Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Enjoyed on tap at Sandy's in Huntington Beach

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a tea brown with white foamy head with good retention. Lacing covers the length of the glass

S: hoppy piney bitterness resin like quality. No real fruit or malty component

T: hop forward. Bitter the way a good IPA should be. Some malty sweetness contributed at the end

M: bitterness dries out the palate. Very smooth on the tongue, quite refreshing

O: a great hoppy beer, this and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are my go to beers for sessioning

3.84/5  rDev -9%

Was looking forward to trying this one for a while but have to say I was slightly disappointed. Nice beer but doesn't really stand out for me amongst a crowded IPA field packed with great beers. This one looks nice, cloudy light amber color and modest head; smell is slightly floral hops, continuing in the taste. Bitterness is pretty restrained for a west coast IPA. Mouthfeel is thin enough, medium carbonation, definitely highly drinkable.

Perhaps I got an old bottle; there was no dating but I did buy it from a very solid store that keeps the product moving. Overall the flavors were a bit more muted than I would have liked but this is a solid B IPA nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle into tulip, from notes.

A: A bright, murky straw body, with a good layer of white head. Lacing is formed in layers.

S: Aroma of very floral hops, slightly herbal and earthy. Medium hop intensity.

T/M: Cleans the palate with a juicy burst of liquid hop flavor. Bitterness catches up with the body and dries things out. Lingering finish is strong bitter and dry, while mouthfeel is quite refreshing. Malt body is present, but hops are leaning on the heavier side.

O: Overall this is a very flavorful and layered IPA, that is a solid goto IPA.

A - Light copper/amber in color, nice lacing
S - Smelled of hops and grasses; very nice
T - Tasted of citrus and pine. Very delightful
M - Perfect cabonation
O - A very well balanced beer. Exactly what I would expect from Stone. I will have this again, as well as any others I can get my hands on!

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A-golden amber color with an off-white head and good lacing

S-pine and hops aroma with a little citrus

T- pine and citrus flavor with a nice blend of solid hops, very well balanced

F-medium body with pleasant carbonation

O-terrific IPA with great flavor and balance

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Another hop-tastic treat from Stone. A vigorous pour creates a beautiful cascading effect, and the lumpy, sticky head is also very pleasing to the eye. Hazy orange color. Soooo aromatic. Pineapple, citrus fruit, and raw, herbal hops- intense aromas. Very complex taste. Nice fruitiness and surprising sweetness. Hop character is bitter and long-lasting, and perhaps a bit medicinal. Herbal for sure. The finish dries up a little, and the oily hop feel is replaced by a more leafy one. Some spice (perhaps from the alcohol) in the finish as well. Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery, but the hops make up for it. As a Hophead, this brew makes me very happy.

Jesus what an incredible beer. After having tried (and enjoyed on several occasions) some Arrogant Bastard Ale (in a bomber no less) I purchased a 6 pack of Stone IPA for $9 today. My immediate reaction? Jesus. The pour is nothing short of beautiful. A foam head at least 1" thick comes up as soon as the beer hits the glass. The color of the beer itself appears to be the same color as honey is. The smell is definitely a lot of hops, with a strong scent of pine as well. Very, very hoppy. Taste-wise, between the intense amount of hops being present in the beer and the taste of pine and a tiny bit of grapefruit, it's one of a few beers that is actively kicking my ass. All in all, this is a beer that is automatically on my top five list.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a hazy orange glow and a foamy head of at least two inches. Head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Nose is very hoppy with an herbal and fruity smell. Taste is hoppy with mildly fruity malts. Medium carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel with restrained bitterness. Very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a British Imp Nonic.

Case marked 6/2011, which I believe is a born on date.

Pours a nice one to two finger head which rapidly settles to a 1/4” cap and then to a thin film. Golden amber color with some depth and obviously not filtered. Very little “lacing”. An average looking IPA.

A good aroma of citrusy hops, light yeast, and as this ale warms some malt, nothing overly exciting here but quite enjoyable.

Nice crisp entry in the mouth, medium to full bodied, with the main flavor being the nice fruity citrus hops, the hops give way to some pleasant bitterness, and eventually a little malt comes thru as the ale warms.

Has a good finish of lingering bitter hops, very good length, quite enjoyable.

OK, not a heavy hitter but certainly a very drinkable IPA, refreshing, one I would drink on the colder side, say around 45 degrees, and suitable for a warm summer day. The finish is the most distinctive component of this ale and definitely adds to the overall enjoyment. Average ABV for this style. Sells for approximately $42 around here so it’s no bargain when I can buy Victory Hop Devil for less.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is another example of a beer that I have had many times, but finally reviewed today.

Stone IPA pours with a pretty aggressive head. I used a tulip glass, and got three fingers before reaching the pour line.

I can smell the hoppiness way before I pull the glass to my nose. There is a pretty strong smelling head of pine and citrus.

In my first taste I am reminded of the difference between East Coast and West Coast IPA's. The hopping is much stronger in the West Coast... this is only half a step away from a DIPA. The bitterness is present, but not over-powering.

