Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
colts9016

Idaho

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degree.

Appearance: A nice golden yellow color. There is a one finger head that is ivory and foamy. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear. There is some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A nice grapefruit and floral aromas. There is the malt with a touch of sweetness.

Taste: A very nice rich grapefruit and floral notes. There is a very nice malt backbone with just a touch of sweetness.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated and slightly astringent. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is bitter, but in a good way. I am big fan of Stone Brewing they have never let me done so far. This a very round well bodied IPA with great flavor. This the way an IPA should taste.

04-12-2009 02:14:50 | More by colts9016
Buschyfor3

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bomber poured into a New Albanian Brewing Company pint glass.

A: burnt, glorious orangy hue topped with a thin, bubbly white head about 1 finger thick that quickly dissipated. Rings of lacing appear on the side of the glass like notches as I slowly take on this IPA.

S: Good lord! A powerful floral aroma from hops; strong hints of pine; tangy, citrusy notes. This beer smells like it is about to wreck hoppy, spicy devastation on your tastebuds. I might be in trouble as this is my first real IPA!

T: Wowza!!!! Hoppy bitterness up front and I love it! Zesty, tangy citrus and pine flavors take hold of my tastebuds. After sitting and letting the flavors settle on my palate for a few minutes, I'm convinced that I just drank a gin and juice. The finish is dry, kind of reminiscent of a white wine. This beer is big, sharp, tangy and bitter yet totally quenches whatever thirst I thought I had.

M: The carbonation induces a prickly sensation on my tongue. Yet as I swirl this beer in my mouth, I can't help but notice that it reveals a slightly creamy, slightly syrupy texture.

D: Damnation! This is a great tasting IPA, but at 6.9% ABV, only one bomber and I'm good to go because the alcohol grips you from the start (or at least I assume that is what is causing the warming feeling that is welling up from within). The only reason I dropped the drinkability on this beer is simply because of its effect on your tastebuds - I couldnt taste anything else but hops and pine for the rest of the night. That being said, I would probably only drink one, just to ensure that I could enjoy other beers, and I would have to drink this beer last to keep it from drowning out my tastebuds from giving other beers an objective "taste-drive." Haha.

I've only really tried one other IPA (it was a Goose Island, and I polished off half of a bottle that a friend opened but disliked, and I really didn't think much about it other than I'll be damned to let a craft beer go to waste). This Stone IPA blew that only experience clear out of the water! This beer has opened me up to IPAs for sure and I will seek out this beer again, as well as Stone's Ruination because of this good first impression.

04-11-2009 23:29:58 | More by Buschyfor3
Birmingham

Kansas

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Aroma: I can smell the pine trees in this beer. There are hints of grassy and maybe some citrus notes.

Appearance: It's clear, medium gold with a tall white head. The head crashed quickly leaving thick lacing in the glass (gorgeous).

Flavor: It's a hop forward taste. The initial bitter bite carries through the tasting experience. I can taste the malt, but the flavor is balanced towards the hops.

Mouth feel: It has a medium body

Overall Impression: This is definitely an IPA; the hops smack me in the taste buds. I was surprised aroma was not stronger (the hops seem muted) until I looked at the "Enjoy By" date and it read 03/31/09. This was a bit surprising as I purchased the beer in mid-March (09). I guessing the hop aroma diminished over time. Even being old, I am still enjoying the beer.

04-08-2009 02:32:53 | More by Birmingham
wesbrownyeah

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Stone IPA 12oz. bottle.

A- Pours a nice burnt orange with hues of hops and nice half inch head. Head quickly dies down but lace retention is very thick. Note that the beginning head is still stuck to the top of glass half way though this brew.

S- Is a nice relaxing scent of grassy, floral, and earthy notes hit my nose first. This is followed by a light malty kick.

T- The taste is what makes this one a excellent session beer. Mild hop bitterness at first that smooths out at the end to a refreshing perfectly balanced finsh.

M-D- Very easy on the taste buds not one sign of anything that would offend my buds! Extra smooth finishing make this one of my choice beer to consume alot of.

Note: At 11.59 a six pack here in jax Florida its not the cheapest though.

04-07-2009 18:33:19 | More by wesbrownyeah
greenjeff4141

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a nice rich gold with not much head but good lacing. The smell is like being in a field of hops.

I took my first sip-- smooth as silk. Giant hop flavor, very mellow, and great balance. Not too bitter but tons of hops. Unnaturally easy to drink. Hands down my favorite IPA to date. If you don't like hops try a different brew.

