Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
saintwarrick

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a very light gold with a thick and solid white head. Aroma is hoppy, light grapefruit and candied sugar notes mixed with piney resins, a bit light for the style. Taste is the same, light and bitter, but not as big or bold as some other beers of this style. The citrusy bitterness is a bit restrained but gives a nice kick at the end.

For the strength of this beer, I was expecting something a bit bigger, hoppier and bitter. Ruination pulls off the style a bit better, but this is still a good brew.

02-01-2009 05:14:56 | More by saintwarrick
htomsirveaux

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

22 oz. bottle tried 12 Oct 2008.

Poured in a shaker pint. Medium off white creamy colored head. Well carbonated. Slightly cloudy deep gold color. Perfumy aroma, sweet and floral. Starts moderately citrusy, bitter, becoming maltier throught the middle. Mild ethanol. Finish is citric and floral.

02-01-2009 03:07:25 | More by htomsirveaux
liquidnoise

This is my favorite beer.

Perfect mouthfeel and appearance.

Perfect hop flavor. Not too weak, not to bitter. If you like really bitter stuff, try Stone's ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard. For me, though, this is perfect.

Also, moderately priced in the "bomber" section, especially when lined up against all the Belgians that, IMHO, don't taste as good.

Outstanding.

02-01-2009 03:01:47 | More by liquidnoise
aforbes10

Iowa

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Bought a single 12 oz of this at the Davis Co-Op today because i realized that i'd never actually tried it and i thought that was a little odd. Pours a yellowish orange, with a lower level of carbonation and a shorter head than i had expected. Head is only about an eight of an inch and very white. Smells of clementine juice, hop oils and lemons. Flavor is everything i would assume...perfect balance of citrusy hops on a nice soft malt backbone. Bitterness is there, but that's not the defining character of the beer, more of something that creeps in later, to remind you to take another sip. Its all about the delicious hop flavors and they get it perfectly right. mmmm. Smooth, medium body. Drinks like a dream. Excellent.

When my dad (who loves IPAs) comes out from Philly to visit, Ill have a sixer of this as well as Firestone IPA and Green Flash IPA waiting for him. Cream of the CA crop, IMO.

02-01-2009 01:04:30 | More by aforbes10
OtherShoe2

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy white head with some decent lacing.

Smell is grapefruit and citrus and a little malt.

Hop hop hop grapefruit and bitterness -- that's the taste. Finishes a little biscuity/light toasted grain.

Medium body, some good chewy texture here.

Well, the alcohol is a kick in the balls. Couldn't decide on this or Ruination and chose this because of alcohol level. Well, that was dumb, as another 1% wouldn't have mattered. I'll have one more out of the six and be done with it tonight. If a little less boozy, this would be a regular for me.

01-31-2009 00:25:20 | More by OtherShoe2
RichT73

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I certainly enjoyed this beer, but to be honest I would save a couple bucks and pick up Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale for a much better taste and a more drinkable offering. This beer can be described in three words: spicy, spicy, spicy. I drank two of these on Saturday night and that was about all I could handle. The spice is just slightly overwhelming for me. Maybe I'm not as much of a hophead as I thought. There is a very obvious scent of grapefruit. You can certainly taste the alcohol, and it does kind of hit you after a couple. All in all, I wouldn't buy this beer again just because it isn't overly drinkable. But, once again, I wouldn't turn down a free one.

01-31-2009 00:00:25 | More by RichT73
bamadog

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Can I just say, I love Stone Brewery and everything they do :) I've tried a lot of their selection but it dawned on me that I hadn't tried this one yet and it was everything I hoped for.

Appearance: Light coppery in color with a 1 and 1/2 finger pillowy head. Slightly cloudy.

Smell: Hoppy and bitter - perhaps a slightly floral bitterness in there as well.

Taste: Awesome - everything I hoped for. Wonderfully bitter but not like an extreme type of hopped beer, so it's got a great balance. Normally I'd expect a bit more of a citrusy flavor in there, but it seems absent to me in this instance.

