Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

Bobbydigi, Sep 08, 2013

spoonhawk, Aug 19, 2012

How does this get a rating of 99? I wish "the bro's" could have had some of the six pack I got today, because this was awful. No way in hell they would drink my specific bottles of this and agree that it is world class.

WOW, I have had this beer before and it was decent then, but this time when I am reviewing it, it is horrible. Way too grassy for me, and not alot of pine and citrus that seems to characterize some of the other Stone's. Maybe it is a bad batch? I tossed the rest of the 6 pack out after I drained poured this one. I don't get it, this doesn't seem to have any hops at all.. Bottle date says to drink by 8/18/2014. It is June, so lack of freshness certainly isn't an excuse. What I got here is just completely uneventful and disappointing.

I found the hop characteristics that epitomize Stone beers to be completely non-existent with this specific 6 pack. I actually did a drain pour with a Stone beer (go figure) and am saving for the Sculpin IPA bomber I picked up at Whole Foods. I really dislike this beer. Have no idea what the deal is with this six pack I picked up, but will not be getting it again.

dave39, Apr 29, 2014

harrylee773, Aug 20, 2012

prisoner1572, May 10, 2012

justinbrown, Mar 17, 2012

plato, Dec 30, 2012

Hazy gold colored ale with an aroma of pine.Taste is pine and malt.This has an "A' with over 1200 reviews???This is one of the 10 top worse tasting beers I've ever had.It reminds me of the Pine Sol my grandmom used to clean the house with.I don't get.Can you say overhyped??

matty, May 18, 2008

rvelectric, Sep 11, 2014

Titanium147, Jul 19, 2014

Zzigg92, Jun 22, 2014
2.17/5  rDev -48.6%

Drinking from a cold bottle 22oz. Decent aroma, with a hint of fruit. crisp mouthfeel, but than the full flavor and aftertaste comes in, and it ruins it. This beer has a somewhat insipid fruity taste mixed with hops. I don't like beer that tastes fruity, and this ruined this for me. wanted to like it but like most ales for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

cwok1980, Aug 30, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -47.2%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

industrialswill, May 08, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

RyFikes, Mar 21, 2013

mulliwater, May 25, 2013

RTHKI, Jul 18, 2012

FriedGold2112, May 02, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

---This is a review of the beer while it is Warm!!!---
Serving Type: 22 Oz Bottle

Appearance: Pours a golden orange w/ a 1 finger head. Plenty of lacing as the head lingers right above the surface

Smell: Citrus, hops, pine...the alcohol does not come through in the smell.

Taste: While warm the drink, in my opinion, looses a lot of its subtlety's as the grapefruit overpowers almost any other taste. The bite from the citrus is a bit overbearing and removes the taste of hops. In the places of the hops is a extremely bitter taste

Mouthfeel: Luckily the beer retains it's very light mouthfeel, almost whimsical the way it smoothly rolls through the mouth. It does leave your mouth a bit more dry though because of the citrus.

Drinkability: As the beer warms up it looses it's drinkability because of the overpowering grapefruit flavour that blocks out anything else. YES IPA's usually have a high bitterness, but this one is quite smooth and enjoyable while cold. When it becomes Warm it destroys any previous thoughts you may have on the drink.

livingregret, Aug 24, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

It's a murky yellow. It actually looks like a pilsner with dirt thrown in it. Were it not for the creamy white head, I'd think it's a contaminated beer. Though yellower than I expected, it's also more murky. It makes me think of cloudy piss. The lacing left as the foam settles let the hops be known.

The hops smell bitter and astingrent. The beer is straight hops. There's no fruitiness, no malty balance, and no additive novelty. It's like your original bitter. I think of liquor bitters. I think of Bitter Bill's face on the macro commercials. The nose is pure and unadulterated, but I offer no bonus points for that.

It's a plain beer and, although I love hoppy goodness, it's overly bitter and otherwise flavorless. I credit it for simplicity, but why would I repeatedly reach for plainness? It's bitter like an aspirin, and that's not cool.

The quality carbonation provides a fuzzy medium for the hops, so mouthfeel is the selling point. It's oddly the best thing about this bland beer. This is an overly simple IPA from a big-time brewery. I respect (and see most people on this site apprciate) a bland hop beer but I, for one, would like more on the medium of this feel.

I don't really like it, so I won't be drinking it much. It looks overbarleyed and tastes like a medicine while feeling as if it's soda. It's an eccentric experience--particularly for such a simple IPA--but that doesn't mean I'll revisit it.

marvin213, Oct 26, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

Dayman766, Nov 02, 2014
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.