04-07-2009 01:25:45 | More by greenjeff4141
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Stone IPA pours golden orangish color with a nice sized cream head. It has a pungent hop aroma with a bit of sweet malt. It has a very herbal, piney hop flavor. There is some citrus flavor in there as well. It rocks. Has a very crisp, refreshing medium mouth feel to it and it is pretty drinkable, although very high in abv for a single IPA. I would almost put it in the DIPA range if not for the brewery already having a different brew in that category.

04-07-2009 00:59:09 | More by BeenJammin
projectflam86

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours beautiful orange color with a thick foam head that leaves nice lacing.

S- Strong hoppy nose with floral and fruity ester scents.

T- Hops come crashing through with the initial taste. Citrus flavors add to the complexity along with a bit of spice and little bit of pine flavor. There is some malt in the backbone to balance the hop bitterness.

M- Big and smooth. This one has some bite!

D- Wonderful all around brew. Lots of big hop flavor for the hopheads but it is balanced well with the malt and citrus flavors.

04-07-2009 00:45:24 | More by projectflam86
aristeros

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Two fingers of thick off-white head lingered and left thick lacing that followed the beer down the glass. Yellow, visible carbonation, can see right through the other side.

Tons of hops in the nose, some malts, some bitter citrus. Not overpowering.

Bracing pine hops, resins, and maybe a little biscuit, especially on the back end. Moderate carbonation impacts the mouthfeel, and hampers the otherwise good drinkability just a little.

Bitter fruit rinds linger, so you'll definitely want to cleanse your palate if this isn't the last beer you're drinking. Great pale ale, and I'm resisting the urge to go and get more of it right now.

04-05-2009 13:43:41 | More by aristeros
Nowhereman529

A: Poured a nice golden color into the glass with very little in the way of head. Looks nice and crisp, not a bit of haziness.

S: Smell is nice, sweet hops, maybe a little pine thrown in for good measure.

T: Taste is straight up IPA, no frills, no punches. There's a nice amount of hops, but not overly hopped with just a bit of grapefruit tartness thrown in at the end.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Carbonation level is good.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. I could probably drink a couple of these on a summer afternoon. It's just plain good.

04-05-2009 01:45:18 | More by Nowhereman529
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a bomber.

Pours a hazy golden color with a slight orange tinge, ample head that fades at a decent enough rate and leaves some good patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell is hoppy but not overly so, decent malt backbone.

Taste has a nice balance between hops and the malt, not overly hoppy as to "ruin" your taste buds but enough to please, easy to drink, above average for an IPA although nothing truly stands out.

04-04-2009 22:24:29 | More by deltatauhobbit
Spikester

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Cloudy amber with a huge three finger head and good amount of lacings. Aroma is big bready and citrus hops. Taste is big citrus hops, grapefruit rind, some pine and resins. Malts are there but definately bringing up the rear. Mouthfeel is good very crisp, but slightly excessive carbonation. I may have served this a bit too cold. Overall an impressive IPA and just what I look for in a modern West Coast version. Drink 'em fresh for best results.
Just had an old version and had to add these comments:
Enjoy by date was July 4, 2013. so this is Oct. 17, 2013.
Piney resins have assumed control of this beer. No citrus left at this point. A slight amount of malts remain and the beer is cloudy. Head was minimal but fair amount of lacing survives.
So the moral of this story is drink fresh!

04-04-2009 05:44:34 | More by Spikester
TheTrevor

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer poured a cloudy copper color with orange highlights and a fluffy single-finger head. The smell is all different kinds of hops, it's herbal, floral, citrusy, and spicy along with a little bready malt. The taste starts off with some spicy hops that give way to some citrusy hops that give way to some piney hops that fade away into a surprisingly clean finish. The whole time there's also a sweet malt backbone that helps balance out the hops without overshadowing them. The mouthfeel has a little bit of thickness and and just the right amount of carbonation. One of the big surprises for me is how drinkable this beer is. Even though it's definitely hoppy I couldn't imagine holding on to a six-pack of this brew for more than an afternoon. A fantastic beer, a must try for anyone on this site.

04-03-2009 00:56:24 | More by TheTrevor
berserker256

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

I'm pouring my bottle into a tall pilsner glass. (I need new glassware) This beer's got a bright orange/gold color and is quite transparent. Good and thick big-bubbled also. It smells awesome. Definitely hoppy but nicely mixed with a fruity paring and possibly a bit of bready. A little citrusy and spicey. An excellent combination of aromas. I don't think it can be improved upon. Heavy hop and pine flavor with a touch of sour. Not too much sour to be unpleasant, however. Contrasts of sweet fruit, bitter hops, grapefruit, pine, and malt all exist in the flavor to create a pretty damn good beer. Medium body, a little creamy, and a joy to sip down. Pine cone aftertaste... But that's expected with the style. This is one of the better IPAs out there.

