Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,928 | Ratings: 10,571
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A-Very clear for a ipa.Nice thick creamy head.Alot of bubbles ,nice retention.

T-Nice and hoppy,very Citrusy and a faint aftertaste of a flowery taste.

S-Very flowery and citrus(grapefruit and maybe oranges)

M-Great! Everything I love in a ipa, this beer has.

D-Recomended to anyone that loves a nce no thrills ipa.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

From what I understand this IPA is legen wait for it dary and I was not disappointed. Nice bright golden tan color with tantilizing thick head. Smells like heaven that is if heaven is a hop factory. Unbelievable hoppy, bittery flavor with hints of caramel and I think pine cones. Feels great to drink not to thick or carbonated and after you drink it you feel like a hop breathing dragon. I would like to drink these all day but in reality I could probably only handel two or three in a sitting. Looking forward to many more of these tasty treats.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This is another world class beer from Stone. Take it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes or so before opening it, then lavish yourself in the beautiful floral aroma of hops. It's readily available in six packs in my area, so I'm spoiled. It has the hoppy, citrusy flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA. I've used this beer on four occassions to introduce a BMC type to real beer. Each time was successful.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

P: Orange copper body big creamy offwhite head. Slightly hazy.

S: hopped up nose with fresh citrus and tropical fruit hops with wood and hints of earthy/floral hops. The glass has somewhat of an aroma and makes it hard to dissect. Crisp and fresh.

T/M: Super fresh grapefruit, juicy tropical fruits, pears, mangos, pineapple, hints of honey, fresh pine needles and pine resin. Malt is toasty and doughy hints of sour dough. Creamy delicious mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Finish is smooth and dry with a pleasant explosion of hops from start to finish.

O: I was glad to see this on tap at a restraints while visiting South Carolina a for my relocation. First Stone beer and I can say it was freaking great. Everything I look for in an IPA. Fresh and hopped up. I look forward to living in this state. Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has a light orange color, almost completely clear. I poured aggresively but still didn't get a very large head. Still looks tasty though.
The aroma from this beer is probably the best I've encountered or my sense of smell is really on today : ). First hit is a huge wallop of citrus. Has a little bit of grapefruit but it doesn't make up the bulk of the citrus. It also seems like their is a friggin huge bouquet of flowers in there somewhere. Light carmel malts and slight hints of pale malt as well, along with subdues alcohol spices.
Taste is delicious. Seems to very well balanced. Strong malt presence up front. Slight hints of carmel. This is quickly met by a huge hop explosion which tastes strong at first but ends up smoothing itself off by the aftertaste. Hops are floral and sort of piney. Not as much citrus in the taste as in the smell but still some. Alcohol spices are somewhat present on the finish but lightly so.
A medium-light mouthfeel. Extremely easy drinking.
Big Thanks to Quaffer hooking me up.

I just got my hands on another one and it was every bit of delicious as before. Had to come bump the scores a little bit.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

An excellent Westcoast IPA. Potent, hoppy, but extremely drinkable.

The body is clear and slightly amber with a fantastic bone-white head that laces well.

The aroma is an explosion of hops, citrusy but still tamed by a sweet malty nose hidden in the background -- beautiful.

The flavor is smooth and well-balanced, from the aroma I expected to be blasted with hop bitterness, but the generous malt background makes this IPA smooth and delicious with a perfect hot bite.

The body is generous making this beer surprising creamy on the palate, but not cloying. This IPA was so drinkable that I kick myself for not bringing another bottle back with me from my trip to the Westcoast.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very lovely copper coloration. The head was off white slightly honey colored. The head was thick and had good retention. Very nice streaks of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: This beer is a hop bomb on smell. Spicy floral hops on a bed of malty citric sweetness. Dam this is good stuff.

Taste: The beer punches with intial spicy hops slightly piney notes. Then there is citrus goodness. This breaks into malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The beer is meduim bodied and has a slightly oily texture to the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is just an excellent IPA all around. The taste is very well balanced. I am looking forward to more.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Looks like a nice crisp clear IPA, on the light side, not too dark.

S - Sweet smell of hops! Love those hops. Smells fruity and sweet.

T - Very hoppy, but not over the top. Nice light IPA with plenty of hop power.

M - Very nice on the toungue. Smooth and tasty.

D - Extremely drinkable, maybe too drinkable. Very well balanced nice IPA, not trying to be something it isn't. I love Double IPAs, but this IPA is top notch.

Overall I was extremely pleased with this IPA. I would say for a plain IPA, it's better than the 60 Minute. I wish that I didn't have to go to MA for this beer, but it's worth the drive to Yankee Spirits! Can't wait to get my lips on this beer again!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bottle with no freshness date. I like the label, very cool.

Appearance is a golden yellow, with deep amber down the middle. Very long lasting, sticky, big bubbled head. Incredible lacing. This beer really looks near perfect.

I could smell this one the second I cracked the top. Huge hop aroma. Citrus and piney, this is what makes American IPA great. Just enough fuity, alcoholy malt underneat to not be a total hop bomb. This is the definition of the style.

