Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,853 | Hads: 10,087
4.92/5  rDev +16%

The Stone IPA is simply an excellent embodiment of this beer style. The IPA is my favorite style and Stone perfectly nails it. You usually need to go to a brewpub to get an IPA of this quality. It has all the elements essential to an IPA.
A good beer is much like a good woman; simple, clean, hard-working, and affordable--that is the Stone IPA.

Simply sublime!!! (366 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

A - Pours a fresh golden color, with a lacy head and nice retention on the glass.

S - Smells of citrus and pine.

T - floral sweetness that gets outshined by bold and delicious hop bitter.

M - Crisp, light/med body, clean, good amount of carbonation.

D - An allround great IPA, ill definitely have another. (310 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

After the Stone Ruination I thought things could not get any better. How Wrong could I be? the Stone IPA is even better than the Ruination!. The trademark 22 fl.oz bottle contains yet another masterful brew, with more charisma than the Annual convention of Conceited Egocentrics.
It poured with a reasonable head, which quickly rescinded to a modest ¼” covering. Little carbonation once things calmed down, with the head later breaking up to reveal just a “halo-head” clinging to the edges.
A Golden Amber Color that had a feint orangey glow at times. The aroma is totally inescapable unless you have no nose, or burnt out your septum doing Coke. According to the “blurb” on the bottle, this is because of 2 weeks of dry-hopping. It works and gives a very pungent fresh hop nose, extremely floral in character, just like walking through a Kent Hop field after it has rained (yes I have done this!). The hops continue into the taste. A stunning hoppy, citric bitterness introduces the beer. This is SO fresh, I expected to find hop cones inside the bottle. There is malt hidden in the background that defers to the higher authority of the hops, and a very mild sweetness does help to balance the beer at the end. You would not believe this beer is 6.9% ABV, there is little or no alcohol character to this beer at all – it is all about Hops. Just as it should be. The “normal” Stone IPA, as I now see I incorrectly referred to it before I tried it tonight, has a much better overall balance than the Ruination.
It’s Drinkability? Well, it is simply only limited by that of your own Capacity!!. This is THE sign of a truly Great Beer in my very humble opinion, and one which I rarely encounter. Simply an Exceptional IPA, which has the ‘edge’ on its more famous stablemate Ruination I think.
I am beginning to have the utmost respect & highest regard for Stone. I have limited experience of US Brewers, but if there are better ones out there– I can’t wait to try them! (1,984 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

This is by far the best IPA I've ever had. Completely amazing. Read on to experience my experience... However, I highly recommend you get your own bottle so that you can appreciate one of the best beers in the world for yourself.

Light orange amber body with a thick and rich creamy looking head. Nose is all hops and very enticing along with a sweet citrus aroma. Taste complements the nose perfectly. The hop flavor is the best I ever tasted. Big piney oily hop taste along with a sweet grapefruit flavor. Very light malt taste hiding in the background. Ends with a smooth bitterness and a very subtle bready/biscuit aftertaste that makes you really want another sip. This beer is not harsh at all. Just easy drinking all the way. Oh this baby is good! I can drink these all night long. If you're not a big IPA fan I would give this beer a try. It might very well convert you. (879 characters)

Holy Hoppiness, Batman...
This is one Hoppy Beer!

I gave this a bunch of 5's because I think Stone has nailed it.

It pours a brassy/amber color with a thick rich white head that left a sheet of lacing.

It smells like delicious citrusy hops!

Upfront taste is strong citrus hops with a hint of malt to balance it out smoothly.

Medium bodied beer with a smooth mouthfeel.

I love drinking this beer, exeptional drinkability. (427 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. It is a light golden color with a one finger thick white head with excellent lacing to the end of the glass.

The smell just knocked me out. It just makes my mouth water. The floral hops smell was incredible.

The taste followed the smell. It was hops from start to finish with a hint of pine in there somewhere.

The mouthfeel was very good too. This beer is incredibly drinkable period, but insane for a 6.9% abv. I was only planning on having one, but couldn't stop.

This is a great beer. I think it is the best IPA that I have had. (592 characters)

*Review taken from notes*

A: A hazy golden color with nice head retention.

S: I'm getting a hoppy pine aroma with a hint of sweetness.

T: Delicious hoppy flavor with a great finish.

M: Medium body. Gentle.

