Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

This has to be the tastiest IPA I've ever had, and the most balanced. Floral hops hit you as soon as you pop the top off the bottle. The taste is resiny, and floral with a solid malt backing. This beer is too easy to drink at nearly 7% abv. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these at one sitting. Definitely recommended.

rodrot, Sep 22, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Stone IPA is the first brew to make me realize what I was missing. The complexity of flavor throughout really ballance a very strong hop profile. It enhances the hops and brings out all the various flavors. I never realized a beer could taste this way.

A little pricey, but worth every penny. A sure fire bet to be the tipping point for any drinker starting to indulge in micros. I'll still drink Titan IPA more often because I need to support the Colorado brewers. This is a hophead must.

ChrisA, Sep 21, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This guy pours beautifully with a fluffy white head of medium build that slides down the side of the glass, leaving little behind. Lovely amber color. The bubbles are there to be seen but not blatant.

When you first smell this guy it is a kick you in the nose punk that tries to bully you away. But when you dare come back, you notice the hops and the citrus in there. Both distinct and both inviting and neither like your typical beer. Very unique and it gets you fired up for that first sip.

I've never tasted hops quite this good. Obvious, blatant and by no means overdone. These are quality hops that taste slightly bitter but more smooth and full of character. There is just enough sweetness to offset the hops and this makes the IPA one of the best I've ever had. I want another. Unreal.

misterscooter, Sep 18, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

I'm reviewing this for my own beer profile more-so than for others to get any new insights as to what I think. I mean, how could I add any more raves to this spectacular beer?

In my book, this de-thrones Bridgeport IPA as one of my all-time favorites. It's a close match, but I have to give the edge to this beer. Stone comes as close as possible to the edge of being too hoppy without crossing that line. If a good IPA should be considered "balanced", then this is perfection. From the floral aroma to the citrusy hop bite and bitter finish, this is the best IPA, and the freshest I might add, I've experienced. Fantastic.

Gruntlumber, Sep 14, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +5%

It's about time I review this IPA, and it's a good thing too since there are only 478 reviews to date. The color is clear copper with a two-finger white head. Aromas are floral and sweet with notes of pines and grapefruit. The taste is hoppy, although this stuff tastes pretty subtle compared to Stone's monstrous line-up, with citrus and sweet malts. Not a huge beer, but a superb everyday treat.

goschool, Sep 14, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden amber color with a nice head, some carbonation, but not much lacing at all. Very hoppy with some sweet, citrusy scents. The taste is sweet and hoppy with a little bite at the end. Light to medium body. This ale is very drinkable. Glad to have found it.

Wasatch, Sep 08, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear golden amber color with a foamy white head. The head sticks around lacing the glass. The smell is sweet and strong with well.... hops and citrus. The taste is of.... hops and finishes with a grapefruit citrus. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Drinkable.... yes.

LucaBrasi, Sep 06, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a deep, clear gold/amber color. Quickly dissipating white head.

Aroma is pretty much all hops. Piny, citrusy, and maybe a bit of an almost minty aroma.

Flavor is mostly hops, too. But still fairly well balanced with malt. Finishes with a lingering bitterness with an almost juniper-like flavor.

Not bad.

stodbrew, Sep 06, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: A nice light tan ale with decent head and very slight lacing.

Smell: My nose is stuffed, but there is no mistaking the hops in this. An IPA to say the least.

Taste: Again, hops, lots of them. If you like hops (I do) this a beer for you. The 6.9% ABV is also obvious, but blends in with the hops very, very well.

Mouthfeel: As soon as it hits the tongue the carbonation explodes again. While some don't like this, I sure do, a coin flip I suppose.

Drinkability: This is one that deserves to be had often, but sometimes price, and most times availibilty here don't allow.

Stone really can't do wrong. I have a special bone in my body for IPA, and this tickles that itch. It's just a good beer, flat out. I wish I could drink this more often, but I don't see it as often as I'd like in the stores. Keep em' coming stone, I know we'll be waiting.

