Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
realmpel

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

This is an old standby, a crisp and clean IPA with a bit of a sweet finish. Appearance is a deep straw color. It has a somewhat passive aroma but a big flavor. It's always in the running for growler fills when I'm down at Stone.

Pairs extremely well with burgers and fries.

06-01-2011 14:08:22 | More by realmpel
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Beautiful golden yellow color with about a half inch of head with superb retention. This color is gorgeous

S - Smells super citrusy (and hoppy of course), bitter smelling and orange peels must be the citrus smell. Piney notes present as is sweetness from malt present after really searching for it

T - Tastes nice and hoppy with again orange citrus tastes, quite dry; very refreshing. Herbal hops obvious as well. Malty sweetness makes appearance just before the finish

M - A little on the lighter side (4 out of 10), well carbonated, super dirnkable

O - I like this beer even more than I remembered, maybe I should start considering it one of my favorite ipas again - at least for the summer

06-01-2011 04:15:58 | More by MacQ32
hoppyweasel311

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Pale golden color with a thin layer of frothy white head on top.
Smell- very hoppy/piney and bits of citrus.
Taste- Hoppy from start to finish.. very good creamy mouth feel too. If you love hops then this beer is for you. This beer is pretty straight forward... not a lot of complexities... just hops and more hops.

05-25-2011 19:55:32 | More by hoppyweasel311
colt45n

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Served from a 22oz bomber into a tulip.

A: very clear, medium yellow color, no haze at all.

S: Lots of piny hops in this one, typical for most west coast ipa's, all piny no fruit smell at all.

T: Freshly poured(while cold) all I am getting is the piny hops, didn't really like the flavor profile my first couple sips. Flavor actualy improves as it warms slightly.

D: Very easy drinker, goes down very smooth, light mouthful

Overall I thought this one was pretty decent, the 1st couple sips kind of turned me off but I it warmed slightly the taste got a lot better.

05-21-2011 12:46:23 | More by colt45n
FosterJM

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

498th review on BA
Draft to pint
@BJ's

App- A nice golden yellow with a one finger head and the top of the glass had a nice cling to it.

Smell- As far as IPA's go this one is the godfather to me. Big strong bitter citrus.

Taste- Still a classic. It's orange peel with some bitter and a little creamy malts with a big bitter taste.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Leaves a bitter and malty after taste.

Drink- I'll always come back to this one. Such a classic example of what a single IPA can and should be. Everyone getting into IPA's should have this.

05-21-2011 04:43:37 | More by FosterJM
Nugganooch

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Freshy fresh growler fill Friday!!!

A: Pours a clear bright straw pale with some caramel tones and a nice 1 finger frothy white head with clinging lace.

S: Smells of fruity citrus hops and a nice clean yeast profile.

T: Nice hoppy punch of citrus and pine. Well balanced with a decent caramel maltiness that carries a residual sweetness throughout each drink. Dries out the mouth with some pucker and gives off just a tad of heat.

M: Overall a light medium body that has some residual stickiness on the tongue. Dries up on the finish.

D: An excellent bold IPA that is incredibly smooth and quite sessionable.

Probably a standard in the American IPA category. A showcase of a very well balanced brew. Hoppy but not offensive to the palate in any way with a solid malt base to balance it out.

05-20-2011 19:33:39 | More by Nugganooch
JohnnyChicago

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler.

A: Pours a straw yellow with a perfect white head.

S: Spicy and citrus hops with a bit of sweetness.

T: A nice blast of hops. Seriously, this is the quintessential hop bomb IPA.

D: Crisp, bitter, and extremely refreshing. Alcohol is perfectly hidden and hops are intriguing and ultimately very satisfying.

Overall: A total classic; one of the IPAs that all other IPAs are measured against.

05-18-2011 22:00:31 | More by JohnnyChicago
drinkofczars

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

A- Very light for an IPA. Slightly chalky with a light copper glow. Love the bottle look with the devil and the green.

S- Very strong floral notes, only a slight hint of citrus. As far as the hoppy smell goes, it is perfect. Strong marijuana-skunk smell.

T- Exceptional bitter bite. Still very strong on the floral notes in the taste of the beer. One taste made me thirstier.

M- Not too heavy, not too light. Just the right about of crispy carbonated bite to compliment the bitterness of the hops.

O- This is a great IPA. This would be my go to beer for drinking IPA's but it is not very readily available in my area. I must try more beers from this brewery.

Exceptional IPA.

