Join our email list →

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American IPA | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,911 | Hads: 10,436
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a light gold with a solid sustaining head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is very citrusy with a hint of caramel. Really nice hop bitterness comes through, leaving a solid aftertaste as well. Malt is not really apparent in the flavor, which is perfect for my taste. Imo, this is pretty much the paradigmatic west coast IPA: hoppy and delicious.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Kudos to Stone for creating such a fine tasting IPA. The beer looks and smells great, but the taste was the memorable and unique aspect of the beer. Well balanced and the hop flavors were both subtle and substantial, if that makes sense. You can definitely taste the hops, but not in an overwhelming manner. Definitely recommended drinking and not only to IPA fans.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange, nice carbonation. Light egg shell white head leaves a slight ring and nice lacing.

S: Strong musky hops with an excellent malt balance. Citrusy floral hop notes come through as it airs out.

T: Hops bite hard up front with a dry malt and hop finish. Sweet malt balance lingers.

M: Carb bubbles hit the throat, then hops dry it out. Last you get a sweet malt aftertaste.

D: Insanely drinkable for the amount of crisp hop bite. One of the best IPA's ever IMO, but for the style alone it is an IPA on steroids.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Ahh. The perfect and full bodied IPA. Stone IPA is special to me because it is the first IPA I ever had. Poured into my pint glass. The 22 oz. bottle pours a perfectly clear gold color with a nice thick white foamy head, about 2 inches thick that lingers for quite sometime. Eventually it settles to a very nice surface layer with excellent lace. There is definitely some hop bitterness going on here in both smell and taste. Nice, floral hoppy smell. Also strong citrus scents here. A crisp, frothy, creamy, and smooth taste. Flavors of hops and well... more hops along with some grapefruit. Also a slight bit of alcohol can be tasted as well as some malty hints. Just the right amount of bitterness for an IPA. A bit of a dry and bitter aftertaste. A nice and warm feeling starts to creep up after a few sips. Has a crisp and frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finishes clean. This beer is surprisingly drinkable for all its hop bitterness. Simply delicious on your palate.

Eric

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Best by 11-24-08.. A little past, but I'll take my chances.

A- Pours a nice billowy, fluffy, thick white head with extreme lacing and great retention. The body is an orange/amber color with a hazy body.

S- I want to say this nose has some skunk on it, but I'm thinking it's maybe just hops. This is pretty unique for an Ipa. Big pear, pine notes, nice big hopiness with sweet malt peeking it's head.

T- Starts out with an excellent herbal character, almost clovy, with notes of orange, loads of pine and then transitions to an extremely dry finish which I'm just loving. Superb.

M- Light carbonation is good and the dry finish is great.

D- What a beer. Easily my new go-to IPA. Alcohol cannot be detected at all. Great beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big boy bottle poured into a pint glass. Gorgeous copper color, slight haze, generous slightly off-white head. Aggressive aroma, big hops, good citrus, floral. Not as clean of a finish as I think you see from a lot of IPAs, but I think that's a good thing as there's nothing to complain about with the after taste here. Another outstanding offering from Stone.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stone brews are all top notch and this one is no exception.it pours a hazy orange and imo is the perfect example of the styles appearance,nice head that retains and excellent lacing.

It smells of hops and citrus,more lemon oil than anything else.there isnt much in the way of malt but thats fine with me.

Taste is a hop punch in the face,not much malt for balance but balance is over rated imo.lemon is the next thing that hits me after the hops and bitter.

The mouthfeel is spot on to style to me,i would not call this a sessionable beer by any means but thats not what ipa's are all about anyways.If i had to give one knock on this beer it would be that it has a bit to much lemon oil but thats really nitpicking.

Overall, stone ipa is outstanding and is the standard by which all ipa's should be measured.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

This seems to be one of the staple IPAs according to hop heads I talk to. Decided to give it a try and must say it out works some Imperial/Double IPAs I have tried.

