Join our email list →

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American IPA | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,910 | Hads: 10,426
4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to BirdsVsWorms for this one:

A - Poured a beautiful copper color with a 3 finger white head that has great retention and left peaks

S - Whoa, can smell a huge hop aroma right when I opened the bottle. All I pick up is straight floral hops

T - This is a delicious balanced hoppy IPA. I love this beer!

M - Medium bodied with very light carbonation

D - This one is so very drinkable. I could drink these all day

Excellent beer that I really wish we had here in Georgia.

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle into a duvel tulip. Orange with a nice white head that disappeared quickly . Small amount of lacing. Man i love this beer. Grapefruit hop flavors basically dominate with a sweet malt background that becomes more prevalent as it warms. I just love the hop forward nature of stone IPA's. Its definitely not the most balanced one out there but that's why i like it.

I started the evening with a black butte porter (bottle) -- great beer.. then I tried a Stone IPA. I had never had it before but I could tell after the first drink that it was good. Actually it was a great beer , very easy to drink . Can't wait to try it again . Wasn't as good the 2nd time.. seems more of a summer beer.

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Crystal, Golden Color. Not much head retention and a little lacing. Typical to style.

S - There is a pretty hoppy smell here. It has the citrus and some grapefruit, but it really smells like opening a bag of hops. It smells like hops.

T - There is a sweet malty taste, not too dry. The hops come through (there are definitely some C hops in here), and thee is a very clean bitterness in the end (tastes like Magnum). Very well bittered.

M - Good carbonation, not to light.

D - It's a good IPA, just not my favorite. It is what you would expect a Stone IPA to taste like.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

The appearance is a deep golden with orange tinting. A slight bubbly off-white head. Nice lace patterns develop on the sides of the glass as I drink. Citris, lemon rind, grapefruit and slight pine on the nose.
This is a very balanced IPA. The hops do not overwhelm, but rather, they are firm in their presence. The hop-attributed tastes are lemon rind, citrus and pine. There's some nice bitterness, but not overwhelming. Very quaffable IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy amber with average, creamy white head; decent retention and spare lacing. Aroma is citrus ans floral hops, orange peel, bread and cookie malt, light dank, and light pine. Flavor is fresh pine, citrus and grassy hops forward (medium bitterness) with good supporting bready malts and light citrus esters; dry finish with some lingering bitterness. Medium body and low carbonation. Good beer!

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my go-to beer. I want some in my fridge at all times. Even though this is a Stone, the hops are not overwhelming. The malt present makes the beer smooth and not as bitter as other Stone beers.

Poured into a glass the color is beautiful deep orange... but who cares, straight from the bottle this beer will not disappoint.

The aroma lets you know that there is a good deal of hops with citrus and a little of pine.

This beer does not coat your mouth too much, so that after a drink there is a crisp, refreshing finish.

Although the ABV is not as high and the hops are not as strong as some of my favorite IPAs and double IPAs, if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be Stone IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: This IPA is gorgeous! A straw color that is dense with flavor so although it is clear it does appear hazy. It carries a great, wonderfully dense head. The head just sits atop the beer, like a billowy comforter on a bed.

s: The smell is the classic citrusy hops common to the American Hops style.

t: The taste is spot on to an American IPA. Nice citrus hops characteristics leave a lingering grapefruit acidity on the back of the tongue. You do get a wince of the alcohol within the flavors however the balance with the grapefruit is perfect.

m: Very smooth....'gives you chills' smooth. Low carbonation allows for this to simply rush down the throat, demanding more.

o: This is the quintessential IPA. This was a pleasure to drink and I would be blessed if there was more in my fridge (there is not). As I am reviewing this beer I am taking sips between every two or three words - I cannot keep it out of my hands. Very positive experience!

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

As one of my favourite styles of beer this certainly ranks up there with the best I've had.

The first thing you notice when you pop the bottle is the aroma, wonderfully clean with a very strong hop profile. The aroma just get stronger as it pours, in fact I was not sure if I would spoil the moment by actually drinking the beer. Well, I am glad I took a taste, it has well rounded body, full of malt, hop bitterness and too many other delicate flavors my palate couldn't discern. The overall feeling it left me with is that it is well made, everything in proportion.

