2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,462 | Reviews: 2,706 | Show All Ratings:
Seanem44

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Light orange with a nice off-white head that dissipates into a nice lacing.

S: Inviting without being overwhelming. A little deceiving.

T: Very tasty. Hops are not overwhelming at all, but still very flavorful. No hint of alcohol.

M: I really like how this feels. Thick, rich and smooth. Doesn't feel watery. Very full and fulfilling feel on the palate.

O: Stone continues to impress me. This is an outstanding and easy to drink IPA. Very similar to the Enjoy By IPA I recently had but lacks the overall freshness, but to be expected. At $9.99 for a six pack in most places, you can't go wrong.

03-30-2014 23:37:59 | More by Seanem44
kcrosson492

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thus far, one of the best IPA's I have had in a long time. It has a fantastic hoppy flavor that manages to still be smooth. You could easily drink this one over and over while maintaining a full flavor IPA. Good beer for party or casual drinking....

03-29-2014 21:20:54 | More by kcrosson492
davidsumner

This is my favorite IPA and a goto beer for me.

Pour - excellent voluminous, frothy pour; leaving a gorgeous three finger, frothy, sea foam head.

Appearance - Very nice, clear amber. Lacing is outstanding.

Nose - The nose is not powerful, but does bring up a nice light grapefruit/pine/resin scent.

Taste - Yummy. Not thick and or over the top; but rather a perfect balance. Ruby Red grapefruit juice, pine resin, yummy sweet malt.

Finish - perfect. Bitter, long lasting, citrus sour.

This is truly a world class beer.

03-13-2014 19:43:24 | More by davidsumner
brutusmuktuk

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle with a hazy golden yellow color and a decently foamy white head. Has a very nice hoppy floral aroma. Taste is kind of sweet up front, dominated by floral notes with touches of citrus. The finish is a surprising amount of bitterness that lingers a while. The beer has a nice full body feel with some carbonation. This is very refreshing and enjoyable.

03-09-2014 03:18:03 | More by brutusmuktuk
Franziskaner

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light amber to brown in color. A minuscule bit of white head partially covers the top of the beer. A bit hazy with Brussels lacing. Incredibly enticing aroma of pine like hops reminiscent of pineapple greets me. The mouth is a little sticky and the bitterness prickles my tongue. When I take a sip I get a short but sharp burst of pine like hops and then some light malt to back it up. I get a nice gentle bitter fade.

03-08-2014 16:19:41 | More by Franziskaner
Beer4B

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: straight from the bottle yo, my bad.

S: delightfully crisp

T: very smooth and drinkable IPA

M: light and hoppy

O: this was a decent IPA at a great price and availability. I much prefer the Ruination but this is a very good and like-minded substitute for when that is not available.

03-03-2014 16:52:54 | More by Beer4B
THE-DUDE

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very solid IPA. Not as overly floral as some IPAs. Very well balanced. Citrus grapefruit smell and taste. Very smooth, the 6.9% can launch a sneak attack without warning. Even though this beer was released more than a decade ago and was ahead of the curve at the time, it still holds its own very well.

03-02-2014 02:27:09 | More by THE-DUDE
HopHedd

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A show-all trend setter for pure India Pale Ale amongst the ranks. This foundation of a brew should be mocked and chased after by all breweries. Light flavor with rich-heavy after taste, smooth and golden color, hop notes are balanced, not the focal point of the beer. Overall well-slated IPA.

Serving type: growler

03-02-2014 01:39:32 | More by HopHedd
dank203

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

pours a pretty clear golden color. good amount of head. looked good in a pint glass. very light fluffy feel, lot of candy and citrusy grapefruit notes, fair amount of lemon. good earthy aroma, a little musty and dank. very bitter though, not for all .

02-27-2014 22:35:16 | More by dank203
arc0042

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

This is a solid West Coast IPA, and easily one of my top 10 IPA's.

The malt bill is rather subtle, but definitely proficient enough. I would describe it as a wonderfully crafted loaf of bread, with hints of brown sugar and caramel. It isn't deep at all, leaving a crisp, not overwhelming taste of just absolutely wonderful malts on the tongue. I wouldn't consider this malt bill aggressive at all, but as I said it is definitely proficient.