04-02-2009 18:09:25 | More by berserker256
youngblood

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a soft amber with very sticky white head that shrinks into beautiful lacework on the glass. Hop oils aboud in the nose, very nice florals especially. Could sniff this all day. This is a well balanced IPA featuring a gentle malt profile with bits of toffee and caramel. Leaves a nice citrusy after taste as the hop oil does it's work. Bit of pineapple maybe? Very easy mouthfeel and low ABV make this an excellent session beer. I want another now.

04-02-2009 14:13:14 | More by youngblood
Docer

Washington

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Grabbed a bomber at QFC. Poured into a tumbler glass... at an angle as I always do.

- Great mildly cloudy amber color... thin white head that dissipated quickly to a nice haze of lace. Just what a west coast IPA should look like.

- Nice crisp scent.. like fresh floral hops w/ a touch of pine, and a smooth n' sweet caramel malt profile.. smells balanced and smooth.. can't wait.. ok..

- Wonderful hop profile.. slightly bitter, cool n' crisp.. rather dry.. bit of pine.. some great citrus hiding in there.

- Slightly chewy.. but not so thick n' malty.. bitter, dry finish.. makes me wonder what a Stone ESB would be like :P

- Very drinkable.. bit bubbly.. not so much strength in flavor, hides it well. Session? Possibly on a night where I wouldn't have to get up early the next morning :-)

04-02-2009 04:44:38 | More by Docer
johnd513

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer pours a nice honey color with a nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. The smell is very clean upfront with grapefruit and other citrus flavors. The smell is not upfront and in your face which is neither good or bad. The taste is much more agressive than the smell with big grapefruit and other citrus flavors. The mouthfeel is a tad thin for my likening but this beer is just so smooth and easy to drink that I hardly notice. I think I am simply comparing to other Midwest/east coast IPA's like hopslam or dogfish head that have that syrupy quality that I enjoy. Overall this is an exellent IPA that belongs to my long list of favoite IPA's. A must try.

04-01-2009 21:18:11 | More by johnd513
iuhoosier336

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

What a great IPA. Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass. The color is a light yellow, good head that remains, two fingers.

The smell is of hops and of slight citrus. The taste is earthy and very hoppy. Then the malt followed by the citrus. The hops in this one taste great. Good carbonation.

This is one great IPA and is it ever drinkable. A six could be gone by the end of the night easily but then I'd be unhappy without my Stones.

04-01-2009 03:41:13 | More by iuhoosier336
Beernoisseur

Utah

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Ah, the infamous Stone IPA. Long have I heard tell of its brooding and arrogant majesty.

But here it is, looking back at me from the other side of my pilsner glass. It looks fairly peaceful, perhaps even tranquil, with its constant streams of tiny bubbles continually supporting the pillowy head.

Today is my day.

Ok seriously, sorry about the fanfare. It's just that, being from Utah, there are many difficult-to-acquire beers that gain something of a legendary status (to me anyway). 90% of breweries don't ship here.

This looks like a pretty damn good beer. The color of fresh honey, with a towering off-white head, I hope these are just indicators of the goodness yet to come.

The smell is very fresh, and very tart. Outdoorsy, with pine and earthy elements. The hops are very present in the nose.

The flavor is a tad more subdued than I was expecting. The hops don't come right out and attack you like a pack of angry dogs. For some reason, the reputation of this beer, brewery of origin, and the design on the bottle all suggested that it would. however, it is certainly a world class IPA. One of the things I love about Stone is that they could give a damn about pleasing anyone but themselves. They don't make beers to win medals. They make beers that beer lovers will appreciate. Besides, who needs medals when you've got a fucking gargoyle on your label?

This beer is excellent. Now that my glass has had a chance to stretch its limbs, and warm up a bit, the malt is coming out a bit more. Some gently fruitiness is present around the edges. light sweetness accompanies. However, the hops and their characteristics are the captain of this vessel. Pine, grapefruit, and maybe a touch of herbal abound playfully, but not chaotically.

Mouthfeel is very good, the carbonation has maintained itself very well. Drinkability is spectacular. I would love to drink this again. and again.

and again...

