Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,152
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with a finger of off-white head.

S: Orange, grapefruit, mango, and pine.

T: Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, pine, with some light bitterness.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and a bit sticky.

O: This is my first Stone offering, it exceeded my expectations. Definitely look forward to trying some of their other hoppy stuff. (416 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Stone IPA

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint. Served chilled...

A) A pleasing golden amber with a finger of white foam. Nice retention and ample lacing.

S) An herbal/earthy aroma. Pine, lemon grass and a hint of tropical fruit.

T) Really nice balance.... Follows the nose. Super clean finish.

M) Stone really knows how to craft an IPA with an excellent mouthfeel. So smooth... Medium body with perfect carbonation.

O) Excellent IPA... Top notch drinkability. Smooth and refreshing. I'd drink this more often if I could. (538 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Just a damn good ale!

Look is medium golden/amber-colored w/ a nice head, tons of lacing and some retention..

Smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree trunk w/ a hint of good weed.

Taste is "Stone IPA" which I'm always happy to enjoy. I often drink IPA's from the bottle, but this one is absolutely better in a glass.

Feel is better than most IPA's- IMO. It doesn't develop a shitty, dry sourness that some IPA's get as they warm up a bit.

Basically, I always have some on hand. You don't have to look hard for the stuff, it's not expensive and everyone likes it.

As with so many of Stone's IPA's, it's simply, "how it should be." (639 characters)

How does this get a rating of 99? I wish "the bro's" could have had some of the six pack I got today, because this was awful. No way in hell they would drink my specific bottles of this and agree that it is world class.

WOW, I have had this beer before and it was decent then, but this time when I am reviewing it, it is horrible. Way too grassy for me, and not alot of pine and citrus that seems to characterize some of the other Stone's. Maybe it is a bad batch? I tossed the rest of the 6 pack out after I drained poured this one. I don't get it, this doesn't seem to have any hops at all.. Bottle date says to drink by 8/18/2014. It is June, so lack of freshness certainly isn't an excuse. What I got here is just completely uneventful and disappointing.

I found the hop characteristics that epitomize Stone beers to be completely non-existent with this specific 6 pack. I actually did a drain pour with a Stone beer (go figure) and am saving for the Sculpin IPA bomber I picked up at Whole Foods. I really dislike this beer. Have no idea what the deal is with this six pack I picked up, but will not be getting it again. (1,127 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy reddish gold color with a nice foamy white head that lingers and produces nice lacing.

The aroma is herbal hops with pine and grapefruit zest in the mix.

This is a hopheads delight, lots of pine resin up front, grapefruit, grassy notes all the way through supported by a nice bready malt background with some vague fruit esters. The finish is dry with plenty of lingering pine resin taste.

Medium bodied, smooth and rich, very drinkable and refreshing.

Overall a really nice IPA for the hop lovers, those not into serious hops should try something else. (566 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a hop bomb. Stone is becoming one of my favorite breweries and my only complaint is that they only bottle. Cans, guys do some cans.

I have had several lately from Stone and look forward to trying more of their lineup. Although I am not really a stout person I may have to give that one a go as well. The price is always dead on for what you get. Which is a plus. I understand the bottle, I swear I used to prefer bottles over cans, but the new canning techniques make it taste so much fresher. I do like how they put an etched label on so you can stick some in a cooler without getting that nasty label glue melted ice mix.

Appearance: Some reddish straw color, nice IPA coloring. Head was about in line with the Enjoy by I had recently, frothed up for a minute or two but settled into a nice lacing pattern.

Smell: Oh this is where they get you. These guys like hops and make sure you know they do. Piney, floral with some tropical fruits in there. A well balanced aroma.

Taste: I just think this beer is amazing, and for the price its a steal. I just purchased a bomber but for $4.50 I believe that is amazing that they can produce such quality at such a reasonable price. It was hop forward assertive and kind of dank, but had a nice floral balance to go along with the bitterness. I really enjoyed this one. My hats are off to the guys a Stone.

Overall: I am sold on this company and I will continue to buy their products. They make an accessible beer, with quality ingredients and in today's market at a really good price. (1,543 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a. Golden in color, 2 finger head which did not last. Light lacing on glass.

s. Bread, pine and grapefruit.

t. Sweet up front - bitter pine on the finish. Balanced well for nearly 9% alcohol - totally hidden.

m. Very nice carbonation and quick bitter taste in back of throat does not linger.

o. Taste rules on this one - Stone IPA is excellent. (349 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Hazy golden straw colored beer. Huge lucious white foamy head that lingers and leaves lots of lacing.

