Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Pours a nice golden orange with a solid 2 finger head that stuck around a little while. Nice lacing on the glass.

Nice floral, citrus aroma.

Big grapefruit, piney flavor. Nice bitter, slightly dry finish. Really nice taste.

Good medium mouthfeel, well carbonated.

Overall a really solid IPA. Very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap @ pj's dwnngtwn,pa ...now i'm somewhat new to the craft beer scene and i also work within 2 minutes of victory brewing (oh yes constantly filling growlers there) but i must say this was exceptional.

orange,spice,lemon and grapefruit that perfectly complements the hops and subtle alcohol warmth.

i could drink this all day, every day and would have huge stupid grin on my face !

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, best consumed by October 4 of 2011, into a Blue Star Brewery Pint Glass.

Appearance

The color is roughly a mix between a shade of Fulvous and also a shade of Goldenrod. The color is kinda remarkable on how beautiful it is. It poured a one fingered head and most of it left quite quickly. The carbonation is mild and rises to the head and it creates almost a swirl like head.

Smell

The smell is pretty mild. It has a slight malt with mostly a nice hoppy floral smell to it.

Taste

The taste is strong floral citrus taste. The taste is just almost too much. The taste just punched me in the face and the aftertaste kicked me while I was down. The bitter-like pine is amazing and the malts make this beer a delicious tree and this is how nature should taste. The bitterness stays on the tongue and even just looking at this drink I could feel it on my taste buds.

Mouthfeel

The mouthful is light and the carbonation is pretty mild. A lacing is pretty present on the tongue, but I feel like it doesn't coat the whole mouth. I guess a drink doesn't need to coat the whole mouth to make it's impact though.

Overall

This IPA is just like heaven in my opinion. Maybe it's because I love the taste of trees that this does so much for me. I could easily say that this is the best tasting IPA I've ever had, but there are still so much I need to taste.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Golden straw (hazy) in color. It had a big fluffy white head that dissipated slowly and left lacing on the glass. Very strong aroma of grapefruit and floral hops. First, I tasted some caramel and sweet malts. When it hit the back of my mouth, the bitterness of the citrus hops kicked in a big way. Alcohol taste was not noticeable. It finishes dry with bread-like malts and resiny hop bitterness. Light to medium in body. It had medium carbonation and a nice effervescent mouth feel.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Sometimes I think the west coasters are crazy. Silly amounts of suds on the pour, leaves a bubble bath all over the snifter as I drink.

The intense pine/grapefruit nose and flavor are what I've come to expect from West Coast manifestations of IPA, especially from Stone. Peach and mango became so clear to me in a second serving! It's definitely not old world! Good lord, this stuff is insanely drinkable too. One could get into a lot of trouble. Nice full body and only a slight lingering grapefruit peel/bitterness. I could session this gargoyle!!!

Okay, not really "session" . . . that would be a very bad idea, at 6.9% and not really being a session beer in the slightest, no, I wouldn't . . . but still could drink a few without blowing out the old palate!

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

What can I say? It's an American IPA. It's hoppy, it's bitter, it's bubbly, it's delicious. Having grown up in an area where beer lovers worship Sierra Nevada, I can say with a lot of confidence that no amount of hoppiness can faze me anymore.

The smell right out of the bottle is pretty overpowering, but if you like hops (even if you don't just do your best to get over the smell) you should be able to get the first taste down pretty easily.

It's very smooth, lightly carbonated, not nearly as carbonated as most Sierra products I've had, and easy to put away.

Overall it's a very standard IPA. There isn't a whole lot I can say about it to wow you into going and buying it, but I will say it's very drinkable and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a new IPA to try.

2.58/5  rDev -38.9%

Served on draught into a generic beer glass at The Lab in Los Angeles (by USC). Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice soft cream, fair thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a hazy light gold.

Sm: Light floral and banana notes, some bubblegum, and orange peel. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Admixtures of the notes on the nose form a bad balance. Structurally, it's problematic, with no satisfying climax. Poorly built and balanced.

