Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Beer/Brewery - Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)\Stone Brewing Co.
City/State- Escondido, California
STYLE – American IPA
ABV – 6.9%
IBU – 77
DATE – 11 JUN 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Tall Footed Pilsner
APPEARANCE – Clear Golden Honey yellow - Poured with a great head that dissipated down to ½ where it stayed - Nice lacing
AROMA- Hoppy… Just hops
TASTE – A crisp hoppiness right off the bat with a bitterness in the back of the throat
MOUTHFEEL – Real good carbonation but not over the top, very light
CONCLUSION – I do not drink a lot of IPAs, so my conclusion is not the best to build off of. For an IPA to me this was good. The aroma scared me but the flavor was not too powerful with the hops. I could see myself drinking this again, not every day, but I would not say no to it like I would of in the past
-JH-

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a golden/orange color with a 1 inch head. Smell is dominated by hops. Taste is also very hoppy, considerable bitterness, lacking in the citrus notes found in most IPA's. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Chico State "University Bar" pint glass.

A: Golden maple color.
S: Rich and aromatic with strong lingering hops.
T: Potent but not overpowering. Excellent smooth finish.
M: Perfect carbonation without the "prickle" most IPA's have.
O: One of my top 5 all time beers. Delicious and full of flavor.

If you love California IPA's you all ready know about this beer.

Stone IPA is the pinnacle of SoCal IPA's.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a gorgeous deep gold in my snifter. Perfect creamy barely off- white head. Very well rounded nose with smooth hop citrus, pine and grass. Smooth sweetness up front with delicious hop bitterness in the middle and a nice dry finish. Carbonation is spot- on with a lightly sticky mouthfeel. Super drinkable for a 6.9 ABV. Alcohol warms the belly but does not interfere with the taste. Excellent!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Enjoyed on-tap @ the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO for $6. Poured from the Black Tap Handle saying" Stone IPA" into a pint glass. Has a Keg Date of 4-1-11.

Aroma- Very nice citrus hop with a ton of fruit hanging around. Can smell a bready aroma as well.

Appearance- Poured a 2.5 finger of creamy, white head and has a hazy, dark golden body. Has huge lace that leaves thick rings.

Taste- A very nice, refreshing hop taste and has a nice maltiness to it as well. Has light grapefruit taste in the finish. Would like to try again to add more attributes!

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, and smooth!

Overall Impression- Such a great balanced IPA! Excited because this is the 3rd Stone beer we have had in the past month @ the Wolf Public House and all of them are fan favorites. Easy drinkability with this one and will be enjoying more!

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

Excellent go-to IPA. Tangy, crisp, fruity, & refreshing.

Poured from chilled 12oz bottle into tasting glass.

A: Buttery pale golden color, just slightly cloudy, with virtually no head.
S: Extraordinary fruit aroma fairly dances to the nose!
T: Fruit-tastic, crisp, multi-tonal herbals with a nice hop kick.
M: Somewhat thin, which contributes to the high drinkability factor.
O: Begs for a hot day and a BBQ.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

This is an old standby, a crisp and clean IPA with a bit of a sweet finish. Appearance is a deep straw color. It has a somewhat passive aroma but a big flavor. It's always in the running for growler fills when I'm down at Stone.

Pairs extremely well with burgers and fries.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful golden yellow color with about a half inch of head with superb retention. This color is gorgeous

S - Smells super citrusy (and hoppy of course), bitter smelling and orange peels must be the citrus smell. Piney notes present as is sweetness from malt present after really searching for it

T - Tastes nice and hoppy with again orange citrus tastes, quite dry; very refreshing. Herbal hops obvious as well. Malty sweetness makes appearance just before the finish

M - A little on the lighter side (4 out of 10), well carbonated, super dirnkable

O - I like this beer even more than I remembered, maybe I should start considering it one of my favorite ipas again - at least for the summer

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Pale golden color with a thin layer of frothy white head on top.
Smell- very hoppy/piney and bits of citrus.
Taste- Hoppy from start to finish.. very good creamy mouth feel too. If you love hops then this beer is for you. This beer is pretty straight forward... not a lot of complexities... just hops and more hops.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Served from a 22oz bomber into a tulip.

A: very clear, medium yellow color, no haze at all.

S: Lots of piny hops in this one, typical for most west coast ipa's, all piny no fruit smell at all.

T: Freshly poured(while cold) all I am getting is the piny hops, didn't really like the flavor profile my first couple sips. Flavor actualy improves as it warms slightly.

D: Very easy drinker, goes down very smooth, light mouthful

Overall I thought this one was pretty decent, the 1st couple sips kind of turned me off but I it warmed slightly the taste got a lot better.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

498th review on BA
Draft to pint
@BJ's

App- A nice golden yellow with a one finger head and the top of the glass had a nice cling to it.

