2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Ratings: 7,474 | Reviews: 2,707 | Show All Ratings:
Aaron_Ramson

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served from tap into a plastic "bud-light" cup at a local music club. Great IPA aroma; herbal, citrusy, slightly earthy, along with toasty bready notes. Nice thick head that dissapates into a sheet of lacing (even on a plastic cup) and a fine layer of bubbles that remains on top of the brew. Taste is pure hop bitterness! Herbal hop variety; very piney, some orange pith and grapefruit zest; malt profile is hidden under the hop barrage but very little is to be had in terms of malt complexity or residual sweetness. Very dry and assertive. Medium thin mouthfeel. Overall a very aggressive IPA and the benchmark set by Stone. I much prefer the sweeter, less herbal taste of Sierra Nevada torpedo extra IPA, or even the juicy-fruit bomb that is 'Stone's Enjoy' By line. Just my own personal tastes. Fans of a botanical, earthy, bitter IPA love this beer and rightly so.

08-17-2013 04:30:25 | More by Aaron_Ramson

Freshness: Best by 08-20-2013
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Teku
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Appearance is a hazy golden colored beer with a nice sized off-white head. Head retention is very good with excellent lacing.

Smells have citrus and piney hops in the forefront, with elements of grapefruit and other tropical fruits, with a slight sweetness. Very pleasing aromas

The taste consists of a sharp hop bite, with bitter grapefruit flavors. I get some alcohol warming as well.

Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, the finish is quite dry and has bitter aftertastes of pine and citrus hops. I get some astringency as well.

Overall a well-crafted IPA except for some issues in the finish.

08-17-2013 04:04:12 | More by sommersb
jerrytodd

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Hadn't had this in a long time, glad I went back to the well and it still delivered.

A: Hazy, light amber. Decent head and retention

S: Citrusy pine

T: Spicy citrus and pine

M: Perfect for an IPA, with good carbonation

O: Tried, proven and still reliable.

08-06-2013 23:24:39 | More by jerrytodd
scotorum

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: Clear amber topped with a two finger thick white head which dissipated to a thick foam surface film and heavy lacing.

s: Moderate pine, leaning to intense.

t: A piney hop assault on the tongue suggestive of an IIPA. Lingering bitter finish.

m: Moderate, the hop bitterness detracts.

o: A powerful and unpleasantly bitter IPA, typical of West Coast IPAs, indeed reminiscent of Green Flash and Lagunitas, although the latter is a bit less hoppy and far more tasty.

Definitely one hopheads will enjoy. Not for me though, the finish is too persistently bitter, although I enjoyed it more near the end. Yet I just had an SN Hoptimum last night and loved it. And Uinta's Hop Notch the night before that, and liked it a lot.

Oddly, I loved Ruination, which is even more hoppy than this. Perhaps my taste buds do not appreciate certain hops. I'll take the slightly more pricey IPAs from another California company, Firestone Walker, over this any day. And for not a lot more than half the price, SN Torpedo will suffice to satisfy my hop cravings.

08-05-2013 04:57:06 | More by scotorum
Liquoric3

Germany

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first Stone beer from the Brewdog Online Shop, so it might not be the freshest bottle.
A nice orange golden, colour with a one finger frothy white head. I can't see any carbonation in this beer.
Smell is very sweet and I get orange, citrius, pine and tropical fruits... awesome that is how a IPA should smell!

Taste is a short fruity sweetness closely follwed by a big piney hop presence that lingers on your palate.. I quess until the next morning ;) I have to admit I like my IPA more balanced. This is just pure hop bitterness, with almost no malts to back it up. If you are a hop head go for it, if not stay with the more balanced East Coast IPAs

07-30-2013 22:58:11 | More by Liquoric3
mpedara429

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours our a clear golden amber color. A bountiful three fingers of off white head. Very good retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pine, slight resiny smell, and some floral notes. As it warms, a bit of tropical fruitiness comes out.

T: Very similar to the smell. A little bit on the bitter side for my tastes but balance could be spot on for some real hopheads.

M: Medium body that is just a little sticky but still pretty crisp. Medium carbonation.

O: A true west coast IPA. I'm more of an east coast style guy, but I have to respect the quality of this beer. A must try for any IPA drinker.

07-29-2013 22:39:09 | More by mpedara429
scotchbeer

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Love Stone IPA's clean finish. There no yeast taste which I don't like. Stone IPA is like a masterpiece of modern architecture -- minimalist approach with ultimate class, extremely high quality, perfectly balanced. Close comparison i did Stone IPA > Hop Notch IPA > Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA.

The after taste of Stone is just perfect. Better than other Stone varieties.

