Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

pours a nice amber with a 1/4" of very fine white head. drops quickly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is nice. orange and grapefruit and pine. bit of alcohol. biscuity malt.

taste is great. nice moderate bitterness level - assertive, but restrained. more orange than grapefruit. bit of resiny pine presence too. nice biscuit malt. bit of caramel sweetness.

mouthfeel is good. great moderate carbonation level and nice body.

drinkability is great. well balanced and very enjoyable brew. i've had this one several times and just finally getting around to reviewing it. great stuff.

02-07-2007 01:54:53 | More by grub
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

served on tap from my draft system, on for about a month, poured into 20oz. nonic glass.

Clear,copper/amber color.Dense,creamy white head as tall as you want it to be.
Some tightly knitted strings also a few straggling bubbles rising to the surface
Very good retention,the foam coats the glass all the way down.

Clean,piney and fruity together make for a very pineapplely aroma,very pleasing.Burnt carmell aromas with a bit of nuttiness.

One of those beers that tastes about the same way it smells,no complaints here.Burnt carmell,very piney,nutty,fruity taste that turns grapefruity.Finishes clean,sharp some tartness leaves a lot of grapefruit flavors lingering on the palate.Very good and pleasing taste with a nice balance.

Medium mouthfeel,very tangy,syrupy,fairly smooth with good drinkability.Very good on tap seemed to like the bottled version a little better. Liked my last keg of Bell's two-hearted better.

02-06-2007 03:37:08 | More by jcdiflorio
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours out with a wheaty head- not much lacing to speak of. Smell is very floral. Taste is grapefruit and pineapple. Medium carbonation with a refined moutfull- smooth malts and that great fruit hops. Aftertaste is all hops.

All in all this is a class leading IPA. I could drink this the rest of my life and be a happy guy. Too bad the closest distriution is a several hundred miles away.

02-04-2007 03:00:54 | More by oakbluff
Eirerate

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. into a favorite mug producing a nice, thick, foamy head which stuck around for most of the drink. The aroma was a very strong citrus aroma (which though not my cup 'o tea was still pleasant. Mouthfeel was very pleasant with just a hint of alcohol warmth. Love the taste which only got better as the drink went on (not surprisingly) This is a very good beer that I would gladly have more of.

02-03-2007 00:03:49 | More by Eirerate
Avagadro

A: Huge egg-white frothy head that lasts. This beer has a beautiful light-amber color that is crystal clear. Looks very drinkable in the glass.

S: Wow! This beer fills the room with its aroma. Limes, citrus, and pine. This brew has an incredible aroma.

T:Taste follows the aroma with a huge hop presence. Citrusyand piney from the hops, and sweet from the ethanol.

M:Medium body with slick mouthfeel. Carbonation tingles on your tongue,, a nice complement to the hoppy bitterness.

D: If I had the money, this beer would be in my house at all times. A must try.

02-02-2007 23:09:17 | More by Avagadro
schusterbauer

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

i've been holding off on reviewing this, in order to consume it a number of times, and form thoughts independent of hype. speaking of the hype -- does the beer live up to it? if not, then damned close.

appearance is classy, a pale apricot/brassy complexion, with a fluffy white head and significant lacing. smell is of very fresh, very citric hops, and toasted malts as an afterthought. taste is fresh, and pretty wonderful. the hops are bitter/strong/refreshing, but they don't mask the fact that the ale underneath is of fine quality, with plenty of toasted bread yeastiness. i wish i could try the ale in its early formulation, before getting its hop fix! light and crisp in the mouth.

interestingly, the toasty ale flavors seem to finish on at the front of the tongue, with the hops finishing in rear corners of the mouth. seeing that this is precisely how taste buds work naturally, i think this is a ringing natural endorsement of this beer and its ingredients.

02-02-2007 18:39:04 | More by schusterbauer
mcallister

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Clear, clean, amber/copper with a thick frothy white head. Good retention. What you expect from Stone.

Sweet piney hops with a citrusy back burst. Hops are really sweet and flowery and gives the impression that this is going to be a resiny hop coating palate drencher. Can't wait! Hints of malt on the underlyings as well.

Very fruity. Full of ctirusy, floral hops with hints of grassy, pine on the back mid palate. Nectarine, mush melon, slight mango. Balanced by a thin layer of malt that endeavors a clean integrated finish. Speaking of the finish, nice length, not overly bitter, so fruity it gives the impression there is some RS. If there is it's not much.

Medium carbonated and prickly mouthfeel. Delicously drinkable.

02-01-2007 23:39:48 | More by mcallister
TheDeuce

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow...

Appearance-big headed goodness comes out of the bottle, light color head booms up but remarkably settles afterwards into the glass, good looking beer.

