1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,432 | Reviews: 2,703 | Show All Ratings:
Boto

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer pours a darker golden color. White head, but not too much of it. There is a nice citrus-pine/hop nose. Hops are fairly evident in the taste, but not as up front as some of their other brews. I was expecting more hops than I could handle, but even though they are strong, the balance is excellent. It has a crisp finish. A fine quaff!

08-31-2003 18:30:25 | More by Boto
Nytemare

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a nice golden yellow with a hint of orange. A little hazy, but it seemed to clear up as it went along. Nice 1" head, white, that lasted quite a while. After it dissappated, all I had to do was swirl the glass slightly and it was back. Nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Hops hops and more hops. Overwhelmingly hoppy in the smell. Maybe some citrus and a mild malt profile, but thin compared to the hops.

Taste: Much more balanced than I expected from the smell. There is definately an overwhelming amount of hops, but a nice grassy malt flavor blends in nicely from behind. Smoother than I expected as well. Bitter, but that's what you'd expect. It's a beer that bites you back. The malt charactoristics really show in the aftertaste, but even there, you can taste the hops, and it lingers forever. I'm sitting here savoring the aftertaste and I finished it about 5 minutes ago. Yummy. Lots of flavor there, just hard to define.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Very crisp. Not too thin, but not overwhelmingly thick or oily. Nice and clean.

Drinkability: Started out rather nice, but by the end of the bottle, it was getting a little hard to continue. Not that it's bad, but the bitterness really is strong as it starts to warm up. I spent a good 45 minutes drinking this. Just sipping it and enjoying the silence of children in bed and the wife at the gem. Me and sportscenter and Stone I.P.A. Not bad.

Props to a Jeremy, a friend of mine, for meeting me at the lake with this, Arrogant Bastard, 1554 Black Ale, and Porch Swing (reviews pending). I can't get any of them in Oklahoma, so I have to rely on other methods. Also, he just gave them to me. Gotta love free beer. This one, bitter, full of hops, but balanced. Could definately drink again, and will, but it's not something I could drink tons of in one sitting. One is enough for one night. Overall, impressed, especially since this is my first Stone brew to try, looking forward to cracking open that Arrogant Bastard this weekend.

08-27-2003 03:18:55 | More by Nytemare
tar

Bahamas

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

I'd been looking forward to trying this beer for some time and was not disappointed. From the attractive painted bottle pours a nice semi-transparent light orange colored beer. A fairly thick (1 finger) foamy head tops off the beer and leaves some lacing on the glass throughout consumption. A fairly strong and pleasant aroma of hops is present and makes itself known during the pour. A very nice hoppy, fruity (citrus) taste, slightly milder than expected from the aroma, greets the mouth. Very smooth with a bit of an oily feel in the mouth. Overall this is a very good beer and certainly one I look forward to having again.

08-25-2003 15:41:53 | More by tar
hungryghost

District of Columbia

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this at a bbq so could not tell appearance through brown bottle.
Pleasant hoppiness, hint of pine in the aroma.
The flavor is crisp, hoppy fresh and the word bright comes to mind.
Not too sweet. A bright bitterness. This is a good thing. Overall a fantastic IPA. The full hop flavor is right on but does not deaden the tastebuds. Likely to wake your mouth right up. I would like to try this on tap.

08-21-2003 18:04:28 | More by hungryghost
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on tap at Redbones after I had a Summer IPA. Poured a cloudy tan-orange color with minimal head that left a perfect lace. Hoppy, citrus sweet smell that was very inviting. The first thing that I noticed about this beer was it's balance. Sweet, malt, hops and citrus were all perfectly blended. Each flavor came to the front when it needed to. Extremely drinkable as I could have had many more. A great beer from Stone.

08-16-2003 13:57:32 | More by CharlesRiver
ChappyCubsFan

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

A crisp hop bitterness with top notch malt gives this IPA an excellent finish. When I'm at the Stone tasting room, this is always the best staple brew going, although everything is excellent. This is the benchmark for a good, hoppy and robust California IPA.

08-13-2003 05:46:30 | More by ChappyCubsFan
Rumrunner

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pint glass

Pours a nice orange amber. Cloudy with a nice white head to start. Head disappears quickly. Pretty good lacing. It was hard to get the scents going. At first whiff it was very bland. The smell is hoppy and fruity with some pine and weak malts in the back ground.

Many flavors going on here. Very nicely done. A great hop bitterness. Fruit esters dominate this IPA. There is some bread and a slight malt interference for the background which give this IPA a nice smooth finish. Pine is also a heavy flavor and it gives this IPA a nice crispness.

