Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,960 | Reviews: 2,940
4.77/5  rDev +13%

I had had this brew before and loved it to death, but I had never reviewed it. I tried my best this time to give it an objective review.
It poured a very clean and clear amber color with a foamy white head, disspapting quickly. It smelled wonderfully, with hops obviously leading the way to some malt and sweet/sour tones. It wasn't overpowering, and gave a perfect insight to the taste.
It had an incredible, yes incredible sweet hoppy taste which I could see being a little too much for the non-IPA lovers. The main thing I took away from this was the balance which was exquisite. It was sweet yet somewhat biting and bitter at the end. The alcohol wasn't even noticed. It was refreshing and crisp. I really can't think of a better IPA for your money.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

This orange hued IPA is not for the faint. The piney aroma is mild and doesn't really warn you of the staggering bitterness to come. Strong citrus and pine hit the tongue in a juicy blast of hop flavor; that is, if your tongue has been properly conditioned to tolerate the greater bitterness, which is slightly on the harsh side. Amazingly, they remembered to put in some malt, making this brew a joy to drink for hopheads.

Overall: bitter bitter juicy IPA

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a dull orange copper with a big white head that falls quickly. Smells of mandarin oranges and pine with a slight grainy barley. Not as hoppy as anticipated. The hops present taste like juniper and orange zest. The malt taste like sweet caramel cornbread with an oat meal finish. Mouth feel is thin with a slightly creamy carbonation.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a strong two-finger off-white head over a crystal clear brilliant gold-sunset liquid. Smells pith grapefruit with some pine. Beneath is pickled pineapple and cotton candy sweet. Tastes hop bitter with grassy hop flavor with some grapefruit. As strong as the hops start the taste, the malt rises to dominate and provide a cool ending. An interesting transition. Late flavors are light caramel, canned pineapple, mild pear & apricot, and although I doubt there is any chocolate malt in here, I do find some chocolate flavor.

This is a wonderful beer. An up front struggle morphs into a reasssuring base that leaves me begging for more. Hops return in the aftertaste to dry the throat. The finish is just divine. Md body and moderately carbonated. If I had another I'd drink it right now. Sad to see my my glass holding just one more gulp.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

SIPA pours a medium slightly hazy amber color topped with a 1/8" frothy head. The carbonation is low, with lazy macroscopic bubbles ascending within the glass. The nose is one of just picked sweet apricot, peach and pineapple; exhibiting a tropical edge. The sweet aromatics give way to tannic well bittered hops and good rear palette bite. The contrast of the fruity nose and the bitter taste is unexpected and exciting upon the first sampling. The natural acids of the beaucoups hops, ignites the tongue with brilliant flavors of fresh pine and apricot. Although somewhat complex, the depth of flavor lacks the anticipated dimension that one might expect in a brew of this magnitude, perhaps limited by the acidity and / or the super-saturation of hops in the brew. This is a critical appraisal, but for this reason I can't award this product neither a 4.5 nor a 5 for its taste, as I would have been compelled to do otherwise. Perhaps the filtering of the natural yeasts contributes to the attenuated dimension here, and do believe that this brew may be a bit too "squeeky clean" and has its potential retarded because of this. Nevertheless a great creation!
The mouthfeel is brilliant due to the copious acids and finishes dry with a creamy/oily component. This brew simply explodes with flavor, which easily lasts several minutes in the mouth.
A well hopped IPA that is sure to please big time!

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a nice golden-orangey crystal clear body with a nice creamy off-white head. It has a rigorous carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- The aroma of freshly crushed green hops with some hints of citrus and pine are very nice.

T- the initial taste is a nice pale malt that is quickly followed by the taste of big juicy hops with some notes of citrus and pine. Those juicy green hops last and last through the finish. They are balanced with a bold hop bitterness that finishes of the taste.

M- medium mouthfeel but with a big fizziness in the finish. No alcohol warmth or astringency.

D- This is a nice hop beer with a good base of pale malt grain. This bottle seems a bit over carbonated but it doesn't get in the way of the flavor.

2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a white, two finger-head that vanishes slowly leaving a good lace. Clear light amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a strong hop. Starts with hops, somewhere there are malts - there is a trace of sweetness but the hops dominate, bitter finish that lingers. $2.30 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was about to hammer tranniger ( Ketchikan, Alaska ) for his panning of this legendary beer. However, my first crack at it produces similar results. I hate to agree with this guy - because I think he's a total numbskull - but I do.

22 oz bottle poured into a clean pilsner glass at 52 degrees. Very pleasing light amber color. What the hell is retention? Lacing...I don't really know...I have some homework to do...anyway, the head was nice and clean with large bubbles but, was I drinking it in the right glass? Head stuck to my mustache area in a satisfying way.

Smell is it's best attribute - coriander and hops - very pleasant and rewarding, as smell goes.

