Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,719 | Reviews: 2,882
4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour - is excellent. Thick but pale. Moderate but lasting head
Smell - hop heaven
Taste - wonderful. My goto IPA. I think there's something missing but I don't know what... Like I haven't tasted it yet
Mouthfeel - very enjoyable. Not overly viscous.
Overall - for me the standard of well-hopped medium-strong beer.
Analysis - great. Could be better but not much. What is missing?

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz, poured into a pint glass.

I've got what's going to be an excellent steak coming up to room temperature, but I couldn't wait to have this. I suppose the steak is going to have to go with a nice stout later on. And away we go...

A: Well slap me about the face and neck and call me stupid, but it sure looks like an IPA. Light burnt orange in color, a head the color of an orange peel 1cm in height, which dissolves quickly into lace. Pretty good.

S: Surprise, surprise, surprise (50 points to anyone who knows whence came that quote), it smells like an IPA, and a hoppy one at that. I'm getting grapefruit, orange, pine, a little caramel from the malt, not bad at all.

T: Ooh, wee, that's hoppy! Bitter Beer Face! Very piny up front, so much so that you almost miss the grapefruit and caramel. Stone is known for hops, and this doesn't disappoint if that's what you're looking for.

M: For its style, great, not spectacular. It's medium-bodied, not overly carbonated, and leaves a very piny finish.

O: Very good. It's what I would expect from a West Coast beer; hoppy as all heck, and bitter as an ex who finds out you've done better since leaving her. I wish I'd waited to cook the steak and have it with this beer; the saltiness would have cut this hoppiness nicely. Think I'll grab myself a piece of sharp cheddar. Ciao!

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with a finger of foamy white head that retains and lace amazingly. The aroma is strong with caramel malt and earthy hops. The taste starts with some caramel and bready malt and then has citrus notes and finishes with the caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is clean and finishes smooth. Over al a great IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

Sipping on this cold delicious and warming beer on this hot day, figured I might as well say some words about it.
It is a pleasure, one I rarely anymore so often give myself to where I indulge in this, one of Stone's finest offerings. Sadly, there is so much beer to try and so little time, but today, an old classic reigns in my glass. Frilly lace upon the sides of the caravan as it travels the swivel of my elbow from the table to my mouth. Big time pine in my nose with a little bit of citrus. Drying finish, nice bitterness, subtle malt backbone, just supple enough. This is a classic for a reason. And the reason is love.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper-apricot color with a nice head that quickly dissipates and leaves a nice ring of lacing. The smell is slightly sweet with strong citrus aromas dominating. This beer has a nice grapefruit aroma going on. This is a hop forward IPA. There is a decent malt backbone but the hops steal the show as they should in a west coast IPA. This is a nicely carbonated IPA, not too bubbly but just bubbly enough which really helps to tie the whole package together.

Stone IPA is always around so I don't drink it often but when I do I always question why I don't drink it more often. This is a damn solid IPA, one that I need to remind myself to get reacquainted with from time to time.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bomber served in a SA 'perfect pint' glass.
enjoy by date 09/01/11, so it's plenty fresh. (date is a bit tough to spot - laser engraved on the shoulder of the bottle)

pours a bright, clear golden-yellow with a good finger and a half of a frothy beige head. excellent retention and lacing all over the place. for my money this is the archetype of how an IPA should look.

aromatic hoppy nose smacks of grapefruit and pine with a touch of malt in the background.

taste follows and even exceeds the nose. just a really tasty IPA with plenty of juicy citrus, pine, and a touch of herbal-ness. nice dose of sweet malt. excellent beer. medium bodied on the palate with average carbonation.

overall, one of my favorite IPAs. just an excellent, well-made, beer. an exemplar of the style.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

I have a place in my heart for this beer, when I first got started on craft beers, I only drank stouts and porters, assuming that pale beers were all lagers and Bass type ales, then I tried this one and learned about the magnificent world of IPAs. This was probably the second most important beer I tried, so finally a review:

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, best before date of 09/05/11 (this is the freshest I've found this in a while and its so good fresh).

