Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance - Light amber or golden with quite a bit of carbonization, it poured with a thick one finger head that lingers.

Aroma - Spicy yet sweet, citrus and floral aromas with a bready smell that I pick up very lightly.

Taste - Very hoppy throughout but it ends up being well balanced with a caramel sweet flavor.

Mouth Feel - Very smooth and silky.

Drinkability - This is a well balanced IPA and very tasty. I loved it!

RJay, Apr 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: A nice light tan ale with decent head and very slight lacing.

Smell: My nose is stuffed, but there is no mistaking the hops in this. An IPA to say the least.

Taste: Again, hops, lots of them. If you like hops (I do) this a beer for you. The 6.9% ABV is also obvious, but blends in with the hops very, very well.

Mouthfeel: As soon as it hits the tongue the carbonation explodes again. While some don't like this, I sure do, a coin flip I suppose.

Drinkability: This is one that deserves to be had often, but sometimes price, and most times availibilty here don't allow.

Stone really can't do wrong. I have a special bone in my body for IPA, and this tickles that itch. It's just a good beer, flat out. I wish I could drink this more often, but I don't see it as often as I'd like in the stores. Keep em' coming stone, I know we'll be waiting.

Bumpon10s, Sep 04, 2005
4.34/5  rDev +2.6%

Thus far, one of the best IPA's I have had in a long time. It has a fantastic hoppy flavor that manages to still be smooth. You could easily drink this one over and over while maintaining a full flavor IPA. Good beer for party or casual drinking....

kcrosson492, Mar 29, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Reviewed from notes created on 11/16/10.

Stone IPA pours a golden-amber color with an eggshell-white, one-finger head into a hefty snifter. After the head recedes, clumpy, frothy ovals and circles of various sizes remain atop the body. Straight, sinewy lines of carbonation move fairly quickly up the sides of the glass. The lacing is great, with a mountain-esque top sguiggly line and many small dots and lines underneath.

When I smell this beer, a wild, unrestrained hop odor fills my nose. Skunk, grass, and fresh bud aromas are evident as soon as the cap is popped off of the bottle. Further delving into the scent reveals a little bit of grapefruit and orange zest to go along with the other hop aromas. A little bit of caramel and biscuit are also in the smell profile, providing a bit of balance to the unrelenting hops.

Bitter skunk, grapefruit, grass, and a certain herbal flavor pop onto my tongue at first sip. The caramel malt flavor balances out the hops in the middle of the sip, then a piney hop bitterness finished off the taste.

The mouthfeel is on the light-bodied side, but the potent hop bitterness stinging my palate makes up for that shortfall. I could use a little more creaminess and less wateriness, but this is a crisp and well carbonated feel.

This is an IPA that I really enjoy and I revisit it from time to time. I think it is a fairly session-able IPA, though the hop bitterness might crush a palate after a few bottles.

TCHopCraver, Dec 01, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Head is white that really stays awhile. Color of beer is a copper almost like a really light orange.

S- I really don't get a lot of smell. I get a sniff of the hops.

T- Earthy refreshing nice.

M- Nice on the senses.

D- Very nice to drink on many different situations.

mattffrost, Aug 24, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a light, murky gold with little, but persisting, sticky head. Smells like citrus, grass, and a faint note of pine needles. Taste is a tart citrus, and pine. Strong hops bitterness, but sweet maltiness, without being syrupy - it is surprisingly light and extremely drinkable.

kingjames1, Nov 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

The standard for SoCal ipas. Copper pour, looks beautiful, aroma, big bold citrus hop, taste, more of the same. Amazing finish, leaves little to no aftertaste, just hits big all over the tongue. Must be some real crystal malt or something

Can't really faultthe mouthfeel for going away, it would be worse if it didn't. Very drinkable. Example: Got a keg of this in Reno for graduation 10 years ago, when just about nobody (especially college age) had ever had it.

