Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,888 | Hads: 10,318

Appearance: Clear medium golden color with a profuse and lingering head, lots of broken lace, and fine streams of carbonation.

Aroma: Lots of mild floral hops noted, a considerable presence that is, dominant, but not overpowering. The hops dominate the aroma, but beneath them there is a strong note of sweet, honey-like light malt.

Taste: Opens with slightly sweet malts with notes of honey, this carries through much of the taste, the finish is dominated by a strong grapefruit hop presence.

Mouth feel: Quite full, almost syrupy, smooth and very full.

Drinkability/notes: A superb example of a style that is not a favorite of mine, as I prefer an emphasis upon malt rather than hops. But excellent, nonetheless.

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer pours a hazy orange has a 1/2 finger head with decent retention and thick webs of lacing. The aroma was of grassy hops and not much else. The taste was spicy, bitter, roasted malt and it finished leaving a grassy hop taste. This beer was medium bodied and easy to drink.

Reflection: This is a pretty good beer but not what I was expecting from Stone. The hops never took over the beer it was very well balanced. Again great beer but not a great IPA in my opinion.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Clear medium amber colour topped by a white lacing of head from the pour. Excellent retention. Foam seemed happy to stick to the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

Smell: Light malty sweet aroma with some biscuit and a little doughy. Lots of hops happening, with orange citrus, grapefruit, spice and some herbal/perfumy character.

Taste: Hops. Orange and grapefruit citrus, slightly resinous, assertive bitterness all the way through. Malt is present (biscuity and caramel sweetness), but takes a back seat. Piney at the finish. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with some crispness to start, but becomes very smooth part way through. Some alcohol warming at the finish.

Drinkability: This stuff is great. Lots of flavour, nice balance (I guess you could say it's on the hoppy side), and exceptional finish. This is what I've always imagined an American IPA should be.

22 oz. brown bomber with no apparent best before date.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

1st of 6 half liter Stones. Rare for these parts. Thanks OstrungT.

A rich amber pour with nitrous like fine fomy persistant head and lace.
Aroma Pine - taking it outdoors to admire its beauty its aroma seemed more predominatly that of pears. Alcoholic aroma noticable. Other aromas similar to its taste.
Strong beading of "silent bubbles" -those microscopic enough to move through a capilary as easily as a red blood cell.

Taste starting clean and crisp with sweetness offset by easily roused CO2 in middle ending in warming sweet caramel and perfect hops.

AFTERTASTE! I can only describe as a happy bee returning to is hive and doing an excited "waggle dance" on my tongue shedding hop resin and oils as it completes its figure 8s.

Reaching the end of this bottle is like loosing an old friend.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Growler filled at the brewery. Despite a day in the growler it still poured with a great head, and nice retention. Left a nice lace down the glass. Aroma and taste are predominately hops, but there is enough malt to make this a nicely balanced beer. Amazingly smooth for a 6.9 % ABV beer. If you are a hop-head, this should be a staple .. otherwise avoid it.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer looks terrific. Fluffy dollops of white with excellent retention sit majestically on top of a hazy golden amber liquid. The head is so thick and clingy that the lacing it leaves form circles where the beer sat between pulls. The nose has heavy hits of spice and bubblegum with plum backing up.

This isn’t quite as hoppy as I would have expected, and I was a bit disappointed by that. The hit at the front is mild and spicy. The taste ramps up though out the trip through the mouth, and lingers strongly in the aftertaste. There is a slight grassiness most prevalent in the aftertaste. Despite lacking mouth-punching hops: it is a very well balanced brew.

2.74/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The brew pours a pale straw-yellow color with only a minimal head. Very quickly the foam dies down to a small ring leaving no real lacing to speak of.

The smell was interesting, plenty of IPA notes of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

The taste was quite disappointing for a Stone brew. While there was a balance of malt and hops, the hops notes were anything but attractive. Instead of a bold, active hops note there was some light, lavendar floral taste. Not at all what I'd expect from an American IPA. I usually praise beers that are balanced and this one certainly has a good bready malt body to balance the hops but there's really no hops to balance.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it's a medium bodied brew with enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. There are no oily or astringent aftertaste to detract from the experience.

