Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,152
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! This is a hop lovers dream. This india pale ale truly has it all. Color, complexity, flavor, aroma, and a mega sensation on the old taste buds.

The pour: Classic golden orange haze, the perfect color for an ipa. Nice head to as well which settles beautifully.

Smell: lemon zest, orange

Taste: Big bite of hops! What else can be said. Finishes great with a nice overtone of citrus.

Drinkability: Yes. I enjoy at home to avoid repercussions. My favorite session beer to date. Goes well with or without food.

The only downside is the price tag. Would enjoy more if they were priced more along its peers (ex: dogfish). That aside, its worth every penny, therefore I splurge when the Gargoyle calls. (706 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden with a full light tan/beige head, decent carbonation, and leaves nice rings of lace. HUGE citrusy grapefruit hop aroma and a huge citrusy grapefruit hop taste ! Full bodied, smooth, and creamy. Well worth buying again.

Much better than Stone Ruination IPA. Stone's standard IPA is much better balanced than Ruination.

(22 oz. bottle / $3.77) (355 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

Butch (1,534 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

A: bright amber yellow emblematic of quality IPAs. No lacing though.

S: amazing hop goodness. Ahhh!

T: Outstanding. A thorough, balanced representation of the style. More balanced that Firestone Union Jack and Russian River Blind Pig. Actually tastes like a stronger Blind Pig.

M: Decent not amazing.

O: The best most balanced IPA out there. I prefer this to DIPAs so I can have more than one. It's also available everywhere in SF at a good price which is a very good thing. (478 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Poped the cap on a 22oz bottle and shared with a friend. Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy golden color with a frothy three finger head. The head settles to a film after a few minutes. The smell is a lovely bouquet of hops. There are citrus and grassy notes. The first sip...a nice maltyness that quickly fades to the hops. This beer has a great backbone on it. The beer is hoppy but balanced. The mouth is nice. This beer is pretty much what I look for in an American IPA. (487 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Can I just say, I love Stone Brewery and everything they do :) I've tried a lot of their selection but it dawned on me that I hadn't tried this one yet and it was everything I hoped for.

Appearance: Light coppery in color with a 1 and 1/2 finger pillowy head. Slightly cloudy.

Smell: Hoppy and bitter - perhaps a slightly floral bitterness in there as well.

Taste: Awesome - everything I hoped for. Wonderfully bitter but not like an extreme type of hopped beer, so it's got a great balance. Normally I'd expect a bit more of a citrusy flavor in there, but it seems absent to me in this instance.

Mouthfeel: It goes down quite smoothly, a little sticky and creamy in the mouth and definitely leaves the mouth feeling sticky. Perfect.

Drinkability: I live a good IPA, so I would put this high. I don't know how much I'd care to drink in one night at 6.9% ABV, it'd likely knock me over. (892 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a nice deep gold, generous thick head with excellent retention and lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Inviting citrusy hop aromas, with an spicy side present that makes for an extremely appealing whiff.

T: Heavy handed with the hops, but produces a surprisingly relaxed aftertaste. Bit of spice directly up front, with not too much bite. An amazing balance is achieved for a beer that is presupposed to one side.

M: Creamy body with oily hop feel on the palate. Not a lengthy aftertaste, but refreshing and crisp to say the least.

D: Very nice-bodied IPA, so smooth it can be enjoyed one after another, just be mindful of the abv. Other than that, an absolutely amazing IPA, one that I think for its all-around great qualities puts it head and shoulders above many others. (797 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Stone IPA is the first brew to make me realize what I was missing. The complexity of flavor throughout really ballance a very strong hop profile. It enhances the hops and brings out all the various flavors. I never realized a beer could taste this way.

A little pricey, but worth every penny. A sure fire bet to be the tipping point for any drinker starting to indulge in micros. I'll still drink Titan IPA more often because I need to support the Colorado brewers. This is a hophead must. (493 characters)

12 oz bottle

Pours a golden color with a rocky 2 inch tall white head. After a few moments this head dies down and leaves a great deal of sticky icky clinging to the sides of the glass. Smell is of hops, and hops! Plenty of citrus aroma making me want to dive right in. Taste does not disappoint with some pine and grapefruit flavors. Mouthfeeling is just carbonated enough to make this one bitter, yet crisp and refreshing. (425 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with "enjoy by 12/23/07" stamped in very small print around the base of the bottle. The etching artwork of the gargoyle certainly gains your attention. The best by date should be more prominent.

