2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,433 | Reviews: 1,814 | Show All Ratings:
jbertsch

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Opaque mahagnony in color. Half finger of white head, fades to a ring that hangs around.

Aroma is primarily oaky wood, earth, grainy malt, nuts.

Flavor lprofile serves up a similar malt profile found in red ales, but with the addition of faint brown sugar, spicy hops and a note of vanilla. Long bitter finish but its not too mich to take. More of a pleasant bittnerness.

Average mouthfeel. On the fuller side.

Overall enjoyable. I think I may like the unoaked version better as its hop profile is a bitter brighter and less bitter. But the oaky wood notes in this is nice.

05-11-2012 01:11:50 | More by jbertsch
Beelzebeer

Newfoundland (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -15%

bottle, served in a tulip.

A - Cloudy amber red with plentiful light biscuit colour head. Good amount stays, leaving some nice lacing behind.

S - Hop aroma with good malt backbone. Oak, with light toffee and sugar.

T - Toffee malt with low carbonation at the beginning. Light pine hop at the finish, with a long aftertaste.

M - Not enough carbonation for my tastes. More like the amount in a cask. A little too thin, but stays in the mouth, which is redeeming.

I don't know if I'd have it again. Not my fav, but not that bad. Not a fan of cask ales, so maybe if it had a little more carbonation, I'd be more into it.

05-21-2012 22:01:17 | More by Beelzebeer
scruffwhor

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Bought at Parti-Pak Liqours in Indy. I got there last three 12oz bottles. The next Time I went in there, they had a big ass magnum of the stuff on sale for about $60.

My first Oaked Arrogant Bastard.... Ohhh joyous day.

Appearance- Reminds me of a Peruvian Walnut I saw at the local exotic wood store some 2 months back. Light tan head that hngs around for awhile, but digresses to a thick foam. Very light bubbling, but some sporadic lacing sticks fast to my pint glass.

Smell- For a second or two, it smelled like BO and bananas. The Bo subsides greatly after a few more sniffs. The hops mixes a bit oddly with the oak in this offereing. Give the beer an aroma tha isn't as flattering as expected. The bananas was really of putting but unique though.

Taste- Hops and oak come together in an odd marriage. Not as pleasing as I expected. The first flavor is that of stinky, Pacific hops the lend an almost musty bitterness. The oak kicks in a little later in the middle of the palate. The some bitter bisciut hit you right after the oak and its light vanilla nuance towards the end.

Very unique, ans still worth the tiume and effort to come by it. But it definetly wasn't the orgasmic brew I had expected. I'll save one bottle for aging, with no time limit set at the moment. I will get back to you on how that turns out.

01-30-2007 06:25:45 | More by scruffwhor
guinnessfan

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle aquired via trade with akorsak.

A: Slightly clouded amber color, with a tan head that recedes to a thin ring. Leaves some lacing behind.

S: Similar to regular Bastard, except for the slightly smokey oak. Some vanilla smell.

T: Same as smell. Slightly astringent. Not too bad, though. No vanilla taste, too bitter.

M: Dry yet creamy smooth. Don't know if the bitterness is all from the hops or some from carbonation.

D: about the sam eas regular Bastard. Gets batter as it warms.

This OAB is a nice change of pace from the regular. Decent beer.

04-23-2007 22:40:47 | More by guinnessfan
kelticblood

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Strong hoppy aroma when first opened. First sips reveal a strong bitterness along with an earthy tone. The appearance has almost the same color as the bottle it came in, a dark brown. Has moderate thin lacing and a head that reduced real quick to almost nothing. Would of liked to see a bigger head for such a hyped beer.
Nicely carbonated with a full body. Leaves a very dry bitter finish. The hop flavor and bitterness hides any other tastes that might be present. Alcohol is well hidden making it easy to drink. I'm not really getting an aged ale with oak chip tastes.Maybe the earthy tone I tasted was the oak chips. It does taste different than regular Arrogant bastard which I prefer. It does have a slight sweet finish. I'm not really impressed with this. The price they were charging was outrageous at like $16.99 a six-pack. I only bought a single.

