Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,888 | Hads: 10,319
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Once again, Stone goes ahead and proves why they are one of America's finest brewers. Pours a rich opaque gold with light head. Smell is potent, thick with hops, tangy and sweet. Taste is outstanding. Lightly carbonated, the hops flavors dominate without overwhelming the tastebuds, which allows the beer's sweetness to shine. Aftertaste is primarily bitter, with a lingering sweetness. Absolutely delicious, would go great with a heart meal. Thumbs up!

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice orange color with a small bubbly head.

Nose full of crisp, citrus and piney hops. So enticing, patience is wearing thin.

Wow, full body, smooth with prickly carbonation. Full of grapefruit and hop bitterness. Not oily like many IPA's, awesome. Slight flowery flavors follow up in the rear and finishes with a bitter dryness.

Awesome beer, finally a chance to try a Stone brew and it does not disappoint. Now I need to try that bottle of Ruination I picked up. Yeehah!

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks be to Hustlemuscle for this 12 ozer.

Pours a clear yellow-orange with an off-white, frothy head, not too big, that hangs around a bit.

Smell is nearly all hops, citrus and pine. Not much malt scent, not much expected.

Taste is thoroughly hoppy, mostly pine with citrus overtones, biting bitterness near the finish. A cool but bitter aftertaste.

Much less oily than so many IPAs. I'd call this a medium-bodied beer with big beer intentions.

Very inviting brew that will make you thirst for another and another.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this brew on tap at Mahars the other night. Brew poured to a very nice brown/orange color with a slight head that broke down to light lacing. The aromas of this brew were all about the hops as I notice a piney, earthy smell with hints of grapefruit. The taste is very much about the pungent hopiness of this brew as you can notice it at the front and end of this brew. In the middle I am able to get a great biscuit (?) malt flavor that seems to keep things in somewhat of a balance. Over all a nice brew, definitely west coast and different from the IPA’s that I am use to but a very good brew. Will looks for this brew in the future!

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

A better than descent India Pale Ale. Wonerful hops. Pours a beautiful rich amber color. There is a nice off-white head. A slight fruity nature to the smell (and taste). Taste is good: bitter with a fruity tinge. Definitely worth searching out and trying.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

What an IPA!

This beer was a delight to drink. IPA is my wife's favorite style of beer, so when I came home with this bomber, she was guite pleased.

Anyways, this beer poured a beautiful golden/orange color, with a nice frothy head. The head did not stick around too long, but it's healthy reminents beautifully coated the glass all the way till the last drop.

The taste was very crisp, sweet, and had citrus, floral, and grassy notes. The beer coated my tongue, yet was not too thick or too thin-very balanced.

All in all, a very nice beer! I wish it wasn't priced at $9.26 per six pack, though. Looks like this will be an occasional treat for me.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

Where have you been? I am waiting for you all my life and you have come upon me like the mysterious women in red, or maybe my california dreamin,or-- whoops back to sober web reality. This beer makes me swoon with delight and give thanks to the gods of hops that are thee stone folks.
to start with the mortal apects- color only does so much for me as this beer is a yellow-orangish color, circa psychedelic 1971. We quickly take it to another level. In the sublime sense, clarity is wonderful and the smell is a heavenly sweet smel of floral hops. Excellent carbonation and wonderful head and glass lacing. this beer imparts a perfectly balanced beer drinking experience. taste is sensational with strong floral sweet tones of wildflowers and fresh cut grass. The sweetness balanced with an intense but mellow bitterness lingers, and flows, lingers, and flows on the tongue and through the palate. Drinkability is exceedingly dangerously high. A top notch, memorable representation of the style. a session beer for professional drinkers, with a connesouiers character profile. Easily in my top ten. My current sublime trip of choice. cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Stone IPA pours a golden color with some miniscule floaties. It has a huge, frothy, white head that lasts forever.

The nose is huge on hops (kind of on the grassy, piney side)! There are also some grapefruit tones. Very appealing!

