Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

From a great trade with IntriqKen, thanks!! Pours a deep amber reddish color with a small head. Smells hoppy and sweet, nice combo. Great hoppy taste, very nice combo of citrus and pine with still some malt sweetness too. Overall I am impressed and wish that I could find Stone up here in Maine (just may have to go to Mass. this weekend.)

11-03-2006 12:47:44 | More by Manosbeeroffate
grego

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

I poured this from a 12oz bottle. The color is sort of a straw color with very little red. One finger of head lasted quite some time with nice lacing throughout. The smell is fantastic, hops and more hops. Very citrusy with some pine but not overwhelming. The taste follows the smell very well. Beautiful hops flavor, and again not too piney. Not sweet at all but has a nice balance. The mouthfeel is great, smooth to start and dry at the end. I could drink this beer all day and/or night. This to me is the best (so far) AIPA I have ever had. Gotta hand it to Stone once again for a great brew.

11-03-2006 00:32:46 | More by grego
wanker

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

This beer is definitely for hop heads.It is a complex beer, with citrus and stone fruit flavors (peach and tangerine?) underneath a serious hop zing.

To tell you the truth, the hop flavor was so strong that it was difficult for me to finish my half of the bomber I shared with my wife. I liked the fruity undertones, but the intensity of the piney hop tastes killed the drinkability for me.

That said, I'm really a stout and porter guy, so ignore this review if your tastes don't run in the stout/porter direction.

11-02-2006 21:17:47 | More by wanker
stephendr

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Color of clear golden honey – head medium off white – nose of pine and bitter hopps , smoky / toasty , mint , and cloves – taste is gummy hopps , tar , and toasty malts – light bright semi carbonated body – aftertaste chewy long lasting hops and smoky malts

11-02-2006 05:13:30 | More by stephendr
Alkey

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle I am now ready to enjoy my first Stone IPA and write my first beer review.

I see a dark golden brew with lots of bubbles and spongy white head.

A really great scent almost a perfume of citrus and a lite floral aroma.

Strong tastes of sour fruit like grapefruit that mellows as my taste buds readjust to the initial shock with a sweet finish of orange and tangerine.

This is an IPA with lots of character and one that I'll be looking forward to exploring further.

10-29-2006 22:23:44 | More by Alkey
adammills

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

This is one hell of a hop brew! A bit grassy, a ton of hops, yet it is not over the top for me, and I am more of a malty fella. This beer has made me understand what people say when they say a beer is spiced, and it is a very nice touch in this offering. Very drinkable, awesome.

10-29-2006 00:31:36 | More by adammills
scruffwhor

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks once again Kahn's of Indianapolis.

Appearance- Great, thick eggshell colored head. Concrete like retention and great foamy film. Sluggish bubbles slowed down by the resiny hops I bet. Great mild amber that for some reason makes me think of spring time.

Aroma- Great notes some slight citrus in the hop, but more earthy aromas and a medium scent of pine. Not overpowering in hops. I like the subdued nature of this aroma. Some mild malts balance out the aroma very well.

Taste- Starts with some pine needles and hop floweration in the front. The middle lets the malt give a hint of caramel to the earthy textures of the bitterness. A little resiny and sweet. Almost like tasting a mix of cascade hops in a light corn syrup.

Mouthfeel- A little resiny, but not boggy like some IPAs. This beer is pretty easy to drink on taste and palate. The alcohol limits it's sessionability.

Great beer. Can easily see why Stone is touted for their IPAs.

10-28-2006 22:50:12 | More by scruffwhor
Sixpack595

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Pale copper colored body with slightly off white head. Moderately low cap of foam leaves quite a bit of heavy lacing. Strong citrus hop aroma overpowers everything with grapefruit and a hint of grassiness. Flavor is equally powerfull with a full hop bitterness, dry and fresh. Malt flavor is nearly totally overpowered, leaving only the slightest hint of sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick, almost oily and slick. Carbonation is a bit lacking, but not a deal breaker.

