Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle says enjoy by 02.26.13. Assuming Stone's 90-day shelf life, that means bottled around 28 November 2012. Strange that it's taken me this long to try this, one of the classics of the style.

Pours very clear bright orange amber (leaving the yeast in the bottle). One finger of white head, good retention and outstanding lacing. A thin curtain of bubbles pervades the glass.

Smell is really nice, a pungent but gentle piney hop aroma. Like sniffing a handful of pine needles, really, but it's backed with a twinge of acidic citrus. And there's a fullness that I really appreciate - this is no empty front-heavy IPA. The malts are surely second fiddle, but I know they're there by the solid base the hops are resting on.

Taste is pretty solid. Moderately bitter throughout, assertively but not aggressively so. Has a pronounced dryness, so that the flavor almost gets sucked out of my mouth. Lightly sweet, very grainy malt base.

Mouthfeel is enjoyable. Pleasantly dry, reminding me of a number of hoppy pale ales I've had recently. Starts out fuller, then gets progressively lighter as it dries out. Medium carbonation. At times unobtrusive, allowing the other characteristics to shine through, and at times quite enjoyable. Nice.

I like this, but for some reason it's feeling like less than the sum of its parts. Each element works, but they don't add to each other. I think I might like this much better on another day. As it is, I like it plenty well enough!

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Nice faded orange color that's translucent if you're using an average pint glass. About 1 finger of foam with lots of lacing left.

S- Smells of grapefruit and citrus are first and foremost, with some smells of bread and pine to finish it off.

T- Initial taste of hops and bitterness from the start that is composed of citrus, grapefruit, pines and some tangerines. The bitterness lingers but is not overwhelming, as the flavors end with a sweet bread taste.

M- Medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Seems sticky and thick.

O- As a young guy from the Midwest I was surprised at how enjoyable this IPA was for me. Definitely different from what we get around here. But different isn't necessarily bad. Really enjoyed this and can't wait to try more from Stone to see what they offer.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

on tap at beer study in chapel hill into a snifter

dark copper, mild head. slight citrus hoppy smell. taste is more hop and bitterness focused , but not a hop bomb. balanced, easy drinking. great flavor. piney, citrusy, hoppy. just a great IPA. medium bodied, medium carbonation.

overall just a great IPA. easy drinking, you can't go wrong.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

My friend, Phil, gave me one on New Year's Eve. He didn't have a glass for me to pour it into and wanted to know my review as I drank from the bottle. I told him that I would have to reserve that for another night but I really enjoyed drinking this beer from a bottle (something I almost never do).

Poured from a brown 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date into a pint glass and got 1 1/2 finger of rocky head.

A: Pours a dark honey color with an off-white rocky head that lasts to the end with more than just covering for the top of the beer: good head retention. There is lots of beautiful, slicky lace.

S: I smell grapefruit and grapefruit rind and some other maybe some othe fruits, maybe tropical fruit.

T: Grapefruit rind, pine, grapefruit is what hits me first. Then pine and I know this is a big IPA. It finishes with grapefruit rind and big pine taste. Very hoppy.

M: Goes down easy and smooth. This is a little chewy. The malts balance the extra hoppiness very well. Mildly carbonated.

O: I really like this beer. It goes down smooth and has a real hop bite. It reminds my somewhat of a Sierra Nevada Torpedo but with more bite and a more piny finish.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.