Follow our progress ...

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,944 | Ratings: 10,656
4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

Stone can do no wrong. This beer doesn't look like anything too special. I got a one-finger, sticky, white head when I poured this. And other than the somewhat thick appearance, this looks no different than any run-of-the-mill American ale.
I almost enjoy smelling this hoppy brew as much as I like drinking it. The sweet, musty nose stays with you even when you walk away from the beer. The taste is just hoppy goodness. It tastes like it should be darker than it is. Great spiciness. The mouthful is oh so creamy and the aftertaste makes me want to crack open another. I think I will. One other note, it's difficult to review this beer because I can't stop guzzling it for long enough to make any thoughtful observations.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%

Com'es in a 22 oz. bomber. Pours a very carbonated light copper with a pillowy head. Smells very fruit and hoppy. A georgous boquet. An amazing amount of hops greet your mouth at first, very overpowering and tasty. Finishes suprisingly malty for an IPA/ Round this brew off real well. Nice and bready. Feels creamy in the mouth, and wonderfully drinkable. Could drink this one all night, finding new nuances every sip. Excellent.

Thanks to HardTarget for sending me this one.

This is a fairly standard offering from Stone. Appears a very typical amber color with a nice puffy head and great lacing. Smells of course of hops, maybe a bit of fruit in there as well, which in my book is a good sign for an IPA. Taste is very hoppy, but not over the top as Stone often claims to be. Other than that classic Stone bitterness this beer doesn't stand out to me as being particularly challenging. This beer practically drinks itself, it's so smooth in the mouth.
Maybe it's because I've been drinking a lot of good IPA's lately (I had a Ruination much earlier in the day) but this beer struck me as solid, yes, it's obviously a good beer, but it doesn't really challenge the style as much as thier other beers do. A good beer to drink nonetheless.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Beatuiful and pale with nice carboantion throughout the drink. Big, fluffy head which is white and leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is piney like a huge truck of hops was dumped straight into the biol. Taste is strong, a bit of alcohol and a lot of citrousy, astringent hop oils dominate the palate immediately. This is a good beer, worthy of a lot of admiration, but in the end I think its biting off more than I can chew. A little too bitter and carbonated.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a golden orange. Fluffy white head and great sticky lacings.

Awesome floral aroma and strong hops burst through the nose. Aroma is powerful and distinct.

Taste is spicy up front with a citrus character. Very sticky and resiny mouthful. Sharp bite with a monster hop profile. Piney and syrupy.

I have had this IPA from Stone several times and I finally decided to review it. This is an awesome American IPA that really amazes me. Recommended for anyone who enjoys IPA's with a major hoppy profile.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a golden copperish mixture with a nice white head that falls to ring of foam but laces nicley. Aroma is mostley floral hops with sweet caramle malt some citrus hints sneaking in. Taste is hops then sweetmalt takes over for an instant then more floral flavors with a bitter kick. This is a very balanced IPA malt and hops in the perfect blend being a Stone I was expecting hop overload but this is just a good solid IPA. If not for the bottle never would have guessed it as a Stone. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, it is a solid IPA, nothing extaordinary but very nicely done.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

A true American style IPA. This is a style which I have only learned to enjoy very recently. Pours into my pint glass with an inch or so thick head which quickly settles into a thin coating which mostly covers surface of the beverage. True Gold in color. Leaves some lacing. You can smell the hops and even the apha acid in this one. The smell gives a pretty good indication of the taste. Hops dominate, which good floral flavors and plenty of bitterness. Smooth pleasant malt becomes apparent in the background as it warms. Overall a very tasty beer, did not enjoy it quite as much as Dogfish 90 minute, but pretty close. Gave it a 3.5 for drinkability because I can't imagine drinking more than say two of these in a night.
Thanks Mrpicklerelish for the bottle

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours from the bomber a wonderful golden orange with a fluffy, bubbly white head. The smell is of bountiful citrusy hops....oranges, grapefruits, pineapple....with some floral tones as well. A bit of caramel in the nose as well. Fun to just sit here and smell.

First taste is well balanced, mouth puckering goodness. The hops are upfront with a nice malt backbone that brings it together well. A good amount of biterness hits the back of the palate. A mix of floral and citrus in my mouth with caramel sweetness that barely makes it out past the bountiful biterness.

Mouthfeel is spot on and makes this brew easy to down. Big gulps make me happy. Drinkability is very good as well. If I had access to this I could down a few in a night and enjoy every minute. Thanks to my friend kmpitz2 for bringing this one by for me!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours translucent gold with a fluffy, sticky white head, with lots of bubbles racing to join it.

A symphony of hops fills the nostrils with a dominant piney, resiny note. A sharper hop tone than other examples of the style, done very forcefully and very cleanly. A joy to behold.

