Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,889 | Hads: 10,324
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

as close to perfection as i can perceive (in this class). are there better beers? well always. however, this is a jewel. balance is an understatement, it's everything coming together. the look, nose and taste are like mortise and tenon. oh yeah, a citrus bitter that doesn't pucker, as clean a finish as a tight super model's skin. obviously words destroy this experience. a smidgen pricey (near 11 bucks in my area), but how can you argue, when this drink is such a fine work.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Phenomenal. It pours a magnificently clear pale color with an awesome head that leavs great lace and has pretty good retention. The aroma and flavor have one of the cleanest, most pure hop flavors I have experienced. It has a nice bitterness to it, which is balanced nicely with a slight maltiness. I could drink this beer all day/ night long. Perfectly balanced. Awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

The long sought-after answer to my beloved Lagunitas IPA that I sadly can't get down here!

Just got a 22oz bottle at my local HEB, this beer
has a ton of flavour and hops which isn't for all
of us, but if you like good beer + don't mind the
extra alcohol (6.9%) I highly recommend this one!
Probably too strong for a session beer but if you
are having one or two it will satisfy most any1's
taste buds. Cool bottle too.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a hazy yellow with just a touch of copper. An inch or more of head that seemed to last forever, spotty lacing & medium-high carbonation. Smells of very, very bright citrusy floral hops, with a wonderful spicy burnt/toasted aroma. A touch of raisins with some pine notes. A little dry as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of strong floral & potent hops, with a nice burnt biscuity malty aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness lingers well, there's a touch of raisin & piney citrus notes as well. As it warms, you can taste some dry alcohol (Not offensive) Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, chewy & medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - One could only drink so many of these heavily hoped brews. So id say about 2, but let me say that it is very, very good. This is a great example of an IPA. I absolutely love the intensely floral hopyness of this beer. I have not yet experienced it in any other beer. I love this beer, it very well might be my favorite IPA. Folks, you need, no! Must try this IPA!

Another fantastic beer from Stone Brewing Co, you wont be disappointed. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

This is my first review so pardon me if any of my comments seem rookie. However, I served in the U.S. Navy for over 20 years so I know about beer tastes from around the World.

Before trying this beer I was a fan of the Pale Ales and darks but this IPA has grown on me quickly because of its hoppiness. Very crisp on the tongue and lingers nicely. A good summer beer elsewhere but great anytime in its home town and mine. I could not give it a perfect score because I believe there is always room for improvement. However, I am definitely a fan now.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Heavy aromas of flowers, citrus fruit, and wild hops. The carbonation bubbles ever so slowly float to the top of the glass. Carries flowery notes as well as sweet malts, but the hops bitterness dominates the palate. So smooth and creamy and filling! A fantastic I.P.A. Would expect no less from Stone Brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Tight off white head and beautiful orange amber transparent body.
S - Surprised by the robust malty aroma. Floral and resiney hops are everywhere, but I dont get the citrus everyone else is yabbering about.
T - Rustic bread, caramel and gobs of hops. What makes this beer great is that its just as malty as it is hoppy. Zippy, this beer has real verve.
M - Medium body mild carbonation.
D - This is a perfectly balanced beer, quite unlike (of course) AB, DBA or Ruination.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a gorgeous deep gold in my snifter. Perfect creamy barely off- white head. Very well rounded nose with smooth hop citrus, pine and grass. Smooth sweetness up front with delicious hop bitterness in the middle and a nice dry finish. Carbonation is spot- on with a lightly sticky mouthfeel. Super drinkable for a 6.9 ABV. Alcohol warms the belly but does not interfere with the taste. Excellent!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is another beer that I have to hold myself back from giving 5/5 purely based on principal . This has become my favorite every-day beer, my old stand-by. I keep trying to convince myself that it isn't as good as I think it is - because it so widely available, I guess. But Stone struck gold on this recipe. It has never let me down. Every time I go back to it after not having one for a few weeks, it's always better than I expect. So I have to admit that I really love this IPA.

It is tame enough to be enjoyed at any time, but aggressive enough to remind me not to take it for granted. The citrus flavor is perfect. Sweetness and bitterness are balanced just to my liking. The hops are a little more powerful than is necessary for an IPA, which keeps me coming back for another sip.

I love that I always have Stone IPA as an option no matter where I am in the country. Thank you , Stone Brewery!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this as part of the sampler pack but having tried this before I knew it was the quintessential West-Coast IPA.

A - Bright orange color. Slight chill haze from the dry hops with a perfect white head and nice lacing.

S - Pleasant and strong hop fragrance with citrus fruit, pine, and some dankness. Just an amazing hops showcase plain and simple. If you want to be picky there maybe some malt and ale character present but only after you pry apart the aroma.

