1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours translucent gold with a fluffy, sticky white head, with lots of bubbles racing to join it.

A symphony of hops fills the nostrils with a dominant piney, resiny note. A sharper hop tone than other examples of the style, done very forcefully and very cleanly. A joy to behold.

Smooth, mellow hop flavor that is as balanced as you want an IPA to be (or at least as balanced as *I* want an IPA to be). The pine and resin notes aren't as prevalent on the palate as they are in the air. The sweetness of the malt is there, but it's been beaten bloody and left to die in the street by the gang of vicious, delicious hops.

A creamy, slightly tingly feel in the mouth leaves you ready for the next sip. I can't imagine how it could be any better in this regard.

The alcohol content leaves this as an iffy choice for a session beer, unless your liver happens to be pickled; however, it's certainly one you can enjoy to kick off or wind down your evening, and one you'll definitely enjoy (unless hops aren't your thing).

As an aside, I really need to do a side-by-side tasting of this and Smuttynose's IPA offering, because each time I drink one, I swear it's better than the other. Hooray for both.

altctrlsdelete, Oct 08, 2004
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

From a 12 oz. bottle pours a clear very light amber color with a white foamy head. The head left a little too quick, however there was a nice amount of lace on the glass. The smell of hops hits you immediately. This is more of a grassy, or herbal hop smell compaired to citrus or grapefruit that is common. Although, there seems to be a slight citrus note in the nose as well. The taste again hits you with hops that are spicy and grassy. There is a good amount of malt that keeps this beer from being too out of control. Medium body, carbonation is moderate. The alcohol in this can sneak up on you after a few, but still pretty drinkable. Overall this is pretty straightforward, hops and hops, with just enough malt. Great example of an American IPA.

Bierguy5, Oct 08, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours an amber-copper color that is best described as orange. A couple of fingers of white head on top. Traces of lacing left on glass. The smell is an overpowering , yet wonderful hop aroma. Taste is of hops with a flavor Im not thrilled with. Okay, but not great. A little too much of the bitter aftertaste hanging around in the mouth. After finishing one, I dont really want another. I have 5 more to drink, and Im sure I will enjoy them, but its a very good, but not great beer.

rlcoffey, Oct 02, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled in an imperial pint glass from the kegerator.

Light copper color, fluffy white head that lasts, nice lacing. Aromatics are very malty... almost worty with a floral citrus finish. Flavor is extremely well balanced between the hops and the malt. The bittering hops are up front and assertive but moves into a very hoppy flavor with a huge malt backbone, finishes slightly sweet. The mouthfeel is pleasant, medium and slightly dry. Very drinkable, the alcohol is a bit on the high end for a session beer... but thats okay, I enjoy it thoroughly.

kmcnair, Sep 21, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I didn't know that Stone made a "normal" beer? This is a very nicely balanced and easy to drink IPA.

The beer pours a golden/yellow color with a nice, inviting white head. Good citrus hop aroma -- and definite American IPA profile. As the beer warms a bit, malt balance comes through in the aroma. Maybe could use a little more malt, but not much. Balance is what makes this beer for me, so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much.

ncbrewerbun, Sep 21, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this on tap for the first time recently and Wow what a difference. Pours the same orange-copper colour. Not much of a head, but then again I dont know how long it sat before it was brought to me. The smell is lovely piney hops. Almost a bit medicinal in a good way. The taste is similar to the bottle, but the hops seem fresher and more pronounced. Mouthfeel is smooth with just the prickle of the hoppiness to let you know its still there. Drinkability is great. I could drink this off the tap all night. And WOW what hop burps.

TinusTime, Sep 16, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

This came in the typical Stone 22oz silk-screened bomber with the gargoyle on it. This poured out a light orange with a tall rising out of the glass head of off white foam. Scattered lacing was left around the glass as this was consumed. Strong floral aromas rose from the glass that was backed by and equally string citric piney smell. Completely hop dominated nose but not to the point of being over done, there was a doughy malt presence keeping it in check. Citric bitterness hit the tongue first with a slightly sweet malt coming though shortly after. The after taste was mildly bitter with an earthy hop bite. A fairly balanced flavor that keep the emphasis on the hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with about a medium body. I could drink this stuff all day, one of my favorite IPAs.

meathookjones, Sep 16, 2004

22 ounce bottle

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, this beer has a nice lemony yellow and peach tinited color. The head needed a little coaxing, but I got an inch off a hard pour. Sticky, whispy white foam with average retention.

