Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

App: great head and retention

Smel: Nice, pungent, citrusy, spicy smell. I anticipate a beer with balls.

Taste: not as hoppy as I expected. I thought this beer would be a lot hoppier and in my face. It's still nice and balanced. I guess I need to try Ruination. This isn't enough of a hop fix for me. This beer is very balanced. Almost too balanced. I expected a lot from stone. I think that's the reason why I expected more hoppiness.
Flavor is piney and comes out more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Clings to the mouth well, somewhat crisp.

Drinkability: An easy to drink, very sessionable IPA. Could down this all night.

I don't notice the abv of 6.9% at all I would have guess 5.5%

jasonjlewis, Oct 08, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a pretty light amber/gold with hints of red. Fluffy white head and gorgeous lace. The aroma really smacks you in the face. Simple but charming. A bold, grassy citrus. Tons of grapefruit. A definite hopp character.

Tastes great. Fruity with a good balance between hopp and malt. Might be a little too bitter for some, but I like it. Can't really taste the alcohol at all, I would have guessed it to be around 4 or 5 AbV. Fully body and goes down easy. Couldn't ask for much more from an IPA in terms of appearance, drinkability, and taste. The unique aroma bumps this one from good to great.

uberabr, Oct 07, 2006

Appearance is beautiful. Golden, bubbles, foam.

Smell is enticing. Bread, citrus, creamy malt.

Taste and mouth were outstanding. There is plenty to excite the tounge. Creamy malt and citrus bitterness. Just the right amount of carbonization to keep it lively without a sting. The aftertaste lingered in my mouth and mind. Give me more.

Drinkability was superior. I'm glad I bought six. Because I had a strong hankering for another each and every day. Very memorable.

Bugsey, Oct 06, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

App: It has Golden hues with a nice creamy head

Smell: Tangerine rind, french bread

Taste: It's crisp and bitter with a interestingly different aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty much a medium mouthfeel: it's perfect

Drinkability: I'm not sure how many of these I would want to drink. It's pretty damn good but it's a bit of a kick to the nuts.

CaskofFlyingDog, Oct 06, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Big nose of citrus hops, grapefruit and lemon peel. Not much other aroma characteristics can fight through it. After a few sips I do get a little bit of base malt.

Gold, pretty cloudy with a great pillowy lasting head.

Tip of the toungue, some sweet malty flavor. Then the hops kick in. Very fresh hop tasting with more of the citrus-type hop flavor. Higly bitter but not overwhelming. On the back end there's a really nice malt profile that tastes a little like bran flakes. Theres also a nice fruity yeast flavor mixed in. Overall a nice flavor profile between malt and hops.

Medium-full bodied. Very nice carbonation level that is lively in your moth without adding more bitterness effect.

Overall, one of my favorite IPAs. It's not insanely hoppy so it keeps me interested with the other flavors. Goes down pretty easy and pairs really will with spicy food.

czechsaaz, Oct 05, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Excellent IPA. Nice citrus/hop smell, pours amber/gold with nice head and lacing to the end. Has a great bitter hop smack with refreshing citrus notes followed by a malt backbone to balance things out. For an IPA I think this is a little on the mild side for hop bitterness. Very well balanced and exceptional in every aspect. So glad to have found this one!... especially since Three Floyds is on standby in Cincy...

mattgert, Oct 05, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Hazy in appearance, and golden in color. Head starts thick and rocky, but slowly settles into a nice, thin lace.

S: Big grapefruit aroma. Hops are abundant, and smell spicy and citrusy. Slight smell of sweet malt.

T: Much like the smell, the first taste is grapefruit and citrus. This beer has serious hops. The intense bitterness is balanced by an underlying malt backbone.

D: Medium bodied with perfect level of carbonation. Crisp with a warming alcohol finish.

D: Very drinkable despite the relatively high ABV. An excellent IPA. It's the benchmark for the style in my opinion. One of my all time favorites.

BassAssassin, Oct 04, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer pours a golden amber color with a light foamy head that settled into a light lace. It has a sweet smell that tickles the nose with a spicy hops IPA tingle. This beer has a stronger bite then the Ruination IPA that Stone brews. It has a nice hops spice and a good blend of flavors but it doesn’t have the same IPA qualities as its sister beer. Where that beer seemed strong and sweet this one is more crisp and biting. It is less forgiving to someone that doesn’t know the power of an IPA. Its feel is hard and sharp. It cuts through your mouth with flavor and hits you with the IPA tingle. It finishes crisp and refreshing. In all this is a high quality IPA. It is not a masterpiece but well worth drinking if you like hops.

eballard, Oct 02, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured a hazy light orange with a gloriously thick and clingy white head. Smell is pine, citrus, butter, grass, and a hint of chocolate. This is a thick IPA. It weighs heavily on the tongue and is very smooth in the mouth.