Pours a light golden color with a nice foamy white head, which leaves a nice lacing. The smell is of hops, citrus and pine, some grapefruit and lemon, a little caramel malts but they're mostly hidden behind the hops.

The feel is medium light, lots of hop bitterness coats the mouth. No surprise with the taste, its mostly hops, a hint of malty sweetness on the way down but its quickly overwhelmed with a very bitter hoppy after taste which lingers, there are hints of citrus acidic flavors (grapefruit, lemon) which go nice with the pine hops and it has a great dual taste. I think one of the things I love about this and Green Flash IPA are the extreme hops and bitterness are very present, no double IPA attempt to hide them with lots of malts.

Overall I absolutely love this beer, I've probably drank more of this one than any other, its my go to beer for a night of drinking and it never disappoints. I love it fresh and I even like it past date when the hops die down a little and the citrus flavors shine through, fresh or old I love this beer. Thank you Stone for making me a craft beer lover.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

The beer pours out a clear yellow in color with a light head on top. The aroma off the beer is decadent, floral, and really showcases those traditional West Coast hop varieties. The dry hopping allows for more prominent tones of citrus, pine, and maybe some light woody characteristics as well. The taste of the beer is similar to that showcased in the aroma, it's a homage to hops and easily overpowers the malt profile of the beer. Mostly the beer tastes of citrus and piney hops and swallows with a dry finish with lingering hop resin on the tongue. Overall the drink of this beer is great for those hop heads/IPA lovers who are more taken by the West Coast variety of the beer style.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Having sampled many of Stone’s offerings in the past, I’m finally getting the chance to try their IPA.

This is a 22 ounce bomber that I’m pouring into a goblet. The appearance is hazy, and it almost looks like there is some yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I didn’t think that Stone bottle conditioned but maybe I’m wrong. Color is a deep golden yielding to copper. Head is minimal but it has gorgeous lacing.

Not surprisingly, hops dominate the nose. This is an IPA, after all, and a West-coast style one, to boot. Fruity citrus hops dominate, followed by floral and musty pine. In the background there’s this wonderful hint of malt caramel sweetness. Often you get an IPA with muted hop character, and that’s certainly not the case here. The smell on this is just so crisp and fresh – a sure sign that this is a very fresh IPA and one that’s been treated with care.

The first taste showcases a nice level of carbonation, and moderate bitterness that isn’t overpowering. Having had Ruination in the past, it’s nice to get a beer from Stone that actually attempts to maintain some semblance of balance. Taste has a nice residual sweetness to it, including in the finish. It’s easy to finish IPAs with bitterness, but this, surprisingly, seems to go more towards the sweet side. That said the body of the beer is light, dry, and refreshing. Lots of flavor for something that goes down so easily. The label says 6.9% ABV but the alcohol is never apparent.

Stone gets a lot of praise for the other beers that they produce, but this is an underrated example of the West-Coast IPA style. It’s a little bit light in body, but this lends to easy drinking. The hop profile and underrated malt backbone make this beer a winner.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

As a fan of IPA (and a fan of Stone in general) this is a good but very mild IPA. Its taste is mild and smooth. I would have loved to have had some more hop flavor... it has the look and smell of a good IPA.... but, could use just more... oomph! That said, I have had it a few times, when I am in the mood...

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

My first review of this...what the f@#k?

An exceptional IPA...probably in my top 5 I would say.

Nothing to fancy about the look...honey-toned, decent head...doesn't last too long, but a thin white ring remains for the entire drink.

The smell...oh the smell. Mmmmm. I could smell it as soon as it was cracked. Hoppy goodness in a bottle. A lovely mix of fresh pine needles, sweet caramel, and fresh citrus. So good. This is the scent that all IPAs should strive for.

Sharp, biting flavor. That mix of sharp hops and sweet malt blends perfectly. I also noticed a bit of a spice too...not sure what, but lovely. The beer drinks like butta...super smooth, so easy to drink, especially for a nearly 7% brew.