Smell: This is where it's at. This beer has a dramatic amount of hops in the nose. Sharp piney bitterness and sweet fruity floral scents lie in wait. Wonderfully dry-hopped.

Taste: Very nice. This has ample hop presence; it is initally very raw and bitter. As one continues to sip, the citric sweetness of the hops comes out and melds well with the malts. This is finely tuned to allow the blend of hops to really just stick out and do their work. A very nice, and clean IPA.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not cloying or overly syrupy, this has a good balance of hop oils and malts to allow it to go down smoothly.

Drinkability: I had no problem finishing the bomber. Would I buy more at $6 a pop? I can't say. I know I barely prefer HopDevil just for orginality, and it is much more affordable on this side of the country. Someone brings them to me though....watch out. Glug, glug, glug.

99bottles, Sep 15, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

I really like this for an IPA, and I'm not a huge IPA fan. I love the lacing left on the glass and the overwelming aroma of hops. Citrusy and slightly piney notes from the hops. Taste is almost a pallate stripping assult of hops, but there is a bit of malt to be found there, but it's hiding well ;).

Overall, a good IPA. A bit more malt would really make this a winner for me, but overall, not bad at all.

deejaydan, Sep 14, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled from a bomber freshly poured into the 3 straight sided pints.

Aroma is piney, catty and depply resinous on a base of toasty biscuit notes.

Flavor matches and follows with a relatively thin toasted malt body competing to hold off the attack of a vigorous American bitterness.

Overall I like the balance of the beer (which is slanted decidely to the hops) and the crispness of the final product.

drewbage, Sep 09, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

This is my first Stone product. The appearance is nice. Pours a nice golden orange color, slighly hazy with a smallish white head. The smell is fairly strong with hops, hops, more hops and maybe a acid like citrous scent. The taste is fantastic. I am not a hop head but this is loaded with hop flavor and bitterness and I enjoyed it. Wow ! Holy hops ! The mouthfeel is good. Much thicker than I expected. It really coats the tongue and mouth letting the flavorful beer be enjoyed. There is a long lasting aftertaste of well...hops. This is a good IPA. This would be hard for me to drink all night but two or so is just right.

heidelbeerg, Sep 09, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

this was, by far, the 'safest' stone brew i've had thusfar, and probably the most disappointing. was it still good? of course, but did not live up to the stone 'hype' so to speak. i expected a hop onslaught, but maybe i'll get that when i sample the ruination later on in the week. this one seemed tame by west coast standards, dare i say more like an east coast ipa. it pours an above average amber colour. nothing special, but better than average. head is fairly thin, but sticky. carbonation is abound throughout the body. the smell is a nice blend of bread, hop, butter and a touch of pina colada. very nice but it doesn't stray much from what you'd expect from an ipa. the flavour is a nice balance between juicy sweet and hoppy. it starts off sweet, moves into the hop attack and then finishes with a dryness that still has hints of juicy sweetness interlaced. the hop burps are quite flavourful. mouthfeel was a touch thin but this was an enjoybale and highly drinkable brew overall. is it strange to say that i enjoyed this one while being let down by it at the same time? well, i was, but i'd still happily sample it again any day.

SixpointJMH, Sep 08, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Served on tap at Chalkie's in Indianapolis, IN

Appearance: Served in an English Pint glass. A clear amber orange with a rocky white head. This is just a beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Citrusy, floral hops rip my nostrils! A hoppy, bitter smell dominates. Very inviting and a hop-heads delight to be sure.

Taste: Very consistent with the smell. A grapefruit, citrusy sweet taste initially and then a crisp and bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Prickly, medium bodied, and palate blowing!

