Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Yeah, Baby!!! Another awesome beer from Mr. Koch and the boys!

It poured with a coppery-orange body, and white head. Good staying power, and wispy lace.

The aroma was that grapefruit-y hops, and just a hint of malty sweetness. The first taste has you saying, "Hey, I thought this was supposed to be one of those hop monsters!?" About 10 seconds later, those hops sneak up on you, grab hold of your tastebuds and say "Who's your Daddy?" The hint of malt is just enough to take the edge of the hops.

The mouthfeel is just right, enough body to slosh around your happy tongue, it's almost creamy, and no trace of oiliness. The finish is citrus and hops, with just a faint cardboard and metallic taste that pops up about 10 minutes after your last swallow.

"Please, Sir, may I have some more?"

WaltTrombone, Nov 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Took a long time to get a bottle of this to Wisconsin, but it was worth the wait.Cloudy copperish color, not much of a head, inviting hoppy aroma with a beautiful bittersweet aftertaste. Every swallow you got a new fresh bold taste of hops and eventually a nice bitter film coats your tongue. Wish it were easier to get.

grynder33, Nov 16, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Man, this is really one bruiser of an IPA. I remember back in grade school, there was this kid I knew who liked to go around kicking other kids in the shins just for grins....you knew that kid, too...we all did. Well, that's what this beer is like, a good swift smack on the ol' palate. It gets your attention, it leaves you hurting a bit, it may even stick around after dinner and insult your taste in books and music, but it sure as hell livens up the day.

It poured a wonderfully cloudy orangeish-amber color. The massive head was a wonder to behold. It didn't overwhelm me with it's nose, and I found that to be surprising. I expected to be bowled over, but instead it merely hinted at the taste to come.

It tasted sweet at first, but that was only a malty ruse. The real kick hit me when the hops took over. Hard to understate how hoppy this beer is, and this is only Stone's entry-level IPA. Citrus and other fruit flavors mixed to leave my tastebuds stunned. It hit my throat with a real bitter twang. I had to stare at it for a minute or two after I had the first swallow. It was just like when that kid kicked me in the shins....I was a little shocked at first, a little amazed that someone would have the nads to come up out of the blue and do something like that. But you know, after I chased that kid down and kicked him back, it was all cool. We were pals. We had bonded. That's how this beer was for me.

Good mouthfeel. Not overwhelmingly thick or anything. Very drinkable for a beer this big, but I wouldn't recommend slamming back too many of these in one sitting. One bomber on a Sunday afternoon was enough for me, but I think I'll chase this guy down again one day for another kick in the tastebuds.

Dubblebock, Nov 12, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have I reviewed this one yet?....NO!
Have I drank multiple cases of it?...YESSSS!!!

Ahhh! But where do these hops come from, which so beautifully meld with the succulent, honey malts? North County, San Diego, apparently. So pefectly cogniscent of the American gourmand palette these days, this nasty, emasculated gargoyle commands a great deal of respect from both beer belly and wine connessiuer alike.

The perfumy nose, along with strong alcohol wafts of fermentation, ensure all potential imbibers that satisfaction is at hand. Crisp, yet secluded, carbonation gives yield to a honey-sweet foretaste, before rich, sappy hops jump out and start tugging at the dextrine jugular.

A bit rich at the end (like a high-powered, chocolate torte, after a seven-course meal), but then again, what did you expect?

Gourmet beer has a name.

DarthMalt, Nov 07, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Medium sized off white head with a yellowish hue. Tons and tons of carbonation streaming like mad from the bottom of the glass. Small frothy bubbles form a sticky head which holds onto the sides of the glass all the way to the last drop. The head remains for a very long time, and eventually recedes to a thick lace. Some particles (hops?) can be seen settled on the bottom of the glass. The aroma is citric with considerable juicy grapefruit notes and a subtle backing of malts. Stone IPA is wonderfully smooth from start to finish. The malt backbone is ever-present despite the tendency for this brew to lean towards the direction of the hops. The hops are always well in hand and are never overbearing. There’s a slight bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste. Medium bodied with a finely carbonated mouthfeel. Great IPA that is incredibly drinkable. I could drink this one all evening.

