Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
StargherKing

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Color was a hazy amber color, lightening near the bottom of the glass and darker at the top. Head was full and fluffy, dissipated after a couple of minutes. Once poured, the beer had a slight floral hop scent, with a strong undercurrent of citrus, specifically something reminiscent of grapefruit. The taste was true to the description on the bottle, very bitter hops, with the grapefruit coming through as well. The mouthfeel was slightly crisp, with a good deal of carbonation. Considering the strong hop flavor, one would expect the beer to taste somewhat crisper, but it almost seemed dulled somehow. The drinkability is surprisingly good. I'm personally not a fan of the deep bitter flavor in this one, but I'm sure fans of the style would LOVE this beer. I would recommend it to fans of IPAs, but for me, I think I'll probably pass next time.

01-18-2007 01:43:50 | More by StargherKing
Butch

Mississippi

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

Butch

01-14-2007 12:29:58 | More by Butch
doppelmeup

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Honey yellow color with only a slight head. Lacing remains throughout.

Bit of skunkiness, reminding me of some pilsener beers I've had. Slight grapefruit. Not the best smelling IPA I've had.

Taste is ok. Moderately bitter with grapefruit flavors leading, followed by some sweet malt. As it warms, flavor improves.

Slightly sticky, slightly dry mouthfeel. ABV well hidden, goes down very easily.

Overall, a good beer from Stone but not all that memorable.

01-11-2007 14:12:02 | More by doppelmeup
UncleJimbo

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

This IPA poured a hazy, light amber color. The foam was flouffy and faintly yellow, and it persisted a long time and clinged to the inside of the glass. The smell was light floral hops with a little malt. The taste was malty and a touch sweet with moderate hoppiness. Alcohol was tasted, and there was a light hint of oxidation. The mouthfeel was smooth and hoppy with medium body and moderate carbonation. It was relatively clean. This was a good, easy to drink IPA.

01-11-2007 04:40:26 | More by UncleJimbo
PhiloPsych

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Although IPA is not my favorite style, I must say this is a very good beer. Goes perfect with Indian food (which is what I paired it with for this review). The color is a pretty, clear, bright, light, pumpkin orange. The head is moderate and bubbly. It doesn't last long (though it doesn't dissipate immediately either), but leaves light lacing all the way down. The aroma is really great. The hops are very nice. The mouthfeel is full, almost creamy even, not watery at all. The carbonation is moderate with just the right amount of bite. The taste is somewhat complex, well-balanced, and overall just very well-constructed. This is a good example of Stone's good work.

01-09-2007 04:35:45 | More by PhiloPsych
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Pours a clear deep golden pale orange with a thin white sticky head. A little too light and pale to stand up to the best IPA's.

S - Faint light aroma of resiny piney hops. Hint of lemon also present. The aroma could be a bit bolder but it does start to build nicely as the beer warms.

T - Piney, resinous, grapefruit with a mild bitterness that grows as you drink.

M- Light to medium and nicely carbonated. Bitter but not too dry of a finish.

D - This beer seemed a little light in the beginning but became a very nice IPA by the finish. It dinks a lot easier than a 6.9% ABV IPA also. This could easily be an everyday drinker.

01-07-2007 01:29:21 | More by brewcrew76
Kendo

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A: From a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Smith's pint glass, it pours a slightly hazy (chill hazed?) golden coppery orange with a bubbly 1-finger white head. A small amount of bubbles rise to refortify the head and as I drink my way down the glass it leaves clumpy remnants of the head behind.

S: A wonderful aroma -- fruity hops dominate, with grapefruit taking hold of the wheel but ripe peaches in the mix somewhere, and finally -- especially as it warms -- piney hops make an appearance. It smells like a bigger beer.

T: Fruity hops up front, with grapefruit dominant again. But a solid malt backbone is there, holding things up. A little bit of spice at the end with a surprisingly dry finish. That fruity, citrusy hop flavor coats the front of the mouth while the dry tang covers the back, lingering long after each sip. Scratch that -- lingering is the wrong word. It takes control of the mouth and won't let go.