Poured into a "Sam Adams" Perfect Beer Glass.

Pale yellow with a small head. I LOVE the smell of this beer. If it was a cologne I could wear it!

The taste is hop heaven and it goes down smooth although I get a bit of a "tinny" after taste. Very light and not filling at all. I have to say I understand why this is a popular beer.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought a six pack of this beer, as I loved the other offering from Stone that I had (Stone RIS). As soon as I opened the bottle, the smell smacked me in the face, in a good way. Poured into a glass with only a small white head that quickly receded into a lacing. The beer itself was a nice golden yellow (not as dark as I would expect given the strong aroma) without any haze. The aroma, as mentioned before, is strong with floral and citrus notes everywhere and in great balance. Taste is also great. The hops hit upfront and give a grapfruit and citrus flavor that forms a nice base to this beer. Floral and piney notes also offer nice flavor to this beer. There is also a less noticable malty backbone which offers a nice caramel sweetness to this beer. The aftertaste is slighty bitter and very hoppy. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice bite of carbonation. Drinakability is great as for me as I cannot get enoguh of this beer. The alcohol is not even noticable.

Overall, probably the best IPA I have ever had. Strong flavors all in balance. Just an expectional example of the style. Would have every time I had an opportunity.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

Where have you been? I am waiting for you all my life and you have come upon me like the mysterious women in red, or maybe my california dreamin,or-- whoops back to sober web reality. This beer makes me swoon with delight and give thanks to the gods of hops that are thee stone folks.
to start with the mortal apects- color only does so much for me as this beer is a yellow-orangish color, circa psychedelic 1971. We quickly take it to another level. In the sublime sense, clarity is wonderful and the smell is a heavenly sweet smel of floral hops. Excellent carbonation and wonderful head and glass lacing. this beer imparts a perfectly balanced beer drinking experience. taste is sensational with strong floral sweet tones of wildflowers and fresh cut grass. The sweetness balanced with an intense but mellow bitterness lingers, and flows, lingers, and flows on the tongue and through the palate. Drinkability is exceedingly dangerously high. A top notch, memorable representation of the style. a session beer for professional drinkers, with a connesouiers character profile. Easily in my top ten. My current sublime trip of choice. cheers!

the classic stone ipa, this one a 12oz from a bottle into a snifter glass

this one is a staple in the diet when i can afford it, a nice strong pour brings a finger or two of white frothy head that lays on a body of gold clarity that is part of stone ipa. the lacing is not strong but thats ok and there is a little bit of legs to let you know it was there. the smell of citrus and grapefruit hit first small bits of pungent next and a slight sweet that follows. the taste is not let down by the smell at all, full of citrusey fruit tones and sharp hop bitterness jump out at you, it has a slight drop at the end of the sip but works with the punch you get from the first of the drink. the mouthfeel is very lively with lots of jumpy carbonation that attacks the tongue but if ate with spicey and i mean spicey food its not there at all. overall i love this beer, drinkability is outstanding and an easy everyday all day beer for me. one of my favs of stone hands down