byrd, Nov 03, 2003
3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured a bright, clear tawny gold with a fluffy white head and some sticky lace. The smell is big and strong floral hops. Taste is malt with a strong hop presence, citric and alcoholic notes.. The bitterness is just right, crisp bitter bite. Mouth is medium and round, smooth but also sticky on the palate, flurry on swirling in the mouth, medium to well carbonated. On the strong side for an IPA, but that is to be exected from this brewery. Holds yur palate hostage. Good and well done, but you wouldn't see me drink a sixer of this, not exactly a session beer.

mydeadguy, Oct 29, 2003
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 22-ounce bomber.

Pours a wonderful orange with a half-inch white head, and leaves tendrils of white down the glass as you drink. Cloudy and hard to see through.

Very sweet at first and loaded with hops.

An extremely intense beer and one you really have to pay attention .

The hops grab your tongue and pull it out. Long finish without much of the metallic taste.

Yes, it's as good as folks say.

LiamStLiam, Oct 04, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Color is a lighter shade of pale yellow, some hazy cloudyness with a finger high white head of looser thickness, fades and bubbles down to some bubbles along the rim. Lace in webby loose sheets. Smell is quite floral and sweetly hopped lending light pine, light grapefruit and a touch spicy. Not all that strong but very fresh and hoppy. Swirling brings out some soft caramel malts and alcoholic warmth. Taste is a calming smooth, subtle hoppy little treat. Solid floral and dried sense of hops with a good touch of pine and grapefruit mixing with peach notes. Nice light backing of soft caramel malts; a bit of toasted bread. Well balanced and the bitterness is well under check with nice lingering spicy dried grapefruit notions in the finish. Lightly creamy and a fair medium body feel with a crisp, clean subtle hoppy finish. Maybe expecting to much from this beer with all the high recommendations. Its a solid IPA for sure, but didn't quite make the impact on me with more of a mellower hop flavor then I was anticipating. Comparisons aside, this was very close to Town Hall's Columbus Pale. So as an IPA this was more like a great pale.

Thanks to Gusler for the Bomber.

tavernjef, Oct 01, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Light straw color, small white foamy head. Aroma is spicy and fruity.A very hoppy beer, dry and crisp. Distinctive hop aroma. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are bitter and spciy. Beer is "dry hopped" for 2 weeks. A 60 IBU beer. Finish is clean and crisp. A nice bitter IPA. Good beer, etched beer bottle.

beerguy101, Sep 25, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Huge lychee, grapefruit and pine aroma, hops are very aromatic and sharp. Some nice sweetish malts quickly have the shit beaten out of them by a huge hop attack. The hops would have been delightful, if they'd used them in moderation. A lot of alcohol in the finish aswell. I mean its got a lot of flavour and all, but i just couldn't helped but be bored by the hops, overkill in this case made me- not disgusted, horrified or shocked- but bored, and that really surprised me. I was really dissapointed with how uncomplex it was.

rastaman, Sep 23, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Finally got my hands on two bottles, and my expectations were high. It poured a nice golden orange color with a 1/2" head. The head slowly disappeared to thin trails on top of the beer. The aroma was phenominal - strong floral with a sweetness that left me inhaling a few times before the first taste. The taste brought immediate bitterness that mellowed to a slightly bitter and sweet malt on the tongue. This lasted for a good minute or so. The hop and malt balance is perfect, even though both are bold. Being a regular Hop Devil drinker, this IPA is in an elite league.

Gavage, Sep 19, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served chilled in a pint glass. 22 oz. bomber.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow topped off with a modest frothy white head. Little to no retention, just a smallish crown on this king of IPA's. Nice lacing as I greedily consumed this ambrosia.

Smell: Largely piney hops with herbal hoppiness lingering in the backround. Citrus aromas are also prominent, largely grapefruit. INTENSE. Can be smelt from across the room, I bet... I didn't try this as I did not want to be parted from my glass that long.

Taste: I never thought I'd say this, but hoppy citrus sweetness, almost kinda grapefruit and orange-like. Then the bitterness kicks in. No hint of alcohol at all. I'm very impressed by the subtle flavors, despite this being somewhat of a hop monster.