O: This is the IPA that set the standard for me. This is the beer that all other IPAs are compared to. A terrific smooth tasting IPA. So much flavor here. An A+ beer; one of my favorites. (398 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Clear, light caramel, forming a rocky, pancake-bubbled white head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma is just wonderful with the most intense pine resin odor I've ever smelled in a beer...just wonderfully aromatic and full of sweetly fragrant, floral qualities. Pungent and skunky like marijuana. Carbonation is moderate. The mouthfeel is wet, smooth and spicy with a medium body, leaving the teeth sticky with hop astringency in the finish. I like what it's doing to my mouth with the hop astringency. The taste begins with intense pine resin bite with a nice astringency and pungency, followed by a moderate pine resin bitterness lightly offset by malts kinda hanging out in the background. The finish is all about freshly crushed pine needles with a faint suggestion of thyme or sage. No off-flavors, imperceptable alcohol.

The definitive version of a West-Coast IPA...this is an awesomely pungent beast, yet balanced by beautiful malts, and is supremely tasty. It took me a while to get used to Stone stuff, but this is just one hell of a beer, and one of the top 5 IPA's I've ever had.Stupendous! (1,115 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Decanting this bomber reveals a pale golden colored brew with a thriving frothy white head. Some patchy lacing is left as this ale is greedily consumed. Aroma is nice and strong. Probably the best nose to any IPA I've ever experienced. The prerequisite hops are present to a large degree - citrous and pine notes are tantalizing, dancing with an herbal quality. What sets this aroma apart is a sweet, estery, floral aroma - quite wonderful really. There is also some caramel and pale malt smell present. Do they sell air fresheners like this?? The taste does not disappoint that which the smell put forth. The lovely product of dry hopping is immediately evident. Lots of clean citrous, grapefruit, and some pine nip at the tongue. Assertive hops? Yes sir. However there is a wonderful balance by smooth malt and sweet caramel. True to the IPA style, the malt holds back and allows the beautiful hop character to shine. A little spice and herbal notes dance around as well. Although the malts take the back seat, they never leave entirely. The flavor is exceptional in the fact that it is all about the overall flavor - not just a kick-in-the-nuts blast of hops. The hops are diverse, and the malt character is expertly contrived. Finish is a great blend of dryly bitter hop oils and the faintest of sweet malt. A little alcohol warmth in the finish drives this brew home. Mouthfeel is smooth, but a little thin. Overall, this IPA is so good, its probably sinful. Who cares - not me. I'll have another (and another). (1,516 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Poured from brown 12oz bottle to pint glass. No dates.

A - The beer pours a nice amber color. Perfectly clear. A nice fluffy 2.5 finger white head with very good retention and lacing.

S - A great blend of pungent, spicy, herbal, fruity hops immediately on the pour! Very aromatic. Behind the hops is a hint of alcohol and toasted malt. Very good.

T - Very similar to the nose with a rush of hop presence on the palate. Piney, earthy, herbal tones immediately before expanding to a medium bitterness with herbal and fruity character. Very hop forward but a nice base toasted grain foundation.

M - Very smooth. Medium bodied and carbonated. Creamy almost.

O - Easily one of the best AIPA's out there. Great great beer. (721 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Pours a nice rich gold with not much head but good lacing. The smell is like being in a field of hops.

I took my first sip-- smooth as silk. Giant hop flavor, very mellow, and great balance. Not too bitter but tons of hops. Unnaturally easy to drink. Hands down my favorite IPA to date. If you don't like hops try a different brew. (333 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Golden color that has a nice froth and lace

Smell: HOPS, HOPS and more Hops. Very nice smell of hops with a slight fruity undertone.

Taste: A great amount of hops at first taste. Incredible character of hops but very smooth at the same time. A bit of a bitter finish from all the hops but it is just perfect.

One of the best IPAs you can buy. Highly recommend. (378 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

To me this beer is the benchmark for any good IPA. When I drink an IPA I always compare it to Stone because it is my favorite beer to drink. It's the beer that I always seem to come back to and always enjoy. It has a good ABV, but it is hidden well. The smell is fantastic and you can really smell the hops. The taste is very in your face like any IPA, but in a good way. The taste is very hoppy and with a hint of pine. This is a great beer and a staple for any craft beer drinker. (482 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Opened the bottle cap with the back of the blade on a machete like usual. haha seriously

A- looked golden with soo many bubbles. quite clear

S- like walking through a forrest of pine. Lots of pine and some citrus especially grapefruit. Hops are amazing

T- Grapefruit is most prominent. with pine and floral notes. The bitterness takes away alot of the taste at the end.

