1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

BoilerUpNavy, Aug 26, 2013

drinkinmiles, Aug 26, 2013

kwkurdziel, Aug 26, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer embodies a very masculine styling of the IPA, with the barrage of hops that hits your pallet all of the way to the smooth finish and crisp flavor despite its relatively high ABV%.

Appearance is irrelevant in beer, in my opinion. I drink it for the flavor, and complexity, or to simply get weird. So let's move on.

Smell: Has a very strong pine note, with a citrus follow up that pierces through your nasal passages. Lemongrass seems to be the main reason for this citrus and slightly earthy smell. You can definitely pick up on the large quantity of hops used to brew this beverage.

Taste: Despite its ABV% of 6.9 this beer is smooth from start to finish, the malt flavor washes over your pallet paving the way for a crisp pine flavor, and finally leaving your pallet with the slight bitterness due to the hops. Definitely smooth, and complex with some slight fruit note in it. This beer will leave you craving another sip.

Mouth-Feel: Cleanses easily throughout your mouth, and the hops/alcohol gives a nice dry sensation. Not overly dry. Smooth and easy to drink, leaves a somewhat oily feel as the hop bitterness lingers.

Overall: I am the reason we offer this beer in the bar I work at, being in charge of beer/liquor orders has greatly expanded our collection and quality, and this is the premiere IPA we offer after the Stone RuinTen, very popular, economical, and allows Guinness to float on it beautifully for a nice stout Black 'n Tan or Doberman. This is one of the beers I always have stocked at home, and will never allow to be 86'd in the bar. I highly recommend this beer to everyone who is expanding their beer horizon. Keep up the excellent work Stone.

Adastra, Aug 26, 2013
4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm fresh to Beer Advocate at first, it was because of this site I went beer hunting starting with the top 250 beers I could find around my area. On that list, was a lot of Stone beers. I still Have 4 bottles to go after the one I'm having now, which is the IPA. By popularity and rating, the remaining bottles are Double Bastard, Imperial Russian and Espresso Imperial Russian, and the Ruination. Finishing my intro, I realize I'm probably not a big fan of IPAs. This "hop" taste seems to be the big factor in some of the ratings (remember, it's just my perspective) and my tongue just isn't a huge fan. Other IPAs I enjoy however are this one and Firestone's Pilsner. When people say bananas or grapefruit, I always wonder how the heck can you taste that, but then again, I'm a novice so I respect everyone for how they taste beer. That's what makes us all individuals.

Now, onto what I thought.

A: It looked nothing special, the bottle I mean. Classic brown bottle, label, and so forth. Drank straight from a bottle, but poured into a glass for the sake of appearance. Looked like a orange/yellow color with a one to two finger head. Not cloudy, but not clear.

S: Right away my nose was pleased by a sweeter smell, but also toasty. All I know is that my nose was pleased with it, creating a refreshing facial expression. I can smell the hop in it, considering it's an IPA, but not too overwhelming.

T: At first, it was a mixture of sweet and tangy, followed by a buttery/bitter woody taste. Aftertaste was smooth, and the hop wanted the last word for sure. It was almost like Firestone's Pilsner, except it had a little more strength to the hop. No complaints here though. Didn't taste any specific fruits or anything like that, but I'm sure other tasters have.

M: Carbination was there, not as strong as Pepsi or coke, but not light like Mountain Dew or Red Bull. Felt bubbly, but soon dissipated after the swallow. It wasn't completely smooth, but it was enough to say, "Ah, not too bad" and then take another gulp. After a few takes, I declared, Yes, I like it.

O: It's a good beer. I did enjoy this beer better than the other Stone beers I've had, which were the Arrogant Bastard, Gotterdammerung and Self-Righteous beers. I can't wait to try the other ones mentioned. It was smooth for me, had a hint of sweet taste without an overpowering hop flavor. I did try and orange slice with it, and it gave an additional positive flavor to it, smoothing it out more, but not much more. Good Job Stone, you have a returning buyer.

nexumen, Aug 26, 2013

hoppyboy69, Aug 24, 2013

JackDempsy, Aug 23, 2013

smogfood, Aug 23, 2013
3.96/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Orange tinged golden color. Clear. Light carbonation visible. Pours with nice ivory head. Good retention. Beautiful medium thick lacing.

Citrusy smell, particularly orange zest. Certainly some pine here. Mild sweetness in background.

Big rush of hops up front, fades to tart grapefuit in the middle with strong, bitter, piney finish.

Mouthfeel is light without feeling insubstantial. Sits nicely on the tongue. Moderate carbonation. Very smooth beer.

This IPA isn't the most complex of its kind, but it's so eminently drinkable. Certainly one of my favorite go to beers of the summer. Always have wished that the flavors interacted more rather than hitting the palate in distinct phases. But certainly an IPA I recommend for individuals wanting to tread in a more hoppy direction.

DJScroggins, Aug 23, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

McAndrew, Aug 23, 2013

iwillhaveanother, Aug 22, 2013

adamcarlson28, Aug 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

seavercm, Aug 22, 2013
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.