Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,854 | Hads: 10,094
4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

22 ounce bottle

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, this beer has a nice lemony yellow and peach tinited color. The head needed a little coaxing, but I got an inch off a hard pour. Sticky, whispy white foam with average retention.

Smell: This is where it's at. This beer has a dramatic amount of hops in the nose. Sharp piney bitterness and sweet fruity floral scents lie in wait. Wonderfully dry-hopped.

Taste: Very nice. This has ample hop presence; it is initally very raw and bitter. As one continues to sip, the citric sweetness of the hops comes out and melds well with the malts. This is finely tuned to allow the blend of hops to really just stick out and do their work. A very nice, and clean IPA.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not cloying or overly syrupy, this has a good balance of hop oils and malts to allow it to go down smoothly.

Drinkability: I had no problem finishing the bomber. Would I buy more at $6 a pop? I can't say. I know I barely prefer HopDevil just for orginality, and it is much more affordable on this side of the country. Someone brings them to me though....watch out. Glug, glug, glug. (1,123 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

I really like this for an IPA, and I'm not a huge IPA fan. I love the lacing left on the glass and the overwelming aroma of hops. Citrusy and slightly piney notes from the hops. Taste is almost a pallate stripping assult of hops, but there is a bit of malt to be found there, but it's hiding well ;).

Overall, a good IPA. A bit more malt would really make this a winner for me, but overall, not bad at all. (410 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampled from a bomber freshly poured into the 3 straight sided pints.

Aroma is piney, catty and depply resinous on a base of toasty biscuit notes.

Flavor matches and follows with a relatively thin toasted malt body competing to hold off the attack of a vigorous American bitterness.

Overall I like the balance of the beer (which is slanted decidely to the hops) and the crispness of the final product. (410 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4%

This is my first Stone product. The appearance is nice. Pours a nice golden orange color, slighly hazy with a smallish white head. The smell is fairly strong with hops, hops, more hops and maybe a acid like citrous scent. The taste is fantastic. I am not a hop head but this is loaded with hop flavor and bitterness and I enjoyed it. Wow ! Holy hops ! The mouthfeel is good. Much thicker than I expected. It really coats the tongue and mouth letting the flavorful beer be enjoyed. There is a long lasting aftertaste of well...hops. This is a good IPA. This would be hard for me to drink all night but two or so is just right. (625 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4%

this was, by far, the 'safest' stone brew i've had thusfar, and probably the most disappointing. was it still good? of course, but did not live up to the stone 'hype' so to speak. i expected a hop onslaught, but maybe i'll get that when i sample the ruination later on in the week. this one seemed tame by west coast standards, dare i say more like an east coast ipa. it pours an above average amber colour. nothing special, but better than average. head is fairly thin, but sticky. carbonation is abound throughout the body. the smell is a nice blend of bread, hop, butter and a touch of pina colada. very nice but it doesn't stray much from what you'd expect from an ipa. the flavour is a nice balance between juicy sweet and hoppy. it starts off sweet, moves into the hop attack and then finishes with a dryness that still has hints of juicy sweetness interlaced. the hop burps are quite flavourful. mouthfeel was a touch thin but this was an enjoybale and highly drinkable brew overall. is it strange to say that i enjoyed this one while being let down by it at the same time? well, i was, but i'd still happily sample it again any day. (1,140 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Served on tap at Chalkie's in Indianapolis, IN

Appearance: Served in an English Pint glass. A clear amber orange with a rocky white head. This is just a beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Citrusy, floral hops rip my nostrils! A hoppy, bitter smell dominates. Very inviting and a hop-heads delight to be sure.

Taste: Very consistent with the smell. A grapefruit, citrusy sweet taste initially and then a crisp and bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Prickly, medium bodied, and palate blowing!

Drinkability: If I didn't care about my tongue, I would drink them all night! I don't consider myself a huge hop-head and I found myself loving this. It's really a finely crafted beer. Most people probably couldn't make a session out of it but it's refreshing enough that it would work for me. Even if you aren't into hoppy beers, you should try this just to make sure. (867 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a dark golden to light amber color, very clear, wih a small white head that leaves a beautiful, thick lacing behind. The aroma is flat-out amazing... once again, I'm engulfed by fumes of new carpet smell (seems to be something each Stone brew I've had has in common with the next), grapefruity citrus smells and honey as it warmed. As expected of Stone, all tastes were huge as well... really spicy up front, honey-cereal sweet and citrus tangy in the middle and then a solid, dry bitterness that coated my tongue and lasted. Mouthfeel is slightly oily with medium body and carbonation, and overall, it's very smooth. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. Stone hasn't disappointed yet. (690 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5%

