Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,877 | Hads: 10,234
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

What a bold beer! Right from the get go I knew I would enjoy this one. It poured a light amber color with a great fluffy white head. The aroma of citrus and spice was in full force and smelled absolutly wonderful. To say this beer is hoppy would be an understatement...it is VERY hoppy. But this is a good thing because it is still very smoothe. Mouthfeel was perfect, and the taste was great. It had a bit of a pine taste at the beginning, then as it hit my tounge it flavors opened up and revealed a very spicy flavor, and finished with a little alchohol warmth. This reminded me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, but with more of a spicy flavor. This is a great beer and now they make it in six packs....awesome!!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A warm, orange-gold color with a rocky white head that clings to the side of the glass like few others. A generous amount of lace covers the beer to the last drop. The aroma is absolutely incredible. Unbelievably strong and showing a nice depth of citrus flavors, most noticeably grapefruit. The taste is a beautiful display of hop character with a juicy explosion of grapefruit and an unyielding dryness that is hard to beat. As it warmed up, the flavors really softened and blended harmoniously, but still packed quite a wallop. Despite it's relatively high ABV and strong hop bitterness, I found this extremely drinkable and pleasant. A perfect beer for summertime or spicy food or both. I'll definitely be drinking this again and again.

Tasted on June 15, 2009.

Omg... this is one of the best beer I drank. So nicely done.

A: Simply beautiful. A copper color with a tiny head. I bigger head would be great.
S: Strong aroma of hops which make you think the taste will be a bomb of hops.
T: Bitterness... I would say hops bitterness. The most surprising it was a medium intensity taste. The hops are piny with some citrus. Very nice tasting.
D:Very easy to drink.

Again, Stone has achieved almost perfection with this beer. One of my top 5 beers.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Orange and crystal clear below a creamy white head. Leaves a good bit of lace as it fades.

Aroma is solid, fruity hop juices and floral aromas. A little bit of a wheatiness to it and no, i'm not talking the breakfast of champions...although this might qualify.

Smooth and sweet wheatiness initially that melds with sweet juicy hops to form an awesomeness that melds so nicely I can't even put it into words. Incredibly balanced.

Not too oily and not too full. Appropriate carbonation and body. Medium-Full, closer to medium. Such a tastey brew that I could drink day in and day out. The last time I had this was when I first turned 21 and now I can really appreciate all of the flavors and aromas that this one brings with it. Truely a world class IPA in a world that is dominated by over-the-topness.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I love west coast beer, especially the IPAs, so forgive me if this comes across as biased. Had this before,back in my native home state of CA, this is my first reviewing it here.

A=Light-orange, with surprisingly little head, leaving faint lacing. Not very good in appearance character for an IPA, but don't be fooled.

S&T=Nice power of hops coming at you, but not overdone, perfectly balanced with a solid malt backbone. MMMM MMMm!!!! Very Tasty.

B=Solid medium body, with good carbonation that doesn't distract from the good flavors here.

Another outstanding IPA, a good solid example of the West Coast IPAs. I miss my home state so much. Will be getting again, when I can find it here.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/23.

A- Pours an light orange color with a white two finger head.

S-Fresh citrus and pine notes dominate here with a hint of caramel malt.

T-Follows the nose with citrus and pine bitterness with a caramel malt base that balances things a little.

M-Really creamy and smooth for an IPA. Medium boded with moderate carbonation.

D-This is one easy drinking IPA. It's easily one of my favorites and I hope Stone makes it to Chicago soon so I can regularly enjoy this fine beer.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Mostly clear gold/amber pour. Very little head, (poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice).

Nice hop nose that let's you know you are in for a treat. Aggressive, but not unwelcome.

Hop fiesta flavor! Nice grapefruity burst, sharp piney flavor also present. Definitely for hop lovers. I can't remember when I have had a better IPA. Probably never.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel. It begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability is tops! 7% ABV and it goes down insanely easy. I could drink these almost exclusively with no complaints. Certainly will be one of my new session favorites, when I can afford it ($37 a case, $10 a sixer around here).

My love affair with Stone beer continues, too bad they are located all the way across the country. Luckily most of their line is available here in MA.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a room temp pint glass.

A- has the signature hazy golden orange color typical of a great IPA. This pour had a white one-finger head with outstanding lacing as the level lowered.

S-A floral punch in the nose teamed up with a blast of citrus.

T-Citrus tang with a touch of pine and malt backround. Definately hop forward just as I like it.

M-medium body and good carbonation right to the end. Slightly stickey-sweet, then a great bitter hop finish. Cool and wet.

O-An outstanding IPA.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Nice light amber color mostly clear from the tap
S-Fruity Aroma
T-Like many Stone beers great grapefruit flavor comes through.
M-Smooth with a nice tang and good carbonation
D- one of the most drinkable stones, great to have with a meal.

One of my go to beers, highly recomended.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Tried Ruination yesterday, and now I'm trying the Stone IPA.

