Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass to form a perfect 1" white head over a clear golden beer. The head stayed around and left very pronounced lacing all the way down the glass.

The aroma was VERY NICE!.... definately a nice floral hoppy smell with some nice malt to balance.

The taste was milder than expected.... of course it's no RUINATION... It was still nice and flavorful with a hoppy tinge nicely balanced by a toasted malt. There was also a bit of a tangy citrus to add to the complexity.

The mouthfeel was thinner than expected. Appropriate carbonation and a smooth feel to this beer.

Drinkability: Well, I was left wanting more.... I only bought a single 12oz. just to try it.... But this would be good all day long. I do prefer the DOUBLE IPA of Ruination though...

TheBierBand, Oct 15, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

20oz pint poured ice cold at Suspenders, NYC Financial District.

In a frosty pint glass, I couldnt get a great look at this beer but the peachy amber color with rocky head looked nice. Lacing down the glass.

Wonderfully floral and sweet aroma wafted towards me, despite the overchilledness. As it warmed some (it was too good for me to let it last long enough to really get warm), the aromas became more complex, yeasty, fruity, piney, and a touch funky.

This beer is definitely in the running for my favorite American IPA. It is a kaleidoscope of flavor, all manner of hoppy bitter fruity piney flavors, balanced from start to finish with just the right note of sweetness...this is not a sweet beer by any means. It is a fabulously flavorful bitter beer. But sweet notes peek in just when they are needed to provide the perfect balance. Insanely drinkable. Now I know exactly what to drink when I am on Wall St.

Edit: From a bottle the promise is upheld. Notes I didn't mention: the fruit is definitely pineapple and grapefruit. Fantastic beer!

kenito799, Oct 12, 2007

Pours a bright transparent copper color, with a fluffy off-white head that leaves a generous lace behind all the way to the bottom. Big floral hop aroma pretty much tells the story here....yep, it's an IPA. Taste begins with a subtle buttery malt flavor, followed by a serious rush of evergreen and floral hop flavors. Very crisp and to-the-point....no dickin' around here. As another BA noted before, the hop bitterness is very prominent at first, but fades quickly as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is a little sticky, with a hop aftertaste that lingers for quite a while...just keeps you sippin' away. I could drink this all damn night! Great IPA!

jockstrappy, Oct 12, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz single bottle. As always the flavorful text on the bottle is a must read. Features a definition for not only a gargoyle but the beer itself as well.

A - Very pleasing to the eyes, a glowing golden hue with hints of orange. Just a fingertip of head that rides all the way down. Nice lacing as well.

S - A lot going on here, almost too much for my sense of smell. The hops profile is ever-present, and comes off quite citrus-like.

T - It is entirely impossible to taste everything in one sip. Each time I can detect a different profile shining through, and the bitter characteristics fade as it warms up. Too bad I only purchased one! The complexity of this brew deserves more than one downing.

M - Very sharp, and yes, crisp. Body is medium/heavy, and fits the taste profile perfectly.

D - Quite well I'd say, I could definitely use another. I will revisit this one rather soon I can tell, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good IPA.

PhageLab, Oct 09, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured almost orange hue with a clingy white head. It was a little hazy and had just the right amount of carbonation.

The smell was all hops just the way an IPA should be. Citrus and grassy aromas were dominant in this one.

The tasts was amazing. Grapefruit and pine were the main hop flavors. There was a dry and bitter finish that just makes you take another drink. There was a nice malty backbone to hold up to the hops and it was very balanced.

I could see this beer being a session IPA. It is not overly hoppy and the alcohol is subdued. This is my favorite example of an IPA.

snpub540, Oct 09, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

I poured this from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass and had a golden hue - a bit lighter in color than I had expected. The head was about one finger thick and remained intact for some time. It smelled great, like citrus, and the hoppy aroma imparted a fresh, spring like quality. The taste is truly exceptional. A perfect balance of bittering hops and flavoring hops make this one of the best examples of an American IPA. Hoppy! The drinkability is great and could easily be a quenching session beer.

gallagherman, Oct 07, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a medium golden color with a small head and some lacing. Aroma is nice and strong with hints of grapefruit and floral notes. Taste is nice and hoppy upfront with the aftertaste being one of grapefruit. Really nice aftertaste that is not too dry or bitter. Malty too as well. Very smooth and well-balanced. Goes well with the pizza I'm eating. Definitely one of the better IPAs I've had.