Mouthfeel: Lightly creamy, lingering hop aftertastes, but it does not overstay it's welcome.

Drinkability: Hell yeah! And I'm not much of a hophead. Definite regular purchase. I hope the 12 oz. are this good.

ManekiNeko, Sep 18, 2003

A hazy golden colored brew with a swirling cloud sitting just below the thick white head on top. It has a great nose of grassy bitterness. Hops are just bombarding me.

The initial flavor is not as hoppy as I would expect from the aroma, but wait, there it is. The bitterness starts to come in from the edges of my tongue. It has a great hoppy bite to it. Crisp, and very flavorful. Body is medium, and it is not missing anything in that department. Just a well-rounded IPA. Why can't I get more Stone in Jersey!?

ElGuapo, Sep 16, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Aroma: You’ve just stepped into a hop factory. Cascade? Not sure, but fresh hops, with subtle hints of hops with hop overtones. Deep in the smell, there is a hint of malt that is quickly hit over the head with hops and told to stay down.
Appearance: Well… pale. Light straw color that issued a sad little head, but left a ring of suds that impressed me with a light lace/tide marks for being so small. The second pour from the bomber I got more aggressive with the pour, and gained a fluffy white head, but clung to the side with lace and quickly died, and left the beer noticeably flatter. The head on the third (half glass) pour showed very large bubbles.
Flavor: Hoppy, but not bitter.
Mouthfeel: Silky. It doesn’t feel like a pale ale, closer to a bock in mouthfeel, but oh, so smooth. Liquid jello? It practically races down your throat.
Overall Impression: I got this because I’ve learned to respect Stone Brewery, and it ranked so highly on the “Top Beers” list. It took me a while to get past HOPPY, but I started to understand that this beer, with hops, hops, and more hops, wasn’t screwing my face into a, forgive me “bitter beer face”. The balance allows the entire hop flavor to come through, but backs it with enough malt to leave no edge at all. The smooth finish encourages another drink, and another, so drinkability is only slowed by the sizable alcoholic kick that creeps up on you. This is a liquid celebration of the noble hop. If this is what British soldiers got while serving in India, I think I’d sign up. While not for the faint of heart, this is a must-taste for any hop head.

HardTarget, Sep 13, 2003
4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "bottled on" or "best before" warning; purchased as a stray single for $1.39 from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington.

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear, orange-tinged gold; fine, bone-white, half-inch head; sticky lacing; decent head retention.

Aroma: Largely of grapefruit, pine and sweet caramel malts.

Taste: Thick, toasted, caramel malts upfront; heavy, aggressive bitterness in the finish; strong notes of a) grapefruit and b) pine; medium bodied with a creamy, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Big, delicious IPA; everything you'd expect of a Stone IPA.

Mustard, Sep 12, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I'm getting the idea that Stone may be a good brewery. Another excellent, intense beer from those bastards. This one has an golden orange body with a medium-sized white head. Smell is ridiculously potent. I like. Strong candy toffee malts with an equally strong hoppy background. Taste is good. Malts up front, but not as sweet and toffeeish as the smell implies, with a sharp acidic hop bitterness carrying through to the finish.

alexgash, Sep 08, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

An excellent Westcoast IPA. Potent, hoppy, but extremely drinkable.

The body is clear and slightly amber with a fantastic bone-white head that laces well.

The aroma is an explosion of hops, citrusy but still tamed by a sweet malty nose hidden in the background -- beautiful.

The flavor is smooth and well-balanced, from the aroma I expected to be blasted with hop bitterness, but the generous malt background makes this IPA smooth and delicious with a perfect hot bite.

The body is generous making this beer surprising creamy on the palate, but not cloying. This IPA was so drinkable that I kick myself for not bringing another bottle back with me from my trip to the Westcoast.

brakspear, Sep 06, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I don't know if it was just happened to be the context of last night, but this beer was nearly perfect. A beautiful brownish gold with and off-white head, consisting of loose, bulbous bubbles.

The aroma was exelent, too. A great blend of hops and malt and floral and citrus. It literaly made my mouth water.

