Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,069
3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

A large off-white head. Very creamy with excellent lacing. The overall appearance is quite intimidating, a murk dark brown/red. The aroma is great, a sweet hoppy mollasses with a light doughy scent. The palate on this beer took me off guard, I was expecting a kick your ass alcohol taste, but instead I got a medium body with very soft carbonation. The flavor was very sweet and the alcoholic finish didn't last 2 days like the Ruination IPA did. (446 characters)

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear, ruby red colored body, with a huge foamy whitish head, frothy and lasting. Soft aroma, some hops but woody & muted. Not too strong. Muted hoppy taste. Woody. Not a bitter aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel. Sweet aftertaste. (261 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A - Deep reddish brown, about a finger of head. Recedes quickly, but lots of lacing. Looks pretty good.

S - Smells very strongly of caramel malts and hops, with a decent dose of vanilla and a hint of wood. Very, very nice aroma. Rich and complex, worth smelling over and over again.

T - Doesn't live up to the nose. The hops do not meld very well with the woodiness, and there is an odd bitterness that lingers and also overpowers the maltiness. Rather one-dimensional and lacking in flavor for a strong ale, even one with relatively low ABV. Smells MUCH better than it tastes. Very disappointing

M - Right on for the style. Light in ABV for a strong ale, and the mouthfeel matches. No syrupy or sweet aftertaste. Carbonation feels right.

O - I'm honestly not sure what this beer is trying to be. The color and dark caramel character never melded very well with the strong hoppiness of the normal Bastard, and the oaky vanilla character doesn't either. It's not bad, but it's also not very good. Certainly not worth having again, since it's far too small to age. (1,121 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brownish/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hops. Taste is hops up front, a bit of oak smoothness, a touch of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and good beer. (257 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a tulip. Beer is murky rusty dark brown, with hints of red. Soapy half a finger of tan colored head leaves a bit of lacing that clings nicely to the glass.

Nose is very fresh wood, like standing next to an oak tree and scratching it. Arrogant Bastard base is almost second fiddle to that woody aroma, but the citrus hops and caramel malts are still there though somewhat feint.

Taking a sip, still very oak dominated. I believe this is aged a bit on oak chips, which provides a very dominant and fresh woody flavor that doesn't quite suit my tastes. Still a nice grapefruit pith hop bitterness under all that wood, with some dark caramel malts coming through near the finish. However, the wood is the main flavor.

Medium bodied, slick and oily mouthfeel, with just enough light carbonation to keep your tongue from being tarred with wood juice. Finish is a long and lingering fresh oak with light grapefruit peel bitterness. Fairly easy to drink, if you can get past how wooden this version of the Bastard is. Not really my type of wood flavor. (1,069 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

It's been a while since I've had this so today's review will be just like I'm having it for the first time.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a brownish amber with some orange hues to it. The head starts at 1-2 fingers and drops eventually to a massive collar and a hazy and full surface of foam. Rings of lacing mark the sizes of my swallows all the way down the glass.

SMELL: The nose is strong on the familiar piny, herbal, and slightly citrusy and resinous Arrogant Bastard hop profile. Some oak and vanilla do make it through, though in lighter amounts. A bready malt base backs everything up and balances the beer out.

TASTE: The taste is surprisingly mild on the flavor of the hops and sweetness of malt, but it's made up for in the strength of the oak flavors. It lasts from nearly the start through the entire finish. The hops outshine the malt by a pretty decent margin, though I wish both were amped up a bit more as the emptiness that they give the beer makes me want more. As it is with the piny hops and the woody oak flavors, it's a Christmas tree in a glass.

MOUTHFEEL: Could this possibly be too thin? I don't know if I've grown accustomed to bigger beers so much that this seems like it could be beefed up considerably. The lightness is a little refreshing though even if the beer is slightly syrupy. Carbonation is only slightly higher than average and is where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: It certainly does well here. As far as wood-aged beers go, this is one of the more easy drinkers that I've had. I have always wondered why this doesn't come in bombers. There are many of Stone's beers that are harder to get through than this one.

