2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,446 | Reviews: 2,704 | Show All Ratings:
d1blet

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle poured into generic pilsner glass

Appearance: Pours a light golden amber with hues similar to that of redwood. Thick 2-finger head with a lacing that lingers nicely on glass.

Smell: Floral hops with an overt sweetness.

Taste: Light crisp opening that is a bit indistinct, but quickly moves onto a light maltiness that is crisp. A refreshing hoppy bitterness ends with hints of citrus. Very refreshing on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Light creaminess with lots of bubbly carbonation.

Overall: I can understand why this is such a highly rated IPA. It's an excellent refreshing beer that pairs well with food (I had it on the side with a steak) and on its own in during the summer months. If a friend were to ask for some recommendations for an IPA, Stone's IPA would definitely make the list.

08-29-2011 04:13:04 | More by d1blet
ghowehattrick

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Been working my way into IPA's recently, Stone IPA looked like a nice one to have a go at. Poured into a tulip glass from bottle.

A: Orange/light shade of brown, mostly clear throughout. Finished with a 1" head with thick light-tan foam. Left uneven lacing shrouded thick around the glass as it went down, which was pretty quick!

S: Just what I was looking for when I began getting into IPA's; slight sting on the nose, you can almost guess what it will taste like by smelling it. Citrusy/pine vapor.

T: Very satisfying. Tastes like it smells. I would put this a notch or two above Lagunitas on the hop presence but still felt like a solid middle-of-the-road IPA. The hop flavor remains constant but doesn't overpower. Doesn't taste like a 6.9%; alcohol seemed more subdued to me.

M: Medium body overall, finishes on the dry side, but retains some moisture in the mouth.

O: Haven't always been into IPA's but this one impressed. I would have it again for sure if I was after some IPA's.

09-02-2011 02:37:58 | More by ghowehattrick
Kirch

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Glass: Double old fashioned inward taper
Aging Notes: None
Bang for the Buck (oz*%/$): 72*6.9/11 = 45.2

A: Yellow, slightly turbid.

S: Smells like pot. Citrusy and lightly floral, maybe lemon.

T: Lemon citrus. Late lingering metallic notes.

M: Refreshing

O: Overpriced, overrated. Drinkable.

12-27-2011 09:19:42 | More by Kirch
JennyJam

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I drank this straight from the bottle but from my observation it looks amber-golden with a little bit of head.

The smell is fresh and hoppy. The hops bite through my nose even!

This beer is deliciously complex. It starts off with a good blast of hops, then mellows into a still hoppy, yet smooth, crisp flavor with an extremely clean finish. It's a little resiny, as some IPAs are, but it's not overwhelming. Overall, a crisp, clean balanced taste.

The mouthfeel is smooth and palatable. Not too heavy.

I'm not a big IPA girl (working on in though), but this one really impressed me. I don't like when the hops overwhelm the flavor and never balance out, but this beer does that. The complexity and smooth, clean finish really made it enjoyable.

01-20-2012 02:20:51 | More by JennyJam
rowmine

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Inch and a half head with a gorgeous hazy golden pour.

S - Hops burst with citrus and pine, very well balanced between the two (this being one of the first IPA's i can really find myself thinking grapefruit as opposed to orange)

T - Very similar to the aroma with the malt flavor coming forward more than i expected based on the aroma. This balances out the flavor profile extremely well.

M - Light to Medium body with a drying finish.

O - This west coast IPA really shines in my opinion. As my palate matures I'm sure I will find myself reaching for stronger doubles and imperial IPAs but for the moment this seems to be my comfort level.

02-19-2012 20:32:32 | More by rowmine
HoppyHomo

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

I overlooked stone for a pretty long time. Stone IPA was kind of like that chick in High School, who was cute but wasn't the most popular.Your captain of the football team and shes the trumpet player in the HS band. One day you decided to approach and shoot the shit and to your astonishment it goes pretty well. You invite her back to your place and the next thing you know your pants are around your ankles and your mumbling thanking some lost Babylonian god.

