Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Stone IPA was one of my early entree's into the hop world of which now I'm completely infatuated with.

A- this bottle poured orangy/peach color and nicely filled a pint glass with a 1/2 inch head.

S- crisp and floral from the get-go. I love this. My wife hates it....ok, more for me!

T- again, this was my entree into this hop fest world, and now I'm always chasing and trying any thing I can find in the DIPA/TIPA realm. When I'm chillin at home getting things done, this bottle always tastes good. It's in my top tier of single IPA's. (with greenflash, victory, alesmith, a few others).

M- crisp and refreshing

D- Can I have another? and another? and another?

ChazMania, Jan 26, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first review.

Very light amber/golden color, small weak white head even with a semi-aggresive pour which disappeared immediately. Looks harmless enough.

Smells great, massive fresh hop aroma indiciative of the two weeks spent dry-hopping, somewhat fruity, grassy, floral, and pretty dank as well.

Extreme hop flavor, citrusy, sweetness and bitterness are very balanced, and in fact, doesn't seem all that bitter while drinking, although a hoppy bitterness lingers at the back of the tongue afterwards. Quite pleasant overall.

A bit thick, but smooth, and the carbonation is on target for the style. Nothing spectacular, but more than adequate.

This is very drinkable, one of the more drinkable IPAs I've tried. Goes down surprisingly easy for something which is approaching 7% ABV. Advise caution with this guy.

Torchiest, Jan 26, 2007
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured a light amber color with a small off-white head that faded down quickly. Stable aromas of floral hops, citrus, even some slight skunky quality in there. Taste shows more than the aromas with an even and refreshing hop bite (citrus, pine), perfect carbonation, very smooth and highly drinkable, especially for an IPA. Definitely recommended.

lehows, Jan 24, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +9%

Appearance- Pours crystal clear light amber with a failry billowy head. Head has some staying power, but not to much. Very good lacing for an IPA.

Aroma- Interesting blend of floral hops and sourness. Can't identify the sour componant, but it smells great.

Taste- Very good balance between agressive flavoring hops, bittering hops and malt sweetness. This is a very sessionable IPA.

Mouthfeel- Thick for an IPA, but it works!!! Good carbonation level. Clings to the inside of your mouth, which is a good thing, because I love them hops!!!

Drinkability- Very drinkable for an IPA. The hops are very noticable without banging you over the head. One of the best IPAs out there.

theopholis, Jan 24, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked up a bomber at Marty's Wine and Liqours in Allston, MA.

A:Deep golden color with nice white head.

S:Strong resinous hoppy aroma - piney.

T: High hop bitterness. Not resiny. Pretty clean taste for an IPA. Caramel malty backbone barely perceptable. Wish it was a little maltier. Hop flavor is citrusy but I also picked up a combo of pine/floral.

MF: Medium light body. Slightly astringent. Not too carbonated. Pretty clean and crisp for an IPA of such hoppiness.

D: I have no problem knocking a couple of these back. Arguably the premier West Coast IPA.

Nipitato, Jan 21, 2007

I haven't reviewed in a while so please forgive any rustiness.

A: Deep golden to light amber in color with abundant frothy head that is very resilient. Excellent lacing persists as one drinks their way through the beer.
S: Hop oils dominate with a hint of pine needle astringence
T: Very smooth but hoppy with bitterness that is balance. Minimal maltiness, but the hopped character is kept in check. The flavors are not just hops for hops sake in an IPA.
M: medium bodied and smooth on the palate, very nice
D: Not being a hophead I would limit myself to one a session, but could see how lupulin lovers could session this stuff. As expected, another well crafted offering from the boys in San Diego.

veech, Jan 18, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Color was a hazy amber color, lightening near the bottom of the glass and darker at the top. Head was full and fluffy, dissipated after a couple of minutes. Once poured, the beer had a slight floral hop scent, with a strong undercurrent of citrus, specifically something reminiscent of grapefruit. The taste was true to the description on the bottle, very bitter hops, with the grapefruit coming through as well. The mouthfeel was slightly crisp, with a good deal of carbonation. Considering the strong hop flavor, one would expect the beer to taste somewhat crisper, but it almost seemed dulled somehow. The drinkability is surprisingly good. I'm personally not a fan of the deep bitter flavor in this one, but I'm sure fans of the style would LOVE this beer. I would recommend it to fans of IPAs, but for me, I think I'll probably pass next time.

StargherKing, Jan 18, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

Butch

Butch, Jan 14, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Honey yellow color with only a slight head. Lacing remains throughout.

Bit of skunkiness, reminding me of some pilsener beers I've had. Slight grapefruit. Not the best smelling IPA I've had.