A - Just as nice looking golden body with a foamy white head. Dissipates quicker than expected though.

S - A beautiful blend of fruitiness and hops. Neither really overpowers the other and they blend wonderfully together.

T - A very nice citrus start with a piney but mild bitterness. Very pleasant.

M - Crisp, refreshing, lightly carbonated. I like it!

D - Very very drinkable. Stone makes very good IPAs.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I had had this brew before and loved it to death, but I had never reviewed it. I tried my best this time to give it an objective review.
It poured a very clean and clear amber color with a foamy white head, disspapting quickly. It smelled wonderfully, with hops obviously leading the way to some malt and sweet/sour tones. It wasn't overpowering, and gave a perfect insight to the taste.
It had an incredible, yes incredible sweet hoppy taste which I could see being a little too much for the non-IPA lovers. The main thing I took away from this was the balance which was exquisite. It was sweet yet somewhat biting and bitter at the end. The alcohol wasn't even noticed. It was refreshing and crisp. I really can't think of a better IPA for your money.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought a 6-pack at Total Wine earlier this month. Enjoy by date is a little smeared but it's still well within the suggested timeframe. Poured into my Dogfish IPA glass for review.

Light copper color with fluffy white head, nice carbonation and a tad of sediment which renders the beer somewhat hazy. Smells fantastic with pungent piney hops, whiffs of papaya & mango, maybe some orange and pineapple.

Tastes overwhelmingly hoppy with sweet tropical fruit flavors then a burst of hop bitterness. Piney & citrus resins linger and coat the tongue wonderfully. Definitely a true West Coast style IPA.

Mouthfeel feels light to medium bodied. Think the hop resins make it perceivable more full bodied but this beer is definitely extremely drinkable and a wonderful thirst quencher. No astringency from the amped up bitterness rate. Alcohol well in check and carbonation is fine.

A damn fine IPA overall. I love that Stone prints the Enjoy By dates on their bottles. As a conscious shopper, I like knowing how fresh my hoppy beers truly are after being burned one too many times. This just adds more appeal to Stone's beers. Anyway, this is a really great beer that deserves it's own merits.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased a 22oz bomber of this from Ziggy’s in Chattanooga. I have to make a pretty decent trip to get anything over 6.0% abv but it’s usually well worth it.

This pours out a very lightly murky, pale yellow/orange. A beautiful bubbly head rolls up 2 ½ fingers high. Small zippy carbonation bubbles rise rapidly to the top. Lacing forms in rings and clings beautifully. Appearance is well in order for the style.

As soon as the bottle is opened the odors rush out and roughly massage and entice my sense of smell. God, I love the way this beer smells. Like standing in the middle of an orange orchid or something. A sweet malty smell is detectable in the background but those fresh, delicious smelling hop fragrances take center stage.

This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Just enough sweet malt background here to keep this from tasting overly-hopped. Taste is astringent as it plays across the front of my tongue, then a mild sweetness glides over but is put in a choke hold by the diversity of hop flavors I detect. Apricot notes/strong citrusy fruity notes as well as juicy pine and floral flavors dance over my tastebuds. Aftertaste is dominantly citrus. Mouthfeel is refreshing and dry without being a cotton-mouth choker. No alcohol taste is present to me at all.

This is one of my favorite beers, definitely the best non-imperial IPA I’ve tasted to date. To be honest with you I like this one just about as much as Ruination depending on what I’m in the mood for. This one being a little more balanced and aggressively hopped yet still sessionable without destroying my taste buds or dehydrating my tongue. If I was rating strictly on enthusiasm Stone IPA would get straight 5’s.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

One fateful night I had this beer at Yard House. From the moment I saw it, with its golden color and ample head, it seemed like a special brew. I took a whiff, and noticed scents of pine, pineapple, and grapefruit. Upon tasting, I discovered a beautiful hop bouquet colored with shades of pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, pine nuts, and peach. The hop bitterness was quite pleasant and intense without becoming acerbic, as many IPAs do. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth, even syrupy but not too much so. As far as drinkability, I felt like I could pound a few more, but I had to drive :). I let my friend have a taste, and he thought it was very good even though he doesn't care for IPAs.

Overall, I'd say this is the gold standard in American IPAs. Hoppy as hell, but in the nicest way possible. A must have for all the hopheads out there.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Served as a sample at the Penn Festival. The beer poured a golden blonde. The smell was of hops and more hops. The taste was very hoppy.........just about the perfect amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel was quite smooth. The drinkability was about as good as possible.........zero alcohol for almost 7%, and great sessionability.