Smell-hoppy as all get out, alcohol is totally hidden by hoppiness no other aromas to speak of, smells like it was just brewed a second ago.

Taste/Mouthfeel-amazing, easy drinking, substantial hop flavor but no burn or rashness, balanced with a dash of malt, maintains a light texture but still substantial. Even those who don't like hoppy beers or are just starting on them would probably like this.

Drinkability-easy to drink, clean finish except for a small trace of hops, just how you would want to do it, 7% alcohol for those who don't know.

Overall-Simply put one of the best IPAs I've ever had, it's taken me forever to try Stone beers and now that I've had one I can't wait to try more. Astoundingly good.

02-01-2007 21:30:25 | More by TheDeuce
bigreduw64

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber into a wide bowled wine glass. Pours a golden amber color. The aroma is of straight up hops. It smells as though I will be eating hops, it makes me a little afraid for what it will taste like.

Surprisingly the taste is not as hoppy as the smell lets on. It is very balanced, but still has a strong hop flavor.

I enjoy this beer and when in the mood for an IPA this would be on my list of ones to buy.

02-01-2007 03:49:48 | More by bigreduw64
bringonthehops

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

And now to write my very first Beer Advocate beer review...and about maybe the most dependable American IPA out there, nonetheless!!

Serving: 12 oz bottle (strong) poured into a Stone pint glass

Appearance: Quite clear, more so than I prefer my IPA's to be...butterscotch color with an off-white foamy head (my strong pour gave me almost 3 fingers).

Smell: Aaahh! This is what an IPA should smell like!! Grapefruit, with floral undertones. Before you even taste a sip, it's readily apparent that this beer is heavily hopped!

Taste: If you don't like "bitter" beers, you can stop reading this review right now. For the rest of you, here we go: this is what IPA should taste like. Being the average hop-head, I make it my mission to try every single IPA that I come across. Although I've technically had "better" IPA's, all of the "better" IPA's I've had have been specialty brews. This is the best regular-ol'-IPA that I've ever had. Bitter hops wrap around the tip of your tongue before exploding across the rest of your mouth. The only other regular-ol'-IPA I've had that rivals this one is Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (brewed out of Kalamazoo, MI). Since I live in CA, I have constant access to this brew. Despite this, I find myself always coming back to it (and that's high praise from someone who prefers to try something new rather than stick with "the same ol'." But this IPA is just so good you can't resist buying it again and again and again.

Mouthfeel: A bit lighter than some of my other favorite IPA's, but what's lost in body is made up for in drinkability. The hops are most predominate on the front palate.

Drinkability: Considering this brew clocks in at 6.9% abv it's quite amazing that you can find yourself dissapointed they don't sell beers in 7-packs! Very drinkable for an IPA -- I attribute this beer's easy drinking to the fact that it is only medium-bodied, and not heavy, like some other great IPA's.

If you live in CA and reading this review, you probably already know about this beer...if you live outside of CA and can get your hands on this stuff, do it.

01-31-2007 08:48:07 | More by bringonthehops
jmalex

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

I shared a bottle of this once before, but now it's time to sit down with one of my own and really see what this beer's got.

APPEARANCE: Pours a somewhat hazy gold into my Stone pint glass. Not much of a head despite a vigorous pour. The head dissipates quickly but leaves a thin collar and large patch of lace.

SMELL: Bitter, pungent hops dominate the nose. Pine, flower, and grass can all be detected. This one smells like it packs some serious bite!

TASTE: Quite tame at first, but the hops aren't far behind. And boy do they show themselves! The same pungent smells carry over into the flavors with the addition of some bitter citrus. The bitterness quickly fades though, and transitions into a very clean finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Light bodied with a nice level of carbonation. This one doesn't leave a sticky film in your mouth like some other IPAs. Very nice.

DRINKABILITY: The clean finish and light body make this one very easy to drink. Maybe I'm so used to Double IPAs that this beer seems like nothing in comparison. But it's certainly far from nothing. This really is a great brew.

Stone comes through again. I've never had a beer of theirs that I didn't love and this is no exception. The hops show off their bitterness much more than their flavor and sweetness, and I can appreciate that. I'm just glad I had my own bottle this time.

01-31-2007 00:34:14 | More by jmalex
flexabull

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet... here goes.

Pours a bright gold color, a bit of haze, a lot of carbonation, and a very nice head.

Beer smells very resin like, a bit of pine, and some floral aromas.

Flavors start with resiny pine hops, but it is quick and not overpowering. The hops then fade into a very creamy slighty sweet malt character. Finish is a bit tangy and crisp.

Mouthfeel is very nice, a very well rounded beer.