M: Creamy. Medium-bodied. Some bite at the end, but not in a bad way at all. Those hops at times seem to be rotting the enamel right off my teeth.

D: Are you kidding? The sixer of 12 oz bottles was a major mistake. Either I've got to pour myself another or I've got to stick with the bombers. This goes down REAL easy. The only shortcoming is the serious lingering fruity and dry hop aftertaste.That may slow down the non-hopheads and it makes you long for a glass of water.

Notes: I reviewed this from the tap a few months back. Sitting in my kitchen tonight, focused on what I poured myself from the bottle, I like this beer even more now. It's become my wife's favorite, and if only it were a little cheaper, this would be my "house" beer.

01-06-2007 04:10:49 | More by Kendo
zuggy9

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great all around IPA. IT pours a nice cloudy amber with decent head retention and a bit of lacing. The smell is rich with hops and very piney. A bit of citrus too. That taste is a nice balance of hops and malt, with some sweet caramel notes and profound hoppiness. It has a nice dry finish and pleasant mouthfeel. Very drinkable!

01-05-2007 21:03:29 | More by zuggy9
notoriousdav

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours a nice light amber with two fingers of foam. Retains head very well. Very herbal on the nose. Taste is unmistakeably hoppy, like a pine cone dipped in soap, definitely makes you pucker-up. Anymore hops and this beer would be outta control, but they managed to get it pretty much right for this style.

01-05-2007 04:30:06 | More by notoriousdav
jeffjfindley

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

A gem of a session IPA. The color murky orange, the head of the two finger variety, and the lacing sticky. To describe the scent as hop-dominant would be an understatement of cataclysmic proportion. This beer smells pinier than my guest house did yesterday, after I wrestled a very wide Christmas tree out through the very narrow front door.

The taste brings forward a far greater malt presence than does the nose, and you'll find yourself gratified by a sweet flavor of caramel, along with a tart blast of grapefruit. The hop presence is profound throughout the quaff, and reveals itself in the mouthfeel with a bitter, lingering dry finish.

In my spare time, I like to go to my local homebrew supply shop, go to the freezer, and smell the canisters of hop pellets. A twirl of the glass containing this beer elicits a similar aroma, as though the hop oils are activated. This is also present in the taste. As with every Stone product I've tried, and I've tried most of them, they pull this off in enviable fashion resulting in a hell of a treat to drink.

01-04-2007 04:06:55 | More by jeffjfindley
TechMyst

I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...gotta pad this...I didn't think much of arroagant bastard either, I've heard rave after rave for this BC...I must try more or another offering of this same brew, I wouldn't want to tarnish a good reputation.

12-31-2006 20:25:56 | More by TechMyst
isaac

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. bottle (well, a few) to my beer chalice.

A - A very pretty golden color with a thick, white head. lace is ample at sticks to the glass the whole way down. crystal clear as well.

S - Ahhhh. Hops. Cascade maybe and notes of fruit and alcohol. go stone!

T - Um, more hops? Some malt grains and biscuit-like qualities, but all and all this is a showcase for the very citric, tart, refreshing, quencing, wonderful hop. finish is clean.

M - Smooth, thin to medium body with a sort of drying quality in the finish.

D - 100% drinkable. everytime.

12-28-2006 06:06:01 | More by isaac
oelergud

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Beautiful copper semitransparent body with a huge white head rocky and fluffy. Great lace and moderate retention.
Delicious hoppy caramel scent topped with flowers and light hay. Mellow mild malt, butter and spice.
Up front mild malts quickly followed by a rough hop rush filled with complexity of hay, grass and flowers. Aftertaste is long lived and spiked hoppy malt, very well balanced.
Thick, slick and smooth put still prickling the tongue.
So very delicious and gone way too fast.