As for drinkability, I think it speaks volumes that I regret having bought a six pack of this before trying one. I'm about halfway through and my opinion hasn't changed - this just isn't an interesting IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a golden just short of copper with a slightly off white head that leaves sexy, sticky lacing down the glass. The bubbles are big, and the head stays at 2mm forever. Bubbles cascade up through the beer, and it has a deceptive clarity.

Aroma, HOPS! and more Hops. After smelling a second and third time I detect some hops too.

Tasting time reveals: malts for about 1/2 a second then comes the piney, citrucy and oily hops that leave a resin on my tongue. Finish is of a mild alcohol warmth that is attacking my brain as I type. Leaves a lingering hop taste.

Mouthfeel, just thick enough for an IPA, and it is quite creamy.
Way more drinkable than it should be.
Thanks again Stone! You are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Note: As good as this is, I prefer ruination.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

There are hoppy IPAs and APAs everywhere nowadays. Even AB has introduced a Michelob PA, and every craft brewery worth its salt (and plenty that aren't), feature a hoppy pale ale.

Why, after all these years, do so many people still regard Stone as the very best? I don't know. Not completely, at least. I wasn't there when this was fresh and unique. I've tasted far too many copycats before this one. My palette’s already been raped by Celebration Ale, Alpha King, and half of Rogue's lineup. I don't approach this beer with the same kind of reverence or fear that many do.

But I still love it.

Pours like a pretty PA. Nice head, dark orange.

Smells hoppy. Floral hops against a toffee malt backbone. Excellent.

Tastes very much like it smells. Big hops up front. Not the strongest you'll ever drink, but good. Floral and fruity--a huge, complex variation. But what really works for this beer, and what most of its imitators are lacking, is the perfect backbone of sweet malt that leaves a wonderful, rich taste your mouth.

Great mouthfeel, too. Thick but not slimy. And I could see myself drinking far too much of this beer, if I had easier access to it. Goes down as smooth as silk.

Wonderful. A classic in every sense.

2.94/5  rDev -30.5%

Aroma: Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, but with no hop to it.

Appearance: Pours a translucent orange-yellow with a 1/4" head that quickly fades, leaving excellent lacing.

Taste: A slightly sweet start fades into a grassy hop taste that doesn't stick around long.

Mouthfeel: Thin, without being watery, with a nice crispness to it.

Overall, a decent IPA. There is some hop in the taste, though it's not as strong as I like and disappears too quickly. I was also disappointed by the lack of any hop in the nose. The mouthfeel isn't bad, though I think it could be a bit less thin.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Came in a 22 oz bottle. Decent head retention around the rim for this type of beer. Pleasant amber colour. Leaves rather impressive lacing.

Sweet citrus smell, but also yeasty on the nose.

Certainly doesn't taste as citrusy as the smell indicated. This has real body. Isn't particularly sweet either. Instead a very full, hoppiness ensues, with sufficient malt to make the beer feel heavy on the stomach. I have the feeling I am drinking some thing very substantial here. As the description on the bottle implies this is not for lovers of subtle, floral hopped IPA's. I like it, but 22 ounces is more than sufficient. There will be no more beer for me tonight.

I am left with a befuddling gingery taste in my mouth.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber and orange with a significant and slightly chunky off-white head. The head slowly dissolves, but leaves a very persistent thick foam and a good bit of white lace. Smells of fresh piney and rosiny hops with slightly fruity edge. The aroma from my sample was slightly subdued, perhaps due to age. Excellent complex flavor profile. Begins with spicy hops, develops into a chewy and malty middle, and finishes with a swift kick of drying hop bitterness. As it warms, the beer also highlights a tantalizing creamy orange sherbet quality. Medium-strong carbonation, nicely creamy, and very easy drinking.

A fabulous strong IPA. Heavily hopped but well-balanced. Probably the best IPA I've had to-date. Too bad Stone isn't distributed in Georgia. At least Tennessee isn't too far for the occasional road trip...

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Purchased a 12oz bottle at Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, Mass., on 4 February 2005. Poured into a 16oz pint glass.

Presentation: This poured an amber color with strong orange hues. The head was about an inch or so thick, and it kept pretty well in the glass. The beer definitely had a floral aroma suggesting hops. It reminded me of another Stone product, but this was somewhat more muted.