Smell- As far as IPA's go this one is the godfather to me. Big strong bitter citrus.

Taste- Still a classic. It's orange peel with some bitter and a little creamy malts with a big bitter taste.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Leaves a bitter and malty after taste.

Drink- I'll always come back to this one. Such a classic example of what a single IPA can and should be. Everyone getting into IPA's should have this.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Freshy fresh growler fill Friday!!!

A: Pours a clear bright straw pale with some caramel tones and a nice 1 finger frothy white head with clinging lace.

S: Smells of fruity citrus hops and a nice clean yeast profile.

T: Nice hoppy punch of citrus and pine. Well balanced with a decent caramel maltiness that carries a residual sweetness throughout each drink. Dries out the mouth with some pucker and gives off just a tad of heat.

M: Overall a light medium body that has some residual stickiness on the tongue. Dries up on the finish.

D: An excellent bold IPA that is incredibly smooth and quite sessionable.

Probably a standard in the American IPA category. A showcase of a very well balanced brew. Hoppy but not offensive to the palate in any way with a solid malt base to balance it out.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler.

A: Pours a straw yellow with a perfect white head.

S: Spicy and citrus hops with a bit of sweetness.

T: A nice blast of hops. Seriously, this is the quintessential hop bomb IPA.

D: Crisp, bitter, and extremely refreshing. Alcohol is perfectly hidden and hops are intriguing and ultimately very satisfying.

Overall: A total classic; one of the IPAs that all other IPAs are measured against.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

A- Very light for an IPA. Slightly chalky with a light copper glow. Love the bottle look with the devil and the green.

S- Very strong floral notes, only a slight hint of citrus. As far as the hoppy smell goes, it is perfect. Strong marijuana-skunk smell.

T- Exceptional bitter bite. Still very strong on the floral notes in the taste of the beer. One taste made me thirstier.

M- Not too heavy, not too light. Just the right about of crispy carbonated bite to compliment the bitterness of the hops.

O- This is a great IPA. This would be my go to beer for drinking IPA's but it is not very readily available in my area. I must try more beers from this brewery.

Exceptional IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The best IPA ever in appearance. Cloudy like a hefeweizen. Great layer of cotton-like foam as well.

Smell: Honey and hops. An excellent standardness that works supremely.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Dry hop taste with an apricot-like taste to it. Mouthfeel is supremely crisp as well. This gets better at the end. Lots of yeastiness.

Drinkability: A great session IPA.

Overall: See drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer hold a special place in my heart. My buddy took me out for my 21st birthday a few years back, and ordered this for me as my first craft beer. I had no Idea what "I.P.A." was or that their were more breweries outside of the evil "Big Beer" companies, Sam Adams, or PA. Breweries.

I was a virgin beer drinker to say the least. I took one sip of this thought "My God, why would you drink this?" I finished it as I was told... I did my best to avoid I.P.A.'s for over a year. I got the idea to experiment with them, not entirely sure how/why, Dogfish 90 minute/Southern Tier come to mind as to why I started to enjoy I.P.A. beer.

That brings me back to this brew. Now that I can say "I enjoy I.P.A., I had to review the beer that brought me into the world of I.P.A. Since I've rambled enough, I'll keep it simple. This beer is angry, hateful, and if you've had a bad day, pop one of these open because they will channel all that aggression into good I.P.A. This beer is aggressive, and angry, yet relaxing and mellowing. It brings a hop-heavy, malt aroma, how a good beer should smell. I personally find that many I.P.A.s taste "Scummy" like algae in a pool, but this I.P.A. is as clean as a double I.P.A.

My favorite Single I.P.A.!

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

App: Clear yellow body with a fluffy white head and nice thick lacing.

Smell: Citrusy and hoppy, very fresh smelling.

Taste: Initially starts with some grapefruit and citrusy hops and smooths out to a nice biscuity and malty finish. Very well balanced while being able to keep alot of intriguing flavors.

MF: Nice an crisp, creamy and refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Deep amber color with a single fingered foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Little bit of lacing.

S - Bready, touch of pine.

T - Grapefruit and pine. I enjoy this IPA and I would recommend it to those who enjoy this style brew. Very clean and refreshing taste, with the abundant hop flavor lingering on the tongue.

M - Ample carbonation, medium body. Hops stay on the tongue for the duration.

O - Like many people, I enjoy Stone's brews. They are uniformly excellent and their IPA is no exception. I could drink this anytime.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into the DFH snifter.

Appearance is translucent deep amber/copper with a thick, condensed whitest of white heads (great retention throughout) - truly a good looking beer. Smell contains strong citrus notes, some floral and some toastiness as well, I can't quite put a finger on it. Up front the taste is herbal and piney...hops are there, but not full blown...flavor is great and the bitterness comes through on the finish. Mouthfeel is what I like to call snappy. Decent carbonation that tickles your mouth, not too thick, not too thin. The balance of this beer is the ultimate strength but the complexity makes for an intriguing experience. Just a great beer overall with great drinkability.