The taste is hop juice up front, leading to some citrusey, bready malt. It ends with a big, bitter hop finish and aftertaste. It's medium bodied and fairly well balanced - though it obviously favors the hops over the malts. The slight malt and citrus help balance it well.

Overall, this is probably the best IPA I've had to date. It's a nose ahead of Avery IPA and Victory Hop Devil.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

This is still the only Stone beer that I've managed to purchase by the case. I will have to pull the trigger on a case of bombers one of these days. This pours a creamy, orange-amber with a sticky, foamy off-white head and nice lacing down the glass. The smell is sweet citrus hop perfume with slight pine, grass and lemon. Oh what a wonderful bouquet! The taste is creamy, hoppy, soft, brittle... all of the above with a full malt backbone which tries to offset the hops, but just cannot win this battle. This is clearly a "west coast" IPA but so much more.... it's like a creamsickle it's so smooth and very nicely balanced overall. I wish I could find Stone products in quantities less than a case, but alas I will have to save up for my next foray into their wares. In the meantime, I have 23 more bottles of Stone IPA waiting for me in the fridge... gotta go!

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a light coppery, orange color with a 1/4 off-white head. The head quickly dissipates, but the lace delicately clings to the glass to the bottom. The aroma immediately hits you as abundantly hoppy, naturally, as that is the trademark of this beer.

The first taste hits your mouth in a flourish of hops and perfect bitterness. It would definitely turn off your ordinary beer drinker, but to the sharp tastebud, it is ideal. It has a lime-like aftertaste and the carbonation is very well balanced.

It finishes very strong and is good to the last drop. I will buy more from Stone and can only hope they are all this good.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A splendid IPA.

Appearance is somewhat cloudy, medium amber with a modest head. Smell is a nice mix of citrus hops with some earthiness to it.

Taste is exactly what you expect from a quality IPA: an initial kick of hops as it hits your tongue, balanced quickly by malt and a nice lingering hoppiness to the aftertaste.

Never had this in the bottle. On tap it has a similar feel to Victory's HopDevil bottles, though the Devil is a good bit more aggressive on tap. Overall, exactly what I would expect of Stone in an IPA. Well done!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A beautiful 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle. I am sad to see it leave my fridge.

This is an awesome looking brew. The colour is golden, yet hazy, while the head was respectable, and left a good lace throughout the beer. The aroma is all about the hops and piney resin. This is some good stuff. I mean there is legitimate, bare-bones hop spice that would make any IPA-lover proud. The flavor is crisp and clean, with great notes of bready-like chewiness and fabulous maltiness. A fantastic IPA, and one I will be begging for in the future, as well. Beers like this are the reason I am happy to call myself a Beer Advocate.

Zum wohl!!!

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Hazy golden-amber color with a frothy white head that leaves sticky rings of lace.
Floral and citrus hop aroma with some herbal notes along with hints of fruit and sweet malt.
Rich flavor with a good combination of hops and malt. The malt peeks out from the hops with, fruit, a hint of caramel sweetness, and lightly toasted bread. Big time hop flavor with citrus (grapefruit and lemon), pine, and grass, with herbal and floral notes. Tantalizing bitterness is not overpowering, but assertive and draws you in for another glup. Alcohol stays hidden. Finishes dry with hops in the aftertaste.
Medium-full in body, smooth and creamy yet also crisp. Highly drinkable and very tasty.
A great IPA.

3.76/5  rDev -11.1%

on tap at Redbone's

I *know* I saw lovely, creamy heads on other glasses of this stuff! But for whatever reason, mine was served with no head, which is probably why I could only detect a faint, sweet scent

My taste buds were overwhelmed by luscious, grapefruity hops and the creamy mouthfeel.

I'm hard-pressed to distinguish it from the Brutal Bitter I've been drinking for a week. I will have to keep trying both of them.