This ipa poured a clear, golden color with a small, dissipating head that left nice lacing on the side of the conic glass.

When I opened the bottle, the smell of northwest, piney hops burst from the bottle and continued as I poured the ale into the glass. I thought I was smelling a Christmas tree.

With all of that superior hop flavor, the beer tasted incredibly balanced. Yes, the flavor of spicy hops dominated throughout, but the slightly sweet malt in the background certainly balanced everything nicely. I could still taste the hops on my tongue well after the first taste.

The ale was medium bodied with strong carbonation.

It is somewhat difficult to believe this ipa is 6.9% ABV; it is extremely drinkable. If not for the high ABV, this would be the ultimate session ale. (993 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice IPA. One of my favorite and I have tried quite a few. Come to think of it, I think its time for another. It definitely has a big hop flavor yet the aftertaste is not overlingering as some heavily hopped IPAs tend to be. The aroma is also very nice. Overall a very drinkable IPA when you want to sit down, relax and enjoy a quality beer. (348 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Im going to keep this short so I can enjoy this soley!

The pour was a nice golden, burnt orange color. Tall and heavy head stuck around for some time and leaves lacing as I gulp it down. First off, the nose is amazing. Potent hops, resiny aroma, strong pine, orange peel and some more of that medicinal marijuana smell. Not a big hop monster but definately a piney one. Very well balanced and ends semi dry. Medium bodied delight in a bottle.

A must have. I expected greatness from Stone Brewing, but they have brewed a top contender here. (541 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

A-thick dark gold with a thick and foamy off-white head. some lacing.

S-the second i started to break the seal, i could smell those grassy hops. it has a bold scent of stale grass smelling hops. smells wonderful and strong!

T-comes in with a wonderfully strong hit of grassy yet citrusy hops. has almost an orange flavor to it. transforms in to a really great and clean bitterness. the after-taste is really citrusy and great as well. this is an instant classic. i love this taste so much. it has so many layers of quality to it.

M-great creamy and medium carbonation with a great creamy finish

D-wow i could drink this all night long. you know, i've seen this beer so many times and always passed it up because it was always there no matter where i was, i never had a sense of urgency to buy it. i regret turning my back to this beer for so long. this is amazing! i love it! it has a perfect ABV as well. i hope to have this again and again! (947 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I felt like I was strolling along a hop field when I pour this beer and got a hint of the aroma. Hops, hops, hops, the floral bouquet of the hops are awesome!! The beer looks great as well, a good head on top of the golden brew with a slight cloudiness. Oh man, the taste is gooood. The character of the hops just taste fresh and citrus aftertaste with a feeling of hops blossomming on the roof of my mouth. The citrus and floral tones feel like a slight burn but a good one. The beer is very drinkable and a great IPA. (519 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a thick white head. Awesome lacing.

The aroma smacks you in the face with piney citrusy hops. There is also some earthiness along with caramel.

The flavor is pine and grapefruit but giving way to some caramel. There is a certain earthy flavor present as well. Strong bitterness throughout leading to a drying finish. Mouthfeel is good for the style.

Overall this is one of my favorite IPA's. It is extremely smooth and each sip leaves you wanting more. It would be easy to down several of these in a sitting. (578 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden amber with a pure white head that clings to the pint glass. The aroma brings the first notion that this ale is world-class. The hops jump out at you and pull you in for the taste, which is even better. The excessive dry-hopping produces a powerful IPA-worthy bitterness that somehow manages to be completely smoothed out by the mild malt character. Medium to light body with a serene crispness. This easily makes my top 3 IPA list. There should be a picture of this brew in the dictionary under India Pale Ale. Mission accomplished, Stone. (546 characters)

22 oz. bottle into a tulip; no freshness date

P: Pours deep straw from the bottle, and sits honey gold in the glass. Tall, statuesque white head thats rocky and comprised of medium-sized bubbles. Very good retention, and finally settles to form a halo with a thin film in the middle. Great lacework!