Thats stone IPA.

It has a smooth orange pour with a moderate amount of head. It feels really smooth in your mouth. You can really taste the hops along with the bitterness. Honestly i feel like ive been tempting my palate a lot lately and while most beers have fallen short this one definitely has not.

IMO this is just an amazing beer.

11-09-2012 03:26:19 | More by HoppyHomo
mapman97

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I tried one of these this weekend after a long day out in the hot Texas sun fishing. Maybe I should wait until the next time I try one to give a review since any beer would taste good after several hours baking on a lake in Texas in July. Having said that I must say that from the fist sip to the last gulp this beer was wonderful.

The first sip was very hoppy, bitter but refreshing. After a couple more swallows I could detect some malty sweetness and the bitter had subsided to a wonderful warm feel.

The mouthfeel was nice with the tingles of carbonation and the tounge awakening hops. By the time I got to the last third of the bottle I had nothing but enjoyment from the carbonated lively mouthfeel and the malty sweetness off set nicely by the familiar crisp hops of an IPA. Good Beer!!

07-21-2003 15:24:05 | More by mapman97
rmfyeah

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer is hop heaven
Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head with laces that remain for awhile.
You can smell the hops, it's not overwhelming for how present they are once you taste it.
Taste is awesome. I love hop-upped beers and this is one of my favorites because its fairly easy to find. To say this bear has great hop characteristics is an understatement. Somehow finishes great- citrus and a bit bitter, but perfect.
The mouthfeel is good, crisp up front, sticky and lingers on the top of the mouth well after your last sip.
So good you'll want more despite the relatively strong taste and higher alcohol. Lovely.

05-08-2007 00:59:44 | More by rmfyeah
ncm45

West Virginia

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

The local pub switched over to this recently and I had my first chance at having this on-tap. Can't say I regret it one bit.

Smell: Wonderful - it's nice to get a beer that knows what it is and isn't afraid to show it. What you'd expect from a good IPA, fruity and lots of hops.

Taste:The flavor really comes out with this one. The hops are right there and the taste stays solid and doesn't change.

Mouthfeel:Smooth but still agressive. Probably one of the better IPAs I've had.

Drinkability:Goes down well, although a few of these might fill you up. No regrets getting this one.

06-16-2007 02:32:26 | More by ncm45
ders

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

I've had this quite a few times on tap at bars and have always liked it, but this is my first 6 pack because it's a couple bucks more than many other IPAs and I'm cheap. After tasting this again, I think it's worth it.

Appearance: Pretty IPA color. Nice head gone after a few minutes, but lacing is left.

Smell: Hops... Smells like an IPA.. but a little nuttier maybe. It's a good smell.

Taste: Taste like an IPA. Leaves a bite of bitter for quite a few seconds (perhaps minutes).

Mouthfeel: Nice and carbonated.

Drinkibility: I think after a couple it would start being too "rich" like many IPAs.

06-11-2009 23:33:43 | More by ders
dalimsta

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

- Pretty typical appearance and texture for an IPA.

- Aroma is interesting--a bit of citrus and pine with something else I just couldn't place. Not bad, but it didn't draw me in.

- I definitely agree with some other reviewers about the grapefruit bitterness up front. It's a bit overpowering, especially when taking a lot in at a time--it really does taste like unsweetened grapefruit juice with some pine at the end. After the bitterness cleared up, though, I got a really nice malty breadiness. I just wish it had come sooner, since the overwhelming hops presence isn't all that pleasant.

- Drinkable, but go slowly. Taking in too much at once bombards the palate with astringent hops.

Some might like the bitterness (and Stone writes clearly on the bottle that they loaded their IPA with hops), but it just isn't for me.

03-07-2011 21:51:12 | More by dalimsta
dac0152

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this beer many times, just now reviewing it and throwing aside all former notes to focus on just this bottle.