11-12-2007 01:38:31 | More by kelticblood
Mdog

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Dark red-amber, good head and lacing.

Smell: Stuck my nose in while pouring and got nothing but a kind of earthy smell.

Taste: Pine and citrus bitterness at first, then a splash of oaky flavor before a long bitter finish.

Drinkability: I like the 12oz bottle, I don't like the price tag.

Picked up a single of this to try over in Wiscoland. Other than the disappointing smell, this was a pretty solid beer. The oak is present, but not over the top.

06-21-2009 20:41:28 | More by Mdog
bob3701

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Shaker pint. Pours a hazy red/amber with particals suspended in the brew. Small off white head the quickly goes into a film with OK lacing. Aroma of hoppy flowers, alcohol and citrus. Smoother than regular Arrogant Bastard with piny and grassy flavors and a bitter citrus finish. Not a fan of this style but got this as a Christmas present. Love reading the bottle however.

02-19-2010 00:57:59 | More by bob3701
beertunes

Washington

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a fan of regular AB, but like Oaked a fair bit better. The color is a reddish mahogany with about 3/4 inch of medium tan head that had decent retention and lacing. The harsh aromas and flavors of standard AB are soften with the time on the oak.

The woody scent masks some of the hop sharpness, but those hops still show through on the tongue. The body is much smoother and thus more enjoyable.

While drinkability is better than the normal Gargoyle, I still can't see having more than one or two of these at a sitting.

01-02-2011 05:51:16 | More by beertunes
divineaudio

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a tulip.

a - pours ruby red with an inch or so of sudsy, cream colored head. after calming i get a thick ring of foam and thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - bready with some grapefruit, tart sourness, faint grassiness.

t - toffee malt with a sourdough breadiness to it. strong pine resin bitterness. i'm not getting any oak flavors at all.

m - medium in body, slightly oily, adequate carbonation, finer co2 profile.

o - decent, but i don't see what this offers over regular arrogant bastard. certainly not worth the higher price tag. pass.

03-19-2012 06:19:49 | More by divineaudio
kdb150

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A - Deep reddish brown, about a finger of head. Recedes quickly, but lots of lacing. Looks pretty good.

S - Smells very strongly of caramel malts and hops, with a decent dose of vanilla and a hint of wood. Very, very nice aroma. Rich and complex, worth smelling over and over again.

T - Doesn't live up to the nose. The hops do not meld very well with the woodiness, and there is an odd bitterness that lingers and also overpowers the maltiness. Rather one-dimensional and lacking in flavor for a strong ale, even one with relatively low ABV. Smells MUCH better than it tastes. Very disappointing

M - Right on for the style. Light in ABV for a strong ale, and the mouthfeel matches. No syrupy or sweet aftertaste. Carbonation feels right.

O - I'm honestly not sure what this beer is trying to be. The color and dark caramel character never melded very well with the strong hoppiness of the normal Bastard, and the oaky vanilla character doesn't either. It's not bad, but it's also not very good. Certainly not worth having again, since it's far too small to age.

07-28-2012 05:36:15 | More by kdb150
Flounder57

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a dismal head that quickly reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper crimson color with good clarity and only a small amount of slow moving bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Caramel and toasted Malts ,Citrus, and other fruity notes.

Taste: Citrus, oak, vanilla, bitterness, caramel, chocolate, and bready notes.

Mouthfeel: Subltely smooth, low to medium carbonation, medium bodied, and easy to drink.

Overall: A nice offering by Stone. For some reason, this hop bomb is a bit much.

12-20-2012 07:41:51 | More by Flounder57
RWLawman

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Maroon in color with little head to speak of.

S - Immediately detect the presence of piney hops, along with a sweet smell and malts.