I forgot how good this IPA is. I need to pick this one up more often... especially now that the six packs are showing up here more often. Very drinkable.

01-30-2007 03:36:18 | More by flexabull
jokelahoma

Missouri

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

This one poured a very, very slightly hazy copper-gold color, with a fairly good sized head that stuck around for a good long while, and laced as it died. Nice appearance.

The nose of this beer is awesome. Even with my glass sitting on my computer desk and arm's length away, I can still smell the hops. There is little doubt this is an IPA. Hops are at the fore in the aroma, as they should be. Wonderful earthy, piney, vegetal hoppiness just overwhelms nearly any other aroma. Toward the end of the sniff, though, you get some sweetness that creeps in. It's got to be the malt, since you know, at 6.9%, there's quite a bit of that in here too. The smell is very appetizing and appealing, and definitely makes you want to drink it.

And wow, what an experience that drink is. Hops hit you immediately, and don't stop pummeling you throughout the entire process of drinking. They do, though, feel you're not being sufficiently beat down, so they call on their malty cousins to help finish the job. The aromas you get at first come through in the taste as well. The same earthiness, the same pine (which normally I do not like, but which works well here), the same raw vegetable... it's all here, and it's all at the forefront. Only about 2/3 of the way through the seduction of your tastebuds do you notice there's some sweetness there. Quite a lot, in fact. This beer isn't just hop juice. There's simply a lot of hoppy filigree on top of a good solid malt foundation. Placed together, you have a fantastic combination of flavors. This is, for all it's "in your face" hoppiness, a well balanced beer. Phenomenal.

Mouthfeel seems a tad on the thin side, but with a coating quality at the end of the drink that feels oily. A little more body and less coating would make this perfect. As it is, it's definitely passable.

Overall, this is one fantastic IPA. Very aggressively hopped, but not at the expense of balance or drinkability. At 6.9%, this is no session brew, but I've a feeling I could drink a lot of these before I realized I was hurting myself. I've yet to try a Stone beer I haven't absolutely loved, and this one kept that streak intact. Now I can only hope my travels take me into Stone distribution territory again soon. This is well worth looking for.

01-28-2007 04:27:37 | More by jokelahoma
IgnatiusReilly

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle at home. The gargoyle is still one of my favorite brewery mascots.

A: Bright amber/gold with a little chill-haze. Nice thick head - lots of retention.
S: Perfect for an IPA. All hops in the nose, pure and fresh - floral and citrus scents abound.
T: Super hoppy, very bitter, piney. Lots of spiciness. The hop oil is the first to hit, followed by the strong alcohol - 6.9% is a lot for a straight up IPA. The malt sweetness comes through a little bit toward the end - some bready and sweet yeast flavorings.
M: Oily and mouth-coating. Not so much a chewy feel usually found with a ton of malt. This one is more crisp. Very refreshing.
D: Very easy. Only the high ABV keeps this from being a true session ale.

I love this beer.

I have to rank this as the best IPA I've reviewed so far.

01-27-2007 01:39:28 | More by IgnatiusReilly
ChazMania

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Stone IPA was one of my early entree's into the hop world of which now I'm completely infatuated with.

A- this bottle poured orangy/peach color and nicely filled a pint glass with a 1/2 inch head.

S- crisp and floral from the get-go. I love this. My wife hates it....ok, more for me!

T- again, this was my entree into this hop fest world, and now I'm always chasing and trying any thing I can find in the DIPA/TIPA realm. When I'm chillin at home getting things done, this bottle always tastes good. It's in my top tier of single IPA's. (with greenflash, victory, alesmith, a few others).

M- crisp and refreshing

D- Can I have another? and another? and another?

01-26-2007 06:58:16 | More by ChazMania
Torchiest

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first review.

Very light amber/golden color, small weak white head even with a semi-aggresive pour which disappeared immediately. Looks harmless enough.

Smells great, massive fresh hop aroma indiciative of the two weeks spent dry-hopping, somewhat fruity, grassy, floral, and pretty dank as well.

Extreme hop flavor, citrusy, sweetness and bitterness are very balanced, and in fact, doesn't seem all that bitter while drinking, although a hoppy bitterness lingers at the back of the tongue afterwards. Quite pleasant overall.

A bit thick, but smooth, and the carbonation is on target for the style. Nothing spectacular, but more than adequate.

This is very drinkable, one of the more drinkable IPAs I've tried. Goes down surprisingly easy for something which is approaching 7% ABV. Advise caution with this guy.

01-26-2007 06:03:45 | More by Torchiest
lehows

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a light amber color with a small off-white head that faded down quickly. Stable aromas of floral hops, citrus, even some slight skunky quality in there. Taste shows more than the aromas with an even and refreshing hop bite (citrus, pine), perfect carbonation, very smooth and highly drinkable, especially for an IPA. Definitely recommended.

