Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5%

This bomber courtesy of Zorro.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with an inch of white head. Lacing flows down the glass. Smells like a hop lovers dream. Citrus and pine with some bready malt in the distance. The taste is as good as the smell. Hop oils coat the mouth and the fruit and pine come shining through. Bitter, dry finish. Delicious. I could keep drinking this all day...if I only had more.

Imstillthegman, May 18, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Stone IPA poured from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle and poured into a standard pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sharp golden copper with an inch of white, large bubbled head that stayed through half way down the glass and left large bubbled lacing around the top ring of the pour. Thousands of co2 bubbles slowly raced to the top of the glass; they just want to be free. They just want to be free. The nose is big, big citrussy hops. Stone's IPA was hoppy oily over my pallette with dry finish and nice, medium mouthfeel. Slightly unbalanced, this IPA is an ode to the hops, and I couldn't agree more. This is a solid west coast style IPA that sits up there with some of the best and remains readily available pretty widely around the country.

This one also gives great hop belches.

edmundfitzoil, May 17, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Bomber purchased from Kraig's Kegs.

Light/golden amber body with thick frothy three finger head. Head fades unevenly into a rocky, enduring foam, which leaves a sticky lace on my glass. The head's exciting, but the golden hue to the body doesn't do justice to its complexity.

The smell is so divine! I feel like I'm sticking my head into a jar full of hop pellets. But it's not offensive since the caramelly malt aromas pass when I really get my nose down into my glass. There's an uncertain fruit representation there too.

The malt isn't as powerful as its smell. Not as sweet as I had expected, but leaves sugars on the back of my tongue. There's a faint nutmeg spice that tingles on my tongue when I let the beer settle in my mouth. Masking fruits mute the hop bitterness toward the end, reminding me of a breakfast grapefruit covered in sugar. NOTE: Isn't as bitter as the bottle boasts.

Very oily mouthfeel. Carbonation's pretty strong--maybe the only thing I'd change because it numbs my pallate some.

I was more of a malt guy before I tried this and the Sothern Tier Unearthly. Now I'm psyched for summer and big bodied, hoppy IPAs. If you want to taste what dry hopping contributes to a beer, try this. This beer shows why craft/micro brewers are engineers: it takes such knowledge of hops to pick the right combination for a taste so seamless.

tonytuffnuts, May 16, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured this 12 oz. undated AIPA, straight from the fridge, into a Stone IPA pilsner/flute.

Achieved a 1" head that disapated to a lace ring rather quickly. Color was an opaque orangy brown that cleared as it warmed.

Aroma was citrus and bread. Cut pine wood and dried apricots. Nice, but not as hoppy as predicted.

Taste was juicy sweet citrus balanced by a crisp, dry, pleasantly bitter finish. Not as multidimensional as Bell's Two Hearted Ale, yet interesting and refreshing.

Mouthfeel was a bit oily with low carbonation. Nothing extraordinary.

Very drinkable despite the higher 6.9% ABV.

Cresant, May 15, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Its about time I reviewed Stone IPA, I've had this so many times I can't even count. Well anyway, here we go. Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Pours a dark gold, almost the color of hay Fairly clear with a nice, densely packed head. Ample lacing is left on the glass as I drink.

Smell: Hints of citrusy hops waft out of the glass, also fruity and herbal scents make an appearance. The fruitiness coming from an almost apricot like scent.

Taste: Those citrusy hops dominate the beginning, a slightly sweet, fruity middle transitions to a big citrusy, piny hop finish that is linges long on the tongue. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. Not slick or oily.

Drinkability: Stone IPA is highly drinkable. An outstanding IPA that is worth seeking out. Nice and hoppy but it doesn't hit you over the head with them. Alcohol is well hidden in the flavor profile, and I could definitely throw a bunch of these back, but the 6.9 % abv will suddenly make itself know. A fantastic beer that is always welcome in my DBF. Stone IPA is another reason why Stone is considered one of the best craft brewers in America.

