Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle to glass. Clear yellow-orange, soapy head, lacing is great. Smell is good, juicy fruit and some spice. Taste is much heavier in the hops than malt, but not too off balance. Bitter finish makes you want another sip to get the malt back for a couple seconds. Very drinkable, well done.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: an ever so slightly hazy golden pour with a nice 2 finger head

Smell: Well its certainly an IPA. You can taste sweet hops in the smell. Seem like a few herbs and spices made they're way in with the hops.

Taste: Hops, spices and herbal galore. Maybe a litte pine and grapefruit in there too. hints of sweetness that warms your core. man its good.

Mouthfeel: its bitter, yet it encompasses just the right amount of smoothness to go down right. This IPA leaves jsut the right amount of hoppy flavor in your mouth when you done.

Drinkablility: This is one drinkable IPA, and at 6.9% you might have to be a little careful, because this sucker will sneak up on you.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Dogfish Head pint glass. (went for an east meets west sort of vibe)

A: Poured a very clean golden amber color with a slight orange tinge and a nice, fluffy, one and a half finger head of dense white foam which leaves some nice sticky lace.

S: Big, sweet grapefruits and very herbal hop aromas with the heavy scent of pine.

T: Taste is sweet and nicely malty at first, with a quick flash of toasted roll and wheat before the rush of burning, sweet, citrusy hops floods the palate. The finish is big pine and grapefruit with loads of oily resins sticking around for a burning aftertaste. Produces burps like the pilot light went out.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and really quite creamy. This enhances the malt flavor to add a little more balance to the big hop flavors.

D: Hey now, that's a drinkable IPA! Pretty good balance and a super creamy mouthfeel for a fruity and hoppy ale. The 6.9% ABV is manageable for a session, but I could see doing a lot of damage with this one.

Just a little bit smoother than DFH 60 minute with an extra kick. A really great intro brew for strangers to Stone looking to start out with some of the big guns.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured a clear bright amber color with lively carbonation. Thick fluffy white head with lots of sticky lacing.

Floral scent, as well as a variety of spices, and some fruit.

Herbs and spices were most notable at first, a little piney, some grains, and very hoppy.

Medium bodied, creamy feel with moderate carbonation.

This is an excellent beer all around, very complex and flavorful.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

LOOK - A light copper orange with lots of lacing so far and a white foamy head. Looks to be quite carbonated.

SMELL - A dry bitter hoppy smell with a citrus edge that is grassy and sweet smelling. The malt offers the nose a bit more sweetness then I expected. A bit orangey.

TASTE - Hops hit first with the floral bitterness that instantly share the space with a lemony citrus taste. The back end is more bitterness again. Well balanced.

MOUTH FEEL - Nice and thick enough to deliver the taste all over.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance is hazy orangish yellow with 3 fingers of head that dissipates to about 1/2 a finger.

Smells of floral hops and resiny pine. Little to no citrus on the nose, let alone any malt.

As far as taste goes, hops are the show here, starting with a mild bite and slowly becoming more aggressive in the mid palate, where the first signs of a slight malt flavor also make themselves known. The aftertaste has some of that same malt sweetness, but begins to get pushed out by the ever increasing hoppiness, which lingers on and on.

Mouthfeel is nice, with significant bite from the hops. Medium carbonation works well with the rest of the beer. I could have one of two tops before my tongue begin to beg for mercy.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint.

A - Poured a nice tawny gold. Completely clear with a really nice, frothy white head. Not much visible carbonation at all except for some lazy guys floating to the surface every few seconds. Leaves some lacing.

S - This is what I've been drinking for the last few days, and I've been trying to get a good handle on the nose. Citrus notes are dominant. Orange peel and grapefruit, but while they're fragrant, they aren't overpowering. The smell is very similar to grated orange peel. Some light, bready malt is detectable in the background.

T - The hops are slightly herbal, but they're mostly dominated by citrus flavors. Orange rind and a sort of tangerine note lead into some really nice bitterness that's more reminiscent of fruit pith. Like the smell, it's not overpowering. This is all matched by a pretty light malt profile that's pretty sweet and slightly doughy.

MF - Pretty thin. When I first cracked the case, I thought it was too thin, but previous to that I went through a case of Green Flash IPA, which is much more full bodied. I enjoy the feel a lot more now. It's thin with light carbonation and pretty slick. Fairly sticky.