05-18-2011 21:35:49 | More by drinkofczars
tjsdomer2

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: The best IPA ever in appearance. Cloudy like a hefeweizen. Great layer of cotton-like foam as well.

Smell: Honey and hops. An excellent standardness that works supremely.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Dry hop taste with an apricot-like taste to it. Mouthfeel is supremely crisp as well. This gets better at the end. Lots of yeastiness.

Drinkability: A great session IPA.

Overall: See drinkability.

05-18-2011 01:24:21 | More by tjsdomer2
vrushing88

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer hold a special place in my heart. My buddy took me out for my 21st birthday a few years back, and ordered this for me as my first craft beer. I had no Idea what "I.P.A." was or that their were more breweries outside of the evil "Big Beer" companies, Sam Adams, or PA. Breweries.

I was a virgin beer drinker to say the least. I took one sip of this thought "My God, why would you drink this?" I finished it as I was told... I did my best to avoid I.P.A.'s for over a year. I got the idea to experiment with them, not entirely sure how/why, Dogfish 90 minute/Southern Tier come to mind as to why I started to enjoy I.P.A. beer.

That brings me back to this brew. Now that I can say "I enjoy I.P.A., I had to review the beer that brought me into the world of I.P.A. Since I've rambled enough, I'll keep it simple. This beer is angry, hateful, and if you've had a bad day, pop one of these open because they will channel all that aggression into good I.P.A. This beer is aggressive, and angry, yet relaxing and mellowing. It brings a hop-heavy, malt aroma, how a good beer should smell. I personally find that many I.P.A.s taste "Scummy" like algae in a pool, but this I.P.A. is as clean as a double I.P.A.

My favorite Single I.P.A.!

05-15-2011 22:35:17 | More by vrushing88
mdr4669

4.4/5  rDev +4%

App: Clear yellow body with a fluffy white head and nice thick lacing.

Smell: Citrusy and hoppy, very fresh smelling.

Taste: Initially starts with some grapefruit and citrusy hops and smooths out to a nice biscuity and malty finish. Very well balanced while being able to keep alot of intriguing flavors.

MF: Nice an crisp, creamy and refreshing.

05-15-2011 17:04:39 | More by mdr4669
BurpingtonDC

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Deep amber color with a single fingered foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Little bit of lacing.

S - Bready, touch of pine.

T - Grapefruit and pine. I enjoy this IPA and I would recommend it to those who enjoy this style brew. Very clean and refreshing taste, with the abundant hop flavor lingering on the tongue.

M - Ample carbonation, medium body. Hops stay on the tongue for the duration.

O - Like many people, I enjoy Stone's brews. They are uniformly excellent and their IPA is no exception. I could drink this anytime.

05-14-2011 18:20:31 | More by BurpingtonDC
billybrew21

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into the DFH snifter.

Appearance is translucent deep amber/copper with a thick, condensed whitest of white heads (great retention throughout) - truly a good looking beer. Smell contains strong citrus notes, some floral and some toastiness as well, I can't quite put a finger on it. Up front the taste is herbal and piney...hops are there, but not full blown...flavor is great and the bitterness comes through on the finish. Mouthfeel is what I like to call snappy. Decent carbonation that tickles your mouth, not too thick, not too thin. The balance of this beer is the ultimate strength but the complexity makes for an intriguing experience. Just a great beer overall with great drinkability.

To sum up in three words: Dry hopped awesomeness.

05-14-2011 08:12:50 | More by billybrew21
mater

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Stone imperial pint glass. Best by date of 7/14/11.

A-Pours a cloudy honey orangy color with a nice frothy head and lacing all the way down the glass.

S-Nice fresh citrus hops, pine and maybe lemon? Very faint malt smell.

T-The citrus/grapefruit taste hits you first. I get a little of the lemon that I smelled. I also get a little bit of the malt, but it finishes like an IPA should...bitter.

M-Good carbonation, goes down smooth.

O-Very good brew, many more of these will be consumed in my lifetime.

05-14-2011 07:31:59 | More by mater
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a fair one and a half fingers worth of fairly creamy fluffy off white head. Body is a nice pale/golden and a touch hazy. Smell is a mixture of floral notes, pine, citrus and some carmel. Tastes is mostly resinous piney hops, some carmel, some floral tastes. This is somewhat complex and pleasing to my palate. Medium/thin bodied, medium carbonation. The finish is medium dry, a bit of astringency, a good amount of lingering resinous coating hop bitterness. The lingering piney slick and coating finish detracts from this one. Overall is good but not great.
$2.20 a single.

