2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,425 | Reviews: 1,814 | Show All Ratings:
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Color is a dark copper ruby.

Aroma: Oak, vanilla, caramel, some heat, sweet dried fruits. A nice complex aroma. Really nice lacing on this beer. Looks pretty good to me.

Taste: Wow, this is a hot beer. Big oak and vanilla taste fuel this beer. A ton of dark dried fruits mixed with caramel back it up. It is pretty good, but there is a lot of heat here. A ton of floral hops are also present.

Mouthfeel: Hot, creamy, smooth. Medium to full bodied with a lower level of carbonation. Ends with an oaky vanilla dry aftertaste.

Overall, I am not to impressed with this beer. It is just way to hot for me. I like the oak flavor, but the alcohol that it brings with it is too much. I should be able to finish this fine, however.

09-12-2009 01:02:37 | More by mothman
Scotchboy

Idaho

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard

I'm sure this isn't the freshest bottle. 120z poured into a NB globe.

Pours a murky hazy brown with an off-white or light khaki head. Sediment was visible on the pour. Head retention wasn't great but a quick swirl always revived it, and lacing was superb.

I'm surprised by how well the hops are shining thru still. On the nose it's pungent and astringent, very aromatic in an earthy way. There is definitely some sweetness in the middle too, not sure if I would classify it as 'woody' or 'oaky' but it's definitely a touch sweet, with a hint of brown sugar or molasses, with a little raisin and date character as well. The caramel malts are there too.

My first impression when I taste it, is this thing has a good mouthfeel. The crisp carbonation hits the front of your tongue, moves it's way back through your mouth and preps your palette for the hop bitterness, which arrives promptly thereafter. Not a ton of bite, just enough to let you know it's there. It's a bit oily and coats your mouth in a nice way. There is a touch of dark fruit and nuttiness, that reminds me of something between a quad and a brown ale. I think the oak is there, the dryness on the tip of my tongue tastes wood-like. Spicy and earthy.

It would say overall it definitely has some woody flavors. The more I sipped, the more those 'earthy' qualities seemed like they could easily by oak and oak chip characteristics.

Somewhere on the medium side of drinkability. The slight bitterness does linger, and while not bad it isn't my favorite aftertaste.

Overall I wouldn't look for this beer again, but the fact that most reviewers said thatthis beer had massive hop presence, and the fact that my bottle is both older and hasn't been refrigerated, leads me to think I'll be buying a fresh bottle someday to re-review.

03-04-2011 05:52:56 | More by Scotchboy
jsh420

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

pours clear ruby brown with a 1 finger off white head that left lacing all down the glass

smells like their ipa - lots of pine and grapefruit

taste - while i was disappointed it didnt have the oak aged flavors i was looking forward to it did still taste good - a very balanced dipa? hops punch you in the face to start then the nutty caramel malts come through on the finish

mouthfeel - medium body with good carbonation very smooth and creamy

overall this beer takes a huge hit based on its price $18 a sixer - - how in the world did they come up with this price

04-25-2011 04:23:43 | More by jsh420
rarbring

Sweden

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

The beer is clear copper, a warm yellow head, little lacing and good curtains.

Smelling of fudge, raisins, vanilla and some alcohol.

Very sweet start, toffe, brown sugar, then oak and woody acid, apple seeds.

Medium low carbonation, soft and smooth, a huge body and light dry finish.

Good, but feels a bit young, and as often, do the cask really improve the beer?

01-16-2012 19:43:51 | More by rarbring
rfbenavi80

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

poured into a pint glass. bottle was kept in refrigerator.

A- mildly hazy dark amber, with a thumbs width of creamy head
that dissipates very slowly leaving a lacing that covers the
entire glass. Looks very inviting.

S- hoppy with some mild oak.

T- Grapefruit, pine, and a little bit of caramel.

M- Kind of thick. Creamy, has good carbonation.

O- Good beer to end the day with.

01-17-2012 03:18:25 | More by rfbenavi80
olfolxholme

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip (like a beer microscope)

A - A beautiful deep dark brown. Poured aggressively and achieved a nice two finger light tan head - looks healthy. Head eventually settles to a nice little layer with decent retention and re-formation, good lacing. Bottle artwork is pretty typical Stone machismo and tiny text. It's cool but I'm a little over it.

S - Not as strong as I'd expect - a pleasant but faint hop aroma. Some malt appeared as it warmed up.