T - Great flavor with the strong citrus hop character predominant with some resin, dank, and pine notes in the middle. The hop bitterness is also present but not in contention with the citrusy hop flavor. There are also light malt and yeast character but mostly covered up by the hops. Really a delicious IPA.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. This one is just perfect for drinking after a long day because it is very flavorful but not overwhelming in any way.

Overall, an amazing IPA. Definitely makes since why there is such a market for this beer with all of its flavor and drinkability. I would never turn this beer down whether it's 100 degrees or 10 this beer is a winner.

Glass- Tulip

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a delicious, super smooth IPA. Very drinkable with only a little bit of bitter aftertaste. It smells and tastes pretty grapefruit-y. The bitterness is well balanced with some sweetness, like fresh citrus zest and pith. It's surprisingly refreshing. I could drink this one every day.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

What a bold beer! Right from the get go I knew I would enjoy this one. It poured a light amber color with a great fluffy white head. The aroma of citrus and spice was in full force and smelled absolutly wonderful. To say this beer is hoppy would be an understatement...it is VERY hoppy. But this is a good thing because it is still very smoothe. Mouthfeel was perfect, and the taste was great. It had a bit of a pine taste at the beginning, then as it hit my tounge it flavors opened up and revealed a very spicy flavor, and finished with a little alchohol warmth. This reminded me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, but with more of a spicy flavor. This is a great beer and now they make it in six packs....awesome!!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A warm, orange-gold color with a rocky white head that clings to the side of the glass like few others. A generous amount of lace covers the beer to the last drop. The aroma is absolutely incredible. Unbelievably strong and showing a nice depth of citrus flavors, most noticeably grapefruit. The taste is a beautiful display of hop character with a juicy explosion of grapefruit and an unyielding dryness that is hard to beat. As it warmed up, the flavors really softened and blended harmoniously, but still packed quite a wallop. Despite it's relatively high ABV and strong hop bitterness, I found this extremely drinkable and pleasant. A perfect beer for summertime or spicy food or both. I'll definitely be drinking this again and again.

Tasted on June 15, 2009.

Omg... this is one of the best beer I drank. So nicely done.

A: Simply beautiful. A copper color with a tiny head. I bigger head would be great.
S: Strong aroma of hops which make you think the taste will be a bomb of hops.
T: Bitterness... I would say hops bitterness. The most surprising it was a medium intensity taste. The hops are piny with some citrus. Very nice tasting.
D:Very easy to drink.

Again, Stone has achieved almost perfection with this beer. One of my top 5 beers.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Orange and crystal clear below a creamy white head. Leaves a good bit of lace as it fades.

Aroma is solid, fruity hop juices and floral aromas. A little bit of a wheatiness to it and no, i'm not talking the breakfast of champions...although this might qualify.

Smooth and sweet wheatiness initially that melds with sweet juicy hops to form an awesomeness that melds so nicely I can't even put it into words. Incredibly balanced.

Not too oily and not too full. Appropriate carbonation and body. Medium-Full, closer to medium. Such a tastey brew that I could drink day in and day out. The last time I had this was when I first turned 21 and now I can really appreciate all of the flavors and aromas that this one brings with it. Truely a world class IPA in a world that is dominated by over-the-topness.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I love west coast beer, especially the IPAs, so forgive me if this comes across as biased. Had this before,back in my native home state of CA, this is my first reviewing it here.

A=Light-orange, with surprisingly little head, leaving faint lacing. Not very good in appearance character for an IPA, but don't be fooled.

S&T=Nice power of hops coming at you, but not overdone, perfectly balanced with a solid malt backbone. MMMM MMMm!!!! Very Tasty.

B=Solid medium body, with good carbonation that doesn't distract from the good flavors here.

Another outstanding IPA, a good solid example of the West Coast IPAs. I miss my home state so much. Will be getting again, when I can find it here.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/23.

A- Pours an light orange color with a white two finger head.

S-Fresh citrus and pine notes dominate here with a hint of caramel malt.

T-Follows the nose with citrus and pine bitterness with a caramel malt base that balances things a little.

M-Really creamy and smooth for an IPA. Medium boded with moderate carbonation.

D-This is one easy drinking IPA. It's easily one of my favorites and I hope Stone makes it to Chicago soon so I can regularly enjoy this fine beer.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Mostly clear gold/amber pour. Very little head, (poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice).

Nice hop nose that let's you know you are in for a treat. Aggressive, but not unwelcome.

Hop fiesta flavor! Nice grapefruity burst, sharp piney flavor also present. Definitely for hop lovers. I can't remember when I have had a better IPA. Probably never.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel. It begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability is tops! 7% ABV and it goes down insanely easy. I could drink these almost exclusively with no complaints. Certainly will be one of my new session favorites, when I can afford it ($37 a case, $10 a sixer around here).

