Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,971 | Reviews: 2,947
4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured out of a lovely 12 oz painted brown bottle into a pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sticky amber with golden accents. A small head rose up after a slightly hard poor but dissapated rather quickly leaving a thin "soapy" film coating the top of the beer and some faint lace stuck to the walls of the glass.

The nose on this is aggresively hoppy with hints almost a piney aroma to it, and faint citrus scents way in the back

The taste is extremly bold and refreshingly unique for a pale ale... Spicey on the front of the tongue with a powerful ammount of carbonation this beer finishes very crisp and clean.

Extremely exciting mouthfeel. Medium bodied with heavy carbonation in the front and a smooth exit.

A total pleasure to drink and a unique pale ale, that doesn't break the mold per se but sure does stretch one's personal definition of what the tastes of a pale ale are.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%

I have always been skeptical about the Stone beers, but the Stone IPA is starting to turn me into a convert.

Poured the beer into a pint glass, it had almost no head and the off-white head that did form was gone in less than 30 seconds. The color is a light, golden brown.

I love the smell of this beer. It is just oozes thick, rich, hoppy, DANK, aroma. One of the better smelling beers I've encountered (keep in mind California IPA's are historically my ideal beer).

The overall flavor is excellent. It is bitter, spicy, hoppy, dank, full-bodied with an aftertaste that lingers in a good way. No alcohol flavor, which is surprising considering how strong this stuff is. I would have ranked it higher, but I did notice a slight mildew flavor in the finish, which may be the brew, or perhaps a slightly off batch. Pleasant, spicy mouthfeel and good drinkability.

Solid Effort.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Courtesy of the Flying Saucer in Houston, this beer is very dark for an IPA, but don't let that turn you off. If anything this beer gave me jungle fever (slinkin). Also has a nice head that lasts through most of the duration.

Smell is hops and HOPS. I like it, and while I'm talkin about hops lemme talk about the taste. HOPS. Hops are accompanied by a slight to moderate sweetness. Bitter ending, but good bitter. Mouthfeel is just right, nothing offensive.

Drinkability is good, but I had to quit when I did because LSU was out of basketball to play after beating Texas A&M. Don't know how many of these I could take because as I kept drinking I noticed I wanted to be drinking water more than beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours golden to almost a peach color. Head is huge thick and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell is fruity and citrusy with piney grapefruit.

Taste is big but balanced. citrus hops are the star while the maltiness is strong enough to add decent complexity. Fruit flavors are interesting and stronger than in the typical IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a great IPA. I really enjoy the fruitiness. I enjoy the complete hop monster IPA's but this is more complex and interesting.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked this up in New England on my way back from the EBF. I had the Arrogant Bastard on tap up there, and heard good things about this. I thought it was quite good, but just a tad overrated. Seeing the other Calfornia beers that I've had in the past, this had a tall order to measure up to, and nearly pulled it off.

Not the best of pours - the goldenrod color was lighter than I thought it would be and even though the head was great, it didn't make up for the less than stellar lacing. Obviously, there's a lot of hops here, but it's a bit too piney and soapy in the back. The front is quite enjoyable, as the maltiness plays off of the citrus and floral notes well, but it gets ovetaken too rapidly once I stopped fizzing it in my mouth and gave it a swallow. This wasn't bad by any means, but I wish it had a bit more subtleness and depth to it. Maybe I'm not used to the overloading and whallop of flavors, or then again, it just might be a taste and style I haven't fullly acquired yet.

This is a solid brew that got much better as it warmed up and as I went further and further down my glass. I say that about most beers I enjoy, but this one had that quality about it magnified by quite a bit. The ABV is felt here, and the carbonation is a bit lacking, but overall, this was fun to try out and I wish that Stone's other beers were available locally. I would welcome the chance to acclimate myself to their other offerings...

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a very clean orange/amber coor with a creamy off white head that had great lacing.

Smell was of course dominated by fresh green hop aromas, lots of juniper and floral smells with a touch of citrus.

Taste has a nice bit of the hop flavor with alot of pine and lemon with a very solid malt backbone keeping this very balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium thick with a bit of oilyness.

