1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Ratings: 7,432 | Reviews: 2,703 | Show All Ratings:
FranklinPCombs

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

The Stone IPA pours with a vibrant orange color, which is slightly clouded in appearance. the thick foamy white head leaves a thick, clinging lace around the glass. The first smell immediately presents a sharp hoppy scent surrounded by soy and citrus rind, with an underpinning of apples, pine and malt. The mouthfeel is smooth, although contrasted by the play of carbonation on the middle of the tongue. The taste is subtle, while not at all lacking. Starting with a fruity maltness, it builds to a hoppy bitter within about 5 seconds, with some citrus hints lingering. It blends to a bitter hoppy aftertaste which makes one want to eat something salty, which of course makes you want to drink more. This, of course, is always good. I put this ale high on my list.

06-30-2003 15:55:35 | More by FranklinPCombs
usualpulp

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WoW. This is one amazing beer. I had been waiting for a while for more Stone brews to come to Texas, and got very excited when I saw the IPA at the store, sadly there was only one bottle left. The beer pours a nice golden color with a white foamy head. The beer is very bubbly and makes it quite nice to look at after it is poured. The smell of the beer is great, very very hoppy, with a fruit smell, possibly grapefruit. With the first taste the hops hit you like a hammer, then the fruit kicks in, all of the flavors meld terrific.The beer is dry yet wet at the same time, making this one great beer for hot weather. This goes on my list as one of my top beers. Hopefully more Stone brews become available here soon.

06-24-2003 18:15:40 | More by usualpulp
TXHops

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ABV: 6.9%

Mmm—Stone IPA… This was the first non-Arrogant Bastard Stone beer I tried. I bought a boat load of Stone on a trip to Arizona, and drank the IPA first for two reasons—I expected it to pale in comparison with the likes of Old Gaurdian and Ruination and because at the time (March 2003) it was due to be available in Texas within days. Well, it’s mid-June and IPA is finally here! Anyway, I’m sorry I so under-estimated this beer, because it might just be my favorite Stone. The brilliant, clear gold body sports a stylishly-contrasted white, creamy head and a massive aroma of fruity PacNW hops OTHER than Cascades. The nose isn’t one-dimensional either, just like the beer itself. Under the fresh, floral, green hoppiness is a touch of earthy maltiness and a soft, fruity sweetness. The flavor is identical, with the bitterness being far from assertive, allowing the hops to be flavorful, not astringent. The pale maltiness shows even more of the fruitiness in the flavor than it did in the nose. The velvety smooth fruitiness glides effortlessly past the initial hop smack and doesn’t end until a touch of alcoholic warmth reminds me that this is almost 7% ABV. How a beer that’s this hoppy can maintain this kind of balance and still be as quintessential an example of an American IPA as I’ve tried, I honestly don’t know. Masterful brewing, simply masterful.

06-22-2003 20:29:30 | More by TXHops
kindestcut

3.85/5  rDev -9%

The Stone IPA pours a clear gold, bordering on orange-yellow. The white head is small but leaves a visible lace as the glass is drained. This is a very bright beer.

The aroma is extremely hoppy and spicy. I can tell by the aroma (and the Stone name coincidentally) that this is a hoppy brew. Upon forst taste, I am amazed that the hoppiness is not more intense. Now, come on, I didn't mean that this is not an intensely hoppy beer. It is. I'm just surprised that the over-the-top Stone has brewed an IPA here that is rather well balanced, although very heavy on the hops.

I can taste a malt foundation with a tremendous hoppy body. The floral-citrus bitterness dominates to be sure, but there is far more flavor than you'd think. Although I am not a huge fan of overly hoppy beers, I believe I could have more than one of these. An amazing thing that I never would have guessed.

06-18-2003 16:13:38 | More by kindestcut
longpondbeerman

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had to wait a while to get my hands on this ale; then, lo and behold, I go into Half Time Beverages in Poughkeepsie, NY (see beerfly reviews--this place is awesome!) and not only can I pick up bottles of this, it's also on tap. So I get a six-pack and a growler--I mean why not? Right now, I'm reviewing the bottled one, though they're not too different (a better mouthfeel from the tap, I think). Anyway, this pours a medium gold with a noticeable off-white head that left a modest intricate lace. The smell was complex--hops for sure, but balanced by just the slightest citrus and some sweetness, but I could not figure out from what. I was intrigued. The first taste was brash, good and powerful hops, but it mellowed quickly, too quickly even, as the finish I thought was nondescript. Nevertheless this has a pleasant, light mouthfeel (on tap there seemed to be just a bit more body). Very drinkable for an ale with such high alcohol content, so be cautious.

