Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,160
4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a nice golden orange color with a huge frothy head and great lacing.

S - Huge hops notes that become apparent from the first moment I open the bottle. Citrus notes dominate with faint hints of pine and dank resin. A tiny bit of malts come through as well.

T - Nice big hoppy taste. A nice mix of citric, floral and dank tastes. A little sweet as well. This is what an IPA should taste like.

M - Medium bodied, great carbonation. A dry, hoppy finish. A touch of hoppy bitterness as well.

O - A great IPA, it shouldn't be a surprise that this is the type of beer that Stone is known for. If you want an aggressive IPA, drink this now! (646 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Massive hops aroma assaults the senses after pouring this appealing amber brew. Puts other IPA's into another category.
The nose says all hops the taste says big, grainy, caramel malt underlying the big time Pacific Northwest hop profile. The hops are so flavorful, bitterness doesn't really come to mind. The citric, piney adjectives don't seem to capture all the different complexities available in this brew. Anyone who loves hops and thinks they've had it all should try this beer. (486 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from the tap at our SD hotel the first night in town.

A- Lighting wasn't ideal in the room, but it had a very nice rocky head, and excellent lacing. My wife had a sierra nevada pale, and I was actually surprised that the SN was a little darker and redder than the Stone IPA, which I felt was on the lighter end of the AIPA spectrum, nice lacing.

S- out of sight. massive hop aroma, dry hopping to the extereme! wonderful complex hop notes, from whole hop, with a little citrus mixed in,

T- again, fantastic. Smacks you right away with a full bore bitter hop assault. A nice sweet grain malt background gives way to a bitter hop finsh of unusual complexity.

M- Spot on here, a little resin left on the teeth and tongue, and good carbonation to pull away some of the bitterness, but not too much of it.

O- Great IPA, a pillar of hoppiness. (852 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Tasted at the Pop the Cap Winter Warmer Event, 1/31 at Tyler's.

I take pretty fondly to Stone's brews--that much is apparent. But what should I expect from one of their lesser-hyped, not quite monster brews?

The answer, I found out, is pure excellence.

Stone IPA poured a bold golden color with orange hues and a thin, quickly disappearing white head. The powerful floral aroma is detectable from more than a foot away, as pure hops brilliance dances into my nostrils.

This is a gorgeous beer. It has the perfect balance of hop bitterness, floral hop sweetness, and overall crispness, as well as true depth in an IPA. With every sip, I discovered a new, brilliant element. Simply awesome.

Bar none, this is the best IPA I've ever had. Wow. (754 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

This is my favorite IPA. I love this stuff. The appearance is a clear, light amber color. The smell is beautiful, those flowery hops coming through nicely. The taste...right on for an IPA. It leaves that trademark bitterness on the back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, refreshing. I like mine nice and cold, a perfect summer brew. The alcohol content is masked nicely, and the drinkability is good. This beer was my first IPA, and I've loved it ever since. (471 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

glorious 12 oz. presentation that's ultimately defined by its etching, in a standard format. once poured, an enviable copper consumes the glass topped off by two-finger head. retention is way above average w/ patterns of lacing marking their territory throughout the enjoyment. substantial effort was put into this offering.

hybrid of pine and citrus takes center stage. soft hints of floral spices linger in the background. this is the smell i often dreamed would result after a summer rainstorm. insane.

one of the most balanced tastes for IPAs to date. everything was measured w/ precision and it shows, better yet tastes, in this first-rate offering from stone. hops speak volumes as they should; the malt is sweet, not overbearing, yet the perfect compliment. balance is the operative term when summing up this IPA.

my mouth underwent a massage. the palate is pleased by an unparalleled texture, low carbonation and residual finish.

one of the best IPAs i have had and deserves any accolades bestowed present or future. hops aren't as complex as i would prefer, but i can't complain about a beer that defines balance and registers perfect enough to the taste, that it demands to be consumed all night long.

an elite IPA. (1,230 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 22 oz. brown bottle with an "enjoy by" date printed on the neck. Served in a Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: One finger head goes down eventually and stays there until the end. It has a clear, bright gold color, and leaves some very nice lacing.

Smell: The smell is fantastic, with a dominating herbal hop scent and some pine, fruit and spice notes present too.

Taste: This beer has a big hop character, overwhelmingly so. It's very herbal, spicy and bitter. You've gotta love hops to really appreciate the details and character in this. If you don't it'll be just another (albeit good) strong, bitter brew.

Moutfeel: It feels creamy, full bodied and smooth. It leaves a tingling sensation on the palate that's quite curious.

Overall: An amazing brew in every single aspect. If you love hops, IPA's or just something crisp, bitter and challenging, you'll love this beer. If you don't, you'll probably be put off by the intensity of it all. (966 characters)

12 oz. bottle.

