Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,888 | Hads: 10,320
2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

poured into a schnifter. pours a light copper with about a finger of medium bodied white head which disappears quickly and leaves stringy lacing.

smells very yeasty, a bit of malt sweetness with an alright piney hop presence.

tastes only a tad piney. very well balanced malt and hop flavors. was hoping for more hop flavor in a ipa though. still not bad

this is one of the best beginner beers out there as it is readily available almost anywhere and is relatively inexpensive. not one of the best ipas but it certainly has earned its reputation.

I like other Stone products but this IPA is really nothing much. I've had much better IPAs for this price (Anderson Valley comes to mind). Definitely would expect more from west coast brewers. It is especially strange because their Ruination IPA is just delicious! My advice: go with Ruination IPA

Tough to review an interesting and very popular beer that you simply can't drink. In all the categories, smell, taste etc., I had the same reaction, "wow this is really interesting, even complex", but in the end I did not want another one. I am not a "hop head" so I don't relate to being hit over the head with the overbearing, piney, almost tree sap flavor of hops, which is what this beer is all about. I guess I'm one of those who appreciates the balance of flavors in beer and not too much of any one. Very hard to score this "interesting" beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into oskar blues pint glass.
Pours a brite gold color with an inch of rocky bone white head. Aroma, well, there isn't much going on here. Faint malt scent, muted pine hops. Hope this gets better. Flavor follows the scents, muddled hops, muted malt presence. Nice mouthfeel, I'm sure these fine bubbles would help scrub the bitterness from my pallate... if there was any. Overall, I've had american pale ales that blow this beer out of the water. I will add a caveat to this review, I started my night out with alpha king and had this beer right after eating some crackers to "cleanse" my pallate. I also expected an ipa to bring more to the party than it little brother. I will be revisiting this beer, but my initial impression is that stone may be needing a facelift with this brew.

Served on tap into a pint shaker glass. Poured an orangeish/amberish color with a nice foamy 1/4 inch head that quickly disapated. Nice lacing, however. Aromas of malt, hops, and pine. Taste was bitter hops, malt, some pine, and some citrus. Overall, this is not my fav. I tend to like my IPAs more balanced; this one is the west coast hops in your face. Not bad but...

I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...gotta pad this...I didn't think much of arroagant bastard either, I've heard rave after rave for this BC...I must try more or another offering of this same brew, I wouldn't want to tarnish a good reputation.

- Pardon the abbreviated review, this was sampled at a free Stone tasting. Special thanks to Big Z's in Huntington NY -

A - Light honey

S - Pine, resin, light citrus.

T - Piney, resiny. Touch of white bread.

M - Light. Moderate carbonation. Semi-sweet finish.

3.01/5  rDev -28.8%

It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin!

3.02/5  rDev -28.6%

This is ok, slightly with some malty sweetness to round out the hoppiness. However, it is still rather simple, straightfoward in citrusy hops, and too rough on the hops, a sharp, rough hop bitterness with little real flavour taking over in the finish, drying out my mought and making my tongue and throat feel like someone energetically rubbed them with a terrycloth towel.

It orange gold, it has a thin, white head shrinking to a foamy ring and a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly citrusy hops, especially grapefruit, with a hint of pine.

The taste is again mostly citrus - grapefruit - with pine and a light raisiny grain sweetness underneath, but not quite enough to carry it. It's far too bitter, with some malty sweetness to balance and a grain element in the finish, but too unbalanced and sharply bitter. Making a beer, even an IPA really bitter, simply does not to me equal good beer.

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light gold semi clear with a big white and very good lacing.

Its aroma is very hoppy with light notes of honey and citrus.

The taste is just overwhelmingly hoppy. Thats all that dominates throughout the whole tasting instead of a very nice bite at the end. Just too bitter to be a great IPA.

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz bottle poured into a nonic. Thick antique white head starts off around an inch and fades to a bare skim on the surface. The beer is a slightly cloudy gold. Head leaves just a little spotty lacing.

Aroma is predominantly hop, backed by a mixture of fruit, apple, banana, a little fresh baked white bread. It's nice but all pretty faint. I really have to stick my nose in and swirl to get it.

Taste is almost all hop, a little like sucking on a hop cone (and I really don't recommend sucking on hop cones). An astringent bitterness right up front. Again, a little apple and bread under the hops. Just enough malt to let you know that this isn't just a fizzy tincture of hop, but not nearly enough to provide any balance. Finish is dry with more bitterness sticking in the back of the throat. It'll be there for a long time. That's not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but I wish there were more malt to fill things out. The result is that it all comes across as harsh and thin. I think I like what their yeast is doing, it would be nice if it had more to do. There is some sense of the alcoholic strength near the end, but very understated, doesn't seem like a 6.9% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little watery. It helps drinkability, but is a little unsatisfying. I doubt I'll bother getting another one.

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

Bleh, IPA's just do not hit the buds right for me.
I will drink it, as I rarely toss a beverage.
I will not have another, luckily this one was a gift.

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from a refrigerator-cold bottle into a pint glass. Light amber color with a foamy head. Intense carbonation. My nose is not the most sensitive, but the smell was faint for an IPA: a hint of citrus and pine. The taste was bitter in the beginning, middle, and all through the long finish. IPA is not my favorite style, so keep that in mind. Fans of bitter hops will love this beer. Personally, I like a more balanced IPA, with a bit more sweetness and less bitterness.

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%

I generally like IPAs--Dogfish Head 60 minute, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, Great Lakes Erie Monster--but this was just too hoppy for me. The appearance is nice, and the smell is very floral and complex with plenty of dry hopping. Unlike the aforementioned IPAs, though, there's no notable malt sweetness, perhaps just enough to make the beer palatable (but not enjoyable). While the bitterness doesn't dry out your mouth, it comes close. If you're totally obsessed with hops or just want something extreme, you might like this beer.