Brad007, Oct 07, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Another Stone favorite that I've never bothered to review until now. 12oz bottle poured into my Stone IPA glass.

A - The beer pours a medium golden color. It is a little bit above standard for an IPA, with fluffy head and great lacing.

S - I'm getting pine, citrus, grapefruit especially, floral hops, and even caramel. This pretty much has everything one would want in an American IPA.

T - Wonderful! Hops, hops, hops. Lots of citrus with some carmel sweetness. The beer finishes slightly minty, with plenty of lingering bitterness. Very good.

M - The beer is medium bodied. You can either make this one a sipper or a swiller; it is very versatile.

D - This beer is incredibly drinkable. I, for one, am very happy that Stone decided to sell these in sixers. One of Stone's finest brews.

sessycuban, Oct 05, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

This poured a slightly cloudy orange with a finger thick head, lots of lacing. Smell is a hop bomb, a little piney with a touch of grapefruit. The grapefruit is prevelant in the taste, with a slight malty hint in the aftertaste, very tasty. Strangely this brew is actually refreshing and enjoyable to drink which is unusual for heavily hopped brews.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and will get more on my next trip south.

funkengruven, Oct 03, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Had a glass of this on draft at Max's the other night.

The beer pours a solid orange color with a very creamy, persistent white head. The beer has very good head retention and excellent lacing. On the nose one gets a lovely aroma of orange citrus with just a hint of ginger in the background. This smells very, very nice. On the palate I immediately think "West Coast" IPA. The beer has very nice orange citrus with above average bitterness in the finish. The beer is not overly sweet, and the finish is light and fairly dry. The beer comes across as light, crisp and refreshing, just the sort of IPA you could sit down and pound a couple of pints. The beer has a nice mouthfeel, coming across as light and airy.... the finish is just seamless. Abv. is very unobtrusive, though you know the alcohol is there. Drinkability is quite good.

This is a very solid IPA.

Edit from 12/12. Tasted again recently at Piper's pub and Smokin Joe's in Pittsburgh, and as it has been over 5 years since I reviewed this beer, I figured an update was in order. What amazes me about this beer, is how consistently good it is. Even 2000 miles from where it was made, this beer was light, crisp, slightly tropical, yet refreshingly dry and bitter. This is a beer that is easy to take for granted (especially given all the other great beers Stone makes), but it's really something pretty special. Just an altogether excellent, well made IPA.

John_M, Sep 28, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden color with a creamy white head that maintains. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is loaded with citrusy hops with a slight grassiness.No malt smells detected. Smells very fresh.

Bold citrusy hop flavor, with just a slight grassiness. Medium bitterness, very restrained bite - very balanced bittering. No real malt character to speak of, but the delicious hop flavor stands on it's own quite well. Very fresh tasting.

Rather light body, well carbonated.

A very nice IPA overall, and another winner from Stone. Completely sessionable, this beer really showcases a bold use of flavoring hops while maintaining balance in bitterness.

MaltyGoodness, Sep 28, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

On-Tap at Dilly Deli poured into a pint. Reviews based off notes.

A: Pours golden orange and coppery. 1+ finger head that reduces and stays at about a 1/4 inch. Patchy lacing.

S: Strong floral hops and fresh piney scent. Makes my mouth water thinking about whats coming. Alcohol stays hidden nicely. Slight nutty malt aroma peeks through toward the end.

T/M: Strong peppery spices and amazing hop bitterness. I love this in bottles but its AMAZING on top. Getting a piney/sappy bite. Nutty, buttery malts show their face just before the end. Medium body that turns slightly creamy at the malts and finishes bone dry.