A somewhat tentative pour gave me only a finger and a half head and only moderate lacing. Golden in color and slightly cloudy but transparent. On the 2nd pour I went for broke and had to pause for a minute till I could get the last 2 swallows into the glass. 3 1/2 finger head in my pint glass.

A blast of hops after popping the cap that's almost as good as sex. Wonderful piney herbal aroma. Every now and then, a whiff of faint popcorn or coffee.

Nice, light sweetness, but the hops predominate. Noticable citrus early on. Long-lasting bitterness in the end. Aftertaste 2.0 kicks in with every burp, bringing the herbal vapors of the hops back to the fore.

Moderate body. Very biting early on, but mellowing out the more you drink. Slightly sticky. Nice burn down the throat.

A great drinker, but I'm finding the 6.9% ABV is slowing me down a bit.

I had thought that AB was the first Stone brew I had tried, but after reading the notes on the label concerning the gargoyle, I realized it was this beer. My feel at the time was that it was an inpressive brew, but I wasn't sure that I really liked it all that much.

Having sampled a number of Stone brews since, I have now become an official hop-head, and can accept this as the truly great beer that it is. In fact, I revel in it. (1,305 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Great IPA much more drinkable then celebration ale. Golden in appearence nice head rentation when poured aggressivly. Very sticky. smell is very nice prototypical extreme IPA. Spicy hops, grapefruit, pinnapple, kind of a medicinal sent. Taste is spicy hops and fruit. Warms you up pretty good half way through consumption. recommended IPA and i would go as far as saying its just a little bit better then celebration due to its drinkablity. (440 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured a clear bright amber color with lively carbonation. Thick fluffy white head with lots of sticky lacing.

Floral scent, as well as a variety of spices, and some fruit.

Herbs and spices were most notable at first, a little piney, some grains, and very hoppy.

Medium bodied, creamy feel with moderate carbonation.

This is an excellent beer all around, very complex and flavorful. (386 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a light golden hue with a huge two fingered head that leaves sheets of lacing on my pint glass. A fantastic floral bouquet filled with scents of citrus fruit, sweet malt, and a second dose of grapefruit scent just to make sure you know the hops are in your face. It smells like I have fistfuls of hops cones. The taste is really impressive with the citrus, floral, sweet malt, and bold hop character playing off each other and never really dominating each other. The flavor profile just melts together on your palate and makes for a nice drinking experience. This beer is medium bodied with medium carbination. Alcohol is very well hidden and I didn't really ever notice it. This beer is highly drinkable and should be on the list to try for all hop lovers.

Well done Stone, and I award you with always having a sixer in my fridge of this tasty brew. (857 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Mmmmm....probably the best IPA I've ever run across. Everything about it makes me tingle. My girlfriend is laughing at me right now as I make full, sensual love to this beer with every one of my senses. The bottle is gorgeous. Standard brown bottle with a wonderful screen painted label. These men delight in their craft. So do I.

It pops with a little his, letting me know there's a little carbonation waiting for me. That little tease. Sweat drips down the bottle. I can hear it calling for me without it saying a word.

She tips over. She has a full body. Golden like sunflowers with a hint of dark mystery about her. She stands there waiting for me. A beautiful head on top a slick body. She's wearing nothing but a little lace around her stem. Shhh...you're making my girlfriend jealous.

She smells like everything I ever could have wanted. Strong citrus with a little floral scent on the way out. She smells sweet as an orange. I can't take the anticipation any longer. I seize her and bring her close to me. I take a little gasp before diving in.

She's a little bubbly. She tickles me ever so slightly. But over all...she smooth, real smooth. A buxom beauty to the end. She's got a great, full body that I can't get enough of. Sweet, hoppy. Thick and spicy. She's a party till the end. I can't take my lips off her.

We are talking about a beer here. So I don't feel dirty closing this with "down she goes." (1,427 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

By far my favorite of all time and I finally had a chance to have it on tap at the Flying Saucer, Addison, TX (for $2.50 no less). What's not to like?

The appearance is gold in a pint glass for more reasons than one. A deep golden-orange hue to be exact. Very tight, one finger head with great lacing throughout the glass.

Smell is perfect and everything I happen to look for in and IPA. Piney, flowers, citrus; it's all in there. So much so you can't wait to take a sip.

Tastes perfect as well. The nose really adds to the experience. At first, you think this is going to be a hop bomb with minimal malt character but not so fast. The malty sweetness follows shortly behind and lingers through the bitter-dry but sweet finish. So complex.

Mouthfeel is great for the first two beers you have. Much more and the hops begin to paralyze your tast buds. This isn't even Ruination. I seem to be tasting this for hours after the fact and in a good way.

Drinkability is strong as well but after you have your ability to taste much of anything after a couple of these, you get half of a point deducted. Still, I would keep going on principal and at $2.50 a pint, why not?

