Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,972 | Reviews: 2,947

This is my favorite beer.

Perfect mouthfeel and appearance.

Perfect hop flavor. Not too weak, not to bitter. If you like really bitter stuff, try Stone's ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard. For me, though, this is perfect.

Also, moderately priced in the "bomber" section, especially when lined up against all the Belgians that, IMHO, don't taste as good.

Outstanding.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a golden/orange body, with a small white head. Head is rather sticky all the way down.

Smell is of floral, pine and citrus.

Tase is strong in hops, but not as crazy as Stone's Arrogant Bastard. Some spice going on, and again piney aftertaste.

Mouthfeel has a nice crisp attack, with a bit of a bite. Though, it has an overall nice finish.

Drinkability is rather high I would say.

Another great product from the Stone Brewery.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

Excellent brew, what less could you expect out of Stone. Lacing like whoa, not the most powerful of aromas though. Nothing like ruination. Good balance, smooth beer. Mouthfeel was pretty good, but sometihng wasnt sitting well with me, cant put my finger on it. Tastes a nice bit of hoppiness but nothing to overwhelming. Bit of an alcohol presence unfortunately, which surprises me since Stone Ruination is nearly a percent higher, and I just finished one of those and tasted no alcohol. Oh well, very good beer nonetheless, but this will be my last today cause Stone’s other quality is they get you drunk fast... God Bless Hops.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

The look of the beer is really nice: orangey amber with a great, thick white head that leaves lace all over the glass.

Grapefruit hops and some floral sweetness fill the nose. The smell really comes at you, but it's definitely welcome. I really don't think that there is a single flaw in the aroma, and I could sniff this all day.

From the appearance and the smell, the taste has a lot of hype to live up to, and it does. A very commanding bitter hops flavor dominates with crisp grapefruit, resin, and a little sweetness. Grains come in at the aftertaste to balance things out, followed by a some more hoppy bitterness.

The body is medium with an appropriate amount of carbonation. You can feel it as it goes down, which is nice.

This is especially refreshing on a hot day, and I could drink more than my fill of it. However, I don't think that such an assertive beer can be enjoyed to its fullest at just any time or place. Then again, I'm glad the intense flavor wasn't compromised so that anyone could chug it down like Bud, Miller, etc.

Stone has certainly set a high standard for IPAs everywhere. This will probably turn anybody into a hop-head.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

P- a declared 6.9% abv in a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a crystal clear, golden beige color with a modest fluffy amount of white head and good lacing.

S- fruity esters with strong herbal hops.

T- slight background of sweet malts covered with strong herbal hops.

M- smooth, just the right balance of carbonation to move the flavors and oils across the palate creating a wonderful experience.

D- a great beer for hops lovers, a great beer for beer lovers, this one can be enjoyed by all.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a very bright golden color with a quarter inch white head with nice lacing. smells of very strong hops, lots of citrus, grapefruit , and pines aromas going on. Taste is very hoppy all the way through, taste really resembles smell on this brew. Lots of grapefruit and citrus notes, just the way i like it! Oh and there is definitely a lot of hops in this one, its great. This beer is great! easy to drink, great taste all the way through, i would recomend this to anyone, great brew!

2.72/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Nice Golden Color with thick creamy head

S: Big Hops. Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons....Very Strong Nose.

T: Really nice California IPA, great citrus tones with a grapefruit finish

M: Medium body, slightly above average carbonation

D: Very well balanced beer from Stone, one of those beers that go well with anything. Nothing that impresses, but definitely consistent.

4.77/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Orange in color with a white head a really good lace.

S: Citrus scent.

T: Orange and other citrus flavors with a good amount of hops from beginning to end. Really clean and smooth.

MF: Medium light body with medium carbonation. Crisp, refreshing, smooth and clean with a hoppy feel the whole time. Drinkable with a light and dry finish.