Overall, Stone did a great job. It isn't a surprise that this is on the beers of fame.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Drinking this right now poured out of a bottle into a Pint glass. Nice head and color. The smell is right on with other ipas. As for the taste... I had stone ipa ruination last week and personally I think this brew does more damage to your palate. Hops are very strong. Immediately attacking the back of your tongue. I feel like I can only have 2 of these and then I can't taste anything. Cant taste much alcohol but the buzz comes in nice and easy. It's a quality beer but i prefer something a bit more drinker friendly.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - an orange to yellow color with small white bubbled 1 finger head, moderate lacing

S - If pine tree's bloomed flowers they would smell like this. Floral, with a bit of wilderness in it.

T - a balanced bitterness that is consistent throughout but with a nice malt addition in the middle, very dry in the finish

O - Very good beer, anytime I try stone I try to keep their reputation from inflating my score's but they are consistently well done.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Cowboy style

A- The bottle looked good...

S- Sharp and aggressive with some citrus

T- Wonderfully bitter and strong with a nice undercurrent of citrus notes

M- Smooth, not overcarbonated, not too thick or too thin for an IPA

Fantastic beer. My friend handed me a bottle. We were looking after a house and I didn't want to bother him with a request for a glass (being that he'd have to wash it) so I just drank it from the bottle as he was. Still an exceptional beer, even just out of the bottle. Can't imagine how incredible it is in a glass much less on tap. Great beer. Bitter is better.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Poured a cloudy, hazy golen yellow body with a white one-finger head that diminishes rather quickly. Very minimal lacing along the glass.

S- Citrus, pine, and tropical fruits. There is quite a presence of caramel in the aroma as well.

T- Wonderful citrus and pine come immediately from the hops. The caramel malt is extremely present in the backbone. The aftertaste consists of a sweet caramel/pleasant bitterness.

M- A bit watered down and under-carbonated.

D- Sits very light. No problem putting away several of these bad boys.

An excellent IPA.

The 6.90% abv blends very well with the abundance of hops flavor. The citrusy flavor reminds me of Columbus hops, with the possibility of Simcoe and Centennial.

From the bottle, the beer pours a fairly heaving beer with a medium head. The beer is clearer than the taste would lend you to believe with a very full mouthfeel.

The malt-sweetness melds well with the hops bittering while the aroma returns the experience to sweetness.

It goes down easy for a bigger beer, and is deceptively strong for those not paying close attention.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass

A- Pours a nice hazy orangrong e color with a two finger fluffy head that leaves lots of chunky lacing with very little holes in the lacing.

S- Big citrus, some pine, floral, tropical fruit, woodiness, and a little funk. One of the best smelling beers I have ever had, if not the best, and a powerful aroma as well.

T- Citrus, pine, woodiness, and tropical fruit. Has a very nice assertive bitterness to it

M- Very dry beer, finishes very dry with some prickly carbonation

O- This is a great IPA, very aromatic, great flavor, strong bitterness. This is a great beer and a hophead's dream come true. This beer just tasted so fresh.

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour - is excellent. Thick but pale. Moderate but lasting head
Smell - hop heaven
Taste - wonderful. My goto IPA. I think there's something missing but I don't know what... Like I haven't tasted it yet
Mouthfeel - very enjoyable. Not overly viscous.
Overall - for me the standard of well-hopped medium-strong beer.
Analysis - great. Could be better but not much. What is missing?

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz, poured into a pint glass.

I've got what's going to be an excellent steak coming up to room temperature, but I couldn't wait to have this. I suppose the steak is going to have to go with a nice stout later on. And away we go...

A: Well slap me about the face and neck and call me stupid, but it sure looks like an IPA. Light burnt orange in color, a head the color of an orange peel 1cm in height, which dissolves quickly into lace. Pretty good.

S: Surprise, surprise, surprise (50 points to anyone who knows whence came that quote), it smells like an IPA, and a hoppy one at that. I'm getting grapefruit, orange, pine, a little caramel from the malt, not bad at all.

T: Ooh, wee, that's hoppy! Bitter Beer Face! Very piny up front, so much so that you almost miss the grapefruit and caramel. Stone is known for hops, and this doesn't disappoint if that's what you're looking for.

M: For its style, great, not spectacular. It's medium-bodied, not overly carbonated, and leaves a very piny finish.

O: Very good. It's what I would expect from a West Coast beer; hoppy as all heck, and bitter as an ex who finds out you've done better since leaving her. I wish I'd waited to cook the steak and have it with this beer; the saltiness would have cut this hoppiness nicely. Think I'll grab myself a piece of sharp cheddar. Ciao!

