Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pale orange with finger of off-white head that lasts. Pretty.

S - Citrusy, piney, hops. Also, some biscuity malt flavor sneeks in.

T - Hop resin, mostly the citrus and pine that you pick up in the aroma, but also scallions/onions. I wouldn't say this is bad though, it blends in well in the finish. Good malt sweetness to balance. Lasting hop bitterness.

M - Silky smooth, soft carbonation, medium body.

D - This is a joy to drink. Very tasty, satisfying, and refreshing.

I actually like this better than Ruination. I feel it has more balance. Top-notch IPA.

jpittman80, May 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Wow. I'm just starting to appreciate hoppy beers and this is the hoppiest beer I've tried so far. Delicious herbal and pine flavors come through extra strong, incredibly crisp, dry beer..but smooth all at once. Nice head retention. Looking forward to trying other offerings from Stone. If you're into hops, give this one a try!

Zekezilla, May 09, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -47.2%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

industrialswill, May 08, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A: gold and slightly copper, with a nice clarity. Large rocky head and sticky lace.

S: Orange, Bread notes, and sweet, sugary smell I can't quite place. Some light fruit scent as well, maybe a little bit of peach?

T: Bitter and slightly acidic tasting up front, and sweet and smooth on the end, just as a good ipa should be. I detect citrus, sweet bready flavor, a hint of a yeast characteristic, which is intriguing, since most ipas are super clean. This one is still clean, but has a little bit of estery flavor to it. Nice and dry in the finish.

M: Very good mouthfeel, Nice and chewy for an ipa. I sense a good amount of body from the crystal malts.

D: you could knock a sixer of these back in a sitting! The dry finish and the hoppy sensation is quite refreshing. the beer is sweet and full enough to please your palate as well. All around an interesting and good ipa.

Ricelikesbeer, May 06, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a 16 Oz. dimpled mug.
Where do I start?!
From the immense delicious head and traditional strawberry blonde haze that typifies a classic IPA to the intense spicy hoppyness, this is one incredible American-style IPA. Probably the best one I've tried yet.
The lacing is worth a note. It covers the whole glass, right to the bottom.
One point I need to make about this Beer, is that it isn't Hopped to the point where the Malty character doesn't come through. It's there, sure enough and perfectly balances the brew.
Although the ABV is fairly low, a few of these at the bar would still warrant a designated driver. It hits the brain like liquid Marijuana! Be advised and drink (ir)responsibly. (and I'm no light-weight.)
This is a classic that nobody should go through a lifetime without trying.
Essential!

---Edit---
Every time I do an IPA tasting, this one still comes out on top.
If there was a higher rating than an A+ I would give it to this Beer. The bottled version is astounding. On tap, it's enough to provoke spontaneous combustion.

BobJustBob, May 05, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A very hazy golden color, with a bubbly, rocky head. Decent retention, and nice lace stick.

Smell: Floral and herbal hops. Surprising spicy aroma.

Taste: No real malt presence, we go straight the a strong hop taste. I really enjoy the herbal spiciness that protrudes and stays through the whole sip. There is still a nice sweetness here. Strong hop bitterness during the sip, and the aftertaste is quite bitter as well.

Mouthfeel: One thing I will never say about a Stone Brew is that it is not smooth, and this is no exception. Medium carbonation, but with a strong taste it drinks with a medium / full body.

Drinkability: West coast ultra hopped tastiness. Not for the faint of palette. It would be natural to think a beer this hoppy would not be drinkable. Stone is insulted by that way of thinking, don't let it happen again.

KickInTheChalice, May 05, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Beautiful white fluffy head that takes up half my Duvel tulip and color is bright yellow and amber.

S: Sweet, tart, tangy. Very much grapefruit but a lot sweeter. Hops aren't really that prominent to me in the nose.

T: Nice little hop kick upfront with lots of fruity and tangy notes. Has a very clean finish.

M: Has a nice thickness to it almost in a thick stout category to me. Lays nicely on the tongue.

D: Very easy drinking. Hard to not gulp. Carbonation and thickness is spot on.

This stuff is crazy. It is an IPA that drinks like an DIPA. How do they pack all that flavor into this beer? Stone are masters at their game.

generalnotsew, May 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

-Poured a light amber color

-Strong and evident smell from the hops, always a good sign

-Right amount of hops, malt, and carbonation, tastes great

-Excellent IPA, one of my favorites, highly recommended. Only downside to this is beer is that it tend to be pricey.

hdog09, May 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5%

Great IPA with a strong citrus aroma, specifically grapefruit. Is reminiscent of a wheat beer in appearance but not as cloudy and certainly doesn't taste that way. The pine flavor of many hoppy beers isn't as overwhelming as many other IPAs but it certainly packs the same wallop.

It as a nice white head and the lacing is good, doesn't stick to the entire wall of the glass but certainly lets you know it's there. Definitely a beer that you can drink in large gulps so be careful.

freescribbles, May 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Gotta love the Stone bottles. "enjoy by" date is about 5 days from now. Gold with a nice frothy/foamy top. Good lacing and retention.