03-31-2009 01:17:12 | More by Beernoisseur
jettjon

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date, into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). Slightly hazed pale orange color with plenty of carbonation from my SA glass. Nice thick two-finger cap of white-tan head fades slowly leaving a thick cap and ring. Nose evinces plenty of hops and citrus with a good bit of sweet fruit/malt in the background. On the tongue, the hops are certainly there but not overwhelming. Crisp and tart citrus hops with a bit of breadiness. Not a whole lot of sweetness, but the bitterness isn't overwhelming or sharp. Mid- to low viscosity; it's wet and even quenching in the mouth, again not sharp and biting. Creamy carbonation lends a soft and enjoyable feel. Maybe I'm jaded but I don't consider this to be much of a hop bomb; more of a fairly hoppy American style IPA. Drinkability is good even with 6.9% ABV. Alcohol is very well masked with only a slight burn toward the end serving as a warning.

Overall: A very good IPA, perhaps bordering on a "double" or "extreme" IPA. This one seems to be on the far end of the IPA spectrum, but taken in and of itself, is quite good. Recommended.

03-30-2009 22:36:07 | More by jettjon
jacobseyb

Alabama

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

A=Nice honey colored appearance with healthy head when poured. Slight cloudiness noticed. Fine bubbles with sticky characteristics

S=Enjoyable smell, nothing extremely noticable, though it builds anticipation well

T=Great taste, slight bitterness detected though still thoroughly enjoyable.

M=Interesting mouthfeel considerable carbonation with tight bubble texture on tongue.

D=Thoroughly enjoyable and extremely drinkable, easily could have had several more.

Overall- Feel as if it lived up to expectation.

03-29-2009 02:14:57 | More by jacobseyb
KenC411

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I heard tell of an urban legend. A beer so great that all bowed before its mighty taste. After ten reviews, I have finally decided to try some its glory for my self.

Appearance: Honey colored with a powerful two finger head that refuses to quit. Very few bubbles can be seen through the glass. With drinking, a thick lace forms on the side of the glass coating it.

Smell: Enormous citrus smell, like a mix of grapefruit and orange. A bit of buttery notes in the background. Unfortunately, the beer happens to remind me of the dish soap that I use, although I never have used soap in this glass. Though I do not think of it as the fault of the beer, but more of an unfortunate coincidence.

Taste: Amazingly complex. Initially it is sweet like honey, then the citrus taste bites in the back of the mouth. You can taste the alcohol a bit, though it is not off putting.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a proper amount of bubbles. The flavor dances around the tongue without forcing you to swallow.

Drinkability: A great beer. Blends honey and citrus in a creamy warming beer. One bottle is enough for me with the higher alcohol content and massive bottle.

03-28-2009 05:31:59 | More by KenC411
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

A: THe beer is poured a cloudy golden colour and a nice finger's width of off white head.

S: The smell is filled with citrus hops and floral notes

T: The beer is slightly bitter with a huge citrusy/fruity flavour. The floral hops come through in the back with a slight bit of bready malts. This is pretty fucking good.

M: Medium mouth feel and good carbonation

D: I could take down a sixer of this quite easily!

03-27-2009 03:44:10 | More by swizzlenuts
grayburn

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another example of a wonderfully-hopped brew by stone. These guys have the hop profile down.
Pours a light amber into the pint with a nice big head and some good lacing.
Smells of pine and citrus, a great american hopbomb.
The taste is the same, only more, the hops build upon eachother very well atop a nice malt backbone, I am quite impressed by this beer, no surprise anymore as far as stone is concerned.
The mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer are both quite high. Very bitter, oily, just enough carbonation to wash it all away. Excellent beer.

03-24-2009 22:47:17 | More by grayburn
FishGetter

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served at cellar temperature in a SA glass. Pale yellow with slight orange hue. Restless head from an agressive pour.
Sweet maltiness with an even amout of hop resins fill the nose. Slight fruitie esters can be detected also.
Refreshing hop flavor that's clean and crisp! Great ballance of malt to keep the hop bite in check. Slight breadiness to finish.
Medium body, heavier than what I expected, however did't take away from drink.
This one's a Keepa!. A must have on hand! Do yourself a favor and get a couple sixers at once.

03-22-2009 23:39:32 | More by FishGetter
alovesupreme

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

A white head sits with great retention and leaves sticky rings around the corners of the glass.
Hop bomb. This is a piney IPA with a good amount of citrus.
Once again Pine levels are extremely high for a normal IPA, with a splash of citrus such as grapefruit. A bitter hop finish that sits on the tongue for a long time.
A full bodied IPA thats resinous and a little sticky and clean at the same time. This beer is very bitter to my palate and although I enjoyed it could not drink to much of this beer.A fantastic example of an American IPA.

03-22-2009 16:16:17 | More by alovesupreme
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.