05-13-2011 23:47:17 | More by Homebrew35
dhd1491

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

This is a really good IPA, but I must give it slightly lower marks than the Full Sail that I just finished. To me, the Stone has a bit of a toasted bread flavor, while the Full Sail is more melon and grass. They're both excellent, and I would be excited to discover either in the fridge, but I'm leaning toward the Full Sail. That being said, the Stone does have a mouthfeel, the word "structure" comes to mind, that is perfectly in balance. I can see why so many others rate it an "A".

05-12-2011 21:53:01 | More by dhd1491
musicforairports

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz into DFH signature glass. Best by June 11; reviewed May 11.

Pours cloudy golden, small head that leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is lots of different hop aromas, but none very strong: an orange/citrus Centennial quality, some pine, some grass, earthiness.

Taste is a lot of orange/grapefruit flavors from the Centennial hops, a bit of sweet malt beneath, and a bunch of herbal and pine hop flavors notable as well. Bitterness hits after the swallow and lingers. Hoppy, but the hops don't smack you in the face like I remember them doing when I had this before I had had many IPAs. Still a good hop-forward IPA, though.

Mouthfeel is a titch watery and not escessive, mildly carbonated, and works well with the beer.

Overall, this one is a good IPA. It's not my favorite out of California, but one I find myself still buying every now and then.

05-12-2011 01:55:47 | More by musicforairports
Reaper16

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a nice yellow orange color, like a school bus paint job. Moderate opacity; I can barely make out the shadows of my fingers through the glass. A little over one finger of sudsy white head leaves adequate lacing. It's unspectacular but pretty.

Classic IPA aromas, delivered with intensity. Grapefruit and pine for days. A lush nectarine component comes off strongly. Not much malt character to speak of on the nose, which is A-OK with me. The alcohol spikes a little bit for me on the nose, which is unexpected given an ABV just under 7%. It's straight-forward but certainly good. Apart from the weird alcohol note, this is a textbook West Coast American IPA aroma profile.

The taste follows the nose. Plenty of acerbic pine bitterness. Some Five Alive action going on: a whole basket of oranges and tangerines and grapefruits. Just a gentle kiss of honey-sweet crystal malt. It's certainly a West Coast IPA; the malt seems there for the pine resin to play off of more than anything. Again, this IPA doesn't bring a lot of innovation to the table. But it executes classic flavors. Good stuff.

My favorite thing about a lot of West Coast IPAs is the thin bodies on them. I love love love love an IPA that is thin like hop water. It's indicative of less malt, sure, but the thinness works for me to accentuate the hop flavors. Stone IPA has the sort of thin mouthfeel that I love. It's not watery, just lean. The carbonation is nice and prickly. If anything, I have to knock it a half-point because it gets a little thick on the swallow.

Back in the early part of the 2000s, before I got into beer, I imagine that this was considered a top-tier IPA. It still should be. Stone has never distributed to where I live (though where I used to live, Kansas City, just started receiving Stone beers). Whenever I'd be in a city that has Stone, I'd always pass up the IPA in favor of bigger, rarer offerings. So this is my first Stone IPA. I wish I'd have had one sooner. It's a lovely example of the American IPA style. It'd be a mainstay of my fridge if I lived within Stone's distribution.

05-08-2011 22:04:57 | More by Reaper16
Seeker41184

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Date Drunk: 12/6/10

12oz into pint glass

A: Beautiful orange-yellowish color with one of the best heads on an IPA.
S: Hops, hops, and more piney hops fill the air. I need an air freshener of this in my car.
T: Grapefruit, lemon zest, floral flavors with a smooth pine aftertaste. Not for a beginner, but is a perfect balance of hops and citrus.
M: Creamy mouth-feel with some medium carbonation.
O: I could drink this everyday, all year round until I ran out of money. Hands down, this is in my top 3 of IPAs.

05-08-2011 17:10:45 | More by Seeker41184
CliffBrake

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Pretty beer - big, creamy, rocky head. Great retention and plenty of lacing. Very light amber color.

Subdued aroma - a bit of fruity esters and sweet bread. The flavor is more impressive with some herbal hops and a touch of pine. Clean dry finish.

Medium body with a zippy carbonation. A solid basic IPA - very drinkable.

05-07-2011 12:48:18 | More by CliffBrake
Schmittymack

Colorado

Served on tap into a pint shaker glass. Poured an orangeish/amberish color with a nice foamy 1/4 inch head that quickly disapated. Nice lacing, however. Aromas of malt, hops, and pine. Taste was bitter hops, malt, some pine, and some citrus. Overall, this is not my fav. I tend to like my IPAs more balanced; this one is the west coast hops in your face. Not bad but...