Taste is, of course, of bitter, orange and lemony hops. They are spicy, just a bit sour like grapefruit and balanced oh so well by a backbone of doughy, light and crisp malt. Fills your mouth with great flavor! I was in total happiness drinking this. I could barely put it down...

Great mouthfeel. Oily, but not overdone. Coats the whole palate nicely. Drinkability is HUGE. I wish I savored this bomber a bit more, in fact.

In my mind, belongs in the top tier of go-to American IPAs. A must try for every beer lover.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks for letting me snag one of your bottles of this guy Andy! Pours a slightly hazy straw color with about a finger of white fluffy head. A big aroma of dry piney hops and citrus zest. The aroma very nicely blends dry and juicy aromas. Probably the most balanced IPA I've smelled in a while. This is like smelling a pine tree spayed with sweet tropical juice. The taste is perfect. It simply doesn't get better than this. Dry piney hops, dry bitter flavor with a lemony finish and slight citrus flavor. The mouthfeel is light and sharply carbonated. Nothing to argue with here. This is amazing. I want to be able to get this with my meal at Wendy's. I simply want this all the time. It's almost not fair that I can't drink this all the time.

Bottle

A - Golden amber. White frothy head.

S - Heavy hops - pine, grapefruit, resin. Toasted grain, malt

T - Heavily bitter with light sweetness. Grapefruit, pine. Bitter finish.

O/ M - Great IPA! Velvety, creamy medium mouthfeel and body. Very smooth for IBU of 70+. One of my favorites!

Bottle.

Pours slightly hazy gold with a hint of orange and a small but creamy white head.

Nose is big on citrus - pineapple, grapefruit, orange all come through, sweet but clean.

Taste starts off with clean, lightly sweet caramel malt and lightly astringent hops, with a finish that allows the fresh citrus to really shine, and a lighter than expected bitterness lingering on the palate. The overall result is an utterly fantastic IPA - not overpowering, refreshing, flavorful, and one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had. Emphasizes the flavor of the hops, rather than just the bitterness. Superb balance.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

And now to write my very first Beer Advocate beer review...and about maybe the most dependable American IPA out there, nonetheless!!

Serving: 12 oz bottle (strong) poured into a Stone pint glass

Appearance: Quite clear, more so than I prefer my IPA's to be...butterscotch color with an off-white foamy head (my strong pour gave me almost 3 fingers).

Smell: Aaahh! This is what an IPA should smell like!! Grapefruit, with floral undertones. Before you even taste a sip, it's readily apparent that this beer is heavily hopped!

Taste: If you don't like "bitter" beers, you can stop reading this review right now. For the rest of you, here we go: this is what IPA should taste like. Being the average hop-head, I make it my mission to try every single IPA that I come across. Although I've technically had "better" IPA's, all of the "better" IPA's I've had have been specialty brews. This is the best regular-ol'-IPA that I've ever had. Bitter hops wrap around the tip of your tongue before exploding across the rest of your mouth. The only other regular-ol'-IPA I've had that rivals this one is Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (brewed out of Kalamazoo, MI). Since I live in CA, I have constant access to this brew. Despite this, I find myself always coming back to it (and that's high praise from someone who prefers to try something new rather than stick with "the same ol'." But this IPA is just so good you can't resist buying it again and again and again.

Mouthfeel: A bit lighter than some of my other favorite IPA's, but what's lost in body is made up for in drinkability. The hops are most predominate on the front palate.

Drinkability: Considering this brew clocks in at 6.9% abv it's quite amazing that you can find yourself dissapointed they don't sell beers in 7-packs! Very drinkable for an IPA -- I attribute this beer's easy drinking to the fact that it is only medium-bodied, and not heavy, like some other great IPA's.

If you live in CA and reading this review, you probably already know about this beer...if you live outside of CA and can get your hands on this stuff, do it.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A beautiful 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle. I am sad to see it leave my fridge.

This is an awesome looking brew. The colour is golden, yet hazy, while the head was respectable, and left a good lace throughout the beer. The aroma is all about the hops and piney resin. This is some good stuff. I mean there is legitimate, bare-bones hop spice that would make any IPA-lover proud. The flavor is crisp and clean, with great notes of bready-like chewiness and fabulous maltiness. A fantastic IPA, and one I will be begging for in the future, as well. Beers like this are the reason I am happy to call myself a Beer Advocate.

Zum wohl!!!

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Hazy in appearance, and golden in color. Head starts thick and rocky, but slowly settles into a nice, thin lace.

S: Big grapefruit aroma. Hops are abundant, and smell spicy and citrusy. Slight smell of sweet malt.

T: Much like the smell, the first taste is grapefruit and citrus. This beer has serious hops. The intense bitterness is balanced by an underlying malt backbone.

D: Medium bodied with perfect level of carbonation. Crisp with a warming alcohol finish.

