Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A. pours a cloudy golden color - clean white foam laces the glass

S. clean hoppy smell with pine and grapefruit

T. citrusy hoppy favor but a not crazily hopped - nice aftertaste

M. medium bodied

D. a crisp IPA - very drinkable

nice citrusy IPA

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours a cloudy copper orange with a moundy white head that lives long. Notch line lacing.

S - Pine needles, lime, grapefruit, mint, thyme, hints of sweet malt.

T - Grapefruit rind rushes over the palate taking over the back of the throat. It mellows out and lets the malt in for a split second and then takes back over towards the finish. Hints of herbal spearmint like hops show up as well. Finishes like you brushed your teeth with a grapefruit.

M - Medium bodied.

This beer is bursting with fruit flavor! You would expect a ton of bitterness out of such intense hops but the flavor is much more prominent than the bitterness. Very intense flavor without the crazy bitterness.
This is a corner"stone" IPA.

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

What is it with me and Stone. I just can't wrap my head around their hop profiling. I love the RIS, Smoked Porter and Old Guardian, but I just don't like (m)any of their main offerings.

Poured into my pint glass. Nice foamy head, respectable lacing throughout the session.

Smell, typical stone hopped smell. Like this dysfunctional marriage of pine and citrus.

Taste is more of the same. Very piny, with some bastardized sour citrus thrown in.

Mouthfeel can best be described as "blech" as the sourness lingers from a relatively syrupy beer.

Got to be one of my least favorite IPAs. If you are forced to drink this against your will, I would suggest letting it warm way up. I drank the second half of the bomber at damn near room temperature, and it was much more palatable that way. I have had more than one of these, but I bought this bomber specifically to review it. Won't be buying anymore in the future. It's not all Stone's fault; there is some STEEP competition out here on the west coast. Just goes to show that any gorilla can dump a truck load of hops into the brewing vat. It takes an artist to carefully choreograph the delicate balance that makes a beer truly great.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

I've had the Stone Arrogant Bastard in a 22oz bomber and enjoyed the extreme hoppiness of it. I was in the distributor deciding to either go with my everyday IPA (DFH 60) or try something new. Went with the Stone IPA. Served in a DFH Signature glass.

A-Nice amber color. Slightly cloudy but not off putting. Lots of carbonation rising from my glass. Nice lacing left on the side of the glass.

S-Nice citrusy smell mixed with a sweet, hoppy smell.

T-Definitely more on the hoppy side than the DFH 60 which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's a nice grapefruit or citrusy taste mixed in which is pretty common with many of the IPA's I've tried.

M-Nicely carbonated. Leaves a slightly bitter taste in the mouth after each sip.

D-Tough call...I liked this beer a lot BUT not as much as my DFH 60. I don't know quite what it is but if given the choice in the future, I'd rather have a DFH 60 or even a Founder's Centennial IPA or Lagunitas IPA. That being said, I'll have no problem finishing off my case. Worth a try for sure...

Cheers!

3.08/5  rDev -27%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Yellow with a creamy head.

S. Odd hop aroma that is somewhat off-putting.

T. Piney

M. Bitting carbonation that nearly completely disappears half way through the session.

D. Eh - I'm not a fan of the flavor or aroma profile. I'll pass this up.

My lowest scored IPA of the night (under Jai Alai, Alesmith, Sculpin, Columbus, Furious, Two Hearted, Founders Centennial, and Red Racer)

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz. bottle poured into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy light orange with 2 fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and some lacing. Some sediment seen in the glass.

S: Some citrus hops.

T: Grapefruit with a nice lingering bitterness.

M: Mouthfeel and carbonation are both perfect for an IPA.

D: Excellent, a crisp refreshing IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle

A - Pours a cloudy light caramel-color with half a finger of frothy white head. Considerable sediment is apparent throughout. Fantastic lacing on my pint glass.

S- Mostly pine hops with some citrus hops thrown in.

T - Hops are actually not that pronounced, thought their flavor does last. The malt character is nice, and the finish includes a very appealing breadyness. Well balanced and delicious, but not as hoppy as I expected -- probably not the best IPA for hop heads.

M - Actually a bit thin for my tongue. Good carbonation with bubbles that just keep on coming.

D - Oh yes. Very tasty with that lovely finish that is actually a bit warming. Easy to down and would be wonderful to session. Good competition for 60-Minute in that respect.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

S: Spicy, citrusy hop aroma dominates. Low caramel malt aroma in support, but definitely a hop-forward beer.

A: Pale amber. Hazy, didn't clear even on warming. Good initial off-white head fades, but leaves a persistent thin layer of foam.

T: Complex hop bitterness and citrusy hop flavor dominates. Enough malt character to barely balance the hops, but decidedly a hoppy beer! Dry, bitter finish.

MF: Medium to high carbonation is a plus. Medium body, bitter, lingering dry finish.

D: Very drinkable for a hophead.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

On tap poured into a straight sided glass. A golden yellow with a finger of head initially that dissipates very quickly. Good carbonation visible through the clear beer, but it doesn't help feed the head.

