Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer pours a nice honey color with a nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. The smell is very clean upfront with grapefruit and other citrus flavors. The smell is not upfront and in your face which is neither good or bad. The taste is much more agressive than the smell with big grapefruit and other citrus flavors. The mouthfeel is a tad thin for my likening but this beer is just so smooth and easy to drink that I hardly notice. I think I am simply comparing to other Midwest/east coast IPA's like hopslam or dogfish head that have that syrupy quality that I enjoy. Overall this is an exellent IPA that belongs to my long list of favoite IPA's. A must try.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

What a great IPA. Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass. The color is a light yellow, good head that remains, two fingers.

The smell is of hops and of slight citrus. The taste is earthy and very hoppy. Then the malt followed by the citrus. The hops in this one taste great. Good carbonation.

This is one great IPA and is it ever drinkable. A six could be gone by the end of the night easily but then I'd be unhappy without my Stones.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Ah, the infamous Stone IPA. Long have I heard tell of its brooding and arrogant majesty.

But here it is, looking back at me from the other side of my pilsner glass. It looks fairly peaceful, perhaps even tranquil, with its constant streams of tiny bubbles continually supporting the pillowy head.

Today is my day.

Ok seriously, sorry about the fanfare. It's just that, being from Utah, there are many difficult-to-acquire beers that gain something of a legendary status (to me anyway). 90% of breweries don't ship here.

This looks like a pretty damn good beer. The color of fresh honey, with a towering off-white head, I hope these are just indicators of the goodness yet to come.

The smell is very fresh, and very tart. Outdoorsy, with pine and earthy elements. The hops are very present in the nose.

The flavor is a tad more subdued than I was expecting. The hops don't come right out and attack you like a pack of angry dogs. For some reason, the reputation of this beer, brewery of origin, and the design on the bottle all suggested that it would. however, it is certainly a world class IPA. One of the things I love about Stone is that they could give a damn about pleasing anyone but themselves. They don't make beers to win medals. They make beers that beer lovers will appreciate. Besides, who needs medals when you've got a fucking gargoyle on your label?

This beer is excellent. Now that my glass has had a chance to stretch its limbs, and warm up a bit, the malt is coming out a bit more. Some gently fruitiness is present around the edges. light sweetness accompanies. However, the hops and their characteristics are the captain of this vessel. Pine, grapefruit, and maybe a touch of herbal abound playfully, but not chaotically.

Mouthfeel is very good, the carbonation has maintained itself very well. Drinkability is spectacular. I would love to drink this again. and again.

and again...

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible freshness date, into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). Slightly hazed pale orange color with plenty of carbonation from my SA glass. Nice thick two-finger cap of white-tan head fades slowly leaving a thick cap and ring. Nose evinces plenty of hops and citrus with a good bit of sweet fruit/malt in the background. On the tongue, the hops are certainly there but not overwhelming. Crisp and tart citrus hops with a bit of breadiness. Not a whole lot of sweetness, but the bitterness isn't overwhelming or sharp. Mid- to low viscosity; it's wet and even quenching in the mouth, again not sharp and biting. Creamy carbonation lends a soft and enjoyable feel. Maybe I'm jaded but I don't consider this to be much of a hop bomb; more of a fairly hoppy American style IPA. Drinkability is good even with 6.9% ABV. Alcohol is very well masked with only a slight burn toward the end serving as a warning.

Overall: A very good IPA, perhaps bordering on a "double" or "extreme" IPA. This one seems to be on the far end of the IPA spectrum, but taken in and of itself, is quite good. Recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

A=Nice honey colored appearance with healthy head when poured. Slight cloudiness noticed. Fine bubbles with sticky characteristics

S=Enjoyable smell, nothing extremely noticable, though it builds anticipation well

T=Great taste, slight bitterness detected though still thoroughly enjoyable.

M=Interesting mouthfeel considerable carbonation with tight bubble texture on tongue.

D=Thoroughly enjoyable and extremely drinkable, easily could have had several more.

Overall- Feel as if it lived up to expectation.

4.05/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I heard tell of an urban legend. A beer so great that all bowed before its mighty taste. After ten reviews, I have finally decided to try some its glory for my self.