Okay, it's a nice beer and fun to compare to the original. Definitely recommended to try, but for me it probably won't repeat in my fridge too often - especially for the price. (1,845 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

A NOTE: Price is factored in here. $20 before tax on a six pack, $60 on a case. I am trying to judge by style standards, but you should be aware of what this costs.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Corsedonk Christmas Chalice.

Appearance: A very solid ruby, lightening toward the edges in the light. Head is noticeable, but not overall important to the final appearance. The lacing really defines appearance here, and there is a beautiful lace down the side of the glass.

Smell: It's a strong ale, aged in oak. I don't know what to say. The scent is there, it isn't mindblowing and it isn't terrible. It's average.

Taste: To me, this is why you buy this (expensive) level of beer. And it totally fulfills. I had a bottle 2 years ago and thought it was the best beer I ever had or ever would. Now, it is still very good, very strong and assertive, but the "arrogance" has certainly been toned down when expectations are adjusted to a wider scope of available beer. Still delicious, and still worth the money for the taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice, lingering oak. Otherwise pretty standard, for better or for worse, strong ale feel. Honestly, I have some trouble separating this from "dark" strong ales and the original Belgian-styles, so I cannot say it has something great going. The above average is for the nice oak presence.

Overall: A solid beer that costs too much. If you can buy it, buy it. If you could get another strong ale, or even a nice barley or aged DIPA, for a lesser price, try that instead. (1,507 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

A bottle from a six pack that I got a year ago.

Dark. Some nice foam that died off quickly. A bit of sticky lace.
A nice beer that I may have ruined.

Charming smell, malty. Sweet like an old belgian.
Beverage, not a person. Toffee smell?

Bitter, medicinal. Warming. Much like a sherry. Some fiz to it.

Some vanilla and wood char.

Mouthwatering, medium body. Lighter finish to it.

Not crazy about it, and unsure if I should hold the rest longer. (453 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A little background on myself: I had a hot sauce drinking accident and burned my esophagus, mouth, tongue and skin after I vomited the mixture back up. This was 13 years ago. Since then, my beer likes have turned to the more hoppier IPAs and dry hopped brews and oaked brews because of my burnt taste buds. And now, my thoughts about this beer:

The color is a hazy orange ambery in normal light. The smell was a little skunky and oaky at first (may have been and older bottle or not temperatured correctly). By the name "Oaked" Arrogant Bastard, I was expecting oak. Might just be me, but could not taste any oak; perhaps the hops used covered up the oak??? At 7.2% ABV, it drinks more like a 5.5 or 6 ABV.

Bottom line, I would buy it again when in the mood for this style. I would also be very interested in trying a "Oaked" Double Bastard if there is such a thing. (869 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautifully dark brown hue with a quickly thinning one finger head. Mild lacking on the side of the glass.

S: The smell of this beer almost turned me away from trying it. To me at first smell it reminded me of a locker room. I know it's an unappealing thought, but that's what it reminded me of. The more I drank, the better the smell was. The flavor profile helped identify the smells.

T: It's almost like I'm licking a pine tree. It's the pineyness of a good IPA and I can taste the hops for sure.

M: Light bodied heavily carbonated with a nice bite to it.

D: The more I drank the more I enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see how my thoughts will change over the rest of the six pack (just not in one, or two, or three, sittings for that matter).

Comments: There is a definite rustic cabin feel to this beer. I feel like I should be drinking it by the fire in the middle of the woods. Unfortunately the price point of $22/six pack is not inviting me back for more. (1,039 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter...

A - Pours a dark amber with a two finger tan head. Head retention is good, and there is some sticky lace to be had...

S - Caramel, oak, a good dose of citrus hops, and some toasted malts...

T - Caramel, toffee, and grapefruit. Finishes with a good hop bittereness and some toasted malts that linger in the aftertaste. Oak is alot more prominate in the scent. There might be a little, but it is very subdued. Abv is well hidden...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation...

O - Wondering if I got an older bottle because the oak was almost non existent. Glad I tried this one, but I think I will stick with the regular version if I am in the mood for some ABA. The finish lingers on a little long for my likings...