10-26-2006 02:02:56 | More by Sixpack595
xav33

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Stone India Pale Ale
22 oz bomber
Recent brewing, chiseled into 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured clear amber with a huge frothy white mostly lasting head with excellent lacing.

Smelt of moderate bready cereal malt, grassiness, lemon rinds and grapefruit. Overall soft and inviting.

Flavor was upfront moderate to heavy grapefruit bitterness with light lemony sweetness followed by a slightly harsh pine bitterness and soft clean earthy feel on a long lingering grapefruit finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium, creamy, softly carbonated, with some moderate astringency and slight alcoholic warmth.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA with envigorating hops taste, but it feels like it could have delivered just a bit more on the malt sweetness on the finish to balance out the equation towards perfection.

10-25-2006 04:31:34 | More by xav33
beakerboy

Kentucky

Part of Liquor Barn's ultimate Brew Crew Oct-'06- Pale Ales

Pours a slightly hazy orange with one finger of thick creamy head. There was a thin crown of foam throughout the entire drink with plenty of lace. The aroma is very complex, but primarily pine, citrus. The taste is great! when he beer fist passes over the tongue you taste the heavy malt flavors and the aromatic hops. The bitterness after taste is quite strong. It's great for someone like me with the worst taste buds in the world. It's a fairly heavy beer, lots of body. This is the second time I've has this particular brew, and the first I've drunk while dissecting it for beeradvocate. Lets hope the rest of this months selections are as good overall.

10-23-2006 23:15:18 | More by beakerboy
Cadyfatcat

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Cloudy straw colour with a nice bubbly and lacey head.

Smells slightly of honey with candy sweet floral hops.

Floral hop flavors dominate the entire experience. Hops are one-dimensional as well. Beer has some soapy flavors going on.

I know I am going against the masses on this one, but I am really not that impressed. I like a more dynamic hop character in an IPA, I found this one rather powerful, yet lacking in complexities. A good beer, but I have had far superior IPA's.

10-22-2006 05:23:18 | More by Cadyfatcat
Frozensoul327

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Mighty golden color with a amber orange hue. Dense foamy head. Lots of lace.

S: Hops. Lots of 'em. Pine. Light citrus. Nice. Very fresh and inviting.

T: Lots of dry hops, mild and smooth malts, with sappy pine notes. Hits of grains and earthy vegetables.

M: Lighter than many. Goes down very easy. Smooth and silky, no dense syrupy feeling.

D: Good. A solid IPA. A real winner. Could easily be sessioned.

Notes: A fine IPA. Doesn't beat Two-Hearted Ale, but gives it a run for it's money.

10-21-2006 01:28:45 | More by Frozensoul327
joe1510

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz. Bomber

I cracked open the bottle and immediately got hit with a whiff of hops. I have a feeling I'll like this one.

Stone's IPA poured a chill hazed tarnished golden with very lively carbonation rising from all over the bottom of my pint glass. Sitting up top is a nice 1+ finger creamy white eggshell head.

Smell is of hops. All hops. Big piney, oily hops. There is a citrus freshness that pokes its head out in the middle. There is a little earthiness at the end. As this beer warms, the malt that holds it all together comes through as a nice backbone aroma.

Taste is what I think an IPA should taste like. The malt in the smell is a nice sturdy backbone. The hops take center stage though. Hop oils abound followed by pine needles. There is that citrus again on the middle of my tongue. This all leads into a moderate bitterness that leaves me wanting more.

Mouthfeel is close to perfect. Medium bodied. Slick, oily mouthfeel. Goes down awfully smooth.

It would be very easy to drink these all night long. The bitterness leaves you wanting another drink right after the last. The abv is hidden very well. Dangerously drinkable.

This is what I think an IPA should be. Big on hops with a decent abv. This is in my top 3 favorite IPAs. Very good representation of the style. A must try.

