Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
nsmartell

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

From a 12-oz bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice gold color with a decent off-white head that sticks around for awhile.

Smell: Strong citrus and pine.

Taste: Citrus and pines again. Nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied oily feel.

Drinkability: Pretty solid IPA. With all of the excitement of this beer coming to Milwaukee, I was expecting a little bit more, but I would definitely seek out again.

08-07-2008 03:06:13 | More by nsmartell
PatronWizard

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

OK, time to try this badboy. Bomber to glass...

Oooohhh....pretty. Golden orange, thick white frothy head. Second best head I ever had (wink, wink). This head wanted to hang out and have a beer with me.

So that's what hops smell like! I'll be sniffing this puppy a lot.

So that's what hops taste like! Sweet bitterness...gotta have more (like hot-wings). Still tastes minutes after a drink.

I got lost in this beer, sipping, gazing out the window, forgetting all about my responsibilities, the damaged roof, the overgrown oleanders, the crying baby, the leaky faucet, and the head is still here whispering sweet somethings...

Man, bombers rule! I'm gonna finish the first glass before the head disappears. Finally I just drank the rest and left the lacy head for the second glassful. Decent level of ABV - this beer walks right up to you and kicks you in the balls - absolutely awesome.

Overall: quite possibly my favorite beer.

08-05-2008 22:32:27 | More by PatronWizard
flipshevanel

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -16.5%

I enjoyed this far more than the Ruination IPA. The appearance was a bit cloudy with a nice light orage/amber color. The aroma had lots of citrus hops with the initial palate being very full. I did not care for the texture being very creamy and oily but the flavor was moderate in all areas with the bitterness not being to overpowering. I also liked how the alcoholic taste did not linger as much as the Ruination.

08-01-2008 04:02:19 | More by flipshevanel
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this one on tap for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and managed to find it again today. I remember the first time I bought a sixer of these (fairly close to when I first started drinking crafts) they totally knocked me on my ass. Now, the beer is great, although certainly not quite as stunning. It's got a solid look, just like an IPA should. Fairly weak lacing on a solid head. Flavor and nose are strong on piney hops, with caramel malt and some toffee and citrus in there too to round things out. This is a highly hoppy beer, no question, bitter and drying, but delicious. Doesn't quite reach the top echelon for me (Two Hearted, Hop Red Rye, etc.), but still a very drinkable and tasty brew.

08-01-2008 01:10:35 | More by soupyman10
Tbn2

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A-Pours a golden yellow with a slight haze to it. A crisp white head rises to the top, dissipates, and leaves moderate lacing.

S-A big blast of citrusy and piney hops. In the background I get a good balance of sweet and pale malts.

T/M-Just like it smells. The hops are in the spotlight. Their flavor starts off more like a fresh pine and then develops more to a citrus flavor. The malts sit in the background and provide a good balance to the beer. The best part is the carbonation. In combination with the hops, it gives the beer a crisp taste.

Overall this is another quality beer from Stone. Enjoy

Cheers...

07-31-2008 02:25:23 | More by Tbn2
bbothen

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass from 22 oz bottle.

Light orange/straw color with a 1 finger soapy/bubbly head. Plenty of sticky lacing.

Big aroma of piney & citrus flowery hops. Tangerine, lime, grapefruit, spruce. Yum.

Tastes like the aroma. Nice hop bitterness. Big pine flavors. Enough malt presence to even things out. Hops dominate though.

Medium bodied. Sticky. Oily. Lingering hop flavor.

Drinkabilty is good. Nice west coast style IPA. Others I enjoy more. But I'd gladly buy & have this again.

07-31-2008 00:13:06 | More by bbothen
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

A- Hazy gold, one finger head.

S- Very sharp citrusy hop aroma.

T- Crisp clean hop bitterness throughout, just enough malty sweetness to bring balance to it all.

M- Quite light, but not watery.

D- Sessionable, at least compared to the ruination.

While this is a really good IPA, there's just something missing for me, or maybe the hype skewed my expectations. Regardless, I'm very happy that Stone made its way to Wisconsin.

07-30-2008 23:13:38 | More by Pauly2X
kinger

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Got a 22 ounce bottle from my favorite store and let it chill for a week. Opened it and poured my first glass. Beautiful dark golden/light amber color with good carbonation and a very nice looking head. Took a big ol' wiff and HOPS!, HOPS!, HOPS!....the hop aromas were jumping out of the glass, so I took a taste and MORE HOPS. Good character for this beer, Stone has a knack of brewing their beers to the maximum potential of the relative styles they make and this IPA delivers. Fresh tasting ale with complex hop flavors that seem to kick you at first but soon come together into one damn good beer.

07-30-2008 14:46:02 | More by kinger
TeddyBG

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Light copper color with 1/2" off-white head that dissipates. Good lacing.

S: Citrus and pine. Cannot pick up the malt.

