Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,854 | Hads: 10,099
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Hops at the forefront, in both aroma and taste. Piney aroma on top of hazy golden body with medium, creamy head. taste is astringent and bitter, and stays on the palate. Some lemony citrus notes are in the background. Excellent. (228 characters)

Across the board great beer. Couple I like better but solid. Slight malt and perfect blend of hop character. Not bitter at all on the finish. Overall a great Stone classic. (172 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "enjoy by" date 6-25-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, dark golden color with one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is a moderate amount of lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: flowers, sweet honey, citrus/grapefruit, pine, bread, very pleasant to the nose.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet honey and citrus then an assertive piney hop profile that really lingered.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this is my second beer from Stone, the other was pale ale and I disliked it so much I avoided all their other beers until now. Clearly, that was a mistake, this is a very good IPA, it's more assertive than most but would appeal to anyone who enjoys the style, I would have this again for sure and will try more from this brewer. (901 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I get it, it's very hoppy.. I'm an IPA person, but once you peel back all the hops from this there really isn't much there. Don't get me wrong, I love Stone and will drink these all night, but it's just not a particularly tasty beer. (233 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Initially it is overwhelming, but that is what they are going for. Feels like I'm drinking a pine tree. After the first one, they are delicious. Just as any Stone beer is. (171 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at the Four Firkins in Minneapolis. The best by date suggests it's still good for another three weeks. Poured right from the fridge into my pint glass.

L: Pours a warm honey amber with about an inch-and-a-half of white, dense head that sticks around for a nice bit and leaves some cling on the glass. Clear, with lots of specks of particulate and moderate carbonation visible.

S: Pine hops are the prominent notes in the bouquet, along with some grapefruit and orange/tangerine. Some bready malt notes lingering underneath it all. Not a huge aroma to this one.

T: Assertive pine hop notes right out of the gate, with the caramel and bready malts working to keep things in check. A bit of citrus as the taste moves to the middle--some orange and grapefruit. There's also a bit of clear alcohol as it moves into the back. The close is probably my favorite part about this beer: there's nice resinous pine and much more assertive grapefruit rind that have a little stick and carry the aftertaste for a good long while.

F: On the heavier side for a single IPA, this one makes you feel like you're drinking a substantial beer. It's got smoothness/creaminess, but that quickly turns bright/bitter by the back end, leaving some substantial bitter on the palate. The carbonation is spot-on.

O: I wasn't sure if this one could live up to the hype for me, but it definitely did. This is an expertly crafted IPA that has beautiful straightforward hop flavors that really hit the tongue hard. For all of the big flavor, it still manages to deliver some complexity. I will definitely revisit this one again when I have the chance. (1,633 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear amber color with a two finger high, white head.

Nose: Citrus, pine grass and grapefruit.
Taste: Caramel malt, pine, grass, grapefruit and lemongrass.
Body: Medium body and carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

Great IPA! (228 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn near perfect IPA. I don't know what a perfect IPA taste like but I'd imagine this is pretty close.
The smell is fantastic and so aromatic. The pines and hops hits all your senses and begs to be drank. Tastes is perfectly balanced of floral, hops, citrus, grapefruit, pineapples, too much shit to name. I've been drinking this for years and buy in bulk. (357 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look- exactly what you expect from a miraculous ipa. Dark golden in color, lacing down the glass, and a medium thick pillowy head. Very inviting.

Smell- smells baseline. Underlying citrus but primarily floral, hoppy notes. To be honest, as spectacular as the taste is, isdexpect a more intense, piney smell. That being said, it smells like an ipa.

Taste- this is where this beer becomes legendary. When you order an ipa, you have certain expectations. Strong flavor, beautiful bitterness, and a smell that utters "buckle your seatbelts, this is about to get real." Stone ipa reminds you of why you avoid domesticated beers, and thrive for artistry. This beer, my friends, is one that you can consider one of the "royal ipa's"

Feel- Incredibly intense floral notes, yet this beer is incredibly light, and easy to drink. High carbonation, relatable to a cold soda on a hot day. This may not fall under feel, but this beer takes me back to my first ipa experience and caresses me at all the turns it first took me on.

Overall- Great beer. If you're new to the ipa realm or a well travled ipa veteran, Stone IPA hits on all the qualities you want it to. Expect nothing but greatness from Stone! (1,219 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My third bottle of this one from the six-pack, has the numbers "24 15" with a squiggle or symbol of some sort between them... bottling date or best-by date of some sort? I saw a 6 on one, and numbers like 24 and 26 on others, so I'm guessing this means the best-by dates are toward the later end of June 2015.