D: If I hadn't had a big lunch, I would probably have to stop after 2 or so, but I could really drink this for quite awhile before experiencing palate fatigue. Extremely tasty and easy to drink. Without a doubt one of my favor brews.

pwoods, Sep 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Great golden color-somewhat on the darker side of gold. Nice white head on top with some great lacing on down the glass. Big aroma of fresh cut grass and grapefruit. Huge hop blast of flavor. Definate tongue stripping sensation here. Just a touch of sweetness to balance the hops. Great mouthfeel. Terriffic beer overall. I think this might shape up better then the Ruination for overall drinkability. Great beer-well balanced.

lackenhauser, Sep 27, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

I've longed for Stone for some time. An unexpected business trip to San Francisco gave me the opportunity to pick up the IPA and a couple of other Stone brews from BevMo to bring back to Georgia and enjoy. Enjoy I am! Poured from a 22 oz brown bottle, with the cool Gargoyle that "wards off modern day evil spirits" painted on bottle, into my new Sam Adams glass. This IPA is one outstanding brew for my taste. The hops are there but do not over-power my palate. The brew has the expected floral, grapefruit impact one would expect from an IPA. Do not have the lingering bitter taste and oily mouth-feel that I sometimes experience with other beers of the same type. The alcohol is faintly noticeable but masked well. Everything that I have read about Stone is true! I could drink this magnificent brew until I fell off the couch! Wish I had more than 2 bottles of the IPA ;( Wish I could get this in Georgia!!!

evolbob, Sep 24, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a dark gold color with not quite an inch of white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is nice and hoppy (but not strong), mainly citrus (grapefruit and lemon peel) and piney hops, with a bit of malty sweetness too. To me it tastes the same way it smells, mostly citrus and pine hops with some malt. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium and a bit slick. Drinkability is pretty good too, it's smooth and has just the right amount of carbonation to make this very easy to drink. I think this is a very solid beer, I'll definitely have to buy it more often.

bluejacket74, Sep 15, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

All I have to say is I should have bought more than a six pack. This is one hell of a beer. It pours a light hazy peach color, great lacing while the head just sits above the brew like a crocodile stalking its prey above the water ( I just finished watching The Crocodile Hunter).

After a few whiffs of this IPA I know I'm in for something special. Lots of fruits ( citrus/grapefruit the most noticeable), some sweetness but it blends well.

The taste is just amazing I wish we could get a micro in Ontario to start brewing something along the lines of a solid IPA ( I know we do have some good micros and beers but comparing them is like comparing the CFL and the NFL). My palate picks up a piney, citrusy hop quality followed up by a sweet malt presence and a bitter finish ( not the most bitter finish out there but still your gonna feel the IPA bite).

irishkyle21, Sep 12, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

from the Yellowstone/Boise notes (still)

A: Clear amber body. Huge, off white head with great retention & lacing.

S: Nice hoppy aroma. Could have been stronger, but very good anyway.

T: Wonderfully hoppy flavor - bitter and tart (all in a good way). It's a good thing this was the last beer of the night because my palate needs the recovery time. Despite all the hops, there's more than enough malt sweetness for balance. Fruity too.

M: Excellent mouthfeel - much fuller body than most IPAs and very smooth.

D: Dangerously easy to drink for 6.9% abv. Top notch beer. Suddenly all the bragging on the back of the bottle seems warranted. If you're a hop-head, this is hard to top.

OKCNittany, Sep 11, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into mug.

Smell of citrus, banana, and hops,

taste of floral hops hitting the top of your tongue and roof of the mouth, hint of carmel and citrus.

Appearence-poured an amber color with a big head that lasted forever and very nice lacing.

Mouthfeel- thick, not watery at all, very little carbonation.

Drinkabilty-at first I didnt think I could have more then one but as it warms up the flavor changes and drinkabilty goes up.

Overall a very nice IPA, may be the best one Ive had.

crazybrody06, Sep 10, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Hotterthanhell for this bottle that made its way to München, Deutschland. It brought back nice memories of brewing in Texas. Pale ales in all varieties are a matter of taste and with every fly-by-night brewery trying to out do the next with more hops or gimmicks, I find it refreshing to drink an excellent example that is consistent and has proven staying power. I don’t doubt that there are better pales in the U.S. but I could live with this one and never really complain. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the choices of Pale Ales in America has become a labyrinth in which there is little light and for the foreseeable future no end. This of course has advantages and disadvantages. This beer is one of the bright lights in the unending labyrinth of Pales. It serves as a reminder of what a great Pale is and why the have become so popular. I don’t hesitate to call it a bench mark beer!
On to the beer….