SwillBilly, May 13, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle to a pint glass
A: Pours a hazy, golden yellow with a shining white head. Beer is hazy and difficult to see through.
S: Hops (obviously). Piney and earthy hops.
T: Pretty standard tase for an AIPA. Piney hops up front with a sourdough malt backbone.
M: Very smooth and slick going down. You can feel the hop oils on your tongue.
D: I'm a little underwhelmed with this, maybe I was just over-hyping it. Definetly would go for another IPA first, but this is still pretty good.

pbr85, May 12, 2006
4.22/5  rDev 0%

A solid brew that is an absolute standby. I am fortunate enough to be able to get this straight from the brewery quite often, but even when I am away from Southern California, I frequently find myself grabbing sixers of this. It's available at many supermarkets, fortunately, and this always does in a pinch. However, this is a beer that earned its stripes before heading to larger markets, and as such is worth a try whether you can get it everywhere or nowhere. Poured into my goblet, it glows a wonderful golden brown, with a nice creamy head. Scent is immediately citrus, very clean and very refreshing. The taste further refreshes, nothing is overwhelming, everything is perfectly balanced. This isn't a huge hop bomb, but it makes for a near perfect IPA. If you're looking for hops, head for Ruination, which we shouldn't forget started life as an IPA.

A delicious brew, I plan to quaff many of these this summer.

audiojon, May 09, 2006

12oz bottle poured into a Saratoga Brewpub pint glass. Minimal whitish lacing atop a cloudy, copper body.

To the nose, it's all about pine, fruit and malts. Very pungent, but not one jumps out at you. A harbinger of things to come.

In the mouth, the smells are verified in layer after layer of floralness, juicy fruits and butterscotch sweetness. The melding of the sweet malts and the hops almost result in a beer with no taste character.

The feel is full and substantial for an IPA. It covers your tongue and is perfectly carbonated. It finishes grassy and organic. Very fresh mown and green.

Musings: Obviously a highly drinkable IPA. The tastes are so well contrived that the result is close to being pedestrian. No over the top flavors here. What there is a high alcohol quencher that will easily get you in trouble.

ChuckD, May 05, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured dark straw golden yellow with a 1" head that melts ever so slowly to thick wonderful lacing.
Aroma instantly of citrus hops.
Taste is an incredible balance of malt and fresh, FRESH hops....ending in hop bitterness...slight grapefruit bitterness.
Mouthfeel is warm and thick for this style.
This may be 7% but it is highly quenching and very sessionable.
I hate to keep rating Stone brews so high, but DAMN they are consistently good...VERY good.

IntriqKen, May 05, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Pours an amazing golden color, clear and bubbly. Two fingers of head cling lightly to the sides of the glass. The head persists for quite a while.

Smell: Hoppy and spicy. Grass and summer days mix with the flowery hop smell to give the perfect IPA smell.

Taste: Less sharp than expected by the smell. Subdued yet sweet hop taste leave a slight bitterness on the back of the tongue. There is very little alcohol or malt flavoring present. Acids linger and the beer tastes more bitter in aftertaste than while drinking. This beer screams "craft IPA."

Mouthfeel: somewhat watery, fizzy. The after feel leaves you a bit dry due to the high hop acidity. Very typical for the style, well handled.

Drinkability: I could drink a few of these, but it's no session beer.

Tawnos, May 02, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Stone IPA pours a golden-orange color with a rocky white head. The head holds for a good while and leaves moderate lacing. It is a little hazy and looks almost viscous. The smell is great! Nice floral aroma with lots of obvious hops. It smells slightly fruity and again, hop-tastic. Yeah, I said it! What?

Well, it tastes hoppy. Hoppy goodness galore. It is nicely bitter, incredibly smooth and very crisp. There is a hint of grain and sourdough bread with a light sweetness. It finishes with just a minute bit of lemon. It is a strong beer but has lots to like in the experience.

I wasn’t expecting to like this beer going into it but I was swayed by another great beer from a great brewery. This beer is incredibly hoppy. If you don’t dig on the hops, stay away. If you do, check it out. It is fantastic. Damn those cool bottles. I would probably buy cat pee if it was bottled by Stone in one of those awesome bottles! Hmmm...

Mitchel, May 01, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured a slightly chilled hazy golden orange with a thick white 1" head. Nice lacing.

Gloriously balanced sweet & tart scents of pale malts and lots of fresh hops. FRESH amarillo (?) & cascade (?) hops floating above a bed of sweet fresh whipped cream and vanilla. Probably the best smelling IPA for me to date.

The flavors of the hops are well developed and extremely fresh, lingering and tingling my gums way past the finish. The sweet malty flavors are a bit more in the background, different than what I expected from the smell. Citrus flavors and melon rind are prevalent with a juicy finish.