Mouthfeel: It goes down quite smoothly, a little sticky and creamy in the mouth and definitely leaves the mouth feeling sticky. Perfect.

Drinkability: I live a good IPA, so I would put this high. I don't know how much I'd care to drink in one night at 6.9% ABV, it'd likely knock me over.

01-30-2009 23:57:15 | More by bamadog
righlander

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a beautiful deep gold with a pillow like fluffy white lacey head that stays.
Smells is....Oooo so nice. Piney leafy aroma grassy citric goodness. Some sturdy malty smells in there too but overpowered in to submission by the wonderful hops.
This beer smells great!
taste... Nice hop punch right off the bat, lovey citrus earthy green but not chewy grainy. Nice toasty pale malt and crystal malt presence. Very big beer in taste, but not too thick in any way at the same time. they really dialed in the hops to malt ratio on this one to make a very fine American IPA.
Mouth feel is nice too...very soft pillow like carbonation, sits nice on the tongue and lets the tongue know it's still alive at the same time.
Drinkability is...eh..a bit too high of an ABV to make it a session beer for me. After 4 I would be pretty drunk.
I will definitely buy this again!

Notes: A wonderful AIPA! This is like perfect! A very impressive beer. Right up there with Titan IPA in my opinion

01-30-2009 01:08:00 | More by righlander
jdklks

Nevada

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

golden color with a nice white head that leaves minimal lacing.

smells and tastes of hops and citrus fruits. fruit sweetness up front with a bitter hop end that leaves you reaching for more. lots and lots of hops in this one.

medium bodied and has fantastic drinkability.

one of my favorite all-time beers. definitely recommended.

01-27-2009 06:32:43 | More by jdklks
mullenite

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Very cloudy gold color with a 1/4 finger white head that made it's exit rather fast and left nice ring around the glass. Lots of sticky lacing despite this however.

Strait up hops in the nose, I'm almost afraid to try it as I wanted to review Vitus tonight as well. More citrus hops than I expected, I was thinking this would be very piney and floral for some reason.

Not as much of a hop bomb as the nose was leading me to think it would be. The hop presence is strong with little balance but not overwhelming. Some of the pine and floral tastes I was expecting in the nose do make an appearance with the grapefruit/citrus rind bitterness that was there.

A lot of sharp carbonation that I'm not too fond of but it doesn't really effect things too much. Fairly light bodied and easy to drink.

Overall this is a decent IPA, not my favorite but by no means is it as offensive and damaging to the palette as I thought it would be.

01-26-2009 09:31:28 | More by mullenite
Lambstrong

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

It pours a golden hue and cloudy (unfiltered?). Slight white foamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing.

There is an upfront intense hop aroma with citrus and grapefruit notes. One of the best aromas I've smelled in a beer.

This beer is beautifully balanced between the sweetness with lemon/grapefruit bitterness.

Lastly, this beer had perfect carbonation and the bitterness lent itself to a slight chewiness.

01-26-2009 04:07:15 | More by Lambstrong
cpn920

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a golden color with a big frothy head that leaves great lacing on my pint glass. Smell is of citrusy hops and a little malt. Taste is good with a big slap of hops and a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Very nice beer that is very drinkable.

01-25-2009 20:52:03 | More by cpn920
pandashaver

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Hazy golden orange with 1.5 finger thick white head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Characteristic floral hops and citrus.

T - Great hop bitterness, perfect amount of sweetness to balance the hops and not destroy the palate.

M - Smooth and filling. Thick for an IPA, almost creamy. Good presence but not overly bitter on the palate, which is tough to accomplish with an IPA.

D - Being thick and full of character, I could only have a couple of these - but in the way you would a decadent dessert.

01-25-2009 15:25:01 | More by pandashaver
KBoudreau66

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark gold color with about one finger of frothy white head. Leaves lacing at the top of the glass.

Smells of piney, and citrusy hops. Undertones of grapefruit, and a subtle malts.

