Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,877 | Hads: 10,228
3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

You can now get stone beer on tap in New York City.

I'm going to take a page out of California hip-hop, cuz I gotta do it. Don't believe the hype.

Suprisingly light for an IPA, this beer is medium bodied at best. The head quickly dissipated and did not leave a trace as it lingered down the glass. The aroma? It was present, but then again, I would like to drink BEER and not grapefruit juice. Too many cascade hops (which, by the way, are the most mass-produced and hybridized hops on the market) make a beer taste more like a cocktail.

The taste was pretty good. The folks at Stone Brewing Co. really know how to achieve a nice balance with their beers.

I wish the beer were a bit more full-bodied and less grapefruit juice. They may be personal preferences, but let's face it.... has not the latest hop craze been a bit cultish and gimmicky?

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours with a nice head which quickly fell away. The color was a golden straw - reminded me of my younger days helping my uncle pitch hay in the fall.

The smell was unbelievably good - strong floral and citrus, cloves and grapefruit... a slight earthy sour smell that I just couldn't place, but it didn't distract.

The taste didn't knock me over with hops - but I literally shivered with goose bumps at the fantastic flavor. This is a well balanced IPA - a decent combo of bitterness from the hops, and a mix of citrus and floral tastes. Orange peels, lemon zest, grapefruit and the perfect amount of hops. The malt base is enough to keep everything together.

Excellent IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Apearance: Golden-orange color. Modest, frothy white head.
Smell: Sour and bitter hop scents. Very fruity.
Taste: Creamy and light at first, followed by a barrage of bitter, fruity hops. This beer definitely has that 'Stone flavor' that I I still can't put my finger on. Salty finish that is typical of an IPA, but not over the top. Overall, a very well balanced IPA.
Mouthfeel: Creamier than I expected. Nice carbonation. This beer penetrates every crevace of the mouth.
Drinkabilty: I might stick with this one for a while.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

12 OZ bottle (thanks Sam). decants a golden-orange color with a big sticky white head that laces the glass... minimal carbonation...scents of plumbs, musty caramel and ample floral hopping. Starts mellow with a nice whack of fruit laden malts....THEN the hops take over and make a complex floral/grassy/bitter mixture from those northwest cones melding with the ample cramel malts gives a buttery peach impression...finish is surpisingly thick with the bitterness restrained by the maltiness plays long on the aftertaste as a lingering bitter fruit impression. A big beer for the style.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Balance. Ths beer is so balanced. Orange in color, with little yeasties floating around. Once again, I don't find anything out of the ordinary with Stone's beer, just a kick-ass IPA, with loads of West-coast hopping, brewed with perfect balance.
Resinous, piney hops, with grapefruit, orange, and slightly floral notes. There is enough malt backbone to keep this from becoming one of those ridiculous hop monsters, but there are plenty of hops, enough to satisfy even the most discriminating of hop heads. Mouthfeel is rather delicate, and the bitterness left on my palate lingers just long enough for me to take my next sip. Drinkability is outstanding -- if ever there were a session IPA, this would be it.

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a deep golden amber color with a nice head. Musty, citrusy aroma is inviting. Leaves a nice lacing down the side of the glass as you savor it. Nicely balanced with a creamy mouth feel. A nice IPA. However, I happened to do a side by side comparison with Wachusett's IPA, and the Wachusett comes pretty damn close to this in quality and taste, and is about 2/3 the price.

- Updated 12/16/2008 -

Maybe my palate has changed since my original review 11/01/2004, but I find it difficult to enjoy this beer these days. Aroma is a bit sour, reminds me of homebrew for lack of a better description. Huge hoppiness with a grapefruit like twang, but the problem is that it lacks balance. A more assertative malt backbone would make it less of a one dimensional brew.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

pours a nice golden, clear body with a small bubbly head. smells of a nice medium floral hops, and something that reminds me of fruit candy. Tastes pretty good. This beer has a great balance, the hops are not too strong, and don’t overpower a light roasted malt flavor. Very smooth and very drinkable. I was expecting some bitterness from stone, but I am pleasantly surprised at the overall balance. This would have to be one of my favorite IPA's, a must try. especially since you would have no clue it is close to 7%

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to BuckeyNation for the opportunity! I've been waiting to try this one out.

Pours out golden yellow and sits foggy golden amber in the glass with a good sized foamy white head, nice lacings.

Smells good and malty. Doughy construction with plenty of hops backing it up. Very mild citrus aromas of oranges come though, mostly herbal and peppery hop aromas. Loose strands of alcohol flow from within.

Tastes lightly sweet up front but picks up on bitterness quickly. Green, leafy hop flavors make up the majority of taste. Scant amounts of orange oil and lime are found. Sweetness picks up again and alcohol begins to shine. Makes for a dry, well-bittered finish with bready flavors and hop oils lingering.

Very smooth and rich in the mouth. Crisp and well balanced carbonation. Medium-full body. This beer flows all over the place, very pleasant.

