Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,889 | Hads: 10,326
3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

Very pale body, mostly yellow/amber with a hint of orange, and cloudy. Head is chunky and fizzy, looks to be dissolving pretty quickly down to 1/4". Aroma: Hops! Piney and spicy, very very grassy. First time a beer's aroma has ever actually reminded me of a freshly mowed lawn. A little bit of paprika, and salt? That's the kind of spicy I mean. Taste mostly the same. Moderately thin body somewhat overwhelmed by the hop flavor and bitterness, with a significant fusel-"hot" component. I'm a huge fan of Bell's Two Hearted so I thought I'd be all for a nice pale IPA, but... I'd have to pass on multiple pints of Stone IPA.

What is everyone else seeing here?? I'll have to give this another try at some point.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

A: Poured into my nonic tumbler with minimal head and no lacing. Retained a small fringe around the rim.
S: Flowery aromas gush at you immediately and then fade away to a hoppy smell.

T: Bland with a small hint of hops late in the drink. Not too much taste, probably due to the high carbonation washing away any flavor.

M: Fizzy with a left over dryness at the back of your mouth. Hard to swallow right away, this one needs to be dealt with by your taste buds first. Then the carbonation washes away everything.

D: Easy to drink if you can get past the carbonation. Did I say carbonation? My tongue feels numb and smooth. Not much warming from alcohol as one would expect.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured into standard pint glass--

It is a darker golden color, with bone white head rising 3 fingers. Very thick sheets of lace.

Sweet malty smell and a piney/resin hop presence. Taste has sweet caramel malt with a pine hop bitterness. Huge abrasive bitterness. The hop oil really coats your mouth and teeth, leaving everything feeling dirty and gritty.

This has good carbonation, but overall, this just isn't my preferred take on an American IPA. There is really not a whole lot of "taste" or flavor to this, just huge bitterness. It feels like that was the intent though, so I'm not giving this a negative review. I would prefer a Bell's Two Hearted over this any day of the week.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

As a fan of Stone's Pale Ale and IPAs in general, I thought this would be much better than what I found. It is sometimes available in my area.

I would not consider this offering to be "over-the-top" for an IPA as is Bell's "Two-Hearted". But it does somehow just miss the mark for what I prefer. I think the presence of PINE is overdone.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

What is it with me and Stone. I just can't wrap my head around their hop profiling. I love the RIS, Smoked Porter and Old Guardian, but I just don't like (m)any of their main offerings.

Poured into my pint glass. Nice foamy head, respectable lacing throughout the session.

Smell, typical stone hopped smell. Like this dysfunctional marriage of pine and citrus.

Taste is more of the same. Very piny, with some bastardized sour citrus thrown in.

Mouthfeel can best be described as "blech" as the sourness lingers from a relatively syrupy beer.

Got to be one of my least favorite IPAs. If you are forced to drink this against your will, I would suggest letting it warm way up. I drank the second half of the bomber at damn near room temperature, and it was much more palatable that way. I have had more than one of these, but I bought this bomber specifically to review it. Won't be buying anymore in the future. It's not all Stone's fault; there is some STEEP competition out here on the west coast. Just goes to show that any gorilla can dump a truck load of hops into the brewing vat. It takes an artist to carefully choreograph the delicate balance that makes a beer truly great.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Huge lychee, grapefruit and pine aroma, hops are very aromatic and sharp. Some nice sweetish malts quickly have the shit beaten out of them by a huge hop attack. The hops would have been delightful, if they'd used them in moderation. A lot of alcohol in the finish aswell. I mean its got a lot of flavour and all, but i just couldn't helped but be bored by the hops, overkill in this case made me- not disgusted, horrified or shocked- but bored, and that really surprised me. I was really dissapointed with how uncomplex it was.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Golden, pilsner-like appearance, with a frothy, meringue-like head and great lacing all the way down.

S - Fresh Centennial hops. (glad I planted some rhizomes last spring!)

T - A pretty typical IPA offering. A little stronger than some, but by no means high ABV. A bit more floral/citrus than, say, a Bridgeport, but also a bit more bitter. Similar to Titan IPA from Great Divide, but a little less sweet. I do prefer Titan to the Stone offering, but I'm a malt freak.

M - Very nice. Perfect amount of carbonation, a little residual stickiness without being heavy.

D - For me, this is just a little too bitter to be a "session" beer, but I could easily have a second.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours the color of tea with a foamy, white, inch-tall head that dissipates slowly. Attractive lacing.

The nose is wonderful with a big smell of citrus and pine. Hoppy, sharp, and herbal. Not quite something I'd wear as a cologne, but oh-so-close.

The major flavor is of pine and citrus rinds, with a hop bitterness that I find slightly overbearing. Making everything worse is the thin, flat, and astringent mouthfeel; while it tastes okay, I can't get past the fact that I'd rather swallow it right quick and get rid of it (leaving a delicious aftertaste, by the way) than hold it in my mouth and pick apart the flavors.

Sadly, though it seemed promising, I don't see myself revisiting this one.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I only really like a few IPA's. I'm really picky when it comes to these kinds of beers. This wasn't bad, just a little bitter initially. Almost like aspirin. Got better.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz. with no freshness date, but I've kept it for a several months to see what would happen. Served chilled in an enlarged flute. Pours an orangey color with a 1 finger tan head that leaves sticky lacing. Aroma consists of citric and piney hops with biscuity malts behind it. The flavor is the same but has an overpowering wet paper character that lets you know it is past its prime. It has a medium body and nice carbonation considering. When it was fresh it had a huge fluffy head and wonderful flavor - I will re-review when I get a fresh one.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Ah, my first beer in 6 days. I've been really looking forward to this.
Hazy golden orange color with a heafty bone white cap.
Aroma and Taste are on the Citrus end of the spectrum, very crisp and bright with a light baked biscuit accent.
fairly creamy mouthfeel that makes me desire more carbination overall.

