Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,849 | Hads: 10,075
4.51/5  rDev +6.4%

02/03/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber poured into my Duvel glass. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Beautiful lightly clouded golden orange color. Thick nitted bubbles which formed a nice 3/4 inch head. Above average lacing with a small ufo circle in the middle. Can't ask for much more than that.

Smell- A pretty subdued scent. You can tell there is pine and grapefruit from the hops and a bit of candied sweetness. Had to really stick my nose in though. It doesn't just jump right out at you.

Taste- Like the scent it is a subdued hoppy beer. But as you drink more of it and let it warm the true flavors come out. Not an overpowering IPA, but just about right if you want a great mix of hops and malt. One of the best balanced IPA's I have had. Good amounts of grapefruit and other citrus flavors floating around.

Mouthfeel- Perfect medium IPA-type carbonation. Super easy consumption.

Drinkability- Very...in one word. I can now see why this is tons of peoples choice for their favorite session beer. It's right in the middle of the hop range. Not super in your face (which can be good) and not on the watery thin side (which is almost always bad). If there was just a tad bit more hops (maybe another 10-15 IBU's) I would live off this beer. But, even the way it is brings great pleasure to my taste buds. Great brew as I expected from Stone. Haven't been dissapointed yet. (1,447 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Slightly hazy deep golden body topped with and impressive white head. Citrus and pine aromas. Bread and grapefruit with a honeylike sweetness melded with solid bitterness. Full body with enough carbonation to lift the bitterness to the roof of my mouth.

Stone IPA is the modest little brother of Arrogant Bastard. It doesn't get the attention of its sibling. If it came from another brewery, this beer would be more garner more attention. As it is, it's a damn fine beer that just needs a little love. (504 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Translucent strawberry blonde, with a white cloud of of head that quickly gave way to clingly ring of lace, but with only a swirl the head came right back to life, giving away that incredible hoppy aroma. Pine trees, citrus, grassy, this thing has the whole nine yards. The first sip goes down dry and lip-smackingly bitter, but somehow the malt fights it's way through and holds on to the back of your palate after the first coat of hops saturates your tastebuds into submission. Maybe my sample was getting a little old (6-8 months I'd say), but I kinda tasted a little vanilla in the aftertaste, something I didn't notice when I had the first 2-3 from my 6 pack. Alcohol also makes it's presence known after about the half pint mark. For some people balance in a Beer is important, and I sort of fall into that catergory, but sometimes in life you find balance in inequality, order in chaos, yada-yada-yada. This Beer is the gold standard of American IPAs, and my personal favorite from Stone, regardless of the Bastards and the Ruinations and whatever. This one I could drink every day, I've enjoyed it this summer in the balmy heat of Florida and last night in the great Canadian winter. I'm a very seasonal drinker and rare are the brews that I crave year-round, but this one is on the list. (1,297 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

When I drink any Stone beer, I have to put on Pantera (RIP Dimebag) as loud as I possibly could. For every beer that they make, Pantera has the perect song to go with it. For the IPA, it's F#*&ing Hostile. Why? because this beer really is hostile. A hoppy masterpiece. When you want a smooth, well-balanced beer, it would be in your best intrest to keep the hell away from this one. If you are looking for an over the top aggressive hop monster, you've looked in the right place. I love it. Pours a hazy orange colour with a thick white head. The aroma is grassy and very strong. The taste is as bitter as could be and is just full of grassy and citric tastes. I want more. Turn up the music! (692 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orange with an orange-tinted finger of head.
The smell is straight-up hops, lots of floral hoppiness; you can already almost taste the hop bitterness with your first sniff. On further review, some fruity esters come through.
The taste is about what you'd expect from a beer touting its hoppiness on the label: lotsa hops. Grassy hops are there all over your mouth; it's like having a hop bottle rocket explode on your tongue.
Creamy mouthfeel with some hoppy oiliness in there for good measure; surprisingly smooth drinking for such an unbalanced brew. Finish is an extremely pleasant bread flavor that leaves me wanting another drink

Overall: Not my favorite IPA, and not one that my tongue could handle drinking every night, but a damn fine beer that I'll enjoy whenever I can get my hands on it. For those of us who like our hops, you can't beat it. (869 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Bought as part of a mixed six pack at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, AZ.