Although it's a bit pricey for a 6 pack, this is a classic American IPA...one not to be missed.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a nice orange gold with a fine chill haze. Capped with a inch high white foam, good retention with a decent amount of cloudy lacing sticks to the glass.

Nice malt profile with some noticable toast and honey. Floral hops with citrus and pine, nuances of apple, peach and pears shine through. Good complexity and nice and strong.

Bready malts with a touch of honey and apples. Hop flavor is pine and citrus but more balanced than the nose would indicate. Finishes drying and bready with a huge kick of bitterness that lingers on.

Smooth with adequate carbonation and body. Finishes very dry and bitter, parched feel on the tongue after a bottle.

I thought I had seen a nice spectrum of IPAs up to this point but Stone really kicked me to the curb with this one. Bitterness is really up there, great smell, and very balanced. Hop heads rejoice.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Looks great. An orangy peach color, just full of enough stuff that it's a hazy orangy peach color. A thin white head briefly sits on top.

Smell may have been a 5 and I'm being too critical. Citrus and pine comes thru and dominates everything else.

In general, the mouthfeel isn't exactly smooth, but for an IPA, it's extremely easy on the palate. The citrus sweetness starts immediately before the tartness and bitterness from the hops kicks in. The kick from the bitter is obvious, but doesn't make you want to shave your tongue.

Might be the best IPA I've ever had (and I've said that a lot lately). There are no flaws with this beer and I'm not sure my 4.5s across the board do it justice.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light yellowish orange with a nice big white head. The head disappears to almost nothing within a couple minutes but still leaves some nice lacing on the sides of the glass. The smell right away is hops. For just a regular IPA it's probably one of the most hoppiest smelling beers I've had. Citrus, piney, grassy, a bit earthy. Almost like holding hops up to your nose. The taste like the smell is hops. At first it almost seems balanced when it hit's your mouth but then as it sits for a second the hops take over. Citrus, pine, a little grassy. Ends with a nice bitterness and hop bite aftertaste. At almost 7% ABV it's not terribly high so multiple bottles wouldn't be a problem in one sitting. Overall it's a fantastic IPA and one I've been drinking a ton of lately. So when I can't afford Ruination this is definitely a damn good substitute. Another solid beer from Stone.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This 22oz bomber poured out a nice hazy light apricot color with a fine head. Typical IPA aromas abound: lemon, grapefruit, orange, and flowers.

Nice tart, refreshing hop bitterness with a creamy malt background. This is an IPA done right. Wonderful dry citrus flavors, sour apple, herbs, and honey. Very nicely balanced. I don't detect any real graininess and the finish is tart and satisfying.

I can't think of anything wrong with this beer. If you like American IPAs and want an outstanding example of one, look no further.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pint glass pour with a great apricot colored ale with a foamy white head that looks like whipped cream sitting atop the brew. Well done. Nice fruity aroma with mangos, pears, orange and light malt. Nice bitter taste with an even bigger bite on the swallow. Big malty backbone helps to even it out and there is a long bitter aftertaste that sits well on the buds. More carbonated than I would like from this IPA. Overall this is an easy drinking IPA and each time I drink it…multiples are easily consumed. An above average IPA from a great brewery. This beer has everything one could look for in a balanced IPA.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- light-colored and little lace, light carbonation

S- straw and citrus, light piney hops, not overwhelming at all

T- very light and floral taste in the forefront, lingers with the delicious pine hops and citrus but not over the top citrus with some nicely blended herbal undertones. very, very smooth

M- very light and pleasant mouthfeel, low carbonation makes this feel really refreshing and smooth on the tongue

D- this is a definite repeat based on the high drinkability. this beer looks, tastes, and drinks very FRESH. hop pines are almost to the level of a DIPA but much more fresh and airy. I could easily drink this beer this entire summer and not ever get sick of it. It is a great, great IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Yellow with a orange tint with a medium haziness. White one finger head, with a fair amount of bigger bubbles. Very good retention. Decent lacing.