T: Citrus up front with a hint of malt. Good bitter finish, that is not overwhelming.

M: Thick but not heavy. Very good carbonation.

D: I could have a few of these no problem. The 6.9% ABV is a little high, but I'll step-up to the challenge.

note: Not the best american IPA that I have sampled, but a very good one.

07-29-2008 21:07:41 | More by TeddyBG
Sticket

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

P- a declared 6.9% abv in a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a crystal clear, golden beige color with a modest fluffy amount of white head and good lacing.

S- fruity esters with strong herbal hops.

T- slight background of sweet malts covered with strong herbal hops.

M- smooth, just the right balance of carbonation to move the flavors and oils across the palate creating a wonderful experience.

D- a great beer for hops lovers, a great beer for beer lovers, this one can be enjoyed by all.

07-29-2008 00:02:20 | More by Sticket
UA8

Washington

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Golden straw in color with a ivory white head.

S- Light biscuity malts and yeast with piney hops and a slight citrus scent

T- The palate reads of citrus and pine hops which dominate the experience. malts are secondary yet somewhat there.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

D- A nice consistent Ipa lacks somewhat in the malt category but doesnt hurt the experince all that much.

07-27-2008 20:48:38 | More by UA8
IPAs4lyfe

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Beautiful orange gold with a nice creamy white head, crystal clear appearance, lots of lacing.

S: Hops. Sweet citrus, grapefruity orange rind. Can't wait to taste it.

T: Honey-like malts at first, with a strong hop balance that leaves a delectable juicy, tart and bitter, somewhat dry aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Awesome.

M: Silky smooth, perfect carbonation, no complaints here.

D: If it wasn't for the 7% alchohol content i would be drinking these all night. Superb, really. I was impressed.

07-27-2008 03:31:23 | More by IPAs4lyfe
GodOfBeer

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a nice orange colour with a little creamy head with nice lacing.

Smells delicious, awesome floral hoppy smell, sweet pine and some citrusy fruits.

Very bitter upfront with some citrus and some malt sweetness but mainly hoppy, one of the hoppiest beers i've had, just awesome!

A slightly creamy mouthfeel, a very bitter beer that is suprisingly refreshing and drinkable!

07-26-2008 23:45:20 | More by GodOfBeer
PhxHorn

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at Stone Brewery in Escondido. Color is a medium yellow with a small amount of white foam. Smells of citrus. Tastes of citrus and heavy bitterness, but the taste just isn't all that intense. I've had the stuff on tap before, and it was much better in the past. This time, it didn't do all that much for me.

07-26-2008 07:30:05 | More by PhxHorn
techdiver

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden straw with substantial white head that dissipates slowly.

Nose of piney grapefruit hops, very inviting.

Very smooth and creamy taste. Nice balance for an IPA.

Very drinkable. It's been a while since I had this. Good stuff, don't plan on waiting so long to have it again.

07-26-2008 03:54:07 | More by techdiver
Brianmerrilyn

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Yet another west coast brewery I've seen in the beer stores for some time but passed up for one reason or another. IPA's hurt my stomach to some extent but knew I had to try this one at least once to put on my beer dossier, so I tried out a bomber from the San Diego boys.

A: Poured into Cheers mug to produce an amber/golden color, 3/4 finger frothy white head. Crescent and spotted lacing to put a smile on my face and strong retention.

S: Powerful and pungent citrus of the grapefruit. At first I thought it was the abv stinging my nose hairs until the overall citrus boquet expanded. Pine, and citrus peels of perhaps orange and lemon to add the mix. I really enjoyed the esters from the sweet malts that come in a distant second but keep your neck bending to smell the beer one more time.

T: A measured hop strenght that I am not familiar with but quite happy to drink. The sweet malts along with a cracker foundation at the back end do a masterful job of ensuring the hops don't make the beer to acidic. In addition, a grass/wheat and herb presence comes about just when you thought you had all of the tastes recorded.

M: Medium to thick bordering on chewy with dry and mighty bitter finish.

D: I will pull for this one without reservation. Stone has changed my opinions on IPA's or at least the American style. While the hops were quite strong as advertised on the bottle, the remainder of the receipe was a perfect blend to ensure full enjoyment to the very last drop.

07-22-2008 16:26:16 | More by Brianmerrilyn
TonyT

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

My Benchmark Calli IPA...This was the beer that made me fall in love with hops...Thank you Stone...If I ever make it out to Calli, I will be there...The Crisp finish with the high dryness makes you remember how it tastes the next day...after the gig....

07-22-2008 02:22:24 | More by TonyT
Beefeater57

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Solid gold color, white sudsy head with a lot of lacing.

S: Hops are very noticeable in the smell. A little earthy, but it has a sweet smell that is subtle but really nice.

T: A very complex hop character. The bitterness of the hops comes in layers and builds in the taste. Some malt sweetness comes in the beginning real quick then is taken over by the hops. The hops give a definite earthy character and the aftertaste leaves a strong bitterness with hints of mint.

