Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,971 | Reviews: 2,946
4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour - is excellent. Thick but pale. Moderate but lasting head
Smell - hop heaven
Taste - wonderful. My goto IPA. I think there's something missing but I don't know what... Like I haven't tasted it yet
Mouthfeel - very enjoyable. Not overly viscous.
Overall - for me the standard of well-hopped medium-strong beer.
Analysis - great. Could be better but not much. What is missing?

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle at home. The gargoyle is still one of my favorite brewery mascots.

A: Bright amber/gold with a little chill-haze. Nice thick head - lots of retention.
S: Perfect for an IPA. All hops in the nose, pure and fresh - floral and citrus scents abound.
T: Super hoppy, very bitter, piney. Lots of spiciness. The hop oil is the first to hit, followed by the strong alcohol - 6.9% is a lot for a straight up IPA. The malt sweetness comes through a little bit toward the end - some bready and sweet yeast flavorings.
M: Oily and mouth-coating. Not so much a chewy feel usually found with a ton of malt. This one is more crisp. Very refreshing.
D: Very easy. Only the high ABV keeps this from being a true session ale.

I love this beer.

I have to rank this as the best IPA I've reviewed so far.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle with no freshness date. I like stone's labels but on an overly critical note, I must say the font they use on the bottle's neck is a little bit corny-looking.

Pours a straw/gold, with an exceptionally long lasting 1.5 finger head, leaving some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen. This beer looks fantastic.

Aroma is dominated by resiny pine, with some citrus notes and whiffs of a fruity malt.

First taste impression is of spicy, pungently bitter American hops. Grapefruit is present , the malt backbone of the beer is strong and steps into the forefront in the second act, offering a bready, distinctly earthy finish that is crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is on point, moderate carbonation, very clean, fairly light in body and not overly oily.

I have not had this old favorite in some time now, and tasting it again I find it every bit as delicious as I remembered. Exceptionally delicious, it is crisp and ideally balanced. I find the malt profile of this beer slightly unusual with a welcome earthiness, rounding things out perfectly and setting this brew apart from its peers. In my mind an exemplary American IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

On the short list of my favorite beers. This one was a 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a gorgeous, absolutely clear, and incredibly rich, gold. With lively head and lacing. This baby clings all the way down.

The nose is incredibly floral, with citrus and berry notes. This is what hops smell like! Ok, that might be a lie... but this is what hoppy beer smells like! When it's Stone IPA! I love this... it doesn't quite enter the realm of some more potent DIPAs (or other styles with more intense yeast notes)... but it's slightly sweet and so, so so enticing.

And this is the IPA by which I judge all others. It is clearly of a different beast than Masala or HopDevil (with their toasted malt flavors and richer flavor), on the light side of medium bodied and with very moderate malt notes. which really just provide enough body and hint of sweetness to bring out the hop flavors. This beer really exemplifies the glory of hops. There's floral (particularly rose) hints all over the place, the citrus flavor is very mild (I get very little acid/ester here, considering), and the finish is clean, and there's a slightly sweet aftertaste (the only minor notch I take off on the drinkability side, there are slightly "cleaner" IPAs... although when the beer tastes this good, I'm ok with less than clean). The carbonation is medium to strong, but it breaks mid-swallow and is EXCEEDINGLY smooth on the back end. Where I've found other IPAs to reach an almost oily consistency, this never sticks out to that extent, but really smooths things out.

A great summer beer, or spring beer, or fall beer, or anytime beer. There's enough complexity to pair with a wide variety of offerings (although I'll always be inclined to think Mexican as a top choice). An absolute must for any hop fan, or anyone who's past the all-macro stage.

Heaven in a bottle. And it tastes better (that I can detect) from a bomber. And it's better than that on tap.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Finally pulled the trigger on a 6-Pack of my first Stone product, after having a hankering for some IPA. There was a lot of hype with these products, could this brew live up to the high standards?

Appearance - Just gorgeous, rich orange color with a deep cloudy textrue. Lovely, thick white head tops it all off.

Smell - Very nice floral, citrus aroma with a deep spicey undertone.