S: Apples & pine upfront, and light floral & citursy grapefruit hops behind. Not a super hoppy aroma. Light grassiness. Light caramel sweetness and a very mild spiciness in the back. Pretty complex. Would be excellent if it was stronger.

T: Good mixture of pine and citrus. Has a fresh earthly flavor. The caramel and sweetness never really gets to come through. A light spiciness along with a lingering tangy/sour grapefruit in the finish.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Makes you pucker a little. Nice lingering taste with a dry finish.

O: Definitely a solid IPA. For somebody who doesn't like a sweetness balancing out the bitterness. They make no claim of a bitterness that is balanced on the label.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on July 2, 2011. This is an pour with a touch of cloudiness and a thin head. The aroma is not quite as full as I anticipated but there is definitely a noted floral hoppiness as is to be expected. The body is creamy and medium. Oh, but the taste really makes up for any flaws (as few as they are) that may be noted at first. Bitter hops with a fruity sweetness on the side.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a nice hazy straw color with 1 finger head and decent lacing

S- Has some earthy spic notes as well as some grain and yeast

T- Has a nice grainy flavor right up front then followed by some nice citrus hops, also getting alittle pine flavor. Finishes with a nice dry citrus.

M-Light to medium bodied with good carbonation

D-Overall this was a very pleasant IPA. Not too boring or too hoppy like some. Had the right amount of hops and other flavors. Would get this again. Give this one a try.

4.01/5  rDev -5%

I've been married for 13 days now and my wife finally made her first mistake. I bought a bomber of Stone IPA, put it in the freezer and had to run an errand. I told her in 15 minutes to take it out of the fridge. Needless to say I had a beer slushy, she forgot of course. However, It recovered in 15 minutes and it's ready to go.

Poured into a tall pilsner glass.

Appearance-Body is the color of honey. Pretty hazy with a 2 finger off white head. Lots of sticky lacing, very nice. This may be the first time to have Stone's IPA not out of the bottle, and it looks great.

Smell-Hops aren't coming out as much as I remembered. Some nice grapefruit and lemon aroma, along with some pine.

Taste-Very bitter hops. Pine upfront, spicey and hot. Finish is rather smooth with some nice citrus.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, smooth, refreshing. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Very easy to drink. Bitterness does not linger which makes this nice for a beginner.

Overall-Great IPA. The Dry-Hopping aroma doesn't shine as much as I'd like on this bottle, but this is a very nice beer with excellent drinkability.

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a 3" off-white head which took a while to dissipate. Beautiful hazy orangy gold color. Smell has hops and citrus. Taste is more of the same and although not the most complex of Stone's offerings I'll pay them the compliment for in this case not actually overduing the beer into another of their big bold blowouts. Finish is pretty long and has some acidity and a touch of saltiness.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at Ebenezers pub in Lovell, Maine. First pour off a fresh keg! Served in a pint glass.

Clear honey colored with a frothy off-white head. Tons of sticky lace. Big fresh leafy hop nose. Lots of lip smacking bitterness, very fresh tasting. A little caramel malt balance. Great carbonation, medium bodied, slick oily mouthfeel. Quaffable.
Not over the top, but insanely drinkable.

First had: on tap at ?

Poured a hazy peach-orange with a finger of foamy white head that retained decently and left a bit of lace on the glass. Mainly citrus hops in the aroma; piney. A base of sweet maltiness in the taste is overshadowed by piney hops; notes of grapefruit and orange. Hops are in command, but there is still a pretty decent balance happening. Medium-bodied and easily drinkable for the style.

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%

From tap into a pint:
Appears a glowing beautiful gold, head thin (this could have been from a poor pour on the bartender's part) dissipates quickly, leaves very little lacing.
Smell is hoppy of course, honey, pine, caramel
Taste is sweet, existing mostly at the far back of the tongue and the sides. Bitter to finish.
Mouthfeel- sticky, resin left behind, a medium body to it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.