Drinkability is very good on this IPA, it would be a regular in my fridge if were available in my area.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a glass from a bomber. dark gold at the top fading to a golden color toward the bottom. Aggressive pour yielded about 2" of sustained head. Lots of lacing as I drank it down. Smell is not as hoppy as the bottle claims. Flavor is, in my opinion, the perfect IPA. Hoppy flavor without an extreme bitter aftertaste. Leaves you wanting the next sip right away...nice and dry. Mouthfeel is hoppy oil and very smoot. Could drink 3 or 4 of these, but then i'd be....well I'd better get started. Another great job by Stone!

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a great IPA. The aroma is in full and assertive; primarily citrus and floral. This is what I expect from an American IPA. The flavor is good and bitter with a little sweetness but definitely tilted to the hops. The mouthfeel is round and full with a medium body. This beer finishes clean but bitter and leaves me wanting more. Any hop head will happy with this one!!

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: A very orangish gold color with a white head. I made the mistake of allowing someone else to pour my first one and I missed out on the thick lasting head that my second one had.

Aroma: Hops and citrus. Not an overwhelming smell, but nice.

Taste: I find myself thinking of this IPA quite often when tasting other IPA's, thats probably not a good thing when it comes to reviewing but to me this IPA had a nice balance of the bitterness of the hops and a nice malty sweetness. The sweetness is subtle enough not to take your attention away from the awesome hops. Some grassy and piney hints.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp, I tend to like that in an IPA.

Drinkability: I was certinaly glad I had two bombers. A week later I bought a six pack and enjoyed them all.

I enjoy this offering from Stone. This was the first brew from Stone I ever had and I was sold after it on their brews. This IPA seems a bit over the top hoppy at first but after taking a couple slow sips the complex taste is exciting. I will never hesitate to purchase this IPA again, one of my current favorite IPA's.

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter for my first-ever taste.

A: Light pour yields a bright amber-orange body with little head. The ale is very hazy.

S: Floral, citrusy hops, with a slight nuttiness. Caressess the the nostrils, but is very mild.

T: Mouth coating bitterness, but again, very mild. Nutty flavor is increased, along with great hop flavor. I actually expected more hop power though.

M: Good, tingling carbonation. Slightly thicker than it appears.

D: This competes with Hop Devil for my new favorite IPA. I thought it would have more potency than it does, but I'm actually glad that it doesn't. This makes it highly quaffable.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Yellow and orange hues emit from the glass as if it were almost glowing. A decent head of about one finger adorns the top of the glass. The head is bubbly and slightly off-white. Very clear and fairly pale (as it should be).

The bouquet is pine and citrus, a dash of pepper, and I even got some pineapple. Very fresh smelling with a touch of that nice fresh cut grass smell. I'm also getting a slightly malty smell that's reminiscent of sugar cookies. A touch of apple and some other fruit that's almost sour smelling (but not in a bad way).

Taste is warm and malty in the beginning. A little alcohol spice in the middle. Ends with an IPA's characteristic hoppy bitter bite. Overall, quite delicious, but doesn't quite live up to the smell and appearance.

Light to medium bodied with a rich smoothness that borders on creamy. Starts a little sweet, but fades to a nice bitter end.

A solid IPA. Hits on the IPA style's high points, but with a refreshing mode of operation. Certainly could have another.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Pours a golden honey with a dense, pillowy off-white head that sticks around throughout.

Smell: Piney, somewhat floral hop aroma. Not much going on here.

Taste: A dense wall of hoppy goodness backed by a respectable nutty malt backbone. Not as overly hoppy as Ruination and much more balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: The alcohol is well-hidden but the heavier mouthfeel detracts slightly. No worries, though, I'm sipping this one mostly.

Not bad. I guess my standards are a bit high on this style as I can get Masala Mama on tap pretty much whenever I want, but this is a solid brew from Stone. Well-balanced but still awesomely hoppy.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

I love Stone's stuff more and more everytime I drink it. Pours a reddish amber in color with a thick creamy head. Smells of strong hops and citrus with a hint of pine. Taste is bitter and has a fairly strong alcohol flavor. Very crisp and refreshing though. Mouthfeel is very carbonated but more balanced than most IPAs. Very drinkable if like a good IPA as well as being moderately affordable.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

How the hell did I not review this brew by now? Guess it was so good I didn't think of writing anything. Crispy light drinking but in the end it becomes dry. Flowery hop profile. A bit thin in the mouth for most of the pull. Highly filtered. waves of carbonation fill the glass.

Notes: One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Milder than the big freakshows

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: orangey gold, with an off white head that has great staying power. Wonderful Clarity. Where are the carbonation bubbles?