Has the a strong taste of piney/citrus hops up front. Malt undertones come through. Unbalnced, but delicious.

Has a medium body thats a little bit carbonated
If you like delicious hoppy beer, this one won't let you down. In my top 3 favorite IPA's.

01-24-2009 06:04:56 | More by KBoudreau66
sonicdescent

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a see-through golden with one fingered white head with very active carbonation.

Scent of citrus and pine hops. Smells stronger than ruination.

Tastes of grapefruit and other citrus flavors. Very nice and rather robust for a "regular" IPA.

Medium body and low to medium carbonation. There may be a better combination, but this gets by.

Great IPA, very good on the drinkability scale as it is tasty and not harsh, if just a tad too high on the ABV scale for sessioning.

01-24-2009 03:04:03 | More by sonicdescent
TheDoorman

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

As I review this beer, I am reminded that this is the beer that almost 10 years ago turned me craft. I am also reminded of how far my beer palate has come, and also how far craft beer has come since then. I remember this beer as the hop-bomb by which all hop bombs were to be judged.

Today, I note the pristine clear orange color of this beer with a nice white head, nice lacing, and visibible carbonation in the body. The nose is impressive. Hops are apparant as you even approach this beer. Florals, Citrus, earth tones. A nice belnd of hoppage. Perhaps some pine and freshly cut grass. The palate must be judged in two phases. Up front its a nice pale ale, in the back its hops really explode again. Up front, dare I say it is a touch watery, but the hops in the finish are subperb and bitter. Mouthfeel is light, oily, creamy, sticky and dry.

This is a fantatic beer. Whether good or bad, beer has come a long way since this beer turned me craft. Hop heads have a slew of double IPAs to turn to, including Stone's Ruination. When I am looking for my hop fix, the IIPA is where I usually turn, and when I am turning away from hops, IPAs don't really fit into the mix. Unfortunately, IPAs seem to fall by the boards sometimes.

A great beer with great hop action, but I will continue towards IIPAs when I need my hops.

01-24-2009 01:58:19 | More by TheDoorman
dasenebler

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a deep gold, with a modest yet natural, creamy head. Huge, delicious aroma of pine and herbal medicine. This is a liberally hopped beverage.

First taste bites you like sinking your teeth into a lemon, and I always love that first explosion of IPA flavor. The piney promise of the aroma comes through as well. Bitter, bitter aftertaste, but an adequate, malty/biscuity backbone balances things out. I've had it out of both the 22oz and 12oz bottles. Both are delicious, but the 22oz flavors seemed more delicate. Either way, you've got to try this beer. Creamy mouthfeel, not light, not heavy and very refreshing. Good medium-low carbonation. This beer is absolutely delicious, one of the best IPAs out there.

01-23-2009 22:59:44 | More by dasenebler
tittymcj

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Tried this beer after a recommendation from my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

Pours a hazy copper color, with a quickly dissipating head but excellent lacing throughout.
The smell is of very strong floral hops, without much malt at all.
The taste is very very strong. Lots of thick, bready flavor, but also a rather extreme hop taste, and a lasting bitterness after swallowing.
It feels very light in the mouth and leaves a hoppy residue behind that stings for a while before the next sip. Low carbonation, but is easily made up for by the hop sting.
Overall a great beer, very easy to drink because of the light, clean feeling it leaves behind. Definitely worth drinking on a regular basis.

01-23-2009 21:06:07 | More by tittymcj
freeeekyyy

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

a- Very light in color, even for an IPA. It's pale enough it could almost be a pilsener. Medium head, dissipates quickly, laces well.

s- All hops in the nose.

t- Very bready tasting. Refreshing and filling. Not a typical IPA, it actually seems a bit light compared to many, especially odd considering that it's a Stone brew.

m - Medium mouthfeel. Not super heavy, but it has enough substance to feel good in the mouth.

d - I could drink bottle after bottle all day. It's a wonderful, wonderful beer.

Overall, the Stone IPA is definitely worth trying and maybe even making it your regular "buy every week" beer.