Slainte!

10-21-2006 00:03:07 | More by joe1510
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

This review is from notes written when orrshow shared his bomber with me. Thanks again Mike.

In the glass this beer is clear orange, reminding me of the colour that orange kool-aid had when I was a kid. The head is off white and rocky, and leaves plenty of lacing all over the glass.

Bitter, hoppy, citrus, aromatic. Take any adjective used to describe hop aromas and insert here, you should be able to make it fit with this beer. Great smell for an IPA.

The first taste is not as bitter as expected, especially considering the smell. This changes the deeper you get in. Malt is very much overpowered by the hops. Floral and citrus, and a bit grainy.

The beer feels slightly oily on the tongue, and has a fair amount of carbonation. Good effect for the style.

This one is for the hopheads, not surprising considering the style and the brewery. Glad to have tried it, and would probably pick it up from time to time were it available to me.

10-20-2006 15:45:01 | More by elricorico
dogfooddog

Panama

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

From a 22oz bottle from BevMo in La Jolla...pours nicely with small white head. Nose is very hoppy, citrus and a bit bitter. After what I suspect was a light-struck bottle from another source, curious to try the IPA from this much-touted brewery.

Bitter hoppy taste, it varies some from citrusy and almost lemon-like to down-and-out bitter as my palate adjusts. There is just a hint of skunkiness as well, though given the location and lighting where I bought it I am not sure this beer has ever been light-exposed. While a pleasant example of an IPA, I think there are more interesting things out there, and will try some more things from this brewery before passing judgement.

10-18-2006 23:43:30 | More by dogfooddog
daliandragon

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

My parents are wonderful people but bless 'em, they are beer dopes. They fill the fridge with Stella and Heineken and are happy as clams. My mom picked up a sixer of these beauties and after they each tried it and hated it, I was bequeathed a fourpack. Score!

Pours translucent and well topped with snow whhite head on a medium rust color and oodles of sticky lacing. Nose is fresh citrus and pineey hops. Powerful but not overpowering.

Nice mellow bitterness that increases in sharpness as the taste fades. Dry and finishes well. Mouthfeel is smooth but almost pulpy in thickness. Highly drinkable althugh the abv will get you if you're not careful. Not for rookies, buut definitely another quality pproducct from Stone.

10-18-2006 02:02:29 | More by daliandragon
sleazo

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

A-Pours amber/copper with minimal head, the lack of head prevents this from getting more than a four.

S-Hops, hops, hops. this is how a beer should smell, sticky piney grapfruit hops.

T-The hops definitely hits you first, followed by some sweetness from the malt. Very hoppy yet balanced.

M-Very good here too, it is the perfect consistency with good carbonation.

D-I could drink these all night. Enough for mee to get into some serious trouble.

This is my go to beer living in San Diego. It is a really well balanced beer despite the xtreme hoppiness. I will miss having this cost $7 a sixer when i move back to NYC. This is perhaps the best example of a West Coast IPA. I would love to distribute this in Europe and see how they woudl deal.

10-15-2006 03:21:52 | More by sleazo
plaid75

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a murky medium copper hue with a one finger pillowy white head. There was decent retention and very good lacing.

The smell was 100% resiny hop. A strong citrus and peppery aroma. There was a nice soft grain aroma as well.

The taste was a spicy peppery upfront hop bitternes. Hints of grapefruit and orange sweetness as well. A good biscuity grain bill as well. Mild alcohol burn detected.

The mouthfeel was full and spicy.

Overall a superior IPA. This beer is the standard for AIPAs. I am glad I finally tried it.

10-13-2006 01:05:21 | More by plaid75
objectivemonkey

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Into a pint glass, pours a deep golden color with a decent beginning head, leaves a film and nice stringy lacing. Aroma seems a little one dimensional, not really a surprise, just wish there was more malt backing. Heavy on floral hops, a littel oily, grapefruit, like it. Taste is... well, quite tasty. Floral, bitter, aggressive, and slick, this is and IPA for IPAs, The key is, it isn't overwhelming, to the point of being offensive, but just on the verge that makes it great. Mouth is smooth, slick, full, warm but not apparently alcoholic. In sum, I still want Stone distributed here. Damnit.

