Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a clear golden color with a decent one finger head in my Sam Adams ale glass. Medium lacing down the glass.
Smell was very cirtus-like, grass, pine, hops galour. Taste was similar; very much up front with the bitter citrus flavor, remaining bitter all the way down, as a solid IPA should.
Mouthfeel was smooth and enjoyable. Drinkability is good, as this one is very delicious.

BeTheBall, Jun 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Another delicious Stone hopbomb.

A small white head covers a dark golden brew. Decent retention and some lacing on the glass. Aromas of fresh squeezed citrus, and bready malts to balance. Very floral and delicious...I can't wait to take a sip! And when I do, it's incredibly hoppy with tons of West Coast florals and herbals. I can taste such a great amount of hops...it really dominates my palate and not much else can pull through (in the true Stone style). Medium body mouthfeel offers my mouth tons of residuals, so that I can hang on to the bitterness. I would buy a 6er of this brew without thinking twice about it. Another great Stone offering that adheres to everything expected from a West Coast IPA.

washburnkid, Jun 23, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Slightly hazy burnt yellow with foamy head and pretty strong lacing.

Smell: Pine and citrus, slightly sweet toasted malts. Some tropical notes.

Taste: Fantastic hop taste - mostly pine, citrus, mango and some grapefruit. Some mostly dry malts to counterbalance the hop explosion, but not too much. Persistent bitterness at end.

Feel: Very smooth and very dry. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: For being so hop-centric and bitter, this is unbelievably easy to drink.

This has now become one of my top IPAs, along with Celebration and Two-Hearted.

bsp77, Jun 23, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Hey, this Stone IPA has become my standard beer in my fridge bought by the case. While I like really hoppy and bitter IPAs, this beer is bitter enough and so drinkable. I actually look forward to popping the cap without wishing it were a different beer.

The IPA pours nicely into a glass with a great brown color. I find the aroma pleasant and the first and last taste delightful.

efhart, Jun 23, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

12 oz. bottle (enjoy by 7/8/09) poured into SN pint glass...hazy piss yellow body with three fingers of white rocky head. Decent lacing and head retention...

I love hops! Huge splashes of grapefruit and notes of citrusy hops with a touch of peppery spiciness. Some caramel and pineapple as well...

Bitter little demon! A bit bready with the slightest bits of citrus that gives way to a nice bitter finish. Minute amount of malts peaking through...

Slick and buttery with a good bite of carbonation.

Definitely a quaffer. I could do a couple of these in a sitting.

Overall, I think this one smells better than it tastes. In a world of amazing IPAs, this one is a slight step down. A great brew, however, just not a world famous IPA in my book. Drink it fresh!!

BitterPachyderm, Jun 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Alright so this was actually a very good beer in my opinion except the taste was a bit lacking.
Appearance is very good, nice billowing head with lots of lacing. Smell is very citrusy lots of grapefruit and lemon. There are some underlying dry hops as well. Taste was good but not great in my opinion. NOt one of the more bitter IPA's I have had. Mouthfeel was better, oily and slightly carbonated. The positive side was this was the most drinkable IPA I have ever had- it goes down so easy

supercolter, Jun 20, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a 22 fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a very light copper color with a three inch slightly off-white head. Great head retention that leave scattered amounts of lacing all throughout my glass. This is one of those heads that go down in places(like rocky).

I pick up a slight citrus smell and caramel malts, biscuit, honey with a slight pepperness s

Minimal citrus flavor with the malt character mainly dominating this one. What is it with this? I seem to have been having bad luck with IPAs recently.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Had better IPAs and wont seek this one again.

tr4nc3d, Jun 18, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Tasted on June 15, 2009.

Omg... this is one of the best beer I drank. So nicely done.

A: Simply beautiful. A copper color with a tiny head. I bigger head would be great.
S: Strong aroma of hops which make you think the taste will be a bomb of hops.
T: Bitterness... I would say hops bitterness. The most surprising it was a medium intensity taste. The hops are piny with some citrus. Very nice tasting.
D:Very easy to drink.

Again, Stone has achieved almost perfection with this beer. One of my top 5 beers.