M: Really good body, no complaints with the mouthfeel at all.

D: An excellent complex IPA. The hops are definitely there..I could smell the hops from my glass on the table. The high alcohol content (6.9%) keeps me from pounding a 6pk but it is really drinkable. Great example of the style...

07-21-2008 23:38:31 | More by Beefeater57
ckaufman

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been enjoying this fine brew for a few years now, and since it happens to be one of my personal top ten beers, I felt it warranted a review.

This beer pours out with a slightly hazed golden copper colour and a nice foamy 1-2 finger head. Very nice!

The hop aroma is very distinct from the moment the cap is rendered from the bottle. Very floral as most "left" coast IPAs tend to be.

The taste of this ale is incredible. Hopped & bitter, but with a nice mellow malt backbone for balance.

Mouthfeel, for me at least, tends to be the weakest side of this beer. The density of the hops seem to dry the palate after a few pints.

Easy to drink... goes down smoothly and sometimes you forget the 6.9% ABV contained in this fine Cali IPA.

One of my favorites. Enjoy!

07-21-2008 22:45:31 | More by ckaufman
robbyc1

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Nice clear orange/yellow with a nice fluffy white head, leaves some lace on the glass, stays on for 3 -4 minutes.

Nose has grapefruit for sure, smells very fresh and refreshing, some nose of limes as well, no malt smell but good.

Nice grapefruit flavor, signs of limes, refreshing and balanced, not sweet, but little malt to balance the hops. In addition, the mouthfeel is not as heavy as I would like, (see Two Hearted). Nothing wrong, just not great.

Low bitterness so an easy drinker, again very refreshing, would take this over most summer styles, if I was on the west coast I could keep a six pack of this, but Bells and Goose have ones as good so no problem.

07-20-2008 19:15:32 | More by robbyc1
DrunkenMaster

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler from Consumer Beverages. Bright orange color with a nice head. I like the color of this. Aroma is fruity and floral with some sweet malts. Starts out with lots of malt sweetness but gets more bitter and dry towards the finish. Not bad, but a pretty average IPA.

Serving type: growler

07-20-2008 15:34:39 | More by DrunkenMaster
sorryaboutbrooks

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured beer into glass. Definitely a little cloudy for an IPA (maybe a chill haze goin on?). Pours a yellowish or light copper. Not much of a head, but keep in mind I use glasses washed in the dishwasher with detergent. Amazing citrus smell. First sip catches you off guard as it is not what you would expect, but it is a great unique citrus flavor. The citrus (orange like flavor) is not over powering, but balanced very well with the rest of the beer. Great beer.

07-19-2008 03:34:54 | More by sorryaboutbrooks
LunaChick

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For what it is, its a good IPA. But its by far not nearly what I expected.
Medium golden color with about a 1 finger head that left lacing to the bottem of the pint. Smells strongly of pine, citrus and alcohol. What got me about this was there was no depth to the flavor. It was a big hoppy start and then very little in between or in the end even. The overall flavor was decent--nice strong hop flavor, bitter orange peel. A very easy drinking IPA--would be easy to have 2 or 3 even. Nice carbonation, soft mouth feel and generally a clean finish. I guess I like my IPA's to leave a strong flavor on the back of my mouth and this doesn't. Overall its a good beer but not one I'd regularly reach for.

07-17-2008 03:18:51 | More by LunaChick
cbros

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Got this in a trade with kylightzone, thanks brother.

Serving type- Bottle with no born on date poured into a regular pint glass. No activity present in beer after pour.

A- Poured a brilliant golden yellow. With a nice white lace that stayed around to the finish.

S- First thing that hits you is the STRONG hoppy alcohol smell. Also hints of herbs and spices but my rather untrained nose cannot decipher them specifically.

T- Once again the hoppiness hits you upside the head. You taste the hops throughout, which is a good thing because it helps balance out the strong alcohol flavor. Overall a great tasting and strong hoppy beer.

This is a great IPA and I am only sorry that I cannot get this around my area. I am just now getting aclemated into the stronger and hoppier beers and I can see why this is a good representative of the genre. I truly hope that Stone comes to NC soon like the rumours that are going around are stating. Otherwise I am gonna have to keep trading to get my hands on this.

07-16-2008 21:24:45 | More by cbros
kbnooshay

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a slightly hazy orange color with a thick and frothy off white head. A good amount of carbonation stuck to the side of the glass. The frothyness of the head leads to some awesome clumpy lacing. Floral and pine treeish aroma. The flavor is similar but with an awesome breadiness to it. This is very well balanced. There is some malt in there. There is a pleasant dryness to the brew.
The feel is kinda slick and moderate. For an IPA this is one of the the most balanced and drinkable ones ive had.

07-15-2008 01:54:06 | More by kbnooshay
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.