Taste is ok. Moderately bitter with grapefruit flavors leading, followed by some sweet malt. As it warms, flavor improves.

Slightly sticky, slightly dry mouthfeel. ABV well hidden, goes down very easily.

Overall, a good beer from Stone but not all that memorable.

doppelmeup, Jan 11, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

This IPA poured a hazy, light amber color. The foam was flouffy and faintly yellow, and it persisted a long time and clinged to the inside of the glass. The smell was light floral hops with a little malt. The taste was malty and a touch sweet with moderate hoppiness. Alcohol was tasted, and there was a light hint of oxidation. The mouthfeel was smooth and hoppy with medium body and moderate carbonation. It was relatively clean. This was a good, easy to drink IPA.

UncleJimbo, Jan 11, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Although IPA is not my favorite style, I must say this is a very good beer. Goes perfect with Indian food (which is what I paired it with for this review). The color is a pretty, clear, bright, light, pumpkin orange. The head is moderate and bubbly. It doesn't last long (though it doesn't dissipate immediately either), but leaves light lacing all the way down. The aroma is really great. The hops are very nice. The mouthfeel is full, almost creamy even, not watery at all. The carbonation is moderate with just the right amount of bite. The taste is somewhat complex, well-balanced, and overall just very well-constructed. This is a good example of Stone's good work.

PhiloPsych, Jan 09, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a clear deep golden pale orange with a thin white sticky head. A little too light and pale to stand up to the best IPA's.

S - Faint light aroma of resiny piney hops. Hint of lemon also present. The aroma could be a bit bolder but it does start to build nicely as the beer warms.

T - Piney, resinous, grapefruit with a mild bitterness that grows as you drink.

M- Light to medium and nicely carbonated. Bitter but not too dry of a finish.

D - This beer seemed a little light in the beginning but became a very nice IPA by the finish. It dinks a lot easier than a 6.9% ABV IPA also. This could easily be an everyday drinker.

brewcrew76, Jan 07, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A: From a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Smith's pint glass, it pours a slightly hazy (chill hazed?) golden coppery orange with a bubbly 1-finger white head. A small amount of bubbles rise to refortify the head and as I drink my way down the glass it leaves clumpy remnants of the head behind.

S: A wonderful aroma -- fruity hops dominate, with grapefruit taking hold of the wheel but ripe peaches in the mix somewhere, and finally -- especially as it warms -- piney hops make an appearance. It smells like a bigger beer.

T: Fruity hops up front, with grapefruit dominant again. But a solid malt backbone is there, holding things up. A little bit of spice at the end with a surprisingly dry finish. That fruity, citrusy hop flavor coats the front of the mouth while the dry tang covers the back, lingering long after each sip. Scratch that -- lingering is the wrong word. It takes control of the mouth and won't let go.

M: Creamy. Medium-bodied. Some bite at the end, but not in a bad way at all. Those hops at times seem to be rotting the enamel right off my teeth.

D: Are you kidding? The sixer of 12 oz bottles was a major mistake. Either I've got to pour myself another or I've got to stick with the bombers. This goes down REAL easy. The only shortcoming is the serious lingering fruity and dry hop aftertaste.That may slow down the non-hopheads and it makes you long for a glass of water.

Notes: I reviewed this from the tap a few months back. Sitting in my kitchen tonight, focused on what I poured myself from the bottle, I like this beer even more now. It's become my wife's favorite, and if only it were a little cheaper, this would be my "house" beer.

Kendo, Jan 06, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is a great all around IPA. IT pours a nice cloudy amber with decent head retention and a bit of lacing. The smell is rich with hops and very piney. A bit of citrus too. That taste is a nice balance of hops and malt, with some sweet caramel notes and profound hoppiness. It has a nice dry finish and pleasant mouthfeel. Very drinkable!

zuggy9, Jan 05, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a nice light amber with two fingers of foam. Retains head very well. Very herbal on the nose. Taste is unmistakeably hoppy, like a pine cone dipped in soap, definitely makes you pucker-up. Anymore hops and this beer would be outta control, but they managed to get it pretty much right for this style.

notoriousdav, Jan 05, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A gem of a session IPA. The color murky orange, the head of the two finger variety, and the lacing sticky. To describe the scent as hop-dominant would be an understatement of cataclysmic proportion. This beer smells pinier than my guest house did yesterday, after I wrestled a very wide Christmas tree out through the very narrow front door.

The taste brings forward a far greater malt presence than does the nose, and you'll find yourself gratified by a sweet flavor of caramel, along with a tart blast of grapefruit. The hop presence is profound throughout the quaff, and reveals itself in the mouthfeel with a bitter, lingering dry finish.