Tasting: This is one of the best-balanced IPAs I've ever had. The hop bitterness hits the front of the tongue along with citrus flavors. But this beer also goes down very smoothly across the back of the tongue. It had a sweetness to it that made the beer highly drinkable, and the mouthfeel is rather pleasant. Hop flavors don't overwhelm the palate.

This may or may not be a "session beer" due to the higher alcohol content. But it goes very well by itself or with some appetizers at the bar. I definitely would recommend this beer to anyone interested in IPAs.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance is a bright, fairly hazy orange, with a snow-white head.

The nose is full of hop aroma, resinous and spicy. Fruity too, and some malt lightly detectable under a mountain of hop scent.

Flavor: Quite bitter, naturally, with a lot of hop flavor (grapefruit citrus, pine resin). Malt is present, a touch of caramel and a little grainy, and if you really look hard under that forcible hop dryness, some pleasant sweetness, which comes out more in a the long and lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate, in fact lighter than one expects. Good slightly-creamy texture.

Very yummy IPA. Unique, too.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

02/03/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber poured into my Duvel glass. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Beautiful lightly clouded golden orange color. Thick nitted bubbles which formed a nice 3/4 inch head. Above average lacing with a small ufo circle in the middle. Can't ask for much more than that.

Smell- A pretty subdued scent. You can tell there is pine and grapefruit from the hops and a bit of candied sweetness. Had to really stick my nose in though. It doesn't just jump right out at you.

Taste- Like the scent it is a subdued hoppy beer. But as you drink more of it and let it warm the true flavors come out. Not an overpowering IPA, but just about right if you want a great mix of hops and malt. One of the best balanced IPA's I have had. Good amounts of grapefruit and other citrus flavors floating around.

Mouthfeel- Perfect medium IPA-type carbonation. Super easy consumption.

Drinkability- Very...in one word. I can now see why this is tons of peoples choice for their favorite session beer. It's right in the middle of the hop range. Not super in your face (which can be good) and not on the watery thin side (which is almost always bad). If there was just a tad bit more hops (maybe another 10-15 IBU's) I would live off this beer. But, even the way it is brings great pleasure to my taste buds. Great brew as I expected from Stone. Haven't been dissapointed yet.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Slightly hazy deep golden body topped with and impressive white head. Citrus and pine aromas. Bread and grapefruit with a honeylike sweetness melded with solid bitterness. Full body with enough carbonation to lift the bitterness to the roof of my mouth.

Stone IPA is the modest little brother of Arrogant Bastard. It doesn't get the attention of its sibling. If it came from another brewery, this beer would be more garner more attention. As it is, it's a damn fine beer that just needs a little love.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Translucent strawberry blonde, with a white cloud of of head that quickly gave way to clingly ring of lace, but with only a swirl the head came right back to life, giving away that incredible hoppy aroma. Pine trees, citrus, grassy, this thing has the whole nine yards. The first sip goes down dry and lip-smackingly bitter, but somehow the malt fights it's way through and holds on to the back of your palate after the first coat of hops saturates your tastebuds into submission. Maybe my sample was getting a little old (6-8 months I'd say), but I kinda tasted a little vanilla in the aftertaste, something I didn't notice when I had the first 2-3 from my 6 pack. Alcohol also makes it's presence known after about the half pint mark. For some people balance in a Beer is important, and I sort of fall into that catergory, but sometimes in life you find balance in inequality, order in chaos, yada-yada-yada. This Beer is the gold standard of American IPAs, and my personal favorite from Stone, regardless of the Bastards and the Ruinations and whatever. This one I could drink every day, I've enjoyed it this summer in the balmy heat of Florida and last night in the great Canadian winter. I'm a very seasonal drinker and rare are the brews that I crave year-round, but this one is on the list.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

When I drink any Stone beer, I have to put on Pantera (RIP Dimebag) as loud as I possibly could. For every beer that they make, Pantera has the perect song to go with it. For the IPA, it's F#*&ing Hostile. Why? because this beer really is hostile. A hoppy masterpiece. When you want a smooth, well-balanced beer, it would be in your best intrest to keep the hell away from this one. If you are looking for an over the top aggressive hop monster, you've looked in the right place. I love it. Pours a hazy orange colour with a thick white head. The aroma is grassy and very strong. The taste is as bitter as could be and is just full of grassy and citric tastes. I want more. Turn up the music!

