Follow our progress ...

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,943 | Ratings: 10,654
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everything an IPA should be. Stone never disappoints me.

Pale golden color, with a lovely white head with good lacing. Very bold citrus and pine, with a good sweet malt balance. Leaves a wonderfully dry finish, making you crave more. A great all around IPA that is enjoyable all year round

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 3/4" off-white head that left a nice lacing over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Pine and citrus hops as well as honey malt.

T: The bitterness is aggressive up front but this quickly gives way to citrus hops in the middle and a finish with some pine and semi-sweet honey and nutty malt. Very interesting, and it keeps you coming back to re-experience the unique flavour profile. At 6.9% ABV, this beer hides the alcohol very well.

M: Medium viscosity and medium level of carbonation.

O: Very impressive IPA. More like an Imperial IPA meal in a glass, but who am I to complain.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. brown bottle pored into my favorite stone 9th anniversery pint glass. it pores a clear but slightly hazzy golden color with great head retention threw out the time. smell is just pure hops, nothing else. the taste is as of no surprise - great hops. a great balance between the hops and malts. no bitterness at all. just pure hop sweetness to my tounge. everything about this beer i love. it is allways a regular in my fridge. this beer will be near my side in my coffin.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

clean yellowish pour, lots of head of medium bubbles, scent is strong and floral, citrusy like canned grapefruit juice, smells sweet.

incredibly balanced flavour. not as sweet as the nose suggested, a little bit tart after you take a sip and wait. Amazing that it doesn't need some food to tame it. just a exceptionally drinkable, clean beer. Reminds me of the "whoop pass ipa" but toned down with less alcohol and strong flavor.

Stone IPA

This beer generally pours straight out of the bottle into my mouth.

The smell of Stone IPA is subtle, straight forward, cold, fresh and hoppy.

There are no chocolaty or flowery fruit flavors here, just full uninhibited beer taste with a double dose of biting hops and complimentary malt tones. There are mild hints of crisp apple to me.

A mouthful of this is perfectly balanced and refreshing; it is clean and satisfying with a complimenting aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Every sip is consistently good.

This beer is my everyday beverage. I think it is the perfect brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Inch and a half head with a gorgeous hazy golden pour.

S - Hops burst with citrus and pine, very well balanced between the two (this being one of the first IPA's i can really find myself thinking grapefruit as opposed to orange)

T - Very similar to the aroma with the malt flavor coming forward more than i expected based on the aroma. This balances out the flavor profile extremely well.

M - Light to Medium body with a drying finish.

O - This west coast IPA really shines in my opinion. As my palate matures I'm sure I will find myself reaching for stronger doubles and imperial IPAs but for the moment this seems to be my comfort level.

4.71/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

To me, this is what IPAs are all about! Poured heavy into a pint glass from a bottle, it looks wonderful with a deep golden/ amber color. It also has a nice thick foamy head. It has a sweet grassy smell with a slight hint of citrus. The taste is absolutely wonderful! Its smooth and fresh with a crisp bite and smooth notes of pine and citrus. I love how well everything is blended together and lays out perfectly. Truly a world class IPA! Without a doubt one of my new favorites!

4.71/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip, best before 8/26/13 nice. Poured down the center and got a massive 2 inch white billowy head, that leaves beautiful lacing. The beer itself is a yellow orange and a little hazy. The smell is grapefruit, pine, tangerine, and pineapple. Taste is all of that, with grapefruit being most dominant in the beginning and the end, with the other flavors lending a hand in the middle. Body is medium, plenty of life, on the dry side, and very drinkable. This really one of the greats! Like someone else said, a bench mark. I haven't had many better.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Very light for an IPA. Slightly chalky with a light copper glow. Love the bottle look with the devil and the green.

S- Very strong floral notes, only a slight hint of citrus. As far as the hoppy smell goes, it is perfect. Strong marijuana-skunk smell.

T- Exceptional bitter bite. Still very strong on the floral notes in the taste of the beer. One taste made me thirstier.

M- Not too heavy, not too light. Just the right about of crispy carbonated bite to compliment the bitterness of the hops.

O- This is a great IPA. This would be my go to beer for drinking IPA's but it is not very readily available in my area. I must try more beers from this brewery.

Exceptional IPA.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle. Fancy painted label with loads of definitions and the usual (nice bottle), but no freshness date. Poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, but thick looking, brillian amber with a good 2-3 finger clumpy, fluffy, creamy, sticky white foam lace. Excellent head retention! I recommend that you pour this beer hard, but controlled for max. eye candy.

Smell: Hop aromas are off the hook! Wonderfully aromatic, a bit pungent, with strong herbal / spice characters. Loads of thick fruity esters join the fun, too. I think Stone should bottle this scent and market it as a beergeek cologne.

Taste: First thing that hits the palate is hop spice. It's herbally and there's lot of it -- a bit piney, too. There's a background peak of grassy hop flavours, and a near puckering effect -- I know George Carlin hates this word (screw him), but this beer is "zesty!" and one hoppy-ass beer, to say the least. (drink this beer and burp ... gotta love that)

Mouthfeel is so damn smooth, very creamy, a bit syrupy and big all around.