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with a finger of foamy white head that retains and lace amazingly. The aroma is strong with caramel malt and earthy hops. The taste starts with some caramel and bready malt and then has citrus notes and finishes with the caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is clean and finishes smooth. Over al a great IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Sipping on this cold delicious and warming beer on this hot day, figured I might as well say some words about it.
It is a pleasure, one I rarely anymore so often give myself to where I indulge in this, one of Stone's finest offerings. Sadly, there is so much beer to try and so little time, but today, an old classic reigns in my glass. Frilly lace upon the sides of the caravan as it travels the swivel of my elbow from the table to my mouth. Big time pine in my nose with a little bit of citrus. Drying finish, nice bitterness, subtle malt backbone, just supple enough. This is a classic for a reason. And the reason is love.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper-apricot color with a nice head that quickly dissipates and leaves a nice ring of lacing. The smell is slightly sweet with strong citrus aromas dominating. This beer has a nice grapefruit aroma going on. This is a hop forward IPA. There is a decent malt backbone but the hops steal the show as they should in a west coast IPA. This is a nicely carbonated IPA, not too bubbly but just bubbly enough which really helps to tie the whole package together.

Stone IPA is always around so I don't drink it often but when I do I always question why I don't drink it more often. This is a damn solid IPA, one that I need to remind myself to get reacquainted with from time to time.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

22oz bomber served in a SA 'perfect pint' glass.
enjoy by date 09/01/11, so it's plenty fresh. (date is a bit tough to spot - laser engraved on the shoulder of the bottle)

pours a bright, clear golden-yellow with a good finger and a half of a frothy beige head. excellent retention and lacing all over the place. for my money this is the archetype of how an IPA should look.

aromatic hoppy nose smacks of grapefruit and pine with a touch of malt in the background.

taste follows and even exceeds the nose. just a really tasty IPA with plenty of juicy citrus, pine, and a touch of herbal-ness. nice dose of sweet malt. excellent beer. medium bodied on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, one of my favorite IPAs. just an excellent, well-made, beer. an exemplar of the style.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I have a place in my heart for this beer, when I first got started on craft beers, I only drank stouts and porters, assuming that pale beers were all lagers and Bass type ales, then I tried this one and learned about the magnificent world of IPAs. This was probably the second most important beer I tried, so finally a review:

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, best before date of 09/05/11 (this is the freshest I've found this in a while and its so good fresh).

Pours a light golden color with a nice foamy white head, which leaves a nice lacing. The smell is of hops, citrus and pine, some grapefruit and lemon, a little caramel malts but they're mostly hidden behind the hops.

The feel is medium light, lots of hop bitterness coats the mouth. No surprise with the taste, its mostly hops, a hint of malty sweetness on the way down but its quickly overwhelmed with a very bitter hoppy after taste which lingers, there are hints of citrus acidic flavors (grapefruit, lemon) which go nice with the pine hops and it has a great dual taste. I think one of the things I love about this and Green Flash IPA are the extreme hops and bitterness are very present, no double IPA attempt to hide them with lots of malts.

Overall I absolutely love this beer, I've probably drank more of this one than any other, its my go to beer for a night of drinking and it never disappoints. I love it fresh and I even like it past date when the hops die down a little and the citrus flavors shine through, fresh or old I love this beer. Thank you Stone for making me a craft beer lover.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

The beer pours out a clear yellow in color with a light head on top. The aroma off the beer is decadent, floral, and really showcases those traditional West Coast hop varieties. The dry hopping allows for more prominent tones of citrus, pine, and maybe some light woody characteristics as well. The taste of the beer is similar to that showcased in the aroma, it's a homage to hops and easily overpowers the malt profile of the beer. Mostly the beer tastes of citrus and piney hops and swallows with a dry finish with lingering hop resin on the tongue. Overall the drink of this beer is great for those hop heads/IPA lovers who are more taken by the West Coast variety of the beer style.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Having sampled many of Stone’s offerings in the past, I’m finally getting the chance to try their IPA.

This is a 22 ounce bomber that I’m pouring into a goblet. The appearance is hazy, and it almost looks like there is some yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I didn’t think that Stone bottle conditioned but maybe I’m wrong. Color is a deep golden yielding to copper. Head is minimal but it has gorgeous lacing.

Not surprisingly, hops dominate the nose. This is an IPA, after all, and a West-coast style one, to boot. Fruity citrus hops dominate, followed by floral and musty pine. In the background there’s this wonderful hint of malt caramel sweetness. Often you get an IPA with muted hop character, and that’s certainly not the case here. The smell on this is just so crisp and fresh – a sure sign that this is a very fresh IPA and one that’s been treated with care.

The first taste showcases a nice level of carbonation, and moderate bitterness that isn’t overpowering. Having had Ruination in the past, it’s nice to get a beer from Stone that actually attempts to maintain some semblance of balance. Taste has a nice residual sweetness to it, including in the finish. It’s easy to finish IPAs with bitterness, but this, surprisingly, seems to go more towards the sweet side. That said the body of the beer is light, dry, and refreshing. Lots of flavor for something that goes down so easily. The label says 6.9% ABV but the alcohol is never apparent.

Stone gets a lot of praise for the other beers that they produce, but this is an underrated example of the West-Coast IPA style. It’s a little bit light in body, but this lends to easy drinking. The hop profile and underrated malt backbone make this beer a winner.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.