Smooth, mellow hop flavor that is as balanced as you want an IPA to be (or at least as balanced as *I* want an IPA to be). The pine and resin notes aren't as prevalent on the palate as they are in the air. The sweetness of the malt is there, but it's been beaten bloody and left to die in the street by the gang of vicious, delicious hops.

A creamy, slightly tingly feel in the mouth leaves you ready for the next sip. I can't imagine how it could be any better in this regard.

The alcohol content leaves this as an iffy choice for a session beer, unless your liver happens to be pickled; however, it's certainly one you can enjoy to kick off or wind down your evening, and one you'll definitely enjoy (unless hops aren't your thing).

As an aside, I really need to do a side-by-side tasting of this and Smuttynose's IPA offering, because each time I drink one, I swear it's better than the other. Hooray for both.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

From a 12 oz. bottle pours a clear very light amber color with a white foamy head. The head left a little too quick, however there was a nice amount of lace on the glass. The smell of hops hits you immediately. This is more of a grassy, or herbal hop smell compaired to citrus or grapefruit that is common. Although, there seems to be a slight citrus note in the nose as well. The taste again hits you with hops that are spicy and grassy. There is a good amount of malt that keeps this beer from being too out of control. Medium body, carbonation is moderate. The alcohol in this can sneak up on you after a few, but still pretty drinkable. Overall this is pretty straightforward, hops and hops, with just enough malt. Great example of an American IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours an amber-copper color that is best described as orange. A couple of fingers of white head on top. Traces of lacing left on glass. The smell is an overpowering , yet wonderful hop aroma. Taste is of hops with a flavor Im not thrilled with. Okay, but not great. A little too much of the bitter aftertaste hanging around in the mouth. After finishing one, I dont really want another. I have 5 more to drink, and Im sure I will enjoy them, but its a very good, but not great beer.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled in an imperial pint glass from the kegerator.

Light copper color, fluffy white head that lasts, nice lacing. Aromatics are very malty... almost worty with a floral citrus finish. Flavor is extremely well balanced between the hops and the malt. The bittering hops are up front and assertive but moves into a very hoppy flavor with a huge malt backbone, finishes slightly sweet. The mouthfeel is pleasant, medium and slightly dry. Very drinkable, the alcohol is a bit on the high end for a session beer... but thats okay, I enjoy it thoroughly.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I didn't know that Stone made a "normal" beer? This is a very nicely balanced and easy to drink IPA.

The beer pours a golden/yellow color with a nice, inviting white head. Good citrus hop aroma -- and definite American IPA profile. As the beer warms a bit, malt balance comes through in the aroma. Maybe could use a little more malt, but not much. Balance is what makes this beer for me, so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this on tap for the first time recently and Wow what a difference. Pours the same orange-copper colour. Not much of a head, but then again I dont know how long it sat before it was brought to me. The smell is lovely piney hops. Almost a bit medicinal in a good way. The taste is similar to the bottle, but the hops seem fresher and more pronounced. Mouthfeel is smooth with just the prickle of the hoppiness to let you know its still there. Drinkability is great. I could drink this off the tap all night. And WOW what hop burps.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This came in the typical Stone 22oz silk-screened bomber with the gargoyle on it. This poured out a light orange with a tall rising out of the glass head of off white foam. Scattered lacing was left around the glass as this was consumed. Strong floral aromas rose from the glass that was backed by and equally string citric piney smell. Completely hop dominated nose but not to the point of being over done, there was a doughy malt presence keeping it in check. Citric bitterness hit the tongue first with a slightly sweet malt coming though shortly after. The after taste was mildly bitter with an earthy hop bite. A fairly balanced flavor that keep the emphasis on the hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with about a medium body. I could drink this stuff all day, one of my favorite IPAs.

22 ounce bottle

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, this beer has a nice lemony yellow and peach tinited color. The head needed a little coaxing, but I got an inch off a hard pour. Sticky, whispy white foam with average retention.

Smell: This is where it's at. This beer has a dramatic amount of hops in the nose. Sharp piney bitterness and sweet fruity floral scents lie in wait. Wonderfully dry-hopped.

Taste: Very nice. This has ample hop presence; it is initally very raw and bitter. As one continues to sip, the citric sweetness of the hops comes out and melds well with the malts. This is finely tuned to allow the blend of hops to really just stick out and do their work. A very nice, and clean IPA.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not cloying or overly syrupy, this has a good balance of hop oils and malts to allow it to go down smoothly.

Drinkability: I had no problem finishing the bomber. Would I buy more at $6 a pop? I can't say. I know I barely prefer HopDevil just for orginality, and it is much more affordable on this side of the country. Someone brings them to me though....watch out. Glug, glug, glug.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

I really like this for an IPA, and I'm not a huge IPA fan. I love the lacing left on the glass and the overwelming aroma of hops. Citrusy and slightly piney notes from the hops. Taste is almost a pallate stripping assult of hops, but there is a bit of malt to be found there, but it's hiding well ;).