S - Citrus sweet, some pine, all hops

T&M - semi-sweet upfront with a mild citrus note then a strong herbal hop bite that lingers on the finish. Med to med thin feel.

D - Not bad, I'd have another..

A good IPA, would try again on draft or a fresher bottle.

al3, Apr 30, 2010

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A: One finger head that stays around for the entire beer. Hazy gold with light orange hues. Sticky lacing all the way down.
S: Sweet, some hops, piney, floral and a bit of citrus.
T: Very bitter, More pine and floral than the citrus flavors I enjoy more.
M: Medium mouthfeel, nice sharp carbonation.
D: Nice lingering bitterness, lack of more citrus flavors is somewhat disappointing..

This was a very good IPA just not my favorite. Personally I like more citrus in my IPA. Solid overall. Bottle is 3 months old which may have hurt the hop aroma. Will definitely try again, hopefully a fresher bottle.

jmich24, Apr 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottled April 13, 2010. 2 weeks old is as fresh as I ever see Stone 'round here.

Pours pale golden/amber with a good white head that maintains a foamy cap and leaves some nice spots and rings of lacing.

Aroma is a blast of pine up front, some citrus, grapefruit, touch of floral & grass, and a hint of bready malt.

Flavor is bitter & hoppy, pine, earthy, citrus rind, a little bit of malt sweetness and a nice long bitter finish. Not incredibly complex, but very tasty.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, sharp carbonation.

This drinks really easy and is an exceptional IPA.

elgiacomo, Apr 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Glassware: English-Style Pint Glass

This is my first Stone IPA although it isn't my first Stone beer. I must say that I wish I would have tried this first as I find it to be an excellent beer. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Stone Ruination IPA

This IPA looks as good as it drinks with a two plus finger head and a slightly cloudy amber color. The head had fair staying power although it retreated faster than I would have hoped. I seldom impart this to the beer but rather my glassware and dish washer. Lacing was good as well.

The smell was crisp, clean and not too strong. It had good hoppy floral notes.

The bitterness although good was definitely not overpowering making this a great everyday drinker. I really enjoyed this beer and I feel like this could be ideal in the heat of summer or by a fire in the depths of winter. One note is that there was a slight aftertaste that was not easy to identify, it almost creates a powdery feeling on the back of the tongue.

I would definitely recommend this beer to fellow craft brew fans and macro brew drinkers alike.

BayernJoe, Apr 28, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

First Review Ever
First Stone Ever:

Poured into pint glass - Deep permiable orange with solid head. Lacing very true throughout drink. Left rings

S - citrus hops! As to be expected with the style, could not pick up much malt, I guess that comes with experience.

T - As it smells, hops dominate the beer and leaves with a fruity after taste on the tongue.

M - great carbonation; very light in body but hops are still overwhelming.

D - Burned through the first two but slowed as the alcohol caught up to me. This is a strong beer and I felt the need to switch to something lighter. With more experience in craft brews I could learn to appreciate this brew a bit more.

ECUbrew, Apr 25, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Poped the cap on a 22oz bottle and shared with a friend. Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy golden color with a frothy three finger head. The head settles to a film after a few minutes. The smell is a lovely bouquet of hops. There are citrus and grassy notes. The first sip...a nice maltyness that quickly fades to the hops. This beer has a great backbone on it. The beer is hoppy but balanced. The mouth is nice. This beer is pretty much what I look for in an American IPA.

gosurfobx, Apr 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance - Light amber or golden with quite a bit of carbonization, it poured with a thick one finger head that lingers.

Aroma - Spicy yet sweet, citrus and floral aromas with a bready smell that I pick up very lightly.

Taste - Very hoppy throughout but it ends up being well balanced with a caramel sweet flavor.

Mouth Feel - Very smooth and silky.

Drinkability - This is a well balanced IPA and very tasty. I loved it!

RJay, Apr 22, 2010

Appearance: Pours with a 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a light layer on top & a nice lacing throughout drinking. Golden color with a slight haze

Smell: This beer smells amazing. The hops aroma flows right through you.

Taste: Tastes better than it smells.

Mouthfeel: Goes down clean with a nice hoppy finish, leaving your mouth watering after every drink.

Drinkability: Yes!

Borgs, Apr 21, 2010
4.22/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a nice clear golden with a fluffy white head that starts at about 2 fingers, retains itself nicely, leaves splotchy lacing

S: huge hop nose with big floral notes of pine, resin, grapefruit with a touch of toasty malt beneath all of that

T: the front is slightly bitter as the hops provide a very piney profile, there are also notes of citrus, flowers, and sweetness that keeps the bitterness in check, the malt backbone makes itself apparent towards the end in the form of caramel and bread, nice balance

MF: crisp and light body, medium to high carbonation, smooth going down, quite nice

D: this is a great IPA, I was so interested in trying all of Stone's extreme offerings first that it took me some time before I gave the IPA a chance, now I'm sorry I waited. This beer is great.

homebrew311, Apr 20, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a nice amber with a fluffy white head that laced the glass well.