Stone IPA fills the glass with a gorgeous golden haze and the bubbling, foamy head sticks to the sides of the glass leaving lace marks the whole way down. This beer looks fantastic!

I smell a lot of orange and grapefruit. A lot. There is a slight pine aroma, but, even though it's an IPA, my nose is upset by the complete absence of any malt; there's no sweetness, no grain character, nothing. Sad. Malt adds so much. Oh well, still smells pretty good! I really wish there was a '3.75' but there's not, so I'll bump it up to 4.0.

Grapefruit and orange still dominate this beer but, unlike the aroma, the malt sticks its neck out to balance this puppy out. Definitely on the bitter end, almost like biting into an orange rind, but delicious. Some pine sneaks its way into the flavor as well. As Larry David would say, "prettyy prettyyyy pretty goood." I have had better, but I still enjoy this thing.

Not a whole lot of carbonation (a good thing), and it leaves a nice bitter taste lingering on the tongue. I'm gonna give this a 3.5 because, while decent, it's not anything spectacular and, once again, I've had better.

TL;DR - Lots of citrus, pretty in balance with the malt, though nothing kicks me in the mouth. Pretty good, but there's better for the money. I still love you, Stone.

02-03-2012 00:37:11 | More by dac0152
RyFikes

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

03-21-2013 16:45:23 | More by RyFikes
Badger72

Louisiana

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

To me this beer is the benchmark for any good IPA. When I drink an IPA I always compare it to Stone because it is my favorite beer to drink. It's the beer that I always seem to come back to and always enjoy. It has a good ABV, but it is hidden well. The smell is fantastic and you can really smell the hops. The taste is very in your face like any IPA, but in a good way. The taste is very hoppy and with a hint of pine. This is a great beer and a staple for any craft beer drinker.

04-03-2013 13:52:03 | More by Badger72
thickgirth

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: growler

09-26-2013 00:41:38 | More by thickgirth
SplitsAtoms

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Never gets old. Perfect balance of aggressive hops with malt enough to stand it up. She always looks good poured into a pint glass, she smells delish and the mouthfeel really takes it home. Everything in a west coast stye IPA is here and in near perfect proportions ...

11-08-2013 03:46:38 | More by SplitsAtoms
Cfeezy

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Rich copper color with a nice, foamy head with consistent bubbling and moderate lacing

S - Has spicy floral hoppy aroma

T - Strong taste of hops with hints of pine and grapefruit. Some nice bitterness, which is mellowed out by a bit of spiciness

M - A rich, carbonation-filled bite

O - This is an outstanding IPA, top tier, however I still prefer the ENJOY BY IPA.

02-08-2014 20:14:12 | More by Cfeezy
PBIU

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone first came to Chicagoland in the Spring of 2010.

This was about the time I was beginning to expand my craft beer horizons and Stone was a great brewery to dive into.

Not quite sure why some video reviewers knock on this IPA (thinking Better Beer Authority) here. Although those guys are a bit goofy at times and I find myself disagreeing with them about 80% of the time.

So here is the review. Had this beer on-tap from my basement kegerator (many more pints to come).

Appearance is a bit orange with a nice bright look. Nice lacing on the glass when swirled and about a two finger head.

Smell is citrus focused with a bit of carmel malt at the tail end.

Taste is very smooth. Well balanced play with the hops and malt here where one does not overpower the other. Dry finish. Typical West Coast IPA taste and from the guys that really invented the San Diego IPA style in the 90s.

Mouthfeel is not what you would think with this. Coming in at 6.9% one would think a heavier syrupy mouthfeel would be present. Stone IPA is light and smooth. Some may say a bit watery for the style, but I think it works well with this offering.

Overall just a good solid beer. Stone delivers and I can see why they have such a cult following.