07-20-2013 07:32:08 | More by scotchbeer
Chug-a-lug

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful light orange in color and just a bit cloudy.

Nice finger thick white head and beautiful lace.

Wonderful aroma of hops and citrus. Neither over powering the other. They blend perfectly.

The tip of the tongue catches a brief hint of sweetness, the hops hitting hard mid tongue, continuing through, and leaving with a hint of citrus.

07-17-2013 21:16:57 | More by Chug-a-lug
StoutHunter

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's IPA yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. When I saw this beer sitting on the shelf I realized that I haven't had it before. so I decided to give it a try, lets see how it goes. Enjoy by July 21st. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is nice, it's not that eye catching but it has clean and classy look to it. It poured a fairly clear golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to to the light with two fingers worth of creamy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is pretty good looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, there's some spicy and floral hop aromas mixed in with a nice citrus hop aroma with grapefruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some a slight bit of bready and grainy malts followed by some more floral hops aromas with a little bit of pine in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was dominated by hops, maybe a little too much so, but the hop profile was pretty nice.

T- The taste starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, I get all the hops aspects that I picked up in the aroma, but it's the floral hops that seems to stick out the most imparting a flavor that reminds of Two Hearted Ale. Up next comes a very slight bit of malts that imparts a light grainy flavor that is a little watery. On the finish there's a very high amount of medium bitterness bordering on high bitterness with a very floral hoppy like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I would have liked just a little more balance to it.

M- A little smooth, pretty dry, pretty crisp, slightly watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was just a tad thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and an above average IPA, it had a pretty nice hop profile that stayed away from the heavy citrus and tropical fruit components and it relied on some nice floral hops to take the helm and I thought that worked out nicely. This beer had decent drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention and I think one or two of these would be good enough for me, the bitterness and lighter body might start to wear on me after awhile. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty damn good with the aroma doing a great job at highlighting those floral hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I know IPA's are suppose to highlight the hops, but I think a maltier base would help this beer a little. I don't know if I would buy a six pack of this anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind ordering this at a bar/restaurant and I think this could pair well with some spicy food, I recommend this to any IPA lover and people who like the floral hops, I also thought it was priced nicely. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid IPA, there's some aspects that I think could be improved upon, but for the most part is was a pretty good straight forward American IPA and the more I drank it the more I liked the hop profile. This isn't my favorite IPA, but it's far from my least favorite, I would say it's a little above being right in the middle, but if I was in the mood for a floral hop heavy beer I would choose Two Hearted Ale over this. Good job Stone this is one solid IPA, I have no clue what took me some long to try it but I'm glad I finally did, keep up the good work guys.

07-14-2013 03:01:26 | More by StoutHunter
BeerDocT

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Been very impressed with every other Stone product I have purchased. Looking forward to trying this baby. These guys really know their hops.

Appearance 3.50: Poured out a hazy, semi-translucent gold. Half-inch head stuck around as thick foam on the top.

Smell 3.75: Nice bouquet. Very spicy hop aroma that is almost floral. Not a thick and cloying floral scent, but light, airy...very pleasant and inviting. Also hitting notes of pine..chlorophyll...is this Chinook? Nice.

Taste 3.75: Front is somewhat salty and features a very subdued hop alkalinity. Middle is very hoppy and floral...somewhat too floral. Middle is also malty and semi-sweet. Finish is dry, with more of the floral hop. Ever smelled a tea tree blossom? It reminds me of that. Pleasant, but strange and somewhat distracting. Aftertaste is wonderful: everything described above taken back a step and distilled...almost like perfume.

Mouthfeel 3.50: Good level of carbonation, certainly fits this style.

Overall 3.5: Good IPA and certainly different from the many other IPAs that seem to proliferate the bottle shops. The featured hop in this brew is distinctive; very clever and well-thought out of the brewmaster at Stone. Nonetheless, this IPA is not perfect (IMHO), but it is very good. Sessionable, but probably not all that great with food. I see the floral hop interfering/clashing with certain flavor profiles. Nonetheless, certainly worth trying this beer if you have never had the privilege.

07-09-2013 06:14:34 | More by BeerDocT
Bobby_W

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Amazing beer. My favorite of all time. No matter what I try I keep coming back for more. Wasn't in love at first, but it grew on me and continues to do so. Very floral and fruity with multiple layers of complexity. Perfect hop bitterness lingers just long enough. Just enough malt to balance the powerful hops. Perfect head which adheres to the glass to remind you it is disappearing by the sip. I buy it by the case whenever I can find it! I've tried many beers that are rated higher on this site, but none come close to the perfection of this beer for me. This beer has an unspeakable quality about it that is hard to describe but that I grow to appreciate more and more each year. I would buy the company if I could!

