Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Wow I was excited to try this beer.

Looks good. Not great. A cloudy orangey yellow with a nice nearly white head that fades pretty quickly, but leaves ok lacing. Edit, must have had a less than perfect glass. This time it looks great, plenty of lacing, though the head does fade quickish so its a 4.5 not a 5.

Smells great. Infact, I cant fault it. Im going the 5. I get rich citrussy flavours, which are integrated superbly well with the caramelly notes from the malt. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple - its all there and wonderful.

For me, a perfectly balanced IPA. Bitterness is big, and doesnt make any apologies about it. However, it sits atop a very good malt backbone offering caramel-like sweetness to support the hop assault. The hop profile in the nose translates well. Could be perhaps a tiiiiny bit more hop flavour, which is why im giving it a 4.5 not a 5. That may be due to the journey it's been on though.

Feels exceptional in the mouth. Smooth, but doesnt stick around too long and the huge hop profile leaves that typical dryness on the walls of your mouth. This is the kind of beer that, for me, deserves an unreasonably high rating. It is pretty much everything I would want in an IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A - golden with a nice head

S- citrus a lot of hop

T - very bitter, very citrus

M- medium body, good carbonation.

D- exelent IPA I love this one of stone

This is my first review and I,m happy that Was with this beautiful IPA I hope that soon we can get this beer in a better price I buy itt for 7 dls aprox ( the bottle)

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a 1 pt. 6 oz. bottle after a long day at work. If you like imperial IPAs, you'll like this one. Forms a good head. Dark coppery color, and a tad murky. Smells good. This beer is very rich, and tastes more like an imperial IPA than just a regular one. It's hearty with a good sweet-bitter balance. Unfortunately not really what I'm usually looking for in an IPA--just a little too intense for casual drinking. It's a tasty ale, very indulgent.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass

A: bright golden copper with nice foamy head.

S: great amount of hops and citrus.

T: bitter like any good IPA. Fairly strong amount of spiciness.

M: decent carbonation with a medium body mouthfeel.

D: goes down easily. one of my favorite summer IPA's

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured into standard pint glass--

It is a darker golden color, with bone white head rising 3 fingers. Very thick sheets of lace.

Sweet malty smell and a piney/resin hop presence. Taste has sweet caramel malt with a pine hop bitterness. Huge abrasive bitterness. The hop oil really coats your mouth and teeth, leaving everything feeling dirty and gritty.

This has good carbonation, but overall, this just isn't my preferred take on an American IPA. There is really not a whole lot of "taste" or flavor to this, just huge bitterness. It feels like that was the intent though, so I'm not giving this a negative review. I would prefer a Bell's Two Hearted over this any day of the week.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Bomber, poured into a pint glass, looks awesome, smells awesome as well, I am ready to try this beer. Bitter for an IPA, but the bitterness is welcome, I actually like this better than the ruination, because it is not over the top with bitterness.

Very hoppy, as I expected from a Stone IPA, hits you in the mouth, no disappointment here, most of the taste is the bitterness of the hops, I can catch a little sweetness as well, but I do feel the bitterness can be a little over-powering and mask other flavors in the beer. Maybe that is the intent. I have noticed I have had these a little after the drink before date, maybe they are not as fresh as they need to be, and something is getting lost. But I feel there is a lack of complexity in this beer that is lacking.

I do like the beer, definitely is a quality IPA that I will be drinking when I can, but I do feel some flavors are dominant and you are not able to taste other things in the beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle with a best-by date of 7/06/10 subtely stamped on the back.

A solid-gold color with amber tinge pours a frothy white head resembling melted ice cream. Sturdy, lasting carbonation.

Dry, leafy, herbal hop scent with an understated sugar-malt sweetness.

Flavor is smooth, herbal statement of hops. Very dry, earthy with only a hint of malt sweetness. Fairly light and quite refreshing on the palate. Not quite the puckering bitter, astringent effect you get from some IPAs, but instead a cleansing hoppiness which is dangerously drinkable.

Excellent alternative for those who tire of sweeter IPAs. Some may regard this as one of the gold standards in "West Coast IPAs" for that reason.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

looks cloudy orange with a 1 inch creamy head, leads on buttery biscuit with hints of citrus and pine, it has a lot going on in aroma and taste, very complex. taste has a bitter end with a bready initial taste. the bitterness is more piney than citrus. the mouthfeel and the flavor go along together.
at 6.9 abv this certainly is very drinkable. however at 11.99 a 6'er around here. i can pick out about 20 beers that are cheaper and better.

pick some up if you're rollin in the dough.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pale orange with finger of off-white head that lasts. Pretty.

