Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,157
3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A bit dry aftertaste a surprise but otherwise a nice drink. Can be session starter or go with food. Pine and citrus grapefruit. Prominent bitterness.

This is a new IPA, sporting a gargoyle emblem. A transparent bottle that really shows big bubbles in there. (260 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Gold-copper-bronze hue with amber highlights, there is a slight haze to the color; the off-white head is creamy, about a finger in height. When the head collapsed a bubbly collar developed around the edges, sparser in the middle. As I sipped away, lace was created in good amounts. The nose casts no doubt as to the style of this beer, IPA. Hoppiness reigns supreme, grapefruit flesh up-front, rinds in the middle, flowers at the back, juicy throughout. Good potency. For those who enjoy hops you really want to take a drink, so I do. Hop smacking good palate, upfront it is very lightly floral but that quickly is dispelled but spicy hot hop bitterness with biting alcohol and citrus notes. The palate is plenty raw, a bit too much for my tastes because any attempt at balance is obliterated by the hops. I do realize that balance is not the goal of Stone. It seems to lack a little crafting, I’m not complaining; as this is a very tasty beverage but a boatload of hops with little else doesn’t really impress me. The hop burps don’t let me forget what I’m drinking, which is cool. The lack of malt characteristics are depressing, the hoppiness is so strong, so powerful it makes for a one-dimensional beer. The aftertaste is dry and cleansing, typical of many hoppy beers, this one is really well done. Stone IPA is very appetizing and “more-ish.” The high alcohol induces a pleasant belly warming sensation. All a whole this is very good IPA, plenty bitter, it freaking sticks to your lips(!), I’d like to feel a heartier body, this one is hovers around medium, low and perfect carbonation, slightly slick mouthfeel. A solid IPA, it didn’t blow me away however. I’m glad I tried it.

12-ounce bottle, acquired via trade, thank you francisweizen! (1,760 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a bomber.

Pours a hazy golden color with a slight orange tinge, ample head that fades at a decent enough rate and leaves some good patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell is hoppy but not overly so, decent malt backbone.

Taste has a nice balance between hops and the malt, not overly hoppy as to "ruin" your taste buds but enough to please, easy to drink, above average for an IPA although nothing truly stands out. (417 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a bomber into my arrogant bastard specialty glass, pours an orange rustic color with a fluffy foamy head that stays the entire time and leaves some lace on the glass. Smell is pretty hoppy citrusy and grassy. Taste is bitter like grapefruits and also some citrus hops in the mix, I do enjoy this brew but other bottles that I have had seemed to taste a bit better, this is still an extremly good brew and a damn fine IPA plus stone has the coolest bottles ever. (468 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

The IPA from Stone Brewing Co. was poured from the bottle into a clean pint glass. It had a smaller head (1-1.5 inches) but it was nicely shaped.

The part of this IPA that bothered me the most was the appearance. It seems like a plain looking IPA, kind of a copper colored cloudy color. But it looked like there were solid particles hanging around. It may not be a big deal, but it bothered me just a bit.

The smell was my favorite part of the beer. It was incredible, an intensely strong hops smell, it practically cleared my sinuses.

The taste was a lot like the smell. A strong hoppy taste but refined with a citrus and pine-like backround. I am not really a fan of IPAs but I feel that for what this drink does, it does really really well.

Mouthfeel was fine. I could feel the carbonation but it wasn't crazy.

Overall, I'm not really a fan of IPAs. But this IPA makes such a strong identity for itself that I have to like it even if I wouldn't drink it regularly. If you REALLY like hops, it will make you happy. (1,023 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Good color, golden color with a nice head.

S: Nice aroma, with a gentle hoppy smell.

T: Slightly more bitter, was expecting more of a floral hop taste, however, this bitterness is not that bad.

M: Decent mouthfeel with a hint of alcohol.