My love affair with Stone beer continues, too bad they are located all the way across the country. Luckily most of their line is available here in MA.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a room temp pint glass.

A- has the signature hazy golden orange color typical of a great IPA. This pour had a white one-finger head with outstanding lacing as the level lowered.

S-A floral punch in the nose teamed up with a blast of citrus.

T-Citrus tang with a touch of pine and malt backround. Definately hop forward just as I like it.

M-medium body and good carbonation right to the end. Slightly stickey-sweet, then a great bitter hop finish. Cool and wet.

O-An outstanding IPA.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Nice light amber color mostly clear from the tap
S-Fruity Aroma
T-Like many Stone beers great grapefruit flavor comes through.
M-Smooth with a nice tang and good carbonation
D- one of the most drinkable stones, great to have with a meal.

One of my go to beers, highly recomended.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Tried Ruination yesterday, and now I'm trying the Stone IPA.

A - Just as nice looking golden body with a foamy white head. Dissipates quicker than expected though.

S - A beautiful blend of fruitiness and hops. Neither really overpowers the other and they blend wonderfully together.

T - A very nice citrus start with a piney but mild bitterness. Very pleasant.

M - Crisp, refreshing, lightly carbonated. I like it!

D - Very very drinkable. Stone makes very good IPAs.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I had had this brew before and loved it to death, but I had never reviewed it. I tried my best this time to give it an objective review.
It poured a very clean and clear amber color with a foamy white head, disspapting quickly. It smelled wonderfully, with hops obviously leading the way to some malt and sweet/sour tones. It wasn't overpowering, and gave a perfect insight to the taste.
It had an incredible, yes incredible sweet hoppy taste which I could see being a little too much for the non-IPA lovers. The main thing I took away from this was the balance which was exquisite. It was sweet yet somewhat biting and bitter at the end. The alcohol wasn't even noticed. It was refreshing and crisp. I really can't think of a better IPA for your money.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought a 6-pack at Total Wine earlier this month. Enjoy by date is a little smeared but it's still well within the suggested timeframe. Poured into my Dogfish IPA glass for review.

Light copper color with fluffy white head, nice carbonation and a tad of sediment which renders the beer somewhat hazy. Smells fantastic with pungent piney hops, whiffs of papaya & mango, maybe some orange and pineapple.

Tastes overwhelmingly hoppy with sweet tropical fruit flavors then a burst of hop bitterness. Piney & citrus resins linger and coat the tongue wonderfully. Definitely a true West Coast style IPA.

Mouthfeel feels light to medium bodied. Think the hop resins make it perceivable more full bodied but this beer is definitely extremely drinkable and a wonderful thirst quencher. No astringency from the amped up bitterness rate. Alcohol well in check and carbonation is fine.

A damn fine IPA overall. I love that Stone prints the Enjoy By dates on their bottles. As a conscious shopper, I like knowing how fresh my hoppy beers truly are after being burned one too many times. This just adds more appeal to Stone's beers. Anyway, this is a really great beer that deserves it's own merits.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased a 22oz bomber of this from Ziggy’s in Chattanooga. I have to make a pretty decent trip to get anything over 6.0% abv but it’s usually well worth it.

This pours out a very lightly murky, pale yellow/orange. A beautiful bubbly head rolls up 2 ½ fingers high. Small zippy carbonation bubbles rise rapidly to the top. Lacing forms in rings and clings beautifully. Appearance is well in order for the style.

As soon as the bottle is opened the odors rush out and roughly massage and entice my sense of smell. God, I love the way this beer smells. Like standing in the middle of an orange orchid or something. A sweet malty smell is detectable in the background but those fresh, delicious smelling hop fragrances take center stage.

This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Just enough sweet malt background here to keep this from tasting overly-hopped. Taste is astringent as it plays across the front of my tongue, then a mild sweetness glides over but is put in a choke hold by the diversity of hop flavors I detect. Apricot notes/strong citrusy fruity notes as well as juicy pine and floral flavors dance over my tastebuds. Aftertaste is dominantly citrus. Mouthfeel is refreshing and dry without being a cotton-mouth choker. No alcohol taste is present to me at all.

This is one of my favorite beers, definitely the best non-imperial IPA I’ve tasted to date. To be honest with you I like this one just about as much as Ruination depending on what I’m in the mood for. This one being a little more balanced and aggressively hopped yet still sessionable without destroying my taste buds or dehydrating my tongue. If I was rating strictly on enthusiasm Stone IPA would get straight 5’s.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.