The mouthfeel is very crisp and dry. This IPA goes down well with food, on a hot day or anytime you think it is drinking time. This IPA has great flavors and great drinkability. Very well done.

08-10-2003 07:22:35 | More by Rumrunner
blkknight02

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If you are a hophead this beer is for you - I'm not a hophead. With that out of the way:
The color was deep amber. Very clear and high level of carbonation. The off-white head persisted throughout the pint. The aroma was pine, pine, and more pine. It's gotta be the chinooks! The flavor is the same as the aroma - resiny pine. It left a bitter taste on my tongue that reminded me of the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons where he painted the dogs tongue with green paint. Way too bitter for me but then again most of Stones brews are. I', glad I only bought one.

08-07-2003 16:46:20 | More by blkknight02
DESTRO

Nevada

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

pours a wonderfull deep amber yellow with a nice little white head. smells like hops (duh) and more hops. piney and mouthwatering. and wow it tastes like hopes too. im still getting into the whole big ipa brews, but to me this has alot of "oomph" in the hop area. floral and piney with a dash of malt character. the mouthfeel is smooth and goes down nicely and makes for a delightful drinking experiance. this stuff is way good, but after a couple, its time for me to move on.

$2.99 a bomber.

08-04-2003 07:42:16 | More by DESTRO
Boilermaker88

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Re-reviewed from first review dated 07-28-03. Previous marks were 4.0/3.0/2.5/4.0/3.0 respectively.
Okay, I feel the conversion is now complete. I've just polished off one of what is now a staple in my fridge and feel this brew rates a re-review. Stone's IPA has a certain malty sweetness in the nose and also across the palate and this makes for a wonderfully citrus rind-drenched delight. Some pine flavor but now not as much as picked up initially - more hearty grapefruit peel with some floral notes. When all is said and done, the hops are laid down liberally on the tongue, slathering it, yet making the taste buds clamor for more. What can I say; I'm hooked.

07-28-03 review:
Appearance: from a 12oz brown bottle, this IPA poured a clear dark golden color. Nice creamy head and lots of streams of bubbles. Good lacing also.
Smell: citrus and pine woods aroma dominate. Strong indicator of things to come.
Taste: faint malt flavor immmediately overpowered by citrus and pine tastes. Totally unbalanced in favor of hops, the bitter taste builds through to the finish and leaves a strong piney bitterness on the tongue.
Feel: medium-bodied, smooth, dry feel.
Drinkability: I tried to be as objective as I could with this and it does have its merits. However, the over-the-top hopiness just doesn't work for me. I was still tasting it two hours later so I didn't need to drink another. I'm at a stage where I like a more balanced beer so I don't plan on getting this one again anytime soon. If you're into hops, though, this beer's for you.

07-28-2003 18:33:37 | More by Boilermaker88
jlervine

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. Honey colored, thick creamy white, effervescent bubbling. Smell? Wow. Sweet malt hidden beneath a comfortable thick blanket of hops. The taste is malty with a nice heavy hop finish. Mouthfeel is sweet but not cloying, and pleasantly hoppy without being bitter. Very drinkable, very enjoyable.

07-22-2003 01:03:00 | More by jlervine
mapman97

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I tried one of these this weekend after a long day out in the hot Texas sun fishing. Maybe I should wait until the next time I try one to give a review since any beer would taste good after several hours baking on a lake in Texas in July. Having said that I must say that from the fist sip to the last gulp this beer was wonderful.

The first sip was very hoppy, bitter but refreshing. After a couple more swallows I could detect some malty sweetness and the bitter had subsided to a wonderful warm feel.

The mouthfeel was nice with the tingles of carbonation and the tounge awakening hops. By the time I got to the last third of the bottle I had nothing but enjoyment from the carbonated lively mouthfeel and the malty sweetness off set nicely by the familiar crisp hops of an IPA. Good Beer!!

07-21-2003 15:24:05 | More by mapman97
PatandDavid

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

What I have found with Stone is that they are very un-even on tap, at least where I am most likely to drink them in Massachusetts.

Sometimes they are malty, sometimes hoppy, sometimes a good balance.

Anyway, this had a nice orangey color, and the aroma was nice and hoppy, very pleasant and fresh.

There was some sweet malt undertone, but basically this was all hops. It was a bit bitter at the start, but as it warmed up became very pleasant. Very nice carbonation added to the mouthfeel.

Got a good one this evening. Always a brewery to check out and see what the beers are up to.