O: A good brew, however, I'm not as impressed as I thought I was going to be. Could taste a little more alcohol than I was expecting. As I drink a lot of IPAs from around the country, I was expecting this to have a more floral taste, however, the bitter hoppy flavor is still quite pleasant. (538 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Rich honey to amber colored pour with relatively short lived head. Smell at first is big bold fresh hops, but in a matter of a couple minutes, the hops dissipated dramatically, and turned into a lightly aromatic honey and caramel with the faintest hint of alcohol. I've never noticed the hops aroma fading, or especially that quickly. Taste was actually rather smooth, sweet, and very mildly bittered and flavored from the hops. My girlfriend who can't normally drink IPA's from the bitterness actually liked this one. I was expecting a huge wack in the mouth from hops in this one after reading the bottle's description but it just didn't happen. I happen to like the milder side of IPAs rather than overly extreme, so it was nice, but I'd think some might be dissapointed. For 70 IBUs it was a cinch to drink, very enjoyable and worth getting again (850 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

From a 22oz bottle from BevMo in La Jolla...pours nicely with small white head. Nose is very hoppy, citrus and a bit bitter. After what I suspect was a light-struck bottle from another source, curious to try the IPA from this much-touted brewery.

Bitter hoppy taste, it varies some from citrusy and almost lemon-like to down-and-out bitter as my palate adjusts. There is just a hint of skunkiness as well, though given the location and lighting where I bought it I am not sure this beer has ever been light-exposed. While a pleasant example of an IPA, I think there are more interesting things out there, and will try some more things from this brewery before passing judgement. (681 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Deep orange in color with an nice white head that eventually just leaves a film. Medium carbonation. As expected, good aroma of pine, citrus, and resin. Quite a bit less than the Ruination. Overall, this is a good IPA, but not as good an IPA as Ruination is a DIPA. (265 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I love Stone brewing, don't get me wrong but they could have done much better with this one. It lacks on almost all fronts. Stone is known for being cutting-edge and over the top. This one is a safe bet. It's not a bad beer, but it just lacks that Stone-esque edge that we know and love. The taste is good, not great. Bitterness is there, nothing else really. Nose is decent, earthy, piney and floral with mild citrus. I wish they would have tried harder with their year-round IPA. Middle of the road, at best. (510 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

12 OZ bottle (thanks Sam). decants a golden-orange color with a big sticky white head that laces the glass... minimal carbonation...scents of plumbs, musty caramel and ample floral hopping. Starts mellow with a nice whack of fruit laden malts....THEN the hops take over and make a complex floral/grassy/bitter mixture from those northwest cones melding with the ample cramel malts gives a buttery peach impression...finish is surpisingly thick with the bitterness restrained by the maltiness plays long on the aftertaste as a lingering bitter fruit impression. A big beer for the style. (586 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: A nice thick head sips atop a clear yellow beer, leaning towards gold, with faint bubbles rising upward. I have high hopes for this beer, but they are not met by the appearance.

S: Strong hops. And more hops. There may even be a faint citrus in here. Unless my nose is right in it, I don't smell very much. What is there is nice however.

T: Thick and bready, the hops provide all the substance for this beer, but with a faraway, underlying malt frame that is all but obscured. Heavy and sharp on the tongue, these are some spicy hops. The aftertaste is drying (but not dry) and interminably hoppy.

M: The hops dominate the initial and final mouthfeel. The midfeel is biscuity.

D: I feel the Stone IPA is overrated. It's a good beer, but not amazing. The hops are fun for a while, but too violent in the beginning of each sip. The 6.9% tells. I wouldn't buy another, but you should try just one. (954 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Served on-tap at Spitzer`s Corner in the Lower East Side of Manhattan during happy hour , 3 bucks.

