Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,877 | Hads: 10,234
4.24/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Golden amber color. Thin white head with some lacing and plenty of large bubbles.

Smell: Cascade (?) hops up front balanced by a brown sugar or caramel like sweetness.

Taste: Very sharp and clean. Little malt character comes through, but the hops are excellent. Strong bittersweet floral notes.

Mouthfeel: Ideal lever of carbonation. Finishes very clean with only hops in the aftertaste. Dry.

Drinkability: It's delicious, but a bit of a palate buster. I'd like to drink more, but I think I'd lose the ability to taste them.

I think Stone beer only just became available in Wisconsin, and I was really surprised to find it.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Great IPA! I usually don't drink very bitter beers like IPA's, but this one really impressed me.

Appearance: cloudy golden color with a 1/4 inch head that slowly disspates, leaving some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Although the hops jump at you, the sweetness of backround flavors of citrus and cloves are apparant and inviting.

Taste: The different hops combined in this fabulous brew lend themselves to a sweet and floral twang that tickles the taste buds. The hops are delicious and balanced by the sweetness of the malts. Also, the bitterness is perfectly placed in the overall taste experience of the beer.

Drinkability: Although this beer is delicious, I could not drink more than one at a time. I split a 22oz. bottle with 2 other friends and slowly sipped it and enjoyed all its complexities.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Amber color with light lacing, relatively clear but not pristine

S: Pine/floral aroma is rather apparent along with a hint of citrus

T: Resiny/grapefruit bitterness at the front with malt complexity adding to the mix. Lingering bitterness is pleasant

M: A medium-to-light bodied beer that's finishes cleanly with the hops. Lightly carbonated

D: I could definitely down a few more of these, a top-notch IPA

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

This pours hazy yellow orange with a little small layer of foam at the top which will lace the glass slightly. It has a very fragrant like cologne. The taste is also bursting with flavor with lots of orange which pairs well this stones trademark hoppiness. Finishes dry and quick.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

A: A clear golden brown with a very appreciative head that lasted until i was finished

S: Smelled slightly of freshly cut grass or flowers

M: Extremely smooth, sat very well on my palate.

T: It was a very simple tasting IPA, extremely hoppy but easy to drink. The taste was resonant of the all natural ingredients used to brew this one.

D: Unfortunately, because of the strong hoppy taste, I wouldn't be able to drink a 6 pack of this beer. It was very enjoyable to have one or two though.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bootle served in a pint glass

A- Clear, golden in color with a beautiful 1 inch head thick head. Nice looking amount of bubbles springing up from the bottom. Head retains very well. Great lacing.

S- Piney, floral hops abound with a hint of grapefruit. Very floral aroma. Some grassy citrus aromas as well. Hops dominate the nose and I love it.

T- Talk about a full flavored beer. This one lives up to the hype. A hop explosion starts it off with a sublte malt character that leads to a warm finish with a slight alcohol feel. Every inch of the palate enjoys this IPA. Just the right amount of lingering hop bitterness.

M- Great feel for an IPA of this caliber. An almost creamy mouthfeel that has wonderful bitteness and depth.

D- Even though the hops dominate this one it is very drinkable. Overall, a very good American IPA that is extemely well rounded. I'm going to have to grab this again next time I see it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Stone IPA has a nice hoppy taste that I've come to enjoy in beer. It has a nice amber apperance. It also leaves a nice spider web of foam on the glass that a good beer should. Definatly recommened if you are looking for a good IPA. Its another good beer from The Stone Brewing Company.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle into pint glass

A...clear and deep golden with low white head that keeps a thin layer over the beer the while way down. decent lacing.

S...really a very floral bouquet. Great nose on this beer, smells fantastic!

T...hops forward with a doughy kind of malt cutting through. Lots of hops but, maintains a balanced flavor overall.

M...just sticky enough. Good carbonation.

O... Just about a perfect ipa. Go get it.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I love Stone brewing, don't get me wrong but they could have done much better with this one. It lacks on almost all fronts. Stone is known for being cutting-edge and over the top. This one is a safe bet. It's not a bad beer, but it just lacks that Stone-esque edge that we know and love. The taste is good, not great. Bitterness is there, nothing else really. Nose is decent, earthy, piney and floral with mild citrus. I wish they would have tried harder with their year-round IPA. Middle of the road, at best.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What a great beer.
A- Fresh/clean looking SanDiegoIPA. Creamy off white head/bright golden body
S-Everything you want from the 3 C's absolutely mouthwatering straightforward piney/citrusy with just the right alcohol punch
T- Great. Perfect beer to drink any time/day/week/month/year in sunny San Diego. Crisp/clean/refreshing (yeah it's someone else's motto, but it is much more true of this selection)
Perfect bitter/sweet
M- Its good. Goes down easy. Pretty bubbly
This is such an undeniably good beer. Bottom line

2.54/5  rDev -40%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Its alright. Don't understand the hype but they are a top notch brewery this just ain't enough citrus or any fruity hop presence enough for me to purchase again.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours a nice light amber with two fingers of foam. Retains head very well. Very herbal on the nose. Taste is unmistakeably hoppy, like a pine cone dipped in soap, definitely makes you pucker-up. Anymore hops and this beer would be outta control, but they managed to get it pretty much right for this style.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer is hop heaven
Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head with laces that remain for awhile.
You can smell the hops, it's not overwhelming for how present they are once you taste it.
Taste is awesome. I love hop-upped beers and this is one of my favorites because its fairly easy to find. To say this bear has great hop characteristics is an understatement. Somehow finishes great- citrus and a bit bitter, but perfect.
The mouthfeel is good, crisp up front, sticky and lingers on the top of the mouth well after your last sip.
So good you'll want more despite the relatively strong taste and higher alcohol. Lovely.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance was deep, slightly cloudy orange. Nice head that lingers on the glass. Smell was fresh hoppy and bright. Taste was fresh popping citrus and hops, very balanced bitterness. Some malty, toasty flavors in the background. Hops settle down for a clean aftertaste. Nice creamy mouthfeel, the beer rolls around and feels smooth. Overall a very drinkable, distinct IPA on par with the best I have ever had. I would definately recommend this beer to others, even those who are not huge hops fans.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a nice golden brown with 2-finger head, great lacing.