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: citrusy, resiny American hops dominate with sweet malt in the background mellowing the hops and giving depth. Appearance: Hazy amber with a white creamy head and medium lace. Laces the glass all the way down. Flavor: starts with a blend of fruit, malt and hops and then the hops grow to dominate the finish with strong grapefruit flavors. There is malt sweetness and sweet fruit in the background. Very pleasantly flavored with a nice balance between the hops, malt and yeasty fruit. Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, refreshing, Overall: I would drink this again.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Magnifcant, how do they do it? Stone just knows how to make amazing beers that's all they make. I have never tasted one of their brews that I wasn't satisfied with. Pours a lucious copper tone with a screen of haze over it. My two finger head on the is a great complement of white clouds, and the retention is good here with lace already lining my glass I am ready to hop in. The hops are diffusing through the air coming for me like a trained asassin. Huge hop aroma with earthy tones I love it, some citrus and floral scents also intrigue my senses. First sip I love it, I am going to say right now this is my favorite all around IPA!!!! Yes, it's that good with the hops consuming most of my palate, the malt sweetness comes to save me from making a bitter beer face instantly forming a smile on my face. The hop resins make the mouthfeel a bit oily, but in a good way lubricating my palate to partake in one hell of a beer. Medium to light rediculously drinkable in every way imaginable. No off flavors only a hop head's dream beer is sitting in my pint glass right now.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Two words: big and citrus. This one isn't the most complex IPA out there, but it should be held as the benchmark. Big citrusy flavor cascade down the tongue with a malt balance. A dollop of lacing floats on the beer and the sides. I took my dog for a walk around the block and when I got back the pleasant aftertaste was still there, like a tattoo. Is it the best IPA? Probably not. Really fucking good? Yes.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, since it's been a while and I've sampled many offerings since I wanted to re-review my favorite beer, Stone IPA. Text and stats on the original review follows. Long story short...it's still right up there...

12 oz. into Duvel tulip...

2+ finger butter/eggshell head tops a clean and still honey/copper body. Head is slightly meringuish with great staying power and a lot of lacing. What an IPA should look like.

Grapefruit is subtle yet strong with slight floral notes and mild caramel malt. That's what I'm talkin' about...overall citrus is dominant but not one-sided - aroma has Beautiful Chemistry in spades.

Caramel malt comes forward in an even keel. Hoppiness manifests itself in more of a bitter citrus tone than on the nose...with a little warmth there's solid balance but the citrus and malt do quiet down rather quickly.

This achieves almost perfect balance on the palate. Malt is clean but hearty and hops provide ample bitterness and citrus. Finish is strong and even-keeled. Husky but bright. Never gets old.

One of the most drinkable beers around in my opinion and my favorite beer to drink all-around. Excellent for all seasons - hearty enough for cold, light enough for warm. Quenches thirst and provides a strong but clean flavor profile.

---
Original review stats and notes:

A+ / 4.85
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 5
rDev: +12.2%

Understatement of the year: Over-abundant flowery hop aroma. Very clean mouthfeel with undertones of ripe citrus. Although the hops are as plentiful as can be there is no unpleasant bitter after-taste whatsoever. Out of a bottle this is absolutely as good as it gets for an IPA and, in turn, for beer as a whole. Taking the last one of these out of the fridge is always a sad experience for me, until I get more!

Reviewed on: 01-27-2008 14:59:11

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a cloudy orange amber color with a massive foamy 2 finger head that faded very slowly, leaving great lacing sticking to the sides and a creamy layer on top; the lacing leaves great rings after each sip, and the beer is nice and murky.

Smells of huge hops, with floral hops, flowers, piney hops, citrus hops and just a barrage of oily hop sweetness up front; after another whiff, the other aroma’s come through like sweet malt, grains, caramel, grapefruit, orange peel, pepper and other spices, and perhaps maybe some brown sugar, but the hops really suppress everything and dominate the nose.

Tastes like it smells with huge hops up front including floral hops, flowers, piney hops, citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, pineapple or apple (can’t decide), sweet malt, grains, caramel, wet wheat bread, grass, a touch of herbs like tea, pepper and other spices, light brown sugar, and then a nice tart bitterness that tingles on the tongue before fading slowly and leaving a nice sweet hop pucker. This is what an IPA is all about, and I have always thought that this beer is one of the best IPA’s that sets the standard. The alcohol is well hidden, and there’s just a little heat from the alcohol, hops and spices which balance nicely with the malts used. Nice tart fruit flavors add to just a great overall taste.

Mouthfeel is creamy, oily slick and quite smooth, with light carbonation, a medium body that’s chewy, and a nice bitter finish that leaves a fruity pucker with a hop bite.