07-19-2003 16:59:10 | More by PatandDavid
StevieW

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber while watching July 4 fireworks. I saved this one for a special occasion and it was worth it. What can I say that hasn't already been perfectly described.
Hazy deep rusty amber color. Dense thick white head, full of hop bubbles so soft, it would be the perfect resting place for a butterfly with sore feet. Aromas of thick citrus, fresh whole hops, and smooth toasted malt. Taste is the perfection of the style, IMO. Striking hop bitterness, the corner of the inside of my mouth cringe, then bitterness lingers on the tongue. Riding along the whole time is a super mellow toasted malt backbone. Full bodied, flavors never waver. Medium bodied and holds together to the end. The perfect beer to match with any grilled food, IMO. Hop bitterness cuts through everything, leaves a dry snap finish, and your tastebuds aching for more.
Brought this one back from a tiny gourmet grocery store, just down the street from the T-line in Cambridge, MA. The only beer they stocked was Stone and Concord Raspcallion. Does Todd do the ordering for this place ?

07-19-2003 00:27:44 | More by StevieW
GreatPondBrewer

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

22 oz bomber
Damn near perfect. I will never deny my love for hops and Stone has plenty of them! Reverse cascaded into a hazy golden much like a midsummer sunset with bubbly white head and plenty of tiny bubble lace. The smell was tart and bursting with Chinook hops, honey and a faint toasted malt. But the smell was dominated by hops. The taste was the same. Huge waves of grapefruit hop bitterness rolled on the shores of my mouth leaving my taste buds in utter shock there was very little aftertaste as the nectar flowed dwn my gullet. The mouthfeel was thinly carbonated and syrupy, more to my likeing. This stands as one of the better IPAs I have had, and that is not just because this is Stone, but because it is damn near the definition of a west coast IPA.

07-18-2003 22:57:53 | More by GreatPondBrewer
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz. bomber poured into a pint glass. It pours a clear orange-amber color with 2 fingers of head. There is a little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich floral hops, maybe chinook, with some citrus. The taste is very well balanced, with sweet malt up against fruity hops. The hops are not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is fairly nice, just a little carbonated. The drinkability is extremely good. This must be Ruination's little brother.

07-10-2003 20:26:48 | More by SheepNutz
bigbelcher

Arizona

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

An outstanding American IPA. Lots of hop flavor and good bitterness. Stone doesn't use the Cascade hops like many American IPA's use. Not sure what they use but it gives it a unique taste. If you are a hophead you will love this beer. Also available in bottles but draft is outstanding. Strong but not overdone.

07-10-2003 09:33:10 | More by bigbelcher
stegmakk

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a nice deep copper with off white head...a good head retention and nice lacing made this an attractive beer
Aroma was mostly piney hops (big hop flavor overall)...
Taste was very hoppy from start to finish...pine earthy were bigger flavors ending bitter yet crisp...kind of oily/butter hint of flavor and texture as well...
I didnt find much malt...but there might have been some in there to mix the flavors together...there was a touch of sweetness to it to so I think this is where the malt poked through...
This now ranks as 1 or 2 on my IPA list...mmmm...good stuff

07-09-2003 20:22:15 | More by stegmakk
aaronh

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Pours a hazy orange-amber with an off white head. Good head retention for an IPA. The head fades to a thin film of foam on the surface of the beer. This is usually a good indicator of a malty beer. The aroma may be the sweetest floral smells I've ever experienced in a beer. I have a fragrant rose in my garden called "Seattle Scentsation". It may be the best rose aroma I've ever experienced. This beer reminds me of that scent. Wow!

The hop florals carry over into the taste as well. Very bitter, very good. And there is a substantial malt base to support all the hops. A hint of sweetness slides in the finsh, possibly caramel notes. Also a bit of ale "fruitiness", which I only noticed later in the glass. But the hops just blow me away. I'll revisit this beer at a later date when I'm slightly less in awe.

The mouthfeel is also very full for an IPA. The beer seems to expand to fill your mouth, and gets silkier the longer it's on your tongue. Mmmmmm, goooood. It finishes rather cleanly, with a good hop kick to cleanse the palate.

6.9% ABV? You have got to be kidding me! I could tatste no alcohol notes, and could drink this beer for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and supper and still want a few that evening.

I can't believe I waited a couple of weeks to try this beer after I bought it. I'm buying more on my next beer run. This beer could temper my desire to try new beers somewhat. It is one of the best I've ever experienced flavor-wise, and is very drinkable. Not just a hop-head's IPA. It's a beer lover's IPA. Dare I say it's my new IPA? It will be when I can get it.