Mf: Sharp, coarse, and wet. Terrible. Doesn't suit the body at all. A classic example of the problem with IPAs.

Dr: I was disappointed having heard such great things about Stone Brewing. I paid 5 USD in LA, which isn't terrible, but I won't be having this one again.

---
12/05/13: It's been over 2 years since I sat down with this beer, and I figured I'd add some truncated notes since my palate's probably developed.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Castle Rock, CO. Reviewed live. Enjoy by: 12/24/13.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show.

Pours a 3 finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy. Okay creaminess. Decent thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of above avg vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent.

Standard fare for an IPA overall. Not unique or special.

Sm: Plenty of generic floral hop character. Pale malts. A hint of grapefruit. Pine. Some mango. Maybe even passionfruit. Fairly grassy. Plenty of hop bitterness is detectable, and the malts seem inadequate to balance it. I'm really concerned about the balance. There's maybe a brief hint of crackery malts.

A clean aroma - no yeast character or alcohol presence is noticeable.

T: Hop character: primarily floral, with some lighter notes of pine, mango fruit, grapefruit, and some tropical fruit. The pine is nice I guess. As it warms, I pick up a stale orange juice note - one of the off-notes that indicates a subpar IPA.

Pale malts. Maybe some caramalt.

The hop bitterness overwhelms what little malty sweetness there is, resulting in an annoying imbalance. I do like some of the fruity notes here. It has a loose cohesion, but feels a bit thrown together. Too bitter on the finish. Not gestalt, unique, special, nuanced, intricate, complex, or subtle. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, wet, rough, unrefreshing, and overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile okay. Doesn't seem at all custom-tailored to the taste.

Dr: Downable but problematic. Stone, as usual, displays little awareness of balance with this beer. I won't be buying it again, nor would I recommend it to friends. I remain shocked by this beer's high ratings. It's by no means world-class, or even above average. I stand by my initial rating.

C-

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer pours a beautiful golden color. Not clear, but quite delicious looking.

This isn't even exceptionally fresh, as it says enjoy by 9/26/11, but I got it from the only place that sells it in six packs around me. Not even considering that, it smells and tastes delicious.

Citrus and piney hops are quite fragrant. No malt to speak of.

The taste backs that up, it almost doesn't live up to the smell but the citrus flavor gives it a mouthwatering juiciness that keeps you wanting more. Goes down very easily.

The mouthfeel is quite smooth. I've had a IPAs that have a better mouthfeel, which kept me from giving it a perfect score. But it is still very good.

Overall, definitely try this if you can. A solid IPA.

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a generous white head with great retention. Lots of lacing down the glass makes for a pleasing visual experience. The smell is out-of-this-world good. Loads of citrus hops hit the nose with a wallop. The taste is all hops. Delicious grapefruit flavor with touch of pine. Plenty of bitterness makes this a hop-head's dream, and not for the faint-of-tongue. If there was ever a beer deserving of being called exceptional, this is it.

Good brew here, this poured out as a nice looking copper color with a white thick head on top. The smell of this brew gives off a good blend of malts and hops, the hops are strong on the nose like they should be. The taste is really nice here, just a really drinkable IPA. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and has a good carbonation to it. Overall, it's a beer that you can have multiple of in a sitting if you want too.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Schooners Patio Grille in Santa Clarita, CA.

Pours a murky copper color with a 1 inch puffy white head that fades to an island of foam sitting on the top of the beer. Thin foamy rings of lace mark the drink down on the sides of the glass. Smell is of pungent pine and herbal hops and a slight malt aroma. Taste is of the pine and herbal hops up front with a malt backbone coming through on the finish. A medium level of bitterness sticks to the palate after each sip. This beer has a good carbonation level making for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good hop-forward IPA from Stone (what do you expect, right?). I have had this one in the bottle but I prefer this one on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Best by 11/30/11. Tulip glass.