D - The best. Probably THE most drinkable beer I know. It finishes only slightly sweet and a bit dry, which brings me right back in. A big reason for my purchase was knowing how crisp and refreshing it was.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Bright, hazy amber-gold body topped by half an inch of fine white foam; decent retention and good lacing. Pretty standard.

S: Initial wave of deep, resinous hops - definitely grapefruit - followed by some dry biscuity malt and some floral hops to boot. Quite nice.

T: Pretty straightforward hop goodness, with a brief glow of round sweetness in the middle drowned out with an overwhelming (but entirely welcome) tide of pure hop bitterness on the finish. Delicious, and exactly what I expect from a serious IPA.

M: Medium bodied with great carbonation - full and soft. The hops scrub the palate clean with every sip. Great.

D: So purely bitter that this really isn't all that sessionable - I had two last night at a party, and then decided to switch to something with a lower ABV and a more balanced flavor profile. I prefer to savor this hop bomb at my leisure.

Notes: All around, this is a terrific IPA, and I'm very excited to be able to get it in CT now; however, there are other IPAs that I prefer, especially for the price (I think we're getting gouged as a new market, as the six pack I picked up last night cost $14 with tax and deposit - pretty steep). I'll probably only get this one on tap from now on, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for it.

Cheers!

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours a nice, quite clear, golden yellow color. A finger of head sits at the top of my glass. As the head dies down with the amount of beer in my glass, I'm left with with a few bubbles on top that look mouth drooling hop oily. Oh, and the lacing on this is covering my glass. A good sign.

Smell: The nose is fantastic. A very strong citrus aroma is hopping out of this beer. A mixture of orange and grapefruit, but mostly grapefruit on this.

Taste: A nice blend of caramel malt makes its appearance first. Following the malt comes a wave of hops and their oils. A mixture of orange and grapefruit make their appearance. I'm left with a nice hop aftertaste which is mostly earthy, a blend of pine, soil and some grapefruit zest. Then comes the alcohol. Is it supposed to be shining through like this? I doubt it. The alcohol aftertaste is really showing its head, and this is only a high end six percent beer.

Mouthfeel: I really wish there was just a tad less carbonation on this. This beer goes down smoothly, but when it first splashes across the palate the carbonation is a bit much, and I wish it was just a tad less to make it a little more creamy.

Drinkability: An IPA with a great look, nose and initially a great flavor. It's too bad the alcohol showed its head so much. Nonetheless, an IPA that will end up in my crate again in the future.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

The appearance is a great dark golden color that has a two finger frothy white head. The lacing was light.

The smell is great, as all Stone Brews are. The hop aroma fills the nostrils and brings a smile onto any hop lovers face.

The taste is good, but I do have a question. If you brew Ruination, one of the best, why bother with another IPA? This is no doubtingly a good IPA but Ruination is . . well Ruination.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are good. A session beer.

J

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: cloudy golden-straw color with a two-finger foamy white head and a nice lace.

Smell: big hops; earthy and a little floral. I quite like it.

Taste: super hoppy. There is no semblance of balance here and I'm sure that's the point. Hops are very fresh tasting; grassy, earthy, spicy and floral all at the same time. Malt is imperceptible under the hop assault.

Mouthfeel: medium body with nice carbonation; not bad but I'm not crazy about it.

Drinkability: quite refreshing, actually, despite the somewhat high ABV and large hop presence. I'm sure it would go great with a steak.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

I love hops. DFH 60 minute, Smutty...these are nrmally my "go-to's". But Stone has moved up to the #1 spot on my IPA list. The quality Stone puts into every minute detail is extraordinary!!!! If only every American company could model themselves afer Stone...we'd find ourselves in a new era on the global stage.

As soon as the bottle is opened, there's no sense of balance whatsoever, unless your idea of balance is hoppy. On the nose, in the pour, in the color, lacing....all denotes hops. Just a brief hint of maltiness in the middle, then more hops in the finish. That malt and of course the IPA are the only differences between this and Ruination.

Like I said...I'm a Smutty and DFH guy, but with Stone a recent addition to Maryland offerings, it hasn't taken long to make onto my favorite's list.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Very nice dark amber, with a off white head that left some magnificent lacing down the glass. Lasted a while.