-Oelergud

12-26-2006 23:57:17 | More by oelergud
akorsak

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Served on-tap at the Brewhouse Grille in Camp Hill, PA.

A: The ale is an amber color, almost a pale orange, with a small ring of head (1/2 finger) that does not retain for long.

S: The aroma is a grapefruity hop and grainy malt combination.

T: My initial review of Stone IPA slammed it (relative to Arrogant Bastard and Ruination). In hindsight, it comes across as Stone's easiest beer to drink. The hops are citrusy and strong, but not too strong. They allow the a biscuity malt body to shine through (one of the rare times that I've encountered the malts in a Stone ale).

M: The ale is well-balanced, allowing both the hops and the malts to have their time on the sun.

D: Stone's most drinkable ale, this one does not overwhelm the tastebuds or wear you out with an intense abv.

12-23-2006 19:58:18 | More by akorsak
Finnman

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer has a deep golden hue with an aroma of grapefruit, gumball, and a slight hint of pine. The hops flavor is very pronounced and it balances out in the palate quite nicely. An easy beer to drink, despite the 6.9% ABV. A clear winner from Stone Brewery.

12-17-2006 03:47:51 | More by Finnman
Gatch

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

I've always loved IPA's and this probably tops the list and will stay up there. Very refreshing and very smooth. The hops are very prevalent but not overwhelming. It creates a very citrusy and piney taste.

Not really much of a head but the nose is great. It was hard to find at first, but my brother and I figured it was a little bit of citrus, mostly orange and lemon peel, and then of course the floral and other fruity aromas.

Priced very well, so I will probably have this in my fridge most of the time. In a glass, it looks like a Hefe, but drinks a lot better if you like slight bitterness. I cannot say enough about this beer but why should I have to, it's Stone.

12-15-2006 01:36:07 | More by Gatch
BlackAngus

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Light orange/dark yellow, cloudy. No head to speak of.

S - Pine and citrus aromas, also some maltiness.

T - Very hoppy, but not crazy bitter. Maltiness to back up the hops. Citrus and pine flavor.

M - Medium body, smooth and clean, nice carbonation.

D - Highly drinkable, especially for a great price.

12-14-2006 23:14:31 | More by BlackAngus
tjthresh

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap. Pours with hues of golden straw, and firey orange. Topped with a resiny frothy with head. Strong pungent hop aroma. Mostly pine, and then some more pine, and maybe some pine. I think I get some peachy notes too. Very clean bitterness. Crisp. First class all the way.

12-10-2006 02:47:43 | More by tjthresh
jameaterblues

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

From notes.
A-Golden bronze color with a very bubbly white head that fills the pint glass....I really enjoy when an IPA is not just a fizzy pale yellow that I get more often than not.
S- Big citrus...pretty much all flavors of this type of fruit I could see orange, lemon/lime, and grapefruit....slight spice and sweet malt....crisp and slightly musky.
T-Big hops, and again lots of citrus...specifically in the tip and in the finish. Light malts in body provide a nice balance....Considering how big this IPA is it does not have an overwhelming bitterness...very nicely done.
M/D- almost high carbonation...refgreshing...excellent representation of the style....its what Stone does best.

12-07-2006 17:17:49 | More by jameaterblues
GregBrewski

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Served in a wiezen glass, quite a sight...plenty of bubbles rushing to the top, nice clear golden color, with a head that maintains its retention through out its brief life in my glass, nice white, fluffy head, that left layers of lacing from the very top to the bottom of the glass. The aroma changes with temperature of the brew, starts very floral and just hints of spice and citrus, as it warms up and gains more character it looses its floral tones and becomes a complex mixture of citrus, malts, and chocolates or caramels. The taste is tantalizing, I keep searching for more. Its a well balanced mixture of smooth malts in the front to the lovely flavors of the hops in the finish. Perfect in carbonation, a good body, and well concealed alcohol.
This is an IPA that defines the style in my view, very well rounded, very hop-y, very tasty! Its not only a great session beer, but a beer that can be enjoyed at any time and moment (at least for us hop heads out there).
Now, the challenge lays, were can I find more, good thing they come in bombers.