01-23-2009 19:12:22 | More by freeeekyyy
Greggy

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Best by 11-24-08.. A little past, but I'll take my chances.

A- Pours a nice billowy, fluffy, thick white head with extreme lacing and great retention. The body is an orange/amber color with a hazy body.

S- I want to say this nose has some skunk on it, but I'm thinking it's maybe just hops. This is pretty unique for an Ipa. Big pear, pine notes, nice big hopiness with sweet malt peeking it's head.

T- Starts out with an excellent herbal character, almost clovy, with notes of orange, loads of pine and then transitions to an extremely dry finish which I'm just loving. Superb.

M- Light carbonation is good and the dry finish is great.

D- What a beer. Easily my new go-to IPA. Alcohol cannot be detected at all. Great beer.

01-22-2009 19:52:35 | More by Greggy
yuenglings

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Served in a pintglass a light hazey yellow with a good thick head that left a nice laceing

S: A hoppy citris like smell to it

T: Like it smells sweet hoppy citris taste not bitter

M: Smooth and creamy, sweet at first ends with a nice drytaste in your mouth

D: Like all the brews i have tried from stone after you get a taste for the first bottle ya cant stop drinkin them

01-22-2009 12:54:20 | More by yuenglings
twbrewer

Wisconsin

A-Poured into a pint glass it has a clear golden color with a 12" of off white thick and chunky looking head.

S-Smells of light,sweet,citrusy and clean soapy scent(yes soap,good soap)Floral aroma reminds me of a greenhouse.

T-Light and sweet hoppy flavor backed by a huge malt finish with more sweet hops lingering around to remind you this is a IPA.

M-Medium bodied beer with a clean,crisp feel,slighty dry finish.

D-This is one of the best IPA's I've had,not overly hoppy but enough that their presence is known.This is a must try for any beer fan.

01-22-2009 06:07:47 | More by twbrewer
Gyle41386

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bomber purchased at Green's in Columbia, SC, into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden with a fluffy white head. Decent retention with some sticky lacing.

Smell is of citrus and pine. I can tell from the scent that this is an aggressively hopped beer. Also some very light scent of sweet malt.

Taste is all hops, but not really bitter at all, which is quite a surprise. Nice dry finish.

Pleasant mouthfeel. Nice and creamy, medium body with good carbonation. The hops were not overly slick or oily, and like I stated before, the bitterness doesn't dominate.

This is just a damn fine IPA.

01-19-2009 00:21:21 | More by Gyle41386
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint. This beer pours a reasonably clear golden color with a nice level of viewable carbonation. A bried head is formed that gets up to about an inch and then recedes to a full covered lacing.

The aroma is as expected with a nice combination of hoppy citrus and pine. There is a malty sweetness, as well.

The taste is, as it smells. There is a heavy level of hops although it is not overwhelmingly bitter. The malt again comes through mildly, but nicely. It finishes dry.

The mouthfeel is pleasant from the dryness and lack of too much bitterness. However, it does seem that it could be a little thicker to me. Carbonation is quite good for the combination.

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer if you like hops. It gives the exact components of a good IPA and I will enjoy this again when I can get my hands on it.

01-18-2009 22:45:57 | More by SykDoc
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

A - slight haze, very light orange, billowy white head, leaves some ok lacing.

S - clean citrus and pine, tropical sweetness,

T - explodes with citrus and tropical hop flavour to start, but still a decent malt backbone in there, firm with a balancing sweetness, but it's quickly overcome in the finish with bitter grapefruit. Bitterness is not huge, but still no complaints in that department.

M - Creamy, but with a mild hop astringency, finish is dry and lip smacking, no alcohol presence, med body and carbonation.

D - a well executed IPA, though I'd expect a touch more bitterness for it's size.

Any complaints here are minor quibbles really, but this beer just doesn't have the intensity of their Ruination IPA, even though it's not that much smaller. I'd order the Ruination over this anytime, but it's still a very good second choice.

01-18-2009 21:56:00 | More by markaberrant
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.