Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,971 | Reviews: 2,947
2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

My Father once told me to never try an IPA because I wouldn't like it. He told me that it was very dry and incredibly nasty. After trying this beer I have decided to ignore the fact that my father ever told me such a thing. This beer is good as has turned me on to IPAs in general.

The beer pours to be a golden/amber color. The head of this beer wasn't big enough to create a problem when it comes to drinking the beer, yet it was also big enough to actually call it a head. In my opinion it seems to be just the right. The head retention isn't too bad, it dissapates quite a bit after one starts drinking it. The carbonation is visible in the beer and makes this beer look quite active.

This beer has a great smell. Infact it reminds me of citrus fruits.
This IPA also tastes great. Although I smelled some kind of citrus I could taste none in the beer. The beer is dry and has a bitter after taste that just makes me want to keep drinking this beer. Although the beer may be bitter it feels great on the palate, the carbonation which makes this beer look so alive can easily be felt on the palate. It goes down fairly smooth and has a heavier feel on the palate than normal pale ales do.

Overall this beer is fantastic. I could drink this stuff all day. I will definitely be checking out some more IPA's in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a somewhat light orange-gold with a fantastic rocky head that keeps on giving.

Smell is all nice fresh hops, largely citric. The taste is, as boasted, a hop assault, and it does the whole range from grassy to citric to resiny to fruity and sweet-tart sour candy. There's a bit of mineral undercurrent leading to a grainy, rather bitter finish, and the alcohol shows itself as well. Hop bitterness lingers afterwards.

This is good stuff, I definitely don't mean to knock it--but it is kind of one-dimensional. If you need a hop fix (and sometimes I do), this is a good place to go, and it's definitely quality, but I don't think it's really a go-to beer for me.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Mostly clear gold/amber pour. Very little head, (poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice).

Nice hop nose that let's you know you are in for a treat. Aggressive, but not unwelcome.

Hop fiesta flavor! Nice grapefruity burst, sharp piney flavor also present. Definitely for hop lovers. I can't remember when I have had a better IPA. Probably never.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel. It begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability is tops! 7% ABV and it goes down insanely easy. I could drink these almost exclusively with no complaints. Certainly will be one of my new session favorites, when I can afford it ($37 a case, $10 a sixer around here).

My love affair with Stone beer continues, too bad they are located all the way across the country. Luckily most of their line is available here in MA.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Mmmmm....probably the best IPA I've ever run across. Everything about it makes me tingle. My girlfriend is laughing at me right now as I make full, sensual love to this beer with every one of my senses. The bottle is gorgeous. Standard brown bottle with a wonderful screen painted label. These men delight in their craft. So do I.

It pops with a little his, letting me know there's a little carbonation waiting for me. That little tease. Sweat drips down the bottle. I can hear it calling for me without it saying a word.

She tips over. She has a full body. Golden like sunflowers with a hint of dark mystery about her. She stands there waiting for me. A beautiful head on top a slick body. She's wearing nothing but a little lace around her stem. Shhh...you're making my girlfriend jealous.

She smells like everything I ever could have wanted. Strong citrus with a little floral scent on the way out. She smells sweet as an orange. I can't take the anticipation any longer. I seize her and bring her close to me. I take a little gasp before diving in.

She's a little bubbly. She tickles me ever so slightly. But over all...she smooth, real smooth. A buxom beauty to the end. She's got a great, full body that I can't get enough of. Sweet, hoppy. Thick and spicy. She's a party till the end. I can't take my lips off her.

We are talking about a beer here. So I don't feel dirty closing this with "down she goes."

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Look at my review of Ruination I am reminded of how hoppy these Stone brews can be. I find this IPA to beer even hoppier than the Ruination. I know the character make up is different, but this is borderline absurd. I have been dabbling in East Coast IPA's which tend to have more pop than hop; so at this point I am kinda blown away.in an indifferent way.

APP. Doesn’t quite match the wonderful fall New England evening I'm experiencing. No standout colors, looks very much like a straight up pale ale. Keeps its head character throughout consumption.

SMELL. Fruity and sweet. Can you really smell hops? If you are not supposed to, this one you can.

TASTE. HOPS. HOPPY. LOADED WITH HOPS.