Overall, a good IPA. A bit more malt would really make this a winner for me, but overall, not bad at all.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Sampled from a bomber freshly poured into the 3 straight sided pints.

Aroma is piney, catty and depply resinous on a base of toasty biscuit notes.

Flavor matches and follows with a relatively thin toasted malt body competing to hold off the attack of a vigorous American bitterness.

Overall I like the balance of the beer (which is slanted decidely to the hops) and the crispness of the final product.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

This is my first Stone product. The appearance is nice. Pours a nice golden orange color, slighly hazy with a smallish white head. The smell is fairly strong with hops, hops, more hops and maybe a acid like citrous scent. The taste is fantastic. I am not a hop head but this is loaded with hop flavor and bitterness and I enjoyed it. Wow ! Holy hops ! The mouthfeel is good. Much thicker than I expected. It really coats the tongue and mouth letting the flavorful beer be enjoyed. There is a long lasting aftertaste of well...hops. This is a good IPA. This would be hard for me to drink all night but two or so is just right.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

this was, by far, the 'safest' stone brew i've had thusfar, and probably the most disappointing. was it still good? of course, but did not live up to the stone 'hype' so to speak. i expected a hop onslaught, but maybe i'll get that when i sample the ruination later on in the week. this one seemed tame by west coast standards, dare i say more like an east coast ipa. it pours an above average amber colour. nothing special, but better than average. head is fairly thin, but sticky. carbonation is abound throughout the body. the smell is a nice blend of bread, hop, butter and a touch of pina colada. very nice but it doesn't stray much from what you'd expect from an ipa. the flavour is a nice balance between juicy sweet and hoppy. it starts off sweet, moves into the hop attack and then finishes with a dryness that still has hints of juicy sweetness interlaced. the hop burps are quite flavourful. mouthfeel was a touch thin but this was an enjoybale and highly drinkable brew overall. is it strange to say that i enjoyed this one while being let down by it at the same time? well, i was, but i'd still happily sample it again any day.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Served on tap at Chalkie's in Indianapolis, IN

Appearance: Served in an English Pint glass. A clear amber orange with a rocky white head. This is just a beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Citrusy, floral hops rip my nostrils! A hoppy, bitter smell dominates. Very inviting and a hop-heads delight to be sure.

Taste: Very consistent with the smell. A grapefruit, citrusy sweet taste initially and then a crisp and bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Prickly, medium bodied, and palate blowing!

Drinkability: If I didn't care about my tongue, I would drink them all night! I don't consider myself a huge hop-head and I found myself loving this. It's really a finely crafted beer. Most people probably couldn't make a session out of it but it's refreshing enough that it would work for me. Even if you aren't into hoppy beers, you should try this just to make sure.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark golden to light amber color, very clear, wih a small white head that leaves a beautiful, thick lacing behind. The aroma is flat-out amazing... once again, I'm engulfed by fumes of new carpet smell (seems to be something each Stone brew I've had has in common with the next), grapefruity citrus smells and honey as it warmed. As expected of Stone, all tastes were huge as well... really spicy up front, honey-cereal sweet and citrus tangy in the middle and then a solid, dry bitterness that coated my tongue and lasted. Mouthfeel is slightly oily with medium body and carbonation, and overall, it's very smooth. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. Stone hasn't disappointed yet.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz bottle. Pours out a deep orange/peachy color with a hint of golden color in there with a nice amount of carbonation that stays with you until the end. Smell consisted of lots of hops. I noticed on the back that it's dry hopped as well. Some background malts can be detected as well along with some citrus notes. Taste was quite nice. Big hops come across first along with some piney notes, but once you think the hops are going to have a huge bite, some nice malts hide the hops along with some citrus notes. Almost juicy-like in taste. Medium body with the right amount of carbonation blending in. Overall a nice well rounded IPA. First Stone I've had and look forward to many more.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

22 oz. bottle. The smell of fresh cannabis bud took me back to the days of yore with hydros and grow lights. Poured with no head. The taste was grapefruit bittersweet with enough of a malt presence to keep the hops from overwhelming. The full body of this brew carries the flavors nicely. Probably the best of Stones widely availible beers.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Ah Stone Brewing Co Can you do no wrong? By me; no.
This one pours a lovely orange color with a minimal white head. Smell is very hoppy and piney though not as assertive as alpha king or dreadnaught. Flavor, at first is predominately hoppy but the aftertaste lets some malt and piney notes come through. Very nicely balanced as I can have 2-3 without any palate fatigue. Excelent drinkablity for a 7 percent ale. Although it won't top alpha king or dreadnaught as my go to beer when I'm having a hop craving, I will definately be returning to Stone's IPA.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.