Stone absolutely nailed the hop bill on this beer. When they state that both bittering hops and aroma/flavor hops are well balanced, they are 100% stating the truth. The fresher you get this beer (always check the best by date), the more pronounced the bittering hops will be. If you get an older batch of this beer, the bittering hops probably have settled and you will be left with a sweeter IPA (which some people like). This last batch I got however is dated best by 05/04/14, and it is 02/26/14. I would consider this rather fresh, but not as fresh as I would like.

I've tried probably close to 20 6-packs of this beer, so I feel as if I'm rather qualified to rate it.
The hop profile is rather complex....I see that a lot of people describe the hop profile as "citrusy", but honestly that isn't what first comes to my mind. The forward hop flavor in this beer, to me at least, is a variety that is PUNGENT in humulene and low in alpha acids (such as a noble hop). I'm rather sure they don't use noble hops for this beer, but that is what the flavor reminds me of, which leads me to believe the primary flavoring hop is rather low in alpha acids and high in beta acids, particularly humelene and myrcene. With this being said, I do taste a slight citrus note, but it isn't the predominant flavor. It is a rather bitter grapefruit/mango/papaya type flavor. The dominant hop flavor I get from this beer is that of an herbal variety. I mean very herbal, almost like a lemon thyme/rosemary/spearmint flavor. Either way, I fully approve of this hop profile. The bittering hops and flavor/aroma hops they chose beautifully compliment each other, making this one of my favorite IPA's.

I don't describe the pour of this beer because I don't pour IPA's. I think that the carbonation snap that is achieved directly from a bottle is essential in a proper tasting. Pouring these beers releases important volatile essential oils into the air, many of which are important to the final characteristics of the beer.

Cheers people!!! This one gets an easy 4.5/5, and that is being stingy!!!

02-26-2014 22:24:25 | More by arc0042
PBIU

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone first came to Chicagoland in the Spring of 2010.

This was about the time I was beginning to expand my craft beer horizons and Stone was a great brewery to dive into.

Not quite sure why some video reviewers knock on this IPA (thinking Better Beer Authority) here. Although those guys are a bit goofy at times and I find myself disagreeing with them about 80% of the time.

So here is the review. Had this beer on-tap from my basement kegerator (many more pints to come).

Appearance is a bit orange with a nice bright look. Nice lacing on the glass when swirled and about a two finger head.

Smell is citrus focused with a bit of carmel malt at the tail end.

Taste is very smooth. Well balanced play with the hops and malt here where one does not overpower the other. Dry finish. Typical West Coast IPA taste and from the guys that really invented the San Diego IPA style in the 90s.

Mouthfeel is not what you would think with this. Coming in at 6.9% one would think a heavier syrupy mouthfeel would be present. Stone IPA is light and smooth. Some may say a bit watery for the style, but I think it works well with this offering.

Overall just a good solid beer. Stone delivers and I can see why they have such a cult following.

02-26-2014 18:22:07 | More by PBIU
Bone53

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Golden copper with a one finger off white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Funky hop extraction and mild pepper in the nose, and at that moment I knew that this wouldn't be the IPA for me

Taste: Syrupy hop extraction and a hint of malts with the pepper that puts me off.

Mouthfeel: Goes down smooth with subtle bitterness.

Overall: Did I get a bad batch? Coming from Stone, I was underwhelmed to say the least

02-24-2014 06:13:03 | More by Bone53
Bouleboubier

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A West Coast IPA whose magnificence I certainly must not understand.

The hops are of a blend of fresh-cut grass, holiday wreath, and green onions. A modicum of sweet malt combines with additional hop flavors to create a mild, sweet orange-creme nuance. The chlorophyll-leafy and green onion-like pungency and bitterness has always turned me off enough with Stone's beers not to have any urge to order a pint or buy a bottle. Some of their darker beers exhibit these qualities, but a couple actually taste pretty good. I'm seriously going to have to find out which of the hops they use offends me. Or is it the yeast? It bugs me, because a lot of people love their beers.... Then again, none of their beers below 6% abv score above 4 on here. Maybe there's my answer... Gonna see what Levitation has to offer.