Pours a clear, golden copper color with a smallish cap of off white head, some lacing and decent retention. Smells wonderfully floral with some orange rind and some grassy notes, maybe some pineapple and tropical fruit. Taste is nicely balanced floral and pine, finishing mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is very soft carbonation, mediumish, on a medium-light body. Overall, an excellent choice for an everyday IPA. Very drinkable and great flavor, packing a lot of hops.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a bottle of Stone IPA to enjoy while watching baseball tonight.

What a treat this was. I've heard a lot about Stone IPA but finally got around to trying it.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, poured with a solid two finger amount of head.

Smell and Taste: Apricots, Grapefruit and other citrus smells. I also catch a little bit of pine too. The taste is amazing, not too harsh for an IPA, an extremely smooth IPA. I might have found another go to IPA to go with Racer 5 and Huma.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

What can I not say about this super Ale!

The pour was a vivid golden tan, almost like a faint sunburst orange. The small but full white head stood atop of this brew. Once I put my nose into the glass, I was in hop heaven! The hop aroma came out so very bold, you could almost anticipate the bitterness.
Yet, at first sip, the bitterness was well balance with a full body, a little citrus, perhaps orange .
Each time I put my nose into the glass all that comes out is HOPS, HOPS and more HOPS. Yet the actual taste is so easy. The finish is actually very smooth and lingering. Some where down the pour, I also detected some very rip pears.
Another great one for the Gargoyle

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Been a while since I reviewed and a few days since I have had a good beer so I was happy to find this at the grocery late tonight. Tons of reviews for this one so I'll keep it short.

Huge, foamy, off white head of 2 1/2 inches that lasts forever but eventually disipates to a small island of foam. Lacing is alright but random and viscous. Crystal clear medium yellow with an ever so slight orange tint.

Not a whole lot going on with the smell. Some tropical aromas and a bit of pine but mot much there. Taste is mostly bitterness with a good apricot and citrus finish.Light bodied, high bitterness and medium carbonation with small bubbles gives this one a velvety mouthfeel, making it very drinkable but a bit odd.

I've had this several times and had varying experiences, the best being from a solo cup on a 100 degree day, seemed to bring out more juicy, resiny hop flavors, still a solid IPA that I'm grateful to have easy access to.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Trying to review a beer a day now.

A: Gold/orange with a frothy two finger head (two of my fingers that is) super tight head, nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Subdued citrus and a little pine, not too much there.

T: Citrus fruit flavors, almost reminiscent of fruit loops because I get a nice hint of grain at the end. No hints of alcohol. I'm surprised that these higher abv IPAs hide the alcohol so well.

M: A little thin for me, not bad though in fact good just not exceptional. Light carbonation.

O: Another solid beer from Stone, I'm continuously impressed by them. Worth the money to try.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at Stone Brewery in Escondido, CA.

A: Poured a translucent, golden color with a good inch of thick, creamy head atop that seems to last forever and leaves plenty of lacing around the glass as you drink. Carbonation levels are great.

S: The aroma smacks of fresh citrus and pine hops with a little bit of grass. Pretty one-sided, but enticing.

T: Taste follows the nose: entirely hop-centric, sure to please hop-heads and those familiar with West Coast IPA's, but also some barley present, though not as predominantly as in the pale ale. I could use a bit more balance. A bit piney for me as well, but better on tap than in the bottle.

M: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy mouthfeel with ample carbonation and a bit of substance. Very drinkable.

O: Exactly what was to be expected, this is the flagship American West Coast IPA and the one that all others will be judged on. That said, I prefer a bit more balance in my IPA's as well as the more grapefruit, citrus oriented hops, but I would never turn one of these down. Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is the best IPA in a bottle that I have tasted so far. It is very hoppy, simply delicious. I am happy to report that now it is available at Costcos for $25.99 a case (at least in the Torrance, CA Costco.) Bought 2 cases and now I'm happy.(9-10-2011)

4.43/5  rDev +5%

On-tap the keg had just kicked so I got a fresh glass from a new keg

Look: Golden yellow with some traces of orange through out. Nice 1 inch head and good retention and perfect circles of lacing

Smell: Honestly not much besides the pine and citrus hops

Taste: Does follow the nose upfront is the nice pine notes that we all are familiar with from stone and it finishes with some nice grapefruit and other citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Low to medium body with high carbonation and a bit dry on the finish

Overall: Just a damn good IPA

4.43/5  rDev +5%

There's not a whole lot that I can add to the reviews already given for this brew. This is one of those ipas that has become a benchmark for other beers to follow. It has all the trademark highlights that craft beer drinkers look for in a great ipa. Great nose. Wonderful hoppy taste and extremely drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Clear orange/amber color with two fingers of dense white foam. Head sticks around for awhile. Great lacing.