Easy drinking IPA. Not on the top of my list, but it is quite tasty.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

Stone can do no wrong. This beer doesn't look like anything too special. I got a one-finger, sticky, white head when I poured this. And other than the somewhat thick appearance, this looks no different than any run-of-the-mill American ale.
I almost enjoy smelling this hoppy brew as much as I like drinking it. The sweet, musty nose stays with you even when you walk away from the beer. The taste is just hoppy goodness. It tastes like it should be darker than it is. Great spiciness. The mouthful is oh so creamy and the aftertaste makes me want to crack open another. I think I will. One other note, it's difficult to review this beer because I can't stop guzzling it for long enough to make any thoughtful observations.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%

Com'es in a 22 oz. bomber. Pours a very carbonated light copper with a pillowy head. Smells very fruit and hoppy. A georgous boquet. An amazing amount of hops greet your mouth at first, very overpowering and tasty. Finishes suprisingly malty for an IPA/ Round this brew off real well. Nice and bready. Feels creamy in the mouth, and wonderfully drinkable. Could drink this one all night, finding new nuances every sip. Excellent.

Thanks to HardTarget for sending me this one.

This is a fairly standard offering from Stone. Appears a very typical amber color with a nice puffy head and great lacing. Smells of course of hops, maybe a bit of fruit in there as well, which in my book is a good sign for an IPA. Taste is very hoppy, but not over the top as Stone often claims to be. Other than that classic Stone bitterness this beer doesn't stand out to me as being particularly challenging. This beer practically drinks itself, it's so smooth in the mouth.
Maybe it's because I've been drinking a lot of good IPA's lately (I had a Ruination much earlier in the day) but this beer struck me as solid, yes, it's obviously a good beer, but it doesn't really challenge the style as much as thier other beers do. A good beer to drink nonetheless.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Beatuiful and pale with nice carboantion throughout the drink. Big, fluffy head which is white and leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is piney like a huge truck of hops was dumped straight into the biol. Taste is strong, a bit of alcohol and a lot of citrousy, astringent hop oils dominate the palate immediately. This is a good beer, worthy of a lot of admiration, but in the end I think its biting off more than I can chew. A little too bitter and carbonated.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a golden orange. Fluffy white head and great sticky lacings.

Awesome floral aroma and strong hops burst through the nose. Aroma is powerful and distinct.

Taste is spicy up front with a citrus character. Very sticky and resiny mouthful. Sharp bite with a monster hop profile. Piney and syrupy.

I have had this IPA from Stone several times and I finally decided to review it. This is an awesome American IPA that really amazes me. Recommended for anyone who enjoys IPA's with a major hoppy profile.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a golden copperish mixture with a nice white head that falls to ring of foam but laces nicley. Aroma is mostley floral hops with sweet caramle malt some citrus hints sneaking in. Taste is hops then sweetmalt takes over for an instant then more floral flavors with a bitter kick. This is a very balanced IPA malt and hops in the perfect blend being a Stone I was expecting hop overload but this is just a good solid IPA. If not for the bottle never would have guessed it as a Stone. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, it is a solid IPA, nothing extaordinary but very nicely done.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

A true American style IPA. This is a style which I have only learned to enjoy very recently. Pours into my pint glass with an inch or so thick head which quickly settles into a thin coating which mostly covers surface of the beverage. True Gold in color. Leaves some lacing. You can smell the hops and even the apha acid in this one. The smell gives a pretty good indication of the taste. Hops dominate, which good floral flavors and plenty of bitterness. Smooth pleasant malt becomes apparent in the background as it warms. Overall a very tasty beer, did not enjoy it quite as much as Dogfish 90 minute, but pretty close. Gave it a 3.5 for drinkability because I can't imagine drinking more than say two of these in a night.
Thanks Mrpicklerelish for the bottle

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours from the bomber a wonderful golden orange with a fluffy, bubbly white head. The smell is of bountiful citrusy hops....oranges, grapefruits, pineapple....with some floral tones as well. A bit of caramel in the nose as well. Fun to just sit here and smell.

First taste is well balanced, mouth puckering goodness. The hops are upfront with a nice malt backbone that brings it together well. A good amount of biterness hits the back of the palate. A mix of floral and citrus in my mouth with caramel sweetness that barely makes it out past the bountiful biterness.

Mouthfeel is spot on and makes this brew easy to down. Big gulps make me happy. Drinkability is very good as well. If I had access to this I could down a few in a night and enjoy every minute. Thanks to my friend kmpitz2 for bringing this one by for me!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours translucent gold with a fluffy, sticky white head, with lots of bubbles racing to join it.

A symphony of hops fills the nostrils with a dominant piney, resiny note. A sharper hop tone than other examples of the style, done very forcefully and very cleanly. A joy to behold.

Smooth, mellow hop flavor that is as balanced as you want an IPA to be (or at least as balanced as *I* want an IPA to be). The pine and resin notes aren't as prevalent on the palate as they are in the air. The sweetness of the malt is there, but it's been beaten bloody and left to die in the street by the gang of vicious, delicious hops.