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%

A - Orange/amber with nice sticky white head.

S - Hops, citrus, and more hops.

T - Surprisingly not much flavor. Citrus, hops, and a light brown sugar malt. There's some citrus rind in here as well.

M - Light to medium-boided. Almost watery, but swallows nice and even.

D - I don't really understand this beer. There's not much here. It's watery and there's hardly any mouthfeel at all. Don't think I'd get this again. Not impressed.

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

Stone IPA has a nice fruity/malty aroma. It’s a nice golden copper color with some mild carbonation and a thin flat white head that look really tasty. It hits your tongue with a nice crisp taste that is followed up by a thick malty flavored aftertaste that has a hint of sweetness to it and goes down quite easily.

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

We did a blind taste test between this beer and 4 others to determine which was a better IPA. The beers that were competing were: Stone IPA, Big Sky IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5, Lagunitas IPA, and Full Sail IPA. Here is the video:

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Reviewed on tap at Spitzer's in NYC.

A - poured a golden copper with a very nice head

S - smelled of sweet malt and a load of hops

T - the malts that are present are quickly overtaken by the piney, bitter hops. This was pretty unbalanced and too bitter to make it enjoyable.

M - goes down smoothly and a little thin

D - average drinkability. If you dislike super bitter IPAs, stay clear of this one; otherwise, I think you'l enjoy this one. Personally, I thought this was okay - it was very bitter at first but after a couple of drinks the bitterness became tolerable. Definitely not a bad IPA, just okay.

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Slightly hazy golden amber with a 1 & 1/2 finger foamy head. Plenty of sticky lacing.
Piney, citric hop nose with some underlying bready malt.
Starts sweet and fruity then transitions late into a overly strong acrid bitterness in the finish that continues to intensify long after the sip.
Creamy smooth mouthfeel.
Fresh and tasty to start, but too much straight bitterness way too long into the finish for my taste.
Not my favorite IPA.

Poured from a 22 fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a very light copper color with a three inch slightly off-white head. Great head retention that leave scattered amounts of lacing all throughout my glass. This is one of those heads that go down in places(like rocky).

I pick up a slight citrus smell and caramel malts, biscuit, honey with a slight pepperness s

Minimal citrus flavor with the malt character mainly dominating this one. What is it with this? I seem to have been having bad luck with IPAs recently.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Had better IPAs and wont seek this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 1 pt. 6 oz. bottle after a long day at work. If you like imperial IPAs, you'll like this one. Forms a good head. Dark coppery color, and a tad murky. Smells good. This beer is very rich, and tastes more like an imperial IPA than just a regular one. It's hearty with a good sweet-bitter balance. Unfortunately not really what I'm usually looking for in an IPA--just a little too intense for casual drinking. It's a tasty ale, very indulgent.

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer pours a hazy orange has a 1/2 finger head with decent retention and thick webs of lacing. The aroma was of grassy hops and not much else. The taste was spicy, bitter, roasted malt and it finished leaving a grassy hop taste. This beer was medium bodied and easy to drink.

Reflection: This is a pretty good beer but not what I was expecting from Stone. The hops never took over the beer it was very well balanced. Again great beer but not a great IPA in my opinion.

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

I tried this thinking it was considered a great IPA. I didn't get that at all. Extremely bitter, no hop aroma and very little flavor. As if all they added were the bittering hops. Consumed about 1 month after being bottled, perhaps that explains the loss of hop aroma and taste. Not for me, despite the rave reviews.

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

Looks, smells and tastes like an IPA. Nice beer. There are better out there. I liked it. I think if everyone tasted this blind -- without knowing who made it -- they might just find it a good competent IPA. I think the Stone reputation here has more to do with the high rating than actually tasting it objectively.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I dunno....I guess this kinda tasted like it was filtered and for the masses......kinda boring. lots of hops.... some floral notes......It was drinkable and ok but nothing special.

3.3/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For what it is, its a good IPA. But its by far not nearly what I expected.
Medium golden color with about a 1 finger head that left lacing to the bottem of the pint. Smells strongly of pine, citrus and alcohol. What got me about this was there was no depth to the flavor. It was a big hoppy start and then very little in between or in the end even. The overall flavor was decent--nice strong hop flavor, bitter orange peel. A very easy drinking IPA--would be easy to have 2 or 3 even. Nice carbonation, soft mouth feel and generally a clean finish. I guess I like my IPA's to leave a strong flavor on the back of my mouth and this doesn't. Overall its a good beer but not one I'd regularly reach for.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

This beer pours a golden amber color with a light foamy head that settled into a light lace. It has a sweet smell that tickles the nose with a spicy hops IPA tingle. This beer has a stronger bite then the Ruination IPA that Stone brews. It has a nice hops spice and a good blend of flavors but it doesn’t have the same IPA qualities as its sister beer. Where that beer seemed strong and sweet this one is more crisp and biting. It is less forgiving to someone that doesn’t know the power of an IPA. Its feel is hard and sharp. It cuts through your mouth with flavor and hits you with the IPA tingle. It finishes crisp and refreshing. In all this is a high quality IPA. It is not a masterpiece but well worth drinking if you like hops.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Drinking this right now poured out of a bottle into a Pint glass. Nice head and color. The smell is right on with other ipas. As for the taste... I had stone ipa ruination last week and personally I think this brew does more damage to your palate. Hops are very strong. Immediately attacking the back of your tongue. I feel like I can only have 2 of these and then I can't taste anything. Cant taste much alcohol but the buzz comes in nice and easy. It's a quality beer but i prefer something a bit more drinker friendly.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.