Appearance: Honey colored with a powerful two finger head that refuses to quit. Very few bubbles can be seen through the glass. With drinking, a thick lace forms on the side of the glass coating it.

Smell: Enormous citrus smell, like a mix of grapefruit and orange. A bit of buttery notes in the background. Unfortunately, the beer happens to remind me of the dish soap that I use, although I never have used soap in this glass. Though I do not think of it as the fault of the beer, but more of an unfortunate coincidence.

Taste: Amazingly complex. Initially it is sweet like honey, then the citrus taste bites in the back of the mouth. You can taste the alcohol a bit, though it is not off putting.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a proper amount of bubbles. The flavor dances around the tongue without forcing you to swallow.

Drinkability: A great beer. Blends honey and citrus in a creamy warming beer. One bottle is enough for me with the higher alcohol content and massive bottle.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A: THe beer is poured a cloudy golden colour and a nice finger's width of off white head.

S: The smell is filled with citrus hops and floral notes

T: The beer is slightly bitter with a huge citrusy/fruity flavour. The floral hops come through in the back with a slight bit of bready malts. This is pretty fucking good.

M: Medium mouth feel and good carbonation

D: I could take down a sixer of this quite easily!

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another example of a wonderfully-hopped brew by stone. These guys have the hop profile down.
Pours a light amber into the pint with a nice big head and some good lacing.
Smells of pine and citrus, a great american hopbomb.
The taste is the same, only more, the hops build upon eachother very well atop a nice malt backbone, I am quite impressed by this beer, no surprise anymore as far as stone is concerned.
The mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer are both quite high. Very bitter, oily, just enough carbonation to wash it all away. Excellent beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served at cellar temperature in a SA glass. Pale yellow with slight orange hue. Restless head from an agressive pour.
Sweet maltiness with an even amout of hop resins fill the nose. Slight fruitie esters can be detected also.
Refreshing hop flavor that's clean and crisp! Great ballance of malt to keep the hop bite in check. Slight breadiness to finish.
Medium body, heavier than what I expected, however did't take away from drink.
This one's a Keepa!. A must have on hand! Do yourself a favor and get a couple sixers at once.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

A white head sits with great retention and leaves sticky rings around the corners of the glass.
Hop bomb. This is a piney IPA with a good amount of citrus.
Once again Pine levels are extremely high for a normal IPA, with a splash of citrus such as grapefruit. A bitter hop finish that sits on the tongue for a long time.
A full bodied IPA thats resinous and a little sticky and clean at the same time. This beer is very bitter to my palate and although I enjoyed it could not drink to much of this beer.A fantastic example of an American IPA.

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours the color of tea with a foamy, white, inch-tall head that dissipates slowly. Attractive lacing.

The nose is wonderful with a big smell of citrus and pine. Hoppy, sharp, and herbal. Not quite something I'd wear as a cologne, but oh-so-close.

The major flavor is of pine and citrus rinds, with a hop bitterness that I find slightly overbearing. Making everything worse is the thin, flat, and astringent mouthfeel; while it tastes okay, I can't get past the fact that I'd rather swallow it right quick and get rid of it (leaving a delicious aftertaste, by the way) than hold it in my mouth and pick apart the flavors.

Sadly, though it seemed promising, I don't see myself revisiting this one.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bomber poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy golden-orange. An inch of off-white foam. Very easy on the eyes!

Aroma: The hops dominate - a lot of citrus (grapefruit) character. The aroma has an almost floral hop quality.

Taste: Delightfully hoppy - has the same citrusy notes as the aroma. Very big emphasis on the hops and not so much on the malt although it does have a bit of balance - and that is in no way a complaint.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth, very drinkable.

Notes: By far one of the best IPA's out there.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Pours a pale hazy golden yellow with a frothy white head fading to clumpy bubbles leaving a nice oily lacing.

Smell is very nice, clean grassy hops with a nice citrus grapefruit overtone with a touch of honey too.

Flavor is very good, lemony hops nicely balanced with a pale malt background. A bit tart and pleasanlty bitter with a mild grapefruit taste and a tad of resin. Very refreshing (of course I just came in from working in the garden so I could practically gulp this down!)