This beer feels light and easy to drink, even though it has some kick to it, and is so drinkable it’s almost scary; this is a top notch beer which I have immensely enjoyed for years and one that I highly recommend. This is the epitome of an IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a just-shy-of-clear bright amber color, with golden highlights and a big, dense head of white foam that leaves tons of lace. Huge aroma of American hops -- citrus and pine sap and metals. There's a nice, sweet blood orange note in there. Only the slimmest hint of amber malts makes it through. On the palate, the mouthfeel is extremely smooth considering all the hops in this thing. Carbonation is biting but fine-bubbled. The taste is extraordinary, and precisely what you would want in an American IPA. It's almost harshly bitter, but the malt payload is enough to keep things smooth, albeit still massively imbalanced. In the midst of all those citrus and metallic notes is a notable lack of acrid fusel oils or any other detracting byproducts of massive hop bitterness. Overall, this is an incredible IPA. It's big and brash, but not out of whack in its flavors and aromas... huge, imbalanced, but still drinkable, which is a pretty remarkable achievement.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

One of my favorite IPAs. Has a great hoppy flavor, which is just the right bitterness. I also appreciate the label, the gargoyle is pretty BA. If you like hops, you'll like this IPA

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

as close to perfection as i can perceive (in this class). are there better beers? well always. however, this is a jewel. balance is an understatement, it's everything coming together. the look, nose and taste are like mortise and tenon. oh yeah, a citrus bitter that doesn't pucker, as clean a finish as a tight super model's skin. obviously words destroy this experience. a smidgen pricey (near 11 bucks in my area), but how can you argue, when this drink is such a fine work.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Phenomenal. It pours a magnificently clear pale color with an awesome head that leavs great lace and has pretty good retention. The aroma and flavor have one of the cleanest, most pure hop flavors I have experienced. It has a nice bitterness to it, which is balanced nicely with a slight maltiness. I could drink this beer all day/ night long. Perfectly balanced. Awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

The long sought-after answer to my beloved Lagunitas IPA that I sadly can't get down here!

Just got a 22oz bottle at my local HEB, this beer
has a ton of flavour and hops which isn't for all
of us, but if you like good beer + don't mind the
extra alcohol (6.9%) I highly recommend this one!
Probably too strong for a session beer but if you
are having one or two it will satisfy most any1's
taste buds. Cool bottle too.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a hazy yellow with just a touch of copper. An inch or more of head that seemed to last forever, spotty lacing & medium-high carbonation. Smells of very, very bright citrusy floral hops, with a wonderful spicy burnt/toasted aroma. A touch of raisins with some pine notes. A little dry as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of strong floral & potent hops, with a nice burnt biscuity malty aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness lingers well, there's a touch of raisin & piney citrus notes as well. As it warms, you can taste some dry alcohol (Not offensive) Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, chewy & medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - One could only drink so many of these heavily hoped brews. So id say about 2, but let me say that it is very, very good. This is a great example of an IPA. I absolutely love the intensely floral hopyness of this beer. I have not yet experienced it in any other beer. I love this beer, it very well might be my favorite IPA. Folks, you need, no! Must try this IPA!

Another fantastic beer from Stone Brewing Co, you wont be disappointed. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

This is my first review so pardon me if any of my comments seem rookie. However, I served in the U.S. Navy for over 20 years so I know about beer tastes from around the World.

Before trying this beer I was a fan of the Pale Ales and darks but this IPA has grown on me quickly because of its hoppiness. Very crisp on the tongue and lingers nicely. A good summer beer elsewhere but great anytime in its home town and mine. I could not give it a perfect score because I believe there is always room for improvement. However, I am definitely a fan now.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Heavy aromas of flowers, citrus fruit, and wild hops. The carbonation bubbles ever so slowly float to the top of the glass. Carries flowery notes as well as sweet malts, but the hops bitterness dominates the palate. So smooth and creamy and filling! A fantastic I.P.A. Would expect no less from Stone Brewery.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.