T - I agree with another reviewer with his assessment of the flavor experience in order: Astringent taste followed by sweet and malty, lastly the tingling presence of pine hops.

M - Medium-bodied with a tingling carbonation.

O - Not my typical style or preference, but it was a refreshing change in pace. Solid offering by a solid brewery.

06-10-2013 00:13:31 | More by RWLawman
tayner

Arizona

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a deep golden color with an off white head.

smelled of wood, hops, and lightly of malts.

Dominant flavor was oak and hops, not very well balanced out with malts.

Crisp mouthfeel, clean finish.

I am not a huge fan of oak in my beer unless it is a bourbon barrel so this one was a tad hard for me to drink as i tasted no bourbon at all, just wood and hops, but for what it is, it is okay. i wouldnt choose to drink it again over all the other choices though.

01-29-2008 12:46:41 | More by tayner
MisterClean

12 oz from total wine.

A - Dark maroon with lots of capuccino colored head. Dissipates slow with light legs.

S - Red Cherries, oak chips, anise, and honey.

T - Oaky, malty, and cherries.

M - Chewy, slightly bitter and dry. Not liking the ending bitterness. Way too much earthy hops.

D - The mouthfeel really throws off this beer. I really like the regular one though.

02-24-2008 05:25:49 | More by MisterClean
david18

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure what the big deal is here. It pretty much tastes the same as the regular Arrogant Bastard, the one advantage is that you can get it in 12 ounce bottles. worth getting if that' s importnat to you and if the per ounce price is not much higher than the standard.

07-21-2009 23:37:04 | More by david18
DoctorDog

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Best by 09 08 09" printed lightly on the bottom of the bottle.

A- Clear reddish amber. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy tan head, which fades very slowly to a solid cap; incredible retention. Ample lacing.

S- Bit of pine/herbal hoppiness....perhaps some oaken notes. Light maltiness. Hints of metallic aroma.

T- Pine & herbal hop, hints of malty sweetness, smoky/charcoal/wood, metallic twinge. A lot going on with the interjection of oak...interesting, but not completely working for me.

M- Moderate carbonation with a pretty full feel. Actually fairly creamy, and goes down smooth....oiliness builds and coats as consumed. Quite good here.

D- Ok. The oakiness would seems to dull my palate pretty rapidly, so I don't think I'd ever opt for more than one 12 oz'er at a time.

Future outlook: This was alright, but for my money, wasn't as good as "regular" AB. Probably won't revisit anytime soon.

08-05-2009 01:42:46 | More by DoctorDog
punkrkr27

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark ruby brown pour with a small dense tan head. Mellow grapefruit and vanilla aroma with hints of dark fruit. Malty vanilla and oak flavor up front, slightly nutty flavor in the middle, little bit of honey, leading to a dry and bitter finish. Medium body.

08-11-2010 16:17:21 | More by punkrkr27
kbnooshay

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured a dark ruby brown color with a small but frothy off white head. Body is slightly hazy. Nice lacing is coating the glass in an even fashion.

Aroma is malty and has lots of sweetness. Brown sugar and caramel dominates. Hops take the backseat but are there. Not sure if I smell any oak.

Taste is super rich. Flavors in the vein of molasses, maple syrup, and caramel dominate. There is definitely some oak in there. Hop bitterness comes in way too late though. This is kinda one dimensional. And the dimension is sweetness.

Feel is slick and tingly.

This isn't awful, but i much prefer stones stouts, or IPAs.

08-23-2010 01:35:41 | More by kbnooshay
haazer

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Sampled at the Winter Beerfest in Philly.

A- A very dark, ruby/emerald stone appearance. Red and orange tints throughout. No head on this, seems like it may be flat.

S- Cherry aroma is first, followed by earthy and oaky notes.

T- Tastes somewhat like cherry pitts, nice and sweet. Oak flavors and flower petals add a nice herbal flavor. Some hoppiness detected in the background.