06-28-2013 23:19:17 | More by Bobby_W
FLima

Brazil

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amber color with lots of thick mushroom head with a good retention.
Delicious aroma of sweet slightly toasted malts, grapefruits and resin.
Bitter and citric upfront flavor of grapefruits with pine and resin notes. Very dry, even astringent, and an eternal bitter aftertaste. This will make you sneeze or have your nose running.
Medium body with perfect carbonation. Alcohol of 6.9% ABV is a coward against its power.
This is a bold IPA, which does not overcomplicate. It is assertive, delivers what has promised, and it is reasonably balanced given its extremes flavors. Hard to beat it.

06-28-2013 13:58:03 | More by FLima
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into becker pint glass. Clear yellow-gold with lots of carbonation and a thick fizzy white head that fades a bit into a thick puck of foam. Smell is lots of floral and citrusy hops. Lots of lacing on the glass after my first sip; taste is clean malts, not quite sweet, with some citrusy hop flavors and tons of bitterness over the slight sticky malt aftertaste. A great and unique IPA, worth trying for anyone who loves hoppy beers.

06-25-2013 01:47:20 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
BigBrewStu

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It has a nice copper color with a small white head.

S: Citrus hops with some sweet undertones.

T: Hoppy, bitter--everything you'd expect from an IPA. A nice citrusy flavor, and there is a certain sweetness to it at the end of each taste.

M: Mid-Body with fair carbonation. Very crisp, and enjoyable in a cooler afternoon.

O: People warn that this IPA is extremely bitter, but it really isn't that bitter. It is rather crisp for being an IPA, and very drinkable. It is definitely one of my favorite IPAs, but I mostly drink DIPAs and TIPAs when I am in the mood for something hoppy.

06-24-2013 19:14:09 | More by BigBrewStu
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.71/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip, best before 8/26/13 nice. Poured down the center and got a massive 2 inch white billowy head, that leaves beautiful lacing. The beer itself is a yellow orange and a little hazy. The smell is grapefruit, pine, tangerine, and pineapple. Taste is all of that, with grapefruit being most dominant in the beginning and the end, with the other flavors lending a hand in the middle. Body is medium, plenty of life, on the dry side, and very drinkable. This really one of the greats! Like someone else said, a bench mark. I haven't had many better.

06-23-2013 16:16:32 | More by SawDog505
SDbrewerJake

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Usualy on tap around my parts... Real nice orangey gold with a light cream/white head. Very fruity up front with some of stones Special B trademark flavours. If there are all the light lager beers on tap all over the place I am almost sure to see this guy hidden in the mix. Stone is a benchmark for craft breweries in SD and deserves to be beside the "giants" dt its stand for craft breweries... Dont be surprised if Stone is the first craft brewery gone wild.

06-20-2013 22:00:09 | More by SDbrewerJake
Tonmeister

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle Poured in a 16oz Goose Island Glass

Appearance: Golden hazy Yellow with a solid thin head. The lacing is maintained when tilting the glass.

Smell: Piney, citrusy, and lemony

Taste: Very Citrusy with a burst of Hops. It is nice and piney with lemon.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and highly/moderate carbonation

Overall: This is probably my favorite single IPA. It is pretty aggressive with the hops, very explosive, yet it is still fairly well balanced. I like it way better than Two Hearted Ale and any other IPA that I've tried. Stone Brewing company is my favorite brewery; they never disappoint.

06-19-2013 03:59:52 | More by Tonmeister
utopiajane

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear, amber/ orange with a good size head of white foam that fell almost reasonably to a thick cap; leaving some monstrously stubborn lace. Nose is big with lemon, floral and herbal, citrus, lime and a nice soft spice under all the fruit. Not a lot of malt on the nose. Just a hint of bread and some caramel sweetness. As it warms the lemon sweetens deeply and so does the caramel. Taste is colossal. Fruit washes over the palate a bit too quickly and meets a heavy resin for a bitter that starts mid palate. Bread shows up in back with some light biscuit right before an oily pine blast. Finishes slick with a powerful bitter that lasts long into a finish that isn't really dry as much as pithy and sour. Body is thin and while the malt constantly approaches it never rounds out and so this leaves a touch imbalanced Moderate to low carbonation.

This was a strong, beer that grows on you as you drink. I didn't find the same cocky personality in this that I have found in other Stone beers and I think I missed that. I also think that the fruit character suffered in the attempt to make it intensely bitter without provoking it sufficiently first. The malt came out more and more to show that it was indeed stronger than you might have realized. The hop character engaged you more and more as well as the expansive bitter just kept unfolding and at the end of the bottle I was mysteriously satisfied.

