Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,696 | Reviews: 2,879

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.05/5  rDev -4%

pours a pretty clear golden color. good amount of head. looked good in a pint glass. very light fluffy feel, lot of candy and citrusy grapefruit notes, fair amount of lemon. good earthy aroma, a little musty and dank. very bitter though, not for all .

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a solid West Coast IPA, and easily one of my top 10 IPA's.

The malt bill is rather subtle, but definitely proficient enough. I would describe it as a wonderfully crafted loaf of bread, with hints of brown sugar and caramel. It isn't deep at all, leaving a crisp, not overwhelming taste of just absolutely wonderful malts on the tongue. I wouldn't consider this malt bill aggressive at all, but as I said it is definitely proficient.

Stone absolutely nailed the hop bill on this beer. When they state that both bittering hops and aroma/flavor hops are well balanced, they are 100% stating the truth. The fresher you get this beer (always check the best by date), the more pronounced the bittering hops will be. If you get an older batch of this beer, the bittering hops probably have settled and you will be left with a sweeter IPA (which some people like). This last batch I got however is dated best by 05/04/14, and it is 02/26/14. I would consider this rather fresh, but not as fresh as I would like.

I've tried probably close to 20 6-packs of this beer, so I feel as if I'm rather qualified to rate it.
The hop profile is rather complex....I see that a lot of people describe the hop profile as "citrusy", but honestly that isn't what first comes to my mind. The forward hop flavor in this beer, to me at least, is a variety that is PUNGENT in humulene and low in alpha acids (such as a noble hop). I'm rather sure they don't use noble hops for this beer, but that is what the flavor reminds me of, which leads me to believe the primary flavoring hop is rather low in alpha acids and high in beta acids, particularly humelene and myrcene. With this being said, I do taste a slight citrus note, but it isn't the predominant flavor. It is a rather bitter grapefruit/mango/papaya type flavor. The dominant hop flavor I get from this beer is that of an herbal variety. I mean very herbal, almost like a lemon thyme/rosemary/spearmint flavor. Either way, I fully approve of this hop profile. The bittering hops and flavor/aroma hops they chose beautifully compliment each other, making this one of my favorite IPA's.

I don't describe the pour of this beer because I don't pour IPA's. I think that the carbonation snap that is achieved directly from a bottle is essential in a proper tasting. Pouring these beers releases important volatile essential oils into the air, many of which are important to the final characteristics of the beer.

Cheers people!!! This one gets an easy 4.5/5, and that is being stingy!!!

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone first came to Chicagoland in the Spring of 2010.

This was about the time I was beginning to expand my craft beer horizons and Stone was a great brewery to dive into.

Not quite sure why some video reviewers knock on this IPA (thinking Better Beer Authority) here. Although those guys are a bit goofy at times and I find myself disagreeing with them about 80% of the time.

So here is the review. Had this beer on-tap from my basement kegerator (many more pints to come).

Appearance is a bit orange with a nice bright look. Nice lacing on the glass when swirled and about a two finger head.

Smell is citrus focused with a bit of carmel malt at the tail end.

Taste is very smooth. Well balanced play with the hops and malt here where one does not overpower the other. Dry finish. Typical West Coast IPA taste and from the guys that really invented the San Diego IPA style in the 90s.

Mouthfeel is not what you would think with this. Coming in at 6.9% one would think a heavier syrupy mouthfeel would be present. Stone IPA is light and smooth. Some may say a bit watery for the style, but I think it works well with this offering.

Overall just a good solid beer. Stone delivers and I can see why they have such a cult following.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.