Join our email list →

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American IPA | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,907 | Hads: 10,418
4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: A nice light tan ale with decent head and very slight lacing.

Smell: My nose is stuffed, but there is no mistaking the hops in this. An IPA to say the least.

Taste: Again, hops, lots of them. If you like hops (I do) this a beer for you. The 6.9% ABV is also obvious, but blends in with the hops very, very well.

Mouthfeel: As soon as it hits the tongue the carbonation explodes again. While some don't like this, I sure do, a coin flip I suppose.

Drinkability: This is one that deserves to be had often, but sometimes price, and most times availibilty here don't allow.

Stone really can't do wrong. I have a special bone in my body for IPA, and this tickles that itch. It's just a good beer, flat out. I wish I could drink this more often, but I don't see it as often as I'd like in the stores. Keep em' coming stone, I know we'll be waiting.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Without doubt one of my favorite beers ever. Just hoppy enough to give it some bite, balanced by sufficient malt to give it the sweetness it needs to balance the bitterness of the hops. Smooth, creamy, hoppy, piney, citrusy, resinous, all perfectly balanced. Stone doesn't seem to make a bad beer. Not the overwhelming hops of Ruination, not too much malt to make it too sweet. Simply perfect. If you have any friends who insist Bud Light is good beer, given them a glass of this and watch the reaction.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Perfect pour. Light amber brown with the nicest white head of suds. Smells of sweet piney hops and a touch of mint. Oh my, this looks good.

This is a hoppy IPA without a substantial amount of malt body. The taste is dominated by a medicinal citrus injection. For the hop-fanatic in me this is a wonderland of bubbly bitterness that tickles the tastebuds long after I take a sip. For the IPA-lover in me it is too linear, and its focus on over-the-top hops denies the complexity of a malty base. Definately worth picking up again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This brew pours a nice strawberry orange, with a one finger marshmallow head which fades fairly quickly into a ring and island. The smell is citrus apple and a bit of pine. Taste is slightly sweet, big and hoppy as hell. Light ready malts with grapefruit and piney hops. Aftertaste is strong and hearty. Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and full. Great session beer and may I just say the burps are exquisite. A classic that'll never die. Everything about this beer is big.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Golden color with a creamy head and nice lacing. Aroma was filled with citrusy hops, orange rind, and some grapefruit. Very hoppy, bitter, nice sweet finish. Very balanced, very good IPA, my favorite! I thought I had rated this too high, but upon revisiting, its really a top notch IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Bomber picked up at Dyess AFB, Texas.

I've been looking forward to trying this for a while. Pours a nice golden colore with a one finger head that quickly fades to a thim layer, and pretty good lacing.

Has a great floral, hoppy, pine and citrus smell, that really makes me look forward to drinking it. I love the smell of a good IPA.

Taste is of grapefruit, hops, pine and malt. I was expecting a bigger hop bite to this beer, but this is a well balanced beer with great drinkability. I finished my first glass before I realized it.

I hope that I can find some more Stone Brewing beers.

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

I had tried this brew in a 22 oz. bottle a while back, and recently bought a six pack to try at home. It was a little late at night when I got home from work, went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle-opened it and took a swig. I suddenly thought to myself "what am I doing?" I grabbed a pint glass and slowly poured this delicate libation in. I brought the glass to my nose and took in the aromas. "This must be what Bavaria smells like", I thought aloud. This beer has a golden hue and a nose of FRESH hops to it. I was once again, amazed by Stone, it smelled so fresh! The mouthfeel is heavy and the taste is quite strong, starting off hoppy and light like most IPA's but finishing with a little bit more bitterness than I was expecting. Which was a good thing. A perfect brew for anytime of year.

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Clear golden orange in color, a puffy white head receding into a super-sticky lacing. The smell is a wonderful thing: fragrant hops...hops ALL over the place, with a very subtle hint of alcohol and grain. Taste is also quite deliciously hoppy. Piney, herbal, with malt subtleties coming through near the end, a lingering bitterness prevailing. Mouthfeel is big and full with a mild tingly carbonation and dry finish.

This is a BIG IPA on all levels, not particularly overwhelming, just extreme in aroma and taste (which is certainly not a bad thing). This is what an IPA should be. Damn tasty...one should always have a few of these on hand.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Nicely hopped, just as you'd expect from a West Coast IPA. The hops have a kick and are perfectly chosen, tasting good from the first sip through the end of the great aftertaste. I didn't experience any hops fatigue, which sometimes happens as a hoppy character comes to overwhelm other flavors in the beer as you drink it more and more. This one kept on tasting like it did on the first sip. A knockout IPA.

4.61/5  rDev +9%

Nothing special to look at. But upon my first sip, I proclaimed this the smoothest-tasting IPA in the universe. Layers-upon-layers of citrusy hops, with none of the lingering bitterness of some of my other favorite IPA's. Oh, this is a good one. The good folks at Stone Brewing never disappoint me...