ZorPrime, Jun 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Another Stone beer that I have had many times. Reviewing from notes taken at my last Stone beer night. Poured into a Stone Pint glass. Pours an orange-caramel into the glass, with a frothy head, and wonderful lacing. The aroma has all you'd expect: grapefruit, citrus, pine, and flowery. The taste has exactly the same qualities. There is a light caramel sweetness mixed with the huge hop presence. It has a very nice, refreshingly creamy finish that I loved. Truly, one of the best IPA's.

atpben, Jun 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +4%

The color is a bright golden-amber. The head is like a fluffy pillow that could have rested a reasonable weight without giving way and never fully dissipated, leaving small patches of thick lacing throughout the glass. It's very appealing already.
Pure, clean floral and citrus hops are straight on the nose with a bit of spice.
Hops bitterness is right up front...the pureness of raw bud is very appealing. There's a fantastic freshness in the citrus, heavily grapefruit, and pine resin. Herbal notes are strong as well and the underlying zesty spice is very nice as well. There are some grains and an herbal leaf note in a very dry finish with lingering hops bitterness that never fades.
The mouthfeel is a nice balance of smooth and crisp and the body is moderate. Carbonation is light to moderate, very much present without overwhelming.
I dare say this is a purist's brew and a standard for IPAs. ABV is a little deceiving, but low enough that this one can be sessioned with some frequency.

Brenden, Jun 16, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle poured into a weissen glass.

It pours a great ipa amber color with a fluffy head.

I am not norally a huge fan of IPAs but wow. This is a great beer. It has a hoppy smell with some mixes of fruits, possibly grapefruit, a bit of lemon. felt like a meduim beer but flowed so smooth. the after taste was strong, but not overwhelming hops like most IPA's. It was a great mix and kept me coming back for another sip.

Anthony1, Jun 15, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +4%

Session with this frequently, but this review was from a bomber from Stone, fresh brewed within a few days, poured into a pint glass. Not a huge difference between store-bought (granted I'm living in San Diego), but it's great on-tap, out of the bottle, etc.

Appearance: Great IPA color and head. Foam isn't overwhelming, but holds great flavor and smell as well. Definitely great, but nothing particularly outstanding or better than any other great IPA.

Smell: Good. Very nice. Light citrus notes in with the hops, and when I think IPA, it's what I think of. Having had a few more floral and fragrant IPAs of late, it's not mind-blowing, but still very good.

Taste: Great. Really like this taste. It's less bitter than some other IPAs out there, but still so delicious and well-balanced hop and barley character. The hop presence is definitely felt, but not overwhelming, just a solid and delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: What an IPA should be like, and really smooth. Crisp and opens up in the mouth well, with a nice swallow as well. Carbonation is great for the sip too.

Drinkability: Session-worthy much. Could drink this all day, but the ABV is more present here at 6.9 than I feel like Pliny the Elder is at an 8, but smooth and delicious nonetheless. Really just a fantastic IPA, and I'm more than happy if ever offered one.

nomomentwasted, Jun 15, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +4%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. A very nice, slightly hazy orange-amber ale with a thick light tan head. Seriously nice gooey-looking head with tons of sticky lacing left on the glass as it fades slowly.

A nice pine-spice aroma of hops, with a bit of the citrus touch as well. Some sweet malt and caramel backing this up, but it's mostly about the earthy hops. The taste starts with the big pine-hop bite, some malt balances this out nicely in the middle, and then the hops turn bitter and harsh towards the finish with the bitter kick lingering for upwards of thirty seconds after a sip.

Big bodied, viscous, and a fair bit of a carbonation bite in the back of the throat. Nice. All of this works very well together in this great drinkable IPA.

ZimZamZoom, Jun 14, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours an orangish yellow, nice creamy head that leaves great lacing. Smells of very floral hops, grapefruit, citrus, pansies, orange, cannabis. Tastes of hoppy moderately sweet malt with a nice citrusy bitterness. Same aromas picked up in the taste, not too much malt. Finishes dry with a resiny hoppiness in the back of the throat.

An absolute amazing beer, so many aromas and flavors from the hops. Just enough malt character to somewhat balance the beer, but overall, hops galore. Definitely my favorite IPA.

bum732, Jun 13, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clear golden color with a frothy white head that clings to the edges in clumps. Some slight citrus and malt scents bring great balance. Taste is just like the nose. A little citrus and piney hops along with some great malt flavors. Overall this is quite a refreshing and prefectly balanced IPA. I'm excited that they are coming to Louisiana at the end of the summer!

ShrLSU, Jun 12, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

I've had this quite a few times on tap at bars and have always liked it, but this is my first 6 pack because it's a couple bucks more than many other IPAs and I'm cheap. After tasting this again, I think it's worth it.

Appearance: Pretty IPA color. Nice head gone after a few minutes, but lacing is left.