Cheers... (782 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bgramer is to be thanked for this tasty concoction.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Rich, clear, auburn color with 1 1/2 fingers of tannish white head. Lacing is thick, spidery, and just allover the glass.

A: Biscuit malts and wood. Hops are subtle, but present. Classic Ale smell. Very nice.

T: The wood was not as prevelent as it was in the aroma, but the oak aging really enhances the complexities of the beer.

M: Medium body, next to no carbonation. Tinggly feeling in the front, bitter finish.

D: Very nice brew from the fellows over at Stone. Similer to DFH Immort IMO but just not as strong. The woodyness limits the drinkibility in my case, but none the less a fine selection. Skal. (695 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I bought two bottles of this at City Wide in South Bend last week and im just now opening up the first.

A:Pours into my tulip glass dark brown with a hint of crimson. Khaki-colored head and some really sticky lacing. very pretty.

O: Smells hoppy and full of alcohol. Also some medicinal quality to the odor. Sweat and feet are both things i pick out too, im sorry to say. And, yeah, there's some oak smell.

T: Well, its certainly interesting. Quite complex. Very bitter up front and also quite piney/sprucey (funny, i don't get any oak in the flavor). Lots of nasty (good-nasty) hops and the alcohol is obvious and somewhat welcome. Some small amount of vanilla on the finish and the bitterness hangs on throughout. Tastes like A-B with a lot more alcohol and less refined.

M: Full mouthfeel, not as syrupy as I expected.

D: I don't know how i feel about his overall. Yeah, its an interesting thing to do with an already interesting beer, but it kind of just funks it up and makes it harder to drink and, well, less fun to drink. I'd rather have the Bastard straight, thanks. Next up is the Double Bastard that's in my fridge. (1,143 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark red with nice head. Aroma of pine hops and faint oak. Definite malt presence. Flavor has a nice oak up front and strong toffee malt. Hops give it a crisp finish. The dry sharp oak seems to wash out some of the nice regular arrogant bastard malt sweetness that balanced this beer. Not bad, but need to be in the mood for some oakiness for sure. A bit like chewing on a piece of wood. (393 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods in Portland. Pours a hazy copper body with a half inch of light tan head. Lemon, grapefruit, pith, pine, with some woodiness. Tastes citrussy, with pine, pith, lemon, grapefruit, wood, vanilla... Um, cat pee notes? Hints of caramel and toffee in the aftertaste. A little aqueous in the mouthfeel with light carbonation. This beer grew on me, but I must say I was much more impressed with regular Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard. Still, I'd love to try it on tap. (495 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

bottle, served in a tulip.

A - Cloudy amber red with plentiful light biscuit colour head. Good amount stays, leaving some nice lacing behind.

S - Hop aroma with good malt backbone. Oak, with light toffee and sugar.

T - Toffee malt with low carbonation at the beginning. Light pine hop at the finish, with a long aftertaste.

M - Not enough carbonation for my tastes. More like the amount in a cask. A little too thin, but stays in the mouth, which is redeeming.

I don't know if I'd have it again. Not my fav, but not that bad. Not a fan of cask ales, so maybe if it had a little more carbonation, I'd be more into it. (623 characters)

Aroma - A lot of citrus hops

Appearance - Dark amber red with a thick tan head

Taste - Definitely a lot of hops up front but plenty of malt to balance this beer. The hop bitterness lingers. I may be fooling myself here but I detected a slight woody aftertaste.

Notes - A good mouthfeel but a little more carbonation wouldn't have hurt. I really like Arrogant Bastard but this struck me as too hoppy. That can't be right. I'll mark this one down as a revisit candidate, maybe with a side by side for regular AB. (513 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Good clean flavors and an interesting departure from normal flavor- this brew poured a bubbly dark brown, very active and spewed out the earthy malts and signature stone hop profile. The taste was very different than i had expected. The oak took on a mineral quality as a flavor, almost metallic but not unpleasant. The aging process really melds the piney hops the aromatic wood together, like drinking the liquid flavors of an IPA combined with the almost cedar-like properties of the oak. Very nice, though the effect on my tastebuds was was irreversible for the night, making this one the finale for any future beer parties. (628 characters)

12 oz from total wine.

