Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,160
4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

I purchased a 22oz bomber of this from Ziggy’s in Chattanooga. I have to make a pretty decent trip to get anything over 6.0% abv but it’s usually well worth it.

This pours out a very lightly murky, pale yellow/orange. A beautiful bubbly head rolls up 2 ½ fingers high. Small zippy carbonation bubbles rise rapidly to the top. Lacing forms in rings and clings beautifully. Appearance is well in order for the style.

As soon as the bottle is opened the odors rush out and roughly massage and entice my sense of smell. God, I love the way this beer smells. Like standing in the middle of an orange orchid or something. A sweet malty smell is detectable in the background but those fresh, delicious smelling hop fragrances take center stage.

This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Just enough sweet malt background here to keep this from tasting overly-hopped. Taste is astringent as it plays across the front of my tongue, then a mild sweetness glides over but is put in a choke hold by the diversity of hop flavors I detect. Apricot notes/strong citrusy fruity notes as well as juicy pine and floral flavors dance over my tastebuds. Aftertaste is dominantly citrus. Mouthfeel is refreshing and dry without being a cotton-mouth choker. No alcohol taste is present to me at all.

This is one of my favorite beers, definitely the best non-imperial IPA I’ve tasted to date. To be honest with you I like this one just about as much as Ruination depending on what I’m in the mood for. This one being a little more balanced and aggressively hopped yet still sessionable without destroying my taste buds or dehydrating my tongue. If I was rating strictly on enthusiasm Stone IPA would get straight 5’s. (1,713 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

One fateful night I had this beer at Yard House. From the moment I saw it, with its golden color and ample head, it seemed like a special brew. I took a whiff, and noticed scents of pine, pineapple, and grapefruit. Upon tasting, I discovered a beautiful hop bouquet colored with shades of pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, pine nuts, and peach. The hop bitterness was quite pleasant and intense without becoming acerbic, as many IPAs do. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth, even syrupy but not too much so. As far as drinkability, I felt like I could pound a few more, but I had to drive :). I let my friend have a taste, and he thought it was very good even though he doesn't care for IPAs.

Overall, I'd say this is the gold standard in American IPAs. Hoppy as hell, but in the nicest way possible. A must have for all the hopheads out there. (841 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Served as a sample at the Penn Festival. The beer poured a golden blonde. The smell was of hops and more hops. The taste was very hoppy.........just about the perfect amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel was quite smooth. The drinkability was about as good as possible.........zero alcohol for almost 7%, and great sessionability.

Stone keeps making great beers, and next to the Bastard, this is probably my favorite of the beers they've made. Stone has created one of the truly great American IPAs. (501 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

stone is not available in illinois, atleast not to my knowledge so a buddy of mine picked me up on a trip to ohio. the look of it is great, has a nice slightly orangish/gold cloudyness to it with a nice fluffy white head, and it smells flipping great, just a wonderful cascade of hop aroma, very light and not overpowering earthy hopness to it. taste is great too, just a fulll bodied flavor, not to strong, not to light flavor, it is one of the easiest to drink ipa's too, alot of your really really strong ipa's are hard to get through the bottle cause of the bitterness or the alcohol but this one is an absolute world class beer. just wish it were available locally (669 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the IPA that got me into hoppier beers to begin with. When i was younger, i had Ranger IPA and thought very little of IPAs till my uncle (from California) got me a Stone sampler which included this flagship IPA. I will TRY to rate this IPA as objectively as possible... It pours a nice honey with very little bubbles. About a 2 finger creamy-white head with medium lacing. Tastes start with a strong hop presence (duh) then onto slight fruit notes, maybe a faint bit of apricot. The mouthfeel is whole and pleasant. Overall a very good IPA. Anyone who is thinking of trying an IPA, I recommend this one. Honestly, one of the best IPAs out there and one of my personal favorites, when i can get it. (705 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

22oz bomber from The Lighthouse in Manchester, Maine. Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a thin film of off-white head that leaves some lace. Smells amazing - orange, grapefruit etc hops dominate for sure with just the slightest hint of malt. Bright citrussy hops dominate the flavor - orange, grapfruit, and slight pith. Slight caramel and biscuit malt help to make the hops not overpowering. Nonetheless, hops dominate and create perhaps one of the finest hop flavors in any beer I've ever had. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. An easier drinker than expected, considering the ABV and big flavor. Perhaps one of the finest IPAs I have ever had. Phenomenal in almost every way. (682 characters)

What a great beer.

Beer poured with a creamy white 2 finger head. The head did slowly fade back into the beer and left an 1/8th inch skim across the top. Nice ribs of lacing all the way down the glass. Very clear golden amber color. Slight visible carbonation.