Malt-wise, things get nicely balanced with a very full and rich body and moderate sweetness, in comparison to the hops. Middle fruity flavour, akin to pineapple. Big bready and yeast-like finish (a tad too much, but forgivable), going dry with residual hop flavours still kicking ass all over your palate.

Notes: Simply put ... this is one insane IPA, and not for the weak palate. To compare it to other IPAs would be silly, however I think this sums it up ... Once Stone comes into a new market it's like a challenge to other brewers in the area: "I know my big beers are bigger and better than yours, but let's see yours anyway. I promise not to laugh." Oh ... and this is just their standard IPA doing the speaking.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap. Pours with hues of golden straw, and firey orange. Topped with a resiny frothy with head. Strong pungent hop aroma. Mostly pine, and then some more pine, and maybe some pine. I think I get some peachy notes too. Very clean bitterness. Crisp. First class all the way.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: A deep hazy amber/orange coloration with an luscious ivory head leaving a thin but enduring retention, and a lovely speckled lacing that also lingers long into the drink

Nose: WOW, this is a hop bomb, must be the dry hopping, I'm smelling definite West Coast hops, but nothing particular, probably Cascade, but also some mellower ones on the nose, such as Amarillo or Centennial. Also in the nose is a delicate balance between herbal and floral hop elements, a sweet, pineapple, lemon, and grapefruit citric hop element, and balanced by a sweet malty characteristic rounding out the aroma into one of the best smelling IPA's I've been able to lay my hands on.

Taste: A gentle malt sweetness is apparent up front, mixed with a definite taste of pine and grapefruit in CLASSIC west coast IPA fashion. Mingled in are strong citrus notes and a nice, full hop finish that doesn't blast too hard.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy, but with a nice dry bite on the finish

Overall: One of the best traditional west coast IPA's out there, hard to top.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

20oz pint poured ice cold at Suspenders, NYC Financial District.

In a frosty pint glass, I couldnt get a great look at this beer but the peachy amber color with rocky head looked nice. Lacing down the glass.

Wonderfully floral and sweet aroma wafted towards me, despite the overchilledness. As it warmed some (it was too good for me to let it last long enough to really get warm), the aromas became more complex, yeasty, fruity, piney, and a touch funky.

This beer is definitely in the running for my favorite American IPA. It is a kaleidoscope of flavor, all manner of hoppy bitter fruity piney flavors, balanced from start to finish with just the right note of sweetness...this is not a sweet beer by any means. It is a fabulously flavorful bitter beer. But sweet notes peek in just when they are needed to provide the perfect balance. Insanely drinkable. Now I know exactly what to drink when I am on Wall St.

Edit: From a bottle the promise is upheld. Notes I didn't mention: the fruit is definitely pineapple and grapefruit. Fantastic beer!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into the DFH snifter.

Appearance is translucent deep amber/copper with a thick, condensed whitest of white heads (great retention throughout) - truly a good looking beer. Smell contains strong citrus notes, some floral and some toastiness as well, I can't quite put a finger on it. Up front the taste is herbal and piney...hops are there, but not full blown...flavor is great and the bitterness comes through on the finish. Mouthfeel is what I like to call snappy. Decent carbonation that tickles your mouth, not too thick, not too thin. The balance of this beer is the ultimate strength but the complexity makes for an intriguing experience. Just a great beer overall with great drinkability.

To sum up in three words: Dry hopped awesomeness.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A-Very clear for a ipa.Nice thick creamy head.Alot of bubbles ,nice retention.

T-Nice and hoppy,very Citrusy and a faint aftertaste of a flowery taste.

S-Very flowery and citrus(grapefruit and maybe oranges)

M-Great! Everything I love in a ipa, this beer has.

D-Recomended to anyone that loves a nce no thrills ipa.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

From what I understand this IPA is legen wait for it dary and I was not disappointed. Nice bright golden tan color with tantilizing thick head. Smells like heaven that is if heaven is a hop factory. Unbelievable hoppy, bittery flavor with hints of caramel and I think pine cones. Feels great to drink not to thick or carbonated and after you drink it you feel like a hop breathing dragon. I would like to drink these all day but in reality I could probably only handel two or three in a sitting. Looking forward to many more of these tasty treats.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This is another world class beer from Stone. Take it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes or so before opening it, then lavish yourself in the beautiful floral aroma of hops. It's readily available in six packs in my area, so I'm spoiled. It has the hoppy, citrusy flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA. I've used this beer on four occassions to introduce a BMC type to real beer. Each time was successful.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

P: Orange copper body big creamy offwhite head. Slightly hazy.

S: hopped up nose with fresh citrus and tropical fruit hops with wood and hints of earthy/floral hops. The glass has somewhat of an aroma and makes it hard to dissect. Crisp and fresh.