01-24-2007 18:29:59 | More by lehows
theopholis

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance- Pours crystal clear light amber with a failry billowy head. Head has some staying power, but not to much. Very good lacing for an IPA.

Aroma- Interesting blend of floral hops and sourness. Can't identify the sour componant, but it smells great.

Taste- Very good balance between agressive flavoring hops, bittering hops and malt sweetness. This is a very sessionable IPA.

Mouthfeel- Thick for an IPA, but it works!!! Good carbonation level. Clings to the inside of your mouth, which is a good thing, because I love them hops!!!

Drinkability- Very drinkable for an IPA. The hops are very noticable without banging you over the head. One of the best IPAs out there.

01-24-2007 04:19:40 | More by theopholis
Nipitato

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a bomber at Marty's Wine and Liqours in Allston, MA.

A:Deep golden color with nice white head.

S:Strong resinous hoppy aroma - piney.

T: High hop bitterness. Not resiny. Pretty clean taste for an IPA. Caramel malty backbone barely perceptable. Wish it was a little maltier. Hop flavor is citrusy but I also picked up a combo of pine/floral.

MF: Medium light body. Slightly astringent. Not too carbonated. Pretty clean and crisp for an IPA of such hoppiness.

D: I have no problem knocking a couple of these back. Arguably the premier West Coast IPA.

01-21-2007 16:54:11 | More by Nipitato
veech

Tennessee

I haven't reviewed in a while so please forgive any rustiness.

A: Deep golden to light amber in color with abundant frothy head that is very resilient. Excellent lacing persists as one drinks their way through the beer.
S: Hop oils dominate with a hint of pine needle astringence
T: Very smooth but hoppy with bitterness that is balance. Minimal maltiness, but the hopped character is kept in check. The flavors are not just hops for hops sake in an IPA.
M: medium bodied and smooth on the palate, very nice
D: Not being a hophead I would limit myself to one a session, but could see how lupulin lovers could session this stuff. As expected, another well crafted offering from the boys in San Diego.

01-18-2007 13:45:32 | More by veech
StargherKing

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Color was a hazy amber color, lightening near the bottom of the glass and darker at the top. Head was full and fluffy, dissipated after a couple of minutes. Once poured, the beer had a slight floral hop scent, with a strong undercurrent of citrus, specifically something reminiscent of grapefruit. The taste was true to the description on the bottle, very bitter hops, with the grapefruit coming through as well. The mouthfeel was slightly crisp, with a good deal of carbonation. Considering the strong hop flavor, one would expect the beer to taste somewhat crisper, but it almost seemed dulled somehow. The drinkability is surprisingly good. I'm personally not a fan of the deep bitter flavor in this one, but I'm sure fans of the style would LOVE this beer. I would recommend it to fans of IPAs, but for me, I think I'll probably pass next time.

01-18-2007 01:43:50 | More by StargherKing
Butch

Mississippi

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

Butch

01-14-2007 12:29:58 | More by Butch
doppelmeup

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Honey yellow color with only a slight head. Lacing remains throughout.

Bit of skunkiness, reminding me of some pilsener beers I've had. Slight grapefruit. Not the best smelling IPA I've had.

Taste is ok. Moderately bitter with grapefruit flavors leading, followed by some sweet malt. As it warms, flavor improves.

Slightly sticky, slightly dry mouthfeel. ABV well hidden, goes down very easily.

Overall, a good beer from Stone but not all that memorable.

01-11-2007 14:12:02 | More by doppelmeup
UncleJimbo

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

This IPA poured a hazy, light amber color. The foam was flouffy and faintly yellow, and it persisted a long time and clinged to the inside of the glass. The smell was light floral hops with a little malt. The taste was malty and a touch sweet with moderate hoppiness. Alcohol was tasted, and there was a light hint of oxidation. The mouthfeel was smooth and hoppy with medium body and moderate carbonation. It was relatively clean. This was a good, easy to drink IPA.

01-11-2007 04:40:26 | More by UncleJimbo
PhiloPsych

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Although IPA is not my favorite style, I must say this is a very good beer. Goes perfect with Indian food (which is what I paired it with for this review). The color is a pretty, clear, bright, light, pumpkin orange. The head is moderate and bubbly. It doesn't last long (though it doesn't dissipate immediately either), but leaves light lacing all the way down. The aroma is really great. The hops are very nice. The mouthfeel is full, almost creamy even, not watery at all. The carbonation is moderate with just the right amount of bite. The taste is somewhat complex, well-balanced, and overall just very well-constructed. This is a good example of Stone's good work.

01-09-2007 04:35:45 | More by PhiloPsych
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.