M&D I like a hoppy beer, but this one is a bit ridiculous. High marks for what it offers, but I prefer, more defined characteristics in my IPA's.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

This has to be the tastiest IPA I've ever had, and the most balanced. Floral hops hit you as soon as you pop the top off the bottle. The taste is resiny, and floral with a solid malt backing. This beer is too easy to drink at nearly 7% abv. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these at one sitting. Definitely recommended.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Stone IPA is the first brew to make me realize what I was missing. The complexity of flavor throughout really ballance a very strong hop profile. It enhances the hops and brings out all the various flavors. I never realized a beer could taste this way.

A little pricey, but worth every penny. A sure fire bet to be the tipping point for any drinker starting to indulge in micros. I'll still drink Titan IPA more often because I need to support the Colorado brewers. This is a hophead must.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This guy pours beautifully with a fluffy white head of medium build that slides down the side of the glass, leaving little behind. Lovely amber color. The bubbles are there to be seen but not blatant.

When you first smell this guy it is a kick you in the nose punk that tries to bully you away. But when you dare come back, you notice the hops and the citrus in there. Both distinct and both inviting and neither like your typical beer. Very unique and it gets you fired up for that first sip.

I've never tasted hops quite this good. Obvious, blatant and by no means overdone. These are quality hops that taste slightly bitter but more smooth and full of character. There is just enough sweetness to offset the hops and this makes the IPA one of the best I've ever had. I want another. Unreal.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

I'm reviewing this for my own beer profile more-so than for others to get any new insights as to what I think. I mean, how could I add any more raves to this spectacular beer?

In my book, this de-thrones Bridgeport IPA as one of my all-time favorites. It's a close match, but I have to give the edge to this beer. Stone comes as close as possible to the edge of being too hoppy without crossing that line. If a good IPA should be considered "balanced", then this is perfection. From the floral aroma to the citrusy hop bite and bitter finish, this is the best IPA, and the freshest I might add, I've experienced. Fantastic.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

It's about time I review this IPA, and it's a good thing too since there are only 478 reviews to date. The color is clear copper with a two-finger white head. Aromas are floral and sweet with notes of pines and grapefruit. The taste is hoppy, although this stuff tastes pretty subtle compared to Stone's monstrous line-up, with citrus and sweet malts. Not a huge beer, but a superb everyday treat.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden amber color with a nice head, some carbonation, but not much lacing at all. Very hoppy with some sweet, citrusy scents. The taste is sweet and hoppy with a little bite at the end. Light to medium body. This ale is very drinkable. Glad to have found it.

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear golden amber color with a foamy white head. The head sticks around lacing the glass. The smell is sweet and strong with well.... hops and citrus. The taste is of.... hops and finishes with a grapefruit citrus. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Drinkable.... yes.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a deep, clear gold/amber color. Quickly dissipating white head.

Aroma is pretty much all hops. Piny, citrusy, and maybe a bit of an almost minty aroma.

Flavor is mostly hops, too. But still fairly well balanced with malt. Finishes with a lingering bitterness with an almost juniper-like flavor.

Not bad.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: A nice light tan ale with decent head and very slight lacing.

Smell: My nose is stuffed, but there is no mistaking the hops in this. An IPA to say the least.

Taste: Again, hops, lots of them. If you like hops (I do) this a beer for you. The 6.9% ABV is also obvious, but blends in with the hops very, very well.

Mouthfeel: As soon as it hits the tongue the carbonation explodes again. While some don't like this, I sure do, a coin flip I suppose.

Drinkability: This is one that deserves to be had often, but sometimes price, and most times availibilty here don't allow.

Stone really can't do wrong. I have a special bone in my body for IPA, and this tickles that itch. It's just a good beer, flat out. I wish I could drink this more often, but I don't see it as often as I'd like in the stores. Keep em' coming stone, I know we'll be waiting.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Without doubt one of my favorite beers ever. Just hoppy enough to give it some bite, balanced by sufficient malt to give it the sweetness it needs to balance the bitterness of the hops. Smooth, creamy, hoppy, piney, citrusy, resinous, all perfectly balanced. Stone doesn't seem to make a bad beer. Not the overwhelming hops of Ruination, not too much malt to make it too sweet. Simply perfect. If you have any friends who insist Bud Light is good beer, given them a glass of this and watch the reaction.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Perfect pour. Light amber brown with the nicest white head of suds. Smells of sweet piney hops and a touch of mint. Oh my, this looks good.