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

This one pours a nice wholesome amber, with an awesome frothy, creamy head, at least an inch. Real sticky lacing. The aroma is great. It is very discernable and has loads of ultra smooth hoppiness. Smells of leaves, floral, spice, with some pine and a hint of biscuit. This beer smells like how I'd expect a beer orchard to smell; Delicious. As for flavor, this one has a variety. There is a stronger spicey hop taste then there is in the smell, followed by piney, leafy/floral sensations and then a bitterness thoughout the finish. At the end of the taste it almost turns dry, but instead smooths out. This beer is incredibly smooth, and slighty syrupy. The large hop spectrum smooths together real nice.

I could 'temporarily' substitute this beer for oxygen...one of the best IPAs that I've had. Mmmm.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a brown longneck bottle that had something to say to my expectant beer mug. No noticable date . . . though at almost 7%abv and hopped into oblivion, I'm not worried.

A - Poured moderately Stone's IPA generated a tall, aggressive head; which eventually settled down to about 2 fingers of slightly off-white rocky foam. I had to wait to and pour a third of the bottle at a time. Beautiful slightly hazy amber/gold, with lacing all the way down the glass.

S - This smells amazing. Sweet malts and hops, almost fruity in aroma. And ooooh the hops.

T - And oooh the hops! This beer has such a big hop kick. The best balance between crazy hops and malt I've yet tasted. the malts pack enough body and sweetness to offset the powerful hop biterness. The balance is probably the best part about the taste, and it keeps me coming back for more.

M - Smooth. Very smooth, with just enough carbonation. This is a full bodied ale. Its solid and strong without being too dry or having too much of an oily hop feel. There is only a slight touch of alcohol in the finish, which is impressive at 6.9% abv.

D - If beer gets better than this I can't afford it. I can and would drink this all the time. Its that good. The only things stopping this from being an awesome session beer are cost (about 8$ a 6 pack) , 6.9% abv, and the heavy nature of the beer itself, it'll fill me up darn fast.

Long Live Stone Brewery!

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

poured a beautiful orange color with nice head that fell to a spotty coating that lasted throughout the glass. Hops litterally flew out of the bottle and attacked my senses (not that I'm complaining). Taste is a bit over-powering at first, but gradually the hops and bitterness tone down to be very enjoyable. The dryness in the back of the moth is magnificent. Great beer, but one is enough if I need to do anything useful the next day.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Now Quaffing: Stone IPA 22oz.

I can picture myself lying atop the fluffy cloud of a head that tops this clear golden concoction. Juicy citrus and piney hops are the most dominate aromas present. The mouthfeel starts smooth and then gives a lovely prick on the tongue as the hops take over for a somewhat dry and pleasantly bitter finish that lingers, but is not overpowering. Dry hopped, but certainly not overdone, this is an incredibly drinkable IPA. This would be a regular in my fridge if it were readily available in my area.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

The color is copper with a large and creamy off-white head. Retention is very good. The aroma is all hops, strong and citrissy. The taste is dominated by strong hop flavor with an above average level of bitterness. An underlying rich malt body gives this beer a bit more complexity. This is definently a great beer choice for a hop head, but this doesn't seem to be much better than the handfull of other IPAs I've sampled. I was probably expecting just a little bit more from Stone.

12 oz. brown bottle.

Clear amber with modest white head.

Pungent, herbal hops with a nice caramel like sweetness in the nose.

Medium-light body with subtle carbonation and a nice oily mouth coating. Hops are ever so present, but not over the top. Citric in nature, backed by the signature Stone syrupy malt sweetness.

Not the best IPA I've had by a long shot, and not the best beer I've had from Stone either, but still better than average.

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours crystal clear golden orange with a rocky ivory head. Smells of herbal hops, fruity yeast.

Taste is all hops. Sharply bitter hops offset with lighter fruity citrus hops. Medium bodied and lightly crisp. A dry long lingering bitterness. Good stuff, not a classic but good.

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stone IPA pours an orange-amber color. A 1/2" head forms, then slowly dissipates. Low carbonation; moderate lacing. The aromas is all hops; the pine and citrus aromas dominate. Any malty sweetness is nearly an afterthought.