T - Took a few sips while this was maybe a little too cold - I'll let it warm up a little. Even when cold, though, the flavor is complex and changes as it lingers. Pretty cool. Mostly hop flavor, for me. It's been too long since I've had the regular version, so it's hard for me to pinpoint the differences of this oak version. The oak isn't really pronounced. I honestly am not sure I'd even pick up on it without being told it's supposed to be there.

M - Smooth going down, surprisingly thin. A bitter aftertaste leaves a dry heat all over your mouth. This is where some of the flavor complexity reveals itself, though.

O - It's good, but I'm not going gaga over this beer. I actually wonder if it has to do with the glass. I'd like to try it again out of something closer to a pint glass. I have very fond memories of this from about a year ago, but this didn't live up. Maybe that's the problem? I don't know. Maybe I'm just not "worthy." Definitely worth trying. I'm sure I'll have it again.

01-26-2012 05:05:33 | More by olfolxholme
iabeerbaron

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Was somewhat frightened of this one going in since I don't have much experience with oak aged beers yet but I really enjoyed this brew. Nice off white head with a dark brown pour. Smell was wood, maybe alcohol in there as well. Flavor was surprisingly very smooth and not overpowering. Great stuff; would buy again!

04-11-2012 18:30:45 | More by iabeerbaron
JamesMN

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Got a 12oz bottle for $4 at a local liquor store. Let's see if it's worth the cash. Poured vigorously into a tulip glass, producing a small one finger head that has shrunk a little but seems to be sticking around.

Appearance: Light brown/nutty color. Cloudy, can see some sediment in it when held up to the light. Looks nice. (Left amazing lacing on the glass).

Aroma: Earthy. Can smell some almost candy sweetness, probably the hops. Very slight hint of the oak aging.

Taste: Maltier than the regular Bastard. The hops are also not as present. Some caramel and dried fruit notes. A little reminiscent of an imperial brown ale.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. Almost something you'd want to slowly sip over an hour or so, but the drinkability is high enough that bigger gulps are rewarded with a smooth mouthfeel.

Final Thoughts: In the future, I'll probably opt for the regular Arrogant Bastard over this more mature version. However, it is a very nice and complex beer with a flavor that stays with you even minutes after you've swallowed.

07-15-2012 04:51:09 | More by JamesMN
Crosling

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Draught. Copper. Aroma consisted of the typical lemony and grapefruit like hops and toasted and caramel like malts that are usually present in the standard Bastard. Added notes of strawberry jam, vanilla and toasted oak became evident in the nose as well. In terms of flavor, the hops toned down a lot. Toasted oak and vanilla became evident as well. I had this on draught twice on two different days. It wasn’t that good and this isn’t what I consider to be an improvement. But you might.

11-10-2004 23:52:26 | More by Crosling
aforbes10

Iowa

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I bought two bottles of this at City Wide in South Bend last week and im just now opening up the first.

A:Pours into my tulip glass dark brown with a hint of crimson. Khaki-colored head and some really sticky lacing. very pretty.

O: Smells hoppy and full of alcohol. Also some medicinal quality to the odor. Sweat and feet are both things i pick out too, im sorry to say. And, yeah, there's some oak smell.

T: Well, its certainly interesting. Quite complex. Very bitter up front and also quite piney/sprucey (funny, i don't get any oak in the flavor). Lots of nasty (good-nasty) hops and the alcohol is obvious and somewhat welcome. Some small amount of vanilla on the finish and the bitterness hangs on throughout. Tastes like A-B with a lot more alcohol and less refined.

M: Full mouthfeel, not as syrupy as I expected.

D: I don't know how i feel about his overall. Yeah, its an interesting thing to do with an already interesting beer, but it kind of just funks it up and makes it harder to drink and, well, less fun to drink. I'd rather have the Bastard straight, thanks. Next up is the Double Bastard that's in my fridge.

12-06-2006 14:12:11 | More by aforbes10
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Aroma: Caramel, citrus, coconut, vanilla.

Looks: Dark reddish-brown. Average sized off-white head with poor head retention. Some lace was left behind, but not much.

Taste: A little bit of smokiness, pine, coconut, malty sweetness, citrus. Alcohol is tasted and felt (hot). It has a long bitter finish. Layers of flavours. It is complex & I am having a bit of trouble accurately describing it in further detail.

Mouthfeel: Fine carbonation, in lower than average volumes. Medium bodied.

