Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged)Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  10.00% ABV

Our Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale proved to be an eccentric diversion from our previous lineup of innovative Belgian-inspired brews. And considering we're Stone, that's really saying something. This unprecedented beer was brewed with cinnamon stick and Anaheim green chiles, giving it an amazing flavor profile unlike anything that came before it. It certainly didn't need any enhancement, but we just don't know when to leave well enough alone (and we've demonstrated before that you can, indeed, improve upon perfection). So we decided to tinker with it a bit and laid a small portion to rest in wine barrels. Not wanting to limit our experiment to only red or white wine barrels, we chose both. Treat yourself to a bottle of each and compare. All in the name of science, of course...

(Beer added by: FosterJM on 12-18-2012)

brotherloco, Jun 22, 2013

Kreko7, Jun 21, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Beautiful looking beer. Clear, bold mahogany amber body. Nice head with moderate retention. Very nice lace.

S - First smell is a bold sour grape with a nice sweet middle. Aroma is more reminiscent of white wine rather than red. Notes of fresh peppers on the back end with white oak.

T- Wow. Soft oak and lightly sour backbone. Caramel, tannins, cinnamon, and ancho overtones.

M - Smooth, medium body.

O - Awesome balance and complexity.

vfgccp, Jun 15, 2013

BAsbill, Apr 10, 2013

t0rin0, Apr 09, 2013

Trilogy31, Apr 05, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

Almost gagged in disgust reading the pretentious description on this one. Ah, Stone - congratulations, you've succeeded in matching your desired market image. You are indeed a bunch of arrogant bastards - only there's no hint of cheeky self awareness in the actuality of the situation. Why then, did I buy this beer? Because I respect anyone who creates for a living and Every Beer Gets A Chance. 500ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Acquired within the last couple months at a local SoCal beer store. Bottle conditioned. ABV is 10.6% according to my bottle. "Ale brewed with Anaheim Chilies & Cinnamon Aged in Red Wine Barrels."

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No satisfying pop upon removal of the cork. Just a weak-ass "psh."

A: Pours a 3.5 finger beige-light khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness and quite good (9+ minute) retention for the high ABV. No real lacing as the head recedes. Overall, I'm rather impressed with the head. Body colour is a terribly ugly caramel-light brown colour; that's one of the worst body colours I've observed in the last year. Wow, that's unappealing. No yeast particles are visible because it's nontransparent and opaque. No bubble show. Dig the head, despise the body.

Sm: Surprisingly not terrible. Light tart sour character. Light hints of lacto. Cinnamon and earthy hops. White grapeskin; I'm actually confused - why are the dominant wine notes redolent of white wine rather than red wine? Caramel. Stale cereals/grains. I dig the light sour aromatics, but the rest is underwhelming. A mess of an aroma, but not necessarily a bad one. Deeply buried orange rind when I look for it. Not getting any chili peppers from the aroma. A mild strength aroma overall.

T: Hm. It's a mess - in classic Stone fashion. There's just no balance or even seemingly any attempt to balance the flavours. I get light sourness, which lacks flavour depth or interest. Murky caramel, earthy hops, and biscuit malt. Bland cinnamon. I'm not getting any chili pepper at all; however they handled the peppers, the execution is poor. Nutmeg spice. Some other unwelcome spices. I get some grapeskin, but it's mainly suggestive of white wine grapes, not red wine. I get no red wine notes at all, really. The red wine barrel aging was poorly handled. Lacks creamy character. I can't emphasize the lack of balance and cohesion enough; it feels like a mess of random flavours jumbled together, not a masterfully brewed and balanced beer. What did I expect from Stone? Built okay, I guess. Why is this classified as a chili beer?

Mf: Smooth and wet. Lightly acidic. Overcarbonated. Way too much body. Too thick. Bad presence on the palate. Doesn't feel at all tailored to the flavour profile, nor is it all that complementary. Lacks deliberation. I'm unimpressed. Thank God it's not watery.

Dr: Stone once again makes me question why I keep buying their beers. I want to like them as much as others seem to, but the quality just isn't there. And it's overpriced as hell, even in L.A. Why is this brewery so well regarded? This is a poorly executed barrel aged beer, and a missed opportunity - and if it's supposed to be a chili beer, it's crap - frankly. A mess of a beer in a gimmicky-as-hell series. This one should be skipped, especially at its ridiculous price point. Why did I buy this? What's wrong with me?

Low C+

Holland, Feb 25, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

abex44, Feb 24, 2013

DIPAFAN, Feb 18, 2013
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) from Stone Brewing Co.