06-15-2013 14:08:55 | More by utopiajane
BEERZILLA

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stone brews are all top notch and this one is no exception.it pours a hazy orange and imo is the perfect example of the styles appearance,nice head that retains and excellent lacing.

It smells of hops and citrus,more lemon oil than anything else.there isnt much in the way of malt but thats fine with me.

Taste is a hop punch in the face,not much malt for balance but balance is over rated imo.lemon is the next thing that hits me after the hops and bitter.

The mouthfeel is spot on to style to me,i would not call this a sessionable beer by any means but thats not what ipa's are all about anyways.If i had to give one knock on this beer it would be that it has a bit to much lemon oil but thats really nitpicking.

Overall, stone ipa is outstanding and is the standard by which all ipa's should be measured.

06-14-2013 04:56:25 | More by BEERZILLA
Jekyll

3.76/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well was introduced to craft beer 10 years ago and been a member of BA for almost as long. Decided to start reviewing them 10, ye ars later one at a time. Well havent had stone in quite awhile and decided to give this one a go and it is how i remembered . An over rated ipa boosted by incredible word of mouth and marketing. Not bad at all just overrated and waaay overhyped. Above average ipa at best and would be curious where this would score in a blind test without the benefit of all the hype.

06-03-2013 00:10:00 | More by Jekyll
MarkQ617

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big boy bottle poured into a pint glass. Gorgeous copper color, slight haze, generous slightly off-white head. Aggressive aroma, big hops, good citrus, floral. Not as clean of a finish as I think you see from a lot of IPAs, but I think that's a good thing as there's nothing to complain about with the after taste here. Another outstanding offering from Stone.

05-31-2013 15:02:19 | More by MarkQ617
stella77artois

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A - "Powerful" looking IPA. Seemed to be darker than most. A dark golden-orande, I'd say. Maybe I had an old bottle, but didn't have much of a head. Bummed about that.

S - The usual IPA aroma, with more than more normal citrus. Smelled some orange peel and even a touch o' lime. Some piney scents, too.

T - A darn good IPA. Nothing hugely deviated from a typical quality IPA, which isn't a bad thing. The difference in this one is it seemed to have more subtle sweet hints. Touch of malt, and the aforementioned citrus. Pleasantly bitter aftertaste.

F - Solid, powerful. Not as dry as some IPA's, which is a good thing. Good amount of carbonation.

O - A quality IPA, one of the better ones I've had. More fruity flavor than a typical IPA without sacrificing it's bold, hoppy flavor. Highly recommended.

05-30-2013 13:40:24 | More by stella77artois
TheBeerDog

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - light orange, pours a nice head and leaves lots of tracing on the glass

S - Pine, citrus, ya know that wonderful west coast IPA aroma

T - bold and bitter, but not overwhelmingly so

M - pleasant, smooth

Overall - I've had Stone IPA on several occasions, but this is the first time I've had it in quite a while. At first drink, believe it or not, I kinda felt that it tasted a little watery. But then I realized that my perception has been altered somewhat by my recent consumption of many bold high alcohol IPAs, porters and stouts. However, once I reached the bottom of the glass, I was enjoying this quite a bit, and was pleasantly reminded of my previous dalliances with this beer. Overall, this is a great beer. If you're looking for something more bold and daring, reach for the Ruination or Arrogant Bastard. But if you're craving something more drinkable, less bitter, and, dare I say, sessionable, go with the IPA!

05-26-2013 21:51:03 | More by TheBeerDog
CMUbrew

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Light orange in color, clear body, bone white head on top.

S: Very piney with some grapefruit and orange rind to be found as well.

T: Obviously a West Coast IPA. Big piney and resinous hop punch with a sizeable and enjoyable bitterness. As you drink more you can start to pick up delicious flavors of pineapple, grapefruit and bitter grapefruit peel, and slight hints of orange.

M: Nice body, soft feel with good carbonation, and slightly slick and oily. Goes down very easy for a nearly 7%, high IBU beer.

O: Perhaps the quintessential West Coast IPA and definitely one of my new favorite IPAs overall (if not THE favorite). If it wasn't for the high price being this far from Cali, I would certainly buy it on a more regular basis.

05-26-2013 04:45:02 | More by CMUbrew
cozmohollis

Delaware

4.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Orange in color with a white head a really good lace.

S: Citrus scent.

T: Orange and other citrus flavors with a good amount of hops from beginning to end. Really clean and smooth.

MF: Medium light body with medium carbonation. Crisp, refreshing, smooth and clean with a hoppy feel the whole time. Drinkable with a light and dry finish.

O: One of my favorite IPAs. I love how there are hops all throughout this beer but it doesn't over power it. A good IPA for any time, even summer.

05-24-2013 05:52:04 | More by cozmohollis
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.