Stone keeps making great beers, and next to the Bastard, this is probably my favorite of the beers they've made. Stone has created one of the truly great American IPAs.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

stone is not available in illinois, atleast not to my knowledge so a buddy of mine picked me up on a trip to ohio. the look of it is great, has a nice slightly orangish/gold cloudyness to it with a nice fluffy white head, and it smells flipping great, just a wonderful cascade of hop aroma, very light and not overpowering earthy hopness to it. taste is great too, just a fulll bodied flavor, not to strong, not to light flavor, it is one of the easiest to drink ipa's too, alot of your really really strong ipa's are hard to get through the bottle cause of the bitterness or the alcohol but this one is an absolute world class beer. just wish it were available locally

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the IPA that got me into hoppier beers to begin with. When i was younger, i had Ranger IPA and thought very little of IPAs till my uncle (from California) got me a Stone sampler which included this flagship IPA. I will TRY to rate this IPA as objectively as possible... It pours a nice honey with very little bubbles. About a 2 finger creamy-white head with medium lacing. Tastes start with a strong hop presence (duh) then onto slight fruit notes, maybe a faint bit of apricot. The mouthfeel is whole and pleasant. Overall a very good IPA. Anyone who is thinking of trying an IPA, I recommend this one. Honestly, one of the best IPAs out there and one of my personal favorites, when i can get it.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

22oz bomber from The Lighthouse in Manchester, Maine. Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a thin film of off-white head that leaves some lace. Smells amazing - orange, grapefruit etc hops dominate for sure with just the slightest hint of malt. Bright citrussy hops dominate the flavor - orange, grapfruit, and slight pith. Slight caramel and biscuit malt help to make the hops not overpowering. Nonetheless, hops dominate and create perhaps one of the finest hop flavors in any beer I've ever had. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. An easier drinker than expected, considering the ABV and big flavor. Perhaps one of the finest IPAs I have ever had. Phenomenal in almost every way.

What a great beer.

Beer poured with a creamy white 2 finger head. The head did slowly fade back into the beer and left an 1/8th inch skim across the top. Nice ribs of lacing all the way down the glass. Very clear golden amber color. Slight visible carbonation.

Aroma was spot on. Spicy, Floral and citrus notes. (Grapefruit) very fresh scent.

Flavor was approaching perfection. Nice citrus spicy bite out of the shoot. Then a moment of spiciness. White pepper. Then a nice malt sweetness that is followed by the hop bitterness that lingers. Just a joy to drink front to back. A slight spicy tone sticks with the hop lingering effect. You can almost feel the hop oils on your tongue.

Mouth feel is light in body but BIG on flavor. Smooth feel to the beer and the drinkability is amazing.

This is among my favorite IPA's.

Greenflash, Smuttynose and Stone IPA. Don't miss any of these.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy head and great lacing.

Hop aroma is strong and citrusy. Earthy, piney notes are also upfront and the malt sweetness is present in the nose.

Bitter straightforward hops are the profile of this IPA. Good balance though, and the finish is dry and quenching.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium to soft carbonation. Very drinkable and recommended highly.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Stone IPA how can you go wrong. You can smell the hops in this one, and its got great character to back it up. I am a hop head, and was very satisfied after having my first Stone IPA years ago, and after having one tonight, had to rate it.

If you like IPA's this is a no brainer! Great appearance, not too carbonated, and will simply blow you away.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Orange in color with a white head a really good lace.

S: Citrus scent.

T: Orange and other citrus flavors with a good amount of hops from beginning to end. Really clean and smooth.

MF: Medium light body with medium carbonation. Crisp, refreshing, smooth and clean with a hoppy feel the whole time. Drinkable with a light and dry finish.

O: One of my favorite IPAs. I love how there are hops all throughout this beer but it doesn't over power it. A good IPA for any time, even summer.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Irecently re-discovered this beer and was reminded, as I took my first sniff in awhile, why this is my standard for american ipa. With fresh bottles easily accessable and exceedingly more bars carrying stone products on draft there's no excuse for any to miss out on this one.

color: straw to gold with a peachy hue. tight, white head.

aroma: slightly sweet initially, but immediately slapped me with fresh hoppy funk and a little estery zest.(chinook? galena?) In the back I find mixed nut and old hop/cheese notes.

taste: exploding with fresh and seperate malt and hop flavors. beautifully balanced in the mouth and at the finish leaving a brand of that hop profile seared into the brain for days. I love the fact that I'm intrigued, but not overwhelmed with complexity. One with a more tuned pallate could peel away at this one for a while, but you still can't help needing to just drink the damn thing.

In THIS style, I find myself hard-pressed to find a better beer.
I think I'm going to need some cashews and stilton cheese with this one next time.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance was deep, slightly cloudy orange. Nice head that lingers on the glass. Smell was fresh hoppy and bright. Taste was fresh popping citrus and hops, very balanced bitterness. Some malty, toasty flavors in the background. Hops settle down for a clean aftertaste. Nice creamy mouthfeel, the beer rolls around and feels smooth. Overall a very drinkable, distinct IPA on par with the best I have ever had. I would definately recommend this beer to others, even those who are not huge hops fans.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.