S- Aromas of pine and citrus dominate. Not much malt presence in the nose.

T- Bitter pine, backed up by some floral and citrus notes. Orange and tangerine mostly. Malt presence is largely absent making for a pretty bitter experience here. Finish is semi-dry with a lingering bitter aftertaste.

M- Mouthfeel is medium with a nice level of carbonation. ABV is largely hidden by the flavor profile.

O- A nice example of a West Coast IPA. A bit one dimensional but that's ok. It's bitter, piney nature makes for a crisp, clean, refreshing brew.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally! A fresh 6 pack of Stone IPA out east, tends to always be outdated or close to it when I check....

A: This is a beautiful looking IPA. Huge frothy thick head, tons of lacing, beer holds nice head as it goes down. Murky golden yellow.

S: Fruity hops, a touch of tropical fruit, a bit of oakiness , tons of pine and a overall sweetness.

T: Bone dry, extremely puckering bitterness, dry bitterness coats the back of throat. This is an extremely clean and minimalist sort of IPA, not a ton going on, but everything happens in the right way, the way the flavor cadences and the overall feel of drinking this is awesome

M: As mentioned above, dry , but with a perfect creamy and invigorating mouthfeel.

O: This beer is the antithesis of a pretentious beer. The simplicity and purposeful confidence of this beer is inspiring. If you see this fresh, it's a can't miss .

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Notes and descriptions typed in real time!

On draught, poured into a shaker style glass. Pour is about a finger’s worth short of a pint, even with the head. I know from experience that’s a way bars can extend the life of their kegs. Sneaky!

Straw/golden color, clean and clear, with tiny bubbles rising up and releasing all sorts of floral, delicate hoppy aromas. Yum! This is a beer to inhale at your leisure.

Of course you can drink it, which is what I prefer. The beer dances on the palate. There’s a definite hop bite to it, with a clean, sharp finish. Great carbonation. A little maltiness to balance the sting. More floral than piney hops, although I get a sense they’re in there too. (Again, I need to work on my hop education.) A standard bearer, and not just limited to the west coast obviously. Yum. I really enjoy this beer.

12oz bottle into tulip snifter
enjoy by date: 10/09/11

Pours a hazy golden orange with a frothy off white head.

The nose is of juicy grapefruit citrus. Pretty basic, but very enjoyable.

The taste follows the nose, a standard grapefruit hop presence, with a slight pine finish.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, with fairly active carbonation.

A very nice IPA, having finally tried this one I can see why it is considered such a staple by many.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Keg "Fresh Until 11-26-2011" (meaning it was kegged about a week and a half ago... very fresh!), picked up at Vecenie distributing, and tapped 2 days ago for the first Saturday of College Football.

A: Pours a very light golden hue with a thick frothy (slightly over-carbonated) white head on top.

S: Big nose of grapefruit and pine. Pungent and semi-sweet. Fresh IPA is the best!

T: Initially light with a touch of creaminess in the moth, before a wave of malt sweetness crashes in, followed closely behind by an even bigger wave of citric and bittering hops. It's a simple beer. A "classic American IPA". Bitter-sweet. Lots and lots of lots-and-lots. Big bold flavors of bitter and sweet compete to be king here. Ultimately, the hops win out, as this beer finishes delightfully bitter and bold.

M: Light and bubbly, this beer finishes starkly bitter and coats the tongue with all sorts sticky hop residue.

D/O: Very drinkable. I'm thoroughly enjoying this beer. Fresh IPA is tough to beat!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.