Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

2.76/5  rDev -34.6%

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Big thanks to Mzwolinski for bringing this one over.
I was really surprised to have a taste of this one. This is totally new to me.

Poured it in a robust Hoegaarden glass.
Smells very fruity: raspberry and peaches. Combined with spices and malty caramel.
It pours out a blond-amber coloured beer. Not a lot of head, but a good carbonation.
A very bitter fruit skin taste with rich hops, unripe citrus is very overpowering and lingers on into the aftertaste.
This is a full bodied beer, but totally not my taste.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

Every bottle I've ever had of this has been near or past it's best by date. So I've never wanted to review it. Since Stone is leaving the state I'm forced to review what I can get. 10/6/10 is the latest date I could find.

A: Poured into my delerium tulip the beer is bright orange gold. A full finger of white head receded rather quick leaving soapy lace. No cap.

S: Huge pine blast that fades into a mild burnt rubber tone. Not much else going on here.

T: Very one note. I've had this on tap so I know it's not just a freshness thing. This beer is all bitter all the time. Piney, acrid and harsh. Again maybe a touch of burnt tires.

M: Medium body with modest carbonation.

D: Overall as always an absolute chore to drink. I love hop bombs but this is nowhere near that. I really don't see why this beer gets so much praise.

2.84/5  rDev -32.7%

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass.

2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

I heard so much about Stone IPA, now that I've had two different IPAs, I'm beginning to think IPAs are the brew for me...

Stone IPA pours out of the bottle an orange tinged amber, cloudy, but still appealing to the eyes. The head is small, has no staying power, but surprisingly laces all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel was very strong and overpowering on the carbonation - possibly the highest carbonation I've tried to date - it just detracted from the taste. The taste itself was IPA all the way - something I've come to terms with that I'm just not a fan of. Overall, it's a good beer, but not much better or worse than the other IPA I've tried.

2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

I went to Richmond and visited total wine witht the intention of tasting some brews I cannot get in Missouri-where I go to school. Anything from Stone was high on my list. This ale did not live up to its reputation. Apearance and smell were average. A nice hoppy aroma was very apparant signalling a good IPA. The taste was average as well. The ale seemed to possess no balance. The consistency was very light,which I did not like. It was hoppy enough for an IPA, but something did not click for me. Other IPA's, such as those put out by Great Divide and Avery, are more to my taste. I was excited about this ale and almost wonder if I got a bad bottle of the IPA and Smoked Porter, considering the rave reviews they recieve.

2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin!

2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into oskar blues pint glass.
Pours a brite gold color with an inch of rocky bone white head. Aroma, well, there isn't much going on here. Faint malt scent, muted pine hops. Hope this gets better. Flavor follows the scents, muddled hops, muted malt presence. Nice mouthfeel, I'm sure these fine bubbles would help scrub the bitterness from my pallate... if there was any. Overall, I've had american pale ales that blow this beer out of the water. I will add a caveat to this review, I started my night out with alpha king and had this beer right after eating some crackers to "cleanse" my pallate. I also expected an ipa to bring more to the party than it little brother. I will be revisiting this beer, but my initial impression is that stone may be needing a facelift with this brew.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

poured into a schnifter. pours a light copper with about a finger of medium bodied white head which disappears quickly and leaves stringy lacing.

smells very yeasty, a bit of malt sweetness with an alright piney hop presence.

tastes only a tad piney. very well balanced malt and hop flavors. was hoping for more hop flavor in a ipa though. still not bad

this is one of the best beginner beers out there as it is readily available almost anywhere and is relatively inexpensive. not one of the best ipas but it certainly has earned its reputation.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

This is ok, slightly with some malty sweetness to round out the hoppiness. However, it is still rather simple, straightfoward in citrusy hops, and too rough on the hops, a sharp, rough hop bitterness with little real flavour taking over in the finish, drying out my mought and making my tongue and throat feel like someone energetically rubbed them with a terrycloth towel.

It orange gold, it has a thin, white head shrinking to a foamy ring and a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly citrusy hops, especially grapefruit, with a hint of pine.

The taste is again mostly citrus - grapefruit - with pine and a light raisiny grain sweetness underneath, but not quite enough to carry it. It's far too bitter, with some malty sweetness to balance and a grain element in the finish, but too unbalanced and sharply bitter. Making a beer, even an IPA really bitter, simply does not to me equal good beer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.