06-16-2003 03:54:44 | More by longpondbeerman
WanderingFool

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Being a big fan of both IPA's and Stone I was psyched when I found a bottle of their IPA. It pours a slightly hazy golden blond color with a thin white head that faded to a ring around the beer. The aroma is mainly citrus, but I detect some toasted malts there as well. Each sip is packed with flavor. Toasted malts, citrus and a hoppy bitterness complete each sip. A slightly sticky palate and linger hoppy flavors remain behind.

This beer is very drinkable and hides it's 7% abv very well. I can't wait to get another bottle.

06-15-2003 14:32:21 | More by WanderingFool
Stingray5

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a golden orange with a big white head that lasts and lasts. Beautiful spicy, floral aromas with hints of pine and grapefruit. Taste is all hops but with some nice, sweet malt undertones. Very earthy.

My second Stone experience, the IPA is a different beast than the Bastard, but just as respectable. I've been spoiled, and it's going to be tough to go back!

05-29-2003 19:42:04 | More by Stingray5
OatmattStout

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Hop head heaven. This beer had more hop flavors than any other IPA I have tasted. To start it poored a nice deep amber coloer and had a nice rich head. From the first sip you get a srucy, and piney and bitter hop taste. Oh yeah there is substantial malt backbone here to even off. This beer for me not being a true hop head yet but enjoying more and more powerful IPA's, started off bitter but by the end i thought it was great and was sad to see the bottle empty. I will have this one again when I can get it.

05-28-2003 19:00:32 | More by OatmattStout
kmo1030

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great beer. I am new to stone brewing company ( i got my first 6 pack yesterday), but this beer was impressive. it is a hazy light orange color with a substantial not quite white head. the smell is awesome, something like citrusy freshly cut grass. the taste had a slight carmel nut malt flavor, that balances more than it first seems. hops dominate the middle and end coating your mouth with a big resinous spicy grapefruit flavor. Medium bodied, with a drinkabilty that, in my opinon is very high. i noticed it was very smooth for a bottled beer. a very, very good IPA.

05-21-2003 21:05:53 | More by kmo1030
jeffboo

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

It's hop time. This hop monster looks great in a pint glass, and I'm glad that the bottle will top it off for a little while longer, I love the looks of this one: very orange in color with big,puffy foamy top that sticks around for the ride. The bouquet is citrus and flowers, many different kinds, with a good amount of malt in the backround. The flavor follows the nose's lead with a good dose of malt balanced nicely with a floral,citrus hop flavor. A very complex hoppiness about it, the malt could use a bit of complexity, but hey , that's what the Arrogant is about. The texture is nectar-like, which I love but may be thick and chewy for some. A great beer for the hop fix!

05-21-2003 19:45:45 | More by jeffboo
oberon

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a really nice peach color with small but rocky head that stuck to the glass,wow the smell,first whiff is freshly mowed grass it hits ur nasal passages like a freight train.Very citruisy taste hits u first but the maltiness in the background really balances this out nicely.Iam sometimes leery about getting west coast IPA's but this one is nicely balanced.Stone has to be a world renown brewery by now their beers are just so world class.

05-20-2003 11:42:04 | More by oberon
jcalabre

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

This is another world class beer from Stone. Take it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes or so before opening it, then lavish yourself in the beautiful floral aroma of hops. It's readily available in six packs in my area, so I'm spoiled. It has the hoppy, citrusy flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA. I've used this beer on four occassions to introduce a BMC type to real beer. Each time was successful.