Lots of pukey chicks at the end of the night, who didn't realize that this stuff has some kick. I had never seen chicks drink anything so good and bitter. Good times.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 02, 2010

Glassware: English-Style Pint Glass

This is my first Stone IPA although it isn't my first Stone beer. I must say that I wish I would have tried this first as I find it to be an excellent beer. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Stone Ruination IPA

This IPA looks as good as it drinks with a two plus finger head and a slightly cloudy amber color. The head had fair staying power although it retreated faster than I would have hoped. I seldom impart this to the beer but rather my glassware and dish washer. Lacing was good as well.

The smell was crisp, clean and not too strong. It had good hoppy floral notes.

The bitterness although good was definitely not overpowering making this a great everyday drinker. I really enjoyed this beer and I feel like this could be ideal in the heat of summer or by a fire in the depths of winter. One note is that there was a slight aftertaste that was not easy to identify, it almost creates a powdery feeling on the back of the tongue.

I would definitely recommend this beer to fellow craft brew fans and macro brew drinkers alike.

BayernJoe, Apr 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Nice delicious looking light amber, almost clear ( very lighty hazy), good head retention, lacing that zig-zag'd as I drank all the way to the bottom of the glass and stayed there.

Delicate grapefruit/floral bouquet. Maybe a little pine. Had to study this a bit to pick it up.

Tasting, the hops begin their magic, a hint of chamomile and grapefruit. Bitterness comes on strong but interestingly does not linger long as if beckoning another drink. Nice hop/alcohol balance.

Refreshing, tingly,carbonated/hop bite.

If not for the 6.9 ABV, I could indulge on this a while. After a couple of pints, thought I'd better ease up, had to drive. An excellent summertime refresher.

scottblaze, Jul 12, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from bottle to tulip glass. Nice thick frothy head that reduces to a thin line of froth with lots of lacing. Nicely efferevescent with excellent mouthfeel. Aroma and flavor were a wonderful citrusy hop flavor with a little bit of sweetness in the end. The hop flavor isn't as aggressive as in Ruination but excellent and well balanced. High ABV is the only thing keeping this from being an excellent session beer. Another great offering from Stone.

rgrace99, Aug 14, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

picked up a 22oz bomber..

pours a dark golden almost orange color with a frothy head that looks wonderful. this is what an IPA should look like. lace sticks nicely on the glass..

aroma: HOPS!! you just get the instant pine aroma, citrus, grapefruit, orange peel.. but its well balance with floral aromas as well. good malt backbone as well but hops dominate!

taste: again right up front the hops hit you.. you get that burnt taste in your mouth that us hop heads love.. quickly mellows out to a pine/grassy taste. also features fruity esters that balance the beer out.. good malt base but again the hops win.

mf is smooth and crisp.. oily hop resin mouthfeel. very nice

one of the best IPAs out there in my opinion.

cheers!

aval89, Jul 11, 2010

12 oz bottle

Pours a crisp golden amber with foamy white half inch head. Very inviting. Nose is a bombardment of citrus, grapefuit some slight pine and hidden beyond a caramel malt backbone. Sip reveals a wonderfuly blended IPA, hop forward bitterness and strong maltiness mixed in. Bitterness stays into the finish which ends dry. Medium bodied and smooth mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability and about perfect ABV. A strong offering on the classic from Stone.

heebes, Dec 31, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Wow, I'm surprised I hadn't tried this brew yet. This is right there with Hop Devil and Hop Walllop. Pours a light amber yeloow with a great initail head and some of the best lacing I've seen. Smell is extremely inviting floral hops...highly rated because it absolutely makes you want to drink it! Taste is eqaully impressive. Definite strong hop presence that last throughout, BUT has an underlying smoothness that makes the experience very enjoyable. The hops linger on the back palate with a pleasant lightly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium quality and drinkability is very good considering the strong hop presence...a must for hopheads!

edchicma, May 13, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours golden / cloudy orange. Nice long lasting white head. Nose is piney hops, some citrus. Taste is piney hops, citrus with some malt sweetness. Palate is medium body, good carboantion, with a nice crisp mouthfeel. Finish is dominated by citrusy hops with some light malty notes. Overall a very nice well balanced IPA.