22oz bottle. Pours out a deep orange/peachy color with a hint of golden color in there with a nice amount of carbonation that stays with you until the end. Smell consisted of lots of hops. I noticed on the back that it's dry hopped as well. Some background malts can be detected as well along with some citrus notes. Taste was quite nice. Big hops come across first along with some piney notes, but once you think the hops are going to have a huge bite, some nice malts hide the hops along with some citrus notes. Almost juicy-like in taste. Medium body with the right amount of carbonation blending in. Overall a nice well rounded IPA. First Stone I've had and look forward to many more. (688 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz. bottle. The smell of fresh cannabis bud took me back to the days of yore with hydros and grow lights. Poured with no head. The taste was grapefruit bittersweet with enough of a malt presence to keep the hops from overwhelming. The full body of this brew carries the flavors nicely. Probably the best of Stones widely availible beers. (340 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Ah Stone Brewing Co Can you do no wrong? By me; no.
This one pours a lovely orange color with a minimal white head. Smell is very hoppy and piney though not as assertive as alpha king or dreadnaught. Flavor, at first is predominately hoppy but the aftertaste lets some malt and piney notes come through. Very nicely balanced as I can have 2-3 without any palate fatigue. Excelent drinkablity for a 7 percent ale. Although it won't top alpha king or dreadnaught as my go to beer when I'm having a hop craving, I will definately be returning to Stone's IPA. (557 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with copper overtones, with a medium white head that quickly settles into a nice cover with lace on the sides. Aroma is hops, oily piney, crushed juniper needles, with floral notes sharp and crisp. Flavor incorporates the aromas plus a nice, light, citrus backflavor (just a hint), with a finishing hop bite. A very nice, very enjoyable beer.

Edit (3/30/05): I just reviewed my review, and I don't have any substantive changes to the review itself, except to note that I have found (as a non-hophead), that this really has become my beer of choice when I am in the mood for something hoppy (which does happen once in a while). It just fits the bill. (681 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

I love IPA's and especailly big ones, however I know this one isn't a big one, but it comes across as a great one. There is nothing that I can find wrong with this beer. I tried to find something that I didn't like, but I couldn't find it.
Pours a beauty of a light copper color with a nice head and some nice lacing. The smell is of a nice hoppy citrus that when you smell you can't help but to say AAAHHH. The taste is smooth and hoppy which is what you want however here we have a nice balance and before you know it you are looking for another one. I only scored this one higher than the arrogance because it is a little lower than alcohol and I could probably drink several more of these before I started forgetting things. Stone Brewery I love you. Please come to Arkansas soon. (785 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an nice amber-orange color into my Duvel tulip glass. The head is moderate, and dissipates quickly, leaving a bit of a ring of foam. The aroma is excellent. Floral hops, with a bit of that "good marijuana" smell, for lack of a better way to describe it. Like dark hydro. The taste is great. One of the better IPAs I've tasted. Very hoppy - a good balance of hops. A little floral. Just the right amout of bitterness. This is how an IPA should taste, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is good, but a bit weak in the carbonation department, in my opinion. A wee bit acidic, also, but that is to be expected in an IPA. Very drinkable. Easy to put multiple glasses of this one away. I highly recommend this ale to anyone who enjoys IPA and ESB styles of beer. (756 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a bright, golden honey color, maybe a bit on the orange side. Head didn't seem to be developing much, so I poured a bit more aggressively toward the end of the pour. That kicked up a decent foamy, white head which soon fell back to a persistent ring that left a good bit of lace. Smell was predominantly floral and citrusy hop aromas. Hints of fruit. There was also something else that I couldn't quite place in the smell that was a bit off. Taste was very good. Initially intense hop flavors: citrus, floral, herbal, and spicy... certainly Cascades are present, but also a good blend of other hop flavors. Hops give way to a bready, slightly fruity, slightly sweet malt backbone. Then the finish is a nice hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is smooth and satisfying. Not too thin, not too syrupy. I'm enjoying hops more and more lately, and this really hit the spot! Thanks to deejaydan for the sample!

Edit: I'm told Stone uses no Cascades in their beers. Perhaps I'm tasting Centennial or Amarillo... something is lending a citrus note. Whatever they're using... it's very tasty! (1,108 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Got a 22 oz bomber. Poured a brilliant golden orange colour, slight cloudiness. Looked like a nice peachy iced tea. Creamy off white head, left a thin layer of foam, lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

Smelled floral, fruity, citrusy, tremendous hop aroma, very inviting.

Taste was very well balanced. Starts very sweet and fruity, but a whole load of hops rush into the picture. There's some spiciness from the hops. Also, there was something very earthy about this beer. This beer had moderate body, and the mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy. Went down really easy. As it warmed, the power of the hops was very apparent.

Wish this was available in Canada...if only it was. (693 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dabbled in the dark arts with this one on 4/25/2004. 16-oz. pour at Anam Cara.

Nice, frothy one inch initial head. Very light colored for style; close to a hefe though clearer, almost light straw in hue. Nice hop character, grassy, with hints of long summer afternoons hanging about. The hops corral the taste buds, followed by a Double Bubble chewing gum sweetness, well balanced. After swallow, the hops burst up into the olfactory glands. Chewy hops overall to body, yet infinitely smooth. Could very definitely make this my session IPA.