T/M: Super fresh grapefruit, juicy tropical fruits, pears, mangos, pineapple, hints of honey, fresh pine needles and pine resin. Malt is toasty and doughy hints of sour dough. Creamy delicious mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Finish is smooth and dry with a pleasant explosion of hops from start to finish.

O: I was glad to see this on tap at a restraints while visiting South Carolina a for my relocation. First Stone beer and I can say it was freaking great. Everything I look for in an IPA. Fresh and hopped up. I look forward to living in this state. Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has a light orange color, almost completely clear. I poured aggresively but still didn't get a very large head. Still looks tasty though.
The aroma from this beer is probably the best I've encountered or my sense of smell is really on today : ). First hit is a huge wallop of citrus. Has a little bit of grapefruit but it doesn't make up the bulk of the citrus. It also seems like their is a friggin huge bouquet of flowers in there somewhere. Light carmel malts and slight hints of pale malt as well, along with subdues alcohol spices.
Taste is delicious. Seems to very well balanced. Strong malt presence up front. Slight hints of carmel. This is quickly met by a huge hop explosion which tastes strong at first but ends up smoothing itself off by the aftertaste. Hops are floral and sort of piney. Not as much citrus in the taste as in the smell but still some. Alcohol spices are somewhat present on the finish but lightly so.
A medium-light mouthfeel. Extremely easy drinking.
Big Thanks to Quaffer hooking me up.

I just got my hands on another one and it was every bit of delicious as before. Had to come bump the scores a little bit.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

An excellent Westcoast IPA. Potent, hoppy, but extremely drinkable.

The body is clear and slightly amber with a fantastic bone-white head that laces well.

The aroma is an explosion of hops, citrusy but still tamed by a sweet malty nose hidden in the background -- beautiful.

The flavor is smooth and well-balanced, from the aroma I expected to be blasted with hop bitterness, but the generous malt background makes this IPA smooth and delicious with a perfect hot bite.

The body is generous making this beer surprising creamy on the palate, but not cloying. This IPA was so drinkable that I kick myself for not bringing another bottle back with me from my trip to the Westcoast.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very lovely copper coloration. The head was off white slightly honey colored. The head was thick and had good retention. Very nice streaks of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: This beer is a hop bomb on smell. Spicy floral hops on a bed of malty citric sweetness. Dam this is good stuff.

Taste: The beer punches with intial spicy hops slightly piney notes. Then there is citrus goodness. This breaks into malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The beer is meduim bodied and has a slightly oily texture to the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is just an excellent IPA all around. The taste is very well balanced. I am looking forward to more.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Looks like a nice crisp clear IPA, on the light side, not too dark.

S - Sweet smell of hops! Love those hops. Smells fruity and sweet.

T - Very hoppy, but not over the top. Nice light IPA with plenty of hop power.

M - Very nice on the toungue. Smooth and tasty.

D - Extremely drinkable, maybe too drinkable. Very well balanced nice IPA, not trying to be something it isn't. I love Double IPAs, but this IPA is top notch.

Overall I was extremely pleased with this IPA. I would say for a plain IPA, it's better than the 60 Minute. I wish that I didn't have to go to MA for this beer, but it's worth the drive to Yankee Spirits! Can't wait to get my lips on this beer again!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bottle with no freshness date. I like the label, very cool.

Appearance is a golden yellow, with deep amber down the middle. Very long lasting, sticky, big bubbled head. Incredible lacing. This beer really looks near perfect.

I could smell this one the second I cracked the top. Huge hop aroma. Citrus and piney, this is what makes American IPA great. Just enough fuity, alcoholy malt underneat to not be a total hop bomb. This is the definition of the style.

Taste is, of course, of bitter, orange and lemony hops. They are spicy, just a bit sour like grapefruit and balanced oh so well by a backbone of doughy, light and crisp malt. Fills your mouth with great flavor! I was in total happiness drinking this. I could barely put it down...

Great mouthfeel. Oily, but not overdone. Coats the whole palate nicely. Drinkability is HUGE. I wish I savored this bomber a bit more, in fact.

In my mind, belongs in the top tier of go-to American IPAs. A must try for every beer lover.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks for letting me snag one of your bottles of this guy Andy! Pours a slightly hazy straw color with about a finger of white fluffy head. A big aroma of dry piney hops and citrus zest. The aroma very nicely blends dry and juicy aromas. Probably the most balanced IPA I've smelled in a while. This is like smelling a pine tree spayed with sweet tropical juice. The taste is perfect. It simply doesn't get better than this. Dry piney hops, dry bitter flavor with a lemony finish and slight citrus flavor. The mouthfeel is light and sharply carbonated. Nothing to argue with here. This is amazing. I want to be able to get this with my meal at Wendy's. I simply want this all the time. It's almost not fair that I can't drink this all the time.

Bottle

A - Golden amber. White frothy head.

S - Heavy hops - pine, grapefruit, resin. Toasted grain, malt

T - Heavily bitter with light sweetness. Grapefruit, pine. Bitter finish.

O/ M - Great IPA! Velvety, creamy medium mouthfeel and body. Very smooth for IBU of 70+. One of my favorites!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.