Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,934 | Ratings: 10,606
3.3/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For what it is, its a good IPA. But its by far not nearly what I expected.
Medium golden color with about a 1 finger head that left lacing to the bottem of the pint. Smells strongly of pine, citrus and alcohol. What got me about this was there was no depth to the flavor. It was a big hoppy start and then very little in between or in the end even. The overall flavor was decent--nice strong hop flavor, bitter orange peel. A very easy drinking IPA--would be easy to have 2 or 3 even. Nice carbonation, soft mouth feel and generally a clean finish. I guess I like my IPA's to leave a strong flavor on the back of my mouth and this doesn't. Overall its a good beer but not one I'd regularly reach for.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

This beer pours a golden amber color with a light foamy head that settled into a light lace. It has a sweet smell that tickles the nose with a spicy hops IPA tingle. This beer has a stronger bite then the Ruination IPA that Stone brews. It has a nice hops spice and a good blend of flavors but it doesn’t have the same IPA qualities as its sister beer. Where that beer seemed strong and sweet this one is more crisp and biting. It is less forgiving to someone that doesn’t know the power of an IPA. Its feel is hard and sharp. It cuts through your mouth with flavor and hits you with the IPA tingle. It finishes crisp and refreshing. In all this is a high quality IPA. It is not a masterpiece but well worth drinking if you like hops.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Drinking this right now poured out of a bottle into a Pint glass. Nice head and color. The smell is right on with other ipas. As for the taste... I had stone ipa ruination last week and personally I think this brew does more damage to your palate. Hops are very strong. Immediately attacking the back of your tongue. I feel like I can only have 2 of these and then I can't taste anything. Cant taste much alcohol but the buzz comes in nice and easy. It's a quality beer but i prefer something a bit more drinker friendly.

3.32/5  rDev -21.5%

This is the final beer of my Stone "kick". This beer pours a thin burnt gold with a one finger white head. The aromas are of bitter pine. It's nothing I haven't seen before. The flavors are of pine and grapefruit, yet both bitter and sweet. The malt kind of becomes rather prevalent after a few sips and gives it a moderate amount of sweetness. This beer drinks between light and medium with a very, very dry finish. I hate dry finishes. I'm not a fan of induced cotton mouth and this beer brings it. It's unfair to this one that I compare it to Ruination and their 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA but this one doesn't hold a candle to either. The cotton mouth is a little much and it isn't as complex as their other aforementioned IPAs. This beer is pretty average in my opinion, as far as IPAs go.

3.32/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz bottle, enjoy by date of 05.06.12

appears a golden in color, minimal white head. strong hop aroma- herbal, slightly flowery, a bit piney.

hops dominate the taste too, very minimal malt. spicey. I think it needs some balance. thin body with fairly high carbonation.

overall - nice hop flavors, but in my opinion needs some more malt body.

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Cloudy straw colour with a nice bubbly and lacey head.

Smells slightly of honey with candy sweet floral hops.

Floral hop flavors dominate the entire experience. Hops are one-dimensional as well. Beer has some soapy flavors going on.

I know I am going against the masses on this one, but I am really not that impressed. I like a more dynamic hop character in an IPA, I found this one rather powerful, yet lacking in complexities. A good beer, but I have had far superior IPA's.

3.36/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a pale straw-yellow color with a decent head.

S: The smell was plenty of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

T: The taste was disappointing. No sense of any malt at all. All hop bitterness...and not in a way that appealed to me. I get that thi is an IPA...but just bitter is not what I want.

M: Pretty good...medium bodied.

O: One and done for me. There are other IPA's I prefer. Two hearted, Green Flash, Hop Devil.

3.37/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle, pours pale amber and slightly hazy, with a big white head and signficant lacing. There are a lot of beers that smell and taste hoppy, but this is one of a very few beers that looks hoppy-- if you look at the glass closely, you can see clouds of emulsified hop oils; pretty cool, and maybe a little ominous.

The aroma is loaded with pine and citrus character-- the dry-hopping really shows here. As far as I can tell, they didn't use cool hops (although it smells like there MIGHT be amarillo in there somewhere), but this doesn't smell as mundane and straightforward as a lot of west coast IPAs.