This is a hoppy IPA without a substantial amount of malt body. The taste is dominated by a medicinal citrus injection. For the hop-fanatic in me this is a wonderland of bubbly bitterness that tickles the tastebuds long after I take a sip. For the IPA-lover in me it is too linear, and its focus on over-the-top hops denies the complexity of a malty base. Definately worth picking up again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This brew pours a nice strawberry orange, with a one finger marshmallow head which fades fairly quickly into a ring and island. The smell is citrus apple and a bit of pine. Taste is slightly sweet, big and hoppy as hell. Light ready malts with grapefruit and piney hops. Aftertaste is strong and hearty. Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and full. Great session beer and may I just say the burps are exquisite. A classic that'll never die. Everything about this beer is big.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Golden color with a creamy head and nice lacing. Aroma was filled with citrusy hops, orange rind, and some grapefruit. Very hoppy, bitter, nice sweet finish. Very balanced, very good IPA, my favorite! I thought I had rated this too high, but upon revisiting, its really a top notch IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber picked up at Dyess AFB, Texas.

I've been looking forward to trying this for a while. Pours a nice golden colore with a one finger head that quickly fades to a thim layer, and pretty good lacing.

Has a great floral, hoppy, pine and citrus smell, that really makes me look forward to drinking it. I love the smell of a good IPA.

Taste is of grapefruit, hops, pine and malt. I was expecting a bigger hop bite to this beer, but this is a well balanced beer with great drinkability. I finished my first glass before I realized it.

I hope that I can find some more Stone Brewing beers.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

I had tried this brew in a 22 oz. bottle a while back, and recently bought a six pack to try at home. It was a little late at night when I got home from work, went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle-opened it and took a swig. I suddenly thought to myself "what am I doing?" I grabbed a pint glass and slowly poured this delicate libation in. I brought the glass to my nose and took in the aromas. "This must be what Bavaria smells like", I thought aloud. This beer has a golden hue and a nose of FRESH hops to it. I was once again, amazed by Stone, it smelled so fresh! The mouthfeel is heavy and the taste is quite strong, starting off hoppy and light like most IPA's but finishing with a little bit more bitterness than I was expecting. Which was a good thing. A perfect brew for anytime of year.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

Clear golden orange in color, a puffy white head receding into a super-sticky lacing. The smell is a wonderful thing: fragrant hops...hops ALL over the place, with a very subtle hint of alcohol and grain. Taste is also quite deliciously hoppy. Piney, herbal, with malt subtleties coming through near the end, a lingering bitterness prevailing. Mouthfeel is big and full with a mild tingly carbonation and dry finish.

This is a BIG IPA on all levels, not particularly overwhelming, just extreme in aroma and taste (which is certainly not a bad thing). This is what an IPA should be. Damn tasty...one should always have a few of these on hand.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Nicely hopped, just as you'd expect from a West Coast IPA. The hops have a kick and are perfectly chosen, tasting good from the first sip through the end of the great aftertaste. I didn't experience any hops fatigue, which sometimes happens as a hoppy character comes to overwhelm other flavors in the beer as you drink it more and more. This one kept on tasting like it did on the first sip. A knockout IPA.

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%

Nothing special to look at. But upon my first sip, I proclaimed this the smoothest-tasting IPA in the universe. Layers-upon-layers of citrusy hops, with none of the lingering bitterness of some of my other favorite IPA's. Oh, this is a good one. The good folks at Stone Brewing never disappoint me...

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

This one pours a nice wholesome amber, with an awesome frothy, creamy head, at least an inch. Real sticky lacing. The aroma is great. It is very discernable and has loads of ultra smooth hoppiness. Smells of leaves, floral, spice, with some pine and a hint of biscuit. This beer smells like how I'd expect a beer orchard to smell; Delicious. As for flavor, this one has a variety. There is a stronger spicey hop taste then there is in the smell, followed by piney, leafy/floral sensations and then a bitterness thoughout the finish. At the end of the taste it almost turns dry, but instead smooths out. This beer is incredibly smooth, and slighty syrupy. The large hop spectrum smooths together real nice.

I could 'temporarily' substitute this beer for oxygen...one of the best IPAs that I've had. Mmmm.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.