Overall, it's a great Beer, but I have my suspicions that this is not just the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale that has been aged with oak chips, but that they tweaked the recipe a smidge first.

12-19-2007 19:56:19 | More by BrewSomerville
jmalex

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

It's been a while since I've had this so today's review will be just like I'm having it for the first time.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a brownish amber with some orange hues to it. The head starts at 1-2 fingers and drops eventually to a massive collar and a hazy and full surface of foam. Rings of lacing mark the sizes of my swallows all the way down the glass.

SMELL: The nose is strong on the familiar piny, herbal, and slightly citrusy and resinous Arrogant Bastard hop profile. Some oak and vanilla do make it through, though in lighter amounts. A bready malt base backs everything up and balances the beer out.

TASTE: The taste is surprisingly mild on the flavor of the hops and sweetness of malt, but it's made up for in the strength of the oak flavors. It lasts from nearly the start through the entire finish. The hops outshine the malt by a pretty decent margin, though I wish both were amped up a bit more as the emptiness that they give the beer makes me want more. As it is with the piny hops and the woody oak flavors, it's a Christmas tree in a glass.

MOUTHFEEL: Could this possibly be too thin? I don't know if I've grown accustomed to bigger beers so much that this seems like it could be beefed up considerably. The lightness is a little refreshing though even if the beer is slightly syrupy. Carbonation is only slightly higher than average and is where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: It certainly does well here. As far as wood-aged beers go, this is one of the more easy drinkers that I've had. I have always wondered why this doesn't come in bombers. There are many of Stone's beers that are harder to get through than this one.

Okay, it's a nice beer and fun to compare to the original. Definitely recommended to try, but for me it probably won't repeat in my fridge too often - especially for the price.

02-15-2008 21:48:27 | More by jmalex
Gtreid

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bgramer is to be thanked for this tasty concoction.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Rich, clear, auburn color with 1 1/2 fingers of tannish white head. Lacing is thick, spidery, and just allover the glass.

A: Biscuit malts and wood. Hops are subtle, but present. Classic Ale smell. Very nice.

T: The wood was not as prevelent as it was in the aroma, but the oak aging really enhances the complexities of the beer.

M: Medium body, next to no carbonation. Tinggly feeling in the front, bitter finish.

D: Very nice brew from the fellows over at Stone. Similer to DFH Immort IMO but just not as strong. The woodyness limits the drinkibility in my case, but none the less a fine selection. Skal.

05-31-2008 00:55:18 | More by Gtreid
SusurusIgnoramus

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now.

08-22-2008 21:27:04 | More by SusurusIgnoramus
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods in Portland. Pours a hazy copper body with a half inch of light tan head. Lemon, grapefruit, pith, pine, with some woodiness. Tastes citrussy, with pine, pith, lemon, grapefruit, wood, vanilla... Um, cat pee notes? Hints of caramel and toffee in the aftertaste. A little aqueous in the mouthfeel with light carbonation. This beer grew on me, but I must say I was much more impressed with regular Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard. Still, I'd love to try it on tap.

12-09-2008 01:57:10 | More by MrHurmateeowish
nataku00

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a tulip. Beer is murky rusty dark brown, with hints of red. Soapy half a finger of tan colored head leaves a bit of lacing that clings nicely to the glass.

Nose is very fresh wood, like standing next to an oak tree and scratching it. Arrogant Bastard base is almost second fiddle to that woody aroma, but the citrus hops and caramel malts are still there though somewhat feint.

Taking a sip, still very oak dominated. I believe this is aged a bit on oak chips, which provides a very dominant and fresh woody flavor that doesn't quite suit my tastes. Still a nice grapefruit pith hop bitterness under all that wood, with some dark caramel malts coming through near the finish. However, the wood is the main flavor.

Medium bodied, slick and oily mouthfeel, with just enough light carbonation to keep your tongue from being tarred with wood juice. Finish is a long and lingering fresh oak with light grapefruit peel bitterness. Fairly easy to drink, if you can get past how wooden this version of the Bastard is. Not really my type of wood flavor.

03-14-2011 01:44:09 | More by nataku00
tone77

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brownish/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hops. Taste is hops up front, a bit of oak smoothness, a touch of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and good beer.