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%

A- a medium amber color wih a .5-1 finger head AR- malty with some citrus and some pine T- same as the nose, except slightly more pronounced malt and an orange/slightly alcohol after taste M- medium bodied with a slight creamy feel O- highly overrated, just an average IPA I've has better and I've had worse

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Yellow with a creamy head.

S. Odd hop aroma that is somewhat off-putting.

T. Piney

M. Bitting carbonation that nearly completely disappears half way through the session.

D. Eh - I'm not a fan of the flavor or aroma profile. I'll pass this up.

My lowest scored IPA of the night (under Jai Alai, Alesmith, Sculpin, Columbus, Furious, Two Hearted, Founders Centennial, and Red Racer)

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

I gave this low marks because the taste just was not there, but after reading other reviews, I realize I must have gotten a bad batch or something. NY is far from CA, I don't know...

Appearance seemed normal, smell very good. The aroma promised a nice, full hoppy taste. But the taste was lacking. A very light hint, and then a little stronger taste of hops on the aftertaste, but pretty weak for any beer.

Like I said, this was not the same beer that everyone else here tasted. I will definitely try this one again, and give a fairer review.

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Overall, I'm very unimpressed by this beer. Definitely disappointed.

A: The beer pours a very nice golden brown from a 12 oz bottle with a 1.5-2 finger head after a slightly vigorous pour. The head disappates fairly quickly, but leaves some lacing along the side of the glass.

S: The first smell you get is citrus, specifically grapefruit. A light grassy/piney smell follows and you can pick out some bitter hops.

T: Similar to the nose, only with a very bitter hop flavor coming across. Grapefruit and citrus notes pair with grassy hops before the taste is overwhelmed by bitter notes. If you like your IPAs bitter, you may enjoy this. There's a little malt underlying the beer, but you have to look to find it. Overall, the flavor is fairly weak, though a touch of bitterness sticks with you through the finish.

M: Very carbonated and light.

O: Meh. If you enjoy really bitter IPAs, you'll be a fan. I enjoy bitter hop tastes, but the thinness of the beer and overall light flavor is disappointed. I wanted a lot more from Stone and the beer did not deliver.

3.13/5  rDev -26%

OK- what is it about this beer that people like so much? Ok, so was at the brewery and man is it cool. One of the coolest in America but this beer was just bitter at the finish. Not balanced, off aroma etc. And, normally when I am at a brewery everything just taste so much better. They have Gardens , FIRE, Water, Fire in Water you name it but I judge a brewery by their IPA and this didn't do it for me. Obviously, 2000 other reviewers disagree but I oh well.

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Pours a clear golden amber color with a foamy white head. The head sticks around lacing the glass. The smell is sweet and strong with well.... hops and citrus. The taste is of.... hops and finishes with a grapefruit citrus. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Drinkable.... yes.

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Bottle at home from my Great Brittish Beer Festival haul ... Colour is amber with pretty much no head ...light sweet hop nose ... Big malty front with a long juicy pine hop linger ... quite dry ... more like i expect froma pale ale than a IPA... Ok but not really hitting the spot for me

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Please be aware this review comes from a non Hop Head.

Had this one on tap from the Cock and Bull in Glendale, Ohio.

A: Amber in color, possible mahogany.
S: Very citrusy, a lot of grapefruit coming through. Some pine as well.
T: The hops are huge. The citrus/grapefruit hits at first and the grapefruit sticks around and turns to the hoppy bitterness.
M: The bitterness sticks around for a while and the beer packs a nice bite. The hops and citrus flavor mask the alcohol a bit, but the tongue feels the effects.
D: If you are a Hop Head, this is a great beer. If you are not, it's worth a shot. It does what a good, hoppy beer should do. Satisfies your taste buds and hangs around on your pallete a while.

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 355ml/12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pale (no surprise there) straw colour, with a decent head, however the head fades pretty sharpish. Mild carbonation with fine bubbles.

S - Clear hops, with light fruits. There is definite orange notes, and a lemony sharpness coming through.

T - The first flavours are fruity, predominantly lemon. Then it's all hops, providing a leveled bitterness to the end. The taste is quite earth, and the grassy hops add to this.

M - Quite light and fizzy on the tongue.

D - Far too hoppy for me, to the point of overpowering my taste buds. Not one of the best IPAs that I have tasted.

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%

stone ipa looks good out of the bottle great straw/orange color with good lacing... after that everything is just a bit above average the smell and taste is ok and drinkable.. it is smooth and a good beer ... but i think it is overrated. the hops are bitter/weak and the pine, grapefruit, and citrus aromas are just not there as i would expect from a" legendary" IPA. this is still a decent IPA...just not one i would keep on rotation.. but still try it if you can find it

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a deep golden amber color with a nice head. Musty, citrusy aroma is inviting. Leaves a nice lacing down the side of the glass as you savor it. Nicely balanced with a creamy mouth feel. A nice IPA. However, I happened to do a side by side comparison with Wachusett's IPA, and the Wachusett comes pretty damn close to this in quality and taste, and is about 2/3 the price.

- Updated 12/16/2008 -

Maybe my palate has changed since my original review 11/01/2004, but I find it difficult to enjoy this beer these days. Aroma is a bit sour, reminds me of homebrew for lack of a better description. Huge hoppiness with a grapefruit like twang, but the problem is that it lacks balance. A more assertative malt backbone would make it less of a one dimensional brew.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.