Pours with a dark amber body, and a thin tan head that lingers. Very floral, almost menthol-y hops aroma, but still nicely balanced. Taste is definitely an IPA, with a very strong hops flavor up front, but unlike most IPAs this definitely has enough extra flavors (bit of malt, bit of yeast, bit of caramel) to really round it out. Nice body, very refreshing. Very dry, crisp finish. Very drinkable, probably one of the best IPAs I've had. Between this and Arrogant Bastard, I think I'll have to get some more Stone brews when the opportunity presents itself. (634 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Two words: big and citrus. This one isn't the most complex IPA out there, but it should be held as the benchmark. Big citrusy flavor cascade down the tongue with a malt balance. A dollop of lacing floats on the beer and the sides. I took my dog for a walk around the block and when I got back the pleasant aftertaste was still there, like a tattoo. Is it the best IPA? Probably not. Really fucking good? Yes. (408 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%

660ml bomber

Pours with a thick amber body, syrupy in consistancy, nice tan head with good retention

Woah, the aroma off this is fantastic, piney, dry hoppy nose. Some hint of alcohol, all very well balanced

Taste, straight away you get the strong bittering hops although its reasonably tame and balanced with a thick syrupy malty body. Yeasty dry finish

A fantastic beer, really amazing aroma and well balanced body....just have to get myself a bottle of ruination next (482 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bomber

As soon as I hear the initial hiss from the bottlecap I'm enjoying more pleasant hop aroma than I thought could ever be possible. Wow. If I could give this beer a 6 for aroma, I would. It pours a pale, golden color - not as pale as a macro by any means or as filtered though. The taste of this beer matches the aroma with overwhelming citrusy, piney hop flavors. Stone must have thrown an absurd amount of northwest hops in this brew. There's an unusual amount of sweetness, but for an IPA, that's still not much sweetness. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 5 in taste is the bitterness. I wish this beer could be more bitter, but that's just because I'm an over-the-edge hophead. Perfectly drinkable as a session brew, but watch out! (758 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey colored body with a huge head that sticks around forever and leaves lacing all over the glass

Smell: Smells like a bag of cascade hops; grapefruit, piney and resinous

Taste: Taste is overwhelmed by the piney, bitter hop flavors but there is a surprising amount of malt sweetness that lingers throughout; quite a bit of alcoholic flavor as well

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, almost syrupy with a moderate amount of carbonation

Drinkability: Astoundingly drinkable! (500 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was my second ever dabble into IPA, so when I first reviewed it, I didn't quite know what to expect, but I knew I loved it. It is not too bitter, but just bitter enough to satisfy my palate.

This beer is so beautiful I could just not even drink it and still be satisfied with the appearance, head retention, and aroma on their own. The pour is a clear light golden color, actually somewhat light for an IPA. The head is absolutely perfect, producing several impossibly small white fragrant bubbles that stay at about a half inch.

It has a sort of citrusy grapefruit hops character in the smell. The aroma is all about the hops.

Taste is very similar, though the malt is able to shine it's way through. Nice sweet malt up front with a touch of caramel. Lots of hops to balance it out. A good mix between bittering hops and late-addition aroma hops. Very piney and citrusy, but not overly bitter. A good introductory IPA.

Quite light in body with a crisp carbonation. Quite lovely. Very easy to drink quantity. (1,030 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

This is by far the best IPA I've ever had. Completely amazing. Read on to experience my experience... However, I highly recommend you get your own bottle so that you can appreciate one of the best beers in the world for yourself.