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orange with an orange-tinted finger of head.
The smell is straight-up hops, lots of floral hoppiness; you can already almost taste the hop bitterness with your first sniff. On further review, some fruity esters come through.
The taste is about what you'd expect from a beer touting its hoppiness on the label: lotsa hops. Grassy hops are there all over your mouth; it's like having a hop bottle rocket explode on your tongue.
Creamy mouthfeel with some hoppy oiliness in there for good measure; surprisingly smooth drinking for such an unbalanced brew. Finish is an extremely pleasant bread flavor that leaves me wanting another drink

Overall: Not my favorite IPA, and not one that my tongue could handle drinking every night, but a damn fine beer that I'll enjoy whenever I can get my hands on it. For those of us who like our hops, you can't beat it.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Bought as part of a mixed six pack at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, AZ.

Pours with a dark amber body, and a thin tan head that lingers. Very floral, almost menthol-y hops aroma, but still nicely balanced. Taste is definitely an IPA, with a very strong hops flavor up front, but unlike most IPAs this definitely has enough extra flavors (bit of malt, bit of yeast, bit of caramel) to really round it out. Nice body, very refreshing. Very dry, crisp finish. Very drinkable, probably one of the best IPAs I've had. Between this and Arrogant Bastard, I think I'll have to get some more Stone brews when the opportunity presents itself.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Two words: big and citrus. This one isn't the most complex IPA out there, but it should be held as the benchmark. Big citrusy flavor cascade down the tongue with a malt balance. A dollop of lacing floats on the beer and the sides. I took my dog for a walk around the block and when I got back the pleasant aftertaste was still there, like a tattoo. Is it the best IPA? Probably not. Really fucking good? Yes.

4.44/5  rDev +5%

660ml bomber

Pours with a thick amber body, syrupy in consistancy, nice tan head with good retention

Woah, the aroma off this is fantastic, piney, dry hoppy nose. Some hint of alcohol, all very well balanced

Taste, straight away you get the strong bittering hops although its reasonably tame and balanced with a thick syrupy malty body. Yeasty dry finish

A fantastic beer, really amazing aroma and well balanced body....just have to get myself a bottle of ruination next

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz bomber

As soon as I hear the initial hiss from the bottlecap I'm enjoying more pleasant hop aroma than I thought could ever be possible. Wow. If I could give this beer a 6 for aroma, I would. It pours a pale, golden color - not as pale as a macro by any means or as filtered though. The taste of this beer matches the aroma with overwhelming citrusy, piney hop flavors. Stone must have thrown an absurd amount of northwest hops in this brew. There's an unusual amount of sweetness, but for an IPA, that's still not much sweetness. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 5 in taste is the bitterness. I wish this beer could be more bitter, but that's just because I'm an over-the-edge hophead. Perfectly drinkable as a session brew, but watch out!

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey colored body with a huge head that sticks around forever and leaves lacing all over the glass

Smell: Smells like a bag of cascade hops; grapefruit, piney and resinous

Taste: Taste is overwhelmed by the piney, bitter hop flavors but there is a surprising amount of malt sweetness that lingers throughout; quite a bit of alcoholic flavor as well

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, almost syrupy with a moderate amount of carbonation

Drinkability: Astoundingly drinkable!

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was my second ever dabble into IPA, so when I first reviewed it, I didn't quite know what to expect, but I knew I loved it. It is not too bitter, but just bitter enough to satisfy my palate.

This beer is so beautiful I could just not even drink it and still be satisfied with the appearance, head retention, and aroma on their own. The pour is a clear light golden color, actually somewhat light for an IPA. The head is absolutely perfect, producing several impossibly small white fragrant bubbles that stay at about a half inch.

It has a sort of citrusy grapefruit hops character in the smell. The aroma is all about the hops.

Taste is very similar, though the malt is able to shine it's way through. Nice sweet malt up front with a touch of caramel. Lots of hops to balance it out. A good mix between bittering hops and late-addition aroma hops. Very piney and citrusy, but not overly bitter. A good introductory IPA.

Quite light in body with a crisp carbonation. Quite lovely. Very easy to drink quantity.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.