Taste is good, but more bitter than I prefer; aftertaste lingers, provoking curiosity and intrigue...many flavors; interesting but still a bit bitter. More tasting produces more yearning, but the result is the same with each additional taste - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick; coats the palate.

Drinkable, but ultimately too hoppy and bitter for my taste- I've had better.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

22 oz. bomber. Golden-honey with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly but forms a nice cap and leaves sticky lacing (somewhat sparse, but there nonetheless) all the way down the glass. Nose is all floral and fruity hoppiness, very inviting! The taste follows the nose with a powerful bitterness at both the front and the back -- a great achievement in itself. There is a honeyed maltiness and the taste of peaches and flowery esters. The mouthfeel is full and juicy, very satisfying. Great drinkability...too bad this stuff is so expensive as a sixer. A bomber is enough for me, though. And at 6.9%, there's really no reason for more than one 22 oz bottle anyway. Superb representation of the style.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

This is an interesting beer. It pours a nice dark gold, almost copper. The head is thick and quickly becomes a thin cap. It smells of citrus, orange mainly. Where's the hops? Oh, there it is, in the finish. I expect more hops taste in an IPA. This seemed a little sweet. The hops and malt were more balanced than I expected. Unfortunately, the alcohol is too strong. I'm about a third of the way through and I have a slight buzz. I can taste it over the other tastes. The carbonation is just right. It isn't too heavy. It feels just about right. The taste of the alcohol detracts from the taste and the drinkability. If the ABV was about 1-2% less, the taste would probably be a point higher and the drinkability would be 1.5-2 higher. I can't find date on the bottle, so I have no idea how old it is. It isn't bad, but this wouldn't be my first choice for an IPA.

Edit: As it warms, the taste and drinkability improves. I raised both by .5. I estimate the temperature at the end to be about 68-70 F.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a vibrant golden color with an inch or so of lovely, creamy white head that leaves maybe a little sooner than it should. Decent lacing on the glass. Aroma of spicy, floral hops mixed with a bit of sweet malt. Notes of pine and black pepper. Palate is outstanding - bold, assertive hops grab hold of the tongue and don't let go. The lightly sweet malt acts as a great foil. Body is rich and creamy, nice and substantial with only a subtle trace of the syrupy character that shows up in big IPAs. I could drink this all night, all week, all year.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Grabbed a pint with dinner at Seau's

Very nice copper color, little to no head, nice lacing though. High carbonation.

Very crisp and smooth on the palate, served a little cold. Nice smell of malts and citrus hops. Very full hop aroma and flavor.

Rather crisp finish with a bitter bite expected from an IPA and Stone. Pretty strong, I could feel the ABV after one pint.

Went well with the Mama Seau's steak and chiken combo. I'm gonna have to pick up a 6er!

Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Served in a snifter

This IPA pours a grand head with staying power,wonderful laceing.Appearance is of carbonated apple juice.
The aroma is the freshest of hops,almost spicey.Malts balance out the smell.
Excellent hop flavors, bitter,crisp,spicey.Yum! Minimal malt presence but just enough to counter those ibus. Goes down easy making for an easy quaff. Would like to see more malt but over all a delicious American IPA.

-Cheers2Beers

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer is a dark golden color. It has a thick white head that has died down to form a thick cap on top of the beer. A moderate amount of lace has formed on the glass as the beer has been consumed. A very attractive beer.

The beer smells quite good. To be honest, it smells like high quality marijuana.

The taste is very good. There is grapefruit hoppiness against a sweet, mildly honey-like malt backdrop. Simple and delicious.

The mouthfeel is very good for the style. It is a medium bodied beer with a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is quite good. A sessionable IPA, though the alcohol content is rather high.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Good. Nice hop flavour coupled with an appropriate alcohol punch. Good stuff all around. Cheers!!!!
Since I have to write more:

Sitting here in
Indy’s B-dub’s I drink beer
Selection is good

Stone IPA is
Alcohol punch, hops, hops, hops
Fills me with goodness.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a pale orange color with big foamy white head. Aromas are of grass, dried fruit, and hops. The tasts is of citrus bitterness and hoppy texture followed by a strong dry finish. Biting on the tongue, but very enjoyable for anyone liking bitter beers. Good drinkability. Overall, this is a good beer, but not my favorite IPA. I think this beers scores highly because of the reputation of the brewer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours and comes to rest a crystal clear gold color with a thick white head that lasts. This is one of those rare beers that seems to beckon as soon as it comes to rest in the glass. The carbonation bristles and fosters a steady head. The color and clarity of the body are practically gem-like. You're not going to find a more inviting IPA.

Aroma is strong and fragant with an almost floral quality. It's very clean and sweet, and the smell is literally mouth-watering.