So good it made me give money to a begger--and chat with him! That can't be such a bad thing.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has a light orange color, almost completely clear. I poured aggresively but still didn't get a very large head. Still looks tasty though.
The aroma from this beer is probably the best I've encountered or my sense of smell is really on today : ). First hit is a huge wallop of citrus. Has a little bit of grapefruit but it doesn't make up the bulk of the citrus. It also seems like their is a friggin huge bouquet of flowers in there somewhere. Light carmel malts and slight hints of pale malt as well, along with subdues alcohol spices.
Taste is delicious. Seems to very well balanced. Strong malt presence up front. Slight hints of carmel. This is quickly met by a huge hop explosion which tastes strong at first but ends up smoothing itself off by the aftertaste. Hops are floral and sort of piney. Not as much citrus in the taste as in the smell but still some. Alcohol spices are somewhat present on the finish but lightly so.
A medium-light mouthfeel. Extremely easy drinking.
Big Thanks to Quaffer hooking me up.

I just got my hands on another one and it was every bit of delicious as before. Had to come bump the scores a little bit.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Yum city, but with some reservation.

Pours a dark orange/ medium yellow witha head that ends up coating about half of the beer to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is malty, kind of like sticking your nose into a bag of dried malt extract, but it also has that sting of hops there in the background. Taste is- taste is malty, but immediately goes to the hops and just lingers there on your tongue, producing an aftertaste of sweet, sweet hop goodness.

I truly love this one, but it's even better on tap. The hops are much fresher and the taste is cleaner, but that's a different review. Still a great tasty brew, and I love having it at home.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

The pour was light amber almost bordering on copper. It had a good three quarter inch head, thick and foamy, that quickly dissapated to a light beige ring around the beer. This ring held on throughout the glass.

The smell a mix of floral, fruit and spice. The tip of the nose picked up a light floral kick. The rest of the nose picked up an apple scent mixed with heavy hop spice.

The drink started with a slight sweetness, followed by hops, hops, and more hops. The hops were nipping at the tongue really from start to finish, but they weren't so overpowering that it was undrinkable. The finish was borderline clean, just a slight lingering hop taste.

All and all a very drinkable beer with great mouthfeel. As it warms it gets more and more character. What I liked about this beer was the fact that it was agressively hopped, but no so much that the hops took over the taste totaly. A very enjoyable beer.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased a 22oz bomber of this from Ziggy’s in Chattanooga. I have to make a pretty decent trip to get anything over 6.0% abv but it’s usually well worth it.

This pours out a very lightly murky, pale yellow/orange. A beautiful bubbly head rolls up 2 ½ fingers high. Small zippy carbonation bubbles rise rapidly to the top. Lacing forms in rings and clings beautifully. Appearance is well in order for the style.

As soon as the bottle is opened the odors rush out and roughly massage and entice my sense of smell. God, I love the way this beer smells. Like standing in the middle of an orange orchid or something. A sweet malty smell is detectable in the background but those fresh, delicious smelling hop fragrances take center stage.

This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Just enough sweet malt background here to keep this from tasting overly-hopped. Taste is astringent as it plays across the front of my tongue, then a mild sweetness glides over but is put in a choke hold by the diversity of hop flavors I detect. Apricot notes/strong citrusy fruity notes as well as juicy pine and floral flavors dance over my tastebuds. Aftertaste is dominantly citrus. Mouthfeel is refreshing and dry without being a cotton-mouth choker. No alcohol taste is present to me at all.

This is one of my favorite beers, definitely the best non-imperial IPA I’ve tasted to date. To be honest with you I like this one just about as much as Ruination depending on what I’m in the mood for. This one being a little more balanced and aggressively hopped yet still sessionable without destroying my taste buds or dehydrating my tongue. If I was rating strictly on enthusiasm Stone IPA would get straight 5’s.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Pale golden body with a massive beige head that refused to die due to nice natural carbonation. Aroma is floral, grassy, piney hops with an infusion of yeasty bready malt. The taste is a wonderland of hops with spicy-hot pine resin like quality to the beginning of each sip. Following that first assault by the hops, there are additional waves of grapefruit rinds, black pepper, marigold, and orange blossom. The malt adds a butterscotch like sweetness to the mix, and the yeast adds a grittyness to the mouthfeel. This is one of the absolute great IPAs anywhere. I look forward to the day when I can get this at my local store.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazy gold brew.