05-06-2011 08:03:18 | More by Schmittymack
minterro

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

A: mid-range orange colored beer, with a yellow orb glowing forbearingly from the bottom. Rising from the yellow floor are chins of bubbles crawling to the surface. Eventually, these bubbles reach a fluffy white head that leaves an excellent display of lacing... like layers of rock on the side of a cliff.

S: STRONG STRONG piney hoppy aroma. The bitter crispness of this beer sends shivers down your spine and makes your skin goose bump. I can’t recall a more aromatic beer. It reeks... in a good way.

T: Upon the first gulp, it literally feels like your drinking a big ol' bit of a pine tree (it is that intense). Some where in the middle you can really feel the lemon/citrus tones kick in. The “harsh” taste the alcohol is felt in the after-taste. Finishes pleasantly dry, but not over the top.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation. It possesses creamy and tingly mouth-feel. This beer is quite easy/enjoyable to drink.

O: Even being a big fan of IPA and drinking them all the time, this beer blew my mind! I don’t know WHO told me that this was bad or maybe I dreamt it (the reason I waited so long to try it). But if I remember, I will never trust their beer taste again. As an end of finals celebration I always get a nice 6-pack or two, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I would recommend this beer to anyone… HANDS DOWN one of my favorite IPA!

05-06-2011 05:28:39 | More by minterro
Duff27

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

A- Immediate one inch head in a tulip. Head is thick and frothy. The beer itself is a cloudy light orange with very fine suspended sediment. Excellent lacing and head retention.

S- Huge citrus nose.

T- More bitterness than your average IPA. Balanced pine and citrus flavors. Lemony aftertaste. No real boozyness.

M- Somewhat watery actually.

D/O- Not my favorite IPA, would place it in the top of the second tier. An enjoyable experience for certain though. Thanks PTMcB.

05-06-2011 02:36:32 | More by Duff27
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm gradually working my way through the ranks of Stone's offerings. So far, so good - to date, it's my favorite all-around brewery. Here we have something I've had in the past, before I started reviewing, and that I'm glad to be trying again: the classic IPA. Last time I had it, I was impressed. Let's see how it stands today:

A: The body is a deep honey gold, rich and shining. Its head is thin and white; it's pretty sticky, leaving lacing all around. What really stands out, though is the carbonation. Bubbles float consistently to the top of the body, but not like other pale ales I've had; this is a constant super-stream of rising fizz. I like it.

S: There's a big hop aroma; tons of orange and pine notes. It has a very fresh feel.

T: Very refreshing! Hops are superbly crisp, showing off minty, citrusy, and natural flavors. There's a great chewy wheat in there, making the earthiness even more distinct and complex. An unsurprisingly dry finish leaves you wanting more after each drink.

M: I love this aspect about Stone brews. There's enough carb to excite the palate, but not enough to make it prickly and less drinkable.

O: This is refreshing, flavorful, and satisfying - which is great for an IPA. And, with summer just starting, I have the feeling I'll be stocking these $5 bombers deep. Great bang for your buck!

05-06-2011 01:16:02 | More by BarryMFBurton
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

I've actually had this once before—it was a grey import to Australia, however, so I thought it would be better to review it fresh, close to the source, as Greg Koch intended. This one was purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA. Let's see how it matches up.

Pours a hazed and bright pale golden-orange colour, with a full and frothy head of meringuey foam. Lacing is sudsy, but quite pleasant. Body is relatively heavy—weirder is the fact that there's very little carbonation noticeable when tilted, or when the beer is static. I'm interested to see how the mouthfeel relates.

Nose is crisp and pleasant, with very classic citrussy hop characters dominant. Sharp and fresh for the most part with a crushed lemon leaf type of pungency. In some respects, it's a little one-dimensional, but it's rather unapologetic about what it's doing, and you have to respect that.

Taste is crisp and light, with a nicely balanced, but not dominant hop character through the centre of the palate. Moderate feel gives off some mild light malt notes that meld with the citrus to give a honey-and-lemon melange. All over, nicely balanced—not overly complex, overly aggressive or assertive.

This is a good IPA, and a good benchmark against which to measure others. I'm pleased to say that I would have said similar things about either version I've had, whether in California, or grey-imported to places it wouldn't have been seen otherwise.

Yes, this is a good beer. And so was the one I had in Australia.

05-05-2011 01:43:51 | More by lacqueredmouse
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.