The appearance, smell, and feel do not disappoint, and neither does the taste. The taste has something for anyone...hop punch, sweetness, strong malt presence, wetnesss and dryness; its all there. The flavors are all big, but they're all working together rather than against each other. The malts offset the initial puckering from the hops, and then the dryish finish balances out the sweeter citrus, esters, melon, and chocolate type flavors. I typically find Stone's "we're too tuff for you" slogans a bit tacky, but in this beer's case, it may be warranted. This IPA is bursting at the seams, but in a good way. It is an explosion of flavor, but not so over the top that it can't be paired with foods. It would hold up pretty well to and compliment almost any meat dish.

This monster remarkably drinkable, especially given its heft, though it shouldn't really take too many to get you happy at ~7%. I had the DFH 60 Minute before this and crowned it the IPA by which all others are to be measured, but now I am not so sure. This is a stellar and unique take on the style. Bold, but not bold for the sake of shock value. Cheers to everyone on the West Coast who can get this without high effort and costs.

jhollick, Sep 28, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured fresh from the kegerator in my living room with a big fluffy white head which died away within the first couple of minutes leaving a heavy lacing on my Stone Ruination pint glass. Appears a transparent light amber, no cloudiness at all.
Smells of floral hops with a sweet hint of malt. Taste is a great balance between the two even with a strong hop character. Grapefuit hop flavor dominates over hints of orange rind and light toasted malt. This is far and away my favorite American IPA out there, just finally getting around to reviewing it. It does a great job of satisfying my craving for hops while being incredibly drinkable. At 6.9% it can catch up with you after a bit, but overall this is an amazing beer, and the IPA that I compare all others to.

bkett01, Sep 27, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer pours a light orange haze with a slight copper hue depending on the lighting. Two finger head thats fairly thick, especially for an IPA, that clings to the glass till the end.

Smells of strong hops and a grassy, piney, and skunky undertone. With a hint of what I can only think of is some type of melon with a little citrus. Mouth watering because I know whats in store.

Initial taste is a very hoppy one with a good malty following that
carries a citrus mix the whole way though. Bitter bite lingers to remind you this is a stone brew. Good consistency, you know you've had some good beer minutes later. Hop bitterness lingers.

Drinkability depends. Six pack can easily be drank by one throughout a session, but it's nice to follow up a few of these with Stones Ruination IPA a true liquid poem.

ruinationation, Sep 26, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 45 degrees; a cloudy golden color with a thin 1 inch head.

S - Hops punch you in the nose, but the smell is very well-rounded with a grassy/piney background.

T - Starts with a dry, piney feel, but quickly gives way to a grapefruity-hoppy body. Finishes with a wonderful balance of hoppy-bitterness and, again, grapefruits.

M - Medium-feel with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Top-shelf IPA thanks to the classic Stone bitterness. This was my first Stone experience, and I enjoyed it before I knew how big the beer world really was. A very good introduction to the Stone taste and a wonderful IPA!

JohnnyM2002, Sep 26, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A clear, yellow-amber color. Appears light-bodied and thin.

Has a very mild aroma. A slight hop aroma, but malts also coming through. Balanced scent, nothing overpowering. Has an underlying fruit scent; maybe apricot? Pleasant, but doesn't make me salivate for it.

Strong hoppy flavor. Malts are present, but overwhelmed by the hops for sure. Nicely balanced; hops are not as overwhelming as I expected. Malt is a nice, smooth counterpoint. Has a slight fruit flavor which I can't quite identify, but it works.

Thick and heavily hopped. Has a fizzy consistency that bounces off the tongue. Not a light beer, by any stretch. But highly drinkable. Has a very hoppy aftertaste, which means I probably couldn't drink two consecutively, but I could drink several in a night. Good beer.

williamherbert, Sep 26, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one of my favorite brews that I keep in the cooler all the time. Pours a light to medium body that had wonderful hazy golden yellow hue w/ a frothy 1 inch head that does not let down. What attracts me to this IPA is the intense hop and malt flavor. Starts off watery and bittersweet and ends w/ a long lasting dry bitter taste. Love the tartness it leave on my lips. The aroma is also great. A great blast of citrus grapefruit, malt and a slight hint of alcohol. Well- balance brew and goes great with a new york strip or prime rib entree, bbq or by itself. Enjoy.