In my spare time, I like to go to my local homebrew supply shop, go to the freezer, and smell the canisters of hop pellets. A twirl of the glass containing this beer elicits a similar aroma, as though the hop oils are activated. This is also present in the taste. As with every Stone product I've tried, and I've tried most of them, they pull this off in enviable fashion resulting in a hell of a treat to drink.

jeffjfindley, Jan 04, 2007

I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...gotta pad this...I didn't think much of arroagant bastard either, I've heard rave after rave for this BC...I must try more or another offering of this same brew, I wouldn't want to tarnish a good reputation.

TechMyst, Dec 31, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

12 oz. bottle (well, a few) to my beer chalice.

A - A very pretty golden color with a thick, white head. lace is ample at sticks to the glass the whole way down. crystal clear as well.

S - Ahhhh. Hops. Cascade maybe and notes of fruit and alcohol. go stone!

T - Um, more hops? Some malt grains and biscuit-like qualities, but all and all this is a showcase for the very citric, tart, refreshing, quencing, wonderful hop. finish is clean.

M - Smooth, thin to medium body with a sort of drying quality in the finish.

D - 100% drinkable. everytime.

isaac, Dec 28, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Beautiful copper semitransparent body with a huge white head rocky and fluffy. Great lace and moderate retention.
Delicious hoppy caramel scent topped with flowers and light hay. Mellow mild malt, butter and spice.
Up front mild malts quickly followed by a rough hop rush filled with complexity of hay, grass and flowers. Aftertaste is long lived and spiked hoppy malt, very well balanced.
Thick, slick and smooth put still prickling the tongue.
So very delicious and gone way too fast.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Dec 26, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Served on-tap at the Brewhouse Grille in Camp Hill, PA.

A: The ale is an amber color, almost a pale orange, with a small ring of head (1/2 finger) that does not retain for long.

S: The aroma is a grapefruity hop and grainy malt combination.

T: My initial review of Stone IPA slammed it (relative to Arrogant Bastard and Ruination). In hindsight, it comes across as Stone's easiest beer to drink. The hops are citrusy and strong, but not too strong. They allow the a biscuity malt body to shine through (one of the rare times that I've encountered the malts in a Stone ale).

M: The ale is well-balanced, allowing both the hops and the malts to have their time on the sun.

D: Stone's most drinkable ale, this one does not overwhelm the tastebuds or wear you out with an intense abv.

akorsak, Dec 23, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer has a deep golden hue with an aroma of grapefruit, gumball, and a slight hint of pine. The hops flavor is very pronounced and it balances out in the palate quite nicely. An easy beer to drink, despite the 6.9% ABV. A clear winner from Stone Brewery.

Finnman, Dec 17, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I've always loved IPA's and this probably tops the list and will stay up there. Very refreshing and very smooth. The hops are very prevalent but not overwhelming. It creates a very citrusy and piney taste.

Not really much of a head but the nose is great. It was hard to find at first, but my brother and I figured it was a little bit of citrus, mostly orange and lemon peel, and then of course the floral and other fruity aromas.

Priced very well, so I will probably have this in my fridge most of the time. In a glass, it looks like a Hefe, but drinks a lot better if you like slight bitterness. I cannot say enough about this beer but why should I have to, it's Stone.

Gatch, Dec 15, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Light orange/dark yellow, cloudy. No head to speak of.

S - Pine and citrus aromas, also some maltiness.

T - Very hoppy, but not crazy bitter. Maltiness to back up the hops. Citrus and pine flavor.

M - Medium body, smooth and clean, nice carbonation.

D - Highly drinkable, especially for a great price.

BlackAngus, Dec 14, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap. Pours with hues of golden straw, and firey orange. Topped with a resiny frothy with head. Strong pungent hop aroma. Mostly pine, and then some more pine, and maybe some pine. I think I get some peachy notes too. Very clean bitterness. Crisp. First class all the way.

tjthresh, Dec 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

From notes.
A-Golden bronze color with a very bubbly white head that fills the pint glass....I really enjoy when an IPA is not just a fizzy pale yellow that I get more often than not.
S- Big citrus...pretty much all flavors of this type of fruit I could see orange, lemon/lime, and grapefruit....slight spice and sweet malt....crisp and slightly musky.
T-Big hops, and again lots of citrus...specifically in the tip and in the finish. Light malts in body provide a nice balance....Considering how big this IPA is it does not have an overwhelming bitterness...very nicely done.
M/D- almost high carbonation...refgreshing...excellent representation of the style....its what Stone does best.

jameaterblues, Dec 07, 2006
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.