Smell: Hops... Smells like an IPA.. but a little nuttier maybe. It's a good smell.

Taste: Taste like an IPA. Leaves a bite of bitter for quite a few seconds (perhaps minutes).

Mouthfeel: Nice and carbonated.

Drinkibility: I think after a couple it would start being too "rich" like many IPAs.

ders, Jun 11, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Gold orange color. Two finger head. Nice web of lacing that sticks around to the finish.

Smell: Hops... Pine, citrus, Hops.

Taste: Hops are what you would expect. Pine and citrus. Great balance. Lingering bitterness. Not too dry on the end.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation. Fairly light in body.

Drinkibility: I can't leave this one alone. It is a perfectly balanced IPA. I could drink this one every day.

jbhuxley, Jun 11, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into standard pint glass
Hazy gold in color, big, fluffy two-inch head that beckons
Aroma-Piney citrus and hops up the nose
Taste-Big,fresh, juicy hops up front, in the middle, and at the finish! Nicely balanced throughout, just a delicious IPA.
Overall this is a hop lover's IPA, and a good starting off point for a person who has never had a Stone brew (what are you waiting for??) as most of their other ale are quite assertive in character to say the least!
Get Some!!!

hosehead83, Jun 10, 2009

had this for the first time today--not a big IPA fan, but this is a good one that will lead me to have others.

A: nice appearance. golden color, a little hazy. nice head with good lacing. A good looking bier.
S: a very subdued smell. Other IPAs hit you from 3 feet away with the hoppy smell, this is inviting and subdued.
T: The smell doesn't prepare you for the taste! In a good way! It is very hoppy, but doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste or extreme dryness.
M: not tinny or high in acid content, a good mouthfeel.
D: I could have a few of these at a time. As I stated, this is not my favorite style, but I would not turn down this bier...

I recommend this fine bier, one of the best IPAs I have tried. Do yourself a favor and try one. PRosit!

nocheinsbitte, Jun 09, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Stone IPA is by far one of the finest india pale ales that I have ever had. It has the heavy hops one comes to expect from an IPA, but it's smooth and far less abrasive than other brewers takes on IPA. It's a drag that you can't get Stone in Illinois, but well worth the drive to pick up a few bombers.

charliedango, Jun 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from 12oz. Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a crystal clear glowing orange with a fantastic slightly off-white creamy head. Aroma has caramel malt, granny smith apple and touches of citrus hops. Flavor has more of the citrus hops upfront with some light malts and a very light bitterness that doesn't dominated. its light to medium bodied with a very light carbonation. Very nicely done IPA, doesn't really stand out from most but the aroma is unique.

DiabolikDUB, Jun 07, 2009

Stone IPA - 6/03/09

Clear gold in color, lots of bubbles racing to the surface. Monstrous frothy white head.

Smells strongly of citrus hops, almost to the point of having a "bite" to it. Not a whole lot else going on, but it's got everything I want in those citrus hops!

Very strong on the hops but not over the top. Not what I would call balanced, but certainly has a delicate nature to its intensity. Again, it is really the citrus hops that come through, not a lot from the malt in terms of flavor.

Medium to light body, plenty of carbonation - an easy drinker for sure. Exactly what I want for an extended summer evening.

I'm glad to finally get a chance to see what this beer is all about. Certainly didn't disappointed, maybe I wish I had found it sooner. Definitely a safe go-to for my citrus hop fix!

JimmieFrisbee, Jun 05, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Golden orange pour with a nice tight glass lace and single finger head layer.
S: Floral hops. Dull lemons and orange.
T: The cirtus in the hops is a bit more pronounce in the taste. Earthy and hay like.
M: Crisp, dry. Great carbonation.
D: A go-to IPA. Top notch west coast beer.

d0ggnate, Jun 04, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It poured a straw (yellowish/orange) color with lots of carbonation and a thin white head that disappeared quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Hops and a strong grapefruit fragrance

T - A good grapefruit taste that is only mildly bitter a little piney. The bitterness lingers for a minute but I enjoy it.

D - I tend to like IPAs with a good citrus or grapefruit profile to them so I really like this. I drank a few of these the other night without realizing it.

slatetupelo, Jun 01, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Picked up a growler Thursday at the brewery for $8.

Beer poured a light orange with a nice white head. Nose is huge with floral northwest hops. Taste is grapefruit hops, pine, and a hint of mango and bread in the background. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and is leaving a resiny layer on my palate. Drinkability is quite good, this is still one of my favorite IPA's!

arizcards, May 31, 2009
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.