Smell - very piney, lots of hops, crisp citrus notes that are amazing. Very fragrant. This is what an IPA should smell like.

Taste - Very nice and crisp, carbonation is perfect for this brew. Lots of critrus and grapefruit notes.

Mouthfeel -feels light and crisp.

Drinkability - I could definitely have a few of these without any problems. It wasn't as hoppy as I thought it was going to be but don't be mislead, there is a good amount of flavorful hops to be had in this one.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

poured into a schnifter. pours a light copper with about a finger of medium bodied white head which disappears quickly and leaves stringy lacing.

smells very yeasty, a bit of malt sweetness with an alright piney hop presence.

tastes only a tad piney. very well balanced malt and hop flavors. was hoping for more hop flavor in a ipa though. still not bad

this is one of the best beginner beers out there as it is readily available almost anywhere and is relatively inexpensive. not one of the best ipas but it certainly has earned its reputation.

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz bottle with no freshness date. I like the label, very cool.

Appearance is a golden yellow, with deep amber down the middle. Very long lasting, sticky, big bubbled head. Incredible lacing. This beer really looks near perfect.

I could smell this one the second I cracked the top. Huge hop aroma. Citrus and piney, this is what makes American IPA great. Just enough fuity, alcoholy malt underneat to not be a total hop bomb. This is the definition of the style.

Taste is, of course, of bitter, orange and lemony hops. They are spicy, just a bit sour like grapefruit and balanced oh so well by a backbone of doughy, light and crisp malt. Fills your mouth with great flavor! I was in total happiness drinking this. I could barely put it down...

Great mouthfeel. Oily, but not overdone. Coats the whole palate nicely. Drinkability is HUGE. I wish I savored this bomber a bit more, in fact.

In my mind, belongs in the top tier of go-to American IPAs. A must try for every beer lover.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass hazey orange with a thick white head. Great lacing all the way down. Smell is a tough one. I had to pull a glass from my dishwasher, which needs to be cleaned of lime deposits, so all I'm getting is the lime smell from the terrible local water. The taste had a very pronounced hop bite up front, and it's missing the bad after taste that some IPA's have that I find unappealing. It's a very smooth ale, that might be a little light in the mouthfeel. But overall this is one of my favorite AIPA's.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Amber color with light lacing, relatively clear but not pristine

S: Pine/floral aroma is rather apparent along with a hint of citrus

T: Resiny/grapefruit bitterness at the front with malt complexity adding to the mix. Lingering bitterness is pleasant

M: A medium-to-light bodied beer that's finishes cleanly with the hops. Lightly carbonated

D: I could definitely down a few more of these, a top-notch IPA

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle with no freshness date. I like stone's labels but on an overly critical note, I must say the font they use on the bottle's neck is a little bit corny-looking.

Pours a straw/gold, with an exceptionally long lasting 1.5 finger head, leaving some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen. This beer looks fantastic.

Aroma is dominated by resiny pine, with some citrus notes and whiffs of a fruity malt.

First taste impression is of spicy, pungently bitter American hops. Grapefruit is present , the malt backbone of the beer is strong and steps into the forefront in the second act, offering a bready, distinctly earthy finish that is crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is on point, moderate carbonation, very clean, fairly light in body and not overly oily.

I have not had this old favorite in some time now, and tasting it again I find it every bit as delicious as I remembered. Exceptionally delicious, it is crisp and ideally balanced. I find the malt profile of this beer slightly unusual with a welcome earthiness, rounding things out perfectly and setting this brew apart from its peers. In my mind an exemplary American IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: An orangish yellow gold. Somewhere between a beastly 2.5- 3 finger length head, lacing remains and slides slowly down the glass

Smell: has a definite sweet and caramel, hop filled aroma, theres also a lemony citrus that really fills your nose

Taste: the bitter hops don't hide themselves at all, they come right for your taste buds, but leaves a nice creamy sensation on your tongue as the beer moves down your throat. There like a hint of sweetness underneath this strongly bitter ipa along with a citrusy flavor

Mouthfeel: its smooth, and the bitter hops come out more in the aftertaste with feel. The soapy carbonation tickles your tongue.