Aroma: Classically hoppy. Like a citrus earth perfume. There is malt in the background to give this beer just a nice thick aroma. Very wonderful.

Taste: Whoo, boy. This one is all about the hops. Interestingly enough though the malt comes through at the end. I've never had a beer that went from bitter to sweet. Very interesting. Its got a grassy hop flavor with a nice bitterness and an earthy malty finish. Scares you at first with the bitterness, but suprisingly, it isn't overpowering. Fairly well balanced actually. Hop forward most definately, but that is what the American IPA is all about. Man these guys at Stone sure do a great job. Some toastiness is evident as this beer warms. Gets a little sweeter too, which helps.

Mouthfeel: A Medium body with a crisp carbonation bite. Although, I would rather see less carbonation in this one.

Drinkability: I wish I had more than this bomber.

Notes: I have come to love IPAs and I must say that this is definately one of the better ones I've had. I like an IPA that has more sweetness to balance the hop bitterness, which is why I love Dogfish Head's 90 minute, but this one does a great job for the style. The appearance of both of the Stone beers I have had were superb, and their flavor is excellent. Definately one of the best breweries in America.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

so far, this is the best IPA ive ever had. just a great all round beer. heavy on the hops, but not as...raw, as its arrogant bastard cousin, much smoother. pours a light, pure gold color...taste-bright, citrusy hops take the lead, and not much else is prominent, yet somehow it seems really balanced; it starts off really good and stays interesting throughout. as usual though with hoppy beers after a while i get all hopped out and dont want anymore. excellent mouthfeel;the aftertaste is hoppy but not as bitter as others in its class.
im no hophead, but i will definitely pick up this one again on occasion should i feel the need for a hoppy beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. brown bottle pored into my favorite stone 9th anniversery pint glass. it pores a clear but slightly hazzy golden color with great head retention threw out the time. smell is just pure hops, nothing else. the taste is as of no surprise - great hops. a great balance between the hops and malts. no bitterness at all. just pure hop sweetness to my tounge. everything about this beer i love. it is allways a regular in my fridge. this beer will be near my side in my coffin.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

folks we have a winner.

appearance: i'd to give higher marks here, i really would. However the beer just looks "thin". about like water. the head doesn't last to long in big form, but settles into a solid cenimeter that never leaves. the color is light orange....but again it's very, very clear. no trace of chill haze, a change of pace from anderson valley's cloudy beers.

smell: ah there it is. some nice creamy hops. there's not much malt besides base malt is this sucker...you can tell that by the color. This leaves us with the pure hop. werd over the campfire, these the hops are Ahtanum, an offshot of casade, like cascade but a little different. I like that. That last 5 ipa's i've had have had some sort of malt character, and I've complained in a big(great devide) to a small(green flash, ok the malt actually works in that one) way. My wish for a maltless IPA has been granted here.

taste: hops and nothing but the hops. like bitting into a hop. yet, there is a certain, refined holding back here, despite the label. The hops provide 100 percent of the flavor here, and yet they didn't go overboard. On the spectrum of malty ipas with 1 being super malty and 10 being hoppy this is a easy 10. And yet, I guess I grew to like some malt in my IPA's. However this is a kick ass ipa, this is why I love craft beer, the diviserity. oh yeah the actual flavor? more fruity that piney, tons of grapefruit. the heaviness of the hop flavor actually completely overwhelms the bitterness. This could be an older sample,(but it's still tastalicious. man this beer has the greatest aftertaste. (again, reviewed in style for a non-malty ipa. imho they are two different stlyes, malty and non-malty)

mouthfeel: well it's watery. funny thing is I can taste hop oil. no really. like the hops added some body. since this beer is a hop deliverly system, it works

drinkability: yeah, drink up. yes it's drinkable. the body is light, but within reason. when you set your glass down, you start thinking about another sip. remember those bitter beer face comercials? this was the beer. ok i'm bored half way threw the second beer, better to spread the sixer out, rather than try to drink a sixer in an eve.

My favorite stone beer i've had. wait, i forgot about the Russian imperial stout. anyways, the only ipa that is perhaps better than this, is Racer 5 or mabey the russian river ipa( a draft verus bottle comparison isn't fair). or green flash, or anderson valley. uh yeah all those are good... stone, once tasted never forgotten.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a half inch yellow head. Head falls fairly quickly. Some lacing.

Strong aroma of Piney hops and lightly burnt caramel. Some sweet citrus.