Opens up with citric hop flavor and some nondescript fruitiness. The finish is intense bitterness that sucks your soul out through your tongue. Bittering seems even more over the top since this beer is so empty mid-palate, and because the malt backbone is light to nonexistent.

Mouthfeel is thick and resinous, with low carbonation.

I looked forward to relaxing with one of these (and pairing it with some spicy chicken arabiatta), but the balance is no good-- bittering is out of control compared to the rest of the beer.

It's a damn shame too, because it smells so nice.

3.37/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a hazed golden orange color with a modest but lasting off-white head. The smell is overwhelmingly citrusy hops as an IPA should be, but not far behind it is a nice biscuity malt and a light sweetness as well. The taste is , whew!, a very sharp citrus hop bite that hangs around but slowly lessens to reveal the fresh baked bread flavored malt that stands distantly behind. This is a medium bodied brew that finishes almost brutally dry.

Notes: This one is just about the hops IMHO. Have you ever chewed on hop pellets...this is what it's like. I tried it at 50 degrees and on and off all the way to 60 degress and I can't get more of the malts. If you like balanced brews, this one is not for you. These kinds of brews are not hard to produce. It is okay, but not real good. It is rather one dimensional to come from a brewery of this caliber. Shocking to me that it is top rated when there are so many more complex beers out there. Cheers!

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap. Pours clear copper with a fluffy white head. The foam dies down to leave a considerable amount of lacing. Smells well-hopped, with heavy citrus. Only a hint of malt and some sweet light fruit. Tastes outright heavily hopped, with notes of dish soap predominant. Maybe it's the mixture of citrus and resin, but whatever the taste is, it's unpleasant. Gets better as it warms and as the palette gets numb to it. Pleasant sweet malt eventually shows through. Medium body. I don't know what it is about the hops Stone uses---I really enjoy other IPAs and DIPAs, but both this and Ruination have had the same soapy quality, and I'm not a big fan.

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: apricot 1 1/2 finger foam lacing till last drop
S: grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit zest little hop
T: grapefruit, hops , little pine
F: nice creamy
O: taste like grapefruit I personally likr the black ipa better

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

- Pretty typical appearance and texture for an IPA.

- Aroma is interesting--a bit of citrus and pine with something else I just couldn't place. Not bad, but it didn't draw me in.

- I definitely agree with some other reviewers about the grapefruit bitterness up front. It's a bit overpowering, especially when taking a lot in at a time--it really does taste like unsweetened grapefruit juice with some pine at the end. After the bitterness cleared up, though, I got a really nice malty breadiness. I just wish it had come sooner, since the overwhelming hops presence isn't all that pleasant.

- Drinkable, but go slowly. Taking in too much at once bombards the palate with astringent hops.

Some might like the bitterness (and Stone writes clearly on the bottle that they loaded their IPA with hops), but it just isn't for me.

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance - Shows a bright golden orange with a very thin white head. Leaves a nice lacing throughout the glass.

Smell - Strong hop scent with hints of citrus in the background.

Taste - Dominant hop flavor that lingers on the tongue but an aftertaste of grapefruit and an unknown sweetness help balance it out very well.

Mouthfeel - This has a refreshing feel to it. It's on the low side of medium as far as carbonation goes which is great. Leaves a mellow coating of bitterness but nothing overbearing.

Overall - I really enjoyed this beer. It is well balanced and highly drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Crystal, Golden Color. Not much head retention and a little lacing. Typical to style.

S - There is a pretty hoppy smell here. It has the citrus and some grapefruit, but it really smells like opening a bag of hops. It smells like hops.

T - There is a sweet malty taste, not too dry. The hops come through (there are definitely some C hops in here), and thee is a very clean bitterness in the end (tastes like Magnum). Very well bittered.

M - Good carbonation, not to light.

D - It's a good IPA, just not my favorite. It is what you would expect a Stone IPA to taste like.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler from Consumer Beverages. Bright orange color with a nice head. I like the color of this. Aroma is fruity and floral with some sweet malts. Starts out with lots of malt sweetness but gets more bitter and dry towards the finish. Not bad, but a pretty average IPA.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a chance to try this on tap. Stone beers seem to be popping up all over now a days.