** 7-8-03** This beer is still awe inspiring. One of my favorties. Greg is a Beer God**

07-08-2003 21:30:58 | More by aaronh
chilidog

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

I agree with most of these reviews, Wow!! I think this is the best IPA i've had to date. Im not one to seek out this style just for the hops and abv. I found this to be so well balanced and easy to drink, I beleave I found my new home stocker of this style. It pours a cloudy orange amber with a one & half inch white head. Lace is very good and sticks all glass long. The taste is hoppy yes, but not over bitter, but rather smooth. Stone takes thier time in the brewing process, and it shows. From the first aroma of floral citrus hop to the mouth that is left alittle tart, but not dry. Wow, a very drinkable IPA to be had.

07-05-2003 07:32:04 | More by chilidog
AaronRed

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice golden color upon pouring this beer- the creamy white head has tight little bubbles that stay untilt the last drop. A clear hop aroma emerges as soon as I poured it. A nice strong bitter punch hits you as first, just to let you know there is an abundance of hops here. Citrus like flavors are balanced well with a slightly sweet malt and candy like flavors- but only for a moment. This beer is all about hops, but it backs off just enough to make this a great beer to drink anytime. Goes extremely well with spicey foods.

07-03-2003 08:30:26 | More by AaronRed
FranklinPCombs

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

The Stone IPA pours with a vibrant orange color, which is slightly clouded in appearance. the thick foamy white head leaves a thick, clinging lace around the glass. The first smell immediately presents a sharp hoppy scent surrounded by soy and citrus rind, with an underpinning of apples, pine and malt. The mouthfeel is smooth, although contrasted by the play of carbonation on the middle of the tongue. The taste is subtle, while not at all lacking. Starting with a fruity maltness, it builds to a hoppy bitter within about 5 seconds, with some citrus hints lingering. It blends to a bitter hoppy aftertaste which makes one want to eat something salty, which of course makes you want to drink more. This, of course, is always good. I put this ale high on my list.

06-30-2003 15:55:35 | More by FranklinPCombs
usualpulp

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WoW. This is one amazing beer. I had been waiting for a while for more Stone brews to come to Texas, and got very excited when I saw the IPA at the store, sadly there was only one bottle left. The beer pours a nice golden color with a white foamy head. The beer is very bubbly and makes it quite nice to look at after it is poured. The smell of the beer is great, very very hoppy, with a fruit smell, possibly grapefruit. With the first taste the hops hit you like a hammer, then the fruit kicks in, all of the flavors meld terrific.The beer is dry yet wet at the same time, making this one great beer for hot weather. This goes on my list as one of my top beers. Hopefully more Stone brews become available here soon.

06-24-2003 18:15:40 | More by usualpulp
TXHops

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ABV: 6.9%

Mmm—Stone IPA… This was the first non-Arrogant Bastard Stone beer I tried. I bought a boat load of Stone on a trip to Arizona, and drank the IPA first for two reasons—I expected it to pale in comparison with the likes of Old Gaurdian and Ruination and because at the time (March 2003) it was due to be available in Texas within days. Well, it’s mid-June and IPA is finally here! Anyway, I’m sorry I so under-estimated this beer, because it might just be my favorite Stone. The brilliant, clear gold body sports a stylishly-contrasted white, creamy head and a massive aroma of fruity PacNW hops OTHER than Cascades. The nose isn’t one-dimensional either, just like the beer itself. Under the fresh, floral, green hoppiness is a touch of earthy maltiness and a soft, fruity sweetness. The flavor is identical, with the bitterness being far from assertive, allowing the hops to be flavorful, not astringent. The pale maltiness shows even more of the fruitiness in the flavor than it did in the nose. The velvety smooth fruitiness glides effortlessly past the initial hop smack and doesn’t end until a touch of alcoholic warmth reminds me that this is almost 7% ABV. How a beer that’s this hoppy can maintain this kind of balance and still be as quintessential an example of an American IPA as I’ve tried, I honestly don’t know. Masterful brewing, simply masterful.

06-22-2003 20:29:30 | More by TXHops
kindestcut

3.85/5  rDev -9%

The Stone IPA pours a clear gold, bordering on orange-yellow. The white head is small but leaves a visible lace as the glass is drained. This is a very bright beer.

The aroma is extremely hoppy and spicy. I can tell by the aroma (and the Stone name coincidentally) that this is a hoppy brew. Upon forst taste, I am amazed that the hoppiness is not more intense. Now, come on, I didn't mean that this is not an intensely hoppy beer. It is. I'm just surprised that the over-the-top Stone has brewed an IPA here that is rather well balanced, although very heavy on the hops.

I can taste a malt foundation with a tremendous hoppy body. The floral-citrus bitterness dominates to be sure, but there is far more flavor than you'd think. Although I am not a huge fan of overly hoppy beers, I believe I could have more than one of these. An amazing thing that I never would have guessed.

06-18-2003 16:13:38 | More by kindestcut
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.