Taste - Fantastic bold grapefruity/orange flavor with superbly balanced hops. The hops really do a great job of balancing the sweetness/power of the fruit flavors with a great bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - The consistency of the flavor is great and the aftertaste really leaves the mouth satisfied. The brew really packs a punch without being too "in your face".

Drinkability - This brewhaha just flat out ruled. Definetly going to have to check out the rest of the Stone line of ales after this winner and on a side note the bottle is top quality too (etched graphics over a pasted label=top notch). I look forward to pairing this bad boy against a local fav Hopdevil Ale from Victory next week. Enjoy!

I had this one on tap at the Epic Bistro in Kalamazoo

I got a pint of this and after the first smell I knew I was going to enjoy this. Not as highly hopped as it's IIPA brethren but still reeked of centennials. The tasted was exceptional and the drink ability of this beer was incredible. I had one but I felt like I could have had 10. The bitterness imparted by the magnum hops was so smooth I couldn't believe this had as many IBUs as advertised.

The six packs in my area are a little pricey but it's worth the price. Get this one for a nice treat, you won't regret it.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This is my very first Stone beer. Thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

Very cool silkscreened 12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Wow! This is a beautiful beer. The color is a warm hazy golden honey yellow. Active carbonation streamers dancing in the center. The head starts off as a bright white inch and a half cap and never recedes to less than a 1/4 inch. The lacing is a joy to watch. In fact, I think this is one of the most perfect examples of lacing I've seen. Each sip leaves a spider web on the glass. Small chunks of foam cling to the glass and slowly drifts itself back down to the beer, glittering in carbonation the entire time. Absolutely beautiful.

Smell is very grassy/piney bitter from the hops. Quite aromatic, I can smell it from a half arms length. Taste follows smell and then some. The bitterness is floral and citrus combined. Tiniest of malt sweetness lingers in the background. Added bit of spice for kick. It is very full and works itself from front to back of the mouth, leaving a crisp pucker.

I am left feeling bitter that Stone beers are still not available in Missouri

Poured from a growler into the SN/DFH IPA glass
A: Gorgeous. Golden-orange color that almost glows, a solid two-finger head and light carbonation bubbles
S: When I think IPA this is exactly what I smell. Hop-forward, mostly pine but some grapefruit as well, and a nice malt backbone with a hint of caramel
T: Also hop-forward with nice balance of the pine & grapefruit, fresh malt & a bit of caramel on the midpalate then a lovely spice-floral finish that lasts quite some time
M: Tastes fresh. Medium-bodied but bold, again a pleasantly long finish
O: One of the hoppier IPAs out there then again this is Stone; it almost tastes like a DIPA but not quite as much alcohol which lets the flavors show more on their own. Fantastic balance and a wonderful beer

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grapefruit, pine and dank. Just a tad bitter on the aftertaste for me, but an incredible beer nonetheless.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Very light straw colored. There is just the tiniest bit of haze here. Large 2 finger white head. Almost as good as it gets.

Great nose that is full of citrus and rosemary. Any aroma from the malt is not worth mentioning here; it's secondary. Not too complex, but it's an IPA, it should smell like hops and it does.

The very first sip I took began with a hint of malt sweetness. After that the bitter hop finish dominated. Lots of grapefruit flavor in this one. I do not detect any sweetness the second sip and beyond. This qualifies as very dry for sure.

The carbonation is pretty high, as indicated by the foaming during the pour; possibly emphasizing the bitterness. Good drinkability on this one. It's one of my favorites.

A: GOLDEN ORANGE / VERY NICE HEAD / LIGHT COLOR

S: VERY HEAVY HOPS UP FRONT / LITE SPICE / VERY NICE SMELL FOR AN IPA

T: BITTER HOPS ON THE FRONT / HEBS & SPICE IN THE MIDDLE / VERY WELL BALANCED

M: NICE CARBS / MEDIUM BODY

D: VERY / NICE WITH SPICY CHICKEN WINGS

BOTTLE

4.64/5  rDev +10%

poured from 12oz bottle into chilled pint glass,still my go to ipa,alesmith & racer 5 close seconds,stone has that hop bite and full mouthfeel that satisfies completely!! still want to try pliny the elder,and bells two hearted ale....thank god for craft beer!!!!