Then the taste. Man, the sweetness of the malt enveloped the tongue, and then a blanket of bitterness charmed its way into all the corners of my mouth. The carb level was perfect and the whole experience was one I will difinitly repeat.

Drink. Enjoy. Repeat.
This should be on every bottle.

Cheers

elmocoso, Sep 05, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

RoyalT, Sep 03, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer pours a darker golden color. White head, but not too much of it. There is a nice citrus-pine/hop nose. Hops are fairly evident in the taste, but not as up front as some of their other brews. I was expecting more hops than I could handle, but even though they are strong, the balance is excellent. It has a crisp finish. A fine quaff!

Boto, Aug 31, 2003
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a nice golden yellow with a hint of orange. A little hazy, but it seemed to clear up as it went along. Nice 1" head, white, that lasted quite a while. After it dissappated, all I had to do was swirl the glass slightly and it was back. Nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Hops hops and more hops. Overwhelmingly hoppy in the smell. Maybe some citrus and a mild malt profile, but thin compared to the hops.

Taste: Much more balanced than I expected from the smell. There is definately an overwhelming amount of hops, but a nice grassy malt flavor blends in nicely from behind. Smoother than I expected as well. Bitter, but that's what you'd expect. It's a beer that bites you back. The malt charactoristics really show in the aftertaste, but even there, you can taste the hops, and it lingers forever. I'm sitting here savoring the aftertaste and I finished it about 5 minutes ago. Yummy. Lots of flavor there, just hard to define.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Very crisp. Not too thin, but not overwhelmingly thick or oily. Nice and clean.

Drinkability: Started out rather nice, but by the end of the bottle, it was getting a little hard to continue. Not that it's bad, but the bitterness really is strong as it starts to warm up. I spent a good 45 minutes drinking this. Just sipping it and enjoying the silence of children in bed and the wife at the gem. Me and sportscenter and Stone I.P.A. Not bad.

Props to a Jeremy, a friend of mine, for meeting me at the lake with this, Arrogant Bastard, 1554 Black Ale, and Porch Swing (reviews pending). I can't get any of them in Oklahoma, so I have to rely on other methods. Also, he just gave them to me. Gotta love free beer. This one, bitter, full of hops, but balanced. Could definately drink again, and will, but it's not something I could drink tons of in one sitting. One is enough for one night. Overall, impressed, especially since this is my first Stone brew to try, looking forward to cracking open that Arrogant Bastard this weekend.

Nytemare, Aug 27, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

I'd been looking forward to trying this beer for some time and was not disappointed. From the attractive painted bottle pours a nice semi-transparent light orange colored beer. A fairly thick (1 finger) foamy head tops off the beer and leaves some lacing on the glass throughout consumption. A fairly strong and pleasant aroma of hops is present and makes itself known during the pour. A very nice hoppy, fruity (citrus) taste, slightly milder than expected from the aroma, greets the mouth. Very smooth with a bit of an oily feel in the mouth. Overall this is a very good beer and certainly one I look forward to having again.

tar, Aug 25, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this at a bbq so could not tell appearance through brown bottle.
Pleasant hoppiness, hint of pine in the aroma.
The flavor is crisp, hoppy fresh and the word bright comes to mind.
Not too sweet. A bright bitterness. This is a good thing. Overall a fantastic IPA. The full hop flavor is right on but does not deaden the tastebuds. Likely to wake your mouth right up. I would like to try this on tap.

hungryghost, Aug 21, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on tap at Redbones after I had a Summer IPA. Poured a cloudy tan-orange color with minimal head that left a perfect lace. Hoppy, citrus sweet smell that was very inviting. The first thing that I noticed about this beer was it's balance. Sweet, malt, hops and citrus were all perfectly blended. Each flavor came to the front when it needed to. Extremely drinkable as I could have had many more. A great beer from Stone.

CharlesRiver, Aug 16, 2003
4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

A crisp hop bitterness with top notch malt gives this IPA an excellent finish. When I'm at the Stone tasting room, this is always the best staple brew going, although everything is excellent. This is the benchmark for a good, hoppy and robust California IPA.

ChappyCubsFan, Aug 13, 2003
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.