Bumpon10s, Sep 04, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Without doubt one of my favorite beers ever. Just hoppy enough to give it some bite, balanced by sufficient malt to give it the sweetness it needs to balance the bitterness of the hops. Smooth, creamy, hoppy, piney, citrusy, resinous, all perfectly balanced. Stone doesn't seem to make a bad beer. Not the overwhelming hops of Ruination, not too much malt to make it too sweet. Simply perfect. If you have any friends who insist Bud Light is good beer, given them a glass of this and watch the reaction.

kirok1999, Sep 03, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -10%

Perfect pour. Light amber brown with the nicest white head of suds. Smells of sweet piney hops and a touch of mint. Oh my, this looks good.

This is a hoppy IPA without a substantial amount of malt body. The taste is dominated by a medicinal citrus injection. For the hop-fanatic in me this is a wonderland of bubbly bitterness that tickles the tastebuds long after I take a sip. For the IPA-lover in me it is too linear, and its focus on over-the-top hops denies the complexity of a malty base. Definately worth picking up again.

Hop2it, Sep 01, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This brew pours a nice strawberry orange, with a one finger marshmallow head which fades fairly quickly into a ring and island. The smell is citrus apple and a bit of pine. Taste is slightly sweet, big and hoppy as hell. Light ready malts with grapefruit and piney hops. Aftertaste is strong and hearty. Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and full. Great session beer and may I just say the burps are exquisite. A classic that'll never die. Everything about this beer is big.

Bleedingshrimp, Aug 31, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Golden color with a creamy head and nice lacing. Aroma was filled with citrusy hops, orange rind, and some grapefruit. Very hoppy, bitter, nice sweet finish. Very balanced, very good IPA, my favorite! I thought I had rated this too high, but upon revisiting, its really a top notch IPA.

egajdzis, Aug 24, 2005
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Bomber picked up at Dyess AFB, Texas.

I've been looking forward to trying this for a while. Pours a nice golden colore with a one finger head that quickly fades to a thim layer, and pretty good lacing.

Has a great floral, hoppy, pine and citrus smell, that really makes me look forward to drinking it. I love the smell of a good IPA.

Taste is of grapefruit, hops, pine and malt. I was expecting a bigger hop bite to this beer, but this is a well balanced beer with great drinkability. I finished my first glass before I realized it.

I hope that I can find some more Stone Brewing beers.

RedHaze, Aug 22, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

I had tried this brew in a 22 oz. bottle a while back, and recently bought a six pack to try at home. It was a little late at night when I got home from work, went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle-opened it and took a swig. I suddenly thought to myself "what am I doing?" I grabbed a pint glass and slowly poured this delicate libation in. I brought the glass to my nose and took in the aromas. "This must be what Bavaria smells like", I thought aloud. This beer has a golden hue and a nose of FRESH hops to it. I was once again, amazed by Stone, it smelled so fresh! The mouthfeel is heavy and the taste is quite strong, starting off hoppy and light like most IPA's but finishing with a little bit more bitterness than I was expecting. Which was a good thing. A perfect brew for anytime of year.

MattBrooks, Aug 17, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Clear golden orange in color, a puffy white head receding into a super-sticky lacing. The smell is a wonderful thing: fragrant hops...hops ALL over the place, with a very subtle hint of alcohol and grain. Taste is also quite deliciously hoppy. Piney, herbal, with malt subtleties coming through near the end, a lingering bitterness prevailing. Mouthfeel is big and full with a mild tingly carbonation and dry finish.

This is a BIG IPA on all levels, not particularly overwhelming, just extreme in aroma and taste (which is certainly not a bad thing). This is what an IPA should be. Damn tasty...one should always have a few of these on hand.

wedge, Aug 17, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Nicely hopped, just as you'd expect from a West Coast IPA. The hops have a kick and are perfectly chosen, tasting good from the first sip through the end of the great aftertaste. I didn't experience any hops fatigue, which sometimes happens as a hoppy character comes to overwhelm other flavors in the beer as you drink it more and more. This one kept on tasting like it did on the first sip. A knockout IPA.