The appearance is a light brown with a one finger head.
The smell is of flora, some citrus and a fair amount of hops.
The taste is a well balanced ipa with some of those IBUs but not too many where it is overpowering.
Mouthfeel is a spicy, with some faint fruit flavors coming through, like orange, evening out the balance. Drinkability is good on the Stone IPA, however I do not understand why some hype this selection from them. Very good brew, but not great. (561 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A 12 ounce bottle picked up at the local as a single - realized I never wrote a review for this one and wanted to correct that oversight. Into the tulip it goes.

A tangerine colored body with a finger’s breadth of fluffy white head comprised of various sizes of bubbles. Average retention and generous wet lacing. Aroma is of pine, citrus (orange and lemon with a dash of grapefruit), grass, and a bit of caramel malt (hint of age on the bottle, I suppose). Flavor draws a bit more malt, but still generous doses of lemon, grapefruit, and pine up front. Bitter, earthen hops dominate the middle and finish. Lively body with perfect carbonation, dry, bitter finish. Overall, a well balanced IPA that is a great example of the style. I do wish Stone had a more robust bottle dating system (the date was wiped off this bottle), but it’s still fresh enough to be enjoyable. (874 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into my CCB pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, deep straw/gold color with one finger of eggshell white head that leaves minimal lace. The head does retain nicely.

A: Pine and citrus hops are balanced very well with the crystal malts. Lemon, orange peel, and some pine cones are prevalent.

T: Very nice. This is a hop forward beer that gets some balance from the malt. Again, I get the citrus with some pine, and some sweetness from the malt. Beer finishes very bitter, which is nice for the style.

M; Light to medium body, good amount of carbonation gives it a little tingle.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is high due to the fact that this is one of my favorite styles and the ABV is on the low side. Sessionable. I really like this beer so I could have quite a few of these. I don't think it is on the level of Jai Alai from CCB or two hearted, but a very nice example of the style. Skal. (919 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Have been enjoying an awful lot of this beer on tap - I figured I'd pick up a sixer.

A - Poured into a goblet. Decent head, some nice lacing. Very clear gold.

S - Hoppy. Smells like soapy hop, too. Some really soapy hop. I swear, this glass is clean with no soap residue - that soapiness comes 100% from the hops.

T, F - Substantially the same as on tap. Perhaps I notice a little more grainy malt, but it's still really dry, and quite bitter, like sucking on a bar of Irish Spring. Lingering dry bitterness after it slides down your gullet. It's good, but...if you can't handle your hops, please give this one a pass. Medium body.

D - Hmmm, you know, I think I realize that I find this more drinkable after I've already had a couple other beers. At my favorite bar, this is my go-to beer, yet it seems less eminently drinkable here at home, in the bottle. (864 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass from 22 oz bottle.

Light orange/straw color with a 1 finger soapy/bubbly head. Plenty of sticky lacing.

Big aroma of piney & citrus flowery hops. Tangerine, lime, grapefruit, spruce. Yum.

Tastes like the aroma. Nice hop bitterness. Big pine flavors. Enough malt presence to even things out. Hops dominate though.

Medium bodied. Sticky. Oily. Lingering hop flavor.

Drinkabilty is good. Nice west coast style IPA. Others I enjoy more. But I'd gladly buy & have this again. (509 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Crystal clear amber with a half finger head that fades slowly leaving a thin film and some lacing.

S- Hops, some fruits, and just a hint of butter.

T- Follows the smell profile, but with a long dry hoppy finish.

M- Thin with some carbonation.

D- A decent IPA, but there are better examples out there. It's very balanced, but I think that I would grow weary of it after two or three pints. Still though, it's a good beer and worth a go if you haven't had it before. Cheers! (479 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

I've been a fan of Stone Brewing Co. for a few years and everything I've had from them has been excellent. So here goes with the IPA:

An excellent ale through and through. Also, every bottle is fairly consistent. Lacing is present all the way down the glass, but the only knock I would give is that the head is a little soapy and didn't have that great retention. Other than that, a solid ale from a solid San Diego brewery. (425 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a perfect orange-gold with only the faintest haze to it, almost no carbonation. Very little head with no retention, and some sticky lacing. Nose opens up with grapefruit and pineapple. Settles into west coast style aroma hoppiness...Flavor is burting out of the gate. Very full and rich for an IPA. Some alcohol in there, and it carries throughout the flavor, but isn't too much. Hops are huge here, and overpower almost all else. Some hints of candied apple, and maybe some vanilla but it's masked amidst the wash of hops. Finish is long and bitter in a good way. Priced well usually, so this is great everyday beer. However, it's the epitome of a West Coast IPA and not super unique at this point. (705 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber with an enjoy by date of 01.22.12. Should have looked at that more closely when I bought it. Anyways, pours a hazy orange-gold with about 3 fingers of white head that simmers to about one. Great lacing on the glass.

Smell -- one of the best IPA aromas I have had the pleasure of inhaling. Deliciously citrus--grapefruit--in character with some pine. Also hints of pineapple juice.

Taste -- not quite as bitter/pungent as expected/hoped for. And that may be because of drinking this about a month after the recommended date on the bottle. I really thought this stuff moved off the shelf pretty quickly, so I didn't even bother to check. Or it could be that I was expecting something with more IBUs, like an imperial IPA. Back to the beer--has a good malty/biscuit backbone that the hops are just able to punch through. Still has some pungent citrus flavors--grapefruit/pineapple/tangerine--and finishes slightly dry with some crisp bitterness.

Mouthfeel is crisp with some oily slickness from the hop oils. The body is slightly thin. Somewhat lacks the pucker factor I was looking for. Overall, this one is still good, despite a little age on it, but I will have to seek out another one that is fresher and adjust my review accordingly if warranted. Compared with other American IPAs, it definitely holds its own. (1,327 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Clear copper to gold brew, a gigantic head and a good amount of broad lacing. The body of the brew is still, there are no bubbles of carbonation moving through it . . . interesting.

S - Hops. Predominantly a blend of fragrant pine and spicy white pepper with some citrus pith and faint earth. There is even a hint of cracked grain.

T - There are some bitter hops kicking in the foretaste even, although there is still a good amount of peppery hops and a touch of a light caramel malt. The bitter hops (still peppery) dominate the aftertaste with a hint of some honey and biscuits.

M - Pretty smooth, thin, a little refreshing, could easily be better (especially considering I was in one of those "I could REALLY use a beer" moods when I poured this).

D - Pretty good. Easy to drink and pleasant. I'll have again, likely. Stone is really up and down for me - but this one actually struck toward the middle. (914 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

wow, Stone Brewing, you go !!!. Great color and head with nice lacing. Hops is awesome and flavor is awesome with hops, and citrus and finidhing with more hops and some citrusy-grapefruit finishing. Great balanced brew and one of the top 20 IPAs I have had. Probably top 10. The balance, as I stated before is incredible with the perfect amount of grapefruit and hops, its hard to believe !!! (392 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter for my first-ever taste.

A: Light pour yields a bright amber-orange body with little head. The ale is very hazy.

S: Floral, citrusy hops, with a slight nuttiness. Caressess the the nostrils, but is very mild.

T: Mouth coating bitterness, but again, very mild. Nutty flavor is increased, along with great hop flavor. I actually expected more hop power though.

M: Good, tingling carbonation. Slightly thicker than it appears.

D: This competes with Hop Devil for my new favorite IPA. I thought it would have more potency than it does, but I'm actually glad that it doesn't. This makes it highly quaffable. (653 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer is bright golden, more towards a lager than most IPAs. There was no significant head. There was a spice (pepper?) and hop smell to the beer; green and sweet at the same time. Tastes of pine and hops on first taste, somehow balanced with a sweet base. The beer is smooth and full bodied in mouth, with a smooth finish. Surprisingly, there are sour notes to the aftertaste and finish. Fairly easy to drink, but the sour tones make it hard to drink multiples in one sitting. (516 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.