Smell is malt and sharp citrus like hops.

Taste is sweet from the malt and medium bitter. The hops level in this enough to start numbing your tongue. Tasty and not quite hopped to the point it is the only flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

A drinkable brew it is almost too much in the hops department.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I like living outside the U.S. I spend a lot of time "overseas" and rarely regret it. There are times, however, when something happens that tells me, "Lord, I need to go home." Drinking Stone IPA is one of those moments. Purchased in the DC area by a friend, and hand delivered to Moscow by a colleague, I sit here on a rainy Saturday afternoon nurturing this lovely brew and thinking about all the great IPAs I'm not getting here. Sigh.

Pours a slightly cloudy light copper hue under an off white 1 finger head that lingers for a bit before settling to foam. There are some lace rings on the glass, but not much. The aroma is full of sweet flowery hopes - really full. Mouthwateringly full. The mouth is medium-bodied and slightly carbonated. The taste? Gosh, it's pretty good. Lots of sweet flowers and bitter hops, with a quite noticeable malt backbone. The finish is quite bitter, leaving a wonderfully crisp aftertaste that combines the malt with a hoppiness that makes you want to chew. Although I've had beers I thought were more bitter, this is definitely my kind of beer, and I can't get it where I live. Time to move!

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer is succulent. It oozes like a ripe tomato.

Hazed. Head is kind of fascinating. Lightly clings to the sides of the glass like thin white crystals rising up from the beer. Piney intense hop nose backed with a bit of Cracker Jack.

Completely hoppy. Grapefruity all the way. Certainly crisp and appropriately taste bud annhiliating. But this has a real complex fruit presence, and the alcohol, perhaps, lends a hint of sweetness that more brutal, unforgiving IPAs lack. This is still a big beer, but somehow they manage to make it more quaffable. As a non-IPA lover, I say this is a damn fine IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

It pours a bright orange color with a slight haze and a thin head. There is some decent lacing. The aroma has a lot of hops and some fruity grains. The bitterness is up front. The medium body is slightly grainy and sweet. It finishes with alingering dry bitterness. One helluva IPA.

3.69/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bomber

Apperance: Head was thick, white and laced very nicely. The color was inviting. It was gold or mild apricot. The head lasted a while, but not long enough. It gave way to a patch-worked head. Some think parts and some thin parts. the rings were nice.

Nose: Man! Stone brews have the best smells. This one was all hops malt and a bit of fruit and flowers. It was hoppy at first and sweet at the end.

Taste: Carbonation was not rough, but opened the palate very well. Again, I get hops, a lot of malt, and some fruits at the end. The end leaves you with an organic leafy type of taste in the mouth. Very nice.

Notes: This is sooo drinkable. Not too bitter, but very malty.

3.37/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a hazed golden orange color with a modest but lasting off-white head. The smell is overwhelmingly citrusy hops as an IPA should be, but not far behind it is a nice biscuity malt and a light sweetness as well. The taste is , whew!, a very sharp citrus hop bite that hangs around but slowly lessens to reveal the fresh baked bread flavored malt that stands distantly behind. This is a medium bodied brew that finishes almost brutally dry.

Notes: This one is just about the hops IMHO. Have you ever chewed on hop pellets...this is what it's like. I tried it at 50 degrees and on and off all the way to 60 degress and I can't get more of the malts. If you like balanced brews, this one is not for you. These kinds of brews are not hard to produce. It is okay, but not real good. It is rather one dimensional to come from a brewery of this caliber. Shocking to me that it is top rated when there are so many more complex beers out there. Cheers!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.