M- crisp and bitter.

D- easy, one of my favorite IPA's (430 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

i'm not gonna glorify this any more than i have to. the best IPA i've ever had.
'06 vintage.

A- 1 1/2in off white creamy chunky build-able foam has great retention settling to 1/4in disc leaving lots of sticky lace in waves and tabby cat spots and stripes over the hazy vibrant orange apricot colored elixir.

S- bready and sweet with spicy fruity citrus and tropical notes, starfruit, guava, mango, melon, and banana come to mind. the best part is the milky toffee cream marshmallow in the thick dense aroma. it's unlike anything i've ever imagined.

T- bittersweet citrus, grapefruit herbal pine, orange cream with a tropical tart cranberry splash, grains, cashew, aromatic wood, lightly toasted malt, earthy meaty spiced pork, pine sap, and a warm creamy fruity buttery bakery fresh yum. this is way too complex, i believe it exceeds that arrogant bastard. herbal lemon pineapple resinous hop aftertaste lingers for a while before transforming into a smooth cured tobacco dryness that doesn't go away. perfectly blended and full of character.

MF- soft and creamy and silky smooth, medium carbonation, like a beautiful goddess is making love to my face.

D- the only things that would stop me from drinking this exclusively are:
1) availability
2) i still wanna try everything possible
3) i wouldn't wanna "get used to" the subtleties and amazing nuances this shit has got goin on let's have a round of applause for STONE (again) everybody.

EDIT: i dug another one out of my secret stash, this one has the date 21.1.05 debossed into the bottle so that makes it 3 years old! math! head was less vigorous, made about 1/2in settles fast but left alot of lace. where's it come from? same marshmallow milky toffee fruity hop aroma, but in the taste hops are more subdued, but much more developed and complex. as are the malts but the hops are the star from start to the long dry finish. cocoa butter sandalwood tropical fruit and alcohol! i really hop i can find some more of this shit. (1,989 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Stone's IPA is the darling of hopheads far and wide. It's so adored I feel like I'm venturing into the lions den with this one. So here's my confession: I've tried it multiple times on draft at the beer wonderland Redbones in Davis Sq, Somerville and it totally failed to impress every single time, to the point where I'd had sworn off trying it anymore. Until now. I threw a 12oz into my 6-mix in a last ditch effort to find something endearing.

The pour was thick and with a solid head of foam. I can't even begin to describe the aroma. Well here goes: Fantastic! Deep green hops! Velvety sweet, soft and wonderful! If the beer stopped here I'd be happy. It smelled freaking awesome!

Ok, so I was damn impressed from the beginning. But the next hurdle was the taste. First sip was an assault of nasal filling hoppiness that zig-zagged all over my palette. Very hop oil heavy, some serious pine sap, grapefruit, minor citrus and it got greasy and a little leafy. Thankfully there was a solid amount of sweetness to back it up but it definitely didn't eclipse the hops.

Another attribute that really made this ale such a success was the thick, creamy mouthfeel while the carbonation kept it feeling a little frothy.

The aftertaste was full of little pinpricks of piney bitterness on the palette, like little electrical charges "fzzzting" and crackling. The oil left a really nice coating on the tongue. Visually, a heavy lacing clung to the glass the whole way down.

After I was done with this glass I was absolutely craving another one. I'll have to stick to bottles for this puppy from now on because this was one helluva great ale.

Speaking of bottles, they have very unique labels, or lack thereof. I looked into it since it's obvious they don't glue paper labels onto their bottles. Instead they use a process called Applied Ceramic Labeling which consists of silk screening their logo onto the bottle and then firing it at @ 1150 degrees so the color actually becomes part of the bottle. Über nifty!