Aroma was spot on. Spicy, Floral and citrus notes. (Grapefruit) very fresh scent.

Flavor was approaching perfection. Nice citrus spicy bite out of the shoot. Then a moment of spiciness. White pepper. Then a nice malt sweetness that is followed by the hop bitterness that lingers. Just a joy to drink front to back. A slight spicy tone sticks with the hop lingering effect. You can almost feel the hop oils on your tongue.

Mouth feel is light in body but BIG on flavor. Smooth feel to the beer and the drinkability is amazing.

This is among my favorite IPA's.

Greenflash, Smuttynose and Stone IPA. Don't miss any of these. (888 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy head and great lacing.

Hop aroma is strong and citrusy. Earthy, piney notes are also upfront and the malt sweetness is present in the nose.

Bitter straightforward hops are the profile of this IPA. Good balance though, and the finish is dry and quenching.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium to soft carbonation. Very drinkable and recommended highly. (400 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Stone IPA how can you go wrong. You can smell the hops in this one, and its got great character to back it up. I am a hop head, and was very satisfied after having my first Stone IPA years ago, and after having one tonight, had to rate it.

If you like IPA's this is a no brainer! Great appearance, not too carbonated, and will simply blow you away. (349 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Orange in color with a white head a really good lace.

S: Citrus scent.

T: Orange and other citrus flavors with a good amount of hops from beginning to end. Really clean and smooth.

MF: Medium light body with medium carbonation. Crisp, refreshing, smooth and clean with a hoppy feel the whole time. Drinkable with a light and dry finish.

O: One of my favorite IPAs. I love how there are hops all throughout this beer but it doesn't over power it. A good IPA for any time, even summer. (494 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Irecently re-discovered this beer and was reminded, as I took my first sniff in awhile, why this is my standard for american ipa. With fresh bottles easily accessable and exceedingly more bars carrying stone products on draft there's no excuse for any to miss out on this one.

color: straw to gold with a peachy hue. tight, white head.

aroma: slightly sweet initially, but immediately slapped me with fresh hoppy funk and a little estery zest.(chinook? galena?) In the back I find mixed nut and old hop/cheese notes.

taste: exploding with fresh and seperate malt and hop flavors. beautifully balanced in the mouth and at the finish leaving a brand of that hop profile seared into the brain for days. I love the fact that I'm intrigued, but not overwhelmed with complexity. One with a more tuned pallate could peel away at this one for a while, but you still can't help needing to just drink the damn thing.

In THIS style, I find myself hard-pressed to find a better beer.
I think I'm going to need some cashews and stilton cheese with this one next time. (1,068 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance was deep, slightly cloudy orange. Nice head that lingers on the glass. Smell was fresh hoppy and bright. Taste was fresh popping citrus and hops, very balanced bitterness. Some malty, toasty flavors in the background. Hops settle down for a clean aftertaste. Nice creamy mouthfeel, the beer rolls around and feels smooth. Overall a very drinkable, distinct IPA on par with the best I have ever had. I would definately recommend this beer to others, even those who are not huge hops fans. (498 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow. Honey colored, thick creamy white, effervescent bubbling. Smell? Wow. Sweet malt hidden beneath a comfortable thick blanket of hops. The taste is malty with a nice heavy hop finish. Mouthfeel is sweet but not cloying, and pleasantly hoppy without being bitter. Very drinkable, very enjoyable. (297 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

The pine and grapefruit is apparent in the flavor. Smells very hoppy. The head looks soft and pillowy, like a really comfortable mattress, like I could sleep on it. A hoppy cloud. Super clear beer. The taste sticks around in my mouth, which is a good thing. (257 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Hands down my favorite IPA right now. Very clean, sweet, and hoppy. Nice citrus and hop aroma. Cloudy light amber color, almost looks like a hefeweizen. Moderate carbonation. I cant express in words how much I love this beer. If you don't like this IPA, buy a six pack of Smirnoff Ice and rent The Notebook. (307 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

A- great, pours with that thin, fluffy head and left delicate lacing. color was an amazing amber with a perfect amount of haze.
S- like fresh hops, really great.
T- wonderful! Most IPAs hit that one "oh, hops!" and is otherwise not that great. but this one had a great rounded hop flavor like a taste experience within the overall beer tasting experience.
m- great, with the maltiness coming up after the hops and filling the mouth. doesn't leave any stickiness on the tongue either, just washes down extraordinarily well.
D- really good if you're a hophead. i like to keep things in balance, so i doubt i could session this all night (and i'd end up on the lawn) but it's so good I'm sure people do all the time. (714 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Pours an orangish yellow, nice creamy head that leaves great lacing. Smells of very floral hops, grapefruit, citrus, pansies, orange, cannabis. Tastes of hoppy moderately sweet malt with a nice citrusy bitterness. Same aromas picked up in the taste, not too much malt. Finishes dry with a resiny hoppiness in the back of the throat.