D: Very drinkable despite the relatively high ABV. An excellent IPA. It's the benchmark for the style in my opinion. One of my all time favorites.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Clear golden-amber liquid with a big white head and lots of lacing. It fits the bill for an IPA to a tee, at least the bill that exists in my head.

S: Wonderful hops produce a smell that makes me picture groves of oranges and lemons. It's fresh and clean without overwhelming. This scent nails West Coast IPA in the best possible way.

T: The flavor is hoppy with almost perfect bitterness. The malt backbone is there and provides just enough sweetness to express the hops at their finest, keeping the bitterness pleasant.

M: Creamy, sudsy, oily with hops.

D: I had to stop myself from finishing my glass before I even started writing the review. American IPA might be the single most competitive style right now in craft beer and Stone sets the bar incredibly high with their version. Stone is big (among craft brewers, anyway) for a reason. They make great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a light gold with a solid sustaining head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is very citrusy with a hint of caramel. Really nice hop bitterness comes through, leaving a solid aftertaste as well. Malt is not really apparent in the flavor, which is perfect for my taste. Imo, this is pretty much the paradigmatic west coast IPA: hoppy and delicious.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Kudos to Stone for creating such a fine tasting IPA. The beer looks and smells great, but the taste was the memorable and unique aspect of the beer. Well balanced and the hop flavors were both subtle and substantial, if that makes sense. You can definitely taste the hops, but not in an overwhelming manner. Definitely recommended drinking and not only to IPA fans.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange, nice carbonation. Light egg shell white head leaves a slight ring and nice lacing.

S: Strong musky hops with an excellent malt balance. Citrusy floral hop notes come through as it airs out.

T: Hops bite hard up front with a dry malt and hop finish. Sweet malt balance lingers.

M: Carb bubbles hit the throat, then hops dry it out. Last you get a sweet malt aftertaste.

D: Insanely drinkable for the amount of crisp hop bite. One of the best IPA's ever IMO, but for the style alone it is an IPA on steroids.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Ahh. The perfect and full bodied IPA. Stone IPA is special to me because it is the first IPA I ever had. Poured into my pint glass. The 22 oz. bottle pours a perfectly clear gold color with a nice thick white foamy head, about 2 inches thick that lingers for quite sometime. Eventually it settles to a very nice surface layer with excellent lace. There is definitely some hop bitterness going on here in both smell and taste. Nice, floral hoppy smell. Also strong citrus scents here. A crisp, frothy, creamy, and smooth taste. Flavors of hops and well... more hops along with some grapefruit. Also a slight bit of alcohol can be tasted as well as some malty hints. Just the right amount of bitterness for an IPA. A bit of a dry and bitter aftertaste. A nice and warm feeling starts to creep up after a few sips. Has a crisp and frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finishes clean. This beer is surprisingly drinkable for all its hop bitterness. Simply delicious on your palate.

Eric

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Best by 11-24-08.. A little past, but I'll take my chances.

A- Pours a nice billowy, fluffy, thick white head with extreme lacing and great retention. The body is an orange/amber color with a hazy body.

S- I want to say this nose has some skunk on it, but I'm thinking it's maybe just hops. This is pretty unique for an Ipa. Big pear, pine notes, nice big hopiness with sweet malt peeking it's head.

T- Starts out with an excellent herbal character, almost clovy, with notes of orange, loads of pine and then transitions to an extremely dry finish which I'm just loving. Superb.

M- Light carbonation is good and the dry finish is great.

D- What a beer. Easily my new go-to IPA. Alcohol cannot be detected at all. Great beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big boy bottle poured into a pint glass. Gorgeous copper color, slight haze, generous slightly off-white head. Aggressive aroma, big hops, good citrus, floral. Not as clean of a finish as I think you see from a lot of IPAs, but I think that's a good thing as there's nothing to complain about with the after taste here. Another outstanding offering from Stone.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Stone brews are all top notch and this one is no exception.it pours a hazy orange and imo is the perfect example of the styles appearance,nice head that retains and excellent lacing.

It smells of hops and citrus,more lemon oil than anything else.there isnt much in the way of malt but thats fine with me.

Taste is a hop punch in the face,not much malt for balance but balance is over rated imo.lemon is the next thing that hits me after the hops and bitter.

The mouthfeel is spot on to style to me,i would not call this a sessionable beer by any means but thats not what ipa's are all about anyways.If i had to give one knock on this beer it would be that it has a bit to much lemon oil but thats really nitpicking.

Overall, stone ipa is outstanding and is the standard by which all ipa's should be measured.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

This seems to be one of the staple IPAs according to hop heads I talk to. Decided to give it a try and must say it out works some Imperial/Double IPAs I have tried.

Poured into a "Sam Adams" Perfect Beer Glass.

Pale yellow with a small head. I LOVE the smell of this beer. If it was a cologne I could wear it!

The taste is hop heaven and it goes down smooth although I get a bit of a "tinny" after taste. Very light and not filling at all. I have to say I understand why this is a popular beer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.