S: Frech, crisp bright hops. Slight grapefruit, but not as much as expected.

T: Hops. Sharp, crisp hops dominate the palette, yet give way to a subtle sweetness beneath. A definite hop-head beer.

M: Medium-to unexpectedly-light bodied. I like my IPAs a little thicker, but thats my opinion. Aftertaste/feel slightly reminds me of post-mouthwash gum tingle.

D: Goes down rather smoothly, though full of hop bitterness (which is boasted about on the bottle). Given it's 6.9% ABV, i could probably have 3 or so, then the flavor would probably become a little intense. An excellent sipping beer ideal for warmer months.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

What a great IPA. Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass. The color is a light yellow, good head that remains, two fingers.

The smell is of hops and of slight citrus. The taste is earthy and very hoppy. Then the malt followed by the citrus. The hops in this one taste great. Good carbonation.

This is one great IPA and is it ever drinkable. A six could be gone by the end of the night easily but then I'd be unhappy without my Stones.

4.61/5  rDev +9%

A: Beautiful head, pours golden/orange hue. Lacing is very nice & carbonation appears very lively. She looks like she's ready to go!

S: Hops, floral, also getting something sweet (maybe honey?). All in all, a nice smelling brew.

T: Wow, this is one fine tasting brew. Very smooth yet complex on the tongue. As expected, hops dominate (a good thing!!), but with some sweet tastes. A sweet grapefruit would be a good way to describe the overall taste.

M: Perfectly carbonated, very smooth; warm but no overpowering alcohol feel. Perfect on the palate.

D: This is a no-brainer drink anytime brew from the guys @ Stone. Not as many complex flavors as say Ruination, but at 1/2 the price, I'm on my way to get more!!

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Excellent go-to IPA. Tangy, crisp, fruity, & refreshing.

Poured from chilled 12oz bottle into tasting glass.

A: Buttery pale golden color, just slightly cloudy, with virtually no head.
S: Extraordinary fruit aroma fairly dances to the nose!
T: Fruit-tastic, crisp, multi-tonal herbals with a nice hop kick.
M: Somewhat thin, which contributes to the high drinkability factor.
O: Begs for a hot day and a BBQ.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

A - yellow --- not a lot of character in the appearance (bad pour?)
S - slightly floral, but not very distinct
T - [[no notes on the taste of this beer survived this evening.]]
M - slightly coats the mouth, finishes clean
D - lingering bitterness

All in all, not as impressive as the Cali-Belgique version of this same beer. Belgian yeast, woo!

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: a rich golden yellow with a really nice 1-2 cm head that dissipates down to a 1 cm head. It forms a really nice head, it is really a vibrant and appealing beer.

Smell: Pine and citrus. I smell a touch of sweetness. I have had a few IPA’s this one smells quite appealing. The smell does get weaker a minute or so after the pour.

Taste: After taking the first taste, I realize it may be a bit warmer then it should be – my thermometer reads 51 F, so I suppose it is just a touch too warm. The hops are there and they add a nice citrus-pine flavor but there is also quite a bit of sweet malt as well. This beer is phenomenal, I was expecting it to be more intense then it is, but I was really happily surprised. There is defiantly a good touch of hop bitterness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Good solid carbonation, moderately thick texture, I would consider this to have a good mouthfeel

Drinkability: This is almost 7% ABV? Wow…. I am not prepared to drink another one (no more in the fridge) and I only have 5 left… next time I go back to MI I may be picking up another 6 pack, or a case… this beer could easily become a new favorite. I need to try it 5 degrees colder.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

The color is light orange. This IPA is a winner, it's bitter but the malt comes through oh so nicely. Some nice citrus flavors come through with the hops. The balance is amazing, I freaking love this beer. The only problem is it's a little pricey on the east coast. Check out the Arrogant Bastard Strong Ale as well. This is a close 2nd in my favorite IPA (first is smuttynose). SO freaking drinkable, I could drink this all night, which might be a little dangerous.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice caramel/orange color and hazy with a one finger head that keeps a good lace. Almost all hop smell with a little trace of citrus
Fresh hoppy taste that follows with a dry bitter finish that stays in the back of the mouth
This is a great IPA, I love the crispness of the taste and the serious hops.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured this from bottle bought at a local store. Poured it into a pint glass. It made a 1/8" off-white head that left a lot of lacing down the sides of the glass throughout the drinking of the beer. The smell was pine, citrus w/ a faint malt that is easily over-powered by the assertive hop smell. The taste is more hops. It is bitter, but the bitterness mellows quickly. This beer has a bitter, pleasant aftertaste. Despite the bitterness and assertive hops, the mouthfeel is smooth and velvety. I find it very drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - cloudy appearance with a bright orange color. Off white, frothy head.

S - before the cap was even fully removed the smell of hops hits you. Then, the orange aromas start to come through.

T - big hops here, but not overwhelming. The citrus, mainly orange and lemon, are very distinct.

M - medium body with a lot of crisp on the tongue.

D - just a fantastic, mellow IPA

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.