Nose is citrus peel, lemon and grapefruit, with an herbal mix that makes it fairly pleasant. Mostly rosemary. Some malt also detected but very light.

Taking a sip, the taste follows the nose early on the tongue. The taste continues through to the aftertaste that lingers lightly after swallowing. A nice flavor profile that isn't overly bitter.

Light bodied beer is nice enough to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A- light golden color, slightly translucent, huge, beautiful off-white head that doesn't want to leave. Crazy lacing as I drink it and as the head settles.

S- floral and citrus hops. Citrus is more lemon/lime than grapefruit. Some pine notes as well.

T- Citrus/lemon hops come through first. I want to drink this beer as fast as I can. Some grassy notes as well, but I'm having trouble taking the time to describe the taste when I just want to finish the glass.

M- medium bodied, leaves a hop aftertaste but it's not unpleasant.

D- Very drinkable, absolutely lovely. I've been waiting to try this and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. A very good IPA, a very good beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Pours a vibrant golden color with subtle shades of amber. A nice lace that lasts throughout the session

S - Piny hop aroma.

T - Piny hop flavor with undertones of citrus. Didn't have a strong malt flavor

M - Light and dry.

D - Its light enough to drink all night, but be careful because it hides its alcohol well.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Aroma here is of a lot of pine trees. Really. Very hoppy...if there are any malts in there, they're hiding.

Pours a golden color with a fluffy, white head on it. Fair thickness...good lacing.

What's somewhat surprising about this beer is that the hops are not entirely all THAT bitter on the taste. I guess they saved that for Ruination. The bitterness is actually fairly standard for an IPA. Stronger than some, weaker than others. From the start, there's a good pine resin, oily hoppiness that envelopes the tongue...it fades a little in the middle of the swallow, only to come back just as bitter on the finish with notes of grapefruit. The bitterness lasts a bit into the aftertaste as well in a small way. On the finish, there is a bit of creamy malt (and I do mean a little) showing up, but is still definitely behind the hops. I will also add that the mouthfeel is definitely thicker than what I'd expect most IPA's to be.

I'm surprised about this beer, to be quite honest. Stone has done a solid job of creating a good IPA here, without going too far.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice clear amber color and with a good, fluffy head with the fat bubbles I like so much. I love it when the bubbles are varied in size and can take a long time to pop. Excellent lacing.

Good nose. I suppose if I couldn't get a lot of the CA IPAs, I would think this is nirvana. From my perspective though it's still a good but not outstanding classic west coast IPA smell. Piney/citrusy hops and a malt undercurrent.

Very similar taste with a lingering bitterness characteristic of Stone beers. I like the balance here, and the flavor is distinct from all of the other IPAs I've had.

Good mouthfeel, although it did have a slight building bitterness. Not overwhelming, but a little disconcerting since I excpected it to get out of control.

Very drinkable, and highly recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everything an IPA should be. Stone never disappoints me.

Pale golden color, with a lovely white head with good lacing. Very bold citrus and pine, with a good sweet malt balance. Leaves a wonderfully dry finish, making you crave more. A great all around IPA that is enjoyable all year round

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a nice Amber colored body, with a decent sizes creamy white head. Little bit of lacing that hangs out for a bit. Not much carbination, which could be a challange on this one.

Aromas are very present on this one. Very heavy with a citris hops aroma in the forefront of this one. Its followed up with some other aromas as well...being some some caramels, oranges, and a trail of a floral hops as well.

The taste on this brew is very good. The first sip of this brew has a nice hoppy flavor to it. It follows up with a strong presence of grapefruit and a hint of orange mixed as well. Its sweet and bitter all at once, which makes this a very interesting beer. Its very nice finish.

The mouthful is great on this west coast born IPA. Its crisp and smooth and has the perfect bitterness that you expect from an IPA. Spices sit well and give you that bit of a bite you are looking for. Nice medium body and little carbination, which actually helps round out this beer.

Drinkability is good. This wouldn't be a great session beer due to the higher ABV, but it goes down smooth and I would definitly have it again. I will have to try some more brews by Stone Brewing Company.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

This is another world class beer from Stone. Take it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes or so before opening it, then lavish yourself in the beautiful floral aroma of hops. It's readily available in six packs in my area, so I'm spoiled. It has the hoppy, citrusy flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA. I've used this beer on four occassions to introduce a BMC type to real beer. Each time was successful.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Hazy amber body, with a nice creamy beige head. Good head retention and some lacing. No visible carbonation to speak of.

S - West Coast-style citrus hoppiness. Juicy grapefruit, oranges, and some floral notes. Also hints of caramel, apple, and sour dough. Pretty hop-forward but not one-dimensional.

T - First you get a good hop bite, with very apparent grapefruit notes and a hint of orange. Then sweetness, breadiness, and bitterness come in all at once. The finish is bitter and bready, with a little tartness. Very tasty!

M - Light-to-medium body to it. Not very carbonated. Quite dry in the mouth, though. A little spiciness from the hops can be felt on the tongue. A little hint of alcohol.