Pours up a billowy whipped cream head made of medium to large size bubbles that cling to glass beautifully and leave a plethora of lace. This beautiful Schaumkrone tops an orange tinged copper elixir that, due to the generous amount of hops used to dry hop it reveals a slight haze. The aroma is enticing with strong up front Pine and Woody aroma hops with hint of grapefruit in the background. Reminds me of a blend of Amarillo and Cascade hops we use to use at the brewery. Behind the initial thrust of crisp hops is the strong malt background rounded out with a slight fruitiness and alcohol thanks to the ale yeast. The ale hits the tongue bitter and coasts it nicely and fully with crisp citrus-like and pine-like hops. This kind of hop punch can only be obtained through more than generous dry hop addition. BRAVO! Behind the hops is solid malt backbone that features a slight toasted flavor and adds a welcomed slight sweetness. The bitterness doesn’t really linger but rather tingles the mouth and throat while you experience all the flavors of this hop tea once again as you breathe out.

Zum Wohl!!!

Ungespundet, Sep 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

A- Transparent medium amber body. An aggressive pour only produced a head of 1 finger. The tiny bubbles constantly rising to the top (which is great because I'm drinking this from a standard pint glass) give this one a decent head retention. Eventually a thin collar remains and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Wonderful bouquet of citrus, floral, and earthy hops with a sweet caramel malt backbone.

T- A balance of herbal and citrus hop taste upfront with a weak caramel malt backbone. The finish is mostly herbal hops with a caramel malt sweetness. Lingering bitterness is aggressive and somewhat unpleasant. Also lingering is an herbal hop taste, caramel malt sweetness, and alcohol warmth.

M- Aggressive carbonation and oily body of medium thickness.

D- This is a decent IPA but not one of my favorites. I was surprised that the alcohol was detected in this medium ABV brew. This one is full of hop flavor and bitterness. I may revisit this one again.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 06, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at the Louie's Suds n' Sun at San Diego State University. The best thing on tap and it's something I haven't reviewed, plus it's another hot day and this one seemed like the right beer.

Poured into a clear plastic cup, hey at least it's a clear one. Golden color with lots of foam, a thin layer of foam persisted throughout its entirety. Great lacing too.

The aroma is a bit of a let down. I was expecting this one to be more intense but it's not. Maybe it is the plastic cup but I'm not picking up much here. I had to wait until I drank about 1/3 of the beer and let it get a little warmer to get some aroma. I wasn't getting much but it was a bit better with some citrus, pine and sweetness from the malt.

The taste has a nice bitterness with some fruit flavors in the finish. Some pine flavors begin to develop as I continue to drink it.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are both very good and the drinkability is pretty high as well.

I will have to review this one from a bottle since, for some reason, I wasn't getting too much aroma and I'm sure a bottled version, or a proper glass, would improve its score.

seaoflament, Sep 05, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint Glass. Temperature was at a cool 45 degrees and there was no date on bottle. Received from another BA friend.

A- One finger head goes quickly to just a coating. Yellow in color and lots of tiny bubbles rising to top. Nice lacing.

S- A few hops in the nose but mostly a yeasty malt smell. The hops smell citrusy.

T- Lots of flavor going on in this brew. Definitely hoppy, much more so then I expected. A piney/citrus taste is turning dry in the finish. This one is for hopheads.

M- Slick start, dry finish. Hops put a nice tingle in the throat. Pretty good carbonation.

D- Really can't taste the alcohol. A little high for a session, but would be happy putting 3 or 4 of these down in a sittings. Another nice one from Stone's.

shertz, Sep 05, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

24 ounce mug from Naja's Place

Very nice bitter beer with a nice golden color and a 1/2 inch head

High drinkability for an IPA, much lighter than most others

Lot of hops and stern, smoky flavor with this one

Could drink more than one of these at a sitting

Floydster, Sep 03, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer poured a kind of golden/amber color with a 3 finger head, slightly cloudy, kind of like a hefe, but only not as much. Very piney and citrusy smell. The taste is a little bit citrus but very bitter. overall, this is a a quality beer. But it is too biter and the citrus hops are overpowering to me. I couldn't drink this right now agian if I wanted to. I very quality beer for the style. Just out of my personal prefrence.

KodyBrannon, Sep 02, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -48.6%

Drinking from a cold bottle 22oz. Decent aroma, with a hint of fruit. crisp mouthfeel, but than the full flavor and aftertaste comes in, and it ruins it. This beer has a somewhat insipid fruity taste mixed with hops. I don't like beer that tastes fruity, and this ruined this for me. wanted to like it but like most ales for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

cwok1980, Aug 30, 2007
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.