It had a typical, floral-like smell, which is common in most IPAs. Actually pretty strong, which made it so deceiving the flavor was quite mild and not as hoppy as I would have expected.

I am not the biggest IPA fan, but this was pretty good. As noted, I didn't find it overly hoppy, so if that is what you are looking for, you may want to try something else.

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a slightly hazy bright gold. One finger creamy white head that provides some lacing. Nice carbonation: steady streams of tiny bubbles throughout. Aroma is piney hops with rosemary/floral on orange marmalade on crackers. Pine-grapefruit taste, no sweetness here. Bitterness dominates mouthfeel yet creamy. Lingering bitterness.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Paid $3.99 for 22 oz. Good smell, good taste, maltyness washed away by the dominating hops. You could drink a lot of this, but I'd spend your money on a cheaper IPA as this isn't anything terribly special. A great brew from Stone, but they've got many other far better beers than this.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

transcribed from a super old rating.

12 oz. bottle tasted blind.

pours hazy gold with little white head.

Solid aroma of jasmine and lemon.

Unfortunately, something just tasted off and out of balance for this IPA and the bitterness just did not work for my palate.

Super dry crisp clean mouthfeel with solid carbonation and a quick finish.

Overall, a solid IPA, representative of what Stone does with hops.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Massive bitter assault and nothing else for me. Choked it down with the help of some spicy food. Not too fond of other Stone offerings either, other than their pale ale. Maybe I'm just a sissy.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Good for the style, just a little too much for me. High marks for quality, low on drinkability. Pour is a slightly cloudy hay yellow. Thin crown dissipates quickly. Alpha hop is strong and forward, not the balance I enjoy in singles.

Another good Stone offering, just marked aggressiveness for a single-IPA.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

A hazy yellowish color with a decent amount of head to the beer. A nice white head with a bit of lacing left behind.

Floral hops smell dominate some citrus smells to it grapefruity. A malt and pine smell on the end.

A hoppy, bitter taste to the brew. Very one sided and ends with a citrus/grapefruit finish that lingers for a while on the tongue. Definitely has a better smell than taste to it.

A smooth beer with a medium body to it and a bit underwhelming carbonation.

This is a decent IPA at best to me. Too bitter for my tastes. I can drink, but usually would chose not to if I have any choice in the matter.

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%

First, I an NOT a hophead so this isn't a beer I would purchase, it was given to me by a friend who didn't like it. Having said that this wasn't a bad experience. It poured an slightly hazy orange tan into a pint glass, produced a nice 2 finger head that stuck around for awhile. Of course it had a very hoppy aroma with overtones of floral and citrus. I was surprised by the flavor, while the hop flavor was pronounced it was well balanced by a touch of malt sweetness.Thought the carbonation was on the spot and the brew went down easy. But I dont think this a beer I could drink more than one or two of in a sitting.

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

Cloudy bright amber in color. Powerful hops aroma, some citrus coming through. The taste is not as hoppy as it smells. I guess the bark is worse than the bite. Very smooth beer, especially for an IPA. Overall a good drink for a small session. Half of the attraction is the bottle art, for sure.

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Transparent medium amber body. An aggressive pour only produced a head of 1 finger. The tiny bubbles constantly rising to the top (which is great because I'm drinking this from a standard pint glass) give this one a decent head retention. Eventually a thin collar remains and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Wonderful bouquet of citrus, floral, and earthy hops with a sweet caramel malt backbone.

T- A balance of herbal and citrus hop taste upfront with a weak caramel malt backbone. The finish is mostly herbal hops with a caramel malt sweetness. Lingering bitterness is aggressive and somewhat unpleasant. Also lingering is an herbal hop taste, caramel malt sweetness, and alcohol warmth.

M- Aggressive carbonation and oily body of medium thickness.

D- This is a decent IPA but not one of my favorites. I was surprised that the alcohol was detected in this medium ABV brew. This one is full of hop flavor and bitterness. I may revisit this one again.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.