Nice strong hop flavor but a lot more going on with this beer. The caramel flavor and sweetness are very smooth and balance the hops perfectly. The hops really stick to your tongue though and stay with you.

Creamy medium body.

This in my view one of the best IPAs out there. The hops in the aftertaste taste great on the first one, but I think sometimes it can add up to be a bit too much after a couple/few, which is the only (and very minor) downside in the drinkability of this spectacular brew to me.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in an imperial pint glass:

A light tan head almost 1.5" tall. Good sticky lace and retention on a bright copper body. Gentle carbonation. Citrus west coast hops with a hint of pine followed by a solid carmel malt aroma. Has a medium body with enough carbonation to move things along. The hops of course are up front and last to the finish. Overall I'm a bit surprised at the balance of this beer. Not overly aggressive but no wimp by any means. It is a Stone afterall.

3.04/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle poured into a nonic. Thick antique white head starts off around an inch and fades to a bare skim on the surface. The beer is a slightly cloudy gold. Head leaves just a little spotty lacing.

Aroma is predominantly hop, backed by a mixture of fruit, apple, banana, a little fresh baked white bread. It's nice but all pretty faint. I really have to stick my nose in and swirl to get it.

Taste is almost all hop, a little like sucking on a hop cone (and I really don't recommend sucking on hop cones). An astringent bitterness right up front. Again, a little apple and bread under the hops. Just enough malt to let you know that this isn't just a fizzy tincture of hop, but not nearly enough to provide any balance. Finish is dry with more bitterness sticking in the back of the throat. It'll be there for a long time. That's not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but I wish there were more malt to fill things out. The result is that it all comes across as harsh and thin. I think I like what their yeast is doing, it would be nice if it had more to do. There is some sense of the alcoholic strength near the end, but very understated, doesn't seem like a 6.9% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little watery. It helps drinkability, but is a little unsatisfying. I doubt I'll bother getting another one.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours out that nice IPA color - A slight haze that could be from chill, a light amber with an eggshell head. The head fizzes up to a finger thick then relaxes to a nice eggshell scum, leaving behind curvy, intricate, lazy lacing.

Smell - woo, yup, that's my Stone IPA, for sure. The scent is like a fist made out of grapefruits punching you in the face while holding a slice of grapefruit, its squirting juice stinging your eyes and skin. Mmm! There are slight tinges of orange and lemon peel, but it's all citruis, both sweet and bitter.

As this warms, the creaminess, the smooth vanilla-ness of the malts really gets more and more refined and more tasty - it continues, despite the temperature, the be followed by a slap of deep, groovy hops, grapefruity as they smell.

Nice crisp carbonation is followed by a smooth, creamy mouthfeel that leaves behind a relatively crisp aftertaste for an IPA.

Yum yum. This IPA could be other companies' DIPAs. It's such a wonderful definition orf the style, it deserves to be recognized as one of the best.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer is a nice bright bronze-orange. It is almost clear. The head is big and bubbly. The smell and taste are both great. There is a floral and citrus hops aroma, a sweet bread malt smell. The taste includes these flavors as well. The mouthfeel is perfect, not watery, not thick or oily. There is plenty of carbonation. It is incredibly easy to drink.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this on tap at Mt. Dragon in snowmass, co last weekend. Very nice

Poured amber to bronze in color with a tight/white 1 finger deep head that stuck around most of the pint, bubbles cling to the side of the glass and dance of the head with every pour. Good lacing

Smell: Fruitiness/biscuitty smells and piney hop odors

Taste: Fruitinesss and citrus and pine hops war for your attention, but in dignified manner. Not as in you face as most stone ales I've had & I appreciated the subtle yet powerful tastes showcased. Dry sweet/piney finish with hints of alcohol as it warms

MF: Extemely well balanced with good carbonation. Smooth and moreish

Extremely quaffable, drinks about 2abv lower than listed. Will get some bottles soon to compare, don't remember it being as tasty. I usually like draft better most of the time

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance – Pale orange/yellow. Pours a big head. Some Lacing. Really cool bottle.

Smell – An assault of fresh woody and piney hops.

Taste – Strong piney hops and other varieties. Spices. Balanced finish. There is a lot going on, I enjoyed letting it linger on my tounge.

Mouthfeel – Full body, solid malt backbone. Ripe carbonation.

Drinkability/notes – A serious IPA but still drinkable. Will satisfy a hop craving or the need for a nice sipping beer on a warm day. (no freshness markings)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.