S: Nice bold hop aroma with citrus of tangerine and grapefruit peel. Smells very inviting.

T: Fairly mellow citrus rind bitterness. Not a whole lot of flavor going on aside from that hop flavor that tastes like citrus rind. I don't get any grain flavor or any other hop character. It's good.

M: The mouthfeel is just right. Good carbonation and bitterness. Pretty wet finish.

O: I liked it. I wish it had more flavor to it but it was good. No regrets buying it. (570 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle, best by 6/15/14. Reviewed live from an IPA glass.

A - Deep yellow, light white pillow, excellent lacing.

S - Light melon fruit and pine.

T - Nice balanced pine and fruit tones. Bitter enough, but not too astringent.

M - Crisp, light, drinkable. Very refreshing IPA.

O - An archetype of the West Coast style. What more is there to say? (354 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - This beer pours up golden copper, nearly clear. White head, dense bubbles that pillow out to a thin layer, with extravagant lacing. A beautiful pour indeed.

S - Bright citrus notes, heavier toward lemon and orange, with pine resin, and a slight pepper and grass close.

T - Following the nose, with big lemon and orange zest, leading into citrus flesh as the sweetness of the malts links up. The pine and resin comes out in the middle, and it runs into the close, where the bitterness swells and holds for a while after the swallow. Along with the bitter, there are hints of pepper spiciness and sour lemon.

M - Light, but with a chewy back-end and considerable building dryness. This is not a gentle IPA - it gets in there to do some damage.

O - This is one I've been meaning to try, but it wasn't until the 4-bottle box, when I got a couple along with all the other options (all of which I've bought separately), that I finally tried one. The beer is very good rendition of the style, and well worth the price. (1,019 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured bottle into glass. 6/12/14 Freshness date. 6.9% abv.

Appearance- Pours a bright medium orange amber. Very clear. Fluffy two finger head that hangs around.

Smell- Tropical notes of orange and pineapple. Quite floral as well.

Taste- Pine and grass notes up front blending quickly into a biscuit malt flavor. The earthy hop finish is pronounced. The bitterness lasts awile for a dry hop wrap up.

Mouthfeel- Slick and moderate in body. Not thin. Ample carbonation.

Overall- An IPA that is very solid. A fine creation of the style indeed. The quality Stone puts into their beers is a reflection to this flagship IPA of theirs. (633 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone IPA 6 pk bottles $10.99(OH)

12 oz brown painted label bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Fresh by date printed in yellow just below the neck.

pours a dark gold, light amber color. A three finger thick peach white head that lingers for a while. gives way to impressive spiderweb lacing all over the bulb of the glass.

The aroma is that of an IPA. Nice and strong citrus up front. strong grapefruits, a nice lemon tang, followed by a slight piney smell.

Taste follows the nose. A nice citrus grapefruit taste at first, followed by a big hoppy flavor, finishes with a nice piney surrounding that is slightly bitter.

the mouth feel is rather light for an IPA. I have no complaints though, all the tastes cling to your mouth. A medium body IPA. At the end a piney bitterness lingers.

Overall a great IPA. I misjudged this one at first. Stone's brews are all excellent! This is great but they make so many DIPA's I prefer more. (949 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer pours a deep golden amber color with barely a finger of head. The aroma is amazing with a big burst of pine and citrus. This was one of my first ipas ever about a year ago, and it was extremely bitter. After a year of letting ipas wreck my palate this still packs a punch, but it is a much more enjoyable bitterness. Honestly I wish more ipas were still this bitter to me. Besides the bitterness the taste overall is amazing with citrus, bready/caramel malt, and BIG pine which helps amplify the bitterness. Overall, this is a great ipa and one that got me into loving the style. This is the perfect beer for the ipa lover, but if your new to the style the bitterness could be overwhelming. (91/100) (709 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Difficult one for me, I have become accustomed to PNW brews and this hangs way over on the citrusy side, from the aroma to the taste I just live n a different part of the world I bought this due to the BA rating so I respect where it comes from but there are just to many better options so I will not return to this one. (320 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Decided to do a ruination and stone IPA vertical. I have always had these on separate occasions and failed to really noticed much difference. I was quite wrong.

A - poured a slightly hazy golden orange with one finger frothy head, nice cap of foam remained, and a little lacing.

S - pungent piney nose, bright citrus, almost lemony. Cereal malt notes round it out, slight grain character.