Mouthfeel is light, smooth and moderately carbonated.

Drinkability is very good, this may become my go to Summer IPA. I wish I had bought more than just the the one to review!

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Good old Stone. It's been far too long.

Appearance - A light copper color. Plenty of nice foamy head. Very white head, very pretty looking beer. Great lacing.

Smell - Very nice hop balance. Both that nice citrus, with a hint of grapefruit, with a little pine mixed in. Great smell. Not an explosion, but very balanced and nice.

Taste - Very nice hop taste. It's very balanced. That pine comes in as well. With some sort of bread. It's got nice hop on the finish. The hops are there in the beginning and end, but the middle is a little bland.

Mouthfeel - Hmmm. It should be a little better. It's a little syrupy and flat. Just lacking some punch. It'd be nice if it was a little crisper.

Drinkability - Pretty solid. The hops aren't overwhelming so it's got nice balance. The finish is decent, it doesn't pack too much of a punch for 7% abv.

I love the way those hops linger. This is a very nice IPA. The hopping is nicely balanced, so it's quite drinkable. I like this beer an awful lot.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked this up while visiting friends in Virginia at the Total Wine and More.

First and foremost, I love a well brewed IPA. I enjoy a good Dogfish IPA, but I have to say this is a very close one for me. The Stone IPA is a very well crafted brew and has an amazing taste.

The Appearance and smell is like many other IPA... It poured with a decent head that really unlocked a well defined aroma. It is has a cloudy amber/gold color to it with. It has very few bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

The taste is phenomenal... there is a very bold hops taste that leaves a very strong aftertaste in the mouth. If you are not a hops fan this brew might not be for you. I could taste a solid citrus taste as well.

Stone IPA is a very clean and crisp tasting IPA. As I had mentioned earlier the mouth feel is very lasting. After I had swallowed, the taste continued to linger in my mouth for bit afterward.

Given it's bold taste, I still feel that this is a very good beer and you could drink this for a night easily.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Thank goodness for the publick house, finally you can buy a great single beer without some jerk doubling the price on you, or the beer being 2 years old

A- Very pale colored, this beer starts off with a decent head which eventually vanishes, holds its lacing nicely, pleasant appearance but not the best quality of this brew
S- It smells like a forest of hops, I can't explain it is the smell of a stone beer, ruination has that same smell, only stronger of course

T- Just citrusy hops that overtake the tastebuds, so good, not excessively bitter which makes it easier to drink, good balancing act by the malt but that is all, so fresh and delicious I ended up drinking this too fast

F- Slightly seltzery mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation finish, medium body, good for the style.

D- With its crisp finish, delicious taste, and a not too heavy feel I could easily have a few of these, but not worth having more than 3 as the delicious taste will be for not after you have burned your taste buds

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a golden clear body with a nice off-white head. Okay retention on the head and some lacing.

S: Smells very hoppy with some pine and grapefruit along with some caramel profile.

T: Strong bitter hops with complemented by strong pine and grapefruit peel with a decent caramel balance, could be better balanced but still not uncomfortably uneven.

Overall: Fine mouthfeel, well carbonated and oily. Pretty drinkable, no alcohol comes through and the taste isn't overpowering.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is really an impressive IPA. I find most IPA's tough to drink more than one. This, however, could really be a session beer, in spite of the 6.9% ABV.

The appearance is somewhat cloudy, and there was minimal head. The aroma is very citrusy with some floral aromas mixed in. In spite of the high hop level, it is not a very bitter beer. The hop flavor far outweighs the bitterness. There is also enough malt present to prevent it from tasting like a hop tea and give it a really pleasant mouthfeel.

While the hops did not taste as fresh as they did when I had this beer on tap, it was still delicious.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A: nice bright apricot colored orange with a good slightly off-white head. moderate retention level. great lacing.

S: perfect IPA aromas. citrus hops with some serious grapefruit aromas, some pine resin and some caramel notes from the malts.

T: very well balanced palate. sweet caramel flavors intertwine with the potent grapefruit flavors from the hops. strong aftertaste of pine resin and citrus. great flavors.

