Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
gsp333

04-08-2013 22:14:57 | More by Kyrojack
rarevos

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy orange with a finger of fluffy white head that has good longevity.

S: Fruit (citrus: grapefruit, orange zest) and some light caramel malt. I'm getting some woodsy aromas as well. Not quite fully piney (like the Bridgeport IPA) but... herbal?

T/M: Oh, yikes. Way, way, way, way too phenolic. Malt and fruit suggested by the nose get totally overwhelmed by a pronounced flavor of Band-Aids. Extremely unpleasant, and somewhat greasy on the palate. I can tell that there's fruit in here, and I can sense the maltiness, but they both lose to the band-aids.

D: I drank most of the first pint, but poured the rest of my bomber down the drain. Ruination was a great beer, but this one...not so much.

12-01-2006 21:12:31 | More by rarevos
kojevergas

2.58/5  rDev -39%

Served on draught into a generic beer glass at The Lab in Los Angeles (by USC). Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice soft cream, fair thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a hazy light gold.

Sm: Light floral and banana notes, some bubblegum, and orange peel. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Admixtures of the notes on the nose form a bad balance. Structurally, it's problematic, with no satisfying climax. Poorly built and balanced.

Mf: Sharp, coarse, and wet. Terrible. Doesn't suit the body at all. A classic example of the problem with IPAs.

Dr: I was disappointed having heard such great things about Stone Brewing. I paid 5 USD in LA, which isn't terrible, but I won't be having this one again.

---
12/05/13: It's been over 2 years since I sat down with this beer, and I figured I'd add some truncated notes since my palate's probably developed.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Castle Rock, CO. Reviewed live. Enjoy by: 12/24/13.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show.

Pours a 3 finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy. Okay creaminess. Decent thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of above avg vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent.

Standard fare for an IPA overall. Not unique or special.

Sm: Plenty of generic floral hop character. Pale malts. A hint of grapefruit. Pine. Some mango. Maybe even passionfruit. Fairly grassy. Plenty of hop bitterness is detectable, and the malts seem inadequate to balance it. I'm really concerned about the balance. There's maybe a brief hint of crackery malts.

A clean aroma - no yeast character or alcohol presence is noticeable.

T: Hop character: primarily floral, with some lighter notes of pine, mango fruit, grapefruit, and some tropical fruit. The pine is nice I guess. As it warms, I pick up a stale orange juice note - one of the off-notes that indicates a subpar IPA.

Pale malts. Maybe some caramalt.

The hop bitterness overwhelms what little malty sweetness there is, resulting in an annoying imbalance. I do like some of the fruity notes here. It has a loose cohesion, but feels a bit thrown together. Too bitter on the finish. Not gestalt, unique, special, nuanced, intricate, complex, or subtle. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, wet, rough, unrefreshing, and overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile okay. Doesn't seem at all custom-tailored to the taste.

Dr: Downable but problematic. Stone, as usual, displays little awareness of balance with this beer. I won't be buying it again, nor would I recommend it to friends. I remain shocked by this beer's high ratings. It's by no means world-class, or even above average. I stand by my initial rating.

C-

09-19-2011 04:44:29 | More by kojevergas
jantonius

2.68/5  rDev -36.6%

A: Nice Golden Color with thick creamy head

S: Big Hops. Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons....Very Strong Nose.

T: Really nice California IPA, great citrus tones with a grapefruit finish

M: Medium body, slightly above average carbonation

D: Very well balanced beer from Stone, one of those beers that go well with anything. Nothing that impresses, but definitely consistent.

11-26-2009 02:56:27 | More by jantonius
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a white, two finger-head that vanishes slowly leaving a good lace. Clear light amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a strong hop. Starts with hops, somewhere there are malts - there is a trace of sweetness but the hops dominate, bitter finish that lingers. $2.30 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

11-15-2005 23:30:39 | More by jdhilt
RedwoodGeorge

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The brew pours a pale straw-yellow color with only a minimal head. Very quickly the foam dies down to a small ring leaving no real lacing to speak of.

The smell was interesting, plenty of IPA notes of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

The taste was quite disappointing for a Stone brew. While there was a balance of malt and hops, the hops notes were anything but attractive. Instead of a bold, active hops note there was some light, lavendar floral taste. Not at all what I'd expect from an American IPA. I usually praise beers that are balanced and this one certainly has a good bready malt body to balance the hops but there's really no hops to balance.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it's a medium bodied brew with enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. There are no oily or astringent aftertaste to detract from the experience.

As for drinkability, I think it speaks volumes that I regret having bought a six pack of this before trying one. I'm about halfway through and my opinion hasn't changed - this just isn't an interesting IPA.

02-24-2005 21:35:27 | More by RedwoodGeorge

South Carolina

07-12-2013 05:55:15 | More by Bdiddy4826
Bierschenker

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Big thanks to Mzwolinski for bringing this one over.
I was really surprised to have a taste of this one. This is totally new to me.

Poured it in a robust Hoegaarden glass.
Smells very fruity: raspberry and peaches. Combined with spices and malty caramel.
It pours out a blond-amber coloured beer. Not a lot of head, but a good carbonation.
A very bitter fruit skin taste with rich hops, unripe citrus is very overpowering and lingers on into the aftertaste.
This is a full bodied beer, but totally not my taste.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-17-2005 12:13:42 | More by Bierschenker
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

Every bottle I've ever had of this has been near or past it's best by date. So I've never wanted to review it. Since Stone is leaving the state I'm forced to review what I can get. 10/6/10 is the latest date I could find.

A: Poured into my delerium tulip the beer is bright orange gold. A full finger of white head receded rather quick leaving soapy lace. No cap.

S: Huge pine blast that fades into a mild burnt rubber tone. Not much else going on here.

T: Very one note. I've had this on tap so I know it's not just a freshness thing. This beer is all bitter all the time. Piney, acrid and harsh. Again maybe a touch of burnt tires.

M: Medium body with modest carbonation.

D: Overall as always an absolute chore to drink. I love hop bombs but this is nowhere near that. I really don't see why this beer gets so much praise.

11-23-2010 13:01:54 | More by beerwolf77
drperm

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass.

09-24-2009 01:42:52 | More by drperm
jjamadorphd

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

I heard so much about Stone IPA, now that I've had two different IPAs, I'm beginning to think IPAs are the brew for me...

Stone IPA pours out of the bottle an orange tinged amber, cloudy, but still appealing to the eyes. The head is small, has no staying power, but surprisingly laces all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel was very strong and overpowering on the carbonation - possibly the highest carbonation I've tried to date - it just detracted from the taste. The taste itself was IPA all the way - something I've come to terms with that I'm just not a fan of. Overall, it's a good beer, but not much better or worse than the other IPA I've tried.

12-21-2012 02:45:35 | More by jjamadorphd
johnnybgood1999

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

I went to Richmond and visited total wine witht the intention of tasting some brews I cannot get in Missouri-where I go to school. Anything from Stone was high on my list. This ale did not live up to its reputation. Apearance and smell were average. A nice hoppy aroma was very apparant signalling a good IPA. The taste was average as well. The ale seemed to possess no balance. The consistency was very light,which I did not like. It was hoppy enough for an IPA, but something did not click for me. Other IPA's, such as those put out by Great Divide and Avery, are more to my taste. I was excited about this ale and almost wonder if I got a bad bottle of the IPA and Smoked Porter, considering the rave reviews they recieve.

01-09-2009 04:31:31 | More by johnnybgood1999
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.