politicsandbeer.com (2,033 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

I had tried this brew in a 22 oz. bottle a while back, and recently bought a six pack to try at home. It was a little late at night when I got home from work, went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle-opened it and took a swig. I suddenly thought to myself "what am I doing?" I grabbed a pint glass and slowly poured this delicate libation in. I brought the glass to my nose and took in the aromas. "This must be what Bavaria smells like", I thought aloud. This beer has a golden hue and a nose of FRESH hops to it. I was once again, amazed by Stone, it smelled so fresh! The mouthfeel is heavy and the taste is quite strong, starting off hoppy and light like most IPA's but finishing with a little bit more bitterness than I was expecting. Which was a good thing. A perfect brew for anytime of year. (795 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

pours a honey golden color with a large white head and lots of sticky lace nice aromas of piney hops and fruit and spices. taste is fruity and sweet with hops from begining to finish. medium body good carbonation smooth and well balanced. great tasting beer will be looking for more. (283 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

The quintessential American IPA. Poured with a nice, large, off white, foamy, frothy, head that lasts a long time and lots of lace. Color is a clear amber with some bubble trails. Aroma is hop, malt, citrus, pine, fresh baked bread, grass. Flavor is huge hop/malt bittersweet thing with perfect carbonic tang. Body and carbonation are perfect. Finish has just the right length and is like flavor. This is beer baby. (415 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Stone ipa is a house hold name. It is simply great, I've had exclusive brews, seasonal brews, and this india ale is simply one of the best they have to offer. It tastes a lot better than their other brews. It is perfected with the right amount of hops and is a bit harsh for the normal drinker. Though this specific brew is a lot lighter than its brothers. It is not to be taking lightly this is a strong beer flavorful with dark citrus and coffee residue. It is a must try by anyone and a regular basis drink in the household. (527 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into a 16 Oz. dimpled mug.
Where do I start?!
From the immense delicious head and traditional strawberry blonde haze that typifies a classic IPA to the intense spicy hoppyness, this is one incredible American-style IPA. Probably the best one I've tried yet.
The lacing is worth a note. It covers the whole glass, right to the bottom.
One point I need to make about this Beer, is that it isn't Hopped to the point where the Malty character doesn't come through. It's there, sure enough and perfectly balances the brew.
Although the ABV is fairly low, a few of these at the bar would still warrant a designated driver. It hits the brain like liquid Marijuana! Be advised and drink (ir)responsibly. (and I'm no light-weight.)
This is a classic that nobody should go through a lifetime without trying.
Essential!

---Edit---
Every time I do an IPA tasting, this one still comes out on top.
If there was a higher rating than an A+ I would give it to this Beer. The bottled version is astounding. On tap, it's enough to provoke spontaneous combustion. (1,066 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Yet another outstanding brew from Stone. The color is great, the smell is hoppy without being overbearing, and this is one of the best IPA's I have had to date. I could drink way too many of these, they go down smoothly and taste wonderful. The brewmaster at Stone never stops amazing me. (288 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

For what it's worth, Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are the two stalwarts of the American IPA / Pale Ale class. Stone is a very drinkable IPA that is great for both hopheads and casual beer drinkers alike. Even if you are not a big fan of "hopped up" beers, this is still a must try. (289 characters)

A
The appearance of this brew was a standout charaterstic. Copper in color, with an excellent pillowtop head, that reduced to a nice fluffy cap. Impressive lace remains throughout entire beer.
S
Dominant hop aroma on a solid caramel/malt foundation. Floral aromas and tastes are a standout feature to this brew. More floral than most any other IPA I have had to date. My wife is not a hophead and she even defined the aroma and taste as "very floral".
MF
Medium-high carbonation, medium-thin body, light finish.

I very much enjoyed this brew. Hop dominant with floral bitterness and very drinkable. I would pursue it again, and could be the most enjoyable Stone offering I have had to date. (692 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

I used to like crappy beers, or actually maybe I didn't even like them really... I just drank them. Until a friend got me trying some REAL beers and turned me onto Stone Brew. I've had their AB which is a treat, but recently decided to put Stone IPA on tap at my house because it's drinkability is better. This is a truely great beer. My most favorite part is the smell. After my first few glasses I can anticipate sniffing the hops and then getting a good taste of them afterward. If you want (with a tap anyway) you can make a nice head on the beer making quite attractive with a rich yellow/orange color. Has a nice smooth mouth feel as it slides down with a delicious hoppy flavor. Malt and alcohol are present but the hops mutes them. Definately has a bitter ending, which I've grown to like. It fades after half a glass, but can be quite aweful if you had anything sweet as it has a hint of grapefruit at the end. This is probably one of the first beers I take nice long draws from because it actually is that enjoyable. As a word of advice, I see this beer being hated by the average macrobrew beer drinker. (1,114 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.