If it weren't so expensive I think I could just drink this IPA and be completely satisfied.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Beatuiful and pale with nice carboantion throughout the drink. Big, fluffy head which is white and leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is piney like a huge truck of hops was dumped straight into the biol. Taste is strong, a bit of alcohol and a lot of citrousy, astringent hop oils dominate the palate immediately. This is a good beer, worthy of a lot of admiration, but in the end I think its biting off more than I can chew. A little too bitter and carbonated.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours an amber-copper color that is best described as orange. A couple of fingers of white head on top. Traces of lacing left on glass. The smell is an overpowering , yet wonderful hop aroma. Taste is of hops with a flavor Im not thrilled with. Okay, but not great. A little too much of the bitter aftertaste hanging around in the mouth. After finishing one, I dont really want another. I have 5 more to drink, and Im sure I will enjoy them, but its a very good, but not great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A clear red-gold color with a steadily rising stream of bubbles. A low but tight white head disappears quickly and leaves a ring around the edge and a light haze floating on top in the center of the glass. The aroma is of zesty, minty herbal hops and black pepper. Caramel joins in later.
A prominent bitter hop and grass initial flavor is joined by roasted coffee malt at mid-taste. A mild chocolate taste blends in as flavor fades.Leaves a lingering sweet hard candy flavor on the sides of the mouth. Moderately thick body with very good carbonation. Flavor pleasingly biased toward hops.
Very smooth IPA goes down easy. Very drinkable

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a brown longneck bottle that had something to say to my expectant beer mug. No noticable date . . . though at almost 7%abv and hopped into oblivion, I'm not worried.

A - Poured moderately Stone's IPA generated a tall, aggressive head; which eventually settled down to about 2 fingers of slightly off-white rocky foam. I had to wait to and pour a third of the bottle at a time. Beautiful slightly hazy amber/gold, with lacing all the way down the glass.

S - This smells amazing. Sweet malts and hops, almost fruity in aroma. And ooooh the hops.

T - And oooh the hops! This beer has such a big hop kick. The best balance between crazy hops and malt I've yet tasted. the malts pack enough body and sweetness to offset the powerful hop biterness. The balance is probably the best part about the taste, and it keeps me coming back for more.

M - Smooth. Very smooth, with just enough carbonation. This is a full bodied ale. Its solid and strong without being too dry or having too much of an oily hop feel. There is only a slight touch of alcohol in the finish, which is impressive at 6.9% abv.

D - If beer gets better than this I can't afford it. I can and would drink this all the time. Its that good. The only things stopping this from being an awesome session beer are cost (about 8$ a 6 pack) , 6.9% abv, and the heavy nature of the beer itself, it'll fill me up darn fast.

Long Live Stone Brewery!

This is the only beer I have ever had and even thought of scoring a perfect 5. And yes, as the tips suggest, I would say with conviction that nothing could be improved in this beer. It pours a medium brown with a thin head. The nose is pure hop and the first taste backs that right up. Then the pleasant surprise is a "fruitty" pop at the back end, but the bitterness of the hops still hang around. This is "the" beer for me. The "stuck on a desert island with only one choice" beer. Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

This is another world class beer from Stone. Take it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes or so before opening it, then lavish yourself in the beautiful floral aroma of hops. It's readily available in six packs in my area, so I'm spoiled. It has the hoppy, citrusy flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA. I've used this beer on four occassions to introduce a BMC type to real beer. Each time was successful.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Sightly cloudy amber, good head, excellent lacing that lasted all the way through me drinking the beer.

Smell: Flowers, very fragrant, a great smelling beer

Taste & mouthfeel: A slightly hoppy, but not overpowering, west coast IPA. Some more flowers, a touch of spice. Well balanced.

Drinkability: A great beer that you can taste from the beginning of the glass/bottle to the end. Excellent flavor. A stupendous example of the west coast IPA.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

One of my favorite beers, hands down.

Wonderful citrus/grapefruit nose, and taste.

I like this beer so much, that after drinking, I don't want to brush my teeth. I only wish that STONE IPA came in a toothpaste.