10-12-2006 03:14:54 | More by objectivemonkey
jasonjlewis

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

App: great head and retention

Smel: Nice, pungent, citrusy, spicy smell. I anticipate a beer with balls.

Taste: not as hoppy as I expected. I thought this beer would be a lot hoppier and in my face. It's still nice and balanced. I guess I need to try Ruination. This isn't enough of a hop fix for me. This beer is very balanced. Almost too balanced. I expected a lot from stone. I think that's the reason why I expected more hoppiness.
Flavor is piney and comes out more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Clings to the mouth well, somewhat crisp.

Drinkability: An easy to drink, very sessionable IPA. Could down this all night.

I don't notice the abv of 6.9% at all I would have guess 5.5%

10-08-2006 01:30:24 | More by jasonjlewis
uberabr

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a pretty light amber/gold with hints of red. Fluffy white head and gorgeous lace. The aroma really smacks you in the face. Simple but charming. A bold, grassy citrus. Tons of grapefruit. A definite hopp character.

Tastes great. Fruity with a good balance between hopp and malt. Might be a little too bitter for some, but I like it. Can't really taste the alcohol at all, I would have guessed it to be around 4 or 5 AbV. Fully body and goes down easy. Couldn't ask for much more from an IPA in terms of appearance, drinkability, and taste. The unique aroma bumps this one from good to great.

10-07-2006 05:16:31 | More by uberabr
Bugsey

District of Columbia

Appearance is beautiful. Golden, bubbles, foam.

Smell is enticing. Bread, citrus, creamy malt.

Taste and mouth were outstanding. There is plenty to excite the tounge. Creamy malt and citrus bitterness. Just the right amount of carbonization to keep it lively without a sting. The aftertaste lingered in my mouth and mind. Give me more.

Drinkability was superior. I'm glad I bought six. Because I had a strong hankering for another each and every day. Very memorable.

10-06-2006 19:31:52 | More by Bugsey
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

App: It has Golden hues with a nice creamy head

Smell: Tangerine rind, french bread

Taste: It's crisp and bitter with a interestingly different aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty much a medium mouthfeel: it's perfect

Drinkability: I'm not sure how many of these I would want to drink. It's pretty damn good but it's a bit of a kick to the nuts.

10-05-2006 23:59:16 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
czechsaaz

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Big nose of citrus hops, grapefruit and lemon peel. Not much other aroma characteristics can fight through it. After a few sips I do get a little bit of base malt.

Gold, pretty cloudy with a great pillowy lasting head.

Tip of the toungue, some sweet malty flavor. Then the hops kick in. Very fresh hop tasting with more of the citrus-type hop flavor. Higly bitter but not overwhelming. On the back end there's a really nice malt profile that tastes a little like bran flakes. Theres also a nice fruity yeast flavor mixed in. Overall a nice flavor profile between malt and hops.

Medium-full bodied. Very nice carbonation level that is lively in your moth without adding more bitterness effect.

Overall, one of my favorite IPAs. It's not insanely hoppy so it keeps me interested with the other flavors. Goes down pretty easy and pairs really will with spicy food.

10-05-2006 06:27:28 | More by czechsaaz
mattgert

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Excellent IPA. Nice citrus/hop smell, pours amber/gold with nice head and lacing to the end. Has a great bitter hop smack with refreshing citrus notes followed by a malt backbone to balance things out. For an IPA I think this is a little on the mild side for hop bitterness. Very well balanced and exceptional in every aspect. So glad to have found this one!... especially since Three Floyds is on standby in Cincy...

10-05-2006 01:22:36 | More by mattgert
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.