O: One of my favorite IPAs. I love how there are hops all throughout this beer but it doesn't over power it. A good IPA for any time, even summer.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. The beer is hazy-golden in color, with a slim 1-finger head. This is a very aromatic beer with lots of floral and citrus notes; I also detect a little honey at the tail end. At first taste, the grapefruit and citrus flavors are very evident, as well as a noticeable hop-bitterness that is strong but not overpowering. The body of this beer is exceptional, for it accomplishes being creamy yet highly-drinkable. The carbonation is a little much, but the taste outweighs this minute flaw. In comparison to other trademark IPA's. this brew holds its own with ease.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an everyday drinking glass.
A- My extreme aggro pour eventually produced about a quarter inch of the thickest egg white consistency head I've seen in a long time. Looks like beaten egg whites. Pours an orange, gold, slightly hazy beauty.

S- Honestly it didn't smell too fantastic. The bottle I got was about 3 months out of code so it might have been off. But this smelled like a Budweiser. SorryT

T- This tasted like an IPA for the masses. Like an "all day IPA" or a watered down Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It tastes delicious, hoppy and bright. Nice sweet malt to balance it out and bring it home. But maybe I've been enjoying too many insane IPAs lately but this was kinda AAL style or something. It tastes great. But its definitely not as pungent as some other nice brews.

M- Mouthfeel was watery. Under carbonated and thin.

O- I find it hard to believe this is a "World Class Beer". Its good. Damn good. But so short of its full potential. I had a Stone IPA about 4 years ago in the hot Houston summer. I remember it being very flavourful and refreshing. Now it just seems watery.

HTTR!!!

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Usualy on tap around my parts... Real nice orangey gold with a light cream/white head. Very fruity up front with some of stones Special B trademark flavours. If there are all the light lager beers on tap all over the place I am almost sure to see this guy hidden in the mix. Stone is a benchmark for craft breweries in SD and deserves to be beside the "giants" dt its stand for craft breweries... Dont be surprised if Stone is the first craft brewery gone wild.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

I had a weekend back home and found this at a local beer bar. When I ordered a Scottish started going crazy about how IPA's were his favorite type of beer. As a side note he also did very good impressions of Fat Bastard, and did more and more of them as the night wore on. Back to the task at hand though. I've never had an IPA before but knew it to be very well hopped. This was no exception to the style and was a very good beer by my standards. It poured a nice goldish orange color and I was immediately taken in by the nice smell of citrus and hops. The taste was awesome. It had a very crisp feel to it and the hops definitely came through. This is a style of beer I think I could grow to love very easily if they are all as drinkable as this beer.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well was introduced to craft beer 10 years ago and been a member of BA for almost as long. Decided to start reviewing them 10, ye ars later one at a time. Well havent had stone in quite awhile and decided to give this one a go and it is how i remembered . An over rated ipa boosted by incredible word of mouth and marketing. Not bad at all just overrated and waaay overhyped. Above average ipa at best and would be curious where this would score in a blind test without the benefit of all the hype.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Thanks to BirdsVsWorms for this one:

A - Poured a beautiful copper color with a 3 finger white head that has great retention and left peaks

S - Whoa, can smell a huge hop aroma right when I opened the bottle. All I pick up is straight floral hops

T - This is a delicious balanced hoppy IPA. I love this beer!

M - Medium bodied with very light carbonation

D - This one is so very drinkable. I could drink these all day

Excellent beer that I really wish we had here in Georgia.

4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle into a duvel tulip. Orange with a nice white head that disappeared quickly . Small amount of lacing. Man i love this beer. Grapefruit hop flavors basically dominate with a sweet malt background that becomes more prevalent as it warms. I just love the hop forward nature of stone IPA's. Its definitely not the most balanced one out there but that's why i like it.

I started the evening with a black butte porter (bottle) -- great beer.. then I tried a Stone IPA. I had never had it before but I could tell after the first drink that it was good. Actually it was a great beer , very easy to drink . Can't wait to try it again . Wasn't as good the 2nd time.. seems more of a summer beer.