Start is smooth and slightly tangy without very much flavor. But there is an inviting texture right from the start. Stone IPA settles medium-bodied and from there the bottle basically says it all. Flavors are (or could nearly be) taffey, white grape, wheat, and perhaps more subtle others. In two words this beer is all about "hop bitters" just like any quality IPA should be. Finish is melty smooth and clean with an oily and sour aftertaste.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer had a clear gold color with an orange tint and a creamy white head. I loved this smell, piney and floral, a bit of fruit. The first sip gives a hint of malt then a slow build with the hops, citrus then bitter with clean finish. Not too bitter just right. Medium body with lots of carbonation contributes to the clean finish. This beer is easily in my top ten.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

My Father once told me to never try an IPA because I wouldn't like it. He told me that it was very dry and incredibly nasty. After trying this beer I have decided to ignore the fact that my father ever told me such a thing. This beer is good as has turned me on to IPAs in general.

The beer pours to be a golden/amber color. The head of this beer wasn't big enough to create a problem when it comes to drinking the beer, yet it was also big enough to actually call it a head. In my opinion it seems to be just the right. The head retention isn't too bad, it dissapates quite a bit after one starts drinking it. The carbonation is visible in the beer and makes this beer look quite active.

This beer has a great smell. Infact it reminds me of citrus fruits.
This IPA also tastes great. Although I smelled some kind of citrus I could taste none in the beer. The beer is dry and has a bitter after taste that just makes me want to keep drinking this beer. Although the beer may be bitter it feels great on the palate, the carbonation which makes this beer look so alive can easily be felt on the palate. It goes down fairly smooth and has a heavier feel on the palate than normal pale ales do.

Overall this beer is fantastic. I could drink this stuff all day. I will definitely be checking out some more IPA's in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a somewhat light orange-gold with a fantastic rocky head that keeps on giving.

Smell is all nice fresh hops, largely citric. The taste is, as boasted, a hop assault, and it does the whole range from grassy to citric to resiny to fruity and sweet-tart sour candy. There's a bit of mineral undercurrent leading to a grainy, rather bitter finish, and the alcohol shows itself as well. Hop bitterness lingers afterwards.

This is good stuff, I definitely don't mean to knock it--but it is kind of one-dimensional. If you need a hop fix (and sometimes I do), this is a good place to go, and it's definitely quality, but I don't think it's really a go-to beer for me.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Mostly clear gold/amber pour. Very little head, (poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice).

Nice hop nose that let's you know you are in for a treat. Aggressive, but not unwelcome.

Hop fiesta flavor! Nice grapefruity burst, sharp piney flavor also present. Definitely for hop lovers. I can't remember when I have had a better IPA. Probably never.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel. It begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability is tops! 7% ABV and it goes down insanely easy. I could drink these almost exclusively with no complaints. Certainly will be one of my new session favorites, when I can afford it ($37 a case, $10 a sixer around here).

My love affair with Stone beer continues, too bad they are located all the way across the country. Luckily most of their line is available here in MA.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Mmmmm....probably the best IPA I've ever run across. Everything about it makes me tingle. My girlfriend is laughing at me right now as I make full, sensual love to this beer with every one of my senses. The bottle is gorgeous. Standard brown bottle with a wonderful screen painted label. These men delight in their craft. So do I.

It pops with a little his, letting me know there's a little carbonation waiting for me. That little tease. Sweat drips down the bottle. I can hear it calling for me without it saying a word.

She tips over. She has a full body. Golden like sunflowers with a hint of dark mystery about her. She stands there waiting for me. A beautiful head on top a slick body. She's wearing nothing but a little lace around her stem. Shhh...you're making my girlfriend jealous.

She smells like everything I ever could have wanted. Strong citrus with a little floral scent on the way out. She smells sweet as an orange. I can't take the anticipation any longer. I seize her and bring her close to me. I take a little gasp before diving in.

She's a little bubbly. She tickles me ever so slightly. But over all...she smooth, real smooth. A buxom beauty to the end. She's got a great, full body that I can't get enough of. Sweet, hoppy. Thick and spicy. She's a party till the end. I can't take my lips off her.

We are talking about a beer here. So I don't feel dirty closing this with "down she goes."

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Look at my review of Ruination I am reminded of how hoppy these Stone brews can be. I find this IPA to beer even hoppier than the Ruination. I know the character make up is different, but this is borderline absurd. I have been dabbling in East Coast IPA's which tend to have more pop than hop; so at this point I am kinda blown away.in an indifferent way.

APP. Doesn’t quite match the wonderful fall New England evening I'm experiencing. No standout colors, looks very much like a straight up pale ale. Keeps its head character throughout consumption.

SMELL. Fruity and sweet. Can you really smell hops? If you are not supposed to, this one you can.

TASTE. HOPS. HOPPY. LOADED WITH HOPS.

M&D I like a hoppy beer, but this one is a bit ridiculous. High marks for what it offers, but I prefer, more defined characteristics in my IPA's.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

This has to be the tastiest IPA I've ever had, and the most balanced. Floral hops hit you as soon as you pop the top off the bottle. The taste is resiny, and floral with a solid malt backing. This beer is too easy to drink at nearly 7% abv. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these at one sitting. Definitely recommended.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.