05-20-2003 08:01:42 | More by jcalabre
feloniousmonk

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

The grim, growling gargoyle glares at you from the label, both offering protection from all things bland and dire, and also daring those not ready to indulge in a torrent of flavor to begone, and be untroubled by these blissful beers.
Appearance: a perfect, peachy hue, and a good, frothy white head.
Nose: somethin' else! A panoply of fruit, a citric cornucopia! Peaches and apricot, grapefruit, pineapple, melon, berries, and more, all in one little aroma!
Alert and lively, zesty, generous, and gorgeous!
Taste: superb! Fantastic flavor, yet none too bitter. A huge blast of hops jumps on the tongue, but not so severely. A firm body, also, excellent balance and malt backbone.
More of a piney feel comes through as we drink, but it's a minor note among so many others. Finish is medium, but tasty and satisfactory.
This is an IPA the way they are supposed to be!
If these excellent ales were available in my area, you can be sure that my fridge would be stocked well with these! Tasty, and drinkable, and rewarding!

05-19-2003 20:16:29 | More by feloniousmonk
dwarbi

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a creamy, white head, that's uneven and thick and provides excellent lacing. The beer itself is a nice golden color. The aroma is strongly hoppy, and it tastes much the same. The mouthfeel is a little odd: somwhat cakey and off. It stils feels good on the palate, and is very drinkable. This is a very strong and imposing beer.

05-18-2003 19:30:08 | More by dwarbi
Reidrover

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought in the ubiquitous 22 oz brown bomber..with as always the imformative back panel.
Ok this is simply a marvelous IPA to just look at..a work of art it seems a shame to have to drink it! Hazy light amber colour with a fantatsic large creamy white head..even the carbonation strings seem perfect!
Well the aroma of the hops is also great..its a treat to the nasal passages, quite flowery but yet not sweet smelling.
well what can is ay about the taste but hops, hops,hops yet it alo has a creamy sweetness..that isnt completelly over whelmed by the hops ( this must be a Stone thing, I tasted the same in the 03-03-03 Vertical)..very nice.
Great feel in the mouth with just the right amount of hop aftertatse to keep one coming back for another sip.
Most drinkable IPA I ever had..very good indeed.

05-10-2003 23:46:01 | More by Reidrover
TPoling

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Imagine walking through a field of flowers. See the cool colors amid the green. Take in the fresh scents. Now drink it. That is the essence of Stone IPA.

This India pale ale from Stone Brewing Co. is the second of the company's well-respected beer line to make it into Texas. It follows the strong and malty Arrogant Bastard Ale, which endears itself to drinkers by declaring the prospective drinker is not worthy to drink it and probably won't like it.

Stone IPA is a little less heavy on the malt and leaves a crispness that lets the Chinook and Cascade hops shine through. This would stand up great to Mexican food, with the hops cutting through the heat of the chile and is refreshing enough not to add to the heaviness of the abundance of melted cheese, meat and lard-laden refritos. The bad news is they probably don't sell this in the same places you can buy a No. 2 dinner.

The first time I opened this beer -- with great expectations of taste -- it took a full five minutes before it passed my lips because the scent was so intoxicating. Even my wife, who does not drink alcohol, was pleased with the nose. Car air fresheners could be right around the corner.

If I could afford a case of this stuff at $3.79 a bottle, this would be my summer drink of choice and share a special place of honor next to the assortment of hefe weizens that crowd the beerarator when the thermostat gets over 90, usually beginning in March.

05-01-2003 13:59:45 | More by TPoling
BierReise

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Nice IPA but with the high ratings over this one I expected something more than exceptional. Has a nice marriage of malt/hop flavor and only a slight bitterness compared to most other IPA's I've had over the years. I still think the Alesmith beats this one though. I will definately drink it again, but there are many just as good as this one and better.

04-30-2003 09:33:34 | More by BierReise
MJR

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Pours a pale copper with faint gold edges. Good clarity. The head is a sticky, thin cap that leaves lots of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is raw and pungent with hops leaping out of the glass. Pine, grapefruit rind, and a touch of citrus are the strongest scents. There's a decent malt backbone, but it merely serves to hold up the hop profile. I barely pick up on a whisper of caramel.

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops! No surprise there... This one has a nice firm bitterness that tends to overwhelm the malt base. Is that apple I detect? The grains comes across as a bit fruity and more caramelly than anything else. There's a touch of alcohol on the tail end. Starts bitter, finishes bitter...a well done IPA.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat medium in thickness with a dry, crisp mouthfeel. Small swipe of alcohol on the finish. I really wish Stone would bottle-condition their beers...