Mouthfeel is great. Fine carbonation that dissipates pretty quickly making this a highly drinkable ale. Medium bodied with a long flavorful finish.

Thanks to mattcrill for this gem. Wish I could get Stone in Michigan. I would definitely like to put a sixer of this in my fridge, alongside Two Hearted (it's that good). Bravo to Stone!

malty, Apr 30, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Pablo Piccaso would have trouble crafting a masterpiece such as this. The stiff white cream head finishes off this brew as you'd imagine a master chef with a perfect garnish would. Nose is massive pine, followed by a mix of grapefruit and caramel. I have to be honest, the smell is as devine as any beer lover could hope. Taste is a tour of hops ...pine, graprefruit, lemon, peach and finally caramel. This is probably the perfect IPA. Mouthfeel is suitably creamy and drinkablility is near perfect. A rugged yet sessionable beer that everyone with any sense will respect. Thank you Stone!

TheBungyo, Apr 29, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This one poured out a transparent orange-caramel color with a thin (1/4") head that quickly dissolved.

The scent was a mixture of fruity sweetness with a slight minty/piney layer.

The first sip burned slightly going in, but went down smoothly and crisply with gentle carbonation. Further sips proved easy on the palate.

The taste was easy on the palate; hoppy but not overwhelmingly so, and bitter without coating the mouth and leaving a lingering, uncomfortable aftertaste like some similar beers do. The flavor was a mix of hops and grapefruit (very subtle on the grapefruit--I hate grapefruits but I liked this).

This is not what I would consider to be a significantly complex beer; rather, just a nice, simple, hoppy flavor, well-balanced and smooth.

When I originally wrote this review I wrote "I'm still on the lookout for an IPA with more prevalent flavors to compliment the hops. In the meantime, relative to the handful of other IPA's I've tried, this one is king."

I've since tried several other IPA's with this in mind, and I've found that several of them do integrate other flavors, including caramel in one case and pear in another. I also drank about half a dozen 22 oz. bottles of Stone IPA in the intervening time. I now realize that the pure piney hop flavor of Stone IPA is superior to these attempts to enhance the complexity. I'm still keeping an open mind, but Stone continues to be the reigning champion of IPAs for me, and is probably the most drinkable beer for its strength of any that I've tried.

instrumentality, Apr 29, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

22oz No date
Pours a clear golden color with a thick head of large white bubbles. Huge pine, yet sweet aroma. A touch of lemon citrus. Taste is more pine balanced with a sweet undertone of malt. Bitterness lingers long into the aftertaste. Sticky, resinous hops coat the mouth, but it is not astringent. This is what an IPA should be. Great craftsmanship in the design of this recipe. Infinitely drinkable.

sacfly, Apr 28, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a semi-transparent orangish color with nice fluffy head that retains for what seens like forever. When it finally does calm a bit, it leaves evidence in the form of sticky lacing down the walls of the glass. Smells great. Grapefruit and pine hops up from followed by malty sweet goodness. Flavor is just as nice as the smell. Hops dominate, but this beer is exceptionally well balanced. Mouthfeel and drinkablity are both excellent. I would love to have another .. and I think I will.

I could easily give this beer fives across the board, and might update it later. Until then, I'm still searching for the perfect IPA, but I think I may have already found it. Great beer.

SethB2, Apr 25, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

beer pours a nice light orange, very clear, nice white head that lasts a long time.

aroma is totally dominated by American hops, smells very appealing.

taste is also dominated by hops, although not nearly as citrusy as many American IPAs, there is a nice malt element as well. overall a very delicious IPA

mouthfeel is medium viscosity, very nice.