M: medium bodied for the style. perfect carbonation level. sharp, yet subtle. very clean and crisp.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 16 oz. pint glass

Bottled on ?

Consumed on 13 March 2009

A - Poured relatively hard into a 16 ounce, unlabeled pint glass. The head is somewhat delayed, and then rises to form a minuscule "half-finger" head. It's golden, very transparent - I can see the ACC tournament on TV through the glass - and the lacing is thin, having a hard time holding onto the glass. The carbonation is low, there's little bubble activity that I can see.

S - The first thing I pick out is pine needles, although not overpowering, it's just the first thing that sticks out. After a second whiff, I pick out some bread, a little orange peel, a slight lemon zest, and a graininess.

T - It has a strong malt backbone, but the malt is rather grainy rather than the mellow toasted malts I'm used to in an IPA. I sense some lemon zest, a lot of pine, and a little bit of biscuit from the yeast. The bitterness doesn't really come through until towards the end of the swallow. Upon second and third sips, I get a taste similar to butter or margarine. This beer is not as "West Coast" as a lot of other IPAs that I've tasted.

M - The mouthfeel is light to medium. It's very crisp, not as creamy or frothy as a lot of other IPAs. It's light on the tongue. These factors do contribute to a high drinkability, however.

D - Although not the best IPA I've had, it's a quaffable brew nonetheless.

Notes: I drank this side-by-side with a Bell's Two Hearted. Similarities include their reliance on citrusy hops for aroma and taste, while the floral hops are not present. Differences include the Stone's grainy malt backbone compared with the toasted malts evident in the Bell's brew.

Overall a solid, drinkable IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Have been enjoying an awful lot of this beer on tap - I figured I'd pick up a sixer.

A - Poured into a goblet. Decent head, some nice lacing. Very clear gold.

S - Hoppy. Smells like soapy hop, too. Some really soapy hop. I swear, this glass is clean with no soap residue - that soapiness comes 100% from the hops.

T, F - Substantially the same as on tap. Perhaps I notice a little more grainy malt, but it's still really dry, and quite bitter, like sucking on a bar of Irish Spring. Lingering dry bitterness after it slides down your gullet. It's good, but...if you can't handle your hops, please give this one a pass. Medium body.

D - Hmmm, you know, I think I realize that I find this more drinkable after I've already had a couple other beers. At my favorite bar, this is my go-to beer, yet it seems less eminently drinkable here at home, in the bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is yellowish gold color, with a foamy white head.

The smell is quite hoppy. A bit piny and floral.

The taste is sweet with a blend of citric hops, floral hops, and some peppery feel to it as well.

I have heard many good things about Stone brewery and the IPA that they brew. I have yet to be misled by BA reviews in the past so I picked this up and gave it a try.

One of the best IPAs that I have ever tried, hell, one of the best beers I've ever tried. A great spicey hop taste that is just what you would expect from a good IPA but is also quite drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Finally got around to reviewing this old favorite. One of those beers that really grabbed my attention early on and turned me onto the craft brew scene.
Poured a orange with a very thing head. Smells of citrus and grapefuit just like I want it to. really nice fruit taste on the front end, not the biggest hop bomb, not the most complex IPA, but such a clean, structure taste it's hard to find fault in the simpleness. Here is a case where simple really works. Just a touch thin on the mouthfeel, not watered down, just a little thin. Still I could drink this all day and would be extremely happy the entire time. A classic that deserves every ounce of praise it gets.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Nice golden orange appearance with the bubble rising nicely in my tulip glass. Medium head but a little shy on the lacing.

Bursting with grapefruity hops on the nose - just like I like it.

Nice hit of citrus taste and a sharp hop bite especially on the after taste. Not the biggest IPA I've had nor the most complex but a classic nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is just a touch thin but that doesn't detract substantially from a highly drinkable beer. I will always come back to this one.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottled deliciousness! This pours a cloudy orange with ample bosom. Smell is of citrus hop aromas. Taste is primarily of grapefruit bitterness with a sweet biscuity backbone. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a dry finish. Drinkability is perfect. This IPA is the best of its style I have yet to enjoy.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.