02-12-2014 01:01:09 | More by Bouleboubier
Johnny_Muir

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz into tulip glass. I had heard so many good things about Stone, and this being my first beer of theirs, I was not disappointed! This is all that you expect from an IPA: Bold, hoppy, whamma bama crocodile slammah! Glad I bought the full six pack.

02-11-2014 05:08:27 | More by Johnny_Muir
eclipse54

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

A 12 ounce bottle picked up at the local as a single - realized I never wrote a review for this one and wanted to correct that oversight. Into the tulip it goes.

A tangerine colored body with a finger’s breadth of fluffy white head comprised of various sizes of bubbles. Average retention and generous wet lacing. Aroma is of pine, citrus (orange and lemon with a dash of grapefruit), grass, and a bit of caramel malt (hint of age on the bottle, I suppose). Flavor draws a bit more malt, but still generous doses of lemon, grapefruit, and pine up front. Bitter, earthen hops dominate the middle and finish. Lively body with perfect carbonation, dry, bitter finish. Overall, a well balanced IPA that is a great example of the style. I do wish Stone had a more robust bottle dating system (the date was wiped off this bottle), but it’s still fresh enough to be enjoyable.

02-11-2014 00:36:42 | More by eclipse54
Boca-X

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a Sin City Brewing Co (Nevada) pint glass. Light head, faded fast, light lacing, lasted throughout drink. Golden, honey orange...a little cloudy to the eyes.

Slight hops on the nose, orange, grapefruit, lemon, pine...what you would expect from an IPA.

Mellow pine, citrus...a hint of candy cane and dark/burnt coco on the front of the tongue. Extremely smooth. The finish tastes of bitter lazy grapefruit. Bitter finish is fast, then gone...probably why so many people like it?

I've had the Bastard and thought it was very good. This is extremely balanced and smooth, making it very drinkable, if you enjoy IPAs you'll like this. Honestly, it isn't much different from lots of very good beers in this style? I will drink again...it's good...close to great...but...?

I'll come back to it and review it again in the summer...maybe the change in weather will help? I must say I've been drinking a lot of very hoppy IPAs lately, so my buds are all juiced up!

02-10-2014 22:31:43 | More by Boca-X
SteveB24

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pours 2 fingers of sticky white head that retains pretty well. Lots of little bubbles.

Smell: hoppy spice with some strong pine in there too. Touch of mild fruit lurking as well.

Taste: smooth but not subtle spicey and piney hop, a bit of malt backing up the hop notes

Mouthfeel: medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, slightly dry in the finish.

Overall: if you want an IPA, and only a classical, crisp beer that is everything you think of when you think IPA will do, buy this beer

02-09-2014 19:39:35 | More by SteveB24
Cfeezy

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Rich copper color with a nice, foamy head with consistent bubbling and moderate lacing

S - Has spicy floral hoppy aroma

T - Strong taste of hops with hints of pine and grapefruit. Some nice bitterness, which is mellowed out by a bit of spiciness

M - A rich, carbonation-filled bite

O - This is an outstanding IPA, top tier, however I still prefer the ENJOY BY IPA.

02-08-2014 20:14:12 | More by Cfeezy
Flopjack

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Golden, orange, yellow, resembles honey in color, half finger white head settles nicely leaving a ring, nice lacing.

Smell - Pungent, tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, grapefruit. A bit of sweet roasty caramel like notes as well.

Taste - Sweet and spicy tropical fruits at the beginning, grapefruit, mango, a bit of piny tartness. Light roast with an underlying sweetness followed by lemon and orange zest toward the end.

Mouthfeel - Refreshing, medium body, medium to heavy carbonation.

Overall - Good consistent beer. Haven't had tons of stone beers but this is one that hasn't ever disappointed.

02-08-2014 00:29:17 | More by Flopjack
lochef81

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

As a huge fan of all of Stones offerings, I am finally getting around to tasting one of their simpler, less in your face ales. Pours a handsome hazy orange with almost notes of green in the light with a slight white head and substantial lacing. The nose is somewhat subtle for a west coast ipa. Floral and citrus hops, some pine and a little malt. It definitely smells very fresh and lively. The flavor is perfect west coast ipa. Bitter and hoppy, tons of pine and citrus. Just a little malt to offset the bitter but not so much to take away from the fresh flavors of the hops. The mouth is light and easy drinking. A little dry on the finish but in the best way. This is the benchmark for west coast ipas. If they all tasted like this the world would be a better place.