GimpyCane, Sep 26, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance – This beer pours a nice deep golden color complimented by a good amount of frothy off white head. The head has some staying power and leaves lacing all the way down.

Smell – First off I get some bread malt with tons of floral hop. Other fruity aromas arise with some malty sweetness and a touch of citrus hop. Very nice.

Taste – Little less bitter than I expected to start but as it warms the bitterness becomes more noticeable. There is a nice amount of grainy biscuit flavor to this beer as well. Citrus and floral hops flavors are there with some bread malt to add. The aftertaste from this one is mostly straight dry bitterness.

Mouthfeel – Good body to it with a nice toned carbonation. My mouth is a touch dry and sticky afterwards though.

Drinkability – Excellent. I had not problems here and it tasted great.

I really like this beer. Very glad to have it brought to me from the U.S. by my father. This just made me fonder of India Pale Ales.

Orrshow, Sep 24, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured a mostly clear, deep gold into a pint glass. Small head, but good lacing that sticks around.

Complex aroma -- soapy citrus, pine, some definite watermelon (!) in there, and good spicy hops.

Taste is surprisingly muted. Big malty backbone with some unexpected sweetness. Some aggressive lemon hops up front, but they don't make a lasting impact. Well-balanced, I guess, but I was expecting more hoppy goodness. Mouthfeel is OK. Aftertaste is a muted dull bitterness, and a little bit yeasty.

Moderately disappointed with this one, considering its reputation. Bought a six pack, and this was my first, so I may re-review later on.

crwills, Sep 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a hazy orange with sticky off white head, leaving some lace on the glass as it recedes. Citrusy hops in the aroma with some sweetness, it almost smells like an orange. Lots of citrusy hop flavor, malty sweetness and bitterness (especially in the finish). Medium bodied, but it does seem lighter bodied than I would expect. I like this, unlike some other stone beers, the bitterness seems balanced well with the flavors. I wouldn't want more than one of these, but this is a very enjoyable beer.

Dizzy, Sep 20, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Yet another outstanding brew from Stone. The color is great, the smell is hoppy without being overbearing, and this is one of the best IPA's I have had to date. I could drink way too many of these, they go down smoothly and taste wonderful. The brewmaster at Stone never stops amazing me.

blsfreak, Sep 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

I purchased this tonight at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I chilled it to around 45º F and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper, with a thick, fluffy, off-white head that thins to a persistent film leaving patchy lace on the inside of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is predominantly hoppy, mostly piney and resiny. There are also hints of a malty sweetness, but this is subtle.

Taste: Nice and hoppy. There's a light balancing toasty and sugary sweetness, but this stands no chance against the hops. The hop character becomes dominant in the center and lingers through to the finish. The hops are predominantly citrusy and resiny.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation and oily.

Drinkability: Tasty and quite drinkable for such a hoppy beer.

Overall: A very nice IPA with lots of hop flavors and aromas that aren't overpowered by sweet maltiness.

EPICAC, Sep 17, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

This is my very first Stone beer. Thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

Very cool silkscreened 12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Wow! This is a beautiful beer. The color is a warm hazy golden honey yellow. Active carbonation streamers dancing in the center. The head starts off as a bright white inch and a half cap and never recedes to less than a 1/4 inch. The lacing is a joy to watch. In fact, I think this is one of the most perfect examples of lacing I've seen. Each sip leaves a spider web on the glass. Small chunks of foam cling to the glass and slowly drifts itself back down to the beer, glittering in carbonation the entire time. Absolutely beautiful.

Smell is very grassy/piney bitter from the hops. Quite aromatic, I can smell it from a half arms length. Taste follows smell and then some. The bitterness is floral and citrus combined. Tiniest of malt sweetness lingers in the background. Added bit of spice for kick. It is very full and works itself from front to back of the mouth, leaving a crisp pucker.

I am left feeling bitter that Stone beers are still not available in Missouri

bort11, Sep 17, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into my newly ordered Stone IPA specialty glass, and man does it look great in this glass.