Samp01, Nov 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Aroma: I can smell the pine trees in this beer. There are hints of grassy and maybe some citrus notes.

Appearance: It's clear, medium gold with a tall white head. The head crashed quickly leaving thick lacing in the glass (gorgeous).

Flavor: It's a hop forward taste. The initial bitter bite carries through the tasting experience. I can taste the malt, but the flavor is balanced towards the hops.

Mouth feel: It has a medium body

Overall Impression: This is definitely an IPA; the hops smack me in the taste buds. I was surprised aroma was not stronger (the hops seem muted) until I looked at the "Enjoy By" date and it read 03/31/09. This was a bit surprising as I purchased the beer in mid-March (09). I guessing the hop aroma diminished over time. Even being old, I am still enjoying the beer.

Birmingham, Apr 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Stone IPA. I have really been into trying stone lately. The bombers are cheap and the beer is pretty damn good. This beer has amazing head retention, the foam sticks to the side of the pint glass fantastically. I need to invest in a tulip glass. Cloudy orange, a bit pale in some areas and the air bubbles come up in a manner that make this beer look proud.

Stone IPA smells delightfully of citrus, floral, apricot, and subtle yeast. A beautiful amalgam of what I like to smell in and IPA. I taste apricot notes that mix with yeasty characteristics and a slight bittering hop taste. Nothing is overwhelming in this beer, it is perfectly balanced. It ends on the hoppy side but just barely, and it is not very wet on the finish compared to some of the IPA's I'm use to. I might very well buy a six pack of this sometime.

The beer is tingly when it first touches the tongue but I enjoy this feel. It's not too heavy and not too light. This is so easy to drink and can be very deceiving for the alcohol content that is in it. It goes down a bit too good (if there is such a thing).
TRY THIS BEER NOW!

bgreg3, Feb 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into my CBX pint galss

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale gold with a huge, 2-finger sticky white head. Excellent lacing.

S - Citrus hops dominate with a bit of pine floating around.

T - Toasted malt with more floral citrus hops and pine resin in the finish. Very balanced.

M - Medium-light bodied with crisp carbonation.

D - Infinitely drinkable, this is one of the standard-bearers for American IPAs. Amazing beer, amazing brewery!

jsanford, Sep 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours with a lustrous golden orange color and a sticky, foamy head. the aroma has a bright and fruity hop bitterness, with a mild bready sweetness to provide some balance. The flavor likewise has a solid malt backbone, but the powerful bitterness dominates, albeit without being over-the-top abrasive. The mouthfeel is resinous, but the beer is still tremendously drinkable. Overall, this is one of the beers that I think exemplifies the prototypical West-coast IPA. It's like sunshine on a cloudy day. Boom.

devilben02, May 21, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Impressive silk screened brown bottle, freshness indicator stamped on glass. Aggressive, multi-staged pour to form pretty off-white "ice cream cone" head in a standard pint glass. Rich golden honey color tinted with amber, sporting a slightly sexy haze. Solid head retention, forming sponge like puck with sticky lacing down the glass.

S: After a couple of swirls to break up the puck like settled head, the nose released a sweet floral hop aroma, followed by some citrus notes, very pleasurable. After some whiffs there was a detectable sweetish malt base.... A harbinger of what was to come.

T: This is where this brew shines. Unbelievable hop profile, pronounced yet still subtle. Citrus, grapefruit up front followed right behind with wonderful floral notes filling in, then just the right amount of bitterness grabs your tongue. A malt backbone supporting the whole hop extravaganza is there but defiantly takes a back seat.

M: Decent carbonation, not as thick as I expected but certainty not thin, again the hops just stick all over you with their tasty goodness. Defiantly a pleasure to have in your mouth.