12-07-2006 00:36:28 | More by GregBrewski
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to raider for sharing this tasty IPA at our TB IPA session.

Appearance
A nice golden ale with a decent offwhite head. Low level of finely carbonated bubbles rising to their freedom from this brew. Nicely laced.

Aroma
Big hoppy nose of grapefruit and pine overtop of toasty malts with a touch of caramel.

Taste
Nice balance and contrast between the malts and hops. Bready malts with a toasty touch and an even lesser touch of caramel. Very nice hops with fruity pear and citrus flavours along with some pine. They do their best to pleasantly linger.

Mouthfeel
Nicely balanced bold IPA. Good malt backbone with even better bitter, floral, fruity and resiny hops.

Drinkability
Very drinkable, great session fare. May be too bold for the hop novice, but this is a tasty treat i'd love to drink again.

12-06-2006 23:49:14 | More by demcorhip
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Very clear light orange with a pure white one finger head and thin webby lacing.

Very spicy hop infested nose with grapefruit tingling the nostrils.

Probably the spiciest IPA I've ever had. This is exceptional considering how little it tastes like the pine characteristic from most spicy IPAs. Pretty good example from Stone that's fruity and spicy and a nice one to have on hand.

Thanks Stone!

12-04-2006 04:16:55 | More by timtheenchanta
WeisGuy

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

a - deep golden amber color, hazy, nice one-inch head with retention around the edges, decent lacing

s - floral hops, nice sweet maltiness, nicely balanced, no alcohol in the nose

t - very bitter piney hops up front, sweet caramelly maltiness in the middle, nicely balanced sweet and bitter finish that lasts awhile

m - medium-bodied, ample carbonation, hop oil coats the mouth well

d - very drinkable, I could drink this all night, though the abv might be a tad high to call it a session beer

Finally got around to reviewing this great brew. For me, it definitely lived up to its reputation. I wasn't expecting such a balanced brew. This is definitely not just a hop-bomb a la Ruination. I'll once again appeal to Mr. Koch to start distributing to NC.

12-03-2006 15:49:07 | More by WeisGuy
RedChrome

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Slightly murky deep golden colored body. A white inch high, thick foam head took a few minutes to dissapear. Average amount of carbonation bubbling to surface. Thick clumps of lacing.

Increadibly strong aromas. A nice citric hops blend. A very nice lemon aroma gives way to a blend of tangerine and orange rinds. A very fainty earthy pine can be hinted in back of susbequent whiffs.

Very nice flavors hop around the mouth. First sip had an initial light roasted malt aroam before developing into a pine bitter finish. A hops citric aftertaste has a orange rind taste. Strong hops finish in additional mouthfulls.

An above thickness body clung to the sides of the mouth. Carbonation provides a nice tingle on the front of the tongue.

A great beer. This one is going to be one of my standard in fridge favorites. Would be a great beer with any chicken pasta dish. Kudos to the boys and girls at Stone for making yet another wonderful offering.

12-02-2006 04:41:35 | More by RedChrome
rarevos

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy orange with a finger of fluffy white head that has good longevity.

S: Fruit (citrus: grapefruit, orange zest) and some light caramel malt. I'm getting some woodsy aromas as well. Not quite fully piney (like the Bridgeport IPA) but... herbal?

T/M: Oh, yikes. Way, way, way, way too phenolic. Malt and fruit suggested by the nose get totally overwhelmed by a pronounced flavor of Band-Aids. Extremely unpleasant, and somewhat greasy on the palate. I can tell that there's fruit in here, and I can sense the maltiness, but they both lose to the band-aids.

D: I drank most of the first pint, but poured the rest of my bomber down the drain. Ruination was a great beer, but this one...not so much.

12-01-2006 21:12:31 | More by rarevos
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.