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Com'es in a 22 oz. bomber. Pours a very carbonated light copper with a pillowy head. Smells very fruit and hoppy. A georgous boquet. An amazing amount of hops greet your mouth at first, very overpowering and tasty. Finishes suprisingly malty for an IPA/ Round this brew off real well. Nice and bready. Feels creamy in the mouth, and wonderfully drinkable. Could drink this one all night, finding new nuances every sip. Excellent.

Thanks to HardTarget for sending me this one.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Well, as I just received my set of “Stone Glassware”, one must properly “Baptize” them, so the India Pale Ale glass gets a Stone IPA.

The beer as it cut and runs from the bottle a transpicuous golden amber color, the head supererogatory, the texture semi-creamy and the color a bright white, as it slowly erodes the lace forms a sticky sheet to smother the glass. Hop floral at the start, the middle sweet malt, citrus crisp, fresh and ever so inviting, a true portent of things to come this nose, start is nicely malted, somewhat sweet with the top middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is stern in its carbonations, the hops forthright in their spiciness; powerful but pleasing, aftertaste is desert dry, somewhat bitter, quite long lasting. One of several “Stone” beers I always have on hand.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

I absolutely love this beer. The aroma is very piney/citrusy which is very typical for a West Coast microbrew. Carbonation was excellent and the lacing was good too. The color is almost golden. The taste is very malty with very prounouced hops. All in all, this is over of my favorites that I always keep stocked in my fridge. I would highly recommend this very balanced beer.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Another great IPA. This one pours a clear, light amber color with minimum carbonation and a 1 inch off-white head that melts down to a long lasting quarter inch. Lacing is very pronounced, like a ladder pattern on the glass. The smell was strong, some hops, but also the type of fruity smell that I usually associate with hefe weizens. No hefe weizen/astringent taste though. Definitely a hops leaning taste, but not an "in your face" hops flavor like Hop Hog or Big Foot. The predominant tastes were hops and citrus, not much of the SNPA type pine aroma/taste. Mouthfeel is what I would expect in an IPA. Drinkability is high!! No hint of the ABF, a nice balanced (I call "leaning towards hops" balanced!) taste. This is something you could cheerfully swill until it catches up with you.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

I bought this single bottle from World Market in Shortpump/Richmond, VA - poured into a DFH snifter.

There was a lot of hype leading up to my first real Stone brew tasting. The hype was backed up.

I poured this beer into the snifter and it poured a slightly hazy ambery gold just screaming at me "i'm so hoppy you can't clear me up!" The head was great and the lacing was sticky on the way down.

SHAZAM HOPS! Man.. One of the best beers I've had on the nose, all hops and some earth in there. Mostly pine in this aroma and boy was there a lot of it. Every time I agitated the brew it seemed to open up even more

This brew is amazing and totally lives up to the hype. It tasted so deceivingly smooth and easy for a 7% beer. Bitter but smooth, Spicy but not overwhelming. THIS is what I look for when I grab an IPA.

I want to have 10,000 of these.

I've been gaining steam with my experience into american craft breweries, buying singles all over the place trying to expand my repertoire as much as possible. THIS beer makes me want to settle down and buy a six pack, and that says a lot

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Pours a nice, clear light amber, pushing up one finger of head with some staying power, and releasing a big, resinous, piney hop bouquet.

Excellently "balanced" for a west coast IPA, with prominent pine and citrus hop aroma and flavor, but without punishing IBUs. Highly drinkable hop-juice, this is. And all backed by clean, solid malt. Goddamn. I do think this is my favorite IPA. It's emminently drinkable, delightfuly hoppy (and in a non-masochistic way). Kudos to Stone for some subtlety in this one.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

This is my first time venturing into the Stone brew experience.

Picked up a 12 oz. bottle and decanted into my standard pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow/orange. Lookin' good.

Smell: Amazing. I can almost taste that hoppy goodness.

Taste: Wow, that's good. Not what I was expecting. This beer has a great hop character without being as harsh as most IPA's I've tried. This brew comes in all smooth malt and quickly gives over to a wonderful piney middle and a kick-ass centralized bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Why the hell did I only buy one bottle of this. I'll be right back.