09-09-2011 17:51:56 | More by tone77
RickDPgh

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A little background on myself: I had a hot sauce drinking accident and burned my esophagus, mouth, tongue and skin after I vomited the mixture back up. This was 13 years ago. Since then, my beer likes have turned to the more hoppier IPAs and dry hopped brews and oaked brews because of my burnt taste buds. And now, my thoughts about this beer:

The color is a hazy orange ambery in normal light. The smell was a little skunky and oaky at first (may have been and older bottle or not temperatured correctly). By the name "Oaked" Arrogant Bastard, I was expecting oak. Might just be me, but could not taste any oak; perhaps the hops used covered up the oak??? At 7.2% ABV, it drinks more like a 5.5 or 6 ABV.

Bottom line, I would buy it again when in the mood for this style. I would also be very interested in trying a "Oaked" Double Bastard if there is such a thing.

11-21-2011 04:17:02 | More by RickDPgh
comfortablynumb1

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter...

A - Pours a dark amber with a two finger tan head. Head retention is good, and there is some sticky lace to be had...

S - Caramel, oak, a good dose of citrus hops, and some toasted malts...

T - Caramel, toffee, and grapefruit. Finishes with a good hop bittereness and some toasted malts that linger in the aftertaste. Oak is alot more prominate in the scent. There might be a little, but it is very subdued. Abv is well hidden...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation...

O - Wondering if I got an older bottle because the oak was almost non existent. Glad I tried this one, but I think I will stick with the regular version if I am in the mood for some ABA. The finish lingers on a little long for my likings...

Cheers...

11-29-2011 05:26:26 | More by comfortablynumb1
BMMillsy

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark red with nice head. Aroma of pine hops and faint oak. Definite malt presence. Flavor has a nice oak up front and strong toffee malt. Hops give it a crisp finish. The dry sharp oak seems to wash out some of the nice regular arrogant bastard malt sweetness that balanced this beer. Not bad, but need to be in the mood for some oakiness for sure. A bit like chewing on a piece of wood.

01-16-2013 20:26:26 | More by BMMillsy
JMBSH

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Color and Appearence : Dark amber with what appears to be a couple bits of charred oak.

Aroma: A light carmel scent.

Bitterness: Also lighter then expected when first tasted. Then it strikes from the back of the mouth much more fuller. Nice surprise.

Taste: The bitterness is not so overpowering that you find yourself wanting no more then one serving. No real aftertaste. Finishes clean. Was personally hoping for a stronger oak taste underneath the beer.

Carbonation: Fairly light with a quickly gone head after a hard pour. Ring around side of glass lasts through out.

10-15-2007 02:19:13 | More by JMBSH
currysage1

Maine

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Pours a honey stained mahogany, creamy one finger head, sinks but stays, amazing lacing.

Smell is of wet grain, light toffee, some decent hop presence but not that impressive.

Taste is good, a nice IPA bitterness but it's the oak. Caramel sweet smoothness, stone fruit pits, vanilla that mixes with the alcohol. Good but I prefer the AB a little more.

Feel is standard ale/strong ale, medium body, light carb, refreshing but satisfying. Overall I enjoyed but for the money would buy others.

11-15-2008 08:56:53 | More by currysage1
GRG1313

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Dark amber/red with a nice thick tan head. A bit of oak comes through in the nose which is primarily of wax fruit and hops. Flavors are pleasant-full rich malt with nice balance of bitter hops. Flavors finish hop heavy and then is long lasting. Not a lot of oak in the mouth, if any, a bit of a disappointment that. A second bottle provided a bit more malt in the nose and a hint more wood in the flavor but it may just have been expectation with the second bottle. Bitter hop finish. Quality and well made; not as "significant" as one may want.

05-16-2009 07:40:57 | More by GRG1313
jwhawkins81

Aroma - A lot of citrus hops

Appearance - Dark amber red with a thick tan head

Taste - Definitely a lot of hops up front but plenty of malt to balance this beer. The hop bitterness lingers. I may be fooling myself here but I detected a slight woody aftertaste.

Notes - A good mouthfeel but a little more carbonation wouldn't have hurt. I really like Arrogant Bastard but this struck me as too hoppy. That can't be right. I'll mark this one down as a revisit candidate, maybe with a side by side for regular AB.

05-27-2009 00:28:26 | More by jwhawkins81
kbutler1

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown color with a tan head, actually looks really good in my opinion. Good lace. Malty oak nose with a slight hops aroma. Sweet earthy upfront flavor with a more than expected hop bitterness presence at the end. Medium mouthfeel. Another solid beer from Stone.

09-24-2010 14:29:17 | More by kbutler1
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.