A creamy, slightly tingly feel in the mouth leaves you ready for the next sip. I can't imagine how it could be any better in this regard.

The alcohol content leaves this as an iffy choice for a session beer, unless your liver happens to be pickled; however, it's certainly one you can enjoy to kick off or wind down your evening, and one you'll definitely enjoy (unless hops aren't your thing).

As an aside, I really need to do a side-by-side tasting of this and Smuttynose's IPA offering, because each time I drink one, I swear it's better than the other. Hooray for both.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

From a 12 oz. bottle pours a clear very light amber color with a white foamy head. The head left a little too quick, however there was a nice amount of lace on the glass. The smell of hops hits you immediately. This is more of a grassy, or herbal hop smell compaired to citrus or grapefruit that is common. Although, there seems to be a slight citrus note in the nose as well. The taste again hits you with hops that are spicy and grassy. There is a good amount of malt that keeps this beer from being too out of control. Medium body, carbonation is moderate. The alcohol in this can sneak up on you after a few, but still pretty drinkable. Overall this is pretty straightforward, hops and hops, with just enough malt. Great example of an American IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours an amber-copper color that is best described as orange. A couple of fingers of white head on top. Traces of lacing left on glass. The smell is an overpowering , yet wonderful hop aroma. Taste is of hops with a flavor Im not thrilled with. Okay, but not great. A little too much of the bitter aftertaste hanging around in the mouth. After finishing one, I dont really want another. I have 5 more to drink, and Im sure I will enjoy them, but its a very good, but not great beer.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Sampled in an imperial pint glass from the kegerator.

Light copper color, fluffy white head that lasts, nice lacing. Aromatics are very malty... almost worty with a floral citrus finish. Flavor is extremely well balanced between the hops and the malt. The bittering hops are up front and assertive but moves into a very hoppy flavor with a huge malt backbone, finishes slightly sweet. The mouthfeel is pleasant, medium and slightly dry. Very drinkable, the alcohol is a bit on the high end for a session beer... but thats okay, I enjoy it thoroughly.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I didn't know that Stone made a "normal" beer? This is a very nicely balanced and easy to drink IPA.

The beer pours a golden/yellow color with a nice, inviting white head. Good citrus hop aroma -- and definite American IPA profile. As the beer warms a bit, malt balance comes through in the aroma. Maybe could use a little more malt, but not much. Balance is what makes this beer for me, so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this on tap for the first time recently and Wow what a difference. Pours the same orange-copper colour. Not much of a head, but then again I dont know how long it sat before it was brought to me. The smell is lovely piney hops. Almost a bit medicinal in a good way. The taste is similar to the bottle, but the hops seem fresher and more pronounced. Mouthfeel is smooth with just the prickle of the hoppiness to let you know its still there. Drinkability is great. I could drink this off the tap all night. And WOW what hop burps.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This came in the typical Stone 22oz silk-screened bomber with the gargoyle on it. This poured out a light orange with a tall rising out of the glass head of off white foam. Scattered lacing was left around the glass as this was consumed. Strong floral aromas rose from the glass that was backed by and equally string citric piney smell. Completely hop dominated nose but not to the point of being over done, there was a doughy malt presence keeping it in check. Citric bitterness hit the tongue first with a slightly sweet malt coming though shortly after. The after taste was mildly bitter with an earthy hop bite. A fairly balanced flavor that keep the emphasis on the hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with about a medium body. I could drink this stuff all day, one of my favorite IPAs.

22 ounce bottle

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, this beer has a nice lemony yellow and peach tinited color. The head needed a little coaxing, but I got an inch off a hard pour. Sticky, whispy white foam with average retention.

Smell: This is where it's at. This beer has a dramatic amount of hops in the nose. Sharp piney bitterness and sweet fruity floral scents lie in wait. Wonderfully dry-hopped.

Taste: Very nice. This has ample hop presence; it is initally very raw and bitter. As one continues to sip, the citric sweetness of the hops comes out and melds well with the malts. This is finely tuned to allow the blend of hops to really just stick out and do their work. A very nice, and clean IPA.

Mouthfeel: Good. Not cloying or overly syrupy, this has a good balance of hop oils and malts to allow it to go down smoothly.

Drinkability: I had no problem finishing the bomber. Would I buy more at $6 a pop? I can't say. I know I barely prefer HopDevil just for orginality, and it is much more affordable on this side of the country. Someone brings them to me though....watch out. Glug, glug, glug.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

I really like this for an IPA, and I'm not a huge IPA fan. I love the lacing left on the glass and the overwelming aroma of hops. Citrusy and slightly piney notes from the hops. Taste is almost a pallate stripping assult of hops, but there is a bit of malt to be found there, but it's hiding well ;).

Overall, a good IPA. A bit more malt would really make this a winner for me, but overall, not bad at all.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.