Drinkability: If I didn't care about my tongue, I would drink them all night! I don't consider myself a huge hop-head and I found myself loving this. It's really a finely crafted beer. Most people probably couldn't make a session out of it but it's refreshing enough that it would work for me. Even if you aren't into hoppy beers, you should try this just to make sure.

mattcrill, Sep 06, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark golden to light amber color, very clear, wih a small white head that leaves a beautiful, thick lacing behind. The aroma is flat-out amazing... once again, I'm engulfed by fumes of new carpet smell (seems to be something each Stone brew I've had has in common with the next), grapefruity citrus smells and honey as it warmed. As expected of Stone, all tastes were huge as well... really spicy up front, honey-cereal sweet and citrus tangy in the middle and then a solid, dry bitterness that coated my tongue and lasted. Mouthfeel is slightly oily with medium body and carbonation, and overall, it's very smooth. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. Stone hasn't disappointed yet.

oxmasterscream, Sep 06, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz bottle. Pours out a deep orange/peachy color with a hint of golden color in there with a nice amount of carbonation that stays with you until the end. Smell consisted of lots of hops. I noticed on the back that it's dry hopped as well. Some background malts can be detected as well along with some citrus notes. Taste was quite nice. Big hops come across first along with some piney notes, but once you think the hops are going to have a huge bite, some nice malts hide the hops along with some citrus notes. Almost juicy-like in taste. Medium body with the right amount of carbonation blending in. Overall a nice well rounded IPA. First Stone I've had and look forward to many more.

necoadam, Sep 04, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz. bottle. The smell of fresh cannabis bud took me back to the days of yore with hydros and grow lights. Poured with no head. The taste was grapefruit bittersweet with enough of a malt presence to keep the hops from overwhelming. The full body of this brew carries the flavors nicely. Probably the best of Stones widely availible beers.

beerceller99, Sep 02, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Ah Stone Brewing Co Can you do no wrong? By me; no.
This one pours a lovely orange color with a minimal white head. Smell is very hoppy and piney though not as assertive as alpha king or dreadnaught. Flavor, at first is predominately hoppy but the aftertaste lets some malt and piney notes come through. Very nicely balanced as I can have 2-3 without any palate fatigue. Excelent drinkablity for a 7 percent ale. Although it won't top alpha king or dreadnaught as my go to beer when I'm having a hop craving, I will definately be returning to Stone's IPA.

soper2000, Aug 31, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with copper overtones, with a medium white head that quickly settles into a nice cover with lace on the sides. Aroma is hops, oily piney, crushed juniper needles, with floral notes sharp and crisp. Flavor incorporates the aromas plus a nice, light, citrus backflavor (just a hint), with a finishing hop bite. A very nice, very enjoyable beer.

Edit (3/30/05): I just reviewed my review, and I don't have any substantive changes to the review itself, except to note that I have found (as a non-hophead), that this really has become my beer of choice when I am in the mood for something hoppy (which does happen once in a while). It just fits the bill.

Dukeofearl, Aug 27, 2004
4.95/5  rDev +17%

I love IPA's and especailly big ones, however I know this one isn't a big one, but it comes across as a great one. There is nothing that I can find wrong with this beer. I tried to find something that I didn't like, but I couldn't find it.
Pours a beauty of a light copper color with a nice head and some nice lacing. The smell is of a nice hoppy citrus that when you smell you can't help but to say AAAHHH. The taste is smooth and hoppy which is what you want however here we have a nice balance and before you know it you are looking for another one. I only scored this one higher than the arrogance because it is a little lower than alcohol and I could probably drink several more of these before I started forgetting things. Stone Brewery I love you. Please come to Arkansas soon.

rugger, Aug 24, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an nice amber-orange color into my Duvel tulip glass. The head is moderate, and dissipates quickly, leaving a bit of a ring of foam. The aroma is excellent. Floral hops, with a bit of that "good marijuana" smell, for lack of a better way to describe it. Like dark hydro. The taste is great. One of the better IPAs I've tasted. Very hoppy - a good balance of hops. A little floral. Just the right amout of bitterness. This is how an IPA should taste, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is good, but a bit weak in the carbonation department, in my opinion. A wee bit acidic, also, but that is to be expected in an IPA. Very drinkable. Easy to put multiple glasses of this one away. I highly recommend this ale to anyone who enjoys IPA and ESB styles of beer.