T - hop nose carries over to the taste, very piney resinous and lemony citrus. Very crisp malt character provides a great balance. Finishes with ample hop bitterness, very dry and clean.

M - on the thin side body wise but still has some stickiness, well attenuated and crisp.

O - overall this is a great American IPA, great hop flavor and balance with a nice crisp dry finish. Regarding my verticle with ruination, this doesn't have nearly the hop flavor, or malt sweetness, but provides a little more balance, certainty two very different beers as this is more lighter and crisp. (979 characters)

Perfect hoppy, mix of pine and lemon. My favorite IPA by far, west coast has it.

SERVING: TAP AND BOTTLE. I prefer tap.
Appearance: Golden with white top
Smell: Piney, strong hoppy.
Taste: Zesty, with lemon plenty of hops.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing.
Perfect IPA. (267 characters)

A: Golden nicely carbonated with a white head and generous lacing.
S: Citrus and floral nose. Smells clean with pine presence.
T: Lemongrass and piney hop notes among the flavors. Hop forward in every way.
M: Crisp, clean body with a dry hoppy finish.
O: Very nice IPA. (274 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy light copper with a finger of soapy head that sticks around. Classic IPA smell: A flowery aroma with some grapefruit, orange, lemon zest, and clean crackery malt. Stone touts on the label, "to say that this gem of an IPA is 'hoppy' would be putting it modestly." Maybe that was true with this beer debuted, but to the modern palate, the hop level here is manageable if not average. That's a good thing for those of us who like balance in a hoppy beer. The taste is crisp and refreshing with a citrusy payload, a neutralizing malt backbone, and an oniony, earthy character that lingers in the background. I think one of the most underrated aspects of drinking beer is the aftertaste you get when you breathe out through your nose after a glass, and Stone IPA is the best beer I know of when it comes to these bonus flavors: it has a nice herbal and flowery aftertaste. Overall it's my favorite of the Stone offerings that I've tried. (939 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Light orange with a nice off-white head that dissipates into a nice lacing.

S: Inviting without being overwhelming. A little deceiving.

T: Very tasty. Hops are not overwhelming at all, but still very flavorful. No hint of alcohol.

M: I really like how this feels. Thick, rich and smooth. Doesn't feel watery. Very full and fulfilling feel on the palate.

O: Stone continues to impress me. This is an outstanding and easy to drink IPA. Very similar to the Enjoy By IPA I recently had but lacks the overall freshness, but to be expected. At $9.99 for a six pack in most places, you can't go wrong. (601 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thus far, one of the best IPA's I have had in a long time. It has a fantastic hoppy flavor that manages to still be smooth. You could easily drink this one over and over while maintaining a full flavor IPA. Good beer for party or casual drinking.... (249 characters)

This is my favorite IPA and a goto beer for me.

Pour - excellent voluminous, frothy pour; leaving a gorgeous three finger, frothy, sea foam head.

Appearance - Very nice, clear amber. Lacing is outstanding.

Nose - The nose is not powerful, but does bring up a nice light grapefruit/pine/resin scent.

Taste - Yummy. Not thick and or over the top; but rather a perfect balance. Ruby Red grapefruit juice, pine resin, yummy sweet malt.

Finish - perfect. Bitter, long lasting, citrus sour.

This is truly a world class beer. (530 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bottle with a hazy golden yellow color and a decently foamy white head. Has a very nice hoppy floral aroma. Taste is kind of sweet up front, dominated by floral notes with touches of citrus. The finish is a surprising amount of bitterness that lingers a while. The beer has a nice full body feel with some carbonation. This is very refreshing and enjoyable. (371 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light amber to brown in color. A minuscule bit of white head partially covers the top of the beer. A bit hazy with Brussels lacing. Incredibly enticing aroma of pine like hops reminiscent of pineapple greets me. The mouth is a little sticky and the bitterness prickles my tongue. When I take a sip I get a short but sharp burst of pine like hops and then some light malt to back it up. I get a nice gentle bitter fade. (418 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: straight from the bottle yo, my bad.

S: delightfully crisp

T: very smooth and drinkable IPA

M: light and hoppy

O: this was a decent IPA at a great price and availability. I much prefer the Ruination but this is a very good and like-minded substitute for when that is not available. (288 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very solid IPA. Not as overly floral as some IPAs. Very well balanced. Citrus grapefruit smell and taste. Very smooth, the 6.9% can launch a sneak attack without warning. Even though this beer was released more than a decade ago and was ahead of the curve at the time, it still holds its own very well. (302 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.