M- Very smooth, slightly astringent. Medium bodied brew. Almost no carbonation.

D- Easily drinkable, goes down easy. I have to say I kind've put this beer on a pedestool heading into the festival as one of my must try's and was a little let down. Maybe I'll have to revesit this one later.

02-16-2011 00:52:27 | More by haazer
StoutHunter

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale that my brother brought back for his trip down south. I have never had Arrogant Bastard before but I have had Double Bastard, which I liked, so I am continuing to try these Bastard beers backwards, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good and it has the signature Stone look to it, looks good to me. It poured a nice muddy brown color that took on a hazy and dark caramel like color. It had two and half fingers worth of bubbly light tan head that died down to to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This a proper looking American Strong Ale, I like it.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of sweet malts that have a high amount of sweetness to them and impart some light toasted, caramel, slight toffee, brown sugar, brown bread and some grainy aromas. After that I get a pretty noticeable amount of dark fruits with the raisins and plums sticking out the most, there is also some citrus and earthy hops. Towards the end is where I pick up the barrel which imparts some oak and vanilla that is little lighter then I expected and it has a boozy aroma towards the end. The aroma is OK, but I wish it wasn't so sweet and that the barrel stuck out a little more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma. It starts off with loads of malts that still have a higher amount of sweetness but they aren't as sweet as the aroma, they impart some caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and brown bread flavors along with all the dark fruits that I picked up in the aroma. Next I pick up some light barrel flavors with a little vanilla and oak coming through along with a pretty noticeable amount of hops that imparted a slight citrus and earthy flavor. Towards the end there was some warming alcohol that was slightly harsh and it had a high amount of medium bitterness with a sweet caramel and malty aftertaste. This beer tasted OK, but I would have like to have tasted more of the barrel and I thought the alcohol could have been hidden much better, it was a little harsh for only being 7.20%.

M- Slightly smooth, a little creamy, and slightly sticky, medium bodied, with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was OK, but it felt a little watery and the booze hurt the smoothness of this beer.

Overall I thought that this was an OK beer and a slightly above average example of an American Strong Ale, it had some nice complexity, but some of the things that should have been highlighted ended up being overshadowed by all the sweet malts. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and it was a little boozy, one is enough for me, I wouldn't want a second. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty good in my snifter and it had a nice caramel color along with good head retention. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance and the fact that the barrel treatment really didn't stick out that much. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I am glad I tried it, but when I want something barrel aged, I think I will look elsewhere. I recommend giving this beer a try, but it for sure isn't for everyone. Stone is a pretty good brewery, most of the beers I have had from them have been pretty intense, that's why I was let down with how light the barrel flavors in this beer where, I always expect big, bold and in your face beers from Stone, and this one didn't quite live up to my expectations, it's a decent beer, but nothing worth tracking down, Double Bastard is still my favorite of Stone's Bastard series.

05-15-2012 03:47:15 | More by StoutHunter
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Welp, I'm not sure how 'special' this is for review #200, but seeing as Arrogant Bastard was one of the first beers I REALLY liked, why not review the oaked version right now; not only to compare it to regular AB, but to see how far my tastes have changed since then? 12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a reddish chestnut brown color with low translucence and extreme arrogance (at least it's supposed to be arrogant!) The head is a one finger light cream color with a fantastic texture that settles down into a thin, creamy looking film.

S: Light baker's chocolate, oak, vanilla, toffee, hazelnut, herbal hops, and caramel malt. Pleasantly aromatic, but a little weak.

T: I expected this to taste like Arrogant Bastard with slight oakiness...and indeed it does. Initial flavors are very nutty and caramel-y, before giving way to loads of oily pine resin. The oak profile only seems to plane away some of the harshness from the piny hops and help accentuate the nut flavors. Actually, this is kind of subdued in general flavor wise, even pleasant once you're accustomed to the bitterness.