Light orange amber body with a thick and rich creamy looking head. Nose is all hops and very enticing along with a sweet citrus aroma. Taste complements the nose perfectly. The hop flavor is the best I ever tasted. Big piney oily hop taste along with a sweet grapefruit flavor. Very light malt taste hiding in the background. Ends with a smooth bitterness and a very subtle bready/biscuit aftertaste that makes you really want another sip. This beer is not harsh at all. Just easy drinking all the way. Oh this baby is good! I can drink these all night long. If you're not a big IPA fan I would give this beer a try. It might very well convert you. (879 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a nice, clear light amber, pushing up one finger of head with some staying power, and releasing a big, resinous, piney hop bouquet.

Excellently "balanced" for a west coast IPA, with prominent pine and citrus hop aroma and flavor, but without punishing IBUs. Highly drinkable hop-juice, this is. And all backed by clean, solid malt. Goddamn. I do think this is my favorite IPA. It's emminently drinkable, delightfuly hoppy (and in a non-masochistic way). Kudos to Stone for some subtlety in this one. (508 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a very nice copper color, and has a nice white head that dissapated fairly quickly. Very good, strong hop aroma. You can definitely tell hops make up a big part of this brew, though there is also a very nice malty/citrusy smell balancing it out.

Taste is very hoppy, with a fairly strong up front bitterness flowing into very nice hop, malt, and slitely citrus flavors. Bitterness resides quickly and it has a good body and great mouthfeel, with great overall balance. (477 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

A beautiful frickin' beer no matter how you slice it, on tap this absolutely kills.

Above most any Stone beer I've experienced the maltiness is damned divine: doughy, gooey, in the forefront.

But the malt isn't what makes this beer so sublime: its the hops, man. Citrusy nose only hints at the spectacular overload you'll get on the first sip. Wicked hop burps like this was pulled out of the tanks yesterday.

Wow. I forgot how damned good this beer is. Blew SNCA out of the water in a side-by-side tasting. (518 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4%

On draught at Barley's Smokehouse. I think this beer suffers unfair comparisons to Stone's other, bigger beers like Ruination. When trying this one I made it a point to judge it against other IPAs, not against other Stone beers. As such this is a pretty good IPA. Pours a dark amber color with a thick off-white head and nice lacing. The aroma is mostly hoppy, and after struggling a little I could smell some citrus as well. Medium-bodied and very smooth-drinking, with hops and spice at the forefront. Malt and a bit of citrus are in there as well. All in all, while not packing the punch of some of my favorite IPAs, this is an easy to drink and well-made IPA. (663 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. green and white silk screened bottle.

Appearance: Golden orange color with a small white head that dissapates fairly quickly. It is definitely hazy, but probably just chill haze.

Smell: Hop aroma are extremely strong in this brew. Grapefruity, citrusy, piney, and a little pineapple. Also has this wonderful sweet malt aroma.

Taste: Chockful of hops. Upfront hop bitterness gently balances the intense hop flavor. Slight citrus and graininess in the finish. Bitterness subsides fairly quickly after the sip. Good body and excellent mouthfeel.

Notes: Lots of dry hopping, great hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness. 6.9% is not detectable in the taste, but you can definitely feel it. Great pale ale with good balance. (747 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Ok, this is a great IPA, pours a nice reddish color, with a 1 inch head that dissipates to a nice lace. The taste, and mouth feel are amazing. The taste has a very nice fruity hoppy flavor, followed by a nice bitterness. The mouthfeel is creamy, and as smooth as a silk, with just the right amount of carbonation. Awesome beer, woo hoo (335 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours out a hazy copper-orange color with an excellent off-white head that creates thick, lumpy bubbles. Makes a great impression right out of the bottle! The aroma is strong with both pine and grapefruit. Hops and malt take a backseat, but are still present underneath. The taste is as big as the bottle and Stone Brewery's reputation. The hops hit with a huge bang right from the first sip. Some faint hop sweetness works into the fold in the middle, then disappears as the lingering hops slam your senses to a bitter / sour finish that is quite dry. Mouthfeel is just about right: full bodied but carbonated just enough to dampen the blow of the hops. One area this offering scores just a little lower is the drinkability. It's just a bit too sour to drink much. One bottle is probably about all I could handle at any given time. However, all things considered, this is a truly great IPA that is worthy the Stone name. (921 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