02-26-2014 18:22:07 | More by PBIU
sorryaboutbrooks

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured beer into glass. Definitely a little cloudy for an IPA (maybe a chill haze goin on?). Pours a yellowish or light copper. Not much of a head, but keep in mind I use glasses washed in the dishwasher with detergent. Amazing citrus smell. First sip catches you off guard as it is not what you would expect, but it is a great unique citrus flavor. The citrus (orange like flavor) is not over powering, but balanced very well with the rest of the beer. Great beer.

07-19-2008 03:34:54 | More by sorryaboutbrooks
PizzaQueen1

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This is one of my favorite IPA's. It pours nicly with a great golden amber color, and if poured corectly, a nice pillow of foam for a head. The aroma is filled with citrus, florals and hops witch make that first taste a flavor explosion. Hops and Hops with a little citrus sweetness. Very Nice. As the beer warms it gets even better. It smoothes out with even my of that great sweet taste. Good feel in the mouth leaves you wanting more.

08-28-2009 19:41:06 | More by PizzaQueen1
o19

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Chico State "University Bar" pint glass.

A: Golden maple color.
S: Rich and aromatic with strong lingering hops.
T: Potent but not overpowering. Excellent smooth finish.
M: Perfect carbonation without the "prickle" most IPA's have.
O: One of my top 5 all time beers. Delicious and full of flavor.

If you love California IPA's you all ready know about this beer.

Stone IPA is the pinnacle of SoCal IPA's.

06-09-2011 03:45:09 | More by o19
tylerss20

New Hampshire

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Good for the style, just a little too much for me. High marks for quality, low on drinkability. Pour is a slightly cloudy hay yellow. Thin crown dissipates quickly. Alpha hop is strong and forward, not the balance I enjoy in singles.

Another good Stone offering, just marked aggressiveness for a single-IPA.

11-18-2011 21:03:15 | More by tylerss20
nate714

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

served in a 22oz bottle.
A: a nice copper color. a finger and a half of white foam top. very nice.
S: hops and more hops! a hint of grapefruit is present. what all ipa's should smell like.
T: bitter and a lil fruity. more on the bitter side,but, very smooth.
M: very smooth and a great non lasting taste for an ipa.
O: not many ipa's can top this one. if im in the store and i want to have a good night, this is my go to beer.

02-09-2012 04:31:10 | More by nate714
foss69lh

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

While I found this a good and decent entry as an IPA, I can't say I found the balance between the hops and resulting dryness to the malt that pleasing. While I am looking for the former in an IPA, I am also seeking a bit more body, as well as greater refreshment in the flavor, feel, and aftertaste, which the use of hops here slightly intrudes on. Additionally, as suggested, found the body and flavor a bit thin. Good, but believe there are better IPA's out there.

03-02-2012 21:38:05 | More by foss69lh
ZippyThePinhead

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is another of my go-to IPAs, and I'm glad to see so many others agree (judging by the scores here).

It is widely available, inexpensive, and a very easy-drinking beer. Refreshing, even. Trust me on that, as I'm having one as I write this. I can always find 22-oz bombers for around $4 here in SoCal as of this review date (8/2012). I can even find this on Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner, going between San Diego and points north). The nose is not as hoppy as some, and the piney, citrusy goodness isn't quite at the level of certain (more expensive, harder-to-get) competitor brews, but it is an excellent beer, no question about it. And best of all, I'm never limited to just a single bottle per visit, which is often the case with other competitor brews.

I also regard this as a very reasonable gateway IPA, which can be used to introduce non-hopheads to the wonders of IPA. I've converted more than a few folks myself, using this very beer.

The finish on this is not as quick and clean as I prefer, but it is still pretty good in that respect. I really don't get much of a malingering bitter aftertaste with this. And it's dry, not too malty. A great ambassador for the west-coast style of IPA.

Kudos to Stone for making an excellent, ubiquitous and inexpensive IPA.

08-01-2012 23:32:19 | More by ZippyThePinhead
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.