kosmoraios, Aug 21, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a bright, golden honey color, maybe a bit on the orange side. Head didn't seem to be developing much, so I poured a bit more aggressively toward the end of the pour. That kicked up a decent foamy, white head which soon fell back to a persistent ring that left a good bit of lace. Smell was predominantly floral and citrusy hop aromas. Hints of fruit. There was also something else that I couldn't quite place in the smell that was a bit off. Taste was very good. Initially intense hop flavors: citrus, floral, herbal, and spicy... certainly Cascades are present, but also a good blend of other hop flavors. Hops give way to a bready, slightly fruity, slightly sweet malt backbone. Then the finish is a nice hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is smooth and satisfying. Not too thin, not too syrupy. I'm enjoying hops more and more lately, and this really hit the spot! Thanks to deejaydan for the sample!

Edit: I'm told Stone uses no Cascades in their beers. Perhaps I'm tasting Centennial or Amarillo... something is lending a citrus note. Whatever they're using... it's very tasty!

jimdkc, Aug 19, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Got a 22 oz bomber. Poured a brilliant golden orange colour, slight cloudiness. Looked like a nice peachy iced tea. Creamy off white head, left a thin layer of foam, lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

Smelled floral, fruity, citrusy, tremendous hop aroma, very inviting.

Taste was very well balanced. Starts very sweet and fruity, but a whole load of hops rush into the picture. There's some spiciness from the hops. Also, there was something very earthy about this beer. This beer had moderate body, and the mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy. Went down really easy. As it warmed, the power of the hops was very apparent.

Wish this was available in Canada...if only it was.

baiser, Aug 15, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dabbled in the dark arts with this one on 4/25/2004. 16-oz. pour at Anam Cara.

Nice, frothy one inch initial head. Very light colored for style; close to a hefe though clearer, almost light straw in hue. Nice hop character, grassy, with hints of long summer afternoons hanging about. The hops corral the taste buds, followed by a Double Bubble chewing gum sweetness, well balanced. After swallow, the hops burst up into the olfactory glands. Chewy hops overall to body, yet infinitely smooth. Could very definitely make this my session IPA.

Not as overwrought as other Stone offerings can be, this is one I would gladly sit down with for a few hours.

Truh, Aug 13, 2004

Many thanks to northyorksammy for introducing me to my first Stone product. 12 oz. brown bottle, green and white silkscreened enamel labelling, the blurbs on the back of the bottle are worth reading, the P.R. person comes across as having a personality and something to say with some substance. Pours out a cloudy marmalade colour, thickish foamy head which recedes to a ring and leaves some lacing. Hops are initially present on the nose, but seem to be biding their time, like a leviathan preparing to surface, grapefruit, pine and some spice, but enough malt in it's wake to not make it one-dimensionally overwhelming. Flavour is not as intense as I anticipated, some sweet malt at first triggers the explosion of hops that build and build and build towards and throughout the finish. Earthy and piney at first, then turning citrus, and the grapefruit rind on the finish. A well-contained IPA, the hops are not allowed to completely run wild and get out of control, there is method behind the madness, some direction. Mouthfeel is full and smooth. I think perhaps this would garner a higher rating if I had a fresher sample, but I'm enjoying this nonetheless, it holds up. Definitely worth further sessions.

IronDjinn, Aug 12, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

This IPA pours a bright copper/gold. It has a decent head that didn’t retain all that long. A nice lace did stick around after the head deteriorated. The nose is a bright, citrusy hops. This smells fresh, and really gives you a live feel. The taste is a floral/citrus balance on the front. You really don’t feel the malt until the back of the taste. It’s very good though. . It has a light feel, and a good drinkability. This is high on my list of summer beers.

Had this on tap today at RedBones. I can't change much except the head was great, and the hops in the beer led to an even better retention of the head, and a nice lace. Great floral lead on teh nose. Maybe a little bit more of a bite from the hops than the bottle usually gives.

carln26, Aug 07, 2004
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.