I can't readily get this one in MD. However, it is the one beer I genuinely seek out when I travel. (1,281 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Fantastic IPA. Great example of the style.

Appearance is a golden pale. Nice head and solid lacing

Smell is hops, hops, hops. Citrus dominate with some pine and floral hints.

Taste is hoppy, citrus, floral, bitter. Great balance between bittering hops and flavor hops. Finish isn't sweet but there is a dry malt flavor on the very back end.

Mouthfeel is very nice.

Drinkability is terrific if you are a fan of the style. If you don't like IPA's..this one isn't for you.

Great beer. It's simplistic: hops are hops and malts are malts. Not overly complex but everything is in perfect balance allowing one to enjoy this fine beer in all it's glory. Well done. (663 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

The color is light orange. This IPA is a winner, it's bitter but the malt comes through oh so nicely. Some nice citrus flavors come through with the hops. The balance is amazing, I freaking love this beer. The only problem is it's a little pricey on the east coast. Check out the Arrogant Bastard Strong Ale as well. This is a close 2nd in my favorite IPA (first is smuttynose). SO freaking drinkable, I could drink this all night, which might be a little dangerous. (466 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

This is a complex beer! A lovely copper-red color, a cream colored head, a lasting lace work on the glass, great humor on the bottle, massive grapefruit-rind hops, aromatic esters, a medium-light bodied ale, rich flavor, nicely malted, slightly sweet toasty flavors, followed by a dry knockout perfect bitter finish. Perhaps too strong for some, maybe not a session beer, but MAN! is this fantastic beer. (404 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A show-all trend setter for pure India Pale Ale amongst the ranks. This foundation of a brew should be mocked and chased after by all breweries. Light flavor with rich-heavy after taste, smooth and golden color, hop notes are balanced, not the focal point of the beer. Overall well-slated IPA. (293 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a one finger head and excellent lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and floral hops dominate the aroma. Superb!!

T: Piney hops with some grassy flavors rounding it out. There are some sweet bready malts in there as well. Nice and bitter.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.

O: Well done Stone!! Another winner from an amazing brewery. (428 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

This beauty from Stone pours a deep orange color. A white head reached the top and left spotty lacing to the end of my beer. The aroma is a mixture of pine and citrus. Neither one overpowering the other, but making a nice mixture of the two. It is a fresh, crisp aroma with a hint of malt in the back ground. The taste is the aroma to a “T”. A floral rush of hops and a slight hint of malt, then a bitter after taste. A good bitter not a bad one, got to love that dry hopping thing! The hops cover any hint of alcohol in this brew, which makes it very drinkable and enjoyable to boot! Another great product from stone. (620 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Clear yellow amber. Nice creamy head, sticky white foam lace. Excellent retention!

S: Hop aromas! Nice complex herbal / spice characters.

T&M: First thing that hits the palate is hops, some spice & hops! Herbal and piney tastes too.
Smooth and very creamy. Medium bodied. The balance and complexity of this IPA is outstanding!

Excellent IPA! One of the best. (450 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Golden in color, slightly cloudy in clarity, this brew lent itself to an awesome two-finger, cream colored head. The aroma is excellently balanced between the flowery (not bitter) hop and the coy, slightly sweet malt. Interestingly, this beer tasted opposite of most--the hop was up front followed by malt. The beer was balanced throughout the tasting.

This is a full body ale with wonderful carbonation. This may be the best IPA I've ever enjoyed. I am drawn to getting another even though I prefer variety. (511 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

This is my "standard" beer. The Vons (grocery store) has been stocking this regularly, and is on sale occasionally, so i always have several bottles on hand. In the past sierra nevada pale ale, and back when bridalveil was being bottled, either of those were my stock beer, no longer.
this is a great beer! (307 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smell: Intensely floral and honey like. Just simply lovely and made me want to smell it more.

Taste: Notes of fruits and flower. Malty. Intense hoppy bitterness at the end, which left a lot of hoppy aftertaste in my mouth.

Overall: I don't like bitterness, so I won't be drinking this often. However, that doesn't mean that it is not a good one; it is up there with the top, and I am sure I will return to it. (412 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

From a great trade with IntriqKen, thanks!! Pours a deep amber reddish color with a small head. Smells hoppy and sweet, nice combo. Great hoppy taste, very nice combo of citrus and pine with still some malt sweetness too. Overall I am impressed and wish that I could find Stone up here in Maine (just may have to go to Mass. this weekend.) (339 characters)

Poured from bottle

A: lush golden straw with one inch head that melts down to a single layer of bubbles lace good and sticky

S: bouquet of sweet floral with pine

T: spicy floral with a light sweetness followed by bitter hops and pine

M: the right amount of carbonation to blend this flavor profile,

Overall there is nothing wrong with this brew and there is nothing that can make it better, it is the best IPA I've ever had and I never get tired of it (459 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.