An absolute amazing beer, so many aromas and flavors from the hops. Just enough malt character to somewhat balance the beer, but overall, hops galore. Definitely my favorite IPA. (512 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Few regular IPAs are as angry as this one. A Pine hop citrus monster with not alot of sweetness but usually very refreshing. Its not always consistant on tap, but its more consistant than most. If O'Dells IPA and Firestone IPA are running too sweet on tap for my mood, I'll usually end up drinking this. If it's stone, its going to be hoppy or alcoholic. (354 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Pours with a nice head which quickly fell away. The color was a golden straw - reminded me of my younger days helping my uncle pitch hay in the fall.

The smell was unbelievably good - strong floral and citrus, cloves and grapefruit... a slight earthy sour smell that I just couldn't place, but it didn't distract.

The taste didn't knock me over with hops - but I literally shivered with goose bumps at the fantastic flavor. This is a well balanced IPA - a decent combo of bitterness from the hops, and a mix of citrus and floral tastes. Orange peels, lemon zest, grapefruit and the perfect amount of hops. The malt base is enough to keep everything together.

Excellent IPA. (683 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

This poured a slightly cloudy orange with a finger thick head, lots of lacing. Smell is a hop bomb, a little piney with a touch of grapefruit. The grapefruit is prevelant in the taste, with a slight malty hint in the aftertaste, very tasty. Strangely this brew is actually refreshing and enjoyable to drink which is unusual for heavily hopped brews.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and will get more on my next trip south. (424 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

heard a lot about this one, time to give it a whirl.

pours a light slightly cloudy yellow straw/orange color with big white head. not as dark as i expected. looks pretty good. lace cakes the entire glass.

smells like pungeant and spicy hops. very aromatic. one of the strongest smelling beers i've had, smells excellent for a hop fiend like myself.

taste is interesting and complex. spicy punchy hops beat the crap out of your tongue first. nice piney/earthy hops. slightly grassy. mild and odd(but delicious) fruit somewhere behind those hops. finishes nice and dry with strong yeasty/spicy flavor. wow. this is one hell of an intense IPA.
mouthfeel is about perfect. almost creamy and extremely smooth. nice dry hoppy finish keeps the drinkability high also. what a big beer, a must for hop fiends!
by the way- like this? try Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA. (874 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Thank goodness for the publick house, finally you can buy a great single beer without some jerk doubling the price on you, or the beer being 2 years old

A- Very pale colored, this beer starts off with a decent head which eventually vanishes, holds its lacing nicely, pleasant appearance but not the best quality of this brew
S- It smells like a forest of hops, I can't explain it is the smell of a stone beer, ruination has that same smell, only stronger of course

T- Just citrusy hops that overtake the tastebuds, so good, not excessively bitter which makes it easier to drink, good balancing act by the malt but that is all, so fresh and delicious I ended up drinking this too fast

F- Slightly seltzery mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation finish, medium body, good for the style.

D- With its crisp finish, delicious taste, and a not too heavy feel I could easily have a few of these, but not worth having more than 3 as the delicious taste will be for not after you have burned your taste buds (998 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

The nose on this beer makes my mouth water.

Well rounded with a nice finish. They balanced the bitterness very well. Even though is well balanced, it is still a bit heavy so 1-2 is enough for the night, but its all about quality, not quantity. I strive to one day brew 1/2 as good beer as this.

I hope they brew this in heaven. (331 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stone Brewing IPA from San Diego

A - Hazy light golden with a nice white head.

S - Excessively hoppy with strong pine notes. Dank/pungent herbal aroma.

T - Extreme hops right away. Moderate bitterness with a dry yet refreshing finish.

O - One of the best beers I've had. Very anxious to try more Stone Brewing products. (323 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Alright ill get straight to the point. I love this beer! Im already a fan of hoppy ales/lagers especially IPAs and this is by far one of the best out there in my opinion. Pours that classis IPA orange color. Smells of wonderful hops. The taste is great you have the classic crisp hoppy flavor and its not overwhelmed by the alcohol. I could enjoy this one year round for sure. When i compare it to the ruination IPA from stone i like this one better suprisingly because of the lower alcohol that doesnt take away taste from all the hops. But if your looking for a little extra buzz go with the Ruination. You wont go wrong either way trust me. Oh and this ones a little bit cheaper as far as i know. Once again props to stone. without them and other micro's we would be stuck in piss water hell with bud,coors, and miller (821 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.