Drinkability: It has a decent drinkability depending on what you like, if you are into the less malty bitter ipa's you will definitely like this one. Even though it has a lot of bitter to deliver it still is smooth and creamy, which, to me, stands out. Id prefer it had a little bit more maltiness to it, but don't get me wrong its definitely good.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz into a standard pint, the first thing you notice is the head. Easily 3 finger length with room to spare that turns into a thick fluffy soap-like lacing that slides down the glass like a slugtrail. The color is a translucent straw yellow with not a hint of carbonation in sight after initial pour.

Smell: The aroma is a nice bouquet of hops, herbaceous and citrusy they sure smell delightful. There are some esters that fight through but the hops reign supreme on this one.

Taste: Has a nice hop character which really pleases a hop head like me. The hops have it all from grassy to piney and even some citrus. There is also a side of grain and biscuit like characters that come out to play. Past the bountiful bitter lies a trace of sweetness which is then covered up like a bad habit upon notice.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth and quite creamy, leaves behind that signature 'bastard was here' stamp on your palate.

Drinkability: This is a staple IPA in my opinion, goes down easy and drinks like a big boy brew at only 6.9 abv%

Overall: Hopheads abound this is your beer, has enough bitter but isn't face puckering. Drops the bomb and laughs in your face for it. Prefer a less hopped beer well as stone would say. 'youre not worthy'

I will have to be more careful when I scoop from the singles bin: this one was best before May 17, 2009 (about four months ago). Regardless, it turned out to be a very good beer just the same, just not a high spirited IPA I might have otherwise have enjoyed. Poured a hazy, orange-tangerine gold with a half finger white head. A cloudy centre remained with a good ring, spotty lace. Smell of citrus hops, sweet and fruity, bit of rind in the mix. Taste is still hop forward although grapefruit affect muted for the most part; still there is a discernible citrus taste with sufficient bitterness and plenty of biscuit malt in the finish. Mouthfeel still has a lot of liveliness, hoppy but with an even, balanced acidity and nice texture. Very drinkable. A nice IPA even though its' best days were behind it, love to try it again fresher sometime.

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed on tap at Spitzer's in NYC.

A - poured a golden copper with a very nice head

S - smelled of sweet malt and a load of hops

T - the malts that are present are quickly overtaken by the piney, bitter hops. This was pretty unbalanced and too bitter to make it enjoyable.

M - goes down smoothly and a little thin

D - average drinkability. If you dislike super bitter IPAs, stay clear of this one; otherwise, I think you'l enjoy this one. Personally, I thought this was okay - it was very bitter at first but after a couple of drinks the bitterness became tolerable. Definitely not a bad IPA, just okay.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

22 oz bomber poured half into a Guinness glass.

Poured a beautiful pale orange/straw color. A little hazy, maybe unfiltered. No sediment in the bottle. Awesome rocky, foamy head, retention was OK, but did leave awesome lacing on the glass.

Smells awesome! Very different than Pliny or Blind Pig. I was expecting all of these west coast IPAs to kind of follow suit with each other. Some citrus in there with a surprisingly strong biscuity malt backbone. Very nicely balanced. The more I sniff, the more I start getting some earthly piney hops. As it warms the alcohol starts coming through in the nose as well.

Its a medium body brew with a tiny amount of residual sweetness left at the end and a nice malty character. Oddly, not what I was expecting, the first thing you notice in the taste is the malt, then the hops coming racing in a overpower everything. The first hops that I taste are the citrus and piney hops together in a great balance. Then the bitterness jumps in. It tastes like orange rind maybe, with a lot of earthiness. Nice carbonation for the style. As it warms, the bitterness progresses. Nice and dry on the finish with a great malty backbone balanced by the bitterness.

Overall a great brew! For an IIPA this hits the spot. Drinkability is crazy good. Dangerous brew. I burned through the 22 ozer pretty easily. Would be fantastic to pair with some food. Very, very impressed. Unlike anything that I have ever had before, the balance is crazy amazing.

Outstanding, epic beer. Balanced, balanced, balanced. Obviously a hop bomb, but the crafting of the grain bill and malt character of this beer shows the love and care that the brewers put into it. If this was available in Missouri, this would find a nice home in our fridge. Going to be the traditional American style IIPA that I compare all others of the same style to...

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light gold semi clear with a big white and very good lacing.

Its aroma is very hoppy with light notes of honey and citrus.

The taste is just overwhelmingly hoppy. Thats all that dominates throughout the whole tasting instead of a very nice bite at the end. Just too bitter to be a great IPA.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.