Appearance - This beer pours a rich orange/honey color that is slightly hazy. The beer has many gently (not fast) rising columns of carbonation bubbles. The head is about two fingers thick and creamy in color and texture. It remains at about a finger thick cap of silky head floating on top of the brew. It leaves good lacing through the entire drink. Little alcohol burn on the nose.

Smell - Sweetness as well as a profound bitterness from the very high amount of hops in this brew. There are also some herbal and floral notes to the hops. There are obviously a wide array of hops types that have been added to this IPA. A sweet bready malt character can be smelled way in the background of the amazing boquet of aromas eminating from this glass.

Taste - Wow! Your tongue is barraged immediately with all kinds of hop flavors. The main mixture seems to be some mainly herbal hops paired with a dry- and bitter-charactered hops selection. Also mixed in, but of less intensity, is a mixture of some floral hops notes and a very slight bit of fruitiness (some peach definitely toward the finish, or especially if you quaff it.). There is a large overall citrusy character to the beer that pairs well with the dryness of some of the hops flavor. Again in the background is a sweet bready malt character that helps to balance (if only a little) the insane hoppiness of this fine beer. The aftertaste has some earthiness and an oily bitter hoppiness to it. There is little alcohol throughout the taste.

Mouthfeel - With a medium body, clean character, and a good smoothness, this stuff is a pleasure to drink. The carbonation contains and initial burst of bite to your tongue, but this quickly dies down to a perfect and complimenting level of carbonation for the rest of the taste.

Drinkability - The only thing that takes any merit away from this drinkability on this one is the very intense level of hop flavor and bitterness. While I personally take a liking to this flavor, I imagine the average beer drinker probably would only be able to drink one or two (at the most) of these babies.

Overall, probably the best American IPA I've ever had. A very unique brew among its rivals and it has a superb mixture of different hop types. A must have for IPA or hops lovers!

dblinkhorn, Sep 16, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Golden with a slight amber hue

S - A mouthwatering blend of grass, pine, orange and lemon aromas. This beer has perhaps the best aroma of any IPA I've sampled.

T - Crisp hop flavors jump out, followed by slight malty sweetness. The taste is somewhat tart with lingering hop bitterness. The malt is just too slight for a perfect balance, but it is close.

M - Medium to light. Carbonation throughout lends a lightness to this typically medium-heavy style.

D - Drinkability is very good. This is a relatively bold and flavorful beer, typical Stone, but still very refreshing. The 6.9% abv is hardly evident during consumption.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA and would certainly satisfy any hop-lover not looking for a roundhouse to the tastebuds from overpowering hop deliciousness.

Daehpoh, Sep 14, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Have to thank Sidd for sending me a sixer of this. Poured into a traditional pint glass and first thing I noticed is the great orange hue and nice white head. Reasonable lacing left on the glass. The smell is very citrusy and floral hop aromas. One of the best smelling IPAs I have had to be honest, as the hop aroma was very evident, but not in the burn your nose hair kind of way. I found the beer to be very malty, semi-sweet, and with a solid hoppy punch on the back end. I though the hop profile was pretty much perfect as it had a great deal of flavor, but wasn't so bitter you were puckering up as you drank it. Has a very velvety smooth mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable beer, and one I just found is available neer me. Unfortunately with a $10.50/six pack price tag, it will be a rare treat. If you have a chance to try this, don't pass it up.

Generik420, Sep 12, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

This beer pours a pale orange with a frothy white head that holds for a good amount of time amd laces nicely as well. The smell is all piney and cirtrusy hops with some sweetness. Its almost like smelling right into centennial hops. The taste echoes the smell. The hop flavor dominates the taste. Its almost ke drinking hop tea. The mouthfeel is just the right body with a good amount of carbonation. OVerall highly drinkable, a great IPA. I wish I could always have this.

MSchae1017, Sep 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy 1 inch head into my pint glass. Looks good for the style.

S: Piney, citrusy hops. This is the smell I love in IPA's. Smells great.

T: Strong hop bitterness up front with a solid caramel malt backbone. I am not the biggest IPA fan but this is a good one.

M: Dry, crisp, refreshing. Really makes ya want the next sip.

D: This is 1 of my hot day beer's, I am not the hugest IPA fan, but every now and again I run across 1 that I really enjoy and this is 1 of em. A really great example of the style.

Iguana, Sep 10, 2006
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.