S - Citrusy, piney, hops. Also, some biscuity malt flavor sneeks in.

T - Hop resin, mostly the citrus and pine that you pick up in the aroma, but also scallions/onions. I wouldn't say this is bad though, it blends in well in the finish. Good malt sweetness to balance. Lasting hop bitterness.

M - Silky smooth, soft carbonation, medium body.

D - This is a joy to drink. Very tasty, satisfying, and refreshing.

I actually like this better than Ruination. I feel it has more balance. Top-notch IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Wow. I'm just starting to appreciate hoppy beers and this is the hoppiest beer I've tried so far. Delicious herbal and pine flavors come through extra strong, incredibly crisp, dry beer..but smooth all at once. Nice head retention. Looking forward to trying other offerings from Stone. If you're into hops, give this one a try!

2.23/5  rDev -47.2%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A: gold and slightly copper, with a nice clarity. Large rocky head and sticky lace.

S: Orange, Bread notes, and sweet, sugary smell I can't quite place. Some light fruit scent as well, maybe a little bit of peach?

T: Bitter and slightly acidic tasting up front, and sweet and smooth on the end, just as a good ipa should be. I detect citrus, sweet bready flavor, a hint of a yeast characteristic, which is intriguing, since most ipas are super clean. This one is still clean, but has a little bit of estery flavor to it. Nice and dry in the finish.

M: Very good mouthfeel, Nice and chewy for an ipa. I sense a good amount of body from the crystal malts.

D: you could knock a sixer of these back in a sitting! The dry finish and the hoppy sensation is quite refreshing. the beer is sweet and full enough to please your palate as well. All around an interesting and good ipa.

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a 16 Oz. dimpled mug.
Where do I start?!
From the immense delicious head and traditional strawberry blonde haze that typifies a classic IPA to the intense spicy hoppyness, this is one incredible American-style IPA. Probably the best one I've tried yet.
The lacing is worth a note. It covers the whole glass, right to the bottom.
One point I need to make about this Beer, is that it isn't Hopped to the point where the Malty character doesn't come through. It's there, sure enough and perfectly balances the brew.
Although the ABV is fairly low, a few of these at the bar would still warrant a designated driver. It hits the brain like liquid Marijuana! Be advised and drink (ir)responsibly. (and I'm no light-weight.)
This is a classic that nobody should go through a lifetime without trying.
Essential!

---Edit---
Every time I do an IPA tasting, this one still comes out on top.
If there was a higher rating than an A+ I would give it to this Beer. The bottled version is astounding. On tap, it's enough to provoke spontaneous combustion.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A very hazy golden color, with a bubbly, rocky head. Decent retention, and nice lace stick.

Smell: Floral and herbal hops. Surprising spicy aroma.

Taste: No real malt presence, we go straight the a strong hop taste. I really enjoy the herbal spiciness that protrudes and stays through the whole sip. There is still a nice sweetness here. Strong hop bitterness during the sip, and the aftertaste is quite bitter as well.

Mouthfeel: One thing I will never say about a Stone Brew is that it is not smooth, and this is no exception. Medium carbonation, but with a strong taste it drinks with a medium / full body.

Drinkability: West coast ultra hopped tastiness. Not for the faint of palette. It would be natural to think a beer this hoppy would not be drinkable. Stone is insulted by that way of thinking, don't let it happen again.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Beautiful white fluffy head that takes up half my Duvel tulip and color is bright yellow and amber.

S: Sweet, tart, tangy. Very much grapefruit but a lot sweeter. Hops aren't really that prominent to me in the nose.

T: Nice little hop kick upfront with lots of fruity and tangy notes. Has a very clean finish.

M: Has a nice thickness to it almost in a thick stout category to me. Lays nicely on the tongue.

D: Very easy drinking. Hard to not gulp. Carbonation and thickness is spot on.

This stuff is crazy. It is an IPA that drinks like an DIPA. How do they pack all that flavor into this beer? Stone are masters at their game.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

-Poured a light amber color

-Strong and evident smell from the hops, always a good sign

-Right amount of hops, malt, and carbonation, tastes great

-Excellent IPA, one of my favorites, highly recommended. Only downside to this is beer is that it tend to be pricey.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Great IPA with a strong citrus aroma, specifically grapefruit. Is reminiscent of a wheat beer in appearance but not as cloudy and certainly doesn't taste that way. The pine flavor of many hoppy beers isn't as overwhelming as many other IPAs but it certainly packs the same wallop.