GnomeKing, Aug 16, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Nothing special to look at. But upon my first sip, I proclaimed this the smoothest-tasting IPA in the universe. Layers-upon-layers of citrusy hops, with none of the lingering bitterness of some of my other favorite IPA's. Oh, this is a good one. The good folks at Stone Brewing never disappoint me...

troutmask96, Aug 15, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This one pours a nice wholesome amber, with an awesome frothy, creamy head, at least an inch. Real sticky lacing. The aroma is great. It is very discernable and has loads of ultra smooth hoppiness. Smells of leaves, floral, spice, with some pine and a hint of biscuit. This beer smells like how I'd expect a beer orchard to smell; Delicious. As for flavor, this one has a variety. There is a stronger spicey hop taste then there is in the smell, followed by piney, leafy/floral sensations and then a bitterness thoughout the finish. At the end of the taste it almost turns dry, but instead smooths out. This beer is incredibly smooth, and slighty syrupy. The large hop spectrum smooths together real nice.

I could 'temporarily' substitute this beer for oxygen...one of the best IPAs that I've had. Mmmm.

tastybeer, Aug 12, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a brown longneck bottle that had something to say to my expectant beer mug. No noticable date . . . though at almost 7%abv and hopped into oblivion, I'm not worried.

A - Poured moderately Stone's IPA generated a tall, aggressive head; which eventually settled down to about 2 fingers of slightly off-white rocky foam. I had to wait to and pour a third of the bottle at a time. Beautiful slightly hazy amber/gold, with lacing all the way down the glass.

S - This smells amazing. Sweet malts and hops, almost fruity in aroma. And ooooh the hops.

T - And oooh the hops! This beer has such a big hop kick. The best balance between crazy hops and malt I've yet tasted. the malts pack enough body and sweetness to offset the powerful hop biterness. The balance is probably the best part about the taste, and it keeps me coming back for more.

M - Smooth. Very smooth, with just enough carbonation. This is a full bodied ale. Its solid and strong without being too dry or having too much of an oily hop feel. There is only a slight touch of alcohol in the finish, which is impressive at 6.9% abv.

D - If beer gets better than this I can't afford it. I can and would drink this all the time. Its that good. The only things stopping this from being an awesome session beer are cost (about 8$ a 6 pack) , 6.9% abv, and the heavy nature of the beer itself, it'll fill me up darn fast.

Long Live Stone Brewery!

Kreuger, Aug 11, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -4%

poured a beautiful orange color with nice head that fell to a spotty coating that lasted throughout the glass. Hops litterally flew out of the bottle and attacked my senses (not that I'm complaining). Taste is a bit over-powering at first, but gradually the hops and bitterness tone down to be very enjoyable. The dryness in the back of the moth is magnificent. Great beer, but one is enough if I need to do anything useful the next day.

tgbljb, Aug 10, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Now Quaffing: Stone IPA 22oz.

I can picture myself lying atop the fluffy cloud of a head that tops this clear golden concoction. Juicy citrus and piney hops are the most dominate aromas present. The mouthfeel starts smooth and then gives a lovely prick on the tongue as the hops take over for a somewhat dry and pleasantly bitter finish that lingers, but is not overpowering. Dry hopped, but certainly not overdone, this is an incredibly drinkable IPA. This would be a regular in my fridge if it were readily available in my area.

TripelJ, Aug 09, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

The color is copper with a large and creamy off-white head. Retention is very good. The aroma is all hops, strong and citrissy. The taste is dominated by strong hop flavor with an above average level of bitterness. An underlying rich malt body gives this beer a bit more complexity. This is definently a great beer choice for a hop head, but this doesn't seem to be much better than the handfull of other IPAs I've sampled. I was probably expecting just a little bit more from Stone.

Gagnonsux, Jul 30, 2005

12 oz. brown bottle.

Clear amber with modest white head.

Pungent, herbal hops with a nice caramel like sweetness in the nose.

Medium-light body with subtle carbonation and a nice oily mouth coating. Hops are ever so present, but not over the top. Citric in nature, backed by the signature Stone syrupy malt sweetness.

Not the best IPA I've had by a long shot, and not the best beer I've had from Stone either, but still better than average.

Shultzerdugen, Jul 29, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours crystal clear golden orange with a rocky ivory head. Smells of herbal hops, fruity yeast.

Taste is all hops. Sharply bitter hops offset with lighter fruity citrus hops. Medium bodied and lightly crisp. A dry long lingering bitterness. Good stuff, not a classic but good.

ViveLaChouffe, Jul 28, 2005
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.