D: Well what can I say, with almost 2000 reviews at this time, I'm just adding to the legend, throwing another log on the fire. So here we go.... Extremely drinkable, a classic depiction of the style, west coast all the way, top notch hop profile that grabs you by the face, but doesn't over power, showing its complex hop flavor but not lacking in bitterness or ABV and just enough malt to not be forgotten. A wonderful IPA, and a fine beer period, I can see why Stone gets may accolades, well done indeed!

LoboLikesBeer, Apr 30, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark gold color with about one finger of frothy white head. Leaves lacing at the top of the glass.

Smells of piney, and citrusy hops. Undertones of grapefruit, and a subtle malts.

Has the a strong taste of piney/citrus hops up front. Malt undertones come through. Unbalnced, but delicious.

Has a medium body thats a little bit carbonated
If you like delicious hoppy beer, this one won't let you down. In my top 3 favorite IPA's.

KBoudreau66, Jan 24, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this one on tap for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and managed to find it again today. I remember the first time I bought a sixer of these (fairly close to when I first started drinking crafts) they totally knocked me on my ass. Now, the beer is great, although certainly not quite as stunning. It's got a solid look, just like an IPA should. Fairly weak lacing on a solid head. Flavor and nose are strong on piney hops, with caramel malt and some toffee and citrus in there too to round things out. This is a highly hoppy beer, no question, bitter and drying, but delicious. Doesn't quite reach the top echelon for me (Two Hearted, Hop Red Rye, etc.), but still a very drinkable and tasty brew.

soupyman10, Aug 01, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Finally decided to give this one a try and picked up a 22oz bomber with my weekly Bigfoot purchase.

Poured into a Chimay goblet. I was surprised by the orange/tangerine color, but could instantly smell the hops and citric overtones. Almost no head, a really good looking beer.

Great west coast American IPA. Taste was satisfying but not overpowering, overall the beer has a great balance.

It was the first Stone brew I have tried, but it won't be the last. Up to now I have taken a pass because of the price and because I am not a fan of the packaging (I know that is lame, but when there are so many good choices you need some excuse not to try something new).

mirish72, Feb 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

pours a nice amber with a 1/4" of very fine white head. drops quickly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is nice. orange and grapefruit and pine. bit of alcohol. biscuity malt.

taste is great. nice moderate bitterness level - assertive, but restrained. more orange than grapefruit. bit of resiny pine presence too. nice biscuit malt. bit of caramel sweetness.

mouthfeel is good. great moderate carbonation level and nice body.

drinkability is great. well balanced and very enjoyable brew. i've had this one several times and just finally getting around to reviewing it. great stuff.

grub, Feb 07, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

22oz bomber served in a SA 'perfect pint' glass.
two months away from enjoy by date. (date is a bit tough to spot - laser engraved on the shoulder of the bottle)

pours a bright, clear golden-yellow with a good finger and a half of a frothy beige head. excellent retention and lacing all over the place. for my money this is the archetype of how an IPA should look. aromatic hoppy nose smacks of grapefruit and pine with a touch of malt in the background.

taste follows and even exceeds the nose. just a really tasty IPA with plenty of juicy citrus, pine, and a touch of herbal-ness. nice dose of sweet malt. excellent beer. medium bodied on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, one of my favorite IPAs. just an excellent, well-made, beer. an exemplar of the style.

(originally reviewed: 07-17-2011)

BostonHops, Jun 19, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Hazy, golden-orange color. Big, impressive off-white foamy head.

Smells lemony and like grapefruit/ orange but also some sweet smells. Toasted malt smell, but mainly citrus fruits.

Grapefruit taste up front with a little sweetness switches to a big piney hop taste that lingers for a while. Big bitter bite in back of throat.

Medium bodied, slightly oily nice carbo

Very good all around drinker and IMO a staple in AIPA style. Will add to favorites.

vwcraig, Nov 29, 2006
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.