It as a nice white head and the lacing is good, doesn't stick to the entire wall of the glass but certainly lets you know it's there. Definitely a beer that you can drink in large gulps so be careful.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Gotta love the Stone bottles. "enjoy by" date is about 5 days from now. Gold with a nice frothy/foamy top. Good lacing and retention.

S - Citrus sweet, some pine, all hops

T&M - semi-sweet upfront with a mild citrus note then a strong herbal hop bite that lingers on the finish. Med to med thin feel.

D - Not bad, I'd have another..

A good IPA, would try again on draft or a fresher bottle.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A: One finger head that stays around for the entire beer. Hazy gold with light orange hues. Sticky lacing all the way down.
S: Sweet, some hops, piney, floral and a bit of citrus.
T: Very bitter, More pine and floral than the citrus flavors I enjoy more.
M: Medium mouthfeel, nice sharp carbonation.
D: Nice lingering bitterness, lack of more citrus flavors is somewhat disappointing..

This was a very good IPA just not my favorite. Personally I like more citrus in my IPA. Solid overall. Bottle is 3 months old which may have hurt the hop aroma. Will definitely try again, hopefully a fresher bottle.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottled April 13, 2010. 2 weeks old is as fresh as I ever see Stone 'round here.

Pours pale golden/amber with a good white head that maintains a foamy cap and leaves some nice spots and rings of lacing.

Aroma is a blast of pine up front, some citrus, grapefruit, touch of floral & grass, and a hint of bready malt.

Flavor is bitter & hoppy, pine, earthy, citrus rind, a little bit of malt sweetness and a nice long bitter finish. Not incredibly complex, but very tasty.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, sharp carbonation.

This drinks really easy and is an exceptional IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Glassware: English-Style Pint Glass

This is my first Stone IPA although it isn't my first Stone beer. I must say that I wish I would have tried this first as I find it to be an excellent beer. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Stone Ruination IPA

This IPA looks as good as it drinks with a two plus finger head and a slightly cloudy amber color. The head had fair staying power although it retreated faster than I would have hoped. I seldom impart this to the beer but rather my glassware and dish washer. Lacing was good as well.

The smell was crisp, clean and not too strong. It had good hoppy floral notes.

The bitterness although good was definitely not overpowering making this a great everyday drinker. I really enjoyed this beer and I feel like this could be ideal in the heat of summer or by a fire in the depths of winter. One note is that there was a slight aftertaste that was not easy to identify, it almost creates a powdery feeling on the back of the tongue.

I would definitely recommend this beer to fellow craft brew fans and macro brew drinkers alike.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

First Review Ever
First Stone Ever:

Poured into pint glass - Deep permiable orange with solid head. Lacing very true throughout drink. Left rings

S - citrus hops! As to be expected with the style, could not pick up much malt, I guess that comes with experience.

T - As it smells, hops dominate the beer and leaves with a fruity after taste on the tongue.

M - great carbonation; very light in body but hops are still overwhelming.

D - Burned through the first two but slowed as the alcohol caught up to me. This is a strong beer and I felt the need to switch to something lighter. With more experience in craft brews I could learn to appreciate this brew a bit more.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Poped the cap on a 22oz bottle and shared with a friend. Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy golden color with a frothy three finger head. The head settles to a film after a few minutes. The smell is a lovely bouquet of hops. There are citrus and grassy notes. The first sip...a nice maltyness that quickly fades to the hops. This beer has a great backbone on it. The beer is hoppy but balanced. The mouth is nice. This beer is pretty much what I look for in an American IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance - Light amber or golden with quite a bit of carbonization, it poured with a thick one finger head that lingers.

Aroma - Spicy yet sweet, citrus and floral aromas with a bready smell that I pick up very lightly.

Taste - Very hoppy throughout but it ends up being well balanced with a caramel sweet flavor.

Mouth Feel - Very smooth and silky.

Drinkability - This is a well balanced IPA and very tasty. I loved it!

Appearance: Pours with a 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a light layer on top & a nice lacing throughout drinking. Golden color with a slight haze

Smell: This beer smells amazing. The hops aroma flows right through you.

Taste: Tastes better than it smells.

Mouthfeel: Goes down clean with a nice hoppy finish, leaving your mouth watering after every drink.

Drinkability: Yes!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.