A - Dark maroon with lots of capuccino colored head. Dissipates slow with light legs.

S - Red Cherries, oak chips, anise, and honey.

T - Oaky, malty, and cherries.

M - Chewy, slightly bitter and dry. Not liking the ending bitterness. Way too much earthy hops.

D - The mouthfeel really throws off this beer. I really like the regular one though. (372 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Was somewhat frightened of this one going in since I don't have much experience with oak aged beers yet but I really enjoyed this brew. Nice off white head with a dark brown pour. Smell was wood, maybe alcohol in there as well. Flavor was surprisingly very smooth and not overpowering. Great stuff; would buy again! (315 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Color and Appearence : Dark amber with what appears to be a couple bits of charred oak.

Aroma: A light carmel scent.

Bitterness: Also lighter then expected when first tasted. Then it strikes from the back of the mouth much more fuller. Nice surprise.

Taste: The bitterness is not so overpowering that you find yourself wanting no more then one serving. No real aftertaste. Finishes clean. Was personally hoping for a stronger oak taste underneath the beer.

Carbonation: Fairly light with a quickly gone head after a hard pour. Ring around side of glass lasts through out. (575 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Opaque mahagnony in color. Half finger of white head, fades to a ring that hangs around.

Aroma is primarily oaky wood, earth, grainy malt, nuts.

Flavor lprofile serves up a similar malt profile found in red ales, but with the addition of faint brown sugar, spicy hops and a note of vanilla. Long bitter finish but its not too mich to take. More of a pleasant bittnerness.

Average mouthfeel. On the fuller side.

Overall enjoyable. I think I may like the unoaked version better as its hop profile is a bitter brighter and less bitter. But the oaky wood notes in this is nice. (581 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now. (1,292 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%

Strong hoppy aroma when first opened. First sips reveal a strong bitterness along with an earthy tone. The appearance has almost the same color as the bottle it came in, a dark brown. Has moderate thin lacing and a head that reduced real quick to almost nothing. Would of liked to see a bigger head for such a hyped beer.
Nicely carbonated with a full body. Leaves a very dry bitter finish. The hop flavor and bitterness hides any other tastes that might be present. Alcohol is well hidden making it easy to drink. I'm not really getting an aged ale with oak chip tastes.Maybe the earthy tone I tasted was the oak chips. It does taste different than regular Arrogant bastard which I prefer. It does have a slight sweet finish. I'm not really impressed with this. The price they were charging was outrageous at like $16.99 a six-pack. I only bought a single. (858 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip (like a beer microscope)

A - A beautiful deep dark brown. Poured aggressively and achieved a nice two finger light tan head - looks healthy. Head eventually settles to a nice little layer with decent retention and re-formation, good lacing. Bottle artwork is pretty typical Stone machismo and tiny text. It's cool but I'm a little over it.

S - Not as strong as I'd expect - a pleasant but faint hop aroma. Some malt appeared as it warmed up.

T - Took a few sips while this was maybe a little too cold - I'll let it warm up a little. Even when cold, though, the flavor is complex and changes as it lingers. Pretty cool. Mostly hop flavor, for me. It's been too long since I've had the regular version, so it's hard for me to pinpoint the differences of this oak version. The oak isn't really pronounced. I honestly am not sure I'd even pick up on it without being told it's supposed to be there.

M - Smooth going down, surprisingly thin. A bitter aftertaste leaves a dry heat all over your mouth. This is where some of the flavor complexity reveals itself, though.

O - It's good, but I'm not going gaga over this beer. I actually wonder if it has to do with the glass. I'd like to try it again out of something closer to a pint glass. I have very fond memories of this from about a year ago, but this didn't live up. Maybe that's the problem? I don't know. Maybe I'm just not "worthy." Definitely worth trying. I'm sure I'll have it again. (1,478 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.