Drinkability is pretty good although one or two is enough for me.

overall, one of my favorite IPA's very very nice, if i had access to this in Michigan i would buy it regularly.

evanackerman, Apr 24, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Deep orange in color with an nice white head that eventually just leaves a film. Medium carbonation. As expected, good aroma of pine, citrus, and resin. Quite a bit less than the Ruination. Overall, this is a good IPA, but not as good an IPA as Ruination is a DIPA.

doubleipa, Apr 21, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a clear dark amber with a big rocky white head that leave fantastic lacing on the glass. Aroma is powerful citrus hops. Taste - wow this is some intense citrusy hop flavor! There is some great sweet malt backbone here too but I wouldn't exactly call it balanced but it's an IPA after all and it doesn't have to be balanced to be delicious - which it is. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy and creamy, nicely carbonated. This is a great beer and is quite drinkable despite it hugeness.

burnstar, Apr 21, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours light amber with a big white head that fades to a light cover. Nice lacing. Aroma is pine and grapefruit, with some malt underneath. The flavor is good on the citrus and pine with a nice caramel malt backbone. Good balance and very easy drinking. Not quite up to the level of the top IPAs however.

artusory, Apr 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Stone IPA

Appearance- light mahogany brown with a touch of orange and a huge white head. Decent lacing throughout.
Smell- sweet candy malt with a nice touch of grapefruit rind .
Taste- Sweet malt blended with a pine hop. Strong pine with a citrus taste slighty overpowered by the malt.
Mouthfeel- Sweet up front but a nice bitter dry pine flavor in the backend.

Overall- Another good IPA that I didn't fully appreciate in the past. I've since come around and can't get enough of these full bodied IPA's.

NJpadreFan, Apr 18, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Irecently re-discovered this beer and was reminded, as I took my first sniff in awhile, why this is my standard for american ipa. With fresh bottles easily accessable and exceedingly more bars carrying stone products on draft there's no excuse for any to miss out on this one.

color: straw to gold with a peachy hue. tight, white head.

aroma: slightly sweet initially, but immediately slapped me with fresh hoppy funk and a little estery zest.(chinook? galena?) In the back I find mixed nut and old hop/cheese notes.

taste: exploding with fresh and seperate malt and hop flavors. beautifully balanced in the mouth and at the finish leaving a brand of that hop profile seared into the brain for days. I love the fact that I'm intrigued, but not overwhelmed with complexity. One with a more tuned pallate could peel away at this one for a while, but you still can't help needing to just drink the damn thing.

In THIS style, I find myself hard-pressed to find a better beer.
I think I'm going to need some cashews and stilton cheese with this one next time.

funkmaster229, Apr 18, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to jhammerly for providing this much anticipated offering.
Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Pours a nice copper color with a 1/2" sticky white head. Sticky white lace lines the sides of the glass. Classic IPA look.
Smell: Wonderful floral hop aroma. Smells better than a new spring garden.
Taste: The hops hit you up front and they hit you hard! Piny and grassy hops with a mild sweet malt and alcohol finish to kind of clean the palate for another gulp. Delicious!
Mouthfeel: Sticky oily hop mouthfeel.
Drinkability depends on how much you like the hop bitterness. If you are not a hop head then this would be a sipping beer. But to hopheads this is a gulping beer.
Overall a highly recommended IPA that is the standard for the style.

wcudwight, Apr 18, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours golden with an orange tint and excellent clarity. A white, one finger head of semi-dense foam shows good retention and leaves sticky lacing. Big american hop aroma of chinook and cascade like grapefruit/citrus with a mild grassy tone; background toasted pale malt. First sip is sweet toasted pale malt, followed by a rush of herbal hop bitterness. Slightly fruity, but not estery at all which I like. The aftertaste is dry and bitter with a fresh cut whole hop flavor. The pale malt is simple but strong enough for a great balance against the complex hop character. The flavor is dry, bitter, sweet and fruity all at once. Mild carbonation and medium bodied for a smooth mouthfeel that breaks up the bitterness without being overly carbonated. The finish is dry with a hop resin taste and alpha acid bite, but it fades quick enough and retains a high drinkability. A wonderfully satisfying American IPA.

PBRstreetgang, Apr 18, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Nice to be able to use the Stone IPA glass I got for Christmas for its intented beer.

Pours a bright gold with a bit of haze, topped by thick column of soft, very bubbly, pure white froth. Excellent lacing.

Nicely assertive citrusy nose - grapefruit, orange, lemon, bit of apricot.

Sweet caramelly malt gets a big foot in the door first, but very quickly the hops are there to slather on like suntan lotion on an Irish guy at the San Diego beach. That's not to say it isn't balanced though. Hoppy yes, but the malt side lurks about through to the finish.

Good mouthfeel, substantial. Excellent drinkability.

An all around winner of a west coast American IPA. As Bob Dylan would say: "Everybody must get Stone."

RonfromJersey, Apr 16, 2006
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.