Drinkability: Pretty good for the style. Believe it or not, I expected this brew to be bigger and with more hops... I much prefer their Ruination IPA to this. Still a damn good IPA though...

04-21-2003 18:52:24 | More by MJR
dmarch

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Although this is a wonderful beer,this is certainly not the best Stone has to offer. Then again, at the time of this review there are 5 stone beers in the top 50 so that's not really that negative of a comment. It's a golen color with a large white head. The aroma and taste is all hops. No surprise there. In my opinion, this isn't top 50 material. I always expect something big from Stone, but this is just simply a solid IPA.

04-21-2003 16:44:39 | More by dmarch
Darkale

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Cloudy orange, full hops aroma, a short head with light lacing which revives with a quick shake.

Taste is not surprising. Hops, hops, hops! And just a bit less creamy sweetness than their Ruination IPA. But, still, more than enough malt to keep the hops from overwhelming the beer.

Aftertaste is a shade sharp and bitter from the hops, and lasts longer than the Ruination.

Hoppy, hoppy, joy, joy.

04-16-2003 18:36:23 | More by Darkale
BigHead

Arizona

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I felt like I was strolling along a hop field when I pour this beer and got a hint of the aroma. Hops, hops, hops, the floral bouquet of the hops are awesome!! The beer looks great as well, a good head on top of the golden brew with a slight cloudiness. Oh man, the taste is gooood. The character of the hops just taste fresh and citrus aftertaste with a feeling of hops blossomming on the roof of my mouth. The citrus and floral tones feel like a slight burn but a good one. The beer is very drinkable and a great IPA.

04-15-2003 17:46:56 | More by BigHead
johnrobe

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Outstanding! This brew and SN Celebration are my two favorite IPAs. It pours a light amber in the glass with a thin white head. The aroma is very complex, heavenly! Citrus, pine, grapefruit, and sweet malt wonderfully intermingled. You'd swear you're standing in a Washington hop field during harvest. Layer after layer of hops flavors dominate the taste. Pineapple and grapefruit seem dominant; citrus, pine, and spice mingle in the background. There's a nice malty backbone to this brew as well. Lightly sweet and bready, like hawaiian sweet bread. Hops nirvana in a bottle!

04-09-2003 22:11:17 | More by johnrobe
kbub6f

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of days in my fridge, reviewed 45F-65F.

A conservative pour gives up a medium-sized, dense, cream-colored head. The texture of this head is gorgeous: so creamy. This may be the nicest looking head I've seen. The beer is an amber/gold, with minimal visible carbonation.

Holy grapefruit, Batman! Hops out the wazoo in the nose. There's also a curious, coppery sour smell that isn't unpleasant. Strange. The front is grapefruit. The middle is full and surprisingly balanced against the extreme hoppiness. There's sweet caramel and cream. It gets almost a little chocolatey at temperature. The finish is hoppy, of course, but there are also some very nice roasty grains and a fresh, bready aftertaste.

This is absolutely outstanding. The malty balance puts it ahead of Ruination for me.

04-09-2003 09:31:52 | More by kbub6f
IrishRedRock

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Quite the interesting IPA, and not what I expected. Being a Stone beer, I expected a whole load of walloping hops. Instead this is a fruitier, sweeter IPA. Definitely an exceptional brew though. It's light orange in color, with a perfectly even balance between hops and a very sweet citrus aroma.

The most notable comparison of another IPA I can draw to this is Samuel Smith's, due to its toned-down character, lack of a biting hoppy finish, and the sweetness. Flavors of hops, grapefruit, and tangerines all come to mind. Mildly carbonated mouthfeel. This is hoppy, but not nearly as hoppy as others are. The fruitiness gives it a more unique character as well, and I certainly love that. This is a damn tasty brew!

Thanks to NeroFiddled for the 2 bottles!!

04-07-2003 16:40:55 | More by IrishRedRock
RBorsato

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden with a full light tan/beige head, decent carbonation, and leaves nice rings of lace. HUGE citrusy grapefruit hop aroma and a huge citrusy grapefruit hop taste ! Full bodied, smooth, and creamy. Well worth buying again.

Much better than Stone Ruination IPA. Stone's standard IPA is much better balanced than Ruination.

(22 oz. bottle / $3.77)

04-07-2003 12:26:34 | More by RBorsato
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.