Love this as a one beer treat, and can also drink it all night long.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

What can you say. This is the gold standard for IPAs. Pours golden with a nice foamy head. The foam lasts and lasts. Hints of pine and citrus, with plenty of hops. Crisp and clean.
A wonderful beer. It is outdone by Stone's Ruination IPA, but that one is just crazy good.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer hold a special place in my heart. My buddy took me out for my 21st birthday a few years back, and ordered this for me as my first craft beer. I had no Idea what "I.P.A." was or that their were more breweries outside of the evil "Big Beer" companies, Sam Adams, or PA. Breweries.

I was a virgin beer drinker to say the least. I took one sip of this thought "My God, why would you drink this?" I finished it as I was told... I did my best to avoid I.P.A.'s for over a year. I got the idea to experiment with them, not entirely sure how/why, Dogfish 90 minute/Southern Tier come to mind as to why I started to enjoy I.P.A. beer.

That brings me back to this brew. Now that I can say "I enjoy I.P.A., I had to review the beer that brought me into the world of I.P.A. Since I've rambled enough, I'll keep it simple. This beer is angry, hateful, and if you've had a bad day, pop one of these open because they will channel all that aggression into good I.P.A. This beer is aggressive, and angry, yet relaxing and mellowing. It brings a hop-heavy, malt aroma, how a good beer should smell. I personally find that many I.P.A.s taste "Scummy" like algae in a pool, but this I.P.A. is as clean as a double I.P.A.

My favorite Single I.P.A.!

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stone brews are all top notch and this one is no exception.it pours a hazy orange and imo is the perfect example of the styles appearance,nice head that retains and excellent lacing.

It smells of hops and citrus,more lemon oil than anything else.there isnt much in the way of malt but thats fine with me.

Taste is a hop punch in the face,not much malt for balance but balance is over rated imo.lemon is the next thing that hits me after the hops and bitter.

The mouthfeel is spot on to style to me,i would not call this a sessionable beer by any means but thats not what ipa's are all about anyways.If i had to give one knock on this beer it would be that it has a bit to much lemon oil but thats really nitpicking.

Overall, stone ipa is outstanding and is the standard by which all ipa's should be measured.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light amber color with perfect amount of foam after pour. I will note that this beer is very hazy and had more sediment than I assume the beer normally has. The flavor is very appealing, better then your average IPA. It is decently balanced with slightly bitter floral citrus flavors forward followed by mellowing out in the middle with a slightly bitter hop finish.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Long time coming for this review. This is the choice that occludes all others when I stop at the case shop. It denies me many tempting opportunities to rekindle fond memories of Hop Devil and other faves like DF60 or new interests like B2H or Green Flash WCIPA.

What can be said of one the best hophead delights. If you haven't found your hoptopia, you probably haven't tried this.

In your face hops within a well rounded flavor palette. Hats off and bang a gong.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz bomber poured into an insulated tumbler. (after being taken out of the fridge for about 5-10 minutes)

A - A nice reddish copper color. Lacing is extensive, head is white, w/ fine bubbles and lasts forever and a day.

S - Citrus.... but mostly hops. Hops hops hops.

T - WOW... talk about a good IPA. Hops up front, with a slightly malty finish.... hops all the way through, and yet somehow balanced... amazing.

M - Carbonation is slightly less than average. Goes down quite smooth, with a bit of that 6.9% kick that you'd expect.

D - Yeah.... sadly, it'd be much more drinkable if it weren't an IPA... that abv does you in. I don't think they offer a 12oz version, but if they did, that'd make it just a little easier to session.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Looks like a nice crisp clear IPA, on the light side, not too dark.

S - Sweet smell of hops! Love those hops. Smells fruity and sweet.

T - Very hoppy, but not over the top. Nice light IPA with plenty of hop power.

M - Very nice on the toungue. Smooth and tasty.

D - Extremely drinkable, maybe too drinkable. Very well balanced nice IPA, not trying to be something it isn't. I love Double IPAs, but this IPA is top notch.

Overall I was extremely pleased with this IPA. I would say for a plain IPA, it's better than the 60 Minute. I wish that I didn't have to go to MA for this beer, but it's worth the drive to Yankee Spirits! Can't wait to get my lips on this beer again!

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

Cloudy bright amber in color. Powerful hops aroma, some citrus coming through. The taste is not as hoppy as it smells. I guess the bark is worse than the bite. Very smooth beer, especially for an IPA. Overall a good drink for a small session. Half of the attraction is the bottle art, for sure.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.