The taste of this beer is driven by the hops (as is the smell). It's so wonderfully bitter, piney, citrusy, and spicy. After a little bit, Stone IPA becomes a bit more sweet and tart. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light; yet is quite full-bodied. Finishes very crisp, with a pleasant spicy/bitter aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very drinkable and tasty beer. Sadly, Stone probably won't be available in Nebraska for quite some time. Thanks Mom for bringing a bomber back from San Diego! Highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

presentation: 12oz bottle with the typical painted label in white and green. stone's definitions for "gargoyle" and an "india pale ale" accompany their brewing philosophy on the back of the bottle. 6.9%abv is displayed.

appearance: pours an orangey amber with a thin head that disapated quickly. might have been a dirty glass, as this isn't characteristic of a stone brew. bubbles rose constantly throughout the drink. what head remained laced well.

smell: very hoppy aroma. lightly piney with an odd but nice tinge of ginger.

taste: nice hop bitterness. not as balanced as some ipa's, but typical stone hop dominance. orangey lemony citrus flavors. freshly mowed grass hop finish. noticed a yeasty bready flavor at the end of some warmer swallows.

mouthfeel: smooth yet crisp. great carbonation with a medium swallow.

drinkability: i found myself drinking this ipa quickly. dangerously easy to drink.

overall: i love ipa's and this is definitely in my top 5. if you love them, the stone hops are a great change of pace to the typical ipa.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

I was planning on picking up some of this over the weekend but luckily my local burger joint (the Cherry Cricket - for all of you in the Denver area) had bottles of it available.
I'll be honest, normally I'm not a huge IPA fan. I'm trying to get more into them, but that final hop bite after swallowing really gets me most of the time. Having tried the ruination before, I was prepared for a major bite at the end, just like it has.
This brew on the other hand doesn't have it at ALL.
It looks terrific. A bright golden color with just the right amount of head. Interestingly enough, most IPA's tend to be darker...but don't let color fool you on this one!
It smells VERY hoppy, but with a maltiness and even a little bit of tropical fruit. There's a hint of alcohol at the end as well. Call me crazy, but there's a cannabis sort of smell, too.
Taste is amazingly smooth. It has a hop bitterness, but it's blended with the flavor of the beer, and not just that post-swallow bite. Hops give you a pineapple and even a little citrus bite with the initial taste and the finish.
I could definitely drink a few of these in a row.
I'd actually recommend this to a lot of people who drink BMC. It still has the familiar "beer flavor" that they're used to, but is so much better in every way. It's a great great all-around brew and one that's got me craving other great IPA's that are similar.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into pint glass. As with all Stone products, I like the illustrations and smack talk on the bottle.

Appearance: Transparent yellow amber with a thick head.

Smell: Strong hops and esters. This smell is addictive.

Taste: Definitely hoppy and mounth-watering. This is an IPA at its best.

Notes: My favorite Stone product. And I like every Stone beer that I've sampled.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I can't stay away from this beer. I had taken a break from it for a while, but after tasting it a few weeks ago, I can't stay away too long anymore. It pours a brilliant copper color with a 3 finger head that leaves a very sticky lace as it recedes.

The nose is just awesome. Caramel, light cotton-candy sweetness, brilliant, chewy lupulin-infested hoppy goodness. I get a lot of grapefruity citrusy sweet hop over a very nice sweet caramel base.

Flavor is incredibly balanced. The caramel sweet malt is there, but not offensively sweet. It is overlayed with a light peppery, moderate pine and citrus hop. Maybe some chinook? The bitter is not big and offensive, but hangs on very well into the finish. Very clean. Very tasty.

The feel is moderate to thick. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is huge. The hops compell me to drink more and more. I like the contrast of the malt and hop on this beer. Might be my #1 session beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Looks nice and clear with golden hue with some streaming bubbles and fluffy off-white head. Lacing is evident. Smells of strong flowery hops with a tad of maltiness, I do love that smell. Tastes of strong bitter hops. Smooth mouthfeel. Not a hue hop fan, so I'm not jumping backwards to drink this.

Not much going on here, just another strong IPA. If they are your thing, than this is a good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the bomber. Pours a nice clear gold color with a burly head that sticks around quite well.

Smell: Hops, mild citrus notes along with a spicy nose and then even more hops.

This brew has a very creamy mouthfeel that is very pleasant. Hop bitterness is dominant and is coupled well with constituent ingredients. Has an almost floral taste in the middle that ends with a yeast laden aftertaste. Very tasty and quite drinkable. This brew could serve as the American IPA paradigm. Cheers.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

I've had this before, so i know i'm in for a treat. picked it up on a trip to kentucky to visit my buddy kmpitz; i can't find Stone in Illinois.

Pours a beautiful gold-copper color with a monsterous 3- to 4-finger ivory head that falls to a slight maintenance foam. Fingerprints of the head nicely line the inside of my glass.
Aroma is pleasant, a woody character with a bit of citrus underneath.
Flavor is a strong citrus hop, that build to a nice bitter, then fades smoothly. Dry-hop is evident, but the bitter balances well with the malt. Active carbonation gives the mouthfeel good character, and a bit of the hop bitter hangs on the back of the tongue.
A great session beer, i could sit and drink this all night long.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.