To sum up in three words: Dry hopped awesomeness.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Stone imperial pint glass. Best by date of 7/14/11.

A-Pours a cloudy honey orangy color with a nice frothy head and lacing all the way down the glass.

S-Nice fresh citrus hops, pine and maybe lemon? Very faint malt smell.

T-The citrus/grapefruit taste hits you first. I get a little of the lemon that I smelled. I also get a little bit of the malt, but it finishes like an IPA should...bitter.

M-Good carbonation, goes down smooth.

O-Very good brew, many more of these will be consumed in my lifetime.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a fair one and a half fingers worth of fairly creamy fluffy off white head. Body is a nice pale/golden and a touch hazy. Smell is a mixture of floral notes, pine, citrus and some carmel. Tastes is mostly resinous piney hops, some carmel, some floral tastes. This is somewhat complex and pleasing to my palate. Medium/thin bodied, medium carbonation. The finish is medium dry, a bit of astringency, a good amount of lingering resinous coating hop bitterness. The lingering piney slick and coating finish detracts from this one. Overall is good but not great.
$2.20 a single.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

This is a really good IPA, but I must give it slightly lower marks than the Full Sail that I just finished. To me, the Stone has a bit of a toasted bread flavor, while the Full Sail is more melon and grass. They're both excellent, and I would be excited to discover either in the fridge, but I'm leaning toward the Full Sail. That being said, the Stone does have a mouthfeel, the word "structure" comes to mind, that is perfectly in balance. I can see why so many others rate it an "A".

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz into DFH signature glass. Best by June 11; reviewed May 11.

Pours cloudy golden, small head that leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is lots of different hop aromas, but none very strong: an orange/citrus Centennial quality, some pine, some grass, earthiness.

Taste is a lot of orange/grapefruit flavors from the Centennial hops, a bit of sweet malt beneath, and a bunch of herbal and pine hop flavors notable as well. Bitterness hits after the swallow and lingers. Hoppy, but the hops don't smack you in the face like I remember them doing when I had this before I had had many IPAs. Still a good hop-forward IPA, though.

Mouthfeel is a titch watery and not escessive, mildly carbonated, and works well with the beer.

Overall, this one is a good IPA. It's not my favorite out of California, but one I find myself still buying every now and then.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a nice yellow orange color, like a school bus paint job. Moderate opacity; I can barely make out the shadows of my fingers through the glass. A little over one finger of sudsy white head leaves adequate lacing. It's unspectacular but pretty.

Classic IPA aromas, delivered with intensity. Grapefruit and pine for days. A lush nectarine component comes off strongly. Not much malt character to speak of on the nose, which is A-OK with me. The alcohol spikes a little bit for me on the nose, which is unexpected given an ABV just under 7%. It's straight-forward but certainly good. Apart from the weird alcohol note, this is a textbook West Coast American IPA aroma profile.

The taste follows the nose. Plenty of acerbic pine bitterness. Some Five Alive action going on: a whole basket of oranges and tangerines and grapefruits. Just a gentle kiss of honey-sweet crystal malt. It's certainly a West Coast IPA; the malt seems there for the pine resin to play off of more than anything. Again, this IPA doesn't bring a lot of innovation to the table. But it executes classic flavors. Good stuff.

My favorite thing about a lot of West Coast IPAs is the thin bodies on them. I love love love love an IPA that is thin like hop water. It's indicative of less malt, sure, but the thinness works for me to accentuate the hop flavors. Stone IPA has the sort of thin mouthfeel that I love. It's not watery, just lean. The carbonation is nice and prickly. If anything, I have to knock it a half-point because it gets a little thick on the swallow.

Back in the early part of the 2000s, before I got into beer, I imagine that this was considered a top-tier IPA. It still should be. Stone has never distributed to where I live (though where I used to live, Kansas City, just started receiving Stone beers). Whenever I'd be in a city that has Stone, I'd always pass up the IPA in favor of bigger, rarer offerings. So this is my first Stone IPA. I wish I'd have had one sooner. It's a lovely example of the American IPA style. It'd be a mainstay of my fridge if I lived within Stone's distribution.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Date Drunk: 12/6/10

12oz into pint glass

A: Beautiful orange-yellowish color with one of the best heads on an IPA.
S: Hops, hops, and more piney hops fill the air. I need an air freshener of this in my car.
T: Grapefruit, lemon zest, floral flavors with a smooth pine aftertaste. Not for a beginner, but is a perfect balance of hops and citrus.
M: Creamy mouth-feel with some medium carbonation.
O: I could drink this everyday, all year round until I ran out of money. Hands down, this is in my top 3 of IPAs.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.