02-04-2014 04:05:51 | More by lochef81
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a twelve ounce bottle.

A great appearance to start, with a finger-thick head that's both frothy and chewy-looking. As the head dissipates, it leaves lots of sticky lacing, but some head persists and remains above the liquid. The liquid is golden with amber hues and shows some moderate carbonation. The beer looks filtered, yet still slightly cloudy.

I get lots of citrus on the nose with hints of pine. The beer smells sweet and semi-malty as well. Almost smells like there's an orange just sitting in there.

The taste follows the nose pretty faithfully. The beer is citrusy and bready. I get a lot of grapefruit peel. There's not as much flavor complexity as I'd expect, but this may have to do with freshness.

This beer is crisp, light and easy-drinking for an IPA. There is an intensely dry and bitter finish, but the beer starts creamier and with a thick mouthfeel. Very impressive in this regard.

Overall, a delicious IPA and one easily accessible. Of course, I have La Cumbre Elevated at my disposal so that one will always have my heart. But this is nice for comparison and to drink every once in a blue.

01-31-2014 04:22:56 | More by ONovoMexicano
SSS

Quebec (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

A- yellow with a golden hue that is clear and bright as day sunlight
M-carbonation is spot on, lacing is not heavy.
T-bitter backend with a beautiful bouquet in your mouth that dances around and feels fantastic. There is a slight sweet hit right on the start.
O-very drinkable, a wonderful west cost IPA that I can drink daily!

01-24-2014 23:12:52 | More by SSS
macher0

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm finally getting around to reviewing this beast.

Expiration date of 2.14.14

A. Medium copper color. Poured a one finger egg shell head. Fine bubble and frothy carbonation. Steady updraft of effervescance. Mega laces.

S. Light fragrance. Mostly pine from the hops and light malts.

T. Moderately bitter. A strong hop profile. Mostly pine flavors but some citrus grapefruit. An excellent balance. Minor biscuit notes. Peppery.

M. Very smooth. High carbonation. Light body. A very pleasant tingle from the freshness.

O. This is a very well crafted ale. I assume this beer falls off as it ages so I'm fortunate to review it while fresh. I greatly enjoy the peppery tingle from a fresh ipa. An excellent balance of pine and citrus notes from the hops. I don't enjoy hop bombs so this is right up my alley. Not overly aggressive but a decent amount of bitterness.

01-16-2014 23:59:45 | More by macher0
mfnmbvp

4.23/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle, with enjoy by date 02/19/2014 printed and chipping away on the side of the bottle. I was finally able to get Stone IPA that wasn't out of date, so it's time for a re-review.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a nice bright coppery orange colored body with two fingers of fluffy doughy off-white head. Some nice thin scattered lacing. Looks very nice.

S - Smell is of big fruity hop bitterness - grapefruit, mango, blood oranges. A hint of biscuit malt and some crisp yeast. Floral and tropical smelling. A hint of soapiness.

T - Taste follows the nose: well balanced caramel / biscuit malts paired with resinous pine, grapefruit, blood orange hoppiness. Creamy; slightly soapy. Delicious, and extremely drinkable at 6.90% abv.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy, medium bodied with good carbonation. Some sticky resinous pine and dry bready malt on the palate.

Overall, it is all around drinkable, and delicious. I can definitely say I think much more highly of this beer now than when I reviewed it sometime last year. I can safely say that this is a pinnacle IPA right here. Stone may go over the top oftentimes, but this beer still ranks with the best of them.

Stone IPA ---4/5.

01-11-2014 02:19:47 | More by mfnmbvp
kwc017

Arizona

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Clear and light. Looks so refreshing!

S - Wonderful hop spice. A bit floral. Hop, hop and more hop.

T - Very similar to smell. Spice, floral hoppy goodness. Hop resin lingers and bitterness is just awesome.

M - Light carbonation. Very clean.

O - Just a classic west coast IPA. Very hoppy, not much malt, a little sweet. Hop aftertaste is awesome. I love this beer. Cheers!

01-03-2014 04:12:52 | More by kwc017
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.