A: Toasty malts, mouth-watering pungeant hops that come off citrusy, piney, and a bit floral. Also some honey and grass underneath.

T: Obviously, the hops dominate throughout. But there is a nice, toasted bready malt spine that sets a solid foundation. Hop flavors consist of grapefruit, orange, lemon and some flowers. Some grassy notes are buried under there as well, and there is some honey that seems to flash towards the back end. Each sip is magnetizing! Finish is exquisitely dry and features some great hop bitterness to play off of some of the sweeter notes. Some hop oil residue is left on the tongue that leaves my whole mouth tingling on the way out. Absolutely outstanding!

M: Medium-full bodied, a bit creamy, smooth and moderately carbonated.

D: Drinkability is just plain great! How could this not be easy to drink? A 22 oz. bottle just ain't enough.

Notes: This is one fantastic IPA. Once again, Stone doesn't disappoint. Hop domination is the goal here, but the underlying malt makes it all possible. Delicious hop flavors just seem to dance on the tongue, but isn't one-dimensional due to the supporting flavors that add some depth. Highly recommended (1,476 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a sixer of this when I was in WI.

A: Yellowish orange with solid, but not too much carbonation. Bright white 1 inch head on top. Drifts down to a lace quickly.

S: Tangerine and orange with a hint of pine. Slight honey sweetness. Strong aromatics

T: Beautiful hop profile with orange, tangerine, grapefruit and even some pine. Very flavorful. The malts are present, but more w/ a light, honey sweetness. Definitely a West Coast IPA. A strong bitterness in the end, but doesn't stick around too long.

M: Lighter bodied IPA w/ good carbonation. Crisp and clean.

D: An exceptional IPA with fabulous flavors. Would like a hint more aroma though. The appearnce was solid, but not the amount of head I was looking for. Overall, this is a hop lovers dream, with tons of hoppy flavors. A showcase of the American hop as it should be. I will buy this again and again. Please start distributing in Minnesota. (913 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A – A gorgeous hazy orange-yellow with a very large, very nice eggshell head that leaves just beautiful lacing. She’s a looker this one.

S – This is one of the best smelling IPAs I have ever smelled. Really, one of the best smelling beers I’ve ever smelled. Clean and super-hopped with a fragrance that just explodes into your nostrils. The hops smell juicy and biting, citrusy and fruity and highly floral.

T – The flavor is idyllic. This is just a model IPA, grapefruit and lemon, grass and pine, and a lovely bitterness that just makes you want to stand up and give an ovation. Just a glorious IPA, bravo Stone.

M – The mouthfeel is medium in body and the carbonation gives it a silky smooth aspect; it is lightly sticky as well and dwells on the tongue and palate for a moment before going down. Great mouthfeel. Playful, fluffy, lush, dry finish.

O – This just so completely wonderful. One of the best IPA’s I have ever had, and, in my opinion, one of the standard bearers for IPAs. I love stone. I love this IPA. Go beer! (1,047 characters)

Pour - is excellent. Thick but pale. Moderate but lasting head
Smell - hop heaven
Taste - wonderful. My goto IPA. I think there's something missing but I don't know what... Like I haven't tasted it yet
Mouthfeel - very enjoyable. Not overly viscous.
Overall - for me the standard of well-hopped medium-strong beer.
Analysis - great. Could be better but not much. What is missing? (379 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle at home. The gargoyle is still one of my favorite brewery mascots.

A: Bright amber/gold with a little chill-haze. Nice thick head - lots of retention.
S: Perfect for an IPA. All hops in the nose, pure and fresh - floral and citrus scents abound.
T: Super hoppy, very bitter, piney. Lots of spiciness. The hop oil is the first to hit, followed by the strong alcohol - 6.9% is a lot for a straight up IPA. The malt sweetness comes through a little bit toward the end - some bready and sweet yeast flavorings.
M: Oily and mouth-coating. Not so much a chewy feel usually found with a ton of malt. This one is more crisp. Very refreshing.
D: Very easy. Only the high ABV keeps this from being a true session ale.

I love this beer.