A rather light orange hue, thin yet well retaining head; pine and hops, hops and hops on the nose, intimidating as is the bottle. Creamy, twangy hops blast the palate, malt is there; very very well balanced; smooth and sharp, what an IPA should be. Grapefruit and orange in the tastings as well; whatever the ABV, it’s sneaky; read and heed; this is one darn fine IPA, the standard which all should be judged. Simple and to the point! (435 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Clear, light caramel, forming a rocky, pancake-bubbled white head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma is just wonderful with the most intense pine resin odor I've ever smelled in a beer...just wonderfully aromatic and full of sweetly fragrant, floral qualities. Pungent and skunky like marijuana. Carbonation is moderate. The mouthfeel is wet, smooth and spicy with a medium body, leaving the teeth sticky with hop astringency in the finish. I like what it's doing to my mouth with the hop astringency. The taste begins with intense pine resin bite with a nice astringency and pungency, followed by a moderate pine resin bitterness lightly offset by malts kinda hanging out in the background. The finish is all about freshly crushed pine needles with a faint suggestion of thyme or sage. No off-flavors, imperceptable alcohol.

The definitive version of a West-Coast IPA...this is an awesomely pungent beast, yet balanced by beautiful malts, and is supremely tasty. It took me a while to get used to Stone stuff, but this is just one hell of a beer, and one of the top 5 IPA's I've ever had.Stupendous! (1,115 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Boy the just off white head won't quit.
thin copper color.
there's a glistening spruce forest in my mug from the smell of it.
Ooh, needles the palate with a hop portfolio. Fantastic mouthfeel. There's grapefruit rind, and juice. White peppercorns. A malt wash, like a water color of malt. As it warms the malt is still present as a color almost as much as a sweetness. Hops mellow to a vapor. Man this is great with salty hot dogs and hot banana peppers. (457 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

You can now get stone beer on tap in New York City.

I'm going to take a page out of California hip-hop, cuz I gotta do it. Don't believe the hype.

Suprisingly light for an IPA, this beer is medium bodied at best. The head quickly dissipated and did not leave a trace as it lingered down the glass. The aroma? It was present, but then again, I would like to drink BEER and not grapefruit juice. Too many cascade hops (which, by the way, are the most mass-produced and hybridized hops on the market) make a beer taste more like a cocktail.

The taste was pretty good. The folks at Stone Brewing Co. really know how to achieve a nice balance with their beers.

I wish the beer were a bit more full-bodied and less grapefruit juice. They may be personal preferences, but let's face it.... has not the latest hop craze been a bit cultish and gimmicky? (857 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Pours with a nice head which quickly fell away. The color was a golden straw - reminded me of my younger days helping my uncle pitch hay in the fall.

The smell was unbelievably good - strong floral and citrus, cloves and grapefruit... a slight earthy sour smell that I just couldn't place, but it didn't distract.

The taste didn't knock me over with hops - but I literally shivered with goose bumps at the fantastic flavor. This is a well balanced IPA - a decent combo of bitterness from the hops, and a mix of citrus and floral tastes. Orange peels, lemon zest, grapefruit and the perfect amount of hops. The malt base is enough to keep everything together.

Excellent IPA. (683 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Apearance: Golden-orange color. Modest, frothy white head.
Smell: Sour and bitter hop scents. Very fruity.
Taste: Creamy and light at first, followed by a barrage of bitter, fruity hops. This beer definitely has that 'Stone flavor' that I I still can't put my finger on. Salty finish that is typical of an IPA, but not over the top. Overall, a very well balanced IPA.
Mouthfeel: Creamier than I expected. Nice carbonation. This beer penetrates every crevace of the mouth.
Drinkabilty: I might stick with this one for a while. (529 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.