Conclusion: Less typing, more Stone IPA.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Clear amber with red hews. The head pours off white. A modest size head forms of large bubbles. There is also a modest amount of carbonation rising through the glass. The head retention is ok...forms a somewhat thick collar that sticks to the glass just enough to remind you its there.

Smell: Sweet, oily smelling hops. A fruity grape and pine needle smell. Smells great.

Taste: Fairly bitter, but not way over the top like I expected from the bottle description. It is well balanced with the sweet malts, playing with the palate quite well. The hops leave a great taste in your throat. Aside from that there is again the fruity flavors which reminds me of grapes and something I can't place. Sweet and well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium to full body. Slightly astringent, but not much. Dry and crisp a good feel.

Drinkability: not so overly hopped that it is undrinkable. This is very tasty and refreshing as long as you like bitter. MMM...can't wait till its sold in my state.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: There's a slight haze in the copper, straw colored beer with a pretty huge slightly off white head. The head leaves behind great lacing and retains very well.

Smell: One of the best smelling IPAs I've had. There's a huge floral hop character in the smell with some hints of citrus and grassiness. There's a little sweetness in there but its pretty much all hops all the time. Incredible.

Taste: Follows the nose very well. There's some toasted malt in there but its mostly the floral hops and the citrus hops in the taste. There's some pine taste towards the end of the taste. I'm surprised to see that its 6.9% alcohol because the taste doesn't give this impression at all.

Feel: this is medium bodied tending towards light. There isn't that much carbonation but just enough. Again, you don't taste the alcohol at all considering that its just shy of 7% ABV.

Drink: very drinkable. I got to the bottom of my glass a little quickly. Its just too delicious and its not something you have to sip. I could easily see drinking this as a session beer, even with the 6.9% ABV.

Overall, one of my new favorite IPAs. This along with Smuttynose's IPA are going to be my go tos for the style. I'm surprised I took so long to try this out given that Ruination IPA is one of my favorites. Definitely do yourself a service and give this beer a try!

4.64/5  rDev +10%

The taste is hop-tastic. Noticeable hops are well balanced between bittering and flavoring. The bittering provide more of a grapefruit taste and the flavoring is a bit citrus with some pine aftertaste. Nice to note that there isn't an oily aftertaste. The malt is noticeable as well. Especially after your mouth adjusts to the hop taste. A good caramel flavor with a touch of biscuity taste. As the beer warms other fruity taste become noticeable as well. Some lemon and grapefruit. Also a touch of orange as well. Overall a fantastic flavor.

Just to note again there is no oily aftertaste, which is nice. A medium body and well balanced in the hops. Also good representation with the body.

This is much easier to drink then say Ruination. This is a great beer.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours nicely into a glass that showcases the thick, white head and amber color. Head retention is excellent with some cracking visible after a while. Good lacing.

S - I could basque in the beautiful scent of this beer for eternity. The floral, fruity, piney hop nose tantalizes me. This is God's perfume. Clearly some high quality hoppage.

T - Such an introduction is hard to follow. The hoppy bitterness kicks like nobody's business and is shortly followed by the dry hop and malt flavors promised by the aroma and a noticeable alcohol warmth. The taste is best described as a whirlwind fugue of fruit and ester and pine and floral with a slight malt undertone. Every sip is excellent and the flavors further open up as the beer warms.

M - Slick, thick, carbonated to perfection. This feels right, somehow.

You ever try a beer and then dream about it and crave it? That is this beer for me right now. It has opened my eyes to the beauty of hoppy character. Well-balanced and totally worth a try.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

This IPA is a hazy light amber with a fluffy and elastic white head that has great retention. The aroma is hoppy! It is tangerine peel with spruce. It is almost creamy on the tongue. The carbonation is appropriate and it leaves the mouth cleanly. The flavor is dominated by tangerine peel. Bold and bitter! Yes!
(rated Mar 28, 2007)

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Lately I've been such a hop whore. I crave them all day, I'm a fucking fiend. So to be certain, I drink this shit all the time.

The copper color has a nice frothy head (yeah, I pour this shit right!). The hop character is full - some floral, some citrus. It packs a nice bitter punch - initially it's all hops but complex maltiness finishes with some sweetness. A loverly beer.

I know "session" beers usually refer beers under 5% ABV. I could session this beer all day and all night.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.