Not as overwrought as other Stone offerings can be, this is one I would gladly sit down with for a few hours. (656 characters)

Many thanks to northyorksammy for introducing me to my first Stone product. 12 oz. brown bottle, green and white silkscreened enamel labelling, the blurbs on the back of the bottle are worth reading, the P.R. person comes across as having a personality and something to say with some substance. Pours out a cloudy marmalade colour, thickish foamy head which recedes to a ring and leaves some lacing. Hops are initially present on the nose, but seem to be biding their time, like a leviathan preparing to surface, grapefruit, pine and some spice, but enough malt in it's wake to not make it one-dimensionally overwhelming. Flavour is not as intense as I anticipated, some sweet malt at first triggers the explosion of hops that build and build and build towards and throughout the finish. Earthy and piney at first, then turning citrus, and the grapefruit rind on the finish. A well-contained IPA, the hops are not allowed to completely run wild and get out of control, there is method behind the madness, some direction. Mouthfeel is full and smooth. I think perhaps this would garner a higher rating if I had a fresher sample, but I'm enjoying this nonetheless, it holds up. Definitely worth further sessions. (1,210 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%

This IPA pours a bright copper/gold. It has a decent head that didn’t retain all that long. A nice lace did stick around after the head deteriorated. The nose is a bright, citrusy hops. This smells fresh, and really gives you a live feel. The taste is a floral/citrus balance on the front. You really don’t feel the malt until the back of the taste. It’s very good though. . It has a light feel, and a good drinkability. This is high on my list of summer beers.

Had this on tap today at RedBones. I can't change much except the head was great, and the hops in the beer led to an even better retention of the head, and a nice lace. Great floral lead on teh nose. Maybe a little bit more of a bite from the hops than the bottle usually gives. (746 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous screen printed bottle, but thats irrelevant. Light orange kind of cloudy appearance, thin white head. Smells of hops hops hops and spice. Mmmmm. First one knocked me on my ass, second and third became tasty, after the fourth I found myself craving, and the fifth and sixth had me singing praises of Halleluiah Stone!

What a great IPA. More drinkable than other beers of its style, for instance Magic Hat's HiPA. Alcohol is masked by the intensity of the hops. Dry and crisp, another beer that goes well with spicy food. Not overly carbonated, which is great. This beer is a work of art... now to find some ruination... (631 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Undoubtedly a nice looking package ... poured a hazy honey color.

Lots going on in the aroma, fruity, candy smells (I'm a sweet tooth so those are positives). A challenging brew for those who try to id hops.The taste is also complex. Leaves even layers of lacing.

A full finish coats the mouth. This fits my expectations of an IPA well.

[ I see other have rated this higher- that is understandable. It is very good but did not knock me out]. (450 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

The appearance? It's beautiful. Somewhere past yellow, but not quite orangish either.

Smell? Smells delicious. Hops and spice. Some sort of spice.

Taste? Hops + spice = Godlike. I love this beer. It just tastes incredible. It's this hoppy, spicy *thing* I just adore.

Feel? It actually feels like something. Not too airy, but not as thick as a porter.

Drinkability? This brew tastes so good that I could drink it until I got tired of life. I truly believe it tastes that good. Again, it all comes from the taste. Which actually comes from the smell...

Anyhow, in conclusion, it's my new favorite beer. If God were to choose a beer, He'd choose the Stone IPA. I firmly believe that. (696 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A clear red-gold color with a steadily rising stream of bubbles. A low but tight white head disappears quickly and leaves a ring around the edge and a light haze floating on top in the center of the glass. The aroma is of zesty, minty herbal hops and black pepper. Caramel joins in later.
A prominent bitter hop and grass initial flavor is joined by roasted coffee malt at mid-taste. A mild chocolate taste blends in as flavor fades.Leaves a lingering sweet hard candy flavor on the sides of the mouth. Moderately thick body with very good carbonation. Flavor pleasingly biased toward hops.
Very smooth IPA goes down easy. Very drinkable (639 characters)

Tough to review an interesting and very popular beer that you simply can't drink. In all the categories, smell, taste etc., I had the same reaction, "wow this is really interesting, even complex", but in the end I did not want another one. I am not a "hop head" so I don't relate to being hit over the head with the overbearing, piney, almost tree sap flavor of hops, which is what this beer is all about. I guess I'm one of those who appreciates the balance of flavors in beer and not too much of any one. Very hard to score this "interesting" beer. (550 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

This brew had the head of an IPA, but the body was a little on the light and clear side. The smell was classic, however. The two Gods of Hop scents, Grapefruit and Pine, came through with authority. The malt also made a strong showing, in a supporting role. On the taste front, no hops are spared. Citrusy-bitter and just bitter-bitter, all over the place. The malt keeps the brew semi-thick. The aftertaste is excellently piney. A very solid IPA that I will drink again. (471 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours an orangy amber color with a beige, fluffy head. Botanical, piney hop aroma with a bit of tea-like malt aroma, too. Balanced towards the hoppy side, this IPA is quite enjoyable. It's about 90 degrees outside and I could drink this all afternoon. A bit dry and a touch sweet in the finish, but wonderful. I like this IPA a lot. This flagship has some wind in it's sails. (375 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.