I have to rank this as the best IPA I've reviewed so far. (819 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle with no freshness date. I like stone's labels but on an overly critical note, I must say the font they use on the bottle's neck is a little bit corny-looking.

Pours a straw/gold, with an exceptionally long lasting 1.5 finger head, leaving some of the most amazing lacing I've ever seen. This beer looks fantastic.

Aroma is dominated by resiny pine, with some citrus notes and whiffs of a fruity malt.

First taste impression is of spicy, pungently bitter American hops. Grapefruit is present , the malt backbone of the beer is strong and steps into the forefront in the second act, offering a bready, distinctly earthy finish that is crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is on point, moderate carbonation, very clean, fairly light in body and not overly oily.

I have not had this old favorite in some time now, and tasting it again I find it every bit as delicious as I remembered. Exceptionally delicious, it is crisp and ideally balanced. I find the malt profile of this beer slightly unusual with a welcome earthiness, rounding things out perfectly and setting this brew apart from its peers. In my mind an exemplary American IPA. (1,145 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

On the short list of my favorite beers. This one was a 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a gorgeous, absolutely clear, and incredibly rich, gold. With lively head and lacing. This baby clings all the way down.

The nose is incredibly floral, with citrus and berry notes. This is what hops smell like! Ok, that might be a lie... but this is what hoppy beer smells like! When it's Stone IPA! I love this... it doesn't quite enter the realm of some more potent DIPAs (or other styles with more intense yeast notes)... but it's slightly sweet and so, so so enticing.

And this is the IPA by which I judge all others. It is clearly of a different beast than Masala or HopDevil (with their toasted malt flavors and richer flavor), on the light side of medium bodied and with very moderate malt notes. which really just provide enough body and hint of sweetness to bring out the hop flavors. This beer really exemplifies the glory of hops. There's floral (particularly rose) hints all over the place, the citrus flavor is very mild (I get very little acid/ester here, considering), and the finish is clean, and there's a slightly sweet aftertaste (the only minor notch I take off on the drinkability side, there are slightly "cleaner" IPAs... although when the beer tastes this good, I'm ok with less than clean). The carbonation is medium to strong, but it breaks mid-swallow and is EXCEEDINGLY smooth on the back end. Where I've found other IPAs to reach an almost oily consistency, this never sticks out to that extent, but really smooths things out.

A great summer beer, or spring beer, or fall beer, or anytime beer. There's enough complexity to pair with a wide variety of offerings (although I'll always be inclined to think Mexican as a top choice). An absolute must for any hop fan, or anyone who's past the all-macro stage.

Heaven in a bottle. And it tastes better (that I can detect) from a bomber. And it's better than that on tap. (1,936 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Finally pulled the trigger on a 6-Pack of my first Stone product, after having a hankering for some IPA. There was a lot of hype with these products, could this brew live up to the high standards?

Appearance - Just gorgeous, rich orange color with a deep cloudy textrue. Lovely, thick white head tops it all off.

Smell - Very nice floral, citrus aroma with a deep spicey undertone.

Taste - Fantastic bold grapefruity/orange flavor with superbly balanced hops. The hops really do a great job of balancing the sweetness/power of the fruit flavors with a great bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - The consistency of the flavor is great and the aftertaste really leaves the mouth satisfied. The brew really packs a punch without being too "in your face".

Drinkability - This brewhaha just flat out ruled. Definetly going to have to check out the rest of the Stone line of ales after this winner and on a side note the bottle is top quality too (etched graphics over a pasted label=top notch). I look forward to pairing this bad boy against a local fav Hopdevil Ale from Victory next week. Enjoy! (1,101 characters)

I had this one on tap at the Epic Bistro in Kalamazoo

I got a pint of this and after the first smell I knew I was going to enjoy this. Not as highly hopped as it's IIPA brethren but still reeked of centennials. The tasted was exceptional and the drink ability of this beer was incredible. I had one but I felt like I could have had 10. The bitterness imparted by the magnum hops was so smooth I couldn't believe this had as many IBUs as advertised.

The six packs in my area are a little pricey but it's worth the price. Get this one for a nice treat, you won't regret it. (574 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.