D - Pretty good drinkability, however, I wouldn't make this my session IPA, because of its dryness and its ABV. Goes down smooth at first, but then it may become more challenging to drink, especially if you're not a hophead.

Overall, I agree that this is one of the finer examples of the style. A true classic American IPA!

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Well time to review this monster, I do mean monster. Because like with all the stone products they tend to be a tad heavy handed with there hops. With a IPA that can be a good thing.

The bottle poured into a Stone IMP pint glass produced the most perfect looking IPA you can imagine.
It looks like the advertisement photos you see. A nice golden orange with a beautiful pillow of a white head on top. As you consume the brew the lace just follows the beer down the glass.

The aromas are hop forward. Again there is no surprise, it's the typical pine almost floral bouquet. I would expect from an IPA. Only hoped to the max.. (LOL) This is a typical west cost IPA. If you want to experience one out here in the east this is the one I would point you too. The flavor is bitter grapefruit with almost no malt profile in it at all. Balance would not be a word I use in describing this one. The feel is a soiled medium to me with a good amount of carbonation in it helping to cleanse the pallet.

This is a great IPA drinkability is perfect. This beer is one everyone needs to try at least once. I myself tend to return to this one quite often.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

a- semi-pale amber color with small head and small ring of lacing
s- nice pine scent with a little bit of floral/fruity, pretty hoppy
t- goes down really easy, nice mild bitterness with pine and notes, sort of a mild minty hop aftertaste
m- has a nice smooth medium-thick mouthfeel
d- overall a very nice beer and must have for ipa fans

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

WOW!

A- great copper/amber color, with a thick inch of head that last throughout the entire pint!!!!

S- nice aroma, piney, hoppy

T- good taste, like pine trees, hint of peppermint i thought, and hops

M- very good, nice carbonation

D- drinkable, i drank it on an empty stomach, feelin good now, could definitely have another

overall, great beer, i will buy this again to switch up the routine, highly recommended

Good all around IPA.

Great looking honey gold color.

Smells of pine, strong hops.

No malt. Good hop taste, bitter. But once you've had the ruination IPA by Stone, this "regular" IPA doesn't pack the same punch you expect. I've been tainted. Floral, piney.

Good moutfeel and aftertaste. Overall a great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Stone Brewing India Pale Ale

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Golden, small head with good lacing.

Smell: Citrus fruits and hops with some flowers.

Taste: Floral hops, warm malts, flowers, and citrus fruits.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Overall:
This is a really good IPA. I like it better than Sierra Nevada personally. It has this large bouquet that lingers.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Not my favorite beer, though I prefer the maltier Eastern IPA's more as it is. As a side note, Stone has proven to be about the worst bottles to save for homebrewing because their art is painted on the bottle, no label (I was saving these at first to reuse and eventually decided that it would be too obscene and pitched them). Very cool for drinking the beer though.

Appearance: Bottle is unique, good art, though trying the read the 4.5 type font 500 word essay on the back of their bottles is a chore, and ultimately for me, unrewarding. Pours a golden honey color, nice white foamy head.

Smells of straight hops. Pine, oily and resinous, semi-floral, and nothing even remotely close to sweet - I think Stone uses bittering hops as finishing hops!

The flavor is typical for a West Coast IPA. Very clean tasting, the quality on their beer is always spot on. Bitter dry hops, no malt or sweetness to obscure those little flowers that Stone pays homage to.

Crisp and easily drinkable if you like the style, this is a great beer. But for the price I can get other things that I like a lot more as well.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this on draft at Bar Louie last night. I've had it many times, but this is the first time I've decided to review it.

Came to me at the bar a dark yellow, with tangerine highlights. Minimal head, but nice off white lacing throughout.

Smell's instantly of hops. Sweet, piney citrusy hops. Clean and eye opening.

Tastes of sweet bitter hops right up the front, smoothe on the sides with a crisp finish. Very clean,crisp IPA.

Awesome when fresh and on tap. One of the hoppier single IPA's I've had. Extreme bitterness, with some creaminess to balance out the beer.

Outstanding, almost perfect IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a standard shaker pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear peach/amber color with a ½" fluffy white head that recedes slowly leaving sheets of foam on the side of the glass. Sipping leaves a sheet of ridged foam on one side that clings to the glass while on the other side the speckles and legs of lacing do their thing. The head and lacing on the glass persist for much of the beer.

Smell: The aroma is fresh pine mingled with grapefruit zest. There's a mild presence of malt. I'm expecting this one is going to be all about the hops.

Taste: As expected from the nose, the flavors are a nice mix of pine and grapefruit with maybe a touch of lemon in there too. While the malt backbone is present, the malt and its light caramel sweetness never really moves front and center, rather it keeps to its supporting role.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and slightly smooth and creamy with the active carbonation. The finish is medium long and begins with the grapefruit zest showing but then trails slowly off in to dry light bitterness that just disappears.

Drinkability: I can see why this IPA regularly gets high marks. This is definitely a well-made beer that fits the style nicely. I have had this one before, am enjoying this one as each sip easily follows the one before. I certainly expect I'll be choosing this beer again in the future.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.