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Crystal, Golden Color. Not much head retention and a little lacing. Typical to style.

S - There is a pretty hoppy smell here. It has the citrus and some grapefruit, but it really smells like opening a bag of hops. It smells like hops.

T - There is a sweet malty taste, not too dry. The hops come through (there are definitely some C hops in here), and thee is a very clean bitterness in the end (tastes like Magnum). Very well bittered.

M - Good carbonation, not to light.

D - It's a good IPA, just not my favorite. It is what you would expect a Stone IPA to taste like.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

The appearance is a deep golden with orange tinting. A slight bubbly off-white head. Nice lace patterns develop on the sides of the glass as I drink. Citris, lemon rind, grapefruit and slight pine on the nose.
This is a very balanced IPA. The hops do not overwhelm, but rather, they are firm in their presence. The hop-attributed tastes are lemon rind, citrus and pine. There's some nice bitterness, but not overwhelming. Very quaffable IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy amber with average, creamy white head; decent retention and spare lacing. Aroma is citrus ans floral hops, orange peel, bread and cookie malt, light dank, and light pine. Flavor is fresh pine, citrus and grassy hops forward (medium bitterness) with good supporting bready malts and light citrus esters; dry finish with some lingering bitterness. Medium body and low carbonation. Good beer!

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

This is my go-to beer. I want some in my fridge at all times. Even though this is a Stone, the hops are not overwhelming. The malt present makes the beer smooth and not as bitter as other Stone beers.

Poured into a glass the color is beautiful deep orange... but who cares, straight from the bottle this beer will not disappoint.

The aroma lets you know that there is a good deal of hops with citrus and a little of pine.

This beer does not coat your mouth too much, so that after a drink there is a crisp, refreshing finish.

Although the ABV is not as high and the hops are not as strong as some of my favorite IPAs and double IPAs, if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be Stone IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: This IPA is gorgeous! A straw color that is dense with flavor so although it is clear it does appear hazy. It carries a great, wonderfully dense head. The head just sits atop the beer, like a billowy comforter on a bed.

s: The smell is the classic citrusy hops common to the American Hops style.

t: The taste is spot on to an American IPA. Nice citrus hops characteristics leave a lingering grapefruit acidity on the back of the tongue. You do get a wince of the alcohol within the flavors however the balance with the grapefruit is perfect.

m: Very smooth....'gives you chills' smooth. Low carbonation allows for this to simply rush down the throat, demanding more.

o: This is the quintessential IPA. This was a pleasure to drink and I would be blessed if there was more in my fridge (there is not). As I am reviewing this beer I am taking sips between every two or three words - I cannot keep it out of my hands. Very positive experience!

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

As one of my favourite styles of beer this certainly ranks up there with the best I've had.

The first thing you notice when you pop the bottle is the aroma, wonderfully clean with a very strong hop profile. The aroma just get stronger as it pours, in fact I was not sure if I would spoil the moment by actually drinking the beer. Well, I am glad I took a taste, it has well rounded body, full of malt, hop bitterness and too many other delicate flavors my palate couldn't discern. The overall feeling it left me with is that it is well made, everything in proportion.

If it weren't so expensive I think I could just drink this IPA and be completely satisfied.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Beatuiful and pale with nice carboantion throughout the drink. Big, fluffy head which is white and leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is piney like a huge truck of hops was dumped straight into the biol. Taste is strong, a bit of alcohol and a lot of citrousy, astringent hop oils dominate the palate immediately. This is a good beer, worthy of a lot of admiration, but in the end I think its biting off more than I can chew. A little too bitter and carbonated.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours an amber-copper color that is best described as orange. A couple of fingers of white head on top. Traces of lacing left on glass. The smell is an overpowering , yet wonderful hop aroma. Taste is of hops with a flavor Im not thrilled with. Okay, but not great. A little too much of the bitter aftertaste hanging around in the mouth. After finishing one, I dont really want another. I have 5 more to drink, and Im sure I will enjoy them, but its a very good, but not great beer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.