The aroma is grass and citrus with just the hint of grapefruit. No malt sweetness in the nose at all. I was expecting a hop blast in the nose that wasn't entirely there.

This is one bitter IPA. Tastes very much like a DIPA at first, especially when it's very cold. As it warms, a bit of malt biscuit flavor comes through, but not much. A fresh Stone IPA on tap is all citrus, pine, and earthy grass flavors. The aftertaste is very dry and bitter.

There is just the right amount of carbonation here to hold up the hop resin. As it warms, it becomes a bit more oily.

This is an IPA that I keep in my garage fridge when I find it reasonably priced. It's usually a little more than comparable IPAs. Regardless, it's very drinkable.

BuckeyeOne, Apr 19, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

This is one of my favorite everyday beers. The smeel of hops is abundant with hints of herbs, and grapefruit, maybe some fresh cut grass. Taste has full NA hop flavor with a small malt trace. Undoubtly this beer is all about the bitterness. The aftertaste is quite persisting and a strong hop character lingers in the mouth.

gerardoguzmanh, Apr 19, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my "Brewery Tours of San Diego" souvenir pint glass.

Solid head brimming the glass with a fairly hard pour, creamy and white with excellent retention and lacing. A hazy golden color, looks thick from a solid amount of malt.

The smell is awesome, herbal and bitter notes hit the nose with and audacity that isn't a characteristic of many beers. I get no sweetness or citrus in the smell, a definite woodiness though, pine for sure.

Love the taste, it's all bitter hop flavor, pine, and herbal references all combining in the palate simultaneously. The bitterness stays with you during the whole analysis and doesn't ever let up, not even at the next sip when you refresh your palate with more delicious brew. Tons of flavor in here, the way an I.P.A should be, this bad boy puts some so called "DIPA's" from other breweries to shame.

Had to go back and specifically think about this one, it's not an in your face quality of the beer like the flavor is but it's there, solid and malty...at least enough to balance the brew and keep you coming back for more. Basically the malt in here=body, but no sweetness which is completely fine with me.

Hell yea it's drinkable, this is my third one tonight! Highly recommended offering from stone if you're looking to grab a sixer of something new or something great.

dwilson01, Apr 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%

A beer haiku for you:

IPA? OK;
Solid effort but not great:
Worthwhile sipping ale.

Not a bad IPA--just not as good as a few of it's peers nor it's other family members [Stone, that is]. Perhaps I am a little critical tonight, but my excitement in trying another Stone offering fell a little flat. Don't mean to harsh this beer--just not a home run.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Apr 17, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally, after years of waiting, got to try Stone IPA after a buddy picked up a sixer at the local store. This one definitely didn't disappoint. I had already been lucky to try the regular Stone Pale Ale, and was a little surprised by this one.

The apperance was a nice gold color; the PA has a deep, almost blood-color to it, and I was expecting this to be just a hoppier version of that. Sure was wrong. Stone, in their brilliance decided to really make this a beer of it's own, rather than just defaulting to an existing grain bill.

Poured a nice 1 and a half finger head that stuck around. Was expecting a little more aroma than what was presented, but still was good.

Taste is where it's at. The grains used provide a very sturdy backbone to the beer. A bit of hop oil seems to stick on the tongue, and overall the hops do not dominate this, but rather mix nicely for a combo of citrus, floral, and spice.

Goes down very smoothly, although I did start to notice a little alcohol note towards the bottom of the glass. Not enough to put me off, but enough to give me pause and respect for this. Not something I would pound two or three of down in a sitting, but a good opener beer for something a little more sessionable. Just a well crafted IPA from a brewery that I keep discovering really has their sh*t together. I'm so glad this one will now be a regular option at the store.

Prostman81, Apr 16, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Love to visit Stone Brewing since there is always something new in the works, being food and beer.

Stone IPA is one of a kind as it pours amber/orange with a nice thick frothy head as I love to dip my nose to the ever present aroma of thick hops... (on that note... if there ever was a shaving creme with thick hop aroma, beer geeks rejoice)

Taste: Hops explode in your mouth as the sweetness of the malts balance out the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, bitterness fades as the sweet malt and slight cabonation blends it all well.

Drinkability: Hop heads rejoice... This brew goes very well with spicy Mexican food as hops bite through the burning sensation of the tongue almost nubing the burn... Sip this brew all night with some spicy salsa and chips.

Bajasith, Apr 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Pours a really nice hazy yellow/orange with a 1 finger white head. Head has mild retention but nice lacing all the way down.

S: Citrus and some piney as well as floral hops. Faint sweetness from the malts.

T: Strong citrusy flavors with some piney and sweet malt undertones. Well balanced with a hop kick and a dry finish - great for the style.

M: Medium carbonation. Sticky but with a drying finish.

D: Great for 6.9%. Don't think I could get through more than 22oz, but the hops aren't overwhelming.

RevereBeer, Apr 15, 2010
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.