M: Just like regular AB, it's medium bodied, with an oily, resinous aftertaste loaded with big hoppiness. Like I said before, its slightly tannic nature softens up the harshness slightly but gives a cleaner, drier finish...which is saying something considering how dry regular AB is. Adequate, pleasantly controlled carbonation round out the texture.

O: Arrogant Bastard is no longer one my favorite beers now, but after two misfires from Stone (Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean and Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale), it's good to have them get back into my good graces again with this solid - if not amazing - drink. Long live liquid arrogance!

07-31-2012 20:32:07 | More by ThisWangsChung
oggg

Cask @ Real Ale Fest 6/04 Carlsbad

This beer is a hazy/murky brown, with a big bubbled foam. The aroma was just slightly hoppy, with some malt, and the smell of wet wood. On tasting, I got a restrained bitterness coupled with sweet malt and a mild roastiness. It seem to change on me and was sometimes sweet, sometimes dry. I'm not good at picking out vanilla. I just couldn't get a hold of this beer -- not clean enough, not hoppy enough...

I almost wet my pants when this beer appeared at the festival, but I was sorta disappointed when I finally got it.

Serving type: cask

06-18-2004 05:15:42 | More by oggg
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark ruby color with an off white head that dissipates quickly to lace on the sides of the glass. The smell is an odd mix of hops, pine, and grapefruit. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with a little beer in there too. I couldn't drink to many of these, in fact I like the non oak version much better. It was nice to try, but not one of my favorites.

12-09-2007 06:27:54 | More by johnnnniee
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours big and bold. It didn't seem like I was going to get a head on it, so halfway through, more aggressive I became. Head was there, and it was one of those cascading beauties that you usually see with Imperial Stouts. Brownish when I look at it on the table, orange hued when held up to the light. Topped by the aforementioned head, thick and creamy, the color off-white, with bright orange highlights. Some nice lacing as the head retreats.

Aroma is strong in this one, citrus and caramel mainly.

Caramel is my first impression, followed quickly by red grapefruit. As far as the "oaking" of this beer, I have to say that it's on the low spectrum. Some general woodiness, a bit of vanilla, I'm not quite sure how to interpret, but it's pretty good. I'd like to do a side by side with the original, as well as the double. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was barrel aged, and that this would have more of a bourbon flavor. I'm happy to say it's not. I'm not a fan generally of those flavors, therefore, I'm happier with this than I anticipated. Digressions aside, this is a very tasty beer. A bit of alcohol warmth as the temperature of the beer drops, but not anywhere near a "bite." The downside here, is the hops seem quite a bit less assertive. I wish they were more up front.

Mouthfeel is good, very full bodied and surprisingly, quite refreshing.

Overall, I could drink a few, but definitely not what I'd call a session beer. More like a special occasion beer. Still, a fine beer, but I prefer the original AB much better.

01-07-2009 03:45:47 | More by dancinwillie
ThreeWiseMen

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this on-tap at Spike's tonight (as well as Tuesday night). I'm loving "Most Arrogant Bar in the Country" week!

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear orange-brown body with randomly-placed shades of red. Head is initially foamy and khaki-colored, but eventually settles as a creamy, sticky cap. Very nice head retention on the whole and lots of web-like lacing.

Smell: Big, buttery oak dominates the nose. A better description might be buttered popcorn with some sweet oak and hints of vanilla. Sweet and pleasant. Hardly comparable to regular Arrogant Bastard.

Taste: Buttery oak, caramel, and resinous piney hops. Not much bitterness unfortunately. Similar to regular Arrogant Bastard, but oakier/butterier and all around dulled.

Mouthfeel: This felt surprisingly watery. Carbonation was very low (borderline flat) and body was definitely thin. On top of that, bitterness and alcoholic kick were both weak.

Drinkability: While this was certainly smoother and easier than regular AB, I really missed that extra arrogance. Oaked Arrogant Bastard on-tap was just too flat and dull. Still tasty though.

11-13-2009 07:45:16 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.