Anyway, on to the beer. Looks dark gold, bordering on orangey, mostly clear with lots and lots of tiny little bubbles coming up. Nice head of almost-white foam on top, which is gradually shrinking but hasn't quite gotten to "thin coating at the surface" as of my writing this. Leaves a whole lot of lacing behind as it goes, too -- the inside of my glass seems to have been painted to resemble a white kitchen sponge in some places, there's so much of a foam trail covering it. Bottle/"label" design is neat too, I don't see many of the "printed directly onto the glass" labels like this.

The smell is really great on this beer. Hoppiness the moment you open the bottle, and while pouring. Mostly citrusy, which is an interesting change from the way so many IPAs seem to have a lot more pine in them to me. There's a bit of a piney, leafy thing going on when I take a sniff now (the initial citrus blast fades a bit as the foam on top shrinks) and some other fruitiness coming in, but the citrus is still the primary smell.

Taste is nice, too. A lot of citrus, and there's more pine than in the smell but it's not as dominant of a flavor as in several of the other IPAs I've had. Bitterness is significant (but not overwhelming) and has a bit of a leafy thing to it, hangs around for a just a bit at the end. I get just a little of a bread-crusty sort of malt flavor here and there, but the hops are definitely the primary flavor, as expected of an IPA. In the previous bottle I occasionally picked up something that reminded me of cinnamon, oddly enough. I got just a hint of this with my last drink from this glass, too, actually. In previous bottles I've also picked up on something that reminded me of walking through the woods in a way, I'm guessing a combination of piney/leafy hop flavor and maybe something else? Wasn't getting quite as much of that this time (more citrus, pine, leafy) but it stood out to me in the previous bottles I've had, so I figured I'd mention it here.

Feel is good too for the most part. Maybe just a tad bit more fizzy/bubbly than I would've liked, but very drinkable (while still feeling more substantial than water or lighter beers.) The near-7% alcohol is completely undetectable, I can't pick up on any mouth-warming or alcohol-type flavors at all. Overall feel is nicely "in-between," not too light and dry but not too heavy and sticky either. Overall leaning a bit more toward the dry side.

Overall, this is probably my favorite IPA so far. The smell is great (especially the initial citrus blast when pouring) and I'm really liking how there's a bit more complexity going on in the flavor rather than just an explosion of hops (though that's certainly there too!) -- it's like someone took the things I like about "regular" pale ales scaled all that up to IPA-strength. Which is exactly what an IPA is supposed to be, isn't it -- a bigger, hoppier, higher-ABV version of a pale ale? Very nice first impression from a brewery that's only recently appeared in the stores around here -- I will be trying more of their lineup (and probably more of this one) in the future for sure. (3,455 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

18oz poured on tap at the local Bier Markt one day for lunch. Saw this and figured it was a must have as otherwise accessibility to this heralded beer is non-existent in Ontario.

Appearance - Bright golden color, with some bronze hues. Poured a respectable one finger of head, with decent retention and a nice soapy collar left behind afterwards. Cloudy in appearance but not hazy.

Smell- Delicious blend of lemon, graepfruit some malty sweetness, combined with a sweeter tropical fruit and some mandarin orange. Very enticing and among the best smelling IPA's I've had.

Taste - Wow this was good. Starts sweet, very juicy and fruity with the sweetened grapefruit and something like an unripe strawberry flavor, before the lemon starts to control things and ends rather bitter (and tart). Yet there is some maltiness in the back to prevent this from being too unbalanced, but the juicy fruit flavors are the star. A bit boozy towards the end of the glass, prevents this from getting a 4.5.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and very crisp with the most invisible and seamless level of moderate carbonation I have ever experienced. Great feel.

Overall - a great IPA, one that I would certainly enjoy with more accessibility and a phenomenal (and unique) blend of hops and fruit flavors. A west coast IPA at it's best. (1,308 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: no head, golden copper color. Probably a little old.
S: A nice hop presence, pine pine pine
T: Not very balanced IMHO- not that its a bad thing, but i'm getting a ton of pine foretaste and aftertaste. Malts come through just a few times and are isolated, the rest of the time they are overpowered by hop which is sort of the point.
M: crisp, very crisp
O: A solid west coast style IPA. Not the best I've had but a standard nonetheless.

I have been to the brewery and must say when the fresh cascade batch is available, watch out! Friggin' killer... (556 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

More citrus than pine which I prefer. Medium to high carbonation which was quite refreshing. Dry, lingering finish with a pleasant orange zesty bitterness. Very, very, nice. (173 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: clear, golden with a thick foam; smell: nice, floral, light; taste: some bitterness, good balance; fell: smooth; a great session beer, if you like them a bit bitter and can hold your alcohol (it's 9.7%!) (209 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I only really like a few IPA's. I'm really picky when it comes to these kinds of beers. This wasn't bad, just a little bitter initially. Almost like aspirin. Got better. (169 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I dunno....I guess this kinda tasted like it was filtered and for the masses......kinda boring. lots of hops.... some floral notes......It was drinkable and ok but nothing special. (180 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A little dry and not overly flavorful. Nothing very exciting. Getting towards the end of a large bottle I was not psyched to finish it. No thrills IPA. I seem to be the only one not giving this one a great score but there are so many standard IPA's that are much better. The price is right tho at ~5 for a big bottle (316 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy pale amber in color with moderate off white head. Scent brings pale and caramel malts with hints of raisin along with a bouquet of aroma hops. Caramel malts shine through on the palate in the beginning with obvious caramel flavors, then the fresh yet powerful bittering hops clean house. Mouthfeel starts heavier and finishes light due to the flavor profile. This beer has depth and character, and is at the top of the IPA food chain by a long shot. I have yet to have a Stone Brewing beer that I wouldn't want to drink another of. (536 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -66%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Honestly this is one of the worst IPA's I've ever had. Mostly because of the quality control but also because on the West Coast this is what most people try as their 1st ipa. This is when people decide they don't like IPA's. (226 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Definitely not my favorite IPA, but its decent. It has a great smell, but there is a skunkyness to this beer that is pretty over-powering. Not to much to say about this Stone Beer, yes its drinkable and readily available at a decent price, but the wow factor is just not there. If it tasted as good as it smells then my rating would be higher. (346 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, Enjoy by 05/14/2015. I cannot believe I've had this beer so many times and never a review!?
A - frothy off-white head leaves a spattering of lacing at the top of the glass. Body is golden and crystal clear; sometimes there's some particulate yeast but not this time.
S - zesty lemon and grapefruit, but it's a rather mild nose. A fresher bottle might have helped here
T - a bit tart and very bitter with lemon and grapefruit zest controlling the palate. Malt is mild and more like pilsner than anything. Some grassy and piny hops and a very slight herbal aspect in there as well
M - medium body, moderate carbonation, finishes bitter and dry
O - one of my favorite IPAs. Delicious and refreshing. One of the best year round IPAs out there. (752 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving: Bottle into snifter
Served: 31 March 2014

Appearance: Pours a nice deep orange color with a creamy 1.5 finger head. Didn't leave any lacing but that could be due to the glass.

Smell: Huge citrus hop notes in the nose with an underlying malt sweetness. Very pure nose without much funk at all.

Taste: Really superbly drinkable- a nice hop bitterness contrasts with the sweet malt base. The malts add some depth of flavor without imparting much character- it just seems to be there to carry the hops down the palate without it being too much of an herbal mess. The hops themselves provide a huge amount of citrus flavor- lemon zest, grapefruit juice, a hint of lemongrass, and some cajeput to tie it all together. Really great hop flavor here.

Mouthfeel: One of the best feeling IPAs I've had- nice medium body without being sticky. Excellent carbonation- nice medium bubbles- carry the beer smoothly across the palate.

Overall: An excellent IPA, and one that is drinkable and world-class without being gimmicky, overly boozy, or anything else. Just a straight-shooting IPA with incredible purity of flavor. (1,119 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bottle bought from Tacoma Boys Market

Pours a slightly hazy golden body with an inch and half white head that stayed till the bitter end .Great lacing.
(I don't buy beer for the art, I buy it to drink ! But the bottle was kind of cool. It was printed/painted on, no label)

Smell was a very prominent hoppy pine.

Tastes had the hops out in front. A tiny,tiny bit of tart grapefruit. and something sweet.

Feel was full and satisfying.

Overall a really nice beer. The smell was stronger and more prominent then most. I wish more IPA's had an ABV of 6.90 like this one...

Bravo ! (593 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden yellow like color.
Little to no aroma that I could detect.
Taste was extremely balanced, a little hoppy/citrusy with a tad bit of bitterness.
Little bit of carbonation.
Overall, an extremely smooth finish, an excellent IPA that I would definitely buy again. (270 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I remember that when I first had this, probably 6 or 8 years ago, I thought it was absolutely great. Today I had two in a row. OK, its good, but it wasn't all that drinkable. Nice flavors up front, but a little bitter-harsh on the